COTE: Last Elite Standing

By Kawaii_Lumine

4 classes are pitted against each other in a life or death situation! And while most students are winning to... More

Episode 0: ..........
Episode 1: Hell under the guise of ' Paradise'.
Episode 2: Game 1: Protect the murderer!
Episode 3: Ayanokoji hates this game!
Episode 4: Recklessness...
Episode 5: Days...and days.....until...?
Episode 6: The traitor is none other than Ayanokoji Kiyotaka!
Episode 6.5: A game between the Director and Ayanokoji?
Episode 8: Conversation with my adversaries..
Episode 9: Truth or Lies
Episode 10: Broken Bond.
Episode 11: Suzune and Kikyo
Episode 12: Hope?
Episode 13: Victory within reach
Episode 14: Perfect Victory
Episode 15: He who assumes the role....
S2. Episode 0: Human
S2. Episode 1: Welcome to London!
S2. Episode 2: Survey....
S2. Episode 3: Nagumo Miyabi.
S2. Episode 4: Everybody hates you, Horikita
S2. Episode 5:Tell me, Ayanokoji-kun....
S2. Episode 6: Mirror.
S2. Episode 7: A different ' him'
S2. Episode 8: Choose your truth.
S2. Episode 9: Does the Devil exist?
S2. Episode 10: The Third Game...
S3. Episode 0: Family.
S3. Episode 1: The line between Ally and Foe
S3. Episode 2: The inflatable bed.

Episode 7: Outcast.

2.9K 162 83
By Kawaii_Lumine

Ayanokoji PoV

( Saturday )

I sighed.

I got up from my bed and felt the soreness from my bruises on my body.

" Ah.....Sudo you really didn't hold back, huh..." I mused. I'm only starting to feel the pain now since my adrenaline rush has long gone.

I checked the time and it was currently 9 am. How unusual, I slept like a log. I usually wake up quite early due to my fatigue and bruises, I suppose my body will ignore my natural wake-up time just this once in order to heal faster. I groaned in slight pain when I tried to stretch my back to pop a few cracks, however, these bruises are quite troublesome since the soreness only increases if I abuse my movements too much.

Well, it's a good thing I stopped by the clinic last night, and the nurse handed me some bacitracin antibiotic ointment....

Speaking of which, I should begin applying it now and also check if I have ice packs ready in the freezer. I slowly stood up , careful not to prompt my soreness any further, and slowly made my way to the drawer where I kept away the medicinal ointment. 

I opened the drawer and took out the tube of bacitracin and slowly maneuvered my way towards my study desk where a chair was situated in. I pulled the chair and slowly sat down. I took another look at the instructions and it says I have to either get cotton buds, cotton, or just rub it gently on the wound with surgical gloves.

Well, I have some cotton, I guess. 

I took out the bag full of cotton balls and placed them in front of me. I began unscrewing the tube's cap until I began hearing a soft knocking on my door.

Who could that be?

I sighed. Nah, perhaps it's better to just ignore it for now, I still have to deal with these bruises and a few cuts on my face. Choosing to ignore the knocking, I continued unscrewing the cap but stopped once the knocks began sounding louder with each attempt.

Perhaps ignoring it is NOT an option...

I slowly got up and made my way towards the door. I looked through the peephole and was quite suprised seeing  that person from the other side of the door. I opened the door and there she stood with her gradient-crimson eyes.

" Good morning, Ayanokoji-kun..." Kushida greeted  with a small wave.

" Kushida? Ah, good morning." I returned her greeting. I wondered why she was here, and what's with that bag she's holding?

Suddenly, she presses the aforementioned bag towards my chest.

" Here..." She said.

" What is it?" I asked after taking it.

" The clothes you gave me yesterday. I said I'd return them to you, didn't I?" She chuckles.

Oh, that's right. I do recall lending her some spare clothes after having pushed her into the fountain....

" Ah, thank you." I nodded in gratitude.

" Are you okay?" She asked me with worried eyes. She must be staring at my bruised face.

" I'm okay." I assured her, though I don't quite understand why she should care about someone like me after what I'd done.

" Do you have medicine for your bruises?" She asks.

" I do. I was about to apply them until you came knocking-" But before I could finish, she quickly excused herself into my room.

" Let me apply them for you!" She says.

"...."

Why? What are her intentions? 

" Kushida, I can do it myself-"

" No, please. Will you me do it for you? " She turns around and gives me the puppy eyes. Most boys wouldn't dare defy her wishes when she gives you these eyes which radiates pure cutesy....

"...Most of the bruises are on my body. And I don't really feel comfortable in showing it..." I tried to persist in having her leave.

