Regency in Diagon Alley [Theo...

By Y_Allen

The Regency Era in the Muggle World is not much different from the Magical World when it came to the busy tim... More

Prologue
PART I
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
PART II
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirth-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
PART III
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
PART IV
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Epilogue
Thank You!

Chapter Twenty-Four

412 12 8
By Y_Allen

It was not her bedroom that Carina went to, she did not go into any rooms at all. Instead, she walked to the garden, specifically the maze. She has seen that garden numerous times from her bedroom window and has memorized the twists and turns of the maze to find the path leading to the center, and that was where she has gone. Into the maze with only Alcander and Oberon as company, and a bottle of whiskey. Walking through the tall hedges, focusing on the calculated turns of the path while cursing the two gentlemen in the drawing room.

She was not ignorant that putting Cedric and Theodore in one room would not end in disaster, she expected having to mediate between the two but what she did not expect was them talking about her – for her – while she was there. Thinking what was best for her. Yes, she has chosen to go here and take Theodore's offer of protection, but it was her choice after weighing the situation. She came here, to Danu, to seek refuge and to give her uncle time to clean London – and she did not mean the rats. She took Theodore's offer because she knew that she was safe in the Highlands, that he had control on his duchy, even when his own family wants them both dead. Coming here would also limit the number of people prodding into their situation. The lesser people know about the issue, the better.

Let Skeeter do her work of making their smoke and mirrors.

To keep the ton's attention on her match than the lust for her blood.

She expected more from them both, but it seems their ego and masculine pride has let down those expectations, as they saw her as nothing but a prized mare. It took everything in her power not to cast the Bombarda Spell at them and –

"Oof!"

Something ran into her. Looking down, she saw a boy, probably around eleven years old, with curly red hair, his face covered with freckles, eyes green as grass. He was covered in dirt – soil – and a few leaves and thorns were caught in his clothes and hair, and in the slightly burned tunic and trousers. A large gash at his cheek. Then there were his boots that looked like it has seen better days.

She has seen children in the grounds as Tamers have their homes and families here, but never in Nott Manor. Even when Theodore told her that the garden was free for everyone to use and see, none of the Tamers would come out of respect for the duke. They did not want to abuse his generosity too much, Bjorn told her, also because of rumors that the garden was haunted by the spirit of the former duchess. Most likely a rumor spread by Roman no doubt, to bring a little mischief and fun.

The boy cursed in Gaelic which Carina understood. When she was a child, she asked Roman to teach her all the curses in Gaelic, from the simple ones to the ones that would have given her grandmother a heart attack – if only Walburga understood the language. He looked up at her and immediately stepped back, bowed clumsily, and said in a thick Scottish accent, "Apologies, milady."

His eyes widened when he saw the half-consumed bottle of whiskey, seeing his gaze, Carina hid it behind her back and asked, "What's your name?"

He chuckled awkwardly, "My name is not important. I should get back to work. Good day!" He turned away from her and was about to take a step forward but stopped as he came across a crossroads.

Carina smiled and came to his side. "And what work would that be?"

"Uh... gardening!" He proudly said, facing her with his chest out. "I tend to the gardens!"

"You don't say..." she bit back an amused smile. "So, you're responsible for keeping the hedges polished."

"Yes!"

"And the flowers bloom."

"Yes, I-I tend to those."

"You must be very good at your job for the duke to hire you at such a young age," Carina bent down to be his height, her eyes looking at him lazily and mischievously.

"My mother said that I have a gift with speaking with the flowers."

"You don't say..."

He grinned at her. Carina reached for his elbow and plucked something from his sleeve. It was a thistle. "Well, gardener, it seems that you have fallen into the thistle bush while running – trying to find your way out of this hedge," she plucked another from his arm, this time it stuck on his skin, making the boy yelp.

The boy looked down, embarrassed, his face turning red and he tried to pull out the thistle – that he just realized – was caught at his leg. After taking it out, he was about to scratch it, but Carina caught his hand. "Don't, you'll only make hit worse. Come, there's a fountain at the center we could wash those wounds and see where else you have them."

"Yer not angry?" The boy asked.

