Love, Claudia (BWWM)

By JasmynTailor

Written in my heart are songs of love, depth, genuinely immaculate love. But I have no words to speak, I find... More

Welcome
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
From River to Claudia

Chapter Three

1.3K 107 89
By JasmynTailor

Gethsemane.

A Christian cafe by day and lounge by night that hosted Christian entertainment nights, poetry slams, Bible study, and occasionally, knitting nights.

River's best friend since childhood Diego owned it.

He too was a dunce, a fool living for the indignant deeds of his flesh.

Until his fault almost cost River his life.

Their fault, as River constantly reminded him.

Why Gethsemane?

Gethsemane was important because, at Gethsemane, Jesus chose death, and today at Gethsemane, the followers of Christ choose to die to themselves and live for the sake of Christ. Forever honoring His choice and His death that saved them.

Diego was a changed man. Made new around the same time River was.

And since then, he vowed his life to God and His purpose. Which led to opening Gethsemane to help people like him find life through the suffering and sacrifice of Christ.

Today was no different, River sat, listened, and somewhat helped Diego teach the students in his Kids for Christ ministry.

"Young sunflowers need the sun, they move their blooms to always face the sun over the course of the day. How can we learn from a flower?"

Diego asked the children and watched their hands raise.

River sat silently, watching his best friend work wonders.

The children were always amazed by his explanations of Christ.

"Sarah?"

Diego pointed at a young girl with two puffs and prominent brown skin.

She smiled, showing two missing front teeth.

"W-we can do like them! When we don't, uh, don't see Jesus no more, we can look for Him. B-because you said He is always around, no matter what!" She took her time explaining her answer with a joyful shriek.

River and Diego chuckled at her enthusiasm, and River admired the way Diego had a way with children.

He wasn't 'gifted' in that way. But he liked them a little.

"I tell you, Sarah. You've been listening well! We should always look to find Jesus, but if we are near Him, reading or listening to His Word, holding it in our heart, and being honest with Him, we don't have to look far."

Diego handed out pages for their upcoming lesson to each child, River helped as he could.

"Now, I want you all to take a good look at next week's lesson and if you can, read your verses, listen if you don't know how to read, or better yet, ask your parents if they can read them to you. God wants us all to know Him and be saved, that means moms and dads too."

"If they don't want to read to you, don't be upset with them. Remember to pray as Jesus prayed and in God's time, your parents will read to you."

Diego bowed his head and the children followed his lead.

Diego eyed River and mouthed, 'Would you like to pray?'

River almost rolled his eyes.

Diego had a way of putting him on the spot, always asking him to do things last minute. He was spontaneous in that way.

However, River wasn't, but he appreciated the fact that Diego never doubted that he could do things, he never gave up or allowed a mediocre excuse. He needed the pushes Diego gave him.

He was a true friend.

So, River nodded and bowed his head.

"Dear God, we thank You for giving us this time to understand Your Word. We thank You for giving Diego this gift of teaching, for his kindness to the students, and faithfulness to You. We ask that You touch the hearts of those around who don't know You, but as the Sunflowers do in their youth, they need to seek You to grow and live. Thank You for keeping us through the week and never giving up on us even when,"

Even when I didn't deserve to live.

He cleared his throat. "I ask that You help us to be grateful for life and Your lovingkindness. We ask and thank You in the name of Jesus, Amen."

Diego lifted his head and clapped, the children followed suit.

"A mighty prayer by River, children don't forget to thank him for his help today and every week, he's been a great hand in helping God's Word grow within you."

River hated attention.

He wanted to wheel away, but the annoyingly adorable smiles on the children's faces made him stay.

"Thank you, Mr. River!"

"Boat!" A stray child yelled and giggled maniacally at his joke.

River chuckled at the strange child and wheeled around to pick up their mess.

One by one, the children left with their parents or guardians, and eventually, it was just River and Diego.

"I meant it, man. That prayer was mighty, I know you've been reading the Word and sitting with God,"

Diego smacked his shoulder with pride and grinned at his sorta staunch friend.

He was humble but also lowly in his mindset of who he was in Christ.

Diego wanted to drill the truth in God's Word in River's mind, to keep his mind on the fact that he was made new through Christ.

River waved his hand passively. "Don't praise me for that," He didn't need that getting to his head.

He was a cocky jerk before Christ. He was the cream of the crop. He only thought of himself. The world revolved around River Delgato.

The accident changed it all.

Christ changed it all.

"I'm just noting the growth, that's all," Diego said with his hands raised. "So, what're you doing the rest of the day?" He asked seconds later after eyeing the clock.

11:54 AM

"Noth-" River paused as he remembered his meeting with Cree at 1. "I'm meeting Cree at the Country Club," He sighed in annoyance.

The Country Club was the last place he wanted to be.

He was learning not to snarl at people for looking at him too long, and the people at the Country Club did just that.

He hated the place.

Diego furrowed his brows in confusion. "You, at the Country Club? Is there a new place in the city with that name?"

