good morning, sweetheart || t...

By SKYEPHOBIC

teru meets a familiar face in the diner he works at and is intrigued by the boy's lack of swooning. he makes... More

familiar
sweets
raspberry
deja vu
tears
selfish
empty
until then
adoration

oh

329 10 17
By SKYEPHOBIC

"Thank you again, nii-chan!"

Kou gave a bright smile as he thanked his brother. He held a bag tightly in his hands; it was filled with things he needed for his practice. Akane had organized it a few minutes prior because he claimed he 'couldn't handle seeing something so messy.'

"It's no problem," Teru smiled back. "Good luck. Make sure to let me know if Nanamine-san gives you any trouble."

"I will! And thank you, too, Aoi-senpai!" Kou bowed slightly, "Call me if anything happens with nii-chan! Don't let him in the kitchen, don't let him go near fire, don't let him cook anything- even if he's microwaving something, don't-"

"I think he gets the point, Kou. Ahaha.."

"I already know the warnings, Minamoto-kouhai. You're also embarrassing your brother." Akane bowed back, "You're welcome, just get going before you're late. Ao-chan doesn't like when people aren't on time, I'm sure Yashiro-san and Nanamine-senpai would agree."

"Okay, okay! Right!" Kou nodded, "See you later, Aoi-senpai! See you during lunch, nii-chan!!" He then rushed through them and hopped onto the sidewalk, almost tripping a few times while he ran off.

"He's gotten a lot taller since I last saw him," the redhead hummed softly, his hands holding onto the straps of his backpack. "He's almost my height now.. I'm scared for when Tiara's older."

"Being tall runs in our family," Teru chuckled, "feel free to make yourself at home."

"That's something Minamoto-kouhai would say.."

"Eh?"

"Nothing," Akane shrugged, stepping inside Teru's house like he had done it tons of times before. (At that point, Teru believed he might have.) "You've just never told me that."

"I don't know when else I had the opportunity to say that." he closed the door quietly before following close behind him. "But currently, I am trying to be a good host."

"Shocking," Akane snickered, it would've been the most he had ever talked about the past. "This place hasn't changed much.. if I knew I was coming over, I would've brought something for Tiara.. tch." he made his way to the living room, "Does she still like those popsicles I made during the summer?"

"Ah, well.."

"Right." he mumbled, "You don't remember." and for a second, he was quiet. (Teru wondered if he would cry again. He wasn't sure if the last time was his fault, but this time- it definitely would have been.) "I'll ask her myself if I ever come over again. I don't want to wake her up."

"Alright." Teru felt awkward. He didn't usually bring guests over, that was one thing- being charming and popular didn't automatically gain you friends, rather followers instead- but having the guy he didn't know if he loved or was just infatuated with was oddly suspenseful. Anything could have happened, he didn't plan any of it whatsoever. "You're free to sit down, if you'd like."

"At least your host 'skills' have gotten better.."

"Mhm."

The two sat on the couch together, side by side. For the most part they were silent, at least until Akane scooted closer.

"Your house has always been so cold.." he whispered, his body leaning against Teru's. "For a family that specializes in electricity, I thought it'd be a lot warmer in here."

"Would you like me to get you a blanket?"

"No, it's fine." his head rested on Teru's shoulder, "I'll manage. Thanks, though." he then took off his glasses, setting them to the side. "You're still comfortable."

The scenario felt natural to them.

To them, though. Not just Akane, who had experienced this before and had it burned into his memory. It felt natural to Teru, too.

It wasn't just because something similar happened at the park, or at least that's what Teru believed. Something else just felt so.. familiar. He wasn't sure how many more times he could use that word to describe them.

Familiar, familiar, familiar.. The word repeated in his mind so often that he couldn't even count it anymore. Akane's eyes were stuck in his memory way before they had even 'met.' His messy red hair had been something he adored years ago. It was like his heart longed to see him.

Because in the end, they weren't just strangers. They never were.

He put his hand on top of Akane's, trying to prove his point.

Akane intertwined their fingers casually. He didn't put any thought into it before acting.

God, what was wrong with him?

