Up in Flames

By tayxwriter

Kinsley fell in love with Phoenix Maverick, an NHL player for a team she never imagined supporting. But when... More

Foreword
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty- five
Twenty- six
twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Epilogue

Sixteen

4.3K 278 59
By tayxwriter

Late August 2016

Kinsley made it easy to love her. There were moments where she drove me up the wall, red with anger and frustration and in those same moments, I would look at her and think, there is no one else I would rather do this with, than her.

She couldn't answer a text to save herself, despite having her phone attached to her palm. She made it her mission to open every cabinet door in the house and not close them. She consistently left coffee cups on the bedside table until there was no room for her phone and by then, the cups were growing their own eco systems.

But those things were signs of her living here, with me, in this apartment. As often as I tipped my head back and sighed at all of her habits, I smiled and thought about how little character this house had before Kins moved in and made her mark. I couldn't imagine the place without her.

After a shower on Sunday morning, I walked down the hall, noticing a small trash pile on the floor. That was another thing.

She liked to clean and instead of taking a bag around with her, she made little piles of garbage and how fast she got rid of them, depended on whether or not another task distracted her.

I picked up the little pile and took it with me to the kitchen trash can.

The counter was covered in dishes from the night before, coffee pods were sitting next to the espresso machine and the sunlight was coming in from the window and illuminating the grime on the benchtop. Pushing on the plug in the ceramic sink, I flicked the tap on and started rinsing and loading the dishes into the dishwasher.

I wasn't here last night and I know Kinsley would usually have done this before I came home so whatever kept her busy must have been important.

The fridge beeped, announcing a new hour. It was eight in the morning. Kins must have been at the gym or in the spare bathroom. She wasn't in bed when I woke up.

Three minutes and a mental note to get the windows washed later, I heard the familiar footsteps of an excited girlfriend. Not to get confused with her angry footsteps, or bored footsteps or hungry footsteps. She had a walk for all of her moods.

Twisting over my shoulder, I watched her bounce into the room with a laptop resting on her forearm. She was dressed in a bra and a pair of sweat pants.

The best part about living with this woman was that she felt comfortable in her own skin at all times and I hardly ever saw her fully clothed unless we were expecting guests.

"Babe, babe," she skidded to a stop, wearing red socks. Tapping on her laptop screen, she jostled on the spot and bit that pretty lip. "I have mocked up the most beautiful interior theme for our house."

Fuck me. Our house. That was something I could get used to. She'd almost ripped me a new one when I took her to the land I bought a few days ago but I have some real suspicions about the IKEA box I saw sitting in the hall when I came home last night.

I turned around and leaned on the bench, folding my arms. Kins ignored the smile I wore, instead peering behind me at the dishes I was dealing with, guilt creeping into her features and hiding the previous excitement.

"I was going to deal with th—"

"Don't stress. Tell me about our house."

Her sights returned to me, her expression beaming as if she heard the significance in her own words. I was grateful for every bit of herself she gave to me. I've known from the beginning how I feel about her, I just needed to convince her that I was sure of her. Sure of us and our future.

"Right," she tucked a bit of hair behind her ear and stood next to me. Being the weak minded animal I was, I stared at her perfect tits from a birds eye angle. "I know it didn't take me long, but I've been dreaming up this house since I was like eleven. I'm sold on wood and big windows for the external. I know traditionally forest houses are square, sharp and modern. I'm not sold on the idea, but like, I don't have an alternative. We'll circle back to that. I know I need a balcony, perhaps even a wrap around. Here look at this."

I reluctantly tore my eyes from her face because I'd been staring at her freckles and soft lips the entire time and she knew it. On the screen was a sketch of a house with sharp square edges and a large patio. From the patio was a narrow wooden path that wound through trees and dropped into another smaller patio. It was like a private garden winding right around the house.

"That's cool," I lowered and looked a bit closer. "Yeah I like that."

"You sure?" She peered up at me. "I can be super controlling when it comes to design and decorating, so check me if need be."

I kissed her shoulder and tugged on her bra strap with my teeth before nuzzling her nape. "I'll love whatever you come up with. You think I designed this place? Nope. It was boring until you got here."

"Yeah I know."

I laughed and nudged her shoulder. "Continue."

"Interior wise, I'm thinking rustic. Lots of oak, brass. An old French farm house vibe in the kitchen with lots of plants. You might think I'm kidding but I'm not when I say I want a dog room. It has to be functional though, not just cute."

Not able to take it for a moment longer, I snatched her laptop, set it on the counter and swept her up.

"Phoenix," she grunted as I pushed her back against the fridge and pressed my knee between her thighs.

"Your talking got me all hot and bothered."