She raised a brow. "Why would I? When I was your age, I gotten myself in loads of trouble myself. Believe it or not, at our first year at Hogwarts, Roman, the Duke, and I wandered in the Forbidden Forest and was chased by a dark faerie – an unseelie. That gotten our arses thrown in detention for months, and a Howler from my uncle." She then whispered to him. "And trust me, you'd rather choose to face an unseelie than a Howler."

The boy snorted a laugh. "I ken. I've gotten a few Howlers me-self... and they're not always as letter too."

Carina grinned; she gestured the boy to follow her as she led them through the faster route towards the center of the maze. "So, gardener, are you going to tell me your name?"

"Aye."

"And?"

"Tis Viktor, milady, with a k."

"Viktor with a k, not a very Scottish, if you ask me."

"Aye, and you milady?"

"You can call me Carina. And these two," she gestured to the chimera and puppy, "are Alcander and Oberon."

Viktor grinned, he sniffled and wiped his nose with the sleeve. "I ken Alcander, his Grace would always bring him to the Den – he's bonny. I always liked him, but the other children are afraid of him."

"Why is that?"

"Because Alcander's a chimera, and they eat human flesh too, like the Peruvian Vipertooths."

"Well, Alcander prefers his meat from a cow than humans, right boy?" Carina turned to the chimera, and the latter simply yawned as a response.

A couple of left turns later, they finally arrived at the center of the maze. It was a small space, the fountain placed against the hedge, the stone used to craft it looked like marble, the statue of a goddess holding out her hands was where the water would magically emerge and pour into the well. Unlike the statue of Danu in Clach Dhubh, the goddess here was dressed in Greek fashion, from the chiton to her accessories, and the hairstyle.

"That's the former duchess." Viktor spoke.

"I-I didn't know," Carina whispered, not sure if it was an answer or something for herself. She brought Viktor by the fountain and sat on the edge with the boy. Alcander and Oberon came to her side and started drinking from the well, the former wrapping its serpentine tail around the pup to keep it from falling over.

"Well, that's what Bjorn said." He shrugged.

Carina plucked a few more thistles from his clothes and skin. "What else did Bjorn say?"

"There was a story about them that the older Tamers would tell." Viktor pulled off his shirt and faced his back to her, showing a few more. Carina wondered how those got there but kept quiet and listened. Her silence urged Viktor to continue, "they said that the former duke first ruled Danu alone for fifty years. He remained unmarried. Then, one day, he up and left to travel – crossed the channel. He was gone for a year or two. They say it was not mortal lands he went to – ow!"

Carina apologized, she grabbed her handkerchief, dripped it in the well and cleaned his wounds. "If not mortal lands, where did he go?"

Viktor grinned. "Where else? To the other world, where faeries lived."

She pressed her lips together to stop a laugh that could offend the boy and hummed as a response and as a cue to let him continue.

"The duke wandered their lands, probably faces a few trouble, and then he found a faerie who fell in love, because when he returned he was married. They say that the duke loved the duchess so much that he made this garden after the one she had in her home and had someone make the fountain. They said that they ruled Danu fer years, creating the land as it was now. Then they had a son, his Grace."

"You make it sound like a bad thing," Carina mused. She pulled out her wand and sealed the wounds, making sure that no scar marked his skin, then with another spell she cleaned him up a bit. Fixed his clothes, his shoes, and removed the dirt.

Viktor shrugged. "We are thankful fer his Grace, but the elders said that, years after his birth, the duchess passed. Then the family remained closed from everyone, and then the duke died."

"So, it is a tragic story."

He shrugged again. "Anyway, they say that the duchess' ghost roams the maze, trying to find her way around, back into the Mannor, while she is being chased by the ghost of her husband."

She took in a breath. Roman did a good job of making a believable myth, she had to hand him that. "Considering that you are not a gardener," she poked his nose. Viktor grinned cheekily. "It is either you came here to help the duchess' ghost to find the duke or you're here because of a bet. Which is it?"

"Which one wouldn't land me arse with a paddle, milady?"

Carina laughed. "And I bet your friends are waiting for you at the other side, yes? Wanting proof that you indeed came across the duchess' ghost?"

