where the thorns grow

By nyxiekitsune

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE IS INVITED STRAIGHT INTO THE HEART OF YOUR HOUSE? Seven years ago, R... More

where the thorns grow
CHAPTER ONE,
CHAPTER THREE,
CHAPTER FOUR,
CHAPTER FIVE,
CHAPTER SIX,
CHAPTER SEVEN,
CHAPTER EIGHT,
CHAPTER NINE,
CHAPTER TEN,
CHAPTER ELEVEN,
CHAPTER TWELVE,
CHAPTER THIRTEEN,
CHAPTER FOURTEEN,
CHAPTER FIFTEEN,
CHAPTER SIXTEEN,
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN,
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN,
CHAPTER NINETEEN,
CHAPTER TWENTY,
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE,
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE,
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR,
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE,
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX,
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN,
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT,
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE,
CHAPTER THIRTY,
AUTHOR'S NOTE

CHAPTER TWO,

200 30 0
By nyxiekitsune

CHAPTER TWO | WHERE THE THORNS GROW

  THERE WERE MANY things that Rhysa Jiang liked: her fan blades, rubies with silver on jewellery, her fellow Iron Wolves (most usually), Ryan's impeccable taste in food... but most definitely not welcome wagons, even if the person they were receiving seemed to be the pinnacle of human kind.

  Constanza Castrillo was polite. She smiled. She curtsied. She lowered her head shyly.

  She was, in Rhys' opinion, boring.

  But who was she to judge? This girl was Danna and Io's proteges, both very interesting people if she was to say so herself. Perhaps she had hidden depth. Or perhaps Danna and Io liked her because she balanced out their attitude problems.

  That might be it.

  But now she was just getting off track.

  Constanza had bushy brown hair, skin a medium shade of copper and bright eyes. She did not have the look of a jaded spy because she wasn't one. She still looked and felt like she was in the first brush of youth—which she was—but comparing her to, say, Io, who was around the same age, the two could not be any more different.

  The point was, Constanza looked and was a fish out of water in this crowd. And Rhys did not want to waste precious time she could be using to figure out something more important—like how she could avoid any social events when the Meliqueans come—showing her around the palace, when one or two people could very well do it themselves.

  Besides her, Dominic seemed to disagree. He combed back his ink black hair, shooting her a glance. "Wipe that constipated expression off your face."

  "Yours first. Oh wait, totally forgot, yours is permanent, Lang."

  "You break my heart, Jiang. Thought you loved my face." He was, well, practically her brother, but she'd also be one of the first people to admit that he was extraordinarily handsome. But he was already conceited enough without having to know that piece of knowledge, though she was pretty sure he was aware of it anyways.

  "Well," she replied tartly, "you're delusional. Not that that's new to either of us. I've known that since the moment I met you around six years ago. Only reason I tolerate you is because you somehow gain sense during missions."

  "Is that it? Or maybe you and I have the same jianshi?'

  She raised and wiggled one finger in the air. "Do not compare me to you. Just do not do that. We're on completely different levels."

  "Didn't stop Zhang daren from assigning us as partners."

  "It's for balance, Dom. Balancing the dumbest one with one of the more capable ones. Bang ni ti ti zhi shuang." Raising your competence. She was being petty. Her arguments made no sense. But it rarely did in their daily bickering matches.

  Ahead of them, Asteria turned, one brow arched. "You two done arguing?"

  Dominic chuckled and replied, "Never, my dear lady."

  Asteria eyed them both—Rhys' impatient stance and Dom's wandering eyes. She said, "You know, we have it handled here. If you want to, you can leave. The daren already left."

  Rhys glanced around. He had. She hadn't noticed. Clumsy of her, but she had been distracted. She quickly bopped a curtsy of gratefulness. "Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Asteria. You're a bloody saint. Tell the prince and princess that I've excused myself whenever they're in a slightly better mood."

  "I'm not sure I want to be a bloody saint," Asteria murmured, "but you're welcome, Rhys. Dom?"

  "Leaving too, thank you." He grinned. "We have some things to do."

  "Your work is appreciated. Now go before it's too late."

  They both scrambled off. Once they were out of earshot, Dom whispered, "Constanza's a bit less fun than I thought, considering all the praises Danna sang about her."

  She agreed. But because she refused to agree with him, she shot back, "She's a spy. If she looks interesting at first glance then she probably isn't that good of one. Use your brain."

  "You're just disagreeing with me for the sake of it. I can tell you agree. I saw your face during that entire period for Hongyun's sake."

  She just glowered at him. She hated how easily he read her. For some reason she could never do so as accurately to him. It was infuriating on every level. And somehow, she was the more mysterious one out of them both. She was the one hiding dark demons and shadows and the like while his background was cleaner than the fucking day sky.

