If I Stay✔️

By ShanLivx

BOOK 2 L E O Two years have passed for Leo and his siblings and yet his heart breaking secrets remain hidden... More

1
C H A R A C T E R S
P L A Y L I S T
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43 - Jalex
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80 - part one
80 - part two
80 - part three
81
82
83| I've got you, brother
84 | i can be your hero baby
85 | seventeen going under
86
87
88| everything i wanted
89
90
91
92
93
94 | part one
94| part two
95
96: part 1| ELEO
96: part 2| ELEO
97| January 25th.
Future Book Info
BONUS: Prom Night [1]

29

6.7K 235 107
By ShanLivx

"Leo is alive."

Relief was the first emotion felt, a long exhale escaping each of the boys. He's alive, he's okay, everything will be fine.

If only they knew how wrong they were.

"Did you hear that, Enz?" Emilio let out a watery chuckle, his cheeks damp from his over-pour of tears. "He's alive, he's going to be okay."

Rachel cast her eyes to the floor, cringing slightly at the boys words. Alive and okay we're two very different things. Leo was not okay, if he made it through the intense surgery he'd still have a lot of hurdles to jump.

Zac observed Rachel silently, his relief mild compared to that of his siblings. In a way he knew it was to good to be true. With good news it's almost always followed by the bad, because in this life nothing is free, everything comes with a price.

"How's he doing?" He turned to the blonde intern, his eyes trained to hers.

Rachel gulped audibly, her clammy hands gripping the edge of her scrubs tightly. "He's stable, but he's not out of the woods yet."

"Can you elaborate?" Callan interjected. He'd been watching Zac closely, he knew when his brother was suspicious of something. He'd seen that look in his eyes many times over the years.

"Leo arrested a further three times." She paused, her words causing everyone's joy and relief to plummet, multiple gasps filling the silent waiting room. "He had a secondary bleed on the brain, which is why the surgery is taking longer than it usually would for the type of injury Leo sustained. I'm sorry but that's the only news I have for now. Once the surgery is complete, Leo's doctor and consultants will come and speak with you regarding his other injuries as well." 

Zac frowned, running a hand over his stubble coated jaw, he nodded. "Okay, okay." He mumbled, pausing as his mind processed Rachel's words. "Other injuries?"

"Yes, I can't go into much detail. All I can tell you is that Leo has multiple abrasions on his skin, most of which are from the fall itself. He also has internal bleeding in his abdomen, which the doctors are currently trying to find the source of." She admitted with a look of sympathy. She didn't want to go into further detail in fears she'd make a mistake, she was simply shadowing the neurosurgeon, Leo's general surgeon would explain that further to Zac. "The head doctors will come speak with you when the surgery's over. I'm sorry but I have to get back."

Zac stood frozen, still processing the interns words. Internal bleeding? Secondary bleed? Multiple abrasions?

Seeing that Zac was in no state to respond, Callan turned to Rachel. "Thank you for keeping us informed."

"Of course." Rachel offered him a sad smile, her eyes glancing at Zac before she took her leave.

As Rachel left the waiting room Ace turned to Zac, his eyes filled with fear as blue locked to blue. "Zac... he'll be okay, won't he?" He asked, his voice pleading, desperate for reassurance.

His question snapped Zac from his thoughts, his frown vanishing as he took in his little brothers terrified expression. Moving to Ace, he knelt in-front of the younger boy, taking his hands in his own. "I don't know bambino, I hope so." He whispered, giving Ace's hands a gentle squeeze. "If anyone can get through this, it's Le." 

"But..." Ace lip began to tremble, his palms shaking in Zac's grip. "What if he isn't? What... what if he doesn't make it Zac? I-I can't, he-he can't—"

"Ace, hey." Zac cooed. "Look at me fratello," He gently moved a hand to his brothers jaw, tilting his chin. "Breathe, okay? Take a deep breath. I can't promise you that he'll be fine, because I don't know if he will be. Leo's strong, just like you are. So be strong for me, Ace. Be strong for Leo. We can't think the worst, not right now. We need to hope and pray with everything we've got that he'll make it."

Ace nodded slowly, pulling from Zac's grip he merely stared at his hands as the unease in his stomach intensified. With a sigh, Zac turned to his other siblings. "That goes for you guys too, I don't want bad thoughts, okay?"

