The Lost Flower of the Hidden...

By MermaidAriel13

A student geisha assassin of the Hidden Leaf learns there is more to her forgotten past than she ever guessed... More

Author's Note
Achievements
Prologue; Spirited away
Chapter One; New paths
Chapter Two; The promises made
Chapter Three; First encounters
Chapter Four; Weakness
Chapter Five; How to meet in the space between
Chapter Seven; Crashing Waves
Chapter Eight; Watchful eyes
Chapter Nine; Understanding
Chapter Ten; Enemy at the gates
Chapter Eleven; The Forest of Death
Chapter Twelve; Cursed
Chapter Thirteen; A friend in need
Chapter Fourteen; Silence before the storm
Chapter Fifteen; The chase
Chapter Sixteen; Sand, leaves, and water
Chapter Seventeen; Rising tensions

Chapter Six; Becoming a geisha

43 3 0
By MermaidAriel13

The ice water had numbed Katana's fingers. She knew the feeling wouldn't last once she played the koto. It was a necessary evil to further advance her skill on the musical instrument and show Mameha she could withstand the pain. 

"One more minute," said Mameha. 

"Yes, Ma—I mean, Oneesan."

The dark-eyed leader of the okiya nodded approvingly as Katana addressed her with the proper term for their newfound relation. Since she was now a maiko, Mameha had officially adopted Katana. However, as geisha were not allowed to have children, they were not mother and daughter but sisters. Katana'd been dismayed when she heard the news, but she still preferred Mameha to Kitiara. She pitied any girl who would get stuck with her. 

"All right, go ahead."

Katana removed her hands from the ice water bucket and pulled the instrument close. Pain shot through her fingers as she plucked at the strings, but she kept her composure. Under no circumstance could she show Mameha she was hurting. Geisha must always keep their grace. Geisha must show no weakness and appear as if they cannot be hurt. Above all, geisha must appear immortal. 

"Lift your elbow a little more," instructed Mameha.

Katana closed her eyes as she focused on the melody. She thought of the training ground near the lake. The high grass danced with the wind in perfect harmony with the music. A boy laughed. His voice called out. Oh, how she longed to run and join him for a swim in the refreshing water.
Then she felt another presence near. Distant, yet warm and comforting. His dark, beguiling eyes rested on her. How long had it been since they had last hugged or even seen each other? Too damn long... 

"That's enough." Mameha's sharp voice pulled Katana away from her vision. "Who were you thinking of?"

"What? N-Nobody."

Mameha's dark eyes narrowed. Katana froze as a dainty hand brushed a tear away from the corner of her eye.

"This is not a tear from pain. You are too strong to cry when you are hurt physically; I know this well. This is an emotional tear. So, I ask again; who were you thinking of?"

"Nobody, Oneesan." Katana lowered her head. "I just forgot it was a sad song. I was swept away by it. Forgive me. It won't happen again."

"Then may I ask how you know this song? I've never heard it outside of the okiya. You appear to be the only one who knows it."

"I'm not sure, Oneesan. I just know the music. And I think there are words too, but I can never understand the singer when I hear her in the back of my mind."

"Her?"

A chill ran up Katana's spine when she caught Mameha's intense gaze again. She reminded Katana so much of Itachi Uchiha. He, too, had a fierce intensity about him. Once, she'd asked Sasuke once if Mameha had been part of the Uchiha-clan in her previous life, but he didn't know. Katana was certain of it, though. Only an Uchiha had such alluring eyes. But if she was related to Sasuke, why hadn't she taken him in after the massacre? And why hadn't she gone in pursuit of Itachi herself?

Because geisha had no family.

Katana was reminded of that far too much lately. A geisha's only duty was to the okiya and the Land of Fire. Nothing or no one else mattered. And Mameha made sure Katana understood this. 

"Perhaps a different song next time, yes?" she said.

"Yes, Oneesan."

"Come along now." Mameha rose to her feet with the natural grace of an empress. "We mustn't be late for your tailor appointment."

