Help

By Sydney916569

Florence Young was taken by her mother from her brothers when she was five years old. Never forgetting her br... More

Heads Up!
Characters
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
epilogue
Thank you!

fifteen

39.3K 1.1K 424
By Sydney916569

F L O R E N C E

"I have a few questions for you too."

"Okay, ask me anything." Massimo answers.

"Why did our dad kill people?" I ask, catching him off guard. I watch as he tries to find the right answer. The answer that won't hurt me. The answer that I know he doesn't want me to know.

"Who told you this?" He chooses to ask instead.

"Jake."

"Is Jake the reason why you're upset?"

I nod. He sighs running his fingers through his hair. His eyebrows are furrowed, he looks stressed. He doesn't know how to answer my question.

"I want to tell you why our father did what he did, but I'm scared." He sighs. "I'm scared that you will not trust us anymore, I'm scared that you will look at me as if I am a monster."

"I won't." It's true, I have seen enough bad stuff in my life that nothing surprises me anymore. Massimo, and the boys, they are the only people I have left. Whatever our father did, or why he killed Jakes family. No matter what, they will forever be my brothers.

"Are you sure you want to know?" He seems unsure, as if telling me this secret is worse than me being oblivious to it for the rest of my life.

"No more secrets, they are bad." Last time I had a secret, I passed out and woke up in the hospital all embarrassed. If I can be more open with them, they can be more open with me.

"You're very right," he takes an awkward sip of his milkshake before settling his eyes back on me. "Our family, we aren't what we let the average person see." He whispers while looking around to make sure no one is listening. "We have legal businesses, and illegal businesses. Honey, our dad passed on his mafia to me."

He looks at me like he just dropped a massive bomb and he's just waiting for it to explode. He's all tensed up, and ready for an uproar.

"What is a mafia?" I scrunch up my face while asking the question way too loud. I quickly get hushed by Massimo, he's cringing.

I don't understand what is bad about a mafia. I don't even know what that is. I spent majority of my life studying, with my face in science and math text books. I had no social life, or access to the TV and the media. I stayed in my room, and spent my time napping or studying.

I've never heard of a mafia before. Unless something was mentioned in my science books chances are I will not have any idea what it is.

"You don't know what it is?" His eyes widen, his lips slightly parted in shock. I scrunch my face up again not understanding all of the hullabaloo.

I instead scoop up a fry and place it in my mouth. Chomping on it while slightly bopping around. Dom says it's a happy food dance. All I know is that I have been starving all week no matter what I ate two hours prior.

"Do you want to know what it is?"

I shrug. "Are you like a drug dealer?" I remember hearing about one of those at my old school. There were a lot of drug dealers wandering around the hallways. They always looked super dope.

"Well sort of... our business is illegal. We do some bad things in our business. We do not believe in torturing or killing innocent people. Just the people that wrong us."

"Did Jakes family wrong Dad?"

"Yes, I don't know who Jake is... but if he says Dad killed his family, chances are his family crossed paths with ours." I nod understanding. He looks at me with concern. "What did this Jake guy do to you?"

I hesitate but I know that I need to open up. Plus, if he's part of this mafia thingy than I am sure it wouldn't be wise to keep something so concerning.

"He's been following me around the halls, he stares at me in class, purposefully making me uncomfy."

"I'll kill him." He says without hesitation taking me back a little.

I look down at my fries counting only six left. I pout. "That's okay, maybe you can give him a very stern warning. No need to hurt him, just tell him that I want him to stop and he needs to leave me alone." I pick up a fry and chomp on half of it before looking up.

When my eyes settle back on Massimo's all I see is the warm smile stretched across his face. Like he's silently cooing at me, like I'm a baby.

I'm not a baby.

"What?"

"You're so cute. We can try talking to Jake if that's what you want." He says it like he's only telling half of the truth.

I nod, "okay good. Maybe he has feelings too y'know. He's probably very sad about what Dad did his family. I would be sad too if someone hurt you, Luci, Dom, or Emi. Maybe he has a brother like I do, y'know?"

If his face couldn't get anymore adoring it definitely did after my piece. I look back down at my empty red basket that once held fries but now has grease stains soaking the checkered paper. I pout because I'm still really hungry.

Seeing this Massimo slides his fries towards me. I mumble a sheepish thanks before scoffing that basket of fries down too.

His phone rings a minute later, he doesn't look at the notification as he watches me eat. It isn't until the phone starts ringing does he flip his phone over to see who is bothering him.