"Talking?" Her voice hitched as I peppered kisses along her collar bone, my tongue lapping out.

"Your enthusiasm in our future abode is arousing as fuck."

She gasped.

"You like that, babe?"

"Stilts," she said and I ceased kissing her cleavage to lean back and look at her. "We could put the house on stilts or like, raised beams so we're elevated and it'll be like a treehouse. We'll be among the trees."

I pressed my erection against her stomach. "I'm elevated right now."

She bit her lip in thought. "But do we do metal poles or wooden beams?"

Grinding against her again, I kissed her breast. "You can do my wooden beam."

"Of course, we'd need a safe way for our dogs to get up and down. The stairs couldn't be steep at all."

I groaned, resigned to the fact that I wasn't holding an ounce of her attention. "I'd heard about this passion for design but I didn't think I'd lose to it."

She looked at me, seemingly snapping out of her far off thoughts. Her grin turned feline, her arms tightened around me and she pushed her chest at mine. "Sorry, babe. I was just excited thinking about all the private windows we can have sex in front of in our new house."

My hands slid up her back and then back down onto her ass. "Yeah?"

"On the floor, in front of our fire, with the trees right outside," she whispered.

"Mmm," I hummed in agreement and leaned down, kissing her, exploring her mouth, tasting her tongue, sucking on it. She slipped her hand into the band of my sweat pants and palmed me. Her thumb teasing the end of my cock and rolling over the bead of pre cum.

Putting a hand on her shoulder, I pushed her down. "On your knees."

"Yes, sir."

Fuck, I loved it when she called me that. Almost as much as she loved being told what to do. Whenever I took charge, she got this gleam in her gaze, awaiting the next dominating order that came out of my mouth. I wasn't the best at it, she was usually the one calling the shots. But in the bedroom, she liked handing the reins over.

She pulled my sweats down, her lips were wet and waiting for me to fill her mouth. Her hand, that beautiful manicured hand covered in rose gold rings fisted my shaft. Her tongue swiped the tip when the front door swung open and we both froze, hidden in the kitchen.

It couldn't be Lei. He was still in Alberta.

"Phoenix?"

"Piss off, Ash," I called back, glad it was just my sister. Gripping a handful of Kinsley's hair, I kept her where she was, those long lashes fluttered as she looked up with fuck me eyes and cupped my balls. I slammed a hand on the fridge and hissed. "I'm compromised right now. Come back later."

There was a murmur of conversation and I realized she wasn't alone. I ripped Kinsley's head back, her lips popping when the tip of my dick slid out of her mouth.

"Our mother is here," Ashley confirmed my suspicions and I blew out an agonized breath. Of all the fucking moments to show up unannounced.

To be fair, almost any moment when Kinsley and I are home alone would be the wrong time to show up unannounced. No room in this house has been left untouched. Kinsley grimaced, gave my cock a kiss and shot to her feet.

She whispered, "give me your shirt."

Whipping it off, she snatched it and slid it over her frame, hiding her lavish curves. I didn't have a chance in hell at hiding my hard on before my mother walked into the kitchen.

Sure, mom knows that her adult son and his girlfriend are having sex. I didn't want to stand there talking to her while I was at attention though.

Leaning on the counter, I snaked an arm around Kinsley's waist and pulled her backside against me.

"I won't be eating if you've been doing what I think you've been doing in this kitchen," Ashley appeared wearing a black cardigan and thigh high platform boots.

I reached over and flicked the espresso machine. "No coffee then?"

"Oh nothing could stop me from drinking coffee. Brew me up."

Mom wandered in, head strong, determined and beautiful, Mrs. Maverick wore that knowing smile I've been afraid of since I was a teenager.

The first time I ever smoked pot at fifteen, I came home convinced I was going to be able to hide it after a few drops of clear eyes and a refreshing mid November bike ride home.

She took one look at me, smiled and told me to sit down so she could fix me a snack. I knew straight away that I'd fucked up.

A plateful of sardines and hot sauce is not the kind of snack someone wants to eat for an hour straight while their mom sits there and lists all of the professional athletes who have lost their careers to drug use.

I'm a grown man and I'm still worried about getting a telling off.

"Mom," I said. "This is unexpected."

Kinsley stepped away from me. "Good morning, Ma'am."

I was glad my dick was flaccid now because mom walked toward me, smiling at my girlfriend as she gave me a hug.

"Good morning, son. Kinsley. How are we all?"

Kinsley, setting down four coffee cups on the countertop, gave mom a side on hug. I closed her laptop and put it on top of the fridge. We hadn't told mom or Ash about our plan to build together. I wasn't worried about what they would think, but I was sure there'd be opinions on how fast we were moving.