He shrugged. "They say that if I drink from the fountain, I'll become a faerie too, but..." his gaze turned to Alcander and Oberon, both watching them with curious eyes.

Taking her wand, Carina used the Accio charm to summon something from her chambers. They waited for a while until a flash of white cross Viktor's face and landed on Carina's hand. It was a white glove. "Doesn't look ghostly to me, don't you think?" she asked. Before Viktor could ask what she meant, Carina tore the glove in a couple of places, startling the boy, then gave it to him. "Tell them, the duchess dropped this as she fled."

Viktor grinned. "Thank you, milady... can I have a drink of that?"

Carina took the bottle and placed it away from him. "You most certainly cannot."

"Just a wee sip."

"No." She used her magic to have it return inside the Manor, it disappeared from her hand with a popping sound. "You know, you don't look much like a Viktor."

"I get that a lot."

"Your parents are not Scottish, are they?"

He shrugged. "Dinnae ken."

"What do you mean?" her brows furrowed.

"I don't remember them that much, all I remember is living with the other children in the orphanage at Clach Dhubh. They just call me Viktor, so I guess tha's me name."

He's an orphan, Carina realized. Either he was a Muggleborn who was thrown out by his parents because of his magic making presence or his parents were just gone. She must have said it out loud or her face showed enough of her realization, because Viktor quickly added, "I don't mind, milady. The orphanage was nice."

"You no longer live there?"

"Nah, I started living here at the Den. Bjorn found me taming a beast in the city, guess he saw how strong I was and dragged me back here in the mountain. I liked the orphanage, but I like this place more. I have me own room here, there I had to share with the others. Also, I get two servings of dessert."

Carina reached out and brushed his hair back. "I'm glad to hear that. I'm an orphan too, you know."

"Ye are?" his eyes grew wide in shock.

"Yes. My parents died when I was young, I can't even remember their faces. I was raised by my uncle, and sometimes my grandmother. She's the one who would always give me a good paddling whenever I cause trouble."

Viktor grinned. "I was told that ladies do not cause trouble."

She gasped dramatically. "Just because we wear fancy dresses and drink tea with our pinkies up, doesn't mean we cannot enjoy a little mischief." She winked at him.

Viktor scootched closer to her, making Carina hum in amusement. "So, what name would you call me, milady?"

"You said your name is Viktor."

"Aye, but you said I don't look like a Viktor, so what would you call me."

"Well, other than that..." she took a good look at him. The freckles, the red hair, and the scent of smoke reminded her so much of a childhood friend of hers that was in Romania. "You look like a Charlie."

"Then you can call me Charlie, milady!"

"I don't think it works that way."

"From now on, only you can call me Charlie."

Carina laughed, almost falling into the well if she had not grasped on the edge. "All right, Charlie... but I still prefer to call you Viktor."

"Why?"

"Because that's your name, and it's starting to grow on me..."

Thunder hummed in the skies, looking up, the once clear blue was suddenly covered by dark and gray clouds threatening to let rain pour down. Alcander seems to notice it too as he lifted Oberon off the ground, perched the dog on his head, and started walking towards the path they came from earlier. He stopped only to wait for them.

"It seems it is going to rain." Carina rose from the well and held out her hand to Viktor.

"I can find my way back."

"Considering you ran into a thistle bush, means you don't. I suggest you come with me and take refuge in the Manor until the rain stops. After that, we could get you back to the Den – I'll just send word to them that your safe in the Manor... it would also give you more chance to hunt ghosts," she teased.

The last bit was enough to convince the child as he took her hand and walked at her side. By the time they were halfway through the maze, rain started to pour, and Carina summoned an umbrella to keep them dry. All four of them fitting the shelter, but Carina mostly had the umbrella placed over Viktor and Alcander and Oberon, leaving her slightly drenched by the rain. When they emerged from the maze, Roman came running towards them with an umbrella of his own and brought them in the shelter of the open hall of the manor.

"We've been looking for you!" Roman said. "Theodore said you stormed off to your room but when we checked you weren't there."

"And how is Theodore and Cedric? Still fighting like an old married couple?" she questioned.

