That Summer With You (ongoing)

By ethereallbooks

After the mysterious death of her father, Violet, a determined young woman, moves to London to uncover the tr... More

prelude
characters + playlist
01- THE PAST
02- WINE SPILLS
03- MISTAKES
05- FINGERS CROSSED
06- GRAVESTONE

04- THE F*%#! EMAIL

505 8 14
By ethereallbooks

"Sometimes home is a person"
- unknown

I take a seat next to her on the couch. Turning my body to face her. All I've been able to think about since last night was him. Those breathtaking greens take up all the space in my mind. Again.

You'll never see him again. Forget about him.

I look up at Mia, drowning out all the overflowing thoughts. "No. I didn't get his number." I tell her.

"Oh." That is all she manages to say.

I look away from her. "I didn't even get his name." I sigh, covering my face with my hands.

"Was he cute?" She asks, making me let out a laugh.

"Cute? He was beautiful, like genuinely breathtaking. I even asked him to take off his shirt." I explain, my face heating up at the vivid memory.

Almost spitting out her tea, "You what?!?!" Mia manages to get out mid-cough.

"Don't choke now. Wouldn't want you dying." I say patting her back.

She glares at me before I continue. "The only reason I asked him to take off his shirt was because I spilled wine on him," I explain as she eyes me curiously.

"And he took it off when you asked?" She asks, setting her mug down, fully invested in the events of last night

"Yeah. I mean I begged him too. And he even called me and I quote "the most gorgeous girl." and I didn't even ask for his name or number." I tell her almost face-palming at the thought.

"Oh wow. It sounds like you had a hell of a night. But it's ok, we all miss opportunities with seemingly great people." She says giving me a bright smile and squeezing my hand.

"This is why I'm single. I'm going to be alone forever." I joke as she swats me in the arm. I gasp, holding my hand to my chest dramatically.

"Oh stop it. You're so dramatic Vi." She says rolling her eyes and turning her attention back to the TV.

"That hurt so much. I almost shed a tear." I sniffle.

"I can't with you." She laughs.

"I'm being serious." I glare at her, making her laugh even harder.

Recovering from all the laughter, I turn to face her.

"I've been meaning to ask, are you planning anything for your birthday?" I ask.

"I don't know." She says avoiding my eyes all of a sudden.

"Do you know if your brothers are planning anything?" I ask making sure not to push the topic too much.

"No. I genuinely want nothing to do with my birthday." She says turning off the TV, and getting up to leave.

Mia was never really too open about why she hated her birthday so much. I still remember the first year we became roommates and I had found out it was her birthday and surprised her. She locked herself in her room for over a week. And I haven't surprised her since.

All she ever told me was that she and her mom shared the same birthday. And that her mom wasn't in her life anymore.

I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to celebrate her birthday because it reminded her of her mom.

The sound of Mia's door closing echoes through the living room.

I get up, walking towards my room leaving the now quiet living room that was once filled with laughter. It was dark in my room and honestly, I didn't mind.

The darkness has always been something I've been scared of but when it follows you like a shadow, you tend to start feeling ok with it being there.

I drag my feet towards my desk, lazily plopping down on my chair and staring up at the night light stars on my ceiling.

Stars were always some sort of comfort to me, even as a little girl. My dad had always told me that he always saw the stars in my eyes.

I reach up to touch the small star pendant that hangs around my neck. Before my eyes can start to water my computer turns on, notifying me of a new email.

I take a deep breath before sitting straight in my chair and scooting closer to my desk to see the email. My eyes widen at the notification on my screen my heart rate picking up. I click on it. It was the response to the job application I sent in.

To: VioletWilson42@gmail.com

From: RegalGreensEstate@gmail.com

Dear Ms. Violet,

We would be delighted to help you with your college credits. We will enroll you in our program once you come in. We would love for you to come in on June 5th for an interview and to get a tour around the place so you are familiar with it and see how everything works. I would also like to add that you probably already know this but you won't be getting paid since you are making up credits. I will go more in detail when you come in but if you have any questions feel free to email us at this exact email. We hope to see you then. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Florence

Dread fills my chest as I finish reading the email. Mias' birthday is on the 5th and even if she isn't doing anything I don't like to leave her alone on her birthday.

So I start writing my response.

To: RegalGreensEstate@gmail.com

From: VioletWilson42@gmail.com

Thank you so much for the opportunity! But we have a slight problem. I won't be able to start on the 5th due to an important appointment that day. So sorry if this causes any inconvenience. But I would be delighted to start the day after the 5th!

Sincerely,

Violet

And now we wait. I let out a deep breath before my body goes limp in my chair. I look up at the glowing stars on my ceiling once more "Why has it been so hard to figure out what happened to you, dad?"

I suck in a shaky breath, getting up.

❀ ❀ ❀

"Mia?" I say, slightly knocking on her door.

After a few hours of never-ending thoughts, I felt it would be best if I just told her that I'd applied for a job. I can't explain to her the whole reason why but I needed to.

"Come in." I hear from the other side of the door.

Opening the door to see her sitting on the floor painting her nails. "I brought you some water. You know for the headache." I say, placing it on the nightstand next to her.

"Thanks." She responds, not looking up. I don't hesitate to sit next to her. The silence now creeps up my back, "I got a summer job" I blurt the silence shattering between us.

I avoid her eyes but I can feel hers burning holes into my head. "Why!? Violet, you already work incredibly hard why take your summer away?

"I have to make up credits and this is the only way I'll be able to make them up. And it's only for this summer, next summer we can go all out!" I say finally making eye contact with her.

"When do you start?"

The question quite literally made me freeze. I felt the pit in my stomach just get deeper.

"That's the problem. I may or may not start on your birthday." I admit. I watch her expression not falter not even the slightest bit.

But I still felt the need to add, "But I told them I couldn't work that day!" I declared.

"What job even is it?" She asks.

"It's a caddy, a golfer assistant. I'll just be working at the country club." I explain.

"That sounds extremely boring. But also don't come back saying you've fallen in love with a fucking 80-year-old." She laughs.

"Yeah no. I'm leaving." I laugh, as I get up to leave the room.

"Love you!" Her laughter fades as I walk further from her room. "Yeah yeah," I shout.

Walking back into my dark room, my computer screen the only thing illuminating the room. And a notification sitting on the corner of the screen. I feel my heart rate start to pick up again when I realize it's the response. Holy shit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

422K 12.3K 45
When Anne's childhood friend passes away, she is inclined to read all past emails she never opened. Those emails reveal startling news that prompt h...
511 83 9
16 year old Taylor Ford wants this summer to be different. She doesn't want to live her life in her little bubble anymore. She wants to live her life...
47.8K 1.4K 38
Lilah is still reeling from the death of her father 6 months ago. However, when a charming boy named Matthew moves into the lake house next door he c...
879 201 35
Farren Sterling is living in a facade of cheerleading, fake friends and a boyfriend who is probably cheating on her instead of facing her true self w...