Once I was old enough to make my own choices and mistakes and take responsibility for the man I was, mom took a backseat, surrendering her parental duties and allowing me to grow and learn. Of course, she was there for me when I needed her or sought out her knowledge but she didn't tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing.

Mom wouldn't tell me I shouldn't build a house with Kinsley this fast, but she might ask if I'm sure and that's not the sort of input I was interested in.

Kinsley spooned sugar into two cups, got the milk and cream out of the fridge and made the coffee just how we all like it. Her time as a barista in college meant she was proficient in remembering how someone takes their coffee after making it just once.

She was so far from being the office assistant at Lachlan and Lore, but she did do the coffee run every morning because she could recite fourteen drinks off the top of her head. She called it a useless skill but I remained impressed.

Mom slid onto a breakfast bar stool, her bangles clinking on the marble benchtop. She was a sophisticated woman, her dark hair pinned up in a neat bun at all times, her blouse and bell bottom dress pants ironed and tailored to fit her just right. I didn't think I'd seen mom in jeans the entire time I'd been alive but dad had a photo of her at a rodeo in the seventies, dressed for the occasion and all.

When Ashley first discovered her love for angst and all things black and dead at thirteen, mom wept. She did her best to push Ash back to being her little doll, the one who wore frocks, pinafores, velvet slippers and frills. But it was no use and while mom eventually came to terms with the change, the disapproval put a big strain on their relationship.

Ash couldn't let it go, all of the things mom said about her taste in clothes, music, friends. I didn't blame her for that, mom had her idea about what a woman should wear and she was too stubborn to work on her own mindset.

"Mom, what brings you into town?" I asked again, leaning on the bench top.

"I just wanted to see my son before he's on the road."

I gave Kinsley a kiss when she handed me a mug. "You could've called ahead, mom."

"You shouldn't be treating the kitchen like a bordello."

The hot coffee caught in my throat and made me wheeze.

"Oh," Kins looked at mom, her expression confused. "I didn't realise I was getting paid."

I should've expected something like that from her. She toned down her wit when it came to mom, but she still didn't let her get away with the snide comments.

Mom laughed it off, she knew there was no point getting into a spar. Despite the occasional undertone of banter, the two of them got along.

Ashley, who was the face of boredom, twisted her septum piercing up into her nose and flicked it down again.

"We should go out for lunch," she suggested, changing the subject. "If not, I'm going over to hang out with Sadie because I'm bored of this morning already."

Mom shot her a withering glare. "I just got into town."

Sadie and Ash had been hanging out a lot since our trip to the mountain. Fast friends I suppose. Kins loved the fact that her sister had a girlfriend to hang out with that wasn't her. Especially since we were leaving for the road soon.

None of us were opposed to going out for lunch, although, I did catch a glimpse of dissatisfaction from mom when Kinsley reminded her they would need to choose a restaurant with vegan options.

It wasn't a big deal and I told Kinsley to choose where we ate while we were in our bedroom getting dressed. She chose Nightshade, her favorite fine dining. The agnolotti wasn't half bad.

Not to mention, the people that frequent Nightshade weren't at all interested in who I was. It wasn't a hive of NHL fans and even if I was recognized, no one had ever bothered me.

                    Mom, Ash, Kins and I sat in a corner booth at the restaurant, our plates cleared and our second round of coffee having just been poured. Ash wasn't a fan.

"I've had better coffee. This is bitter."

Mom lifted her mint green mug and said, "Just like you."

She meant it to be a playful jeer, but she should've known by now, it wasn't the sort of joke she could get away with.

"Mom—" I warned, about to tell her to give it a rest.

"Alice," Kinsley interrupted and leaned her elbow on the tabletop. "Phoenix said you and Gus are thinking about opening a bed and breakfast. Wow."

I love that she saw the cue to interrupt before my sister retaliated with something that mom might not recover from. Because from the look on Ashley's face, she was thinking up some awful insults.

Mom, proud to talk about her latest venture, shimmied her shoulders. "We are. I've always thought the idea of hosting a bed and breakfast would be fun. I'd really like to be a hands on host. One that takes care of the rooms and is available at reception and puts on a nice dinner for the guests. Although, I know that sort of bed and breakfast isn't as popular nowadays. People like to be left alone, or order to their bedrooms and recluse.

"You know back when Gus and I got married, we went to a bed and breakfast and it was the most homely atmosphere and experience. Everyone spent time together and the hosts were so gorgeous and welcoming. You don't get that a lot now."

Kinsley watched mom talk, attentive and this adoring smile lifting the corner of her mouth.

