Came Because of Our Song ✔️

By Werly_Prelude

It's been almost an year now, since Wei Ying and Lan Zhan parted at the hill just outside the territories of... More

Start of a Choas
I Can't Help But Wish
The Trip to Trouble 1
The Anonymous Sender
Time For A Visit
Mr. I Don't Know Anything but Everything
Important Character Info
Follow Me in The Shadow
The First Day of Cultivation Conference
Another Gift
I Need Your Help
The Archery Competition-I
The Archery Competition-II
My Beauty My Curse
Encounter
Close Your Eyes
So Close Yet So Far~I
Didi, Wait for Me
Angel From the Moon
Protective Brother
A Hole In My Heart
It's About Time
You Are an Idiot
It is Decided
No Gift ?
It's My Turn
Trip to Trouble ~II
Leave Them
Some Warnings: Do Not Skip
The Trap : Reality
I Am Here
Lotus Pier - I
Banked Rage: Control
Banked Rage: Lost
Back To Cloud Recesses -I
Back To Cloud Recesses ~II
Banked Rage: Explosion
Calm The Storm
Reminiscent Past, Suppressant Fast
I Know
Changing Weather- I
Awakening Rage, Darkening Haze
Brewing the Storm
Amiss
Never Alone
The Game Is On ~1
Not Again, Never Again
Whole Again
Big Reveal and Plotting
Let My Mind Bleed
The Game Is On~ 2
Closer to The Truth
Can't Believe I Am Late ~1
Can't Believe I Am Late-2
Beware of the Yiling Patriarch~1
Understanding: With&Without You
Heart To Heart
WuJi For Me, WangXian For You
Epilogue + Thanks

Lan Zhan Says Yes!

3.2K 140 141
By Werly_Prelude

After the heartfelt moment, Wei Wuxian doesn't leave a chance to be near Lan Wangji; always finding a way to either tease or wheedle him to eat something or take rest when necessary.

'Lan Zhan, just eat the chicken, you need the energy!'
'Lan Zhan, try this fish! It's one of the famous dishes of Yunmeng!'
'Lan Zhan, relax. You need to take it slow!'
'Lan Zhan, listen to me, will you? I know a thing or two also!'

It's like a dam has been opened and now the river of emotions flows without preamble. There's no hesitation, no holding back, nothing which could keep them apart.
Wei Wuxian likes to think he has everything under wraps. No one knows! But.

But what he doesn't know is that Sizhui has steered his friends and other juniors in a completely different direction whenever he so much as saw them together. Every disciple takes a longer way towards their destination if they so much as spotted them.
Needless to say, it's a bit of scuffle on their part. Though there are also some who try to keep an eye on them, in hopes that they would see a romantic moment. But all their plans go down the drain because Wei Wuxian always calls them out, having noticed them hiding.

Ouyang Zizhen is another case.
Sizhui and Jingyi don't know if it's just exaggeration on Zizhen's part or if Hanguang-Jun and Wei qianbe really are that mushy. According to Zizhen, they are.

"You don't know what I saw! I was just coming to meet you all and Wei qianbe....he had Hanguang-Jun against a pillar, kissing him!"

"Zizhen! Sizhui is here! Can you tone it down? Also, how are you so sure that they were kissing?"

"Jingyi...." Sizhui sounds pained.
For all his love for his Xian gege and Zhan gege, he does not need to or wants to hear about their love. Knowing that they have eachother is enough!

"You two! What's so special about this? Mind your own business, will you?
You are making Sizhui uncomfortable."

Jin Ling shouted, glaring at the duo. Sizhui is relieved to have an ally in these trying times. Truly, even Jingyi has abandoned him when they first spotted Hanguang-Jun and Wei qianbe in each other's arms-looking like they had interrupted a very important moment.

Still, Sizhui was happy that they knew, that his A Die and Baba both knew their heart sang together and will do so for eternity.

*************

Soon, Lan Wangji is healed and ready to go back to Cloud Recesses.

Wei Wuxian has many thoughts about this.

He mops for the entire week, stormy clouds visible over his head whenever Lan Zhan is not in front of him.
The Yunmeng disciples suffer.

Recently, their sect leader had this crazy idea that the Yiling Patriarch (who was their sect leader's shixiong in his first life before defecting) had claimed the position of 'impromptu instructor' and will be overseeing their formation practice and spar sessions. The formation practices are bearable if only because they can watch and appreciate the forms but spar sessions? A nightmare.

Wei Wuxian is quick on his feet and while he does use some techniques from Yunmeng Jiang style, his steps and fighting styles vary considerably.
One second he could be parrying a simple front strike and the next he would have his sword at your neck. One second you could just be a second away from slicing off his arm and the next you would find his sword pointed at your chest.

Wei Wuxian had told them once that in his previous life there had been only one person who could fight against him and match his style. It doesn't take long for the disciples to find put that the person equal to their teacher was no one other than Hanguang-Jun.

That doesn't help them in their sessions.

It's a constant scare, each session able to give one multiple heart attacks.
Also, Wei Wuxian's looks seem to distract everyone.

Jiang Wanyin yells at them to focus every time he comes to watch.
It's a battle each time.

'It's not you sect leader. You would have been the same if that smile was directed at you.'

Sadly, Wei Wuxian is their sect leader's brother; though not related by blood they have a strong yet strange bond. The YunmengJiang's disciples had discovered so.

All the while, Wei Wuxian is none the wiser. He is quick to toss questions which leaves them scratching their head and then launch into a tale about it that no one can forget about it for months. The most interesting and looked forward class is of talismans and arrays.

While Wei Wuxian is obviously the best swordsman of his generation, there's no one who can match him in that.
But talismans? Many disciples are quick to question his approach, eager to learn and explore. But keeping up with him sometimes becomes almost impossible.

One second he could be sprouting theories which would probably leave some other cultivators, (read: Grandmaster Lan) in qi deviation and the next second he could get so absorbed in his ideas that he would dismiss the class with a simple 'write your ideas about the topic and present them in the next class' before going off to invent yet another talisman.

Most are related to perform tasks a common person without a core can't.

《♤**************♤》

"Wei Ying"
"Lan Zhan.."

They are at the pier, the Lan retinue ready to depart for Gusu. Lan Xichen is checking everything while the juniors pretend not to listen or look, shuffling around. Jiang Cheng is simply standing nearby (for his brother's moral support).

Wei Wuxian is strictly against Lan Zhan returning to Cloud Recesses. He even went as far as asking if he perhaps needs to send Wen Ning or come himself. Lan Wangji had just pecked him, making his escape before Wei Wuxian's brain could restart.
(It's a nice distraction and works every time.)

Lan Wangji makes good use of the method.

And now, here they were.

"Lan Zhan, promise me that you will come back, that you will enjoy the festival with me."

"Mn" Out of a sudden, Wei Wuxian hugged his zhiji, burying his face in the crook of that beautiful unmarred neck. For a second Lan Wangji went rigid with shock, before his body relaxed as Wei Ying continued to hug him, his grip tightening. They had hugged before, Wei Ying liked to hug him out of nowhere often; claiming he was squishy.

'I can't do anything but hug you Lan Zhan when you look like a squishy pillow.'

Lan Wangji had refused to talk to him for hours after that. 'I AM SORRY LAN ZHAN!'

Still they had not done so in front of so many people. And yet, Lan Wangji found himself relaxing. Soon his own arms came to wrap around Wei Ying's back, holding him close. They stayed like that for sometime before Wei Ying reluctantly let him go.

The Lans bow one last time, Lan Wangji leading the formation with Lan Xichen- thanking YunmengJiang for their help and hospitality and then, they are off.

Wei Wuxian watches as they go, a smile hiding the tension he feels. Just as they are starting to disappear, Wei Wuxian shouted: "Lan Zhan! I will come to check on you! So tell that old man Lan to be prepared!"

Lan Wangji turned, surprised at the sudden shout but smiled. He has been smiling a lot these days, Wei Wuxian couldn't be more lucky. He grinned back, watching them go with a dopey smile. Beside him, Jiang Cheng made a retching sound.

Wei Wuxian shoved him in water.