Katana groaned silently. The tailor meant standing perfectly still for at least two hours, as she was weighed, measured, and seized up from all angles. The only good thing about this was that she would finally get to wear something other than green. But knowing her Oneesan, Mameha had probably stripped her of that choice as well.

***

Much to Katana's astonishment, the kimonos were quite colorful. The first one was purest white, with a beautiful scarlet and yellow ho-o embroidered. All geisha shared this kimono in common, as the firebird represented their allegiance and duty to the Land of Fire. The second was light green with the most intricate floral pattern, symbolizing affinity to the Hidden Leaf and Katana's superior skill with a sword. And the last — the one which surprised Katana most — was ocean blue with a design of white waves on the hemlines and three koi on the skirt.
Katana couldn't fathom why Mameha had picked this one to be her personal kimono out of all others, but she wouldn't complain. The blue silk was similar to the color of Sasuke's shirt, and the koi reminded her of all the times she'd been at the late with Naruto. Her dearest friends were represented in this kimono. 

"Very elegant." The tailor smiled approvingly. "An excellent choice, Mameha. And such a wonderful tribute to your own style."

Katana pinched her lips as it hit her then. Of course, she should've guessed the blue also showed their bond as sisters. 

"It is your artistry that brings about elegance and beauty, Tanaka," complimented Mameha. "But I agree. This one fits Katana best."

"Most fitting indeed for one with water in her eyes." 

"May I request she keep it on?"

"Certainly, Mameha. I'll wrap her dress with the other two kimonos for delivery to the okiya."

Katana raised a brow. Why on earth would Mameha want her to stay dressed in the kimono? She was about to ask when Mameha beckoned her. In a few swoops, Katana's hair was bundled and secured atop her head with a golden hairpin, leaving one lock hanging at the side of her face. Mameha next settled her account, exiting the shop with a kind farewell to Tanaka. Katana followed, wondering what her teacher had planned this time. 

"Keep your eyes low until you pass someone your own age," said Mameha, "then raise them for just a single glance."

"Oneesan, I don't —"

"Don't question me, child."

Katana lowered her head upon Mameha's insistence and demurely walked beside her. She didn't understand the point of all of this, but knew better than to ask for an explanation. They went from street to street until they came onto the busy main street. Mameha had a striking effect on people, but there was something different about the gasps and murmurs resonating now.
Despite her curiosity, Katana kept her head down until she heard familiar voices up ahead — Shikamaru Nara, Ino Yamanaka, and Choji Akimichi. They were Sasuke and Naruto's classmates and formed Team 10 under Asuma Sarutobi. She wasn't sure what reaction she would get from the trio, but she doubted it would be what Mameha wanted. Still, Katana silently counted the steps until she was close enough and then met the trio's awestruck gaze for a single second. Choji's hand froze halfway to his mouth, and he actually dropped his bag of potato chips. Ino's mouth fell agape, and she gleamed with envy and marvel. And Shikamaru, the boy who thought everything was a total drag, actually turned around, his wide eyes following Katana as she walked past.
The maiko glanced up and detected the playful shimmer in Mameha's dark eyes. Did that mean the teens gave the reaction she'd hoped for? Katana was about to ask when she saw suddenly spotted someone else she knew coming her way. Her heart stilled at the sight of him, and she prayed with all her might that Mameha wouldn't make her turn away. 

***

The raven-haired heir of the Uchiha-clan had left his teammates to bicker between themselves after yet another tedious D-rank mission just beyond the gates of the Leaf. He couldn't stand them. Sakura kept trying to get his attention so he would ask her out, and Naruto was... Naruto. Why did those two have to be his teammates? Literally, anyone else would have been better. 
Sasuke was about to turn into the street leading home when he noticed a couple of figures in blue kimonos walking toward him. He stopped dead in his tracks when he recognized the youngest of the two. No, it couldn't be... 

"Sayuri?"

The name only ever uttered in private between them fell in a whisper from Sasuke's lips. He couldn't believe his eyes. He had never seen Katana dressed like this before. So refined, so lady-like... She looked absolutely stunning. 

That blue, he mused. It's darker than Mameha's kimono. More like... my shirt! 