With the mumble of agreements, Zac took the time to look at his siblings. Whilst Carter, Alex and Ace's eyes seemed to scream with defeat, and Jack's with terror, Callan's eyes were determined. Unlike the rest he said yes with conviction and in that moment, Zac couldn't help but wish he was more like Cal. He wished he could be the positivity that they needed, and god he was grateful, so fucking grateful to have such an amazing brother.

His eyes glanced to Lily and the twins, conflict burning in his temples. Should he wake them? Should he tell them the little-to-no news they'd only just received?

"Don't." Zac turned to Charlie in confusion, causing the younger man to offer him a gentle smile. "You're a lot easier to read than your brother." Charlie laughed lightly, it was strange how different Leo was to his siblings, he was a good different though. Charlie didn't think anything about Leo could be bad, he always put the needs of others ahead of himself. A trait that could not only be a blessing, but also a curse. "Don't wake them, not until you have better news, they need to rest. All of you do."

Zac nodded lightly, that same conflicting look in his gaze as he and Charlie locked gazes. "How was Leo's therapy going? Y'know... before this happened. Were there any signs, anything to suggest he might do this?" He asked in a hushed whisper.

Charlie sighed softly, turning his eyes to the ceiling, begging them not to water. "You know, I've been asking myself the same question." He blinked, shaking his head lightly, he brought his eyes back to Zac's. "I've been going over every therapy session, every word we shared and the truth is... I don't know."

'Trust is... hard for me.'

'Something happened... a friend' used my trust against me.'

Why didn't I stop him from leaving that day? Why didn't I push? Charlie shook his head, ridding himself of his own bitter thoughts, bitter memories.

Zac nodded, his face showing no signs of anger or disappointment. He knew Charlie cared for Leo, he knew he wouldn't miss a sign if Leo had given him one.

"As much as Leo and I have gotten closer, he's never fully opened up to me." Charlie admitted. "He's grown less hostile and actually engaged in conversation, but he's always been careful not to overshare."

"What do you mean by careful?"

Charlie ran a hand through his hair, contemplating how to word his next answer. There was only so much he could say without betraying Leo's trust. "He would say certain things but leave out the context of what he truly meant. Or he would wait until our session was nearly over, before sharing something he wanted me to know, then when I'd question him about the meaning behind his words, he'd brush it off completely."

"What would he say? The things you questioned him about... what were they?" Zac pressed.

Charlie sighed. "I can't share what we talk about with you, Zac. I'm sorry but I won't betray Leo's trust, our conversations are confidential."

"I understand that." Zac clicked his tongue, "But you're meant to tell me if you think he's at risk. Doesn't this prove that I should know?"

Zac wasn't trying to be difficult, he just wanted to understand what went on in Leo's mind. Sure, his words on the bridge gave him a small insight, but he needed to fill in the blanks.

"Zac, he didn't share anything with me that made me think he'd do this. If he had, I would've told you, you know that!" Charlie's voice rose a fraction.

He understood Zac's concern, but he didn't appreciate his actions. Charlie would never disclose information Leo had shared with him in confidence, no matter how much Zac pressed, Charlie's lips were sealed.

"I know." Zac sighed, running a stressed hand through his messy brunette curls. He turned to Charlie with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Char. I'm just worried, I shouldn't be pressuring you, that's not fair."

"It's not." Charlie agreed. "But I understand."

-

"Are you okay?"

Jack turned to Alex, his face feeling sticky from his previous tears. "I'm okay." He whispered in response, his voice so soft, so fragile, on the verge of breaking.

Alex gave him a look that just screamed bullshit. "C'mon." He stood from his seat, holding his hand out to the younger boy.

Jack stared at him, his eyebrows drawing together into a frown. "Where?" He asked, placing his clammy palm in Alex's cool one.

Alex gently pulled him to his feet, guiding them down one of the many corridors. "We need to wash your face," Their steps halted as Alex stopped at a wooden door, the small silver sign reading men's room. "And," He pushed the door open, pulling Jack inside before locking it behind them. "We need to talk."

