Rise Above

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Six months after half of life returned, two acquaintances team up to fight a group of radicals who feel life... More

Aesthetic
Epigraph
Post-Blip
April 2024
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

10

45 1 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

The four landed outside Madripoor and changed their clothes. Bucky was to be the Winter Soldier.

Sam frowned and said, "Look, we have to do something about this. We have to fix this. I'm the only one who looks like a pimp."

Zemo let out a sigh and shook his head. "Only an American would assume a fashion-forward black man looks like a pimp. You look exactly like the man you're supposed to be. The sophisticated, charming African rake named Conrad Mack, aka the Smiling Tiger."

"He even has a bad nickname."

Zemo took out a photo of Conrad and Sam looked at it before saying, "Hell, he does look a lot like me, though."

"You smell this?" Zemo asked.

"Yeah, what is that?" Sam wondered. "Acid?"

"Madripoor," Žofia replied. "No matter what happens, we have to stay in character. Our lives depend on it. There's no margin for error." A car came up to them, turned and stopped in the middle of the bridge. "High Town's that way. Not a bad place to visit, but Low Town's the other way."

Sam made his way to the other side of the car. "Let me guess. We don't have any friends in High Town."

Zemo remained silent as he climbed into the passenger seat. Žofia climbed into the back and slid to the middle. Bucky went in after Žofia, and Sam got in from the other side. As they drove to the island, it began storming.

As soon as the group reached the island, six motorcyclists drove around them; two in front, two beside, two behind. Žofia noticed guns and knives, realizing they were armed, which made sense for such a dangerous area. They pulled into a tunnel and the music grew louder as they drew closer to the bar where they planned to find Selby.

Once they got back onto the street, Bucky and Žofia walked behind Sam and Zemo. They passed people holding rifles and others participating in drug deals. They came up to a neon sign that had a purple monkey.

"Here we are," Zemo said, leading them through a crowd of people. He spoke in Russian to Bucky. "Ready to comply, Winter Soldier?"

As they walked through the crowd, people turned to look at them and someone asked, "Is that the Winter Soldier?"

The four walked up to the bar and the bartender walked up to them before saying, "Hello, gentlemen, lady." He turned to Sam. "Wasn't expecting you, Smiling Tiger."

Zemo shrugged and put his hands on the bar before replying, "His plans changed. We have business to do with Selby."

"The usual?" The bartender was still looking at Sam skeptically and Sam nodded. He took a snake out of a jar and cut it open.

Žofia smirked lightly. "Ah. Smiling Tiger, your favorite."

The bartender took out one of the snake's organs and put it in the shot glass of alcohol before placing it in front of Sam.

Sam picked up the glass and said, "I love these."

"Cheers, Conrad," Zemo and Žofia replied, clinking glasses with Sam.

Sam smelled the drink and grunted. "Mmm." He brought it to his lips to take a drink, but stopped himself. "Mmm." He decided it best to take the shot and slammed the glass down once he'd done so. Bucky gave a nod of respect. Sam gave the bartender a thumbs up.

As the bartender walked away, another man walked up to the four and said to Zemo, "I got word from on high. You ain't welcome here. Your daughter isn't preferred here either."

Zemo looked at the man before saying, "My daughter and I have no business with the Power Broker, but if he insists, he can either come and talk to us..." Zemo glanced at Bucky.

The man looked at Bucky. "New haircut?"

"Or bring Selby for a chat," Žofia and Zemo finished.

The man looked between Bucky, Žofia and Zemo before he walked away.

Bucky leaned against the bar and asked, "A power broker? Really?"

"Every kingdom needs its king," Zemo reasoned. "Let's just pray we stay under his radar."

"Do either of you know him?"

"Only by reputation," Žofia replied. "In Madripoor, he is judge, jury, and executioner." She looked around, seeing several men closing in on them.

Zemo turned to Bucky and said in Russian, "Winter Soldier. Attack."

As soon as one of the men put a hand on Zofia's shoulder, Bucky grabbed his hand, the mechanics shifting in his Vibranium arm. Bucky dragged the man to the middle of the room, then threw the man to the ground. Zemo smiled, enjoying the fight. Žofia had s small smirk. The man groaned in pain while laying on the floor. Bucky kicked another man.

Sam watched with a concerned expression. Bucky fought a couple, sending them flying through the club. Sam, Žofia and Zemo followed to watch the fight.

Zemo glanced to Sam and said, "Didn't take much for them to fall back into form." Guns cocked as Bucky pinned a man to the bar. "Stay in character or the whole bar turns on us." He walked toward Bucky before saying in Russian, "Well done, Soldier."

The bartender told the group, "Selby will see you now."

Bucky released the man he'd pinned and the man groaned before Zemo said, "Thank you." Zemo nodded and Bucky let the man slide off the bar to the floor.

Sam looked at Bucky and asked, "You good?"

Bucky exhaled sharply before following after Zemo and Žofia.

---

Zemo and Žofia led the Avengers down a hall with cages containing money, drugs, guns, and countless more illegal things. They were shown to a room where a woman with short hair was waiting.

"You should know, Baron, Lady Zemo," Selby said. "People don't just come into my bar and make demands."

"Not a demand," Zemo stated as he walked up to Selby before sitting across from her while Bucky stood against a wall."An offer."

"A lot has changed since you two were here last. By the way, I thought you were rotting away in a German prison. How did you escape?"

Zemo shrugged. "People like us always find a way, don't we? I'm sure you've already figured out what Žofia and I are here for."