"Oh for the love of god." He grumbles to himself before accepting the call and placing the phone next to his ear. "What do you want Dominic?" A pause, the annoyance leaves his face replaced with a furrow of his eyebrows. He looks like he can't believe what he's hearing.

"What the fuck do you mean?" He raises his voice at Dom. I cringe feeling bad for Dominic. "Excuse my language Florence. What the hell did you do to him?!"

Another pause. Frustration and annoyance washes over his eyes before he sighs rubbing his eyes like he's exhausted. I think we stress him out too much. He probably needs a big hug.

"Okay, we will be there soon." He mumbles before hanging up. "Your brothers are idiots." He states looking up at me. "Let's go, we have to visit Lucien at the emergency room."

"What happened?" My eyes shoot open. I don't want Luci to be hurt.

"Dominic punched Lucien while playing hockey, just the usual. Let's go now." So I grab his hand and let him lead me out of the diner not missing how he left a fifty dollar bill on the table.

When we hop in the car and start driving to the emergency room that is when Massimo starts to rant.

"Every month it's something new with those two. I don't know why I let those stupid morons be within five feet of each other let alone on the ice with wooden sticks and sharp skates! They are stupid, stupid, stupid. Everyday it's something knew; oh Dom stole my parking spot! Lucien stole my phone and threw it into the pool! I swear to god Florence, every day those two test my patience. For my sanity, please, I beg you, do not be like them. I just can't believe them! I told them to not cause trouble because that is what they do all the goddamn time..." The rant goes on and on for a solid ten minutes until we pull up to the general hospital.

He's fuming as we walk into the emergency room, yet he still squeezes my hand, reassuring me that even though he's angry, he's there for me in case I need him.

"Lucien Young?" He asks once we reach the nurses station. The high desk is so tall that the top of my head skims the ledge. I cannot see anything behind the station. Massimo is tall enough though, he's leaning over the ledge watching the nurse who I assume is searching for Lucien in their database.

"Are you his family?" The nurse asks Massimo after her typing stops.

"Legal guardian," he points to himself and then points to me. "Little sister."

"Perfect, follow me." She says monotonously. Massimo wraps his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. "Lucien is fine, his nose is broken but we put it back in place. Make sure he doesn't do too much physical activity, and also change the bandages around his nose everyday." She finishes as she opens the door to his room letting us in.

Lucien's laying on the bed, his phone in his hand and his nose all bandaged up. Emilio is pacing and Dominic is fidgeting in his chair, that is however until he sees us.

"FLORENCE!" He screams with a wide smile stretched across his face. He prances over to me with his intention to squeeze the life out of me but before he can reach me Massimo flicks him on the forehead.

"Ow! What the hell!" He recoils.

"Your brother is laying on that hospital bed right now with a broken nose and you're shouting..." Massimo's lecture continues on as I leave his arms and make my way over to Lucien.

"Hey Flo." He greets me with a scratchy voice. I wave back. The worry drenched on my face is clear enough for him to read my mind. "I'm okay, it's just a bruise."

It's not a bruise the nurse says it's broken. But I don't say anything. Massimo is still lecturing Dominic in the background. He looks like a puppy getting yelled at for peeing on the floor.

"Hey Florence," Emilio crouches down infront of me. "Massimo told me something happened at school today, are you okay?"

I don't really know if I am okay. My minds been jumbled over the past two hours. I spoke, asked questions, found out family secrets, and now I'm back in the hospital because my one brother broke my other brothers nose.

So I shake my head. He sighs. "Well, if you need a hug or anything I'm around okay?" I nod with a grateful smile.

"Now you," Massimo finished off Doms lecture and directs his rage at Lucien. "What on earth made you set your brother off like that?!"

"Don't yell at me, I am crippled." Lucien defends.

"You're also a dingus." Dominic mentions.

"Dominic shut up." Massimo hold his hand out to Dominic. Emilio sighs as he sits down in the chair next to Lucien's bed. He opens his arms, so I happily walk into them and sit on his lap. I play with his zipper while I watch the on going argument.

"That's so mean Massimo." Dominic places his hand over his heart. I giggle.

"You're so fucking dramatic Dom." Lucien scoffs.

"You're a weak bitch." Dominic counters.

"Oh wow! How creative! It isn't like your fatass decided to tackle me from behind, spin me around, and then punch my goddamn nose!" Lucien raises his voice.

Uh oh.