River shook his head. "No. Cree hasn't understood my hatred for that place just yet. He goes and is seen as a normal man, I go and I'm seen as a tattooed, half-man, handicap. They either stare or try doing things for me that make it seem like my arms don't work instead of my legs." He grumbled.

He hated the place.

"Hate is a strong word," Diego paused at the indifferent glare of River. "But, I don't understand your feelings, so I will just be quiet. I try to not jump at hating things, it was second nature before, but now I gotta fight against it. So I'm not judging you, just trying to make sure I don't fall into that mess,"

River waved his hand to hush his friend. "I know what you meant. I just don't have it together yet, I'm learning, and all the while, jack-jerks won't let me be. I tell you, I'd rather this life over the way I used to live, but I would love to tell all those simple-minded folks how to use their eyes." He knew that Diego always meant well, especially since he used to only be about Diego Granger, selfish just like River was.

It was the best thing to happen, being reformed with his best friend. There were no strange stares because of the sudden change and desire to leave all their crap behind.

Diego's growth progressed faster than River's. River had to climb mountains of faith with God when he was coming to terms with the fact that his life was forever altered. He was close to giving up, but with Miracle and Diego by his side, they encouraged him to believe in God and to live as he was graciously allowed.

"I pray it goes well this time, no one needs to be cursed out." Diego told him with a hopeful chuckle.

River simply nodded.

He needed all the prayer he could get.

-

"Come on, Claud. You're the one who wanted to come, so you can't drag your smelly feet,"

Isaac teased while pinching his nose.

Claudia stared at him dryly for a few seconds.

He stared at her.

'Stupid.'

She signed, making him laugh like a hyena.

'This man acts like a child.' She thought while trying to keep up her annoyed act.

It was short-lived.

A smile grew on her face and she took his hand.

'Let's go chuckles'' She signed with her free hand and pulled him towards the entrance of the Country Club.

Isaac allowed her to pull him, just glad to have his sweet little sister with him.

He, along with his sisters and father, was stupid for leaving her alone for nine months after their mother died.

It'd been four years and since then he took her out once a week to spend time together doing whatever she wanted.

She never took advantage of it, nor did she get upset with him for leaving her alone. She received him with open arms and never let go since.

He loved little Claudia Faith.

However, she was grown.

Twenty-two now. She wasn't little Claudia anymore.

Claudia poked Isaac's shoulder to bring him out of his weird staring trance.

He would sometimes look at her with a sad look in his eyes as if he was missing something, someone, he was nostalgic.

And since she was an emotional mess at times, she discouraged his nostalgic stares.

Her family voiced their feelings while watching her grow over the last four years.

They loved what they saw, but it truly scared them.

It scared her more.

She wasn't a girl. But not yet a woman.

A line she held to her heart sung by Britney Spears.

She was only twenty-two, still young, little Claudia as they called her.

'All I need is time, a moment that is mine while I'm in between.' The lyrics that followed were the unfortunate, but timely truth.

Something distinct had to happen to pull Claudia from her twenty-two-year-long adolescence.

She trusted God to handle it and walk with her through it, she only hoped it wouldn't be another tragic loss.

"Now you're staring like me," Isaac noted lightheartedly and tugged her hand. "Forget about whatever you're thinking of and let your amazingly handsome older brother, and only brother, take you on a phenomenal boat ride." He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and opened the entrance door for them.

As they walked in, Claudia's ever-curious eyes searched the Country Club for something interesting.

The place was somewhat boring, excluding their game room and seafood restaurant. They only served freshly caught sea creatures and Claudia spent most of her time enjoying the lovely feature of the costly Country Club.

'Nothing new,' Claudia sighed as her search came to an end.

She tugged Isaac's hand and signed, 'Can we get some food before we take the boat out?'

"Of course, my greedy little Claudia Faith," Isaac cooed and pinched her cheek for an added annoying effect.

Which worked, but it was clear that she loved their banter.

They were twelve years apart in age but got along well. While she and Eliah were five years apart but had a bit of awkwardness between them. They were distinct as night and day.

But they loved each other.

"Ahh, Isaac, Claudia, a blessed day for you to grace the Oakley Country Club, how is Mr. McCallister?" Pierre, the manager of the Country Club greeted the pair with a bright smile.

Claudia waved and signed, 'Hello, Mr. Pierre!'

He didn't know much sign language but understood enough to have small talk with Claudia. She appreciated his effort immensely.

"Pierre, we are all well by God's grace. I hope the Mrs. is doing well," Isaac said kindly. "We'd like a table near the marina, you know how Claudia loves the water," He winked and Pierre nodded.

"Of course, of course, come right this way. We've the finest table for our most loyal clients," Pierre knew which side his bread was buttered and he enjoyed serving the McCallisters.

David McCallister was extremely wealthy and he was attentive to the way his children were treated. He knew the unfair ways his daughters could be treated in comparison to his white-appearing son, so he made sure it was known that if he heard a murmur of agitation from his daughters, especially Claudia, he would pull out his investment in the Oakley Country Club, any place.