  "See?" he smirked. "I'm right. As always."

  She just shut her eyes and shook her head, too tired to argue with him any further. Because she did need to find a way to avoid the Meliqueans without anyone noticing. Which would be difficult, because as the only female Iron Wolf, all eyes were on her.

  Usually she was fine with it, but there was attention from certain individuals even she did not want to attract. Mainly because they'd most likely end with a knife in her back.

  Deserters pay in blood, after all.

And I didn't just desert, did I? I betrayed. I joined up with the enemy. Though I supposed this was the side I was always supposed to be on.

  She was Saian. Her parents had been Saian. She'd always been Saian. Sometimes her friends looked at her and wondered about her heritage and she'd always kept quiet, telling them she didn't know. That they'd taken her when she was young. That she didn't remember.

  She remembered.

  In all these years her friends hunted and searched for Cuckoos and Meliqueans within their own ranks, they never turned to her.

  She wasn't idiotic enough to take that all for granted. When either side discovers the truth—Saian or Meliquean—her life would be forfeit. This fragile illusion she'd spent years building up for herself could be shattered in a split second. Every second, every moment had to count.

  He said, "You have something on your mind."

  Instinctively she replied, "Unlike you, who never has anything in your head at any given time."

  "That can't be true, if we manage to work together." But his expression held no humour. "Spill, Rhys. You seem rather... unsettled by the prospect of the Meliqueans being here."

  "Oh, like you want them to be here?" she retorted.

  "No, of course not," he said, shaking his head. "But you seem... scared. You know they won't be able to actually do anything, right? Irina's just a pessimist, and, well, she's angry. Practically spitting tacks. She's taking out her rage where she can and we're letting her because you can't have a public royal wedding if the bride decides to do something drastic."

  Rhys rubbed her forehead. "She always used to be the one who's logical in these kinds of situations, weighing the advantages and disadvantages and making sacrifices when necessary. This is extreme, even for her."

  Dominic mused, much more quietly now, "She's good at doing this kind of thing when the person who has to make the sacrifice isn't her. She's a genuinely good person, she really is. But she's selfish. It comes with being a royal. She'd had a rocky start to life but the comfort, the riches, it sinks in after a while."

  "Well," Rhys said, "I hope she calms down soon. We can't risk any kind of... erratic behaviour from her. And we need her. She's our leader, for fuck's sake."

  "She knows. She just thinks she can afford to be a bit difficult right now. She's not an immature person, just give her some time and space. Also, you're not answering my question."

  "I don't want them here." That was the truth. 'This is my safe sanctuary. I don't want them to come in here and ruin the little safety I feel in this fucking world, Dom. You get that, don't you? You, you still have your parents' home. Me, this is the only place I have." She rubbed her forehead. "I just..."

  "It's not like they're getting invited into the Wolves headquarters."

  "They'll be prancing around for weeks. Weeks. We'll have to face these people who'd be watching us for weakness at any given second, who we've been fighting against for the past few years. Does it not feel strange to you?"

  "Is there anything we could do about it?" came Dom's reply. "We're just agents. We're not the people up there."

  "If they're going to be here anyways, I'd prefer not having to face them. Set me on something else. Let me be away from the Palace for the duration of their visit."

  "Miss Irina's engagement party?" Dom asked incredulously.

  "If it comes down to that," Rhys said, "yes. I don't necessarily want to be there for her day-long temper tantrum that probably will occur right before then either." That's when it struck her that she wasn't the only one who had to get out. Ronan too. Ronan especially.

  Her, he might spare. Ronan, he would not.

  "You're the only female Iron Wolf and probably one of, if not the most well-known among all of us. You're the Briar. You'll have to be there."

  "And you are the Notus. You once beat three Falcons in hand-to-hand combat at once—"

  "—one was heavily wounded, the other's power was mainly passive and the third one was an idiot, does not count as an amazing feat—"

  "—and you're conventionally attractive," she deadpanned. "Half the girls in court would sell their soul to catch your eye. And you know what, it's not even just at court. Your reputation is just as international as mine." They were the golden boy and girl of the Iron Wolves.

  She had to be there. There was no way out, she realised. She just had to pray she didn't get recognised. Masks on at all times, probably, and keep her distance relatively far away from them. Her powers shouldn't be an issue—she'd hid a majority of it after coming here, only using the telekinesis part. Her friends had been futilely trying to grasp her powers to no avail, finally deciding that she might just be an anomaly in the grand scheme of things. She  wasn't. They'd just never seen her use her full set of abilities.

  Too risky. A Saian female wiccai who controlled red mist-like substances was already a bit too close to Rosalind Yang for comfort. She was honestly surprised they hadn't connected all the dots yet, though they probably thought she was dead.

  If things would stay that way, all would be well and wonderful.