🍁******🍂******🍁

Summer turns to monsoon which rolls into autumn in a steady yet agonising slow pace. Wei Wuxian spends his days perfecting his sword forms and balancing his qi, strengthening his core and longing for a new letter from Lan Zhan as soon as he had written a reply to the last one.
Their letters are usually short, simple things that happen in their daily lives. Lan Zhan is buried in work though Lan Xichen has stepped forward and is helping as much as he can.

Zewu-Jun is now officially Sect Leader Lan once again and is helping Chief Cultivator in his duties. This has helped Lan Wangji a lot but there are problems which need his personal interference.

Sizhui sends him letters regularly, telling him about everything which happens in Cloud Recesses.
Mostly they talk about Sizhui's health and nighthunts, sometimes about Wei Wuxian's plans of visiting or surprising Lan Wangji. Lan Wangji doesn't know how the things reach Jingshi each time without anyone knowing about it but each time he finds another jade hairpin with a curled dragon on top, a soft handkerchief with lavenders woven at one end and a very bold Lan Zhan written in the same corner; a smile blooms on his face.

🍁⚜️🍁

Yunmeng is ready for festival and before Wei Wuxian knows it, the streets are adorned in lanterns and laughter as people gather to enjoy and celebrate a successful harvest.

It's homey and nostalgic, the smell of fried fish and spicy buns wafting in the air, filling the atmosphere with a sense of hunger and home. The Jiang Sect disciples have already planned their night and with the exception of older disciples on guard duty, almost everyone else is in a festive mood.

Wei Wuxian is whispering something to the junior disciples when his brother catches him.

"There you are! Stop corrupting my disciples and focus. Being nervous isn't going to help you." Wei Wuxian sighed. How could he not be nervous?
Jiang Cheng never had to worry about these things, of course he would not understand his brother's plight.

"But Jiang Cheng..."
"No buts. You are coming with me."
He turned to the disciples still standing there and glared, making them scurry away in fear.

"Drink. Now." A jar passed in his hand and Wei Wuxian looked at it only to huff a laugh.

"Lotus wine? Seriously Jiang Cheng?"

"You need to expel that excess energy of yours or else you are going to run away, again."

"I never ran away."

"You did and I bet you will do so again so do me and Chief Cultivator a favour and drink."

Wei Wuxian sighed before taking a big gulp straight from the jar. The brothers drank in silence, the sound of satisfaction and the jars clinking filling the silence.

"You know, I still don't want Wen Qionglin to step foot in Lotus Pier."

"Jiang Cheng..." there was warning in Wei Wuxian's voice though a resignation too.

They have been through this, countless times. Jiang Cheng knows and understands that Wen Ning and Wen Qing helped them, that without their help Jiang Cheng probably would have died and the Jiang clan would have been erased; but the name Wen still makes his hackles rise in a way which irks his brother. The fact that in the past Wei Wuxian chose to stand with the Dafan Wens and not with the sect which raised him also has a role in the complex, add to it Jiang Cheng's inability to cope with his tumbling feelings and think clearly when faced with such situations- it's a disaster waiting to happen.

The weight of Madam Yu's harsh words sits heavily on both, a grouchy voice shouting in the background to obey and eliminate. To kill and survive, to stand and crush the so called vile.

They are working on it, to push that voice away, learning to defect, to disobey; but it's a long way to go. Especially for Jiang Cheng.
No matter what he tries, he cannot find the strength to disobey his mother's voice in his head, to stop the words dripping with venomous disappointment.

And then there's Wei Wuxian's guilt and sense of self-sacrificing duty.
They try, they cry, they strive.
Stopping at each point to rest and then push with all they can for the while.

"No, listen. Let me talk, you always have so much to say. I want to speak too."

Wei Wuxian inclined his head, keeping his jar down. Jiang Cheng really wanted to try and Wei Wuxian was happy for that, but it hurt to see what their past has done to them, to see his brother struggling just because he had to choose the right, choose his brother- who wasn't even blood-related over his own mother.

Jiang Cheng had shouted at him for this once.

"Don't you dare question our brotherhood or what A Jie said meant nothing to you?

We were, we are and we will; always no matter what happens- siblings.
I know what she said was wrong.
I know those words weren't true.

Do not think for a second Wei Wuxian that I did not had the time to reflect and think each and every instance of our lives in those sixteen years!

I cannot....I cannot just accept that, hell I can't even think of that!

But remember that I did not choose you over anyone! This is my choice and way of accepting my sins and I will do it the way I want to! You do not get a say in my choice of grieving or doing things."

You do not get to choose how I try to make up for all that I couldn't before.

"You always have the best solution.
The easiest one Wei Wuxian.
Throwing yourself into the fire.
Why? Why couldn't you let them be?
I know you promised them, I know you owed them and you kept your promise.
You made good of your vows.
But what about me?"

The ending echoes between them, lurking in the shadows, a loud silence.

Wei Wuxian himself didn't know what his face was doing, nothing good for sure. Abandoning his jar, he went on his brother's side, turning his shidi to face him.

"You do not have to do much Jiang Cheng. Just accept Wen Ning as he is. Treat him like you would a fellow cultivator, with courtesy and I am sure Wen Qing, Wen Ning, their family they all would forgive you."

The purple robed sect leader stared blankly into those tired silver eyes, red rimmed because of emotion; not believing it was that easy.

He had once thought of courting Wen Qing and then stood with the killer of her family when he knew they were innocents.

"Why didn't you come to me?"

"If I came to you, If I asked you Sect leader Jiang, would you have really brought me to A Ning?"

"Sect Leader Jiang, kindly take this comb back. I cannot accept this."

The past was the heaviest weight one could feel and Jiang Wanyin had felt that weight oppressing him each day. Guilt wouldn't help him repent and his pride won't help him speak.

"H-ho-w?"

"A step at a time A Cheng, a step at a time."

♤~****🍁****~♤

After the tears had dried and both brothers looked presentable, Jiang Cheng dragged them around the Lotus Pier, rechecking things and arrangements while snapping at a jittery Wei Wuxian to get it together. The disciples had put the things in their place, the kitchen ayi had already made preparations 'yes Wei gonzi, we know, only the minimal spice'; the merchants and the seamstress had delivered the fabrics and everything.

'They are just as you told us Wei gonzi, floating fabrics.'

Still, Wei Wuxian was a mess of nerves as the evening approached.

Lan Wangji arrives with Lan Sizhui just as the sun is setting and Wei Wuxian drops everything he was doing to go see him when a disciple shouts out the welcome.

Sizhui is happy to reunite with his Xian gege, hugging him as soon as the pleasantries are over. Then Wei Wuxian tells him about Wen Ning being there and the boy leaves them after a last squeezed hug.

"Lan Zhan"
"Wei Ying"

Somehow Wei Wuxian's brain doesn't know what to say right now. He looks at Lan Wangji, really looks at him and notices that he is wearing the blue and white Cape.

The same Cape Wei Wuxian had commissioned on a spur in a village during his travels.

It looked beautiful on him, the receding sunlight giving an ethereal glow to the already magnificent persona.
The lapels at the top were a perfect cut, the fabric rustling as Lan Wangji moved. But before Wei Wuxian could hope for his brain to function, his eyes fell on the hairpin in Lan Wangji's hair and well.

You see, Wei Wuxian is a weak man. The world may call him the deadliest, cruellest, strongest man to ever walk on this earth but faced with his zhiji's beauty- he cannot. He cannot just stand and stare like a fool when he knows he has the right to kiss those plush lips and hug this perfection of a man who is his.

"Lan-Zhan.." Shaking his head, Wei Wuxian tried again.

"You look great. Beautiful."
"Mn. Wei Ying looks great too."

Wei Wuxian isn't wearing anything great (according to him), just his usual royal blue and red robes, the ones he Jiang Cheng gave him( Jiang Cheng insisted Wei Wuxian wear them or he would not talk to him).
The outermost robe has delicate patterns of scales and swirls on it with an occasional lotus here and there.
The lower part is divided, the stark red underneath contrasting artfully with it.

"Lan Zhan! Aarggh...stop being so smart or I will kiss you hard right here, again!"