She shakes her head, " It'll be okay! I can be gentle in applying it." Giving me a completely unrelated answer.

That's not the problem......do you even SEE the problem..?

" Please?" She pleaded once more.

I sigh internally. I doubt she'll leave unless I become a bit more forceful, however, I do not wish to have to resort to that again especially at a trivial time such as this. I might as well just let her stay and do whatever she wants so she can leave.

" All right....I'll let you apply it. " I relented and she seemed happy about it.

------------------------------------------------------------

After preparing some ice packs for later. I began taking off my shirt.

" A-Ayanokoji-kun......" I hear Kushida gasp. Though it was to be expected since....

I then felt a tingle on my back, she was gently gliding her finger on my skin.

" You have....so many scars...." She muttered.

This is exactly why I preferred you leave...

" I don't have much bruises on my back, so could you please start with my front? Sudo punched my abdomen more times than I could count." That's a lie. I definitely counted it subconsciously. He punched my abdomen 15 times.

She sighs before unscrewing the tube of  the bacitracin ointment. She squeezed a bit of the ointment on a ball of cotton and then I turned to her, having her face my upper body while she sat down.

Her face reddens a bit. Though I wonder why? It couldn't be because she's sick....perhaps she's flustered?

I've read a few mangas where the male protagonist was in this same situation with their love interest and usually, the girl would blush once she saw the bare upper body of their lover. 

But, I'm not exactly her ' love' now, am I?

Nonetheless, she began slowly applying the ointment gently on my bruised areas. Her delicate hand carefully rubbed the soaked cotton against my dark-colored bruises in a circular motion but sometimes she'd resort to either vertical or horizontal motion depending on how bruised the area is and its vague shape.

" Does it hurt?" She asks after a while.

" It does."

" Eh? How come your face doesn't look like it hurts...?"

" It's not necessary for someone to express their pain by contorting their faces, you know? If they say it hurts then it most likely hurts. "

" I know that. But it's different when Ayanokoji-kun says it hurts....not only do you have such a stoic face.....the same applies to your monotone voice. So can you really blame if I thought otherwise?"

Hmm, she has a point. Perhaps I hold a bit of fault in that area, yet at the same time I couldn't do anything about it. This has always been who I am.

" Though..." She pours ointment on a new cotton before proceeding to rub my other bruised spots.

" Ayanokoji-kun's face....was scary yesterday...."

" Was it?" I didn't realize.

She simply nods. I was curious of what face I made so I decided to pursue further information regarding this.

" What face did I make?"

" You were grinning....when you started to fight back against Sudo-kun you were grinning....it gave me the same vibe as that of the director. Not only that, but also your eyes...it was frightening really...." She told me honestly.

I was grinning? That's new. This information is quite shocking....but interesting.  

" And your words were also scary....even scarier than when you confronted me yesterday about....you know...."

" I apologize for that. And I also apologize for scaring you." Perhaps I should change the topic?

" It's okay...I got over it." She says, and yet I could feel her uncertainty with her own words. She's lying for my sake, but I don't necessarily care if she starts fearing me or not.

" Can you turn to the side, Ayanokoji-kun?"

" Hm?"

" There are some bruises on the sides. I want you to turn to the side so I can apply it efficiently."

I did as she asked me to and turned to the side, letting my right side face her while I lifted my right arm so it wouldn't get in the way.

She began applying some ointment on that too.

" Ayanokoji-kun? Can I ask something?"

" I won't guarantee you an answer."

" That's fine....please answer if you feel comfortable but can I still ask?"

I sighed. " Sure."

" Why do you have so many scars around your body?"

There was no other question she'd ask other than the obvious. Indeed, I understand her curiosity and shock after seeing this many scars on the body. But the details of how I got these scars are something I can't explicitly say to her. However, I can try to mix in the truth with a few lies so her curiosity can be satiated for the time being.

" I lived in a not-so-friendly home." I told her.

"...Was this the result....of abuse?"

" Yes." I lied.

" ....I'm sorry..."

She stopped her movements, placing her hands on her lap. I let my right arm fall to the side and I turned to look at her. She wore a guilty expression but what for? 

" Why are you apologizing?" I asked.

" W-Well....now I know why you didn't want to tell me....so I'm apologizing for pushing the topic further....I'm sorry." She says.

If that's the case, then what's the point of wearing an expression of guilt? Kushida says this and that but her face doesn't match with her words. She says she feels bad for pushing me to tell her this believable excuse, but her face says that she's feeling ' guilty' for me.