"For a time, aye. But then Morgan gotten some sense into them and now they're quiet. Probably still looking for you. This is a big house you know."

"This is a house?" Viktor spoke.

Roman's eyes shifted to him, to her, to him, and back at her and asked, "There is a child here, right? I'm not imagining this."

"Yes, Roman. There is a child, he is not a ghost or your imagination." Carina patted Viktor's cheek, making him laugh. "His name's Viktor. He's one of the children in the Den. Now, Tell Theodore and Cedric to stop looking, and try to find some clothes for him to change to – maybe ask a few servants to help him bathe."

Viktor raised his arm and sniffed. "I don't smell that bad. Do I?"

Carina smiled. "Only to get you ready for tea later." She turned again to Roman. "I'll go to the drawing room after I change."

Roman saluted mockingly. "Will do, my Lady. Come along, lad, let's get you cleaned up." Taking Viktor's hand, Roman left to enter the manor, leaving Carina to venture to her own room where Rose was putting away some of her clothes in the armoire. She was slightly shocked to see Carina dripping wet, luckily the invisible servants were tending to the puddle now. How they do it, she had no idea nor did she want to know.

"Something a bit more comfortable, Rose," Carina asked. "Maybe skip the corset too."

"Maybe a bralette instead?"

"Yes." She sighed. "I don't have the patience to wear something fashionable now."

"You must be that tired to not be fashionable, my lady," Rose mused, helping her out of the dress.

"You have no idea."

~*~

Theodore was confused to find a child in his home wearing his old clothes. He knew the boy as he would always come across him in the Den but never knew his name. Though he found it quite embarrassing – and a damage to his pride– to ask, he did. Which earned a scoff from Cedric, but the man was chastised by his brother with a single look. The boy gave a simple answer of 'Viktor' and went on to eating the pastries that were presented on the table for tea. He had no interest on the hot beverage placed before him and simply gobbled every sweet thing present.

Roman was the only one who was smiling as they watched Viktor. "I like him," he said. "Let's keep him."

"He's not a pet, Roman," Theodore said.

Roman ignored him and went to speak to the boy. "So, how do you know Carina?"

Mouth full of cake, he replied, "We met in the maze."

"And what were you doing there? Hunting for ghosts I guess."

"There are no ghosts in the garden or in the Manor," Theodore massaged his temples. "Stop making up ghost stories to scare children, Roman."

"I wanted to drink from the fountain," Viktor shrugged. "They say whoever drinks from it turns to a faerie."

Roman snorted and turned to Theodore. "That is none of my doing."

"Obviously." Morgan chuckled. "Where did you get that idea, Viktor?"

"People talk," Viktor's eyes fell on Theodore. "They say it was blessed by a faerie."

"Nymph," Theodore corrected. "It was blessed by a nymph."

"Same thing."

"Not exactly."

The door to the room opened, the first to come in was a jumpy Oberon who ran straight to Viktor and jumped on his lap. The boy happily lets the puppy settle there and continued with his meal. Following Oberon was Alcander who was more poise and settled by the fire, and then Carina.

Theodore and Cedric stood at her presence, both about to pull out a chair for her at their side but the Marchioness went to the space beside Viktor – at the other end of the table, across Theodore – and sat down.

Her hair was let down on her shoulders, with half of it tied with a thin ribbon, and her dress was simpler than the one she wore earlier. The sudden change of her appearance had Viktor's eyes grow wide in shock, checking to see if it was the same woman he talked to earlier. But one look into her eyes and smile, he knew it was and offered her some of the remaining cake.

"You go ahead," she told him. "Have you sent word to the Den that Viktor will be staying here the night?"

"Yes," Theodore said. "Bjorn also said that he could stay as long as he likes."

"Can I stay forever then?" Viktor grinned, cheekily. "I do like the bath here. It's much bigger than the one at the Den, also the bed is really soft, I feel like lying on a cloud!"

Carina laughed. "If his Grace allows it. But, I doubt that you will be here long because I expect your Hogwarts letter will come before September."

"So, I'm going to Hogwarts then?"

"Do you want to?" Theodore asked.