"Oh my god." Emilio mumbles under his breath rubbing his eyes with his thumb and pointer finger.

"Well maybe if you weren't such a stupid hothead I wouldn't have jumped you in the first place!"

"Says the one who attacked me!" Lucien yells back at Dominic.

"At least I can get laid." Dominic brings up, which is completely irrelevant to the argument and downright nasty.

"I get laid." He states calmly. I cringe at this talk. Massimo seems like he has a migraine and Emilio is staying silent probably waiting for Massimo to erupt at them.

"Oh yeah to who?" Dom crosses his arms across his chest.

"People. Who do you sleep with anyways? Krystal Hemings?" Lucien tilts his head while scoffing.

"Well as a matter of fact yes. Yes I did spend a night with her, she was quite wonderful."

"I bet her STD's were wonderful too."

My eyes widen.

"WHAT?!" Dominic screeches I don't think he was informed about her diseases. At this point though, Dominic and his high pitched scream sent Massimo over the edge.

"THATS IT!" He screams causing the bickering brothers to shut their mouths. "You are both grounded I don't care if you are adults. You both act like boys Florence's age. Speaking off, what is wrong with both of you? Our little sister does not need to hear about your love lives or your potential STD's. Are we fucking clear?"

"Yes Massimo." Dominic bows his head in shame.

"Yeah Mass." Lucien agrees.

"Good. Now, Emilio you take Dominic to the nurses station. If he wants to sleep around he needs to be tested and—"

"BAHAHAHA!" Lucien bellows clutching his stomach as Dominic's guilty expression turns to one of annoyance. I stifle a giggle.

Emilio laughs before slowly helping me up. He walks out of the room with his arm around Doms shoulders. "Good luck Florence." He salutes. I smile and wave at the two boys.

By now Lucien's gone silent and it isn't until I look at Massimo do I realize why he's silent. The most pissed off, terrifying look I have ever seen rests on Massy's face and he's staring directly into Lucien's eyes.

"Please apologize to your sister." He directs to Lucien. The injured man looks towards me and motions for me to hop on his bed. So as careful as possible I sit next to him. His face is bruised the more I look at it. No traces of blood are present but the skin around his eyes are purple. It looks painful.

"I am sorry Flo, it was rude and inconsiderate of me. Also I apologize for everything else too." Nodding I open my arms. Not wasting a second, he pulls me on top of his chest. Hugging the life out of me.

"I'm going to go to the nurses station to deal with insurance and your meds Lucien. Florence keep an eye on him alright?"

Giving Massimo a thumbs up he nods before slipping out of the room.

Leaving me alone, cuddling with Lucien my mind begins to wander. What happened between Luci and Dom was funny. It distracted me from my hectic day. But now the exhaustion must have finally broke the barrier I have built up to stay awake.

Probably noticing this, Lucien sighs and starts to run his fingers through my hair.

"I don't know what happened at school today. But I am sorry I wasn't there to protect you." I shake my head and give his hand a squeeze letting him know I'm not mad at him.

"You must be exhausted, honestly, so am I. Should we have a nap?" Nodding right away, I finally let myself succumb to the exhaustion.

The smoothing of my hair, the slow breathing of his chest, and the occasional kiss to my hair only makes sleeping easier. Eventually we are both asleep and dreaming of anything that our unconscious minds can make up.

-

Heyyy, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.

I don't know if this is considered a spoiler since I've already mentioned how Florence will have some sort of medical condition, but I've decided what I want her condition to be. I think I am going to go with Type 1 diabetes. I did a bit of research today.

Anyways, I am building up to everything very slowly so I apologize for how late some chapters will be in the upcoming weeks. Once my summer break starts I'll have more time to write.

Also when I get to it, I'm gonna change all of the chapter names so if the chapter list looks different that's why.

I hope you all had the best days ever, I love you all! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 42.6K 52
Liliana has always had a bad life. Ever since she was five, her mother would date the wrong people who would corrupt her, and she was the one who alw...
Resilience By Swati

Teen Fiction

4.5M 131K 88
[COMPLETED] "Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more resilient." ― Steve Maraboli She has experienced more pain in her 15...
1.3M 30.1K 83
Briella,17, never had a stable family set up. She was left alone by the age of 7, to fend for herself. Her father hated her, abused her for her whole...
282K 6.7K 34
After being away from her loving family for 11 years, 16 year old Charlotte Emilio Valentino is finally reunited with her 6 overprotective, mafia bro...