In Search of Home

By RegTheRag

Viktor didn't expect to be abducted by aliens when he went to school one morning, and he certainly didn't exp... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Epilogue
Glossary

Chapter 43

1.4K 86 8
By RegTheRag

Viktor rather liked sleeping with someone else in the room. When night had rolled around the next day, he had hesitantly ducked into Vok'Rul's room while the alien had been in the bathroom. When the alien had returned to his bedroom for the night, Viktor was innocently sitting on the bed. Vok'Rul had stopped in the doorway, staring at him for a little while, before muttering something under his breath. 

He didn't kick Viktor out, though. That was a plus. It had been the best sleep of his life. 

The third night found Viktor back in his closet. If he were honest with himself, he had been a little wary of sleeping alone again, afraid that he would end up bashing his arms and legs all over the place. No nightmares came that night, though, and he woke up peacefully to Vok'Rul pouring some jerky and fruit into his food dish in the morning. 

It seemed that the alien was taking a break from the papers today. He seemed less stressed about it, though, so maybe he was close to figuring out what they meant. It didn't concern Viktor that much, so he didn't really think about it. He was still a little curious about what was on them, especially considering he had gotten his head smashed for trying to stop the thief. But, he reasoned with himself, he couldn't even read the text. 

The only written word he knew was Kohgrash, and that was because it was written on his wrist. He hadn't managed to get his hands on any other sort of written text to compare the letters. 

After eating his fill, fingers stained purple with that starfruit and likely a tongue to go with them, Viktor started splashing water onto his face, trying to scrub away at the grime that accumulated on his skin. He'd rather have a shower, but splashing himself daily seemed like the best thing he could do. He'd be damned if he'd let Vok'Rul bathe him again - this time, sober. He shuddered. 

Viktor frowned at his water dish. The liquid was faintly purple. 

"Hey," he called out to Vok'Rul, who was sitting at his desk and yawning tiredly. The alien looked over his holographic computer to look at him, tilting his head slightly. Viktor pointed at the water dish. He wracked his brain for the word water. "Uhh, awkma. Neyk awkma." That sounded right. 

Vok'Rul, like the dickhead he was, laughed at his broken attempt of whatever their language was called. But he must've gotten his point across because the alien stood up and wandered over. "Ta ka awshk, Kohgrash," Vok'Rul said, reaching down to ruffle his hair. Viktor felt like he was being insulted. 

"Okay, jerk. Replace my water. I can't reach the sink." he commanded. "Plus, your faucets are stupid," Viktor added heatedly. He followed the alien into the bathroom, watching as best as he could from the ground as Vok'Rul washed out the dish and filled it up with fresh water. 

"Mor ta lyr, cho'k. Corfa," Vok'Rul told him as he handed him back the dish. Viktor vaguely recalled Thruul telling him the same thing when he had gone to the large alien to get water. He squinted suspiciously at the taller one, wondering what it meant. 

"Thanks. Tokka," Viktor returned, sipping some of the water from the bowl. He felt Vok'Rul poke at his hair, humming curiously as he noticed it was damp. He got that complex look on his face that told the teenager he was deep in thought. Usually, though, it was reserved for those papers. 

"What are you thinking about?" Viktor asked, a little on edge. He was ushered out of the bathroom and back into the office without an answer. Typical. 

After setting down his bowl in its correct place, Viktor wandered over to the alien, who was swiping furiously at the 3D images hovering over his computer. Some of the swirly alien text was displayed, but most of it was images of humans. 

"What-" he asked, before getting cut off as Vok'Rul easily scooped him up and dropped him on his lap. "Jesus!" 

"Kohgrash," Vok'Rul said before Viktor could really lay into the alien for thinking he was just some animal to be picked up all willy nilly, "Keti." So, the word did mean look. That was good to know. He pointed at the humans on screen, one hand wrapping around Viktor's stomach to prevent him from scooting off his lap, which was exactly what he'd be trying to do. 

Ugh. Vok'Rul had gotten a little better with the whole not touching him when he didn't want to be touched, but whenever he got a little focused on something (re: this!), he invaded Viktor's personal space like it wasn't even there. 

"Yeah, yeah," Viktor said, glaring up at the alien before looking at the projected images. Humans. He hadn't seen Nikolas in a little over two weeks, so it was sorta nice to see humans, even if they were just on a screen. They were real pictures, which was to be expected, but Viktor couldn't help but feel it jarring. 

Most of them had collars or other adornments on them, all alien in design. His own hand traveled up to his neck, rubbing the bumpy scars self-consciously. Some looked happy, smiling at the camera. Others looked simply confused, and some had no expression as if they weren't even aware they had had their photo taken. 