  Dom's hand flew to his chest. "You just called me handsome. I'm touched, Rhys."

  Her eyes rolled to the back of her head. "Baichi."

  "Calling me an idiot does not change the fact that you just called me handsome, Rhys."

  "So?" she asked. "It requires personality and looks to be truly attractive, Dominic Lang. You're lacking one."

  "No, I think you're just jealous of me," he grinned. "Are you?"

  "Of a twenty-four year old who acts like a ten year old child on the daily, who primps and preens like a goddamned peacock, strutting around the palace? Yes, Dom, I'm totally jealous of you. I'm insanely jealous of you. Brain-numbingly jealous, I can't even function with the amount of envy I feel. My face is practically green, Dom, and I shake with rage every time I see you because I can't be like—"

  He raised a hand, cutting her off. "Okay. That's laying it on a tiny bit too thick."

  Rhys shot him daggers with her eyes. "You think?"

  "Yes, despite popular assumptions—mainly by you anyways—I do actually, you see, think. It's why I'm one of Zhang daren's favourites."

  Rhys' lips quirked upwards. "In your dreams, Lang Jun."

  "Oh, it's the truth, Yaning. I'm easily shifu's favourite."

  "You with your lack of aim with a pistol?"

  "Me," he said, "with my complete control over my powers and my excellent aim with throwing knives, not to forget my skill with the sword." There it was. Because Rhys always had to hold back, her powers always seemed unstable to the others, as if she'd lose control at any given second. Something some of the other Wolves, usually jokingly, liked to throw in her face. It took all her willpower to not showcase her full abilities sometimes. But it wasn't some kind of secret she kept just for fun. It was the difference between life and death.

  She would not risk discoveration and possibly die because of her lack of self-restraint and wish to show off. She was not that awful or stupid or idiotic.

  Instead, she summoned a small ball of red energy, enough to hurt but not enough to injure, and threw it at Dom before the man could even react. He let out a small hiss of pain as the blow made impact. "Fucking hell, Rhys, has anyone ever told you that violence is not the answer?"

  "If it gets you to shut up, even only temporarily, it is the answer." She raised her chin. "You're a pest and a nuisance, Lang Jun."

  "And you, Jiang Yaning, are a menace."

  "I'll take that as a compliment." She gave him two pats on the head, muffling his hair. He absolutely hated it when she did that, probably because it reminded him that the two of them were nearly the same height, while Dom usually towered over most females in Sai.

(It was, according to her friends, one bit of evidence that her heritage might not be completely Saian, or Saian at all. After all, some Cheonuangians and Asayamans and even Kon Rians looked a bit Saian. Or she could have some other blood. Justine was half-Epimurean, but she looked like a pure Saian as well.)

  "Gods," he wheezed, quickly swatting away her hand and checking his bun. "You have any idea how long this bun takes?"

  "Just don't wear it in one, then. Do it half up."

  "Still takes a bloody bun, Rhys. A slightly smaller one, but still a bun."

  Rhys eyed him. "You never wear your hair long. But you don't cut it like some of the more... trendy lords do either. It's really old fashioned, you know."

  "It's more convenient. I don't see you wearing an army of hair accessories."

  She tilted her head. "Touche." They were generally allowed to break a rule of convention here and there. Who dared to tell them they were wrong anyways?

  They'd reached headquarters again. She said, "I'm going to see Ronan. Convince him to snap out of this random rivalry with Lu Yi and grow up."

  "Yeah," Dom snorted. "You have fun with that. Me, I'll be resting in my room. Come if you need me."

  "I won't," she said tartly. "You have fun doing whatever."

  He rolled his eyes, then stopped. "Oh, right, we're all on tonight, yeah?"

  "Same place, same time."

  He nodded. "Sounds good. I'll see you then."

  "YOU DID NOT come to tell me to stop arguing with that little piece of shit, did you?" Ronan questioned, one brow raised, arms crossed, leaning against a table. "If you did, Jiang Yaning, I'll throw a knife at you."

  "That's only half the reason," she reassured, "we have one more pressing matter to deal with first."

  They both instantly sobered. Ronan swallowed and his eyes shut for a moment. "Right. The Falcons." He glanced around, ensuring all the doors and windows were closed and that no one was close enough to eavesdrop. "Any luck getting us both out of the palace during that duration?"

  She shook her head. "Unless we get a really important case and two sets of Wolves are sent off..." They were all grouped into duos who worked together for most of their career unless something unexpected occurred. "Otherwise, there's no chance. Especially for me."

  "I don't suppose we could just tell them."

  "Tell them what? Oh, we were both Falcons who deserted? It doesn't matter how long we've been here. For all they know this could be some elaborate scheme to get people into their inner circle. It's way too risky."

  "He'll recognise you."

