Red Princess

By OctoberBloom

Black Knight Book 2 Can love find its way back to the person who longs for it? Five years have passed since t... More

Prologue: Fords' Greatest Treasure
41. A Cruel Twist
42. Turned Tables
43. Like a Mirror
44. Another Knight
45. More than an Imposter
46. Failed Intrusion
47. Hell Hath no Fury
48. Tough Love
49. On the brink of death
50. Under Influence
51. Of Royal Descent
52. You Failed
53. Friends?
54. Festering Desire
Seydon's Birthday Special - If I had met you first
55. Breaking In
56. Father and Son
57. The Curse of Love
58. Encounter
59. Pretend Couple
Extra Chapter - From a Father to his Daughter
60. Once in a Lifetime
61. Assassin 101 - The Kissing Tactic
62. Forbidden Love
63. The Trolley Tragedy
64. Double-edged Swords
65. The Wrong Side
66. The Lie He Believes
67. Step over to my side
68. A Love beyond the Ordinary
69. Misplaced Trust
71. Act of True Love
72. Keep your enemies closer
Extra Chapter 72.1 - My Dear Sey
Extra Chapter 72.2 - To Kaidon
73. Labyrinth
74. To Foam
75. Hope
76. Love Hurts, Love Heals
77. A.K. Forever
78. For the Future that I'll Never See
79. Reunion
Extra chapter 79.1 - The Birthday Boy gets to be the Banker!
Extra Chapter 79.2 - Random Prompt Generator!
80. Shattered Illusion
81. Just the Two of Us

70. The woman we forgot

172 15 8
By OctoberBloom

Alex

"The sibling test was negative. The two samples are not related. The attached report..."

It's not Alice's sample. It's been tampered with.

"... I got the results for that pill you got me. Where did you get it from, Alex? It's not something in the market. It's a pigment, something like melanin. We are not exactly sure of the composition yet, but it's programmed to target hair... it gives a reddish crimson colour..."

A permanent disguise to hide the truth.

"Where are you? We need to talk."

"I am at the bar. What is it a-"

Click.

I hung up. I marched outside my home, ignoring my father in the living room. My mind went numb after the last call. To say I was livid would be an understatement. I was at a point where my brain feared to acknowledge the fury. Like applying duct tape to a hole in a large tank, I was barely keeping myself together, waiting for the moment when all hell breaks loose. A million theories had fought in my mind until this moment. No more. It was time for the truth.

I pulled up along the curb, my body jerking ahead when I stepped on the break. I climbed out and shut the door with a loud thud. The lights inside the bar were dimmed, and the music was reduced to a simmer. My eyes scanned through the crowd for the silver-haired motherfucker. When I spotted him, my knuckles balled up into fists on my sides. Every step I took closer to him felt heavier than the last one. Blood rushed to my face, and my body was trembling, shaking from all the anger I had locked within.

I almost barked at him but then noticed Kaidon beside. My eyes moved back and forth between the two, considering my next move. I approached their booth, my gaze locked on the man I had never trusted, and rightly so.

His gaze met with mine, and I let him take a peek into my brain. "I know you can hear me. You and me, out, now. You can comply, or I'll make you."

He shot me a puzzled look but then lifted himself up from the couch and followed after me. The cold air pricked my cheeks as soon as we stepped outside, but the wrath within me was enough to melt away the chill. I slid into a dark alley, and he followed in, his eyes wandering around.

"What is the matter w-"

I jabbed my elbow into his throat and pinned him to the wall. He grunted, clearly caught off-guard.

"What the-" he coughed and tried to push me away, but I pressed him in further. The adrenaline pumping in my veins gave me the extra strength I needed to overtake him. I curled my fingers into a fist and then held it in the air, a few inches away from his eye.

"Every wrong answer will earn you a punch to your pretty face."

"Alex-"

"Wrong!" I pulled back my fist and then shoved it into his face. His jaw turned with the force, and his cheek turned a dark shade of red.

"What the-"

"Wrong again!" I prepared to hurl another punch at him, but he pushed me away and then bent down to cough harder.

"Are you high?" He didn't attempt to fight back, but his gaze held restrained anger. I didn't care in the least. If I didn't like his answers tonight, only one of us would be going back home alive.

"You replaced the DNA sample of Alice they are carrying!"

I didn't ask him. I accused him because I knew it was him. There was no one else who had the power or authority. Kaidon had been such an idiot all this time to trust this silver-tongued bastard!

His silence was all the evidence I needed.