They meet Jiang Cheng first before going to Wei Wuxian's way on Lan Wangji's insistence 'it would be rude to delay greeting Sect Leader Jiang, Wei Ying'.

Wei Ying pouts. He knows Lan Zhan doesn't like Jiang Cheng, the feeling's mutual actually but still....sometimes he wished these stupid custom of pleasantries didn't exist.

Jiang Cheng only bows curtly, wishing them a happy night before he is out of their sight. But before he could walk away, he turns, and in a voice which sounds quite gruff for the talk says,

"You know, I had appreciate it if you use silence talisman tonight."

Wei Wuxian chokes on his breath. Beside him, Lan Wangji's ears flame.

"JIANG CHENG!!!!"

🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

"Please don't mind him Lan Zhan!
That brat of a brother just wants to embarrass me for no reason. Humph."

"Mn."

Still his burning ears are a tell tale sign of his embarrassment, the fact that Jiang Wanyin, the most gruff person and Wei Wuxian's brother had thrown such a comment only increased his mortification.

"Ah, here we are."

Lan Wangji looks up to find that they are in front of a room, but it's not the room itself which interests him.
The courtyard and the corridors around them.....it looks like they are in the inner area of the Lotus Pier, not the usual guest quarters area.
It's...the area of inner members.

"Wei Ying"

Wei Wuxian fidgets where he stands, not meeting his eyes and Lan Wangji sighs. This man, he doesn't know how Wei Ying managed to make Jiang Wanyin agree to this but giving him a room reserved for family is still a great respect than he could have hoped for from Jiang Wanyin. Maybe, the sect leader is willing to tolerate him for Wei Ying.

"Ah Lan Zhan...come inside. I have something to show you!"

Lan Wangji looks inside the room and sure the lotuses are more prominent here, the entire room decorated tastefully but intimately for a family member. Probably for the distant disciples or the family on Madam Yu's side. In the middle of it all stands Wei Ying, waving at him wildly.

He goes easily, his feet carrying him towards the sunshine of his zhiji before his cognizant part of the brain can process the gesture.

"Lan Zhan! Ahhh, feel free to say no if you don't like something or the fabric is uncomfortable but here's something small." Wei Ying gestures towards the robes kept on the bed and oh.
Lan Wangji is smitten.

He knows Wei Ying always had a great taste for art and everything related but this? The robes are folded but even the collar and the colour of fabric looks divine. A blend of baby blue, lavender and white. Lovely and gorgeous at first sight. He needs to erase that doubt in Wei Ying's mind and what better way to do that than try the robe and show Wei Ying how great his choice is?

He tells Wei Ying to wait while ducking behind the privacy to change.
The fabric feels soft on his skin, light and soft like a gentle caress. Tying the last loop in, Lan Wangji puts the cape on and takes a deep breath before stepping around the screen.

"Wei Ying"

Wei Wuxian looks up at Lan Zhan's voice and stares; his brain not functioning.

Lan Zhan...he looks divine.
Lavender suits him, Wei Wuxian thinks faintly. The flowers on the robe only accentuate his glowing persona and sharp features; the barest hint of blue a nice blend. It takes him a moment to gather his thought and remember how to form words, but when he does Wei Wuxian is quick to use it.

"You-you look....great Lan Zhan. Ethereal."

The way those ears blush prettily are more than enough for Wei Wuxian's satisfaction. He takes a moment to admire the piece of art in front of him, feeling giddy at the thought that this man belongs to him. Soon in every way.

Lan Zhan stands there, letting Wei Ying adjust his collars and sleeves, admiring the robes on him. And then as if he couldn't help himself, Wei Ying dives in for a kiss- "my beautiful zhiji, Lan Zhan; my airen, xingan" murmured in between their lips.

Lan Wangji preens under the attention.

For a moment, neither speak, content to exist in the silence. Then, Lan Wangji remembers. He had also brought something for Wei Ying.

"Wei Ying, I also have something for you." He had designed it himself, jade carving was not something he could do so he had done what could. He hopes Wei Ying will like it.

"What is it Lan Zhan?"

Lan Wangji goes where he kept his quankin pouch, taking out the jade pendant and hiding it behind his back.

"Close your eyes."
"Ah? Lan Zhan! Just give me what you brought! I want to seeee!"

For all his whining, Wei Ying still closes his eyes, smiling. Lan Wangji goes to him, taking Wei Ying's hand and placing the pendant in his palm before closing it. Wei Ying frowns, eyes closed but trying to understand what's in his hand.

"You can open your eyes."

"Lan Zhan.." Wei Wuxian knows the thing in his hand is a waist ornament before he sees it. But what greets his eyes is still a surprise. There in his palm sits a polished jade pendant with a red tassel- the curled dragon in the centre of the piece....Wei Wuxian squints at it and ah. It's enchanted.
"Lan Zhan...this..."
"This is an entry token, custom made for...family." Lan Zhan doesn't look at him as he says this, like it's something he is afraid of speaking. Wei Wuxian looks at him, really looks at him and wonders, how did I get so lucky?

When Wei Ying said that the wanted to court him, Lan Wangji was ready to protest. They had waited so much, was courting really necessary?
But then Wei Ying had looked at him fondly and said,

"Lan Zhan, for all my life as long as I can remember, I never did anything the way it was supposed to be.
I did not get to have the soul cleansing ceremony, my core was already taking shape by the time I was brought to Lotus Pier. I want to have this, please?
Will you give this humble one the chance to court you Lan Zhan?"

"Ask me once again." Wei Ying looked confused but he wasn't the only one who could be cheeky. Lan Wangji had his fair share of cheek with Sizhui growing up. Wei Ying took one look at his gleaming eyes and caught on.
With a confident smirk, he made both of them stand and then bowing low, as was customary of the person wanting to court their loved one, asked in a serious tone:

"Lan Er Gonzi, I, Wei Wuxian, a YunmengJiang's former head disciple wishes to show his sincere interest and feelings for you and requests you to give this humble one a chance to prove himself worthy of being your cultivation partner. Lan Zhan, will you allow me to court you ?"

By the end of his speech, Wei Ying still hadn't looked up and what was Lan Wangji supposed to do but say yes to such a beautiful proposal?

He helped Wei Ying up from his bow, keeping his hand tight around those muscular arms as he assured his zhiji about his love.

"Wei Ying, you are the only one who is worthy of being my cultivation partner. There's no one who ever came close to it. My answer....is yes."

Wei Ying grinned before stealing a kiss right there. Before Lan Wangji could chastise him for that, his zhiji smiled mischievously.

"I won't be seeing you for months Lan Zhan! Months! I need my storage of kisses and hugs to be full for that time."

Lan Wangji gave him enough kisses to last their time apart and some more.

《🍁🍁⚜️🍁🍁》

Wei Ying steers them towards the lit streets full of hustle and bustle of the festive mood after the juniors have gushed enough at Lan Wangji's new look. Sizhui, ever the observer, notices something more.

"Wei qianbe, you are wearing blue!"

Wei Wuxian had discarded black for quite sometime, choosing to wear the robes Jiang Cheng had given him more often and today? Well, he wanted to look his best in front of Lan Zhan.

"Wow Wei qianbe! You look stunning!"
Zizhen gushed, starry eyed.

Jin Ling too had complimented him( gruffly) but Wei Wuxian knew his nephew was just trying to keep his act..

Now, here they are, strolling through the Yunmeng market and enjoying the scenes. The sizzling of oil and aroma of different sweets, the mouth-watering delicacies found only in streets, the shouts of glittering pieces of art and painted lanterns in stead; all these painted a perfect picture of Yunmeng in its festive glee.

A few market aunties have already given them a steaming bun, gushed about 'handsome boys filling the area' and lauded them with some trinkets.
Throughout their exploration, Wei Ying talks. He talks and talks and talks; telling Lan Zhan about everything he still remembers about the festival, about Yunmeng.

Wei Wuxian took a huge bite out of the steamed bun which Lan Wangji bought for him while thinking about his plan. He needed somewhere quiet, somewhere he didn't have to worry about making a fool of himself.
Beside him, Lan Wangji nibbled on savoury tender meatballs, selected specially by Wei Wuxian.