Viktor looked around the site that Vok'Rul was on. It looked to be some sort of human care blog. He scoffed, wondering what the aliens had to say about his species. 

Vok'Rul continued scrolling through the blog, and Viktor watched, looking at all the pictures. There were foods displayed, exotic and bright. They looked delicious. Meat, fruit, and he even saw something like pasta. The aliens here were carnivores. Did they even need to cultivate plants? 

Their alien Internet excursion was interrupted by Vok'Rul's phone letting out the most god-awful screech Viktor has ever heard. He yelled his surprise and displeasure, clapping his hands over his ears. Vok'Rul said something, frantically reaching for his phone (and nearly throwing Viktor off in the process) and clicking it on, ending the terrible screeching noise. 

"Rohsh, Rukka," he said as she flickered into existence. He looked down at Viktor, who was slowly peeling his hands off his ears and looking into the hologram. He put his hand on the top of his head apologetically. He said a few other words, Kohgrash thrown in the middle of them. He angled the phone down so Rukka could see him. 

Viktor waved, "Rohsh, Rukka." Rukka didn't say hi back, which he thought was rude. He could hear high-pitched, childish words behind her, and he tilted his head in confusion. The noises sounded awfully similar to the schoolchildren he had met all those weeks ago.

He heard Rukka half-sigh, half-laugh, before saying something to Vok'Rul as he pulled the phone toward his face. Whatever she said made him go from happy to absolutely ecstatic. Viktor yelped as they suddenly lurched backward, and he quickly jumped off the alien as soon as he saw the opportunity. 

Vok'Rul stood up a moment later, rushing out of the office while chattering with Rukka. Viktor stood in the doorway, bewildered as the alien started dragging stuff around. Out of nowhere, he summoned a little box. Blankets and pillows were dragged out of his room. Eventually, he and Rukka said goodbye, and he hung up, only to call Thruul a moment later. He gave the large alien (who Viktor couldn't see from this far, thankfully) a few curt orders, and hung up on him, too. 

"You need better phone manners. You and Rukka," Viktor told him, crossing his arms. 

Vok'Rul whirled around to face him, arms full of blankets. He grinned, teeth fully on display. It looked much more threatening than usual, and he had to remind himself that their mouths didn't curl upward as much as his did and that he was just really happy and trying to show him. Still, it was a little unnerving. 

His good mood was a little infectious, though, and Viktor followed him around as he set up the living room. Set it up for what, he had no idea, but it was kinda funny to watch Vok'Rul going back and forth, fluffing pillows and spreading out blankets. The couch was practically overtaken by them. It looked pretty comfortable now. 

"Pora, Kohgrash!" Vok'Rul said excitedly, which was the only thing Viktor could make out before he started speaking quickly to him, waving his arms about and gesturing at the living room. Viktor simply nodded along, bemused. He followed the alien when he went downstairs (well, he only went about halfway, before Vok'Rul scooped him up and carried him the rest of the way down impatiently) and out of the wing they'd been in for the last three days. 

As usual, he waved at the bodyguard posted outside of the doorway and got no response.

Vok'Rul stood in the entryway, tail swaying back and forth behind him. Viktor stood beside him for a few minutes, but after a while, he started to get bored. He circled around Vok'Rul, making a little game of hopping over his tail. He almost tripped over the thing once and decided to stop before he embarrassed himself further. Whatever they were waiting for was taking a while. 

Viktor looked through the door's windows, peering at the extravagant driveway and the flora that decorated it. The staff that stood on each side of the door were watching him curiously. Viktor wondered if it was a nice day outside. A light went off in his head. 

"Hey, Vok'Rul," Viktor said, jogging back to the alien and tugging on his hand. He pointed outside. "I wanna go outside. Open the door, please?" 

It took a few more iterations of asking to go outside and a lot of miming, but eventually, Vok'Rul realized what he was trying to say. The alien happily led Viktor outside, and instead of standing in the entryway, stood on the paved driveway instead, still as a statue. The weather outside was mild; not too hot and not too cold. 

Viktor rolled his eyes but went to go inspect the bushes. They were flowering and looked pretty harmless, so he plucked a few. They were vividly orange, with some white spots near the center. They were small, about as big as his fingernail. He gathered a few in the palm of his hand. 

Behind him, the familiar buzzing hum of a car started getting nearer. Finally, he thought, going back to Vok'Rul's side. He kicked the alien's leg lightly to get his attention, showing him the flowers he got. Vok'Rul nodded seriously at him and told him something. Probably compliments for his sick flowers. 