But why is that? She wasn't involved in my past. She wasn't the one who received these scars, she wasn't the one who delivered these scars. So why look guilty for something you didn't know of until now? Is this a normal human trait? To feel guilt for others?

It seems like I still have a lack of understanding when it comes to the human heart ( metaphorically speaking) and the emotions it contains.

Still, I better quell her unnecessary anxiety. I gently patted her head in a comforting manner.

" It's all right. I don't think much of it and it hasn't really affected me emotionally at all." That remains true, though deep down, I wish it did.

" A-Ah...okay..." She seemed to calm down, taking deep breaths and I retracted my hand once she was all right.

I will admit, although I don't understand Kushida's intentions on coming here and feeling ' guilt' for my half-baked truth...

It felt nice being cared for even if this was just falsity from my end....

---------------------------------------------------------------

( Monday )

The soreness has gradually decreased over the weekend but that doesn't mean it was gone fully, rather, it's just that I don't really notice the pain now unlike two days ago when it was at its peak. I walked towards my classroom and I could feel the air of awkwardness just radiating from the Class D's door.

I began to brace myself as I gripped the door handle, ready to slide it open.....

Fwoop! I proceed to slide the door open and took one step in....

Everyone was talking at first until they noticed my presence and thereafter came silence...their eyes piercing my very being. Their eyes full of fear, nervousness, anything negative that they're feeling is probably because of me. I expected this anyways.

I sighed to myself, and decided to ignore their gazes. I made my way to my assigned seat and sat down quietly. Everybody soon resumed talking although they resorted to whispering and it was clear to me that they were whispering about Ayanokoji Kiyotaka, the class traitor....

The outcast.

Another individual soon slid the door open and in came the man whom I beat up and almost....almost killed. The red haired boy's eyes instantly landed on me and fear immediately began to surge within his gaze but he quickly averted his eyes and also quietly took his seat.

 Everyone noticed this.

Despite that, some boys began to huddle around Sudo's desk and greeting him good morning while talking about random things, though I'm willing the bet that I am involved as a topic in their conversation. Nonetheless, it seems as though Sudo has made some friends while on the contrary, I threw away my chance of making friends.

Was I jealous? Just a bit.

But this jealousy can't last for long since I'm now duty-bound to 'win' in order to secure my freedom. Betraying Director Lumine will hold great uncertainties in my future that I'm not too eager to really deal with, so for the time being, I shall faithfully abide to our agreement from a game I lost against her.

I began staring at the window once more, admiring the outside but little by little, a bit of boredom begins to surge after staring at the same sight everyday. Humans will always seek for something new to try, new to see, new to feel....they never stay at one spot, but once they mature and grow older, they'll soon appreciate the things they've seen in the past and will often flock towards it for nostalgia when given the chance.

But I am still young and without too many memories to cherish, thus, I am still far from feeling the sense that is Nostalgia....

" Good morning Ayanokoji-kun!" A familiar voice interrupted my train of thought.

Everyone was silent once more, it must be due to the shock of someone actually greeting me with such chipper tone despite of what had transpired the week before.

I felt myself sighing internally. I already know who it is, her voice is obvious, but I desperately wished she just kept silent like everyone else and ignore my existence. 

Still, it'd be unnecessarily rude of me if I fail to return her greeting, which in turn, would only worsen my reputations in this class.

I turn to her and gave a nod.

" Good morning, Kushida..." I blandly greeted her. Responding with the same cheerful tone would only make the situation seem more awkward.

She nods, and thankfully enough she said no more and headed back to her circle of friends.

What was that about? I wondered.

There was really no need for her to do that, but then again, this is the kind angel " Kushida Kikyo" greeting an outcast like me despite what I had done. But is she really an angel? Her story about her and Horikita and the self-destruction of her class still remains in question.

It looms over me; Which one is telling the truth? Which one is telling the lie?

" Good morning....Ayanokoji-kun..." I hear my seatmate greet me. I spared her a glance and she remained stoic but her movement contradicts that.

Her fingers were fidgeting as she read her book. 

" Good morning, Horikita." I returned the gesture nonetheless.

And that was that. We spoke no further. It wasn't going to be like before and I don't know about her, but I'm pretty fine with it.

A few minutes later, Chabashira-sensei strolled in and looked at all of us.

" Good morning, Class C." She greeted with a rare smile on her face.

The classroom was silent. Everyone was in disbelief or contemplating whether or not Chabashira-sensei was aware of the class she in.

" Sensei?" Hondo raised his hand.

" Yes, Hondo?"

" You do realize which class you're in, right?"

" That's right." She nods. " I'm in Class C."

"...."

" HAH?!" My classmates simultaneously expressed their shock.

