The Girl behind the Throne (E...

By roiskate

its hard being the secret best friend of the next king, for Tess and James their friendship spanning twelve y... More

Introductory Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 14
The Girl behind the Throne chapter 15
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 16
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 17 part 1
The girl behind the Throne Chapter 17 part 2
The Girl behind the throne Chapter 18
The Girl behind the Throne. COMPETITION :)
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 19
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 20
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 21
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 22
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 23
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 24
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 25
The Girl behind the Throne 26
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 27
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 28
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 29
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 30
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 31
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 32
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 33
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 34
The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 35
The Girl behind the Throne Epilogue
Author's Note. IMPORTANT

The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 13

182K 2.4K 204
By roiskate

hey guys, i did my exam - it was shitty but at least now i can write for a little longer for a while. soo this ones a nice one.....i think.....

ps. has everyone checked out the facebook page yet?? :)

im not in the mood to write this so im gunna go and let you read :)

let me know what you think :) 

I gasped loudly as I opened the paper, inside were pictures of me and Jamie kissing against the wall. Jamie’s body was blocking my face as we kissed, with only my dark hair, silver dress and bare legs were the only things showing. The picture was blurry and unfocused, so whoever took it must have moved quickly away from us.

I read on through the paper as they tried to guess who Jamie’s mystery woman was, they had looked over all the guests of the ball for a young girl in a silver dress, thankfully I hadn’t had my picture taken so I wasn’t in the line up. The main guess was Lady Penelope Beauchamp, a tall willowy woman whose dress was close to the same colour as mine.

I looked on as experts analyzed the pictures saying that we the way we were touching we were in love and very passionate, but it was the next statement that made my heart drop to my stomach. It was a statement from the palace ‘we representatives on behalf of prince James would like to announce that the pictures are indeed of lady Penelope Beauchamp and himself, and that they are very much a couple’.

Tears blurred my vision as I read about how they had met last year and have been secretly meeting with one another for just over a year. I was supposed to feel relieved, but I didn’t, I felt like I was the dirty laundry shoved under the bed.

I felt tears fall down my cheeks and I heard the door open. I didn’t even bother to look up, I didn’t care who it was.

“Tess, are you ok?” I heard my dad ask me in a gentle voice. He knelt down beside me and rubbed my face free of tears.

“Not really. How did you know it was me?” I asked looking up to my dad’s face. He was still handsome in his late thirties, his black hair without gray and his blue eyes large and concerned.

“Darling, it’s a dad’s prerogative to know what’s going on with their baby girl, even if she isn’t a baby anymore”.  He said kindly pulling me up and into a tight hug. I hugged him back tears still falling down my face.

“Are you mad?” I asked jerkily through tears. He chuckled humourlessly.

“No sweetheart, im just worried for you”. He said rubbing my back comfortingly in slow circles.

“Daddy, did you see the statement”. I said in heaving breathes as I cried into his chest.

“I did, I was there when the king released it, James didn’t want him to say anything, he got so angry when he sent it off that he punched a wall”. He said soothingly to me. Jamie didn’t want them making up lies either then.

“Do they know it’s me?” I asked pulling myself out of the hug and sat down again, I was dreading the answer, it was most likely going to be ‘yes, and you have to leave’.

“No. James wouldn’t tell them who you are, I could see this happening”. He said tiredly and rubbing his face.

“How? Not even I could have predicted this”. I snorted; the tears were falling slower now.

“Because this happened to me when I was your age”. He said looking me directly in the eyes, I remembered now about what the queen said.

“With mum?” I asked looking at him, he nodded.

“With your mother. When I was eighteen I got my first job as a chauffeur and mechanic for Lord Byron”. He said smiling now as he stared off into the distance, I hadn’t heard this story before, normally when dad talked about mum it got too much for him.

“He was a tight old man and I soon began to realise working for him was going to be tough so I kept my head down. I was lovingly polishing his Rolls Royce one day when I saw her. She had come back from boarding school early and was sitting in the garden reading in a book. Somehow with one glance, she had me hooked. We were together secretly for months before she fell pregnant, when she told her parents they threw her out”. He said looking at me his eyes glistening.

“That’s awful”. I said indignantly.

“No its not, your mother didn’t like them very her father much anyway, we managed fine with me working at a garage until violet grew sick. So you and I both came here. Sophia was your mother’s best friend and really went out on a limb for us”. He said looking at me.

Sophia? My dad actually called the queen by her first name, this conversation was getting weirder and weirder, I was just waiting for the ‘by the way you’re adopted too’ revelation and then I would be walking down to the nearest bar and getting wasted.