The gate opened and allowed a car into the driveway. When it rolled to a stop, staff that came out of nowhere jogged up to the car and opened the doors. Rukka stepped out, dressed in less formal clothes than he normally saw her in. On the other side of the car, a short, slim alien exited. They were blue-tinged, just like Lilac, but were more on the darker side of the spectrum, making them look indigo more than anything. They also had a short tail.  

The most surprising thing that came out of the car, however, was the small alien child that launched itself out of the car and toward Viktor and Vok'Rul. 

Viktor took a few hasty steps back, flowers forgotten. Thankfully, it seemed like the kid wasn't going toward him, but instead toward Vok'Rul. The tall alien crouched down, scooping up the child and swinging them up into the air. Both of them rumbled their happiness, loudly. 

"Tor'Rul!" the child giggled. Viktor mouthed the word silently. What the hell was going on? 

"Nohkka," Vok'Rul responded fondly, speaking to her with open adoration. 

Rukka and her companion (partner?) walked up to Vok'Rul. The child looked a lot like Rukka, Viktor could see while glancing between the four of them. He didn't know Rukka was a mother. The information felt weird. Viktor had a hard time separating professional Rukka and casual Rukka. 

"Rohsh, Rukka," Vok'Rul said, before turning his attention to her partner. He said hello again before speaking with a series of grunts and clicks. Viktor blinked. There was no hope in him replicating that. The only thing he could make out was 'kac.' 

Kac responded with a rohsh (female! Viktor thought) and a stilted bow, which made Rukka elbow her, scoffing with the exasperation of someone who's done this multiple times. 

Nohkka, unwilling to be forgotten, started chatting Vok'Rul's ears off. Vok'Rul set her on the ground, and that's when she noticed Viktor. 

"Um," he said, hyperaware of all four sets of eyes on him as she gasped and pointed at him. Vok'Rul was quick to crouch down, towering over Nohkka, who had to be at least a foot shorter than Viktor. The alien must have explained his situation to the child, as he heard his name being thrown into the conversation multiple times, watching her face get solemn and serious. 

"Kohgrash, pora," Vok'Rul called, holding out a hand to him. Viktor eyed all four of them skeptically, mostly the child and Kac. 

No, he couldn't do it. While most of the children at the school had been mild-mannered and respectful of his space, this one was rather... rambunctious. And supposedly Vok'Rul's niece. He obviously loved her. Viktor didn't want to chance anything. While he would never harm a child, especially not when her parents were right there, he didn't like feeling helpless. And if she suddenly grabbed him, there would be really nothing he could do. Not to mention, Kac was staring at him like she didn't know what to think and was eyeing him warily. And that made him nervous. 

"Neyk," he said stubbornly, taking another few steps back. Vok'Rul opened his mouth to respond, but Nohkka was already on the move. 

She slipped out of the lightly restraining arm Vok'Rul had slung around her and walked toward Viktor. Inwardly panicking (which was ridiculous, she was a child), Viktor fought his body's compulsions to drop into a defensive stature and bare his teeth. There was no need to act like an animal anymore. 

Before Vok'Rul could even get up and grab Nohkka, the child was already up close and personal with Viktor. She was almost as dark red as Vok'Rul, complete with a tail. He could see hints of Vok'Rul in the child, especially with where her small horn protrusions were located along her cheeks. Her eyes were a dull yellow hue, not quite as vibrant as her uncle's. 

She was much shorter than Viktor. The top of her head barely came up to his neck. He didn't know how long this species lived or what their lifecycle really looked like, but either she was really short for her age or really young. He was leaning toward the latter, though.

Her claws dug a little too sharply into his head as she reached up to pet him, causing him to make a strangled noise of protest in the back of his throat and flinch back. Thankfully, by then, Vok'Rul managed to scoop her up. 

"Kora," Viktor flinched violently, bringing up his hands to cover his head. But Vok'Rul was talking to Nohkka, not him. He took a few breaths, trying to relax. He managed to stomp down any impending panic, not wanting to have an episode right in the front yard with four aliens watching him. His hands trembled. 

Vok'Rul was talking firmly to Nohkka, reinforced occasionally by Kac and Rukka. Nohkka looked guilty, emotions much more clear on the child's face than any adult he's seen, except maybe for Vok'Rul. Alarmingly, when Nohkka looked back at Viktor, it looked like she was going to cry. Did these aliens even cry?! 

"Flakmmn, Kohgrash!" she wailed sorrowfully. Viktor scrunched his face up in confusion. 