" S-SENSEI ARE YOU FEELING ALRIGHT?!"

" SENSEI ARE YOU DRUNK OR SOMETHING?"

" SENSEI MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE THE DAY OFF!"

My classmates seemed worried for her health, unaccepting of sensei's words or rather, they simply could not believe it. It was understandable but......

" Enough!" Chabashira glared at all of them.

"...." Everyone shuts up.

Chabashira sighs, massaging her forehead, before saying;

" During the first game, Class D had won 500 Class Points. With that, they surpassed Class C's amount of class points and thus overtook them and became the new Class C. " She explained.

" SINCE WHEN?!" They all asked in shock mixed in with joy. 

" Are you sure you want to know?" She asked.

" Of course, sensei. We must know since....I didn't really get to see what happened but I heard news that the traitor won.....so this doesn't add up....how did we earn the points?" Hirata, who was finally back in class, had said.

Speaking of which, those who were shocked unconscious or eliminated via vote were simply detained and stayed in a special room until game 1 finishes. Once it did, the detainees were released. Ijuin is still a bit awkward for what he'd said back when he was eliminated, but my classmates don't seem to mind his presence. It seems like he rekindled his relationship with this class even if it's a little bit.

Unlike me.

" Very well, you might be shocked but since you want to know. Then I'll tell you." Chabashira said with finality.

My classmates nodded vigorously.

Chabashira lifts her index finger and proceeds to point at something.....or rather someone....

" Ayanokoji." Was all she said as her finger landed in my direction.

My classmates immediately turned their heads to me but then turn to Chabashira-sensei with confused looks.

" What does....ugh....Ayanokoji...have to do with anything?" Karuizawa hesitated to say my name, though I could sense the disgust in her tone.

My classmates also shared the same question.

Chabashira sighs.

" Ayanokoji....won through the secret route in which he eliminated all the class murderers including his own, at once." She explains.

" W-Wait....so even though he betrayed us.....we won 500 class points?"

" Did he do it on purpose?"

" If he did, then why didn't he just tell us?"

" S-Should we thank him? Ah...but...he was so scary yesterday." A girl named Mei-Yu Wang expressed her hesitation.

My classmates were whispering to each other, debating if they should express their gratitude or just leave it be. I sighed at this. Why can't they just shut up and accept the 500 class points? besides, I hadn't anticipated that ' bonus' from Lumine in the first place. 

The very root of my intentions was selfishness and now they're debating on whether or not I was selfish or selfless. How annoying....

My classmates glanced at me but said nothing.

Thank the heavens.

-----------------------------------------------------------

( Lunch time)

I ate alone in a table. Apparently, a ' free week' meant that this school would actually function like an actual ' school' for an entire week before we are eventually dragged into another game the week after. Seems like the Director was kind enough to give us a little break....

Well, knowing her, this is more of ' preparation time' for whatever extravagant she has planned for us, rather than a break for the students. I'm already dreading it but I have a protection point, so I can use it at any time in case the game is something I truly want nothing to do with.

" May I sit here, Ayanokoji-kun?" Kushida's voice interrupts my thoughts again. Why is she doing that?

" Hm?"

" May I sit here?" She repeated her question.

This girl....what are her intentions....why is she trying to talk to me so often...

" Sure." I decided to accept so I can ascertain her motives.

She nods happily and sits down....on the seat beside me.

" Kushida."

" Hm?"

" Why are you doing this?"

" Doing what?"

I narrowed my eyes at her.  Seriously, I'm trying to eat in peace and yet she has the gall to act dumb with an outcast like me. I've already accepted my title, anticipated it the moment I decided to go with the traitor route.

I wish I'd anticipate Kushida's actions, since I really have no idea on her reasons for getting so close to me. At first, I thought that maybe she wants to get to know my past or have me relay to her some private information but that doesn't seem to be the case. Her actions seem honest and her words contain nothing but friendliness.

With this, it's hard to tell whether or not this is some 'act' but I have no reference to base my suspicions on it. I haven't yet proven whether Kushida was telling at the time so our interactions and her intentions are quite tricky for me to discern.

" Why are you acting weird around me? You're always trying to take time to talk to me...." I decided to get straight to the point.

"....Um..." She averts her gaze towards her food. I took a peek at her expression by tilting my head slightly and noticed that her face was red again.

Seriously, why is she so flustered? We're not lovers. And I doubt she has a crush on me or something.

" W-Well..." She stutters and promptly clears her throat before continuing.

" I already told you before that....as much as possible, I'd like to get along with everyone. Even after what you did, even if our classmates deem you as an ' outcast'. I want you to know that it doesn't matter to me.....that's all..." She said.