Jack sighed, dropping Alex's hand he made his way to the ceramic sink. "There's nothing to talk about Alex. I told you, I'm okay." He repeated, twisting the tap before splashing some cool liquid on his crimson cheeks.

"Yeah, sure you are." Alex rolled his eyes, moving towards Jack he hoist himself onto the counter top, staring at the blonde with a raised brow. Alex knew Jack well enough to know he was not okay. "Spill, what's wrong? Is it because of Carter? Did he bring back... memories for you? Is that why you hit Cal? Is that why your..." He made a weird hand gesture that Jack surprisingly understood. "Like this, down?"

"I'm down because our brothers in surgery, Alex." Jack huffed, using a paper towel to dry his damp face. He threw the used paper in the trash before turning to the blue eyed boy.

"Bullshit. Of course your down about Leo, we all are. But this is different, isn't it? You can't lie to me Jack, I know you to well." Alex leaned back, bracing himself against the mirror.

"I... I don't know what's wrong." Jack admitted, removing his gaze from Alex, he stared at the metal tap whilst his hands gripped the sink tightly, "Carter was scaring me... but then—" He paused, unsure of how to word exactly what he felt.

"Then what? Take your time, I won't judge you Jack. And Cal doesn't care that you hit him, he's worried about you. I'm worried about you." Alex shuffled slightly to his left, placing his hand on top of Jack's, he brushed his thumb along the blondes knuckles. "Talk to me, please."

"I don't know how to explain it Ale." Jack admitted, biting his trembling lip, he lifted his eyes, blue meeting blue as their gazes locked. "I... I blacked out? I think... I don't understand it."

Alex frowned, "Blacked out... what do you mean? Explain to me how you felt."

"I just... I don't remember hitting Callan. I don't remember much after Carter started yelling... I don't know what's wrong with me." Jack whimpered, his teeth digging into his lip harshly to suppress his upcoming sob.

"Hey." Alex jumped down from the counter top, pulling Jack into his embrace. "There's nothing wrong with you, okay?" He stroked Jack's blonde locks, hugging him tighter as he began sobbing. "It's okay, everything's going to be okay. I've got you."

After ten solid minutes of tears, Jack finally managed to calm himself down. He could feel the heat rise to his cheeks as he pulled himself from Alex's hold. "Sorry." He mumbled, avoiding all forms of eye contact.

Just how many times would Alex have to see him break?

"Don't." Alex gently gripped Jack's chin between his thumb and forefinger, forcing the latter to meet his gaze. "Don't ever apologise for crying, you're allowed to cry." Alex paused, a small glint of mischief in his azure orbs. "I mean, I get it. Crying because Carter scared you? Carter of all people... Ace I'd understand, but Car's like an angry puppy. All bark no bite."

"Fuck you." Jack let out a watery chuckle, gently shoving Alex's shoulder with his palm.

"Ah, there's that smile I love to see." Alex wrapped an arm around Jack's shoulder. "How 'bout we get you cleaned up and then have a smoke? I don't know about you, but I need some fresh air."

"Yeah," Jack smiled softly. He couldn't believe how lucky he was to have someone like Alex in his life. "Me too."

-

"Mr. Lombardi."

Zac lifted his tired eyes to the unfamiliar caramel skinned doctor. "Yes?" He asked, quickly standing from his seat.

Please be okay.

"I'm Dr. Raymond, Leo's neurosurgeon." The middle aged man said, out stretching his hand to Zac. "You're his..."

Accepting the hand shake, "Dad, brother, guardian." Zac responded without a second of hesitation, ignoring the baffled look on the mans face. "Zac Lombardi, you can call me Zac."

"Leo is out of surgery, my colleague is just escorting him to the intensive care unit." Dr. Raymond said, glancing at the many bodies that had come to stand by Zac's side. "Could you follow me to my office? There's some things about Leo's case my colleague and I would like to discuss with you."

"Yes, of course." Zac nodded eagerly. "Is Leo okay? When can we see him?"

"He's stable." Came the doctors vague response. "You can see him soon. The nurses will need roughly an hour to get him settled." He gestured with his hand towards the long corridor at the end of the waiting room, the corridor that lead to the doctors offices. "Shall we?"

"I'm coming!" Ace stated quickly. Carter, Jack and Alex all nodding in agreement.