'You have to taste these Lan Zhan!
Xie ayi makes the best meatballs around here!' In his haste to buy something for his zhiji (to get back at Lan Zhan for those surprising buns), Wei Wuxian had forgotten that Lan Wangji didn't eat meat if he could avoid it. Imagine Wei Wuxian's shock when he saw his zhiji take a bite and hum pleasantly, thanking the ayi who gave them the meatballs. The old lady snickered, her eyes twinkling with age-old experience.

"Gonzi, enjoy the festival. This is an auspicious day for everyone."
Then as if she was telling Lan Wangji a secret, she beckoned him closer, whispering: "Specially for lovers!"
Lan Wangji could feel his ears heat but he nodded politely.

"Also, I have never seen Wei gonzi speechless! Good luck you two!"

Wei Wuxian stared as the old lady joked with Lan Zhan, who smiled at her.
She pinched his cheeks, fussing over him and Wei Wuxian just stood there, on the side lines. 'Well, it's good to be ignored sometimes.'

《♤🍁🍁⚜️🍁🍁♤》

"Lan Zhan"
"Mn"

"Have you ever thought what it would be like if....if I had my original golden core? Like if I always had my body, even without this ritual?"
He knows he is spiralling down, but the thoughts bug him all the time.

"Wei Ying" A strange hitch in Lan Zhan's voice, surely Wei Ying was imagining it?

"I know, I know; you love me regardless but still....hah. Sometimes, I wish I never died."

"Me too."

"Ah?" Lan Wangji closed his eyes, refusing to meet the silver depths of his zhiji least he get lost in them and spill more than required.

"I also wished Wei Ying, that you never died. I wished..."

He was looking at the river resolutely, knowing he won't be able to control himself the moment their eyes met.
Wei Wuxian followed his eyes, finding a lone lantern floating by. It was quite early for anyone to release a lantern but a few could be found in the river, released to guide the lost spirits in their path to another plane. *

How many have wished but never got what they hoped for? How many have pleaded but never got what they begged for? How many have rubbed their nose into the feet of power, just for a moment of reprieve and got merciless death instead, in the face of all?

If he, a sinner, gets to have this much knowing his zhiji suffered so much, spent years without knowing if they could ever have the chance to meet again, even in afterlife; who is he to question it all? Should he gasp for more than he can hold or just let go of everything without any protest or fight for doom?

Lan Zhan, Jiang Cheng, A Yuan; they never knew if they would meet me again. And yet, they lived.

"Lan Zhan, if I never returned, in my second life resurrected like this, what would you have done?"

The words clog his throat, choking him inside but he needs to know. Yes, his ugly mind cannot accept the fact that everything is always as it looks.
That he deserves love, has earned his share of affection and is not thriving on borrowed things, which could be snatched away at any moment.

As if reading his thoughts, Lan Wangji turned to him, interlacing their hands together as he assured him through words Wei Wuxian knew he needed but did not had the guts to ask for.
Still, those eyes focused on the interlaced hands and not on his own.

"Wei Ying, you don't have to earn my love. Or A Yuan's love. Even your brother, he would not appreciate you thinking you need to earn his affection."

A pause, as if Lan Zhan was trying to form the right words and knowing how much of a struggle it was for him every time, Wei Wuxian wanted to stop him. But his voice won't cooperate with him. Like a lock was hanging from his neck, his vocal cords clutched by his scared heart- Wei Ying stood there like a statue; his ears ringing with each word.

"I....If you....if you have not returned, I would have spent my life taking care of Sizhui and when he didn't need me anymore......I would have given up."

The words crash against his conscience, harsh reality of a life without any love. They beat against the frail barrier of his heart, valiant in their effort to break the last thread keeping clutching his soul and covering the hollow in his chest.

I would have given up.
When he didn't need me anymore, I would've given up.

Given up.

On life, goes unsaid. Lan Zhan, the best cultivator of their generation, a true role model for all; crushed under the weight of love. So much that he was willing to end his life if it meant he could escape the weight of his regret and reminder of his failure for eternity. But who could object to him doing so? All his life, Lan Zhan has seen his loved ones suffer- watched as each one succumbed to a place he could never follow. Not unless he chose to die. Not unless he gave up immortality, a possible chance at ascension to embrace death in hopes that one day, one day he could perhaps have a glimpse of his mother or love.
He wouldn't remember but their soul could reach out, perhaps. Who knows? But is a non existing hope in infinity better than a lifetime reminder of your regret and loss? Yes.

"You...you...Lan...Zhan? Why?"

He doesn't need an answer though. Soulmates. Lan Zhan believed them to be soulmates. He was sure that maybe someday they could meet, even if they won't have any recollection of their previous life. Wei Wuxian looked at the bowed figure in front of him, his zhiji, his airen, the man who the world praised and mocked and respected.
A man who underneath all his icy exterior was just someone who had to see everyone close to him suffer and just wanted them to feel loved.
Be it Madam Lan, Lan Qiren, Lan Xichen, Wei Wuxian or A Yuan.

"Lan Zhan?"

"Lan Zhan, won't you look at me?"

It gets him a slight raise of head but Lan Zhan still won't look at him.
Cupping his face and raising it to look into those shining golden eyes, Wei Wuxian realises; all this time, they both have been scared of just one thing. Love.

It's interesting, how a feeling so coveted by humans can be the very reason of one's misery. Scholars have wrote ballads about the beauty of love but they forgot that for all the legendary tales and gales of affection and purity of the emotion, love can scare you too.

"Lan Zhan, do you know we both are fools?"

Lan Wangji blinked slowly, not understanding. Wei Wuxian huffed, kissing his zhiji's cheek. He had hoped for a better mood, surely not one as sombre as the present but well.

"Lan Zhan, you are so amazing, I like you, I love you; or in other words, I fancy you, want you, it can't be anyone but you Lan Zhan. I want to nighthunt with you for the rest of my life, grow old with you and sleep with you everyday! Lan Zhan, will you marry me?"

For a moment, Lan Wangji went blank but as soon as his brain registered the words:

"Yes" and then Wei Wuxian had his arms full with a teary Lan Zhan, soft lips pressed against his.

For a moment Wei Ying was stunned before he grabbed the back of his zhiji's neck and returned the kiss with fervour. Fireworks exploded behind them as Wei Ying swung Lan Zhan around in his embrace, laughing through his tears. Arms wrapped around Wei Ying's neck, Lan Zhan smiled- a wide smile which made his eyes turn crescent, a full bloom smile as Wei Wuxian dove for another kiss, this one harder and longer.

The juniors burst out from their hiding as soon as the kiss was over, swarming the couple and congratulating them. Sizhui was the happiest along with a mock angry Jin Ling who hugged his da jiu as soon as he could (which was after Sizhui reluctantly let Wei Wuxian go so Jin Ling and others could hug his Xian gege too).

They all had tears in their eyes but a smile hung on their faces too- adjacent to the tears. Jin Ling refused to admit that he was crying.

"I just got something in my eyes!"

"You got tears in your eyes."
Lan Jingyi quipped. Sizhui did not even try to hide his tears, too busy hugging the life out of his Baba and A Die while Ouyang Zizhen was wailing on the side about the romantic moment with some other juniors.

Soon though, the kids left them and the couple enjoyed the night roaming the streets, enjoying delicacies and released a lantern at the end.
Wei Wuxian painted two bunnies on their lantern, entwined in a blue and red ribbon; they released the lantern together from their boat- a prayer and wish both.

Let us have this. We have fought enough, please allow us to have a future, together.
We have paid our debts with blood, we have cleared our names from the dirt.
We do not ask much- just allow us to hold onto eachother.

'I hope I can stand by him, fight beside him, back to back and spend my last breath with him. I pray that we can have happiness now, after the storm and wish that the coming days will be kinder to us.'

'I pray that I shall never leave him alone, be with him when he needs me the most, fight and help, eat and hunt; spend an eternity and find eachother after all this ends once.'

'May we have the heaven's blessings for our union, for our family and future to come.'

Wei Ying turned towards his love, watching as Lan Zhan too turned to face him. A smile mirroring his own, they stared at eachother, communicating without words.
Words have always failed them, never enough to convey what really was in heart. So they talked with their eyes- open to none but the love of their life.