Teru felt awfully confused by it. For an entire month, he had been puzzled by things Akane said or did- he decided he finally had enough of it.

Akane could act like he was annoyed by his antics verbally, but would melt at any sort of real affection. Not the way the cheerleaders would get their hearts in a twist when Teru winked at them, but in an actual loving way. It was as if Akane wanted more, like he couldn't get enough-

Did Akane hate him? Was Akane in love with him? Did Akane even trust him? What did Akane really think of him?

"Aoi?"

"Yeah?" Akane mumbled, he seemed pretty interested in whatever was playing on the TV. "Wait, wait- this is my favorite part."

"Ah, alright."

"I don't care what we used to be," he held onto Teru's hand tightly, reciting the lines he heard. "I care about what we are now."

Teru blinked.

Those lines.. he had heard them before.

He really needed to bring up the past.

"Look," Akane pointed at a character with his free hand, "that used to be your favorite character. You'd always go on about how much he was like you.."

"Did I?"

"You did." there was a small smile on his face. "It's nice to rewatch this show. It's been a long time, I missed it."

Akane was content talking about the past. He was happy.

Teru had to take the chance. If he didn't, he would have been an idiot. (And that's not what he was. He was ridiculously selfish, but that was all.)

"Uh, what were you going to ask me?" Akane backed away slightly to look up at him. He lowered the volume of the TV to listen carefully.

Teru had to start with a smaller question, first. He couldn't just break it to Akane so suddenly, even if that's what he wanted to do.

"Could you be honest with me?" He made sure to keep his tone soothing. He didn't want to startle the other. "Why were you crying earlier?"

"Oh, that.." Akane's eyes darted away, "I told you, I got a B in math. That was it."

"I asked you to be honest."

He let go of Teru's hand, surprised he could see right through him. Usually he was the one who did that. "It's.. not much of a big deal, but I guess I could tell you. Just don't be a dick about it." he paused, "Do you remember when I used to come into the diner while calling someone?"

"Yes, I do." (for once, he remembered. Akane was thankful Teru remembered anything about him.) "You were often arguing with them."

"His name is Yamabuki-kun. We're exes." Teru could recall the first week Akane walked into the diner. Mei told him he had a horrible breakup. "It's not like he did anything bad!" Akane quickly added, "He's just been on my nerves recently, we can't come to an agreement about something and haven't for months.."

"For months?" the blonde thought for a moment, "I thought you two had broken up a month ago, though. Sometime around when you first started coming into the diner."

"Huh?" Akane mumbled, before a few giggles escaped his mouth. "Oh, you must be talking about those rumors.."

"Ah, not quite. Mei-chan told me."

"She must've heard about them, then." he glanced over at the TV, "We argued a few times at school and everyone was convinced we broke up. But we've been broken up since September, we've been just friends since then."

"Despite that, you two still argued about your relationship?"

"Yeah." his hands found their way onto his own lap, clutching onto the fabric tightly while he spoke. The conversation might have been stressing him out slightly. He probably didn't talk about it often, considering the rumors were never truly disproven. "Sometimes.. We still do. I wonder if.. It would've been better for him to forget, the same way you did."

The same way he did. God, dammit.

Everything Akane said only drew Teru in, making him more and more curious. It was like some sort of dangerous game between the two.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"It's fine. It feels nice to finally let that out- I haven't even told Ao-chan that," Akane sighed. "Guess I trust you a little more than I thought I did, huh? Well, that's new." he sounded slightly disappointed with himself. (He knew exactly why.) "I thought I knew everything already.."

Akane trusted him.

Akane trusted him. He admitted to it.

He must have been ready, then. He had to be.

"Could I ask you something else, if you don't mind?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure, go for it."

"Aoi.."

Teru whispered his name, slowly lifting a hand up and cupping Akane's cheek.

He wasn't sure how to bring it up. He hated that. He hated not knowing what to do or say. It was horrible, he'd never get used to it.

"This is sort of important, I'd say.."

Blue eyes stared into red.

"What.. what is it?" Akane's heart began to race, his face heated up instantly. "Just get to the point."

