"When She Woke Up"- (Newt&Tho...

By cloudyskies13569

[under major editing and re-drafting] The soft pitter-patter of footfalls on damp grass approached. She laid... More

~Playlists~
~Her Eyes~
~Slight Panic~
~"It's Calm"~
~The Bonfire~
~Skillz~
~That's A Weed~
~Got A Heart To Give~
~Stupid Gardening Tool~
~Just Keep Running~
~The Edge of Life and Death~
~The Path You Took Before~
~A Slow Recovery~
~"Fit To Be A King"~
~Winning You~
~The Time You Actually Run For Your Life~
~Author's Note~
~"That's A Griever, THAT'S A GRIEVER!!"~
~The Sacrifice~
~"MINHO, WHAT'S THE SEQUENCE?!"~
Next Book is Out!
A/N 🎉1k+ reads!!
10k+ reads!! 🤩🎉

~Newt's In Charge~

1.1K 23 31
By cloudyskies13569

"Minho snickered and leaned back in his chair. 'Man, you are one butt-load of sunshine, let me tell you.'"

James Dashner, The Maze Runner #1

・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*

You awoke in the middle of the night from probably the worst nightmare so far. You couldn't remember it after a few seconds, and you were thankful. Everyone around you looked so peaceful and you didn't want to wake anyone up.

But you got up anyways, going to a quiet spot by the doors of the maze. Eventually, the sky became shades lighter as the sun rose, and your eyes were so heavy you went to sleep. Your eyelids sighed with relief and the sudden darkness sparked images to float about your mind.

You thought of Newt and Thomas mainly. It had been about 2 months and 3 days since you first got here. But in the past 3 days, so many things have happened that you weren't sure it was that short of a time.

*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

You woke up to someone poking you in the side with their foot. They prodded a bit until your eyes fluttered open, a blue sky above you. Minho grinned down.

"Hey, sneaky, get up. We can't have you laying here while everyone else works. I think you've done enough of that," he teased.

You scowled at him but reluctantly got up. You couldn't question anything before Minho and Alby ran off into the maze. You knew for a fact that Alby was not a runner.

Newt eventually saw you walking back and ran over, trying to hide his giddiness.

At breakfast, Newt explains that he'll be busy since he's in charge for the day. Since Alby went into the maze due to Minho finding something.

*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚゚*☆*゚

After lunch, and a nice meal. You headed back to the med-jack hut. Gally was right about the builders always hammering their fingers instead of the nails after all.

Right as you reached the small building, it started raining. You needed to clean up the med-jack hut quickly. You placed all the bandages, gauze, tools, and other supplies away in drawers. The rain became heavier and you soon realized you needed to get to the Homestead.

Newt's POV:

"She's going to be alright, okay?" I said. Thomas was giving me a headache and all these bloody shanks asking where Alby was were not helping at all.

"But what if-" Thomas started but I held up my hand to silence him. We all stood and watched the rain in complete silence.

I was worried too of course, though I didn't want to be. It's just because she's a girl. I keep telling myself that but I'm not sure it excuses this behavior. What the heck? Did I like her actually? No, that's definitely not it.

I was sure she was going to make it back, and so would Alby and Minho.

A rumble of thunder sounded through the glade. That broke me out of my thoughts. Chuck pointed towards the med-jack hut and I sighed in relief. Y/N was there running towards us.

Your POV:

The ground's so slippery! C'mon, I just need to make it to the Homestead! Or maybe... You thought.

Sure you could run fast, but the rain had made the ground extra slick and one bad step could send you crumbling to the ground.

You saw Chuck point at you and Newt look over. Newt helps you get under the Homestead roof. You're soaking wet and wring out the bottom of your shirt and your hair. It made your hands even colder though. Despite this, you stepped back into the rain letting the cold droplets wash over you.

"y/n, what are you doing?" Newt asked with a hint of fear.

You motioned for him to come with you and you began twirling around in the rain. You danced a little bit and laughed. Newt hesitantly stepped out into the rain and you laughed some more at him when his hair stuck to his forehead and his clothes were matted down.

"Will you dance with me?" Newt asks, bowing to you. You whispered a soft 'yes' and placed you hand on Newt's outstretched one. The energy in that moment was contagious. Thomas watched from the sidelines with a pang of hurt in his heart.

The joy you had from it though, could lift worlds. You sidestepped as Newt led you. One of your arms was on his shoulder and the other held his hand up. His arm was slung around your waist and greeted the small of your back as he folded his fingers over yours in an attempt to hold on even when soaked in the rain. It was perfect as you and him stared at each other and danced a bit more before you broke down laughing and then realized how cold it actually was. You ran underneath the homestead's roof, wet footprints trailing you.

Some of the gladers whooped and laughed, patting Newt on the back after your small show. He just laughed it off and helped everyone else ward of the cold.

Everyone was there, so people tried to find clothes and blankets and makeshift blankets out of old hammocks to keep everyone warm. It was like a nice spring rain, but some people were wet and freezing, you and Newt included.

Gally sat down beside you, you were wrapped up in an odd patchwork blanket. He pulled you into his lap as he sat cross-legged. The two of you are like brother and sister already. Neither of you felt anything romantic toward each other, but having a sibling-like person to love in the glade was a comforting thing.

Chuck sat down next to the pile of what was you and Gally.

"Turn your back towards me, Y/N," Chuck said.

You complied and faced your back towards him. Then you felt curious hands play with your hair.

"Don't worry I'm just braiding it." He reassured and you nodded silently.

After a bit, you put your hand up and patted your hair down, a neat dutch braid was put in place on one side and you could tell he was working on the other so you put your hand down making sure not to mess it up.

He finished and your hair felt so nice. Then, he scooted around to face you and pulled some strands out in the front. (not Chuck being a hairstylist)

You wondered how he knew how to braid. Soon figuring it out when Chuck pulled a little wooden figure from his pocket. He handed it to you, saying he carved it for when he met his parents again but that you already felt like family to him.

You tried your best to give it back. Eventually getting your way.

"Y/N! Your hands are so cold!" Chuck gasped.

You looked down at your hands, seeing them a light pink and feeling very cold indeed.

"Are they okay?" Newt asks as he walks over, crouching down in front of you.

You nodded but Newt still grabbed your hands and held them close to his chest. He desperately tried to warm them up for you. It was the only part of you he could hold with still being reasonable at the moment. After all, you were stuck in Gally's lap with his arms anchored around your waist. Well... the difference was that Newt's actions sent a peculiar feeling spiraling through you, like little flutters.

Gally glared at Newt like an overprotective brother but didn't really say anything other than that Chuck had done a good job and your hair looked nice.

A couple of the other gladers glanced over when Chuck yelled a bit at your freezing fingers, but no one seemed too bothered. And just like that, you were enveloped in warmth. You fell asleep. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of Minho and Alby. Hopefully some good news later, you thought before drifting off.

・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*

1372 words~

A little shorter and also kinda a filler chapter for what's coming next.

QOTD: What's your all-time favorite movie?

I'm sorry but I absolutely love Dr. Strange and with the new one out (which I haven't seen, no spoilers!!) I'm super excited!! ✨❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 707 24
What to expect here: ✅ Mickey ✅ Magic ✅ Madness Participate in one of WattpadDisney's contests! Photosensitivity Warning: Please note, contest chapte...
1.2M 47.3K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
85.7K 2.1K 25
You and Edmund Pevensie have had a long history of not so pleasant events, hes always made fun of you in school when you were young. When you moved y...
7.2K 548 28
Hate to love there blooms the true love!! - This is theory of love from centuries. Ishraa Ram the beautiful fun loving girl but can be sassy at tim...