good morning, sweetheart || t...

By SKYEPHOBIC

teru meets a familiar face in the diner he works at and is intrigued by the boy's lack of swooning. he makes... More

sweets
raspberry
deja vu
tears
oh
selfish
empty
until then
adoration

familiar

1K 27 8
By SKYEPHOBIC

It was a freezing cold morning when Teru was cleaning off some dust from a restaurant's counter.

It was five am, to be exact, on what seemed to be like a very uneventful Friday- as most people were still sleeping. There usually wasn't a need to be up so early.

Teru had worked at that restaurant as a part-time job for a while, it was mainly for a little extra money. It's not like he really needed it, but he didn't have much else to do. His brother was a witch and his sister was often playing with her friends. He was the oldest out of all three, leaving him to watch his siblings slowly grow up. It was painful, sure- but eventually, he did realize they had to be independent.

"No, I- I can't do that right now, I'm busy." he was taken by surprise when he heard someone step into the diner. "Look, I'm sorry- hey, that- let me talk! That doesn't have to do with anything! Quit being so difficult, I'm- what do you mean it's my fault? You're being an asshole! What? Wait, don't-"

It was a boy with messy red hair, and red (with the slightest bit of blue that he adored) eyes that could take your breath away. He had freckles that littered his cheeks like millions of groups of stars, they seemed endless.

But the boy also had horrid eyebags, he looked as if he hadn't slept in months- maybe even years. He held a phone tightly in his hands, arguing with whoever was on the other line despite being in public.

Not exactly the best first impression, but at least he looked lovely.

"..fine, I'll see you after school. We can talk about it by then. Okay.. see you later."

"Good morning." Teru spoke up after he put his phone down, "Seems like today's a bit rough for you, isn't it?"

"..morning." the stranger grumbled, he looked extremely unhappy. Maybe that was his natural face? Teru couldn't tell. "Yeah. I think I know that."

"Mmh." the blonde blinked, not wanting to drive a pretty looking stranger away. He gave a charming smile, one that everyone else would fall for easily. "Well, would you like me to get you a seat? Do you prefer seats by the window, or by the counter?"

"I don't care. Just give me a seat,"

"Alright, then. Come with me."

He led the boy to a table by the window, placing a menu onto it. Now that they were a little closer, Teru realized how tired the guest really seemed. Not just that- but he didn't fall for his charm, either. What was up with this guy?

"You should be all set. Let me know when you want to order something,"

"Thank you."

"Anytime~"

Teru went back to dusting off his counter, glancing over at the stranger's direction every now and then. He didn't read the menu, nor did he really do anything at all. He sat still, with his head buried in his arms. If the diner employee didn't know any better, he'd assume the boy had died right then and there. He looked like some sort of beautiful zombie when he first walked in, after all.

"Pardon me," he tapped the mess of red hair, "hello?"

"Whaa..?" the guest lifted his head, looking up at Teru. "Oh, shit- I must've fallen asleep, or something.. dammit."

"Mhm." he would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't curious, intrigued by this boy's lack of awareness. He was odd, but in an interesting way. "Are you alright there? Usually our customers don't pass out on our tables."

"Sorry, sorry.." the stranger mumbled, "I'm fine,"

Clearly, that wasn't true- just by looking at him, you would know he was going through something. Teru didn't push any further, though. "Well, have you chosen what you want to order? It's been a good while since you've arrived here."

"Uhm, could you get me something warm to drink?"

"Something warm?" he tapped his chin, "Anything specific? We have coffee, tea.."

"Anything works. Just.. whatever ten dollars can get me."

Maybe him being pretty couldn't hide the fact that he seemed kind of pathetic.

"I'll have your drink ready soon, then. May I ask for your name?" how smooth. "That way, I can remember who it's for."

"Huh? Oh, sure. Aoi Akane.."

He sounded extremely out of it. He was the only customer there.

"Thank you, Aoi-kun. I'm-"

"Minamoto Teru. I know," Akane muttered, "everyone in the academy talks about you. No need to introduce yourself.. plus, we've met before."