The full moon and the starry night, both were a witness to the union of lovers of lifetime. Lips pressed against eachother, eyes closed with time-the two soulmates lost themselves in the tranquil of peaceful night.

Under the moon goddess' eyes, finally the one song which made the two soulmates reunite- it's name out as the words 'Wangxian' was whispered between sweet and deep kisses; somehow even the moon smiled, glowing bright.

♤🍁🍂⚜️🍂🍁♤

"A Zhan.."

A figure dressed in forest green and phthalo came inside the room, smiling as he spotted his brother.

"Xiongzhang."

Lan Wangji got up to greet his brother, who gently guided them towards the dressing vanity.

"Let me help you with you robes."
"Hm."

For all his Gusu robes, Lan Wangji had never wore so many layers.
He had on a total of eight layers, with the innermost a gift for the wedding night. The layers were made from brocade and silk being the main fabric to softest cotton, the last and innermost something he never thought he would ever see, no less wear for his wedding.
His robes were a vermillion red, the outermost layer draped on him like a final cover.

The edges of the main upper robe had intricately woven patterns in them, sewn with threads of gold.
Tiny gems, baby pink and turquoise shone between them, weaved in the form of lotuses when the light from the candles and lanterns fell on them, enhancing the glow of his pale skin but not looking overly decorated.

The arms of the robes had a phoenix and a five claw dragon swirling in a wave, dancing around eachother- with one of their claws held like two eagles in a battle of glory. But the whole painting looked more like a mating dance; two heavenly creatures, matched at everything-synced in mind, body and soul that none could tear them apart.

Just like them.

The stopped at his shoulders, just where his arms start. The shoulders of the robe had a sharp edged clouds on them, an imitation of his battle robes, in a creative way. The collar of the robes had varying designs based on layers- the uppermost showing lotuses with pink gems and gold thread clouds; the second layer having peonies and the third layer with barely visible curvy patterns and lotus pods.

The robes themselves were full of embroidery, with peonies and orchids curving around his front from the shoulder to the either side of his chest - giving way to a few nine petal lotuses in between. The belt had a big nine petal Lotus in the centre in a circle and bronze clouds were on either side of it, with mandarin ducks in between.

There was a pendent hanging from the belt, attached to the lotus in the centre. It had been a marital gift. The pendent had a lotus just like Wei Ying had, but a bit more decorative. It had a brass circle with a lotus free to rotate about its axis, with tassels and a Jiang bell attached to it. The tassels had a few pearls in them at the end and the bell clicked when he moved. There was a gold chain, sectioned in two parts attached to it for today.

There was a pearl waist ornament going around the fabric one, divided in three parts and then a jade pendant too. After the belt, there was a four part lapel, with a feather of phoenix woven in yellow threads at the end centre on each part with a double style border.

The lower part of the outermost layer had gentians, starting from the scales of the dragon going up till his sternum and meeting another dragon from the other side at the back of his collar- making them look like originating from the scales like fire with patterns weaving their way in between the flowers to flow and spread in full bloom. The ends of the robes had lotuses of different types reaching up towards the clouds, ending with a broad lining of auspicious symbols and patterns.

At the back, a phoenix was woven in flight with her wings in full spread, red gems glittering like amber at her crown and in between wings. The tails too were beautifully made with the whole embroidery in threads of gold.
The tails started just above the belt, re-emerging below his waist and going down his thighs, ending above his knees.

The red veil had been laden with dangling gold jewels in the shape of droplets and lotuses, beads hanging off them. There was no embroidery but designs woven in the fabric during the making of the cloth itself.

Lan Wangji was sure that those jewels will announce his arrival to anyone if he so much as moved an inch.

He had only been informed about gold and gems being used in his robes, and the work being discussed with the head seamstress by Wei Ying and Lan Xichen himself. But when Lan Wangji asked about details, he had been denied information with Wei Ying whining about the element of surprise being lost. His brother too had a strange twinkling in his eyes, which brought back memories- one which Lan Wangji dug from his childhood when his brother was plotting ways to pinch his cheek or rope him into sitting in their mother's lap for sometime so he could paint them.

He was never successful, because Lan Zhan had always been smart even as a baby and whenever Lan Huan would try to trick him into something, he either learned it and didn't let the trick repeat or in case of the painting......let's just say that Lan Huan couldn't stand watching his baby brother cry ( though he was guilty for that).

FLASHBACK

When little A Zhan found that his brother had been successful in tricking him and a painting was in front of him featuring him snuggled up in their mother's lap while his mother stroked his head with a soft smile; he had first gotten red with embarrassment.
Not only his ears, but his whole face had been red and Lan Huan was amazed at the development- laughing about how his brother changed into a red blossom which made little A Zhan cry.

He looked cute, if the elder had a say in it and so he pinched those chubby cheeks, squishing them for extra effect.
But that only made the younger squirm and hide himself in his mother's lap (though she was not innocent in the painting trick but A Zhan believed that his Muqin won't betray him, he was sure of the fact that she would protect him and his cheeks); he even hid his cheeks with his palms in case Muqin wasn't able to dodge the attack; after all Xiongzhang was fast.

He had started cultivating and would often use his heightened senses to catch him whenever A Zhan tried to hide from him.

So after that incident, Lan Huan stopped tricking his didi, he would just ask him softly with his eyes shining and tone so soft that A Zhan was unable to deny him.

Flashback ends

Recalling that incident and the aftermath of how his brother had mastered the art of soft speaking and shiny eyes, Lan Wangji was sure if those twinkling eyes had made an appearance then he was doomed; but....if a bit of embarrassment on his part made his brother this happy, the most he had been since his seclusion ended and his wedding was announced then maybe he could endure it.

Also, Wei Ying was always throwing sly glances towards him ever since the wedding robes had been finalised and whatever made his future husband happy, Lan Wangji was willing to go through. It made shivers run down his spine because oh....he knew that look.

It was the look which said 'I know something you don't, but you are going to like it.'

He knew Wei Ying would never embarrass him ( unless he was teasing but then it was harmless) so it was safe to say that Lan Wangji was eagerly looking forward to try the robes.

He had even tried to sneak peek, something he thought he had grown out of. Apparently not. Maybe nothing has intrigued him this much since Wei Ying's appearance that he thought this habit was gone. It's not nice to be caught by his brother. Never.

♤🍁🍂⚜️🍂🍁♤

The baritone of gongs ring in the background, the shrill mix of pipa and suona balancing the resulting mix. Footsteps tittered by, a constant tip-tap- rushing to place the final decorations or checking onto food for the groom's party. Swathes of red, vermillion red draped the Cloud Recesses: the peaceful whites and blues replaced with festive and joyous red. Disciples, children, elders; everyone was either in red or in shades of green and orange robes with streaks of red in between.
Today was a day of celebration.

Inside Jingshi, two brothers went around in compatible silence; the elder combing through the waterfall of his didi's hair- expertly inserting pins and chains. As he finished, he looked down at the sectional the top the head, taking a peek in the mirror to admire his work.

"Hm. Just one-oh."

Lan Xichen sighed ruefully, stroking looking at his brother's hair and bare forehead.

"Xiongzhang"

Lan Wangji caught his brother's hand in his, looking at his reflection in the mirror.

"Wangji, you...look beautiful didi."
"Mn."

Lan Xichen laughed quietly at his brother's response, amused. His baby brother was getting married! He couldn't believe it.

"A Niang would have teased both of us so much, you getting married before me."

He said it with a sad lilt to his voice; the brothers felt a pang in their heart that their mother wasn't here with them to see her son getting married.
She would have been overjoyed.

Lan Wangji stood up, turning towards his brother, speaking gently.
He knew his brother was blaming himself, Lan Wangji won't let him blame himself for something which wasn't his fault. It was the elders, if they couldn't understand then Lan Xichen did not have to feel the burden of not being enough.

"Xiongzhang, you tried. Do not hold this against yourself. I don't want you to."

"Wangji...sigh. Still, forgive this Xiongzhang of yours for not being able to stop them. I know you don't hold this against me. You are too good for that didi, but I...I wanted you to have this. Like any other dignified Lan."