However, Pierre's kindness was genuine. He liked the McCallisters. David and Isabelle raised them right. They were respectful and welcoming to all people no matter their social status.

They were merely people who just so happened to be millionaires.

And he watched little Claudia grow up before his eyes.

He adored her in the simplest way.

"I will put in your regular order, Claudia. Steaming and delicious," Pierre told her once they were seated.

Claudia beamed. 'Thank you!' She signed and he walked away with a pep in his step.

Meanwhile, three tables away, River sat across from his friend, Cree, who was being a thorn in his side.

"I have to tell you, it isn't good to be irked by their stares. You've got to understand it comes with the territory of being a tatted man in a wheelchair. How do you handle it? By taking a deep breath and counting down from ten."

River was itching to wheel away without a word.

He was growing. He wouldn't do that.

Not now.

The right way was to talk it out and not knock Cree out for being a dummy.

"Cree. I'm gonna say this in a way you can understand." He said while trying not to curse. It was a hard battle. "Shut up. You didn't tell me to come to the club for this bull-, this topic." It was a hard battle for sure.

Cree's optimistic composure slightly diminished. "River, Riv-ster, you are right. I didn't tell you to come here for this, but I did come to tell you that I'm going away for a few months. A sabbatical, you know? I get so many clients and without a break, I can't help them as well as I could without a clouded mind." He explained. "I will be available to answer calls, I didn't lie, but I will not be in office for three or four months. I'm going to the Motherland," He said wiggling his brows. "Samoa,"

River nodded as he spoke, a break was well deserved.

"I understand. You can't help people if you're bogged down,"

Cree smiled gladly at his support. "Thanks, man. It's going to be the refresher needed to reboot this brilliant brain." He tapped his head.

River couldn't help but narrow his eyes at the weirdness of his friend.

"Anyhow, I need to get you in some therapy. I want something hands-on, maybe, working that mighty brain of yours. Maybe help Diego out a bit more at Gethsemane, help with knitting nights," Cree trailed off awaiting River's opposition, or agreement.

He was busy.

'What the-'

River questioned the actions of the same woman he saw yesterday.

She blew a kiss to the waiter after he put her plate down.

And she was sitting beside a man, who could've been her boyfriend or husband.

"I don't understand how some men could be okay with that," He murmured before he noticed.

Cree hummed. "Say that again? What we talking about?" He quizzed his furrowed brow friend.

River shook his head. "That woman, I delivered a painting to her yesterday and she blew me a kiss before I left. Now she's with a man and blew a kiss at the waiter," He explained still puzzled.

"Maybe she's just really sweet, some women are like that. And it would make a normal man kinda glad that a beautiful woman like her blew them a kiss, just saying," Cree pursed his lips and shrugged.

River rolled his eyes at his insinuation.

"I mean, if she blew me a kiss," Cree paused and swooned. "I'd be chipper for the rest of the week. You'd think you were blind instead of cripple, cause that woman is stunning," He added while eyeing the woman.

He almost got punched for his joke.

He had the worse sense of humor.

"Cree." River grumbled.

His eyes tore away from the woman and he looked at River, who was glaring at him.

"Yeah?"

"Shut your mouth before I shut it for you." River promised his idiotic friend.

Cree only smiled. "You didn't say she wasn't beautiful though, so I know your eyes still work and those legs of yours still don't."

River only stared at the fool dryly.

He wasn't blind.

The Lord knew he wasn't.

If this was before the accident, he would've taken advantage of the sweet girl and wooed her into bed.

He was not that man anymore.

He wasn't dumb either.

What could a beautiful bright-eyed woman want with a man like him?

Nothing.

He took this as a rightful punishment for his past. No woman wanted "half of a man" as he was ignorantly judged to be.

But still, his eyes wandered in the woman's direction and settled there for a moment.

She was smiling at the man beside her as he said something.

But as if she knew he was staring, she turned in his direction and waved as a look of realization struck her face, and her smile grew brighter.

River's traitor heart jumped at the gentle wave.

He didn't have the heart to ignore her.

He slowly waved and held her gaze until the man beside her said something that made her cheeks turn pink.

Nothing.

-

Author's Note

Hey!👋🏽 Hola!

How was this chapter? I wanted to introduce more characters to start explaining more, since this story didn't have a long description, please take note of the ways of the characters, main and side, and see if you can pick up on a few things.

I like Diego, he's a good character. And his face claim is handsome.

WHat else? I don't want to say much, I only want to know what you think of this chapter? What do you feel will happen next? How will River and Claudia become friends? How will they become more than friends?

Bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 691 41
*1st place in Young/New Adult category of The Heart Awards!!* Story 3 in the Beauty of God Series Ella has big dreams. So big that the small town tha...
165 48 34
(under editing, interested ones may reach out to me) In the symphony of love, their melodies intertwined, yet fate's chorus whispered no promise of f...
137K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
1K 44 35
All I cannot speak openly to others as in speech, I'm letting it out now on pages. It is named Open Book because for a long time I have been reserved...