  "We're allowed to wear masks," Rhys argued, "and he hasn't seen me for six years. He might  not actually recognise me anymore, you know. Or even remember me."

  "You really believe that? And if you are," Ronan tilted his head, a small lock of black hair falling before his eyes, blocking his vision, "are you really going to risk it?"

  "No."

  "We need a new plan."

  "But what? We don't have much time left, we need something we can rely on. I can't go back. If he does remember me that's what he's going to make me do. I can't do it. I've known freedom for too long. I can't go back into a cage."

  Very slowly, Ronan said, "If he finds me, he'll kill me. Or use me to get you. Jie, we still have time. It's a month until the engagement party. If it really comes down to it we'll tell Zhang shifu. He's smart. He can find us a way to get out of this."

  "He's the Captain of the Iron Wolves. He will tell the Emperor and the Duke of Shui Xiang. What then? They won't dare use us any longer. Even in the best scenario, if we're not arrested, that's it. We'll still be kicked out of the Palace. Irina won't save us. Ryan knows it's futile. And if we're casted out we lose the only bit of protection we have. We'll be hunted down like rabbits." Time was ticking.

  Ronan glanced around his small set of apartments. "Well, fuck."

  Rhys continued, "I'm worried. I really am worried. If we're discovered all the Iron Wolves will be put under suspicion. So many assignments will be hindered and if the Meliqueans use this chance to restart the war—" she stopped, because Ronan had engulfed her in a hug. When they'd first met he'd been a scrawny scrap of a boy, only thirteen. In the years that followed he'd slowly grown into the young man that stood before her.

  He whispered, "Jie, mei shi de. Ni yao xiang xing. Wo men hui xiang dao ban fa de." Sister, it'll be fine. You need to have faith. We will find a way out of this.

  "I hope so," she told him, barely able to stop herself from shaking. "I really hope so, Ronan. I'm not ready to go."

  "I'm not either." He pulled back, swallowing and meeting her eye. For a few years it had been the two of them, man tian guo hai. They hid their secrets from the skies and the seas, living in fear on the daily. They had no other choice. Only the Iron Wolves could provide them the protection they needed, but they had to hide their true identities as well. Rhys swore she saw a bit of tear forming in his eye, but he wiped it away.

  She asked, trying to lighten the mood, "Same place and time tonight, yeah?"

  He nodded. "I'll see you guys there."

  "Don't be late again," she gave him a tap on the cheek. "Xiao sha gua."

  "I'm not an idiot, you are." He flashed a quick grin but it didn't reach his eye. "You have anything to do for the rest of the afternoon?"

  Rhys made a face. "Paperwork from my last assignment. I'll be trapped in my room the entire day."

  "Boring. Have fun with that, as much fun as you could anyways. Go to the theatre if you want, there's a production there in an hour."

  "Ah, yes, work on highly classified documents in the semi-public theatre. Sounds like an excellent idea. Thank you for the suggestion, Ronan."

  He made a face. "I'm trying to help, you know."

  "Well, your suggestions are shit." Not necessarily surprising. Cou xiao zi, she thought. But he was young, he'll learn. Eventually. Boys tended to mature slower, she'd realised, with only a few notable exceptions. Ryan was one. Ryan was a pleasant person to be around.

   For starters, he used his brain. Secondly, he thought before he talked. Maybe a bit too much sometimes. He ought to talk more, future emperor and all, especially if Irina's leaving soon. Or maybe it's because of Irina's presence that he doesn't feel the need to speak so much. Maybe that was it. His cousin said it all for him.

   "Yeah, but I'm trying, and isn't that what it counts?" he stretched his arms, yawning slightly. "I promised A'jin I'll go look for evidence on his case with him later."

  Rhys raised a brow. "Why isn't he going with Evans?"

  "Evans is talking to the new arrival." He tilted his head. "You met him yet?"

  Good humouredly, she replied, "Shifu tends to leave meeting me and Dom for last. Legends and all, you know."

  "Narcissist."

  "Just a realist." She grinned. "I'll see you tonight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 377 33
A PLOT, A COUNTESS AND AN HEIR Myrina Mai, Countess of Li Han, is in trouble. With her close friend and confidante Princess Irina now married in anot...
106K 3.7K 28
An Azriel Fanfiction. (Azriel × OC) Daggerheart should have always remained in the dark - the shadow you see out of the corner of your eye - gone b...
7.8K 314 35
(Tw- Murder, death, etc.) ✿"Have you seen a girl who is named (Y/n) that has (H/c), (E/c) and has a little bit of a red stripe in her hair?" "You mea...
2.4K 77 60
(UNDER EXTREME CONSTRUCTION AND EDITING. I will let you know which chapters are updated and edited as I go, I will also be combining some chapters to...