Ah, that makes sense then...

" I see. Well, worry not. You and I are still on good terms, it seems. So there's no need to go so far as to sit with me at lunch when you could spend better time with your friends."

" Huh?" She makes a confused sound and looks at me with a look I can't really define. But it almost looks like she was offended.

" What?" I asked.

" Are you implying that I don't have fun spending time with you?"

I stopped mid-bite. Now it was obvious that she WAS offended but it didn't make sense. Nevertheless, I decided to shoot the question back to her.

" Are you trying to say that you do?" I asked.

" Yes." Was her answer.

" ....I can never understand you, Kushida." I sigh. " But I'm quite flattered and a bit happy that you do have fun when you're around me."

" Or maybe you just don't accept the truth, Ayanokoji-kun. Perhaps it's not a matter of understanding but rather you seem to try hard in finding an answer that suits your taste. That's why you doubt me." She chuckles.

....Interesting choice of words, Kushida.

While I can't deny that there is a bit of truth there within your statement, you're not wrong about me finding an answer that benefits me or in your words, " suits my taste", however, you're wrong about me regarding the acceptance of truth. 

In a bout between human beings, in an attempt to discover the truth and the lies. 

There are three 'truths'.

Person 1 tells their truth of the problem at hand, it's likely that the prosecutor will believe them first since they shared their side of the story first.

Person 2 then begins to retell the story from their perspective, which in turn, becomes person 2's truth of the matter at hand. It's likely that the prosecutor will have doubts on person 2's testimony.

And now the third truth....

The third truth only begins to realize....once the prosecutor finds the liar between person 1 and person 2.

And you're person 2, Kushida.

Your actions in recent times has me become wary of your presence, I still try to keep cool just so I could get close to you enough and yet, it is always you who initiates our conversations. It's almost like your subtly trying to lead me on and follow your ' truth' while completely disregarding Horikita's truth for she is person 1.

I feel as if I need to discover the truth soon or else either one of you will cause destruction within the class.

But before that, I need to confront Horikita regarding her opinion on Kushida's side of the story....

But suddenly, a new voice interrupts my thoughts.

A lunch tray was placed on our table.

I look up from my food to discover that the culprit was none other than Ryuuen Kakeru of Class C.

" Well, Well...if it isn't the traitor."

He grins.

Before I could open my mouth to speak, another sound begins to enter my range of hearing.

Clonk. Clonk. Clonk. Clonk

Both Ryuuen, Kushida, and I turns to see where that noise was coming from and to my suprise it was none other than Sakayanagi Arisu of Class A. And with her, a girl with purple hair whom I presume is Kamuro Masumi, had accompanied her.

" Fufu~ Seems like Ryuuen-kun beat me to it. Though I feel as if we're missing one person, don't you agree?" Sakayanagi spoke with a smug smile. The girl beside her, Kamuro, seemingly scoffed and completely fed up with having to follow this girl.

As if on cue, another voice and hopefully the last, had entered the conversation....

" I believe that'll be me!" 

Ichinose suddenly arrives, greeting all of us with a wave and bright smile before also placing her lunch tray in our table. Kushida looks between the people present on our table and she seemed incredibly intimidated.

I, however, kept a calculating gaze on each of them present.

And as if it was planned...

They all began staring at me too.

CHAPTER END!

The class leaders....the icons of this fic's cover....will finally interact in the next episode!

This was a bit rushed if you didn't notice. I was supposed to include more but I decided to change my plans a bit and save it for next episode!

I'm excited to write a conversation between these four individuals in a fic like this. Especially after knowing who the traitor of Class was after the end of the first game!

I'll see you in the next episode!

KawaiiLumine, out~

( Btw, I'm considering making ' special' episodes soon that will explain Lumine's backstory.....but it's just a consideration. I just wanna focus on the main plot for now so maybe I'll write it after I'm satisfied  with how far the plot has gone.)

Ok for realsies,

KawaiiLumine, out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 80 6
Masterpiece, Demon Lord of White Hell, survivor of the fourth. He had many titles, but the only thing Ayanokōji Kiyotaka considered himself was a too...
162K 5.9K 68
This is the story of an "average" boy attending ANHS as a member of class C. Where he makes new friends and enemies. How will he tackle the challenge...
47.6K 1.7K 28
Advanced Nurturing High School or simply called ANHS is a Japanese institution funded by the government and is a top class institution as many studen...
2.6K 144 4
Ayanokouji, the freedom-seeking boy has woken up to be confronted by a game. A challenge. A challenge which will sculpt his very life into something...