Thankfully, though, Vok'Rul seemed to be of the mind to keep Nohkka in his arms for now, much to Viktor's relief. They all went back inside, including a few staff members who were carrying some bags that must have come along in the car. Kac and Rukka departed before Vok'Rul, Viktor and Nohkka went into the former's wing, branching off to one of the other guest suites located deeper within the manor. 

Nohkka wanted to go up the stairs herself, so Viktor had to keep a healthy distance away from them while she did so, unless he wanted to get petted a little too enthusiastically again. Thankfully, it didn't seem like it was just him who struggled with the stairs. He felt a little better about that. 

Rukka and Kac made their way upstairs just as Viktor had finished tackling them himself. Vok'Rul and Nohkka were sitting on the pile of blankets on the floor, playing some sort of card game. Rukka and Kac settled on the couch behind them, switching on the TV. 

Viktor stood there, near the stairwell, simply observing. It was a little weird to watch Vok'Rul act so... domestic. Sure, he had seen the alien watch TV and sleep and eat, but he seemed more content with his family around him than he did alone. He felt something bitter twist in his gut. 

Viktor watched as Vok'Rul nudged Nohkka, gesturing over in his direction. He stiffened as the child looked over, lighting up as if he were a large present under the Christmas tree. Vok'Rul whispered something to her, and she nodded seriously. "Pora, Kohgrash, pora!" she said commandingly. 

Vok'Rul was gesturing for him to come here, gaze beseeching. Feeling as though he was walking to certain death, Viktor hesitantly went over, giving the kid a wide berth and standing closer to Vok'Rul. Even sitting, the alien was still taller than him. Bastard. 

"Keti, Nohkka," he told her, lifting up a hand and settling it on Viktor's head. He gently smoothed the hair on top of Viktor's head, petting him with exaggerated care. Viktor couldn't hold back the scoff that left his lips, crossing his arms in front of his chest. His nails dug into his arms. 

Nohkka said something, pointing at him. He saw Vok'Rul nod out of the corner of his eye, and suddenly felt a pressure on his neck. His hand moved before he registered the conscious thought to do it. 

He gripped Vok'Rul's large fingers, blunt nails digging into his tough skin. His hold was tight, arm shaking with the effort, but it didn't seem to faze Vok'Rul, though the alien did go still. He merely tugged his hand away, gently prying Viktor's fingers off of his own. 

Viktor didn't know what Vok'Rul was telling the child exactly, but whatever it was seemed to make her sad. Rukka and Kac, when Viktor glanced over after forcing his muscles to relax from the unexpected touch on his neck, were studying him fiercely. The former had a hard expression on her face, determined and angry, while the latter had pity written across it. He looked away. He didn't need their pity. 

Viktor felt Vok'Rul murmur something apologetically to him, and the knot in his chest loosened, just a little. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves. Vok'Rul wouldn't hurt him, he reassured himself. The alien started petting his hair again, and Viktor relaxed even further. He could do this. It was just a kid. 

Granted, a kid that, if he hurt by accident, would probably spell the end of him. He tried not to let that thought take root in his head, though. 

Vok'Rul waved the kid over, speaking to her. The whole room seemed hushed. Nohkka slowly walked over, deliberately slow and careful. Vok'Rul must have coached her on how to walk because about halfway to him, he could start telegraphing her moves easily. Still, he watched her warily. 

She reached out to him, hand flat. After a moment, Viktor ducked his head a little, letting her reach up and pet him. She was much gentler this time. 

Her smile was blinding, and so was Vok'Rul's. 

***

Vocabulary: 

awkma: water

awshk: smart, intelligent

cho'k: endearment, usually meaning little one, love; usually used for pets or small children

corfa: careful

flakmmn: sorry, informal

ka: is (are)

keti: look

kora: bad or naughty, a light scolding

mor ta lyr: here you go

neyk: stop, no

pora: come

rohsh: a friendly greeting, such as hello or hey

ta: you

tokka: thank you, thanks

tor': uncle, usually followed by the person's name

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 251 49
Lily Abadie never expected to spend her summer at the center of an intergalactic war. When a spacecraft crashes into her family's summer cabin and sh...
3.3M 145K 30
"Earth has been different for awhile, but I don't think we've ever had a beautiful, muscular alien dude falling from the sky. It's not really somethi...
355K 14.7K 99
[COMPLETED ✔] Amelia was all alone on earth. Suffering from hunger, thirst, and pain. She waits for her to die. The most she had been regret in her l...
130K 5.4K 24
In the last few centuries, humans have pushed themselves almost to the brink of extinction with wars, famine, and disease. But we have managed to sur...