Sasuke stood completely frozen, his eyes fixed on his best friend as she approached. The kimono flowed about her, giving the illusion the koi on the skirt were actually swimming with each step she took. The sunlight cast a reddish shine on her black hair. That one wayward strand hanging loose made her look fragile, and yet Katana radiated confidence. She wasn't just a girl making her way through the shops and stalls of the Leaf's main street; she was a maiko.
Sasuke was so mesmerized he didn't even realize it when Katana was right in front of him. She brushed past him, and in that split second, her clear blue eyes met Sasuke's. His breath caught and shivers ran down his spine.
Katana turned her head ever so slightly to cast one last look at him as she continued on her way. That glance made his knees buckle. He fell back against the wall of a grocer, barely keeping himself standing. A haze fell over him. All he saw, all he knew... was Katana. 

Wha-What... is this? Why do I feel...? 

Sasuke felt a sudden weight around his neck. He fervently traced his skin with his fingers, believing something was wrong, but all he found was a thin silver chain holding a broken pendant — her pendant.
The jewel stirred something within the young Uchiha. Sensations buried ever since his family had been murdered clawed at him, begging to be embraced once more. Sasuke willed them to stay down. Better to not feel anything than go through that agony again if... if he lost her. 
He clutched the medallion, intending to rip the damn thing off, but couldn't. That would be a different loss — the loss of Katana's trust. And that would devastate Sasuke more than anything else.

***

Naruto had been sauntering through the village, his cheek still red from the smack Sakura gave him when he stumbled upon Team 10. He cocked his head curiously when he noticed they were all shaken up about something. 

"Hey guys, what's going on?"

"Oh, hey, Naruto," greeted Shikamaru. "We just saw... actually, I'm still not sure what we saw."

"It was definitely her," said Ino. "She comes by the shop sometimes; I recognized her. Those blue eyes are hard to forget."

Naruto peeked down the street, realizing Ino could only mean one person. He fervently searched for Katana, but only spotted Sasuke up ahead. Had he seen her as well? Naruto squinted. Even from this distance, he could tell Sasuke had the same dazed expression as the others and was even leaning against a wall for support. He had never seen him rattled like that.  

"Hey Choji, snap out of it," said Shikamaru suddenly.

Naruto turned back around. Choji was just standing there, one hand full of potato chips frozen in the air and the other hanging limply beside his body. His eyes stared into nothing. Then, Naruto noticed the bag on the ground. Choji, dropping food? What the heck?

"Here's your chips, look." Naruto picked up the bag and held it to the other boy, but he got no reaction. "Huh? Nothing."

"Hey, chubby!" yelled Ino loudly. 

Shikamaru hastily jumped in front of her, and Naruto leaped away. If there was one thing Choji absolutely couldn't stand, it was being called chubby, fatso, or anything similar. He blew a fuse whenever that happened. But to everyone's surprise, he didn't even squeak. 

"Wow," said Naruto. "Okay, can anyone please tell me what happened that would lead to Choji ignoring being called chubby?"

"Nothing, really," replied Ino. "We just saw Katana walk by. But she looked so different."

"What do you mean?"

"She was wearing a blue kimono, like that Mameha-lady. Her hair was up except for one curly strand, and her eyes... She only raised them for a second, but... I never noticed before how bright they were."

Naruto staggered at Ino's description of his best friend. It was happening. He could scarcely believe it, but the thing he had been so afraid of was really happening. Katana was becoming one of them.
It had been almost two weeks since Konohamaru had helped Naruto deliver his letter. He had expected Katana to reply somehow, perhaps through Kagami or with an equally clever trick, but there'd been nothing. She hadn't reached out to him at all. It was like she didn't even want to get away from her life at the okiya anymore. Katana... didn't need him anymore.
With tears stinging in his eyes, Naruto ran from his classmates and didn't stop until he arrived in the solitude of his apartment, shutting the door to the entire world. Naruto Uzumaki knew sadness. He knew sorrow. But this was the first time experienced genuine loss. 