"Ace," Zac warned tiredly, he knew this was coming. "I'll fill you in on everything once I hear what they have to say."

"That's complete and utter bullshit and you know it! You'll only fill us in with what you want us to know. That's not fair, he's our brother too." Ace snapped back.

"He's not just Zac's brother Ace, you know that." Callan added softly. As much as he wanted to hear about Leo's condition from the doctors, it was Zac's right as a parent to decide what's best for them to know and what Leo would want them to know. "Let him find out what's wrong, the longer we argue about this, the longer we won't have any answers."

"No! We already have a rough idea of that Leo's been through. I'm his brother, we're his family too. We deserve to know. Please, Zac, please!" Ace begged, his eyes teary as he clasped his fists in an Oliver Twist manner. He needed to hear the doctors words, he needed their reassurance that Leo was and would be okay.

"I agree with Ace," Carter added, he was desperate to know the full extend of Leo's injuries. He just had to hear it for himself that his baby brother was okay. "We deserve to know, Zac. You know we do."

Zac glanced to the twins and Lily, a heavy sigh leaving his lips as he stared at their sleeping forms. Ace was right, he would only tell them what he thought they should know, but his younger brother had a point. "I can't leave them here and I don't want them to know, not right now." They hadn't been told about Leo's words on the bridge, Zac needed to approach that conversation with caution.

"We'll watch them." Elliot volunteered with a tired reassuring smile, gesturing between himself and Atlas.

"Yeah, no." Callan immediately shook his head, all the other boys copying the action. "Not a chance." He wouldn't trust Elliot to watch a hamster never mind his siblings.

"I think I'm offended." Atlas frowned with a pout, holding a hand over his heart feigning hurt.

Callan didn't respond, only giving an eye roll at Atlas' exclaim.

"Go. I'll keep an eye on them." Enzo offered, keeping Emilio tightly in his grip. His younger brother was desperate to know about Leo's condition and wanted to go with Zac, but as Enzo had told him, Leo's family deserved to know first. "Plus, Ryan, Charlie and Dakota are here as well. They'll be fine."

"Right, okay." Zac nodded, his eyes glancing to Ryan, who immediately reassured him they'd be fine. "I'll fill you guys in once we know what's what." He said, his gaze lingering on Emilio.

"Zac, could I come with you? There's some things I'd like to go over with Leo's doctors." Charlie asked politely. He didn't want to overstep, but the information he had regarding Leo's mental health was vital for Leo's doctors.

"Yeah, course you can." Zac agreed, turning from Charlie. He turned to the doctor, "Are they okay to come with me?"

"Of course. Right this way," Dr. Raymond lead them down the long corridor, stopping at an all to familiar door. He pushed down the brass handle, leading the boys inside towards the ginger haired doctor.

"Zac." Dr Owens greeted with a sad smile. "And boys. Nice to see you again, though I'm sorry it's under these circumstances." His eyes glanced to the therapist. "Charlie." He nodded in acknowledgement.

"Dr Owens?" Zac frowned lightly, "You're one of Leo's surgeons?"

"I am. Once I seen Leo's name on the OR board, I assigned myself to his case." Dr. Owens had kept in touch with Zac over the years regarding Leo's depression, as well as Charlie, having been the doctor who assigned Leo with the therapist, who also happened to be his nephew. "Please, have a seat." He paused, his eyes glancing to the younger boys. "Actually, I might need to get some more seats."

"It's okay, we can stand." Alex smiled tightly. He didn't want to waste anymore time, he just wanted to hear how Leo was doing.

"Very well." The doctor nodded. Taking a seat in his own chair behind the oak desk, he fumbled with his tie before addressing the eldest. "Are you sure you want them in here?" He turned to the younger boys. "No offence boys, but I'm not sure if what I'm about to share is best for you to hear."

Zac took a seat, as did Callan and Charlie whilst the rest of the boys leaned against the far right wall. "They're fine." Zac nodded lowly. He hoped he wasn't making a mistake by having them in the room.

"Very well." Dr. Owens cleared his throat. "As you know, Leo is now out of surgery. He's been transferred to the ICU and will need to stay there for the next two weeks, depending on how his recovery goes."

