Once Upon a Heart

By lucky03m

Stories straight from the heart. Traces of thoughts left on paper, of rainbows after rainfall, smiles after h... More

Foreword
My One and Only # Sneak peek
1# When Stars cross
2# Sprinkles of Stardust
3# A Sweet Lullaby
4 #A New Beginning
5# Little by Little
7# The Deep Buried Secret
8 # Broken but beautiful
9 # Homecoming
10# Bonding
11# In Love
12# A drizzle of love
13 #Siren's Song
14 # The Party
15 # The Conflict
16 # Heart's Home
17 # Our Little World
18 # A silent wish
19 # A surprise visit
20 # Finale

6 # Stars in dark

437 76 42
By lucky03m

Hello

As promised back with update.
Happy reading 💕
___
Swara tossed and turned on the bed, restless. Next to her, Tara slept peacefully and she knew Sanskaar was out there sleeping equally peacefully.

“My Mom sang this to Uttara every night and I used to sneak in.”  She recalled that fond smile, that little spark in his eyes as he talked of his family which she thought was a considerable improvement.

“I teased her a lot and she would grumble and pout. But I loved listening to the song. I never told them.” Then she watched that smile vanish into something sad. She could bet she heard him say.

" I wish I had ” He simply closed his eyes and every thought was shut

---------------------------------------------

The contradictions, she thought of his statements a while back. Intriguing or puzzling?. What was he fighting? What did he want to let go of? She knew there is more to the surface. Today was just a little victory but … ahead was a more tough path.

She has no intentions to rush, that would only worsen things. He needs time but she has every intention to find out. There was something buried deep…he refused to spill out. Unless she breaches those walls he built around his heart, She will not have a breakthrough.

Swara sighed and tossed out of bed. She stepped out and made herself home as she sank down on a soft cushion out on the balcony. She was glad they had one for their room helping her steal those moments of peace. The moonlight and the gentle sway of leaves, and the chilly breeze were already working wonders on her mood.  Swara gazed at the journal in her hands. She always carried one . She always felt writing liberated her and gave her clarity and a way out of jumbled thoughts.

She has a lot to pen down tonight.

--------

They took it slow. A minute to 5, Five to ten, Ten to fifteen. Days to weeks. Little by little, Sanskaar felt better day by day and he appreciated the patience and persistence of Swara.

He didn't have to shut his thoughts or evade them. The more he oppressed them, the more they could cause trouble. Just let them come..let them flow, she told him. And she was right. 

Hurt is inevitable to heal. The hurt dimmed down bit by bit …and there came a day when he could sit with no breakdowns or tears. 

In between, they kept on with their sessions. She talked to him about body language, cues to pick up in case of women, Thin border between harmless flirtation turning into something uncomfortable. He found it interesting. He paid more attention to his business interactions with women trying to understand …pick up nuances, he was being taught. Strange enough, he found himself discussing his family with Swara, sharing little snippets from the past.

He didn't usually do that but he had to admit, that Swara has a certain art of putting people at ease. She didn't do it for the sake of it. She genuinely cared for ‘him’

He liked Miss Bose, he thought with a smile and turned his focus back to work.

-------------

Swara liked the progress too. Mr.Maheshwari felt at ease, loosening up a bit. Oh Yes! That's a good sign. She smiled, recalling a little incident in the morning. 

Tara always commanded and demanded attention and there was Sanskaar who hardly gave her a look and kept his way out, for his fear of being clueless on kids or ways to tackle them. Swara always kept a watch, ensuring Tara is out of Sanskaar’s way. She still recalled their first meeting where he admitted he is not good with kids and she didn't intend to trouble him.

But that day was different.

 …She was in the kitchen with Mrs. D Souza. She loved the fact that she had been permitted and graciously accepted to help. She had her own motives. How well did this woman cook? She wondered and envied. Every morsel of her food was heaven. And she knew why Maheshwari’s had her hired for a lifetime. And she wanted to learn all the tips and tricks. 

While Swara was busy in the kitchen, Tara had her own plans. Tara loved to run around and with so much space, there was no stopping. She usually avoided the giant person on the couch but he had her interest that day.

Tara loved her stuffy toys, her fav being a big fat panda and Sanskaar had been at the receiving end of hard smack that day.

His ‘ouch’ had Swara on full alert. Damn! She muttered and rushed for damage control.

-------

His hair mussed, his eyes still half asleep Sanskaar gazed at the kid before him. She looked like a doll in the toy store. Those big eyes, cherub cheeks. “Cute “ he thought rubbing the spot on his head he was smacked.