“So I have grandparents?” I asked him, he nodded looking a little angry. I loved my dad’s parents, but when they died when I was eight, I kinda got used to the fact that I had lost my only grandparents without questioning about my mum’s parents.

“Yes, lady and Lord Byron are still alive and kicking- mainly puppies and small children”. My dad said with a wry smile.

I laughed at that one, “So why haven’t I heard of them?” I asked him, not really wanting to hear the answer. I got the feeling that these people weren’t going to be in the running for grandparents of the year.

“Would you like to?” He asked seriously, I saw the raw hurt in his eyes, this talk had brought back the haunted expression that dad got whenever he talked about mum.

“No, I should talk to Jamie”. I said getting off the chair and going upstairs.

“Be careful Tess, I don’t want you to feel this hurt”. My dad said in such a low voice that I couldn’t be sure he actually said it.

I ran upstairs pulling out my phone and ringing Jamie. “Meet me by the lake”. I said before hanging up, I dressed quickly not in a random t-shirt and jeans not even bothering to brush my hair.

I walked up to the lake slowly trying to gather my thoughts, I noticed Jamie sitting on the dock waiting for me, my heart was beating heavily as I watched his strong back muscles tense as he skipped stones into the water.

I walked up the dock; he turned when he heard my footsteps. There was a concerned expression on his beautiful face and his grey eyes were tender.

“Hi”. I said simply sitting down beside him on the dock, so my feet like his were swinging above the water.

“Hi”. He said back softly, I looked across the lake, the wind ruffling my hair gently.

“Where do I stand?” I asked him bluntly, getting straight to the point, I looked at him, he was frowning unhappily, he lifted his hand and intertwined it with mine.

“The same place you stood last night, when I told you I loved you”. He said sincerely looking in my eyes. For some reason that small gesture made my eyes fill with tears. He pulled me to him in a tight hug. “Shh Tessie, don’t cry”. He said into my hair.

I sat there while he held me feeling safe and warm. I breathed in the deep smell of him.

“You are my strength, my sunshine, my treasure, my world, my everything, my heart’s desire. You are my greatest love”. He said softly into my ear making my eyes tear up again.

I leaned up looking him in the eyes seeing only his love for me in their grey beauty. I kissed him deeply, knotting my fingers in his hair and deepening the kiss, massaging my tongue with his.

In my foolish lust I forgot momentarily that I was sitting on a dock above raised water until our bodies made contact with the icy water. Gasping as I swam to the top of the water, I looked over to Jamie who was laughing at my scowl.

“You look like hatchet face”. He said between laughs, I swam over to him and pushed his head back into the water serves him right for saying I resemble that ugly ass cat.

He grabbed my legs pulling me up as he plunged out of the water. I was submerged in the water for a minute hearing Jamie laugh as I reached the air, I planned on swimming over to him and beating the crap out of him so you could play dot to dot with his bruises, but instead I stopped at the sight of him. His golden curls were pushed of his face and were dripping with water, showing his masculine face smiling and happy all I could do was swim over to him and jump on him.

He smiled as I rubbed my nose against his, and swam gently over to shallower water and leaned me against the pole of the dock; I kissed him again, loving the tingles it shot throughout my entire body.

I pulled my lips apart so our tongues massaged each other slowly, even his taste was delicious. He moaned lightly as I wrapped my legs around his waist. I could feel something pressing against my thigh and I grinned against his lips, I kissed slowly down his neck, hearing him gently moan I reached the bottom of his t-shirt and pulled it over his head. The sight of his bare chest making my pulse race faster than speedy Gonzales.

I kissed him deeply again and his hand came up to cup my breast, pulled away looking at me and asking was it ok. I felt like shouting out ‘of course its ok you fool’ but refrained when his lips crashed against my own.

He slipped his hand up my shirt where his hands came into contact with my bare skin it left scorched tingles like I had been burned. I wriggled against him so my body moved closer to the bulge in his pants. He moaned deeply whispering “I love you” in my ear as he breathed heavily.

“Master James?” I heard Maggie’s voice calling out, coming closer to the dock.

“Shit”. Jamie said breathing into my mouth. I giggled slightly as Jamie detached himself from my body and my roaming hands. “Yeah?” He said swimming up to the shore of the lake so Maggie didn’t see a now hiding me.

“What are you doing in there master James? You’ll catch your death”. Maggie said fussing loudly. I smiled at Jamie I could see him from here, but had my body covered by the dock.

“Um, I fell?” He said uncertainly, before adding “I had plenty to keep my warm”. Under his breath as he waded out of the water.

I smiled leaning back against the pole as I heard Maggie complaining loudly that he could catch pneumonia while Jamie answered back making her smile.