Cedric's brows furrowed. "What do you mean? All children in Britain and Ireland are expected to go to Hogwarts."

"Aye, but others prefer to go to Durmstrang, especially those who wants to study Dragonology and Magizoology." Roman replied.

"So, do you want to, Viktor?" Theodore asked.

Viktor's eyes went to Carina and nodded. "Aye. I heard Hogwarts has Houses – I want to be Sorted to Gryffindor."

Roman snorted. "Of course, you do. Every child wants to be Gryffindor."

"I didn't," Theodore spoke.

"Neither did we," said the Diggorys.

"Well, most children do," Roman shrugged. "Until they realize Gryffindors are just arrogant bastards."

Carina raised a brow and a hand. "I'm a Gryffindor, Rome."

"Aye, and you were a prick in Hogwarts."

Carina rolled her eyes. "Don't listen to him, all Houses are all pricks."

"Especially Ravenclaws," Theodore mused.

Everyone agreed.

"Bloody snobs," Cedric chuckled. "I can't stand being in the same class as them."

"Wasn't Cho Chang a Ravenclaw?" Morgan spoke. "And didn't you court her."

"Miss Chang was one of the few Ravenclaws who did not live to that stereotype."

Roman smirked. "Nice save."

"Well," Viktor finished the cake and licked his fingers. Carina handed him her handkerchief to use. "I want to be sorted in Gryffindor."

"Because you're an arrogant prick?" Theodore raised a brow.

With magic, Carina had Roman's foot kick Theodore's shin. "OW!" Theodore jumped, then kicked Roman's shin. "THE HELL?!" Roman cried out and kicked him again.

"Would you stop it!" Theodore kicked back.

"You started it!"

"I did not! You did!"

Carina leaned down and whispered to Viktor, but she made sure everyone heard. "And those two are Slytherins. Quite easy to rile them up."

Viktor snickered. "And what about you two? I guess yer both Hufflepuffs, huh?" he turned to the brothers. The kicking contest finally ended between Theodore and Roman, and had to ice their shins.

"That's right," Morgan replied. "And the best part of being a Hufflepuff is that our common room is right beside the kitchen, unlike the other Houses."

"I must admit, the Ravenclaws got lucky with their common room. They have the best view." Said Cedric.

"Aye, but a bloody pain to climb all the way there and that eagle of theirs – you have to solve a riddle just to get in." Roman added.

"I don't see why the eagle is a problem." Said Theodore.

"Of course, you don't. You're a walking library," Carina countered. "And don't get me started in the Slytherin common room, it's located in the dungeons. Under the bloody lake."

Viktor's eyes sparkled in the idea of an underwater castle. "It is?"

"Aye. Good view. You'd get to see the giant squid and a few mermaids." Said Roman.

"Mermaids who would always make threats of killing us students," Theodore added. "Then there's the Gryffindor common room."

"What about it?" Carina asked.

"The most basic one of all. Doesn't have anything interesting other than the Fat Lady who gives you unsolicited shows with her godawful voice."

"At least it is warm there when we need it to be. From what I remember, is you two sneaking into the common room just to hog the blood fire because the rest of the Slytherins are also doing the same."

"We stopped doing that when we learned to use heating charms."

"You're all weird," Viktor spoke. "No, you're all like children, actually. Fighting about Houses."

"It's part of the tradition," said Roman.

Viktor shrugged and wiped his hands at Carina's handkerchief. "Can I be excused? Roman said that there's a haunted corridor here and I want to see."

Seeing this as an opportunity to speak to Carina privately, Theodore lets him and had Roman accompany him in his adventures. It did not take any convincing from Morgan to leave as the man decided to join them in their ghost hunting game. And it seems even the pets had the same idea as they joined the group. Alcander used his tail to shut the door after he left.

Alone in the room, Carina, Cedric, and Theodore remained quiet, waiting for someone to start. Neither of the men wanted to speak, knowing that if they opened their mouths it would end the same as it did earlier. Carina walking out. So, Carina decided to break the ice... with a battle axe.

"So, now you both won't speak."

Cedric cleared his throat. "We are sorry about earlier, Carina."

"Just so we're clear about certain things. I chose to come here for my safety. Theodore offered and I took it. If I stayed in London, the situation would get out of control. People will be suspicious to why I need so much guards, and from suspicion comes rumors, and rumors hold half-truths, which would reach the ears of many."

"I understand that."

Her gaze turned to Theodore. "You never said they could come here – my family, I mean."

"You're not a prisoner here, Carina. Your family can come whenever they wish. I told the Duke, the Earl, and the Viscount about it. But just as Diggory said, I am not well liked."

"Maybe that's what we need to change."

"I don't need people's acceptance."

"I know you don't care, but as a duke you should." She sighed. She turned to Cedric. "I know that things have been complicated..." she was fidgeting under the table. "And I know that Skeeter has made it seem like I have grown an attachment to the duke."

"But you do," Cedric said. "I'm not blind, Carina. I know there is something."

"Only because he is a dear friend to me." Liar. "We have been inseparable since we were in Hogwarts and I love him as much as I love Roman."

"There is still love."

"There are different kinds of love. The Greeks are very detailed about it too."

"And what is he to you?" Cedric moved to the place where Viktor was and took Carina's hands. "Because Carina, I love you. I love you – as a friend and also as... I want to be with you, but whenever I see you two, I feel like I'm the joke in the end of this story. The fool who doesn't see what is really happening."

"You're not a fool." Her hold on his hands tightened. She wasn't sure if it was to reassure him or was it her way to find the courage to say another lie... "My love for Theodore is... my Philtatos." She forced herself to not turn to him, to not look at Theodore as she felt his gaze at her. "He is a dear friend to me. You must understand, when we were in Hogwarts, it was the three of us – myself, Roman, Theodore... we were close, closer than friends, closer than siblings. They were my family when I was away from my uncle."

"He loves you – don't deny it—"

"But he won't marry me!" Her voice boomed in the room. Her hands trembling. "He can't because he knows that I need a husband who will join my family. Who will take my name... I need a consort. Not a duke. And I was willing to marry someone who did not have the same affection as you have for me last year, but now, I am so lucky to have you." She closed her eyes and rested her forehead on Cedric. "I thought I would have to live a loveless marriage, but with you I know I can have that."

Liar. Liar. Liar. Liar.

She could hear those words scorning her. It felt like she was being burned at the stake as each word, each lie that slipped out of her mouth felt so easy.

She hated it.

"Please, say something," she whispered. But she was not sure to who.

"I would have to take your name?" Cedric asked. She nodded. "If that what it takes to be with you, then I will gladly do it."

She let out a breath of relief or was it of sorrow. Either way, she smiled and did something she should not have. She placed a light kiss on corner of his lips. By the time she realized what she has done, it was too late, and she could feel Theodore's burning gaze on her. She could feel his heart in her hands, crushing it.

"After we deal with this," Cedric spoke. "Things will go back to how they were."

"Yes, they would," she barely whispered.

"And maybe I would have a ring to present to you by then."

Her heart tightened. "I'll be counting the days until then." She mustered up to say.

Cedric placed a kiss on her forehead and whispered. "I love you."

She hummed as a reply. She cannot say it back.

~*~

Cedric had to leave because of his duties, and joining him was Morgan and Roman, who had to return to the studio and finish his piece, leaving Viktor with Carina and Theodore. Dinner in Nott Manor was silent, but for Viktor who filled that silence with his stories of how he, Roman, and Morgan went to the creepy parts of the manor. Carina was thankful that he filled up this silent tension between her and Theodore, and hoped he could to so until they went to bed. Alas, the boy was already yawning by the time he finished his dessert, and Rose took it upon herself to see to it that he has changed, bathed, and tucked in bed.

Alone in the dining area, Carina drank glass after glass, after glass of wine. Until then her hands were trembling. She did not dare to look at Theodore as he stared into the open space, drinking his own wine. She thought the silence would go on, and hoped it would until they went to their respective beds, but to wish for it was too much.

"I suppose," Theodore started. "Congratulations is in order."

She closed her eyes, her hold on the wineglass tightening.

"It is not an official proposal, still. It is a promise..."

"Don't."

"Especially now you kissed him."

Clink!

Blood dripped down from her hand as the shard of the broken neck of the glass pierced her skin. Carina did not move, and Theodore cannot. Invisible hands held him down. It was the servants, he realized.

"Carina –"

"I said. Don't."

"Tell them to let me go. Your bleeding – your hurt." He tried to move his arms, but the hands kept him still. This has never happened before. They always and have only listened to him.

"I don't care..." her voice was a void. Unfeeling. "Is this how it felt when you had to hear me say those words?" her hold on the glass tightened, more blood flowed. "You must think me so hubris to even think...

"Worse than that," Theodore spoke.

"Tell me."

"Like a knife twisting into my heart so slowly, that the pain was excruciating... and even more when that knife is being wielded by you."

Carina closed her eyes, tears ran down her cheeks, just as blood flowed down her hand. "I'm sorry," she whispered, over and over.

"You have nothing to apologize for." He told her. "Carina, please –"

"I know that pain too well... and I never wanted to experience it again... and I don't know what was worse, lying to him just like that or doing all of that in front of you, knowing that you can't do anything."

"Carina, tell them to let me go! You're injured –"

The hands disappeared.

Theodore bolted from his seat, taking a clean napkin and took her hand, wrapping it around the wound. He opened the cloth again and saw how deep the glass went into her hand and it had a few shards still stuck inside. He used magic to remove them all, and then whispered incantations heal the flesh, sealing it close until what was left was a small scar.

"Even after I said all of that, you still care," she sobbed.

Theodore cleaned her hand of the blood and kissed her fingers. "I will always care." Tears streaming down his eyes as well.

"Why?"

"You know why..."

She shook her head. "For once. At least once, I want to hear you say it... please. Maybe if I do then I could stop whatever this is we have and I could love my future husband."

Theodore wrapped his arms around her, his face resting on her chest, and Carina held him tight. "I can't... because I'm afraid that is exactly what will happen. Because I am that selfish."

"And I am a liar. Worse than a liar."

~*~

Later that night, Carina lay awake in her bed, staring into the ceiling which littered with starts made by the device her cousin, Malia, gave her. It was a child's toy – a lamp in the shape of a dome and had a hole that created an illusion of stars when lit. She just stared at them as her mind went back to what happened earlier. She thought maybe the sight and counting the stars would help her sleep, but it did not. Not even the sound of the pouring rain did anything to lull her to sleep.

A knock broke her trance.

That too did not help her find the rest she desperately wanted.

Rising from the bed, she went to the door to see who it was –

It was Theodore.

Wearing only his trousers, the duke stood there with a hand holding a ball of light made by the Lumos charm. Hair all messed up like he has been twisting and turning in bed.

Without words, Carina walked back to her bed, leaving the door open. An invitation. She was already under her blanket when the door closed and locked; and she was already laying down when she felt the bed dipped and a warmth enveloped her body. Strong arms wrapped around her figure, pulling her closer.

They shouldn't be doing this.

This was not how a lady and a gentleman should act.

But who was there to tell them otherwise.

They were alone.

His hands found hers, the one that was injured by the glass. Theodore ran his thumb around the spot that had the wound, and traced hypnotizing circles.

She felt his breath on her neck, slightly tickling her, and he said, "Just for now, let us give in to our desires," quoting her from earlier that day.

Carina turned around to face him and wrapped her arms around him, her face pressed against the crook of his neck. "I would like that," she replied and closed her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.6K 609 52
"I told you. I'm here for the girl, not you. All you have to do is hand her over" the smile on the man's face only grew, causing the aura around the...
65.8K 1.3K 37
"love is heavy and light, bright and dark, hot and cold, sick and healthy, asleep and awake - its everything except what it is" theodore not x fem...
1.1M 34.4K 117
"A little mischief won't hurt..." A Black in Gryffindor was never good. And they're right. Carina Black's name isn't as famous as the Boy-Who-Lived...
111K 2.1K 34
As of anyone who knew of her, Veronica Thompson had a perfect life. Gorgeous looks, perfect marks, and a Triwizard Champion boyfriend. That was until...