"Two weeks?" Ace repeated somewhat flabbergasted, that's a long time to be in intensive care.

Dr. Owens nodded, "Yes, at least." He paused. "The craniotomy went well. Leo did suffer a secondary bleed which Dr. Raymond was able to stop. The full recovery period for brain surgery as intrusive as this is roughly six to eight weeks. There are some side effects you'll need to be aware of, but we can discuss those at another time."

Dr. Owens paused, "Now, moving on to Leo's abdominal injuries. Half way through the craniotomy, Leo's heart stopped due to internal bleeding in the abdomen. After stabilising him, we found the source of the bleed to be a laceration on not only his spleen, but also one of his kidneys. Sadly both organs were damaged beyond repair and needed to be removed."

"Will he be okay? Does he need a kidney? I can give him a kidney!" Ace rushed out, his breathing somewhat erratic.

"Calm down kid." Dr. Raymond could see Ace was working himself into a near panic attack. "Leo doesn't need a kidney, the one he has left is still perfectly healthy."

"So, he'll be okay with just one?" Ace asked rather breathlessly as he willed himself to breathe.

"Yes, he will be." Dr. Owens responded this time. "You know he'll be fine without his spleen too. If my memory serves me right, Lily's spleen was removed during her surgery all those years ago, wasn't it?"

"It was." Carter nodded, refraining from telling the doctor that two years wasn't all those years ago.

"Mhm, so you know the effects of that. Like Lily, Leo will be more prone to infections and they'll effect him differently, a simple cold could be a hospital stay as the spleen is no longer there to fight the infection." Dr. Owens paused, a look of sorrow in his expression as he turned to Zac, "Now, onto some more pressing matters. During Leo's full examination, we found some... concerning injuries. Injuries unrelated to the... fall."

"What kind of injuries?" Carter asked impatiently, his foot tapping harshly against the dark blue carpet. Why did he have to be so cryptic? Just get to the fucking point.

"Has Leo been having any trouble at school or at home? Has he been getting bullied or?" Dr Owens gently pressed, shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"Leo, bullied?" Ace scoffed. No fucking way, they'd never allow that to happen. "Not a chance."

Jack gulped, he wanted to scream at Ace, scream at them all and tell them just how wrong they were. That Leo was getting bullied, worse than bullied... assaulted... abused. Maybe if he'd have spoken up sooner, Leo wouldn't be in here. Maybe, if Jack had just told Zac what he'd discovered, then none of this would've happened.

"And... at home? Have any of you had... issues with your younger brother? Do you get violent with one another?" The doctor asked, his beryl eyes showing just how much he wished he didn't have to.

"What!" Carter all but spat, how dare he even ask that. "We never get violent with each other, especially not with Leo. We'd never hurt him." But I have hurt him, not physically but emotionally, mentally...

"Carter, calm down." Callan placed a hand on his brothers shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze before turning his eyes to the ginger haired man. "He got in a fight at school today or... well... yesterday... I don't even know what day it is."

"Why are you asking this?" Zac turned to Dr. Owens. "What's going on?"

"I see." Dr Owens nodded tightly, his lips pressed together in a thin line. He needed to find out who this fight was with and why. "Leo's injuries are very similar to those of patients who've suffered..." his eyes glanced to Jack, his lips tilting downwards as he forced out the next word.

"Abuse."

-

End of chapter 29
So so so so so sorry for the delay.

Hope it was worth the wait, if not... oh well.

Leo's alive, yay. Of course I wouldn't kill off my favourite character. Who do you think I am?

What's up with Jack?

How will the boys react when more secrets are shared...

Comment vote follow etc etc etc.
3900 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

571K 22K 114
Jason is eighteen and has been waiting for his Mate for two years. As soon as he graduates high school, hes leaving to go find the love of his life a...
135K 7.4K 44
Read Broken Hearts and New Beginnings before reading this book. This is the 2nd part of the story. Book two of the New Moon Series Jake is about to...
129K 8.8K 33
"I'm not gay" "Then stay the fuck away from me," he looked at the sunshine before him, defiance in his beautiful eyes, being difficult and stubborn...
233K 6K 31
Riley Smith is about as troubled as they come, he's anorexic but in denial about it and fights a lot. What happens when his parents kick him out then...