"I'm sure there's a demographic for that sort of bed and breakfast," Kins offered, wiping the ring her hot mug had made on the coaster with a napkin. "You just have to advertise for that demographic. Market it toward the older generation. I bet there are some lovely older couples who would be so excited to spend a weekend somewhere that reminds them of their prime."

Mom gave a slow thoughtful nod, her interest piquing.

Ashley, with a sarcastic smile and an airy voice said, "go one step further and turn it into a one stop euthanasian spot. Book in for the best last weekend of your life."

Mom's brows snapped down. "Ashley that is honestly just morbid."

This time it was my turn to intervene. "You know, Kins is fantastic at interior design. You could hire her."

Kinsley, not modest at all, lifted her shoulders. "That I am. You'll have to wait until we're done with the house though."

Mom and Ash both looked at us with furrowed brows. The table fell quiet as Kinsley realized what she let slip and winced at me, her teeth sinking into her lip. It didn't matter to me. The only reason I was keeping it quiet was because I didn't want her to feel the pressure of other people knowing.

"I bought some land," I announced, palming Kinsley's thigh under the table. I knew how she was about big steps and milestones. "We're going to build a house together."

Ashley, head tilted to the side, nodded in approval and said, "sick."

"That sounds wonderful," mom said and I couldn't tell if she meant it or not. "Things have become quite serious between you two. Quite fast."

"You're telling me," Kins jabbed her thumb at me. "Phoenix has one speed. His speed."

She saw the flat stare I was giving her and leaned into me.

"I'm kidding," she said. "I love him. I can't wait to build our dream home together."

Mom, perhaps still not convinced, looked between us. "These are big eggs to be putting in one basket. A big investment to be making so soon. You know, what happens if you break up? You've both put so much into this-" air quote- "dream house. Who gets it? Or do you then sell it? And won't that be hard if you've put so much of yourselves into it?"

"Mom," Ash sighed. "Don't be a downer. Phoenix and Kins are in love. You might not see that, but I happen to be subjected to their disgusting sap all the time. There's no break up. There's not."

Tipping my head at her in appreciation, I then look at mom. "There's not. We'd have been married by now if she'd accepted my proposal."

Kinsley laughed. That sound, it touched me in places I didn't know were real. "To be fair, that wasn't an actual proposal. More like a suggestion."

"You still would have said no," I said, not daring to let her tone trick me into thinking she might've changed her mind.

Turning her nose up, she rested her chin on my shoulder. "I had time to think about it."

"Woman," I warned.

"This is when things start to get weird," Ash said, but I ignored her and stared at the woman who had come into my life and convinced me there would never be another person who I could love like I love her.

She'd unlocked a part of my heart that I had to believe was reserved just for her. Written in fate. All poetic shit that she'd laugh at me for if I said it out loud.

"You make me want to do things that I find clinically insane," Kins murmured. "Add marriage to the list I suppose."

Ash sniggered. "I just know murder is on that list too."

Mom hushed her and Ash whispered back, "You haven't seen her get mad before."

I picked up Kinsley's palm and kissed the inside of it. "Baby, can we please get married?"

I asked because she's said before that she hates the phrase, 'will you marry me.'

It sounds so demanding.

"If we do, it'll be the last time I get married," she said.

"I would hope so."

Her gaze got a bit shinier. "And we work our shit out. We don't walk."

"Deal."

"If you cheat on me—"

"I will not."

For a moment, she just stared at me, weighing up whether that was the sort of trust she felt I deserved. There was nothing I could do to prove the future, there was no way to convince her that what I said, I meant.

She'd been hurt by people she loved and trusted before. People she probably didn't imagine would betray her like that. All I could do was hope she heard the conviction in which I spoke the truth to her. My truth.

"Well shit," she blew out a light breath. "Let's get hitched, Maverick."

"You mean it?"

Her lips met mine. I didn't care if we were in a restaurant or that mom was watching or that Ash was taking photos of us. Kins agreed to be my wife. I would have the honor of being her husband. The rest of the world fell off, because what the hell else could be more important right now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 69.3K 48
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝Our eyes met, Our bodies touched, Our hearts fell.....all the way down in love,❞ A Shy Senior Year College Girl A P...
2.8M 85.3K 40
*Being Published in 2022* ❝You can't deny that you're attracted to me, Nyx. Instead of fighting it, let's see what happens,❞ he grumbled, hands roami...
4.5M 91.3K 60
When photography student, Willow Kennedy, gets offered an internship with her college's renowned ice hockey team, The Michigan Wolverines, she antici...
1.5M 38.2K 41
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝What started with a revenge sex, becomes something even more addictive than meth.❞ One buried childhood memory, One...