"Ah, I see." Teru knew he was popular already. He knew he was charming, attractive, anything under those lines. "I must not have recognized you." he really didn't. He was almost completely unaware of what that was about. "Well, I wouldn't like to keep you waiting much longer. I'll be back."

Akane nodded, his face hidden in his arms once again as Teru walked away.

"Mei-chan,"

"Yes?" a girl from the kitchen peeked through the serving hatch, "Oh, is there a customer already? So early in the morning? What would they like?" Mei, was her name- she was one of Teru's closest friends. She was rather energetic no matter the time of day, she easily cheered people up. "Oh, is it the guy over there? Is that Aoi-kun?"

"Could you make him a hot chocolate, please? He- ah, you know him?"

"Mhm! We have some of the same classes.. he's the star student of all of them! Always working and working- Akane-san says he almost never stops!" Mei smiled as she rambled, finding it easy to make the hot chocolate while she spoke at a rapid pace. "Is he alone today? Oh, wait! That's right!"

"What's right?" Teru often found it difficult to keep up with her words. She changed topics easily, but he enjoyed her company either way.

"He had a fight with his partner in front of everyone in class.." she shook her head, "something about him being too busy to go on dates anymore.. it was kind of sad. Aoi-kun got really frustrated, no one was really on his side. He was upset that they didn't talk to him in private."

"Did they break up?"

"No one's really sure. He hasn't talked to Akane-san about it, and Nene-chan doesn't seem to know what's going on, either.."

"Well, thank you for letting me know." Teru was in shock, surprised he hadn't heard about what had happened at school. He then looked over in Akane's direction, it seemed he was sleeping again.

"Don't be too mean to him, 'kay?"

"Eh?" he turned back to Mei, a dumbfounded look on his face. "What do you mean? Why would I be mean to him after what you told me?"

"You and I both know!" she huffed, "Don't play with his heart! He's had enough of that already!"

"I wasn't planning on it.. what are you going on about, Mei-chan?"

"I saw how you looked at him as soon as he walked in! I wasn't sure if it was really him, at first." she put a cup on the serving hatch, to which he took. "If you're going to flirt with him, be nice about it! Don't do the same thing you did with Nene-chan!"

"I didn't mean to do that to her-"

"You do that with all the girls!" she playfully hit his head with a wooden spoon. "You use your charm on them and then leave! Lead them to me if you're gonna be like that! I'll treat them better!"

"Okay, okay! I get it!" he chuckled, "Now let me give him his drink. School starts in a few hours, do you want us both to be late?"

"Oh, right!" she fixed her loose ponytail, "I promised I'd take my little sister for ice cream today after school. Akane-san and Yugi-kun are coming along, do you wanna come with us?"

"If Yugi-kun's there, we'll end up making a scene.."

"Awh, man.. I forgot about that!" she frowned, "It's always fighting with you two! You need to learn how to get along!" though, it wasn't long before her cheerful smile returned. "Never mind that, though! Don't make Aoi-kun wait any longer!"

"You were the one making me wait." he smiled back, before walking towards Akane's table once more.

He placed the drink onto the table, looking down at the boy with a small sigh. Either Akane was one of those weird people who could sleep wherever they wanted without struggle, or he was plain exhausted- overworked, as Mei described him.

"I have your drink," he tapped Akane's shoulder, "goooood morning, dear~"

"Huh..? Oh, yeah, good morning.."

Did he not register the pet name at all? Teru knew he was tired, but enough to brush off that?

"You seem awfully tired."

"You're pointing out the obvious." Akane mumbled, before holding onto the cup. He took a sip out of it, "Hot chocolate.."

"That's right." Teru clasped his hands together, "Is that all you'd like today? Would you like anything to eat, or maybe a small desert?"

"I'm good, thank you." the redhead replied, "I have stuff to do, and I don't have the money for that right now.. oh, uhm, how much was the drink?"

"Ah, it's on the house. Don't worry about that." he gave his signature smile that made everyone swoon. "Doing work at five in the morning? Isn't it a bit early?"

"It's never too early to get some work done, Minamoto-san." Akane didn't seem to care for the smile at all. "On the house..? Is business here bad, or something?"

"Ahaha~ well, aren't you funny?" Teru muttered under his breath, slight scorn laced in his voice. "It was simply an act of kindness. You have such low expectations.."