***

They moved as one. Every graceful flicker of Katana's wrist, every light tap of her foot, and every elegant spin was perfectly symmetrical with Mameha. They had done this routine so many times before. She knew this dance by heart because, oddly, she enjoyed it. There was something about music that made Katana feel calm. She often wondered if perhaps it was a lurking memory of her forgotten past that just refused to break through.
The subtle change in the melody filling the okiya's courtyard warned Katana it was nearly time. The fans in her hand fluttered as she sank down on one knee. She flipped the one in her left hand, then the one in the right. Katana took the fans together and held them as one as she rose. The needle hidden in the folds was carefully kept from sight as she prepared to throw it at her target. She pirouetted, and off it went.

Katana listened closely to the surrounding sounds. There were no gasps or outcries — only the soft music, which continued to play so she could finish her dance. Then, just as Katana took her last steps, she heard a false note. She threw up a fan, catching it with her free hand as she whirled around one last time. The by now struggled strumming of the shamisen stilled. Katana snapped both fans shut and crossed them over her chest just in time to see her target collapse.
Training completed.
Mameha walked over to the girl who had been playing the instrument to inspect the damage done. An eerie silence fell over the courtyard as everyone ceased their activities to watch. They held their breath, fear clearly visible in their expressions. Katana couldn't blame them. This exercise had gone wrong before. Whether Kitiara had done it intentionally was still the question. 

"Where is the needle?" inquired Mameha then. 

Standing closest to the girl with the shamisen, Kagami hastily looked about her. One of the other girls came to help her search, but if Katana had calculated her throw correctly, they would never find the weapon without her help.  

"Care to show us all where it is?" Mameha threw her a glance.

Katana stepped up and picked up the long-necked musical instrument. She moved a snare. There, embedded through the skin, glistened the tiny head of the needle. Mameha lifted the right hand of the unconscious girl, pressing her thumb against each finger until a small drop of blood finally welled up at the girl's pinky. She smiled and said, "She will live."

Relief washed over the courtyard. The servants sprang forward to take care of the girl sound asleep on the porch while Mameha beckoned Katana. Kagami followed at a distance. The fact Mameha allowed her presence assured Katana this wouldn't be an entirely private conversation. 
They passed through the archway of the courtyard and walked to the main gates of the okiya. The pathway was littered with fallen pink petals from the cherry trees. A light breeze shook the delicate blooms. It was perhaps the only thing Katana liked about living there. Seeing those petals fall and then gather on the ground reminded her of snow, which was curious since she had never seen snow. And yet... somehow...

"You've done admirably, Katana." Mameha's sudden voice made Katana blink. She looked up to see the geisha's pleased expression. "You waited for the opportune moment to strike, and you did it with such precision that even I couldn't tell where she was hit. Not even Yuna could have done it any better."

Katana gasped at the praise. Mameha didn't find it easy to talk about Yuna, so to hear her say those words... well, it felt good. 

"The Jōnin also report considerable progress in your combat training," continued Mameha. "I am very contented with how you have dedicated yourself to your studies these past few weeks. If you continue like this, you will become a geisha very soon."

Katana's heart sank. Of course... How could she have forgotten the plan in motion? Mameha had kept her so busy, going from training to training, practicing this and that, giving Katana no time for anything or anyone else. Without realizing it, she was becoming the silent and skillful geisha-assassin Mameha intended her to be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 236 5
Leon Scott Kennedy had it embarrassingly bad for the back row kid with the pink hair. Meanwhile, Sakura Hoshigaki could only squint at her phone and...
18.6K 632 27
Um, it's a time travel fanfic, and I created my own OC her name is Christina, she is dating Neji. Yeah, anyway have fun reading
108K 3.2K 54
Highest rank: #414 in #OHSHC, #12 in #hitachiintwins, #6 in #main, #13 in #hunny #1 in Ageha THIRD PLACE IN OURAN WATTYS BOOOOIIIII ~ Teru has li...
16.9K 654 14
Raven buys a black butler book during comic con after her friend Alex runs off. Raven has always been a fan of black butler and she finds herself som...