"Well.."

Teru leaned closer.

Akane did, too.

The gap between their lips was closed, creating a rather soft and sweet kiss.

The kiss was initiated by Akane. It had to be. By no means was kissing Akane that day Teru's goal. Teru didn't even think about trying to kiss him, at least not any time soon. Probably never, if he was being honest with himself.

But there he was, kissing him back.

Even if he enjoyed it, would it still count as meaningless teasing? He never expected to get that far, to get so interested- he planned to get Akane's hopes up and leave like he did with others.

He had no clue what Akane was thinking. By the looks of it, he was enjoying the kiss as well. His eyes were fluttered shut, and his arms snaked around the back of Teru's neck. Clearly, this wasn't just senseless fun anymore. This was something.

Akane was the first to pull away. He was left breathless, taking a few seconds to himself with a nervous smile on his face.

"Aoi,"

"Y.. Yeah?"

Akane was met with a confused expression.

"I was only going to ask," Teru tried to keep his composure. "About what happened between us in middle school."

"..what?"

"I didn't mean to kiss you. You.. must have taken this the wrong way."

"Oh,"

"Oh."

Akane's tone was unreadable. His expression changed from flustered to sorrowful in a matter of seconds as he pushed Teru away.

"It's past five thirty." he muttered as he swiftly picked up his bag, rushing towards the door. His voice was already shaky, Teru knew what that meant. "I have to go."

"Aoi-"

"Bye, Minamoto-san."

"Wait, don't-"

The house's door was slammed shut.

Teru didn't see Akane for the rest of the day.

He never came to the diner in the afternoons, even if a part of Teru prayed he would that day.

The two didn't live close by, either. They wouldn't cross paths on their way home- they went home at different times, either way.

They didn't even see each other at school. Teru went out of his way to visit room 211 as soon as he got there, but to no avail.

"Are you looking for someone?" a brunette was the only one in the empty classroom. There were a few scattered papers on one of the desks and the chairs seemed out of place. He watered plants by himself, there was no one else with him.

"Yes, I am. Have you seen Akane Aoi anywhere, perhaps?"

"He went home early.. Something about not feeling too well." the boy turned around to glare at Teru with his hazel eyes. They were the type someone could get lost in, but could be threatening if provoked as well. "I'm sure you'd know a thing or two about that, wouldn't you, Minamoto-senpai?"

"..Fuji-kun?"

"That's me." Suzuto gave a forced smile. "You remember me, but not Aoi-kun? It's no wonder he left here so miserable."

"That's only because we were acquaintances in middle school." Teru shook his head, not wanting to feel the guilt. "I've never met Aoi before.."

"You don't sound so sure."

"Well, he makes it seem like we have."

"Don't you ever wonder why?"

"Of course I do, but he hasn't told me. I've asked him plenty of times before, or at least implied it to avoid being so straight-forward. He only provides me with simple melodramatic answers, nothing more than that. It isn't my fault he's upset if he didn't want to tell me."

"You.." Suzuto sighed, "I was right about you. Aoi-kun said you had changed.. You're just as you were before. You're heartless, Minamoto-senpai."

"Heartless."

The conversation with Akane's 'friend' was surely something that'd be on his mind for a while.

For someone to go to the extent of calling Teru heartless.. He definitely must have done something wrong.

He hoped Akane would come to the diner the next day.

He didn't just need answers. He needed to apologize, too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.2K 1.4K 19
when you open this book, you think you'll get a love story, but you are horribly mistaken. this story is filled with sadness and one-sided love. but...
4.4K 146 21
What if you keep having to fake all these smiles? What if you finally let someone in? Come along in this roller coaster ride, with Minamoto Kou right...
12.8K 405 25
hanako-kun has gotten a new assistant forty years after nene's graduation! nene left the school after a tragic event. apart from that, the new assist...
314K 10.8K 36
"ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴇᴀʀᴅ...?" "ᴍʏsᴛᴇʀʏ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ 0, ᴋɪʀᴜᴍɪ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ." "ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴄᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴ ᴛɪᴍᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ ʜᴇʀ sɪᴛᴛɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ...