Home Run to My Heart [The San...

By Twilight_Hime10

Katherine Smalls was twelve when she moved to San Fernando Valley with her father, stepmother, and younger st... More

Ch. 1 The Preface
Ch. 2 We wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood
Ch. 3 Is that a girl with him?
Ch. 5 We can tell when we don't belong
Ch. 6 The Market

Ch. 4 Let's Play Ball!

192 18 7
By Twilight_Hime10

Five minutes later, Katherine, Benny, and the rest of the boys arrived at the local sandlot. Benny lets go of Katherine's hand. He stares at the sandlot with excitement since he is enthusiastic about playing baseball with Katherine and her younger step-brother. 

" So, what do you think?" Benny asked. He turns to look at Katherine, expecting her answer. 

Katherine looked at her surroundings, finding the sandlot intriguing. 

" How long have you guys been playing baseball here?" Katherine asked. 

Benny and the boys looked at each other thoughtfully. 

" When did Benny and his family move here again?" Bertram asked. '

" I moved here when I was like ten. But, it was in December 1959," Benny remembered. 

" That's like five years ago!" Ham exclaimed while holding his hand in front of him. 

" Benny is about to be thirteen, you dunce!" Squints chastised. " So, it has almost been three years," He looks at Katherine. 

" That's cool. Okay, so who is going to be on my team?" Katherine asked, changing the subject. 

The boys, except Benny and Scotty, warily stared at one another since they didn't know who would be on Katherine's team. 

" Guys! Stop being scary cats," Benny annoyingly rolled his brown eyes. " I'll be on Kitty's team," He softly smiled while looking at Katherine. 

The boys, except for Scotty, looked at Benny in disbelief. 

" Boys! Huddle up!" Ham shouted, and the boys turned and ran off nearby to huddle up. 

Katherine amusingly shakes her head, watching the boys murmuring to each other. She looks away and turns her gaze to Benny and her younger step-brother. 

" Are they always been like this?" Katherine asked. 

Benny sighed, and he shook his head. " I think the guys are scared because I am now on your team," He looks at Katherine. 

Katherine raised an eyebrow. 

" Why are they scared that you are on my team?" Katherine asked. 

" Well," Benny rubbed the back of his neck, looking bashful. " I am considered the best baseball player in Burbank," He explained. 

" I see," Katherine nodded, curious to witness Benny playing baseball. 

" Can I-Can I be on your team?" Scotty looks at his older step-sister. 

Katherine looks at her younger step-brother. " Of course, you can be on my team!" She hugs him. 

Scotty blushes, looking embarrassed. He hugs his older step-sister, feeling glad that he will be on her team. The young boy only knows the sport's rules since he has never played it. 

" Now that we know the Jet and her kid brother will be on that girl's team. Who is going to be on my team?" Ham asked his friends, looking concerned. 

" I want to win. So, I will be on Kitty's team," Squints stepped away from the group and ran towards Katherine, Benny, and Scotty. 

Ham and the others watched Squints run. " Traitor!" Ham hisses, and he turns to look at the others. 

" Now, she has three members besides herself on her team. That means she only needs one more person," Kenny murmured. 

Ham's green eyes intently stared at his friends. 

" Yeah-Yeah! Since Squints and the Jet are already on her team, I will be on Kitty's team," Yeah-Yeah held his hands in surrender. " Good luck, boys!" He turns and runs towards Katherine, Benny, Scotty, and Squints. 

Ham frowned when he saw Yeah-Yeah go to stand next to Squints as they waited for them to discuss the rules. He looks away and turns, realizing that Bertram, Kenny, and the Timmons twins are now his teammates. 

" You guys ready?" Ham asked. 

" We are ready!" Timmy cheered. 

" We are ready!" Repeat cheered with his twin. 

" Let's try to have fun," Kenny gently pats Ham's back and walks with him, Bertram, and the Timmons twins to the others. 

" Alright. What are the rules for this game?" Benny asked while looking at the two captains—Katherine and Ham. 