The elders had refused to allow Lan Wangji to have a marital ribbon for the wedding, saying that if he wanted to lay with the evil then he will not stain the Lan Clan anymore. Lan Xichen barely managed to keep this matter away from Wei Wuxian, or else Cloud Recesses would be bathed in a different kind of red. Blood red.

Lan Qiren had not said anything, his silence only aggravating the elders who took it as an opportunity to throw insults at his parenting and the brothers' upbringing. Since that day, neither of them had seen him.
Lan Zhanshi had also not said anything (Lan Wangji had to beg her not to tell anything to Wei Ying, he did not want the latter to face any more problems).

So here they are, Lan Wangji dressed as bright and red as he can in his wedding robes with his forehead bare.
Like a simple man dressed for wedding and not a Lan dressed for his wedding. Lan Xichen traced his brother's features, admiring each feature.
His brother was the best groom of the century. Speaking of Lan Zhanshi, she had come earlier to give her cousin a touch of makeup near his eyes, bringing out the golden in them.
She couldn't be here for she had other duties, 'damn Wei Wuxian, he swept you off your feet so soon'.
She was....going to guard him.

"Do not be hard on him tangjie. Don't scare Wei Ying."

"Oh, look at you! Taking your zhiji's side before your tangjie!
Oh...well. I won't scare him, just.....give his heart a shock? You know, normal stuff."

Lan Wangji prays she doesn't overdo anything.

Lan Xichen looked him over once more and deeming him good, lifted his arms.

"Wangji, come here?"

Lan Wangji went easily. Physical affection with Wei Ying has made it easier for him to accept touch and Lan Xichen has been so happy when he saw his brother initiate hugs he had cried. Obsidian green overlapped red, a beautiful contrast as the brothers embraced eachother.

Throughout each ritual, Lan Xichen had performed every step and procedure meant to be performed by an elder of the family; by a parent. Lan Wangji was glad to have such a brother and.....he was going to miss him.

After his wedding, he won't be a part of the Lan Clan; with his blue ribbon taken away and no marital ribbon, he was officially an outcast and while Lan Wangji could still visit him, the thought of not seeing his brother on a daily basis as he was used to made him ache inside.

'It's normal to feel like that. You will just miss him.'

Perhaps that's all. Perhaps it's only because he will miss his brother and maybe never get to see the rabbits and visit Gentian House and not because he had always hoped that if he ever got married then his shufu will be there for him, be with him, see him off as he took his bows with his spouse and went away, be there as he poured tea for family. He was the only parent figure apart from A Niang he had known.
He was the person who held him as he cried after A Niang was no more.

Unbeknown, his lashes weighed with tears trying to break free and Lan Wangji made some futile attempts to blink them back. Lan Xichen noticed.

"Wangji, don't cry. It's a day of celebration didi!"

Silly, how Lan Xichen talked about not crying and his own voice was heavy, throaty with clogged emotions.
They both tried to erase the one which somehow escaped, trying to not mess up the kohl when someone knocked. Lan Xichen looked in the direction of the door, a frown on his face.
The groom's party had yet to arrive and Sizhui was busy with the juniors so they could guard Lan Wangji.
Who could it be?

"I will go see who it is."
"Mn"

Lan Wangji kept an ear open, wondering who was here.
He heard his brother gasp and frowned. Did something happen?
Just as he was contemplating going over to see what was happening someone spoke.

"Wangji?" Lan Wangji froze.
Someone moved in his direction but Lan Wangji was too busy in his shock to register. He turned around reflexively when a hand landed on his shoulder, ready to flip the person over when he noticed who the person was.

"..Shufu...?"
"Wangji...my boy.."

Lan Qiren looked like he had aged fifty years in the span of a month.
His face had more wrinkles, his hair sporting streaks of grey and....he was dressed in an elders' robe.
He was dressed for the wedding.
A rough hand reached up, taking stock of his robes and face and Lan Wangji looked back at his brother who was standing at the back with tears in his eyes.

"Shufu.." His voice wavered, the tears returning before Lan Qiren spoke again.

"Foolish boy, why are you crying? Aren't you happy...Happy that your Wei Ying is coming to take you?"

His words shocked both of them, making them wonder if something happened. But before either of them could ask, Lan Qiren was shaking his head slowly, speaking again.

"Why cry when you should be happy Wangji?"

"Shufu.." Lan Qiren patted his head, a gesture long buried under layers of restraints.

"Huh....you have grown up Wangji ah. There are few things I need to tell you."

They sit at the table, Lan Xichen pouring tea while Lan Qiren fussed over his youngest nephew's wedding robes.

"Let them spread or else they will wrinkle."

Taking a sip of his tea, Lan Qiren sighed. He looked weary and this slight in his usually impeccable control over emotions only worried the brothers. Their uncle was never like this. Something has to happen.

"Wangji, Xichen. I know I have not been the parent figure I should have for you both and for that, I ask you two to forgive this shufu of yours."

Before either of them could object, the Grandmaster held up his hand.

"No. Don't. I know I made mistakes, committed crimes and sins; even if you both choose to omit that, the heaven has eyes. It has seen my transgressions and will probably punish me as it should, in time.
But today I need to tell you a few things. I hope you both will accept my decision at the end and not try to persuade me.
I have made my mind, and probably....this is for the best."

The old man turned towards his eldest nephew and Lan Xichen unconsciously straightened.

"You remember the poem I quoted to you a while back? When...when Wangji was in a deep sleep?"

At Lan Xichen's nod, Lan Qiren quoted those words he had spoken months ago- a haunted edge to his voice.

"Don't believe the words you hear,
Think about the words in air;
I cannot guarantee this heart will speak,
I wish, my mind could bleed."

Lan Xichen remembers, his uncle had spoken like he was dogmatic.
He had not dwelled much on those lines; perhaps he missed something crucial.

"Shufu, you were cursed."

Lan Wangji's eyes widened at the realisation while Lan Xichen stared at their uncle in shock.

"Wangji. Let it be said that whatever you heard, those words were never going to see the light of the day. Ever."

Seeing the penitent expression on his shufu is enough for him but Lan Wangji needs confirmation.

"Shufu, tell me. Please."
Lan Qiren speaks.

《🍁🍁⚜️🍁🍁》

Cursed to speak poisons buried deep, the ugly words of an aggrieved man-defeated and drowned in denialism.
There's a moment of silence and then noise.

The sound of gongs alerts them of the groom's party's arrival, they have probably reached at the foot of the mountain. Lan Qiren rises.

"Wangji, I know I didn't give you anything for the wedding but there's something I would like you to have."

He fishes inside a quankin pouch, producing a box and a ribbon.
A red Lan marital ribbon. For a member of inner clan.

The Lan brothers gasped, shocked, turning questioning eyes at their uncle.

"Shufu.."
Lan Wangji's voice is barely above a whisper, broken.

"Wangji, shufu is sorry for all that you had to suffer through. Accept this, probably my last gift to you and let this old man rest."

Lan Wangji lowered his head, a silent request. With shaking hands, Lan Qiren wrapped the sacred ribbon around his youngest nephew's head, completing the one ritual reserved for parent. Tying the marital ribbon around their children's head.

Lan Xichen made his brother sit in front of the mirror and as soon as Lan Wangji saw his reflection, his eyes turned misty. Lan Qiren puts the blossom hairpin in his hair with a sad smile, admiring the phoenix crown; one of the only trousseau of his mother.

"She didn't have anything apart from this and a few other things.
I somehow kept them with me for years. Maybe it's time I pass them on."

In that moment all the Lan brothers can see is a harried and tired old brother, left to pick up the pieces of his elder brother who brought only doom to his family because of his love. For maybe not the first time, the Lan brothers wonder- what if their father never met mother.

🍁🍁🍁⚜️🍁🍁🍁

There's still some time so they have not put the veil on. Lan Xichen thinks his uncle may as well cry if he saw Wangji wearing the veil. Well, he will have to.

"You look beautiful Wangji"
Lan Xichen whispered. Lan Qiren hummed in agreement, words seem quite difficult at the moment.

The youngest Lan turned, looking at them with glistening eyes and they couldn't hold it any longer.