Selby pointed to Sam, who was standing between the couches she, Žofia and Zemo were on. "You're taller than I'd heard, Smiling Tiger." She purred at him, then looked back at Zemo. "What's the offer?"

"Tell us what you know about the super-soldier serum." He stood, walking toward Bucky. "And I give you him, along with the code words to control him, of course. He will do anything you want." He stood next to Bucky, fiddling with Bucky's chin.

"Now that's the Zemo I remember," Selby said. "I'm glad I decided not to kill you immediately. Yeah, you were right to come to me. Arrogant, but right." Zemo sat across from Selby. "The super-soldier serum is here in Madripoor. Dr. Wilfred Nagel is the man you wanna thank. Or... condemn, depending on what side of this you're on. The Power Broker had him working on the serum, but... things didn't go as planned."

"Is Nagel still in Madripoor?" Žofia questioned.

"Oh." Selby stood. "The bread crumbs you can have for free, but the bakery is gonna cost you, Baron, Lady Zemo. And before you get all cute, don't think you can find Nagel without me." Zemo and Žofia nodded and Selby walked around the room. A phone vibrated and Sam realized it was his. He pulled the phone from his pocket and glanced at the screen. Selby turned to Sam. "Answer it. On speaker."

The phone continued buzzing as one of Selby's men walked up behind Sam who noticed and answered. "Hello?"

Sarah's voice came through the other end. "Hey, um, we need to talk about this situation. It's been... It's been drivin' me nuts."

"What situation are you talkin' about?"

"Are you high? You know what situation, it's the only situation me and you have." She continued talking to her brother as Selby walked around Bucky, looking him up and down.

"What situation, Sarah? Say it."

"The damn boat. And watch your tone. Okay? I let you slide at the bank."

Sam scoffed. "The bank. Yeah. Laundered so much mon..." He chuckled. "Yeah, they'll come around."

"If that was the case, then why'd they dog you out, Big Time?"

"Yeah, you damn right I'm Big Time. You'll see when I have that banker killed."

"Cass! What'd I tell you about the Cheerios? I don't have time for this! Sam, I'm sorry. I'll call you back."

""Sam?"" Selby repeated, tilting her head. "Who's Sam?" Selby turned to the guards. "Kill them!"

A gunshot sounded and Selby fell to the floor. Sam took out the guard while Bucky charged the guard to his left. He turned and punched the guard behind him. They grabbed the guns they could and began heading out.

As soon as they were in a doorway that was somewhat safe, Sam turned to Zemo and said, "They're gonna pin this on us."

Zemo let out a sigh, rather calm about their current situation. "We have a real problem now, so leave your weapons and follow my lead."

The four managed to make it back to the street, briskly walking so they ran less of a risk of getting caught.

Phones chimed and Zemo and Žofia said, "This is not good."

The lights went out and people began firing at them. Bucky grabbed Žofia's wrist, pulling her with him. Zemo had run off. Žofia had tried to follow her father, but in the chaos, he'd disappeared and she hadn't seen the direction he'd gone.

"Shit!" Sam yelled.

"Come on!" Bucky shouted.

Sam ran with Bucky and Žofia as he said, "I can't run in these heels!"

"Well, you need to learn now, then!" Žofia told him.

The three got off the main street and entered an alley, but were stopped by two men on motorcycles. Two gunshots sounded and the men fell to the ground.

Zemo reappeared and said, "You seem to have a guardian angel."

"Well, this is too perfect," a woman said, stepping out from the shadows. She pulled her hood back to reveal curly blonde hair as she pointed her gun at Zemo. "Drop it, Zemo."

Zemo put the gun on the ground as Bucky, Žofia and Zemo took a step forward and Bucky said, "Sharon?"

Sharon walked up to Zemo and Žofia. "You cost me everything."

"Sharon, wait," Sam said, putting a hand up. "Someone recreated the super-soldier serum and Zemo and Žofia had a lead."

"That explains why you guys are here. And Selby's dead."

"So what are you doing here?" Bucky asked, shaking his head.

"I stole Steve's shield, remember?" She moved her gun to Sam. "I also stole the wings for your asses," she pointed at Bucky, "so you could save him," she pointed back to Zemo and Žofia, "from them. Unlike you, I didn't have the Avengers to back me up." She pointed the gun at Žofia. "So I'm off the grid in Madripoor."

Žofia smiled. "You won't shoot me."

Sam shook his head. "Hey, don't blow that smoke. I was on the run, too."

"Was," Sharon corrected. "Is. Big difference. I don't speak to my family anymore. I can't. My own father doesn't know where I am."

"Listen..." Bucky said, moving closer to her. "Sharon, we need your help." Sharon chuckled. "Please."

Sharon let out a sigh, looking back at Zemo and Žofia. "This isn't over. I have a place in High Town. You'll be safe there."

Žofia was still smiling. "I shouldn't think it is. We still have to find some people."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 188 52
Elisabeth, Libby, Rogers, though being younger, always took it upon herself to look after her often sickly elder brother. A fight in an alley brings...
5.2K 83 32
Six months after everyone dusted returns, there's a new Captain America in town. Three Avengers reluctantly team up to fight against a group of radi...
953 15 29
Life hasn't been easy for Helen. But now, six months after the dusted return, she has a chance to live a normal life. Until one particular news sto...
4.5K 71 28
Half a year after all those dusted return, some still feel life was better during the difficult five years. They wish the world to be as it was. But...