" The rules for this game is that we will play up to 20 points," Ham speaks. 

Benny glanced at Katherine, wondering if she would agree with Ham's proposal.  

" Up to 20 points?" Katherine looks at Ham. 

Ham nodded. 

" Alright. If someone makes a Homerun, that is an automatic 5 points. Meanwhile, each player entering the home base is a single point," Katherine speaks. 

Benny glanced at Ham, giving his friend a look, wanting him to agree with Katherine's proposal. 

Ham noticed the look and shivered, finding Benny scary. He looked at Katherine and nodded. 

Katherine looked at Benny, and her blue eyes blinked when she saw him whistle innocently. 

" Alright! Let's play, Ball!" Squints shouts. 

" But, we haven't decided who is playing on the field and who is batting?" Katherine and Ham looked at Squints. 

" We can play in the field," Benny looks at Katherine and Ham. 

Scotty nervously stared at Benny and Katherine since he was scared of catching the baseball. 

" Okay," Katherine nodded. " Yeah-Yeah. Want to be our team's Catcher?" She looks at Yeah-Yeah. 

" Yeah-Yeah! I can do it," Yeah-Yeah nodded. 

" Great! I can be Pitcher. Benny, you'll be the short stopper and center fielder but stay close to second base, alright," Katherine looks at Benny. 

Benny nodded. He couldn't help but be impressed by Katherine's knowledge of baseball. 

" Squints. You'll be left field but stay close to third base. Meanwhile, Scotty, you'll be right field but stay close to first base," Katherine looks at Squints and her younger step-brother. 

" Okay," Scotty responded, looking nervous. Meanwhile, Squints gives Katherine a thumbs up, feeling excited to play baseball. 

" Who is going to bat first?" Timmy asked. 

" Who is going to bat first?" Repeat repeats. 

" Since I am Captain, I will bat first," Ham looks at his teammates. 

" Okay," Ham's teammates nodded. 

" Also, after three strikes, the teams will switch so that the other team can bat instead," Katherine turns to look at Ham. 

" Got it!" Ham nodded. 

" Alright! Let's play Ball!" Squints shouts. He turns and runs to the left-field near the third base. 

Benny amusingly chuckled. He looks at Katherine and softly smiles, giving her a thumbs-up of reassurance. 

" Come on, Smalls! I will show you where you have to stand," Benny turns to Scotty when he sees the younger male looking nervous. 

Katherine turned to her younger step-brother and motioned him to follow Benny. 

Scotty nodded. He turns and walks with Benny to the right-field near the first base. 

Katherine gives her younger step-brother a thumbs-up of reassurance. She watched Benny walk and stand in the center field near the second base. 

" Hey, Kitty!" Ham shouts. 

Katherine turns around and sees Ham holding a baseball in his grasp. 

" Here you go!" Ham throws the baseball to Katherine.

Katherine caught the baseball with the baseball glove that Benny gave her when they walked to the sandlot. 

Katherine watched Yeah-Yeah in Ham's Catcher uniform. He stood behind Ham and looked at her. 

Katherine's blue eyes intently stared at Yeah-Yeah's green eyes. 

" Ready," Yeah-Yeah mouth out. 

Katherine nodded. She took a step back and then threw the baseball at Yeah-Yeah, starting the game.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

418K 25K 84
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
1.3M 57.8K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
122K 5.1K 52
β₯β₯β₯ [BNHA x Fem!Reader] ❛❛𝔸𝕝𝕝 π•₯𝕙𝕖 π•£π•šπ•”π•™π•–π•€ 𝕓𝕒𝕓π•ͺ, π•Žπ• π•Ÿ'π•₯ π•žπ•–π•’π•Ÿ π•’π•Ÿπ•ͺπ•₯π•™π•šπ•Ÿπ•˜, 𝔸𝕝𝕝 π•₯𝕙𝕖 π•£π•šπ•”π•™π•–π•€ 𝕓𝕒𝕓π•ͺ...
285K 8.5K 93
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...