Physical affection has never been an option for them with the rules ruling their lives; but the fragile moment somehow hurled away the barrier of restraint and the three of them somehow found themselves holding onto eachother.

⚜️

The YunmengJiang's entourage is as grand as it is jubilant. Wei Wuxian and Jiang Wanyin are at front, leading the way while disciples in bright shades of purple and lavender mixing with red form the rest of the party which makes it to the top of the mountain, at the entrance.
As they trek the mountain, Wei Wuxian lifted his dizi to his lips- a melody long etched in his heart soaring, a bright resonant filigree to meet the gentle tranquil of its qin. Everyone in the vicinity turned their heads as the sound of a guqin rose to greet its partner, the air all around inundate with the poignant piece.

Lan Zhanshi and Lan Xichen meet them at the entrance and as Wei Wuxian lowered his flute, he could see that their eyes were just a bit misty.
He bowed with his brother who was smiling, a first. The purple sect leader was in a great mood it would seem for he was smiling too, a rarity when the two brothers were together.

"Wei gonzi, welcome. I hope you are ready to face some challenges before you reach Wangji. He is waiting for you."

There was a glint in Lan Xichen's eyes, his smile just bordering on terrifying sweet. Wei Wuxian gave his best charming smile, his own eyes twinkling....

"Well I am sure I can take them on Zewu-Jun. Lan Zhan had his torture first, bring it on."

They went through various door games and trials, some keeping Wei Wuxian on his toes- specially the riddles.
He wonders how Lan Zhan managed in his own trial. Jiang Cheng could be scary. He had tried to wheedle out the details but all he got was 'You're his brother and he loves you. He did what he should. I am glad the trials weren't easy.'

His certainly aren't a child's play either, Wei Wuxian thinks petulantly- grumbling as he has to give money for each second spent extra on a task.
Still the promise of having Lan Zhan at the end of this string of gruelling trials and tests keeps him going.
Lan Xichen and Lan Zhanshi had really joined hands it seemed because Wei Ying was having a hard time passing a few tests. Especially the last.

"Wei gonzi, for the last trial I challenge you for a duel."

Wei Wuxian stopped short.
Out of all the tests and games, he had not anticipated this. A duel with the infamous First Jade, Lan Xichen?

"Zewu-Jun, I definitely wasn't expecting to fight, moreover against you.
But if this is what it takes then I accept."

Both parties stepped into the spar ground with their swords ready.
Jiang Cheng and Lan Zhanshi stood on the side-lines with the former having a grim expression. This could turn ugly.

"Fight" at the first signal both Wei Wuxian and Lan Xichen lunged at each other, neither willing to wait.
Their swords clashed with a loud bang-shinning as they met each blow directly. It was clear that both were fighting for a purpose; Lan Xichen for his brother and Wei Wuxian for his soulmate.

The cultivation world knew the First Jade to be the best cultivator of his age but it was clear that Wei Wuxian hadn't been a prodigy in his first life for nothing. He met each attack head on, parrying easily- not giving his opponent a chance to surprise him.
The first round ends in a barely there tie, both swords held at neck point.
The crowd was stunned as Wei Wuxian made his way towards the Jiangs while the juniors gazed at him worriedly.

"Wei qianbe looks tired already.
Did he hurt himself ?" Zizhen asked while others stayed silent. The next round could very well be the determining round.

The second round started similarly but some noticed a change.
Lan Xichen frowned as Wei Wuxian once again parried his attack instead of throwing back an attack of his own. This went on for a while before Lan Xichen's eyes widened. He smiled.

"It's a pleasure to experience your fighting skills in practise Wei gonzi."

"Why, the pleasure is all mine Zewu-Jun."

"Unfortunately, this ends now."
They both smirked before going at eachother again- and this time Lan Xichen felt the cold before he felt the metal. Wei Wuxian smiled; the crowd cheered.

"Wei gonzi fights differently.
I cannot see any resemblance to your Jiang fighting style Jiang zhongzhu."

"That's Wei Wuxian for you.
He has always been unique. Zewu-Jun might be more experienced but against Wei Wuxian, everyone needs to watch their steps."

Both Lan Zhanshi and Jiang Cheng gazed at the fight in front of them with trepidation, the tension in air was obvious.

In the third round, as Jiang Cheng had said, Lan Xichen had to watch his steps. His every blow was parried and deflected easily, with Wei Wuxian dealing blows at each chance he got. Like he has been holding back the whole time, he attacked from everywhere- not giving Lan Xichen a chance to recover from one attack before a other came his way.
It was safe to say that only years of experience and his core were keeping Lan Xichen above the waters.
Suddenly, as if a switch was turned on- Lan Xichen struck a wide arc, backing Wei Wuxian several feet away with a tear across his chest.
Good thing they changed before going at it.

"Zewu-Jun, you could have ruined my wedding robe if I hadn't changed!"

"Wei gonzi should take care that's it's only his robe and not his reputation which gets ruined."

Everyone gasped. No one had ever heard the Lan Sect Leader speak so bluntly or boldly.

"We will see Zewu-Jun."

At this, Lan Xichen moved but Wei Wuxian dodged. A tap on his shoulder and Lan Xichen turned.

"Ah..hah. I am here Zewu-Jun!"

Lan Xichen dashed towards him but once again Wei Wuxian swept away just before the sword could come anywhere near him. This went on for a while and Lan Xichen was getting frustrated. Every time he came anywhere near Wei Wuxian, the latter would jump away, laughing with a taunt before dealing a blow himself.
It was starting to wear him down, mentally. Another futile attempt at attack, Lan Xichen gave up- only parrying the attacks coming his way now. Soon the long blade pressed against his neck: leaving no chance at escape. With a clang, Shuoyue on the ground.

The crowd went wild at the result after the shock wore off. Distantly, Wei Wuxian registered all of this, smiling, before he succumbed to the call of darkness.

Later, after waking up in a room, Jiang Cheng yelled at him. Wei Wuxian smiled. At least he passed, now nothing stands between him and Lan Zhan.

🍁🍁🍁⚜️🍁🍁🍁

Finally, Wei Wuxian is shown towards the Jingshi. There, in the front stood the juniors, all decked in red.

"Aiyah my little radish and his companion ducklings! Stand aside for the Yiling Patriarch is here to whisk away your dear Hanguang-Jun!"

"Wei qianbe!" Sizhui smiled brightly, doe eyes lightening up upon seeing who had come.

"We are not letting you go unless you hand over your money!"

"A Ling! You ungrateful brat! I will strangle you right here if you don't stop. A Yuan...how about you steer your friends aside? Hm, it won't take long you know."

Jin Ling, his tetchy nephew just harrumphed. Sizhui smiled liked he could wait for whatever he had planned. It was a terrifying smile which Wei Wuxian swore the kid had mastered my mixing both his parent's signature features. He doesn't need to see that right now. He is weary and ready to pass out after the duel and just wants to see his beautiful soulmate before they can get out of here.

"Don't worry Wei qianbe, we don't need much. Just five red envelopes each person, considering you choose the big ones. After that we will easily let you pass."

OK. That was not something Wei Wuxian expected from his innocent and kind little radish. The betrayal!

"A Yuan! That's a huge amount! What are you kids even going to do with so much money?" Wei Wuxian squawked, eyes huge.

"Wei qianbe, it's not like we are asking for your money. We know Jiang zhongzhu gave you enough. So pay up."

Jingyi, that kid really spoke without filter.

"You-!!!"

"Hanguang-Jun isn't some lowly commoner whom you can have at a discount you fool. I am not letting you pass unless you give us an amount worthy of his standing."

At last, all the kids had their arms full of red envelops as a grumbling Wei Wuxian gave them enough money, much to the juniors' delight.

"You are lucky Lan Zhan can't hear you or else you would be scolded for sure."

"We are guarding Hanguang-Jun, of course we have to extract the maximum amount we could.
What, did you think we would let you go so easily?"

"Yeah, yeah....for Hanguang-Jun.
Don't fool me kid." He snorted, narrowing his eyes at the juniors who were looking a their hoard of red envelops gleefully.