Two hours later I was in my stuffy uniform again bringing up the dinner plates to the dining room, the stupid grin never leaving my face.

I walked in seeing the usual faces of the king, queen, Jamie, Andrew and Richard (ass-wipe) except there was an added extra at the table. Her dark hair was set up into a complicated looking up do and her designer clothes the latest styles. Lady Penelope had been invited to dinner, she was now trying shamelessly to flirt with an extremely unimpressed looking Jamie, when I walked in his eyes shot up to me, it was almost like somebody had lit a match behind them, how could nobody have seen that but me.

I dropped the plates on the table being careful not to look at him knowing the royal family wouldn’t appreciate watching their maid shagging their son on the dinner table. The queen was looking at me a small smile on her face.

I stood back against the wall ignoring Richard completely, when I heard a nasally voice call out.

“This is cold”. I looked over to Lady Penelope who was looking at her boef Berginion like it was a creature from the swap lagoon looking to make her its mate.

“I’ll go and get you a fresh plate”. I said apologetically walking over to her and picking her plate up.

“Well hurry up, I thought even maids could manage such a meagre task”. She said viciously smirking at me. I wanted to break the plate over that bitches head.

“That isn’t the way we speak to people here”. Said the queen to Penelope coldly, I was surprised she stuck up for me. I looked at the cold glint in her eye, looks like Penelope hasn’t got a fan in her. I looked over to Andrew who appeared to be growling at Penelope and had to bite back a laugh, as for Jamie he looked like he would stab her in the eye with his fork, the king looked a little disappointed and Richard, well Richard the smarmy little biatch that he is was just sneering.

“I don’t know if I would call maid’s people your majesty”. Penelope said smiling sweetly, she was making a big mistake, the king and queen were good people if she had planned on behaving like a spoiled brat to gain their attention then she was being a tool.

I muttered angry replies under my breath as I walked out the room and down to the kitchen before explaining to Maggie that I didn’t feel well and that I needed to go home.

I was outside before the harsh words of Penelope stung me, making tears fill my eyes. That was what I was, whether Jamie and Andrew treated me like it or not, I was just a maid.

I was in my bed crying a couple of hours later when I heard something at my window, I stuck my head outside. Jamie was throwing pebbles at my window.

“What are you doing?” I hissed angrily he grinned up at me.

“Lady, by yonder blessed moon I vow, that tips with silver all these fruit- tree- tops....let me in before I freeze my bollocks off”. He said grinning widely, I laughed at his little rhyme.

“I don’t remember the last part in Romeo and Juliet”. I said leaning out my window.

“I improvised”. He said grinning back at me making my breath catch in my throat. He stuck on foot in the ivy trellis against the wall and began to climb up to my window.

“You’re going to fall”. I sang with a massive smile on my face as he was reaching up to me.

“Love will raise me up to where I belong”. Jamie shot back smirking.

“Are you made of edam? No? Then stop with the cheesiness”. I said grinning widely standing back so he could get through my window.

“You know you love it woman”. Jamie said back. I laughed falling back on my bed.

There was a loud thud as Jamie fell through my window face first with his legs still in the air, I laughed loudly at his uncomfortable expression, and he laughed too before jumping up and launching himself on my bed beside me and rolling over so he was lying on top of me.

“Hi”. He breathed kissing me.

“Hi”. I said back laughing at his giddy expression.

“Wow am I romantic or what”. He said grinning at me.

“Very”. I said yawning; I pushed him back down on my bed and pressed my head to his chest. He chuckled but didn’t say anything.

I lay there counting his heartbeats sleepiness covering me. Right now I didn’t care what Penelope said to me, because at the end of it all I was the one lying in here with Jamie.

He stroked my back slowly lulling me further into sleep, “I love you”. He whispered in the darkness.

“Ihh lobe roo too”. I said sleepily my tongue heavy.

“Wow, my amazing-ness has deemed her speechless”. He said I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Idiot”. I said clearly this time and I lifted my finger to his lips shushing him, I felt him chuckle underneath me and his lips kiss my restricting finger. I fell asleep smiling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 1.1K 27
Sammy finally hooks up with the man she has been in love with since her freshman year of high school. The bad thing about this hook up? He is soppose...
40.1K 2K 38
What would you do if the boy, who used to be your best friend seven years ago suddenly appeared in your school halls, as gorgeous as he is and turned...
8 0 36
Louisa doesn't she the point in life anymore, but when she moves to a posh new boarding school in Scotland everything changes. She meets people who w...
2.3K 160 36
Alfie and Natalie have known each other for pretty much life now. Natalie has and endless love for Alfie as she has had since they were little. Anoth...