“I am sorry Mr, Maheswari “ He watched Swara rush and grab the kid. “Tara..You shouldn't do that. Never again. Ok Sweety,”  Her tone had a slight condemnation, hard to miss. So, Miss Bose did not spare the kids either. Bossy woman, Sanskaar muttered.She must be running an office.  But Tara didn't seem to mind at all. She gurgled happily toying with Swara’s hair.

“Why did she hit me? “Sanskaar asked, curious, eyeing the panda in Tara’s hand with contempt.

“I have no clue “  were words that almost slipped out of Swara’s mouth, but her mind simply twisted into a new plot.  

“Because she's angry “ Swara started walking into the kitchen with Sanskaar and his half-tangled bedsheets following her. 

“Angry? But why?Maine kya Kiya? “ He sulked.

“Because you didn't pay her a compliment” Swara made Tara comfortable on the kitchen counter.
“ I mean C’mon Mr, Maheshwari. Look at her. Did you ever tell her she’s cute? In Fact, did you ever tell a woman you found her beautiful and gorgeous? “

No Never! Sanskaar's reply was instant. 

As expected, Swara thought.

“We, irrespective of all age groups, love being pampered and complimented and paid attention to. That's Your lesson 1 for the day Mr . Maheshwari. And mind, we can differentiate between a genuine and for- the- sake- of -it compliments. You better start working on it.

“Wait! I have a plan. Maybe you can start by telling this darling how adorable she’s looking today.” Her eyes moved to Tara before she exchanged a wink with Mrs. D’souza.

“Now ?” Ah! Sanskaar sighed. Oh! How much he hated these impromptu sessions. What is he? Some student up for a surprise test?  But the look in Swara’s eyes told him, there is no escape route.

Sanskaar cleared his throat and leaned down to the kid's height. “Hi, Tara! I am Sanskaar.” He extended a hand.

Swara shook her head. Oh, this man! She won't be surprised if he goes on to do a formal introduction and spill his entire biography. “Hey! Bhagwan Kaha phasa diya” she muttered under her breath. 

Surprisingly Tara grabbed one of his fingers.

“ You look like an angel ” He always felt that way. Few mornings when he woke up to the sight of this kid bouncing and bubbling with laughter. And He didn't mind saying it today. Genuine compliments and  feelings didn't need hard work, he made a note .“I have never seen a kid cute,'' he added, throwing in a smile.

Swara thought her heart would fail. Damn! This man got one charming smile, she thought as her heart did a slow roll. Only if he knew how to make use of it. The same smile would have had a  paltan of women swooning over him. And then he flashed a dimple. Swara sighed. Gosh! She has a weakness for dimples. He gets an extra mark for that.

Even Tara wasn't immune, Swara thought as the kid beamed at Sanskaar. Oh! They are gonna be best friends, with no doubt. She liked being surprised by Mr, Maheshwari. All those layers and shades and secrets. He was hard to resist! 

“Mr.Maheswari, I have a major complaint,”  And she had all his attention. “Some bird whispered Mrs. D’souza’s waffles are to die for. Swara switched to her animated side “ I begged,  blackmailed and was ready to grovel at feet for her to make one,  but she clearly refused.

Of Course, she made it clear who her favorite is. Her eyes scanned Sanskaar with a pout.

And I am nursing a broken heart here. Guess I have to live with this pain.” She sighed sadly. ”I  will settle for  her Poha.” She added reaching for the plate.

“We will have waffles today for breakfast” It was after a 5-minute silence, that Sanskaar’s voice came through. “Mrs.D’souza, Please make some. I missed them”  The son- motherly look exchange between them couldn't be missed.

Swara thought she was up for a crying session by the cook after Sanskaar left. She almost did see tears pooling at the corners of D’souza’s eyes but much to surprise, Swara was pulled into a hug, a  big squeezy one. “ I never thought he would ask. Thank you So much. I don't know how you do it but just seem to know others’ hearts.  Oh! You are good! so good in fact.” Mrs. D’souza pulled back and held  Swara’s hand gently. “You are the best thing that happened to this house and him in these years. Oh! I need to get to work.  She said, wiping her tears  “Can you please fetch that bowl for me, Swara?” And she was back to work. 

It was overwhelming for a moment but this is what Swara loved about her job. She could make lives better, and bring smiles back and that's all counted.

But she had major work to do tonight. A make or a break.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.9K 4.4K 35
💙A story written with feelings for my sweetheart💙
50.2K 3.6K 12
This story revolve around two imperfect person. Will they abled to become perfect partner for each other?
106K 4.7K 15
Story starts when Laksh disappears and Swara leaves with Ragini for Baadi promising to return only after when Laksh arrives. Sanskar is shattered. Le...
1.7K 199 5
He loved her, she loved him A tale of love and affection bare Yet, they failed to escape a fate That did not bring happiness but only wounds A love u...