"Wei qianbe, this way." At least his radish remembers his manners, Wei Wuxian thought huffing at the look of pure joy on their faces.

At last they reached the decked out Jingshi were Lan Wangji had been waiting for them. Today, the whole compound was swathed in red. Lanterns lined the pathway, though not lit they painted a beautiful picture together. The pond which usually lay empty had lamps in it, floating around while the small bridge had bells and flowers around it.

And his Lan Zhan was waiting inside this house for him.

"Xian gege." Sizhui whispered, bringing a hand on his arm to remind him of the present. For a moment Wei Wuxian was lost in the surroundings before he blinked. Away from prying eyes and mouths, the endearment felt grounding and Wei Wuxian turned towards his son, smiling brightly.

"A Yuan"

"Xian gege, I am happy for you and Zhan gege. Go, he is waiting for you."

"Hm" with a nod, Wei Wuxian turned towards the building, marching up the stairs before sliding the door open.
The interior was also decorated tastefully to suit the occasion though he suspected that Lan Zhan must have been kept busy for so much decorating to be there.

The person of his thoughts was, as Wei Wuxian realised belatedly, sitting in front of him- at the low table where his qin sat; those long fingers just shy of touching the strings.

"Wei Ying"

Wei Wuxian took his time to look at his zhiji- dressed from head to toe in red. When he had thought of the design and fabrics first he had forgotten to consider how much better the robe and the colour red would look on his beautiful zhiji. His Lan Zhan, dressed in robes designed like he was to be married to a god; Wei Wuxian considers himself lucky. Extremely so.

His fingers itch to remove the veil, to see that smiling and ethereal face and those burning pools of gold. Later, his brain whispers.

Later, when he will be all yours and no one's to look at.

"Lan Zhan..." Lan Zhan must know he is gawking, there's no way he doesn't.
Wei Ying is suddenly grateful for the veil. At least Lan Zhan won't see him making a fool of himself.

Clearing his throat, he tries again and is thankful when his voice comes out much better.

"Xingan, you look....wow. Just wow."

"Mn"

Huffing a laugh, Wei Ying helps Lan Zhan step around the table, mindful of his robes. When they stepped out of the Jingshi the juniors were there to greet them. They bowed in perfect tandem- at odds with teary eyes and wobbly smiles. Wei Wuxian felt like he was stealing Lan Zhan.

"Hey! What's that with those tears?
You make me feel like I am taking your Hanguang-Jun away for forever!"

"Aren't you?" Jingyi questioned, voice quivering. Wei Wuxian shook his head.

The other juniors managed to calm down Jingyi before the pair moved forward. As they reached the gate, Lan Qiren, Lan Xichen, Lan Zhanshi and a whole sea of Lan juniors were standing there. All of them had tears in their eyes- some outright crying.
Lan Xichen and Lan Zhanshi only seem to hold back their tears by complete Lan restraint.

But then Wei Wuxian notices Lan Qiren. The man looked like he had aged too much too quickly, and was that a tear streak on his face? As they neared the crowd, Lan Wangji's family surrounded him with the other little Lans trying to hug their Hanguang-Jun. Lan Qiren held his arms tightly while Lan Xichen and Lan Zhanshi smiled tearfully and put a hand on each red draped shoulder. Wei Wuxian turned, trying to blink back tears. No matter what happened, old man Lan seemed emotional and he wasn't going to begrudge the man for having a moment with his younger nephew on his wedding. Whatever their differences may be, the Grandmaster looked like he needed to hold onto Lan Zhan or he would faint. Wei Wuxian let them have their moment before Jiang Cheng reminded them that they needed to hurry.

It seems that the whole Cloud Recesses had come to see their Hanguang-Jun off as he was guided towards the sedan with Lan Qiren still gripping his nephew like he would disappear any moment. Lan Xichen had to pry his hands away so that Lan Wangji could enter the carriage.
Many junior disciples came down the mountain with the Jiangs, the elder Lans following close by.
Lan Xichen would be coming with them as he was Lan Wangji's brother; Lan Zhanshi following with the juniors.
As they reached the foot of the mountain, Lan Qiren suddenly came near Wei Wuxian- tapping his arm for attention. Wei Wuxian turned, question in his eyes when the Grandmaster gripped his arms almost desperately.

"Ah...Lan Xian Sheng?"
"Please, take care of Wangji..."

There was something in his eyes, something desperate and hopeful that kept Wei Wuxian from giving a snarky reply. Instead, he nodded resolutely and bowed.

As the Jiang entourage moved, Wei Wuxian turned back to take a last look at the Lans still standing there, waving at them and saw how Lan Qiren seemed to sway- looking like he was coming a bit closer to his rest with each step they took away from Cloud Recesses. He wondered how long the Grandmaster will live, hopefully long enough to see both of his nephews living happily- and maybe become a grandparent before his time here went by.

****************

A BIG THANKS TO MY FRIEND WeiWeiWei_95 FOR THE ART! THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN! 🥰
Wei Wuxian's look will be out in the next chapter. Along with Lan Zhan's look with veil.

Sorry for any errors. This is the first time I have added so much media and I am frustrated with the amount of back and forth I had to do. I won't be editing this chapter again.

◇》Just to clarify in case someone is confused:
心肝 Xīngān : darling, deary
Zhiji: soulmate

Also, I just confirmed. Mo Xuanyu's family never saw the adult Mo Xuanyu so when he came back, always hiding his face behind the mask and white make-up, no one questioned the newly resurrected Wei Wuxian's clean face. They all thought it was Mo Xuanyu who has a growth spurt and nothing more. He went Jinlintai when he was thirteen so probably after two- three years of the Burial Mounds siege.
But the cultivation world knew Wei Wuxian, they remembered his face ( if only a bit, combined with the fact that he drew Suibian) and that was why they saw Wei Wuxian and not Mo Xuanyu.
I made a few things up, like the marital ribbon. So please don't think it's actually a thing.

*》 In some cultures people release lantern into the water bodies, rivers usually as they flow, to guide the lost spirits and help them find their way to either another plane or to rest.
This is NOT from ancient Chinese culture (not that I know of).
Please just roll with it.

♤》In the novel, (as I got to know from the Internet) Jiang Cheng is a bit bitter and doesn't accept his brother ever. Like the bridge between them grows bigger after the Guanyin Temple incident. They DO NOT RECONCILE.
Same in CQL. Though there's a bit of difference in there ( as per my observation)- in the last scene, when Jiang Wanyin gives ChenQing to Wei Wuxian, you can see him smiling, like he was happy to see his brother in his element. And them when Jin Ling asks him if Wei Wuxian went away already, there's no heat behind Jiang Cheng's words; moreover he looks kind of sad but content. Like he is happy with what he has and wishes well for Wei Wuxian.
So I have taken the meander route here. In my story, Jiang Cheng changes for good and learns to distinguish between right and wrong, to forgive and be forgiven- together with his shixiong. He still has issues, as can be seen from his slight opinion about Wen Ning, but one cannot expect him to just flip. That would be stupid and not at all in character. Even in real life, such emotions take years to resolve themselves and they just started.
IMPORTANT:
♧》There are many things, events, customs which have been kept loose or made entirely out of my imagination so as not to offend anyone.
I do not have extensive knowledge about Chinese culture or its traditions, neither do I have time to search it up. Also, I really don't trust Internet much when it comes to culture (speaking from experience) so I hope you can understand my hesitation in mentioning much.
I keep the setting open just for that.

♤********⚜️********♤

Last written: 2-23 May, 2022
Last edited: 21-22, 23 May, 2022; 29 May, 2022
Published: 29 May, 2022

At this point I feel like each of my chapter titles are a book title.....😓😅

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.5K 3.3K 41
"It's okay if you don't accept my feeling. It's okay if you hate me, But please, please stay by my side so I can protect you, guard you from being hu...
1.1M 49.2K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
15.2K 827 20
"I can't accept you wei ying I love su dagi ....I just can't " wangji " don't worry lan zhan I will leave you soon ..... just after my delivery " y...
172K 8.8K 41
*He's waited 13 years now for his love, playing inquiry everyday for 13 years- waiting for someone who will never return.* The ice cold Han-Guang Jun...