"..sorry," Akane sighed, "I'm grateful. I'm just really tired."

"Mhm," the former paused, remembering what Mei had told him. "I can tell. Would you mind telling a stranger what's going on?"

"Huh?"

"This may sound extremely sudden, but I'm intrigued by you, Aoi-kun." he spoke in a soothing tone, "You seem like quite the interesting person, why don't you tell me what has you so down?"

"Ah," for a second, he could've sworn he saw a spark in the tired boy's eyes- as if no one had asked him that question before (and that was likely, judging by his personality..). "no thanks."

"Eh?" Teru blinked in confusion, "Why not?"

"Tch, I don't know you that well." Akane huffed, "Who do you take me for? One of the girls at the academy? I won't be fooled so easily."

"Is that so? For a moment or two, it seemed my charm was winning you over-"

And to that, he burst out laughing.

Teru adored the sound.. it was oddly familiar. Maybe Akane was right. Were they friends before?

"Minamoto-san, don't tell me.. are you trying to win me over? We just met!"

"That isn't what I'm trying to do. I just feel a little sympathy for a stranger, but if you want me to win you over, I certainly can without trouble."

"You're worse than I thought."

"You've thought of me?"

"Now you're just flirting with me!"

"That wasn't my intention."

"Fine, fine. Whatever," Akane's smile was temporary, it wasn't long before it returned to an exhausted look. "But I'm fine, no worries. I just have an assignment I need to do today. Thanks for the 'sympathy,' though. It's appreciated."

So he wouldn't budge. Teru made a mental note that Akane was stubborn.

"Anytime."

"Yeah, well, anyways- I should probably get going."

"Already?" the blonde watched as Akane searched through his pockets, "It's only around five thirty, school doesn't start until eight."

"I'm in a club."

"That requires you to be on school grounds two hours before it even starts?"

"Yes, what are you so curious for?" Akane huffed, pulling out three quarters from his pocket. "I just really have to go. Here's a tip- sorry, I don't have a full dollar on me. Just a ten dollar bill." he scurried off of his seat and onto his feet, shoving the coins into Teru's hands. "Excuse me."

"Awh, what a shame.. Don't you want to talk a little more?"

"No, not really." he then reached for his hot chocolate, taking a sip of it before continuing. He walked towards the exit as he spoke, "Bye, Minamoto-san."

"Alright, then. See you around, darling."

Teru looked down at the coins in his hands, then back at Akane- who looked as if he wanted to say something, but instead remained silent.

"Yeah, see you around."

And with that, he watched as a mess of red hair and lopsided glasses rushed out of the diner.

He hoped Akane would come again, sometime.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1K 22
*CONTAINS MANGA SPOILERS* Manipulation, lying, fear. After Yashiro Nene becomes aware that her life is coming to an end, the trio struggle with how t...
36.2K 1.3K 22
what happens when a blunt, straightforward girl, gets asked by one of the most popular boys in school to be his fake girlfriend? Rindou x reader!!! A...
37.7K 1.3K 21
โ ๐…๐‘๐Ž๐Œ ๐๐Ž๐– ๐Ž๐, ๐ˆ'๐‹๐‹ ๐๐„ ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐Ž๐๐„ ๐˜๐Ž๐”'๐‹๐‹ ๐Œ๐€๐‘๐‘๐˜ โž said the two boys at different times ๐—œ๐—ก ๐—ช๐—›๐—œ๐—–๐—› , ๐˜บ/๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ต๏ฟฝ...
83.4K 3.6K 24
[m.teru x reader] "สŸแด‡แด›'s ส€แดœษด แด›แด ษดแด‡แด แด‡ส€สŸแด€ษดแด… แด›แดษขแด‡แด›สœแด‡ส€! แดแด€แด‹แด‡ ษชแด› แด€ แด˜สŸแด€แด„แด‡ แดกสœแด‡ส€แด‡ แดกแด‡ แด„แด€ษด ส™แด‡ แด›แดษขแด‡แด›สœแด‡ส€ า“แดส€แด‡แด แด‡ส€." In which where a normal civilian meets with pr...