"The pills she takes, they are no anxiety medicines! They are a disguise so that she can be labelled as Ariel!"

The moment she had mentioned that Seydon got her those, I knew something was wrong. My gut told me it wasn't beneath him to play dirty, to trick her, to trick us all.

He pinched the bridge between his nose, the silence hanging heavily between us like a fishbone stuck in the food pipe. His fingers ran through his hair, and I knew he had no more excuses up his sleeve. I had outsmarted him. He couldn't hide it anymore.

"Look, Alex-"

I jabbed another punch to his face, drawing blood out the corner of his lip. Before I had time to process, his hand flung towards me, and his fist met with my jaw, knocking me down. Livid with his retaliation, I jolted ahead and grabbed the collar of his shirt, shoving him against the wall.

"You motherfucking piece of-"

"Listen to me!"

"No! You listen to me!" My breathing escalated, every breath heaving out as a growl. I despised him. I despised his face, his guts, and every cell of his being. I wanted to do the same to him- take his one person away from him the way he did to all of us, but the sad irony was he had only my sister. This selfish fucking bastard played dirty, and I was going to make him pay for it. "You took my sister away from me! And then you had the nerve to get engaged to her! You are at the top of my hit list now, Seydon Cross. And the death I'll give you won't come easy."

"Will you hear me out?"

My finger poking him on his chest curled away, and I turned, not wanting to breathe the same air as him. Just the sight of his face had my stomach turning in disgust. He knew how I suffered. I was estranged from my father after I learned the truth. I couldn't get close to Rihanna because I had to protect her. Kaidon was out wailing in his misery on some suicide mission. Even having witnessed all that didn't make him pity me enough to tell me the truth.

"I am calling out this ruse, and then I'll watch as every single person you admire spits on your soul, including my sister!"

I turned on my heel, my feet heavy to lift with the weight of the truth and contempt I held for him.

"Your sister asked me to do it."

What?

I halted in my trail, processing the words he just used, wondering if I heard it right. I wouldn't put it beyond Seydon to lie again so that he could keep the ruse going longer. Regardless, I turned back to him, curious what more did he have in store for me. How low he could get.

"That day... five years ago... she called me. She asked me to make her disappear from Kaidon's life."

She had called me the night before and told me she'd come to see me. Her voice had cracked on the phone, but I thought it was the network. I didn't realise she had broken up with Kaidon. Only when I discovered the house empty did I realise she was planning to move away. I had hated Kaidon since that day, not because he didn't protect her, but because he let her go. Kaidon was an idiot, but my sister was an even bigger fool. She always had this dumb sense of responsibility that she owed to people and had to look after them. She never let anyone care for her, or spoil her; she always took it upon herself to help others, even if that meant her own heart crushed under the weight.

I had loathed him because he didn't hold her hand. He didn't recognise that stupid tendency of hers. He always blindly believed whatever she said. He hadn't been selfish. He didn't hold her against her will. I detested him because he was as selfless an idiot as my sister was.

"You are saying she intentionally deceived us all this time?"

He shook his head, his hands easing the wrinkles on his clothes. The entire street was lathered in silence and cold as if reflecting the emotions I felt inside my heart. I crossed my arms over my chest as I waited patiently for him to give me an explanation.

"I am not sure what happened-"

"That's it. We're done!" I scoffed as I turned my head away from him. What was I exactly expecting of him? He was clearly making it up.

"Trust me; I am not lying right now."

"Trust you?" The hint of sarcasm couldn't be missed in my voice.

He didn't avert his gaze from me, his eyes laced with sincerity. It was only for a brief moment, but I got a glimpse of his heart, a dent in his armour when his eyes bared his soul to me. He looked innocent, as if he was as confused as I was. My brain told me to walk away, but my heart asked me to hear his words.

When I didn't protest, he continued, "I was waiting for her at the airport. I honestly don't remember what happened exactly. Perhaps I got a text or a phone call. I don't know. All I remember is that I drove to a place, a cliff outside the city, and when I looked down, there was a car up in flames at the bottom. I don't know who told me, but I knew it was Alice down there, and I rushed."

He doesn't remember?

He sounded too genuine to be lying. If he were, he deserved an Oscar for his acting skills.

Suddenly it hit me- Riannon.

Riannon could have made it happen. She had disappeared from everyone's memories without a trace. Seydon could have been no exception to that.

Now his words seemed more reasonable to me. Despite the absurdity of his story, he was relaying it out to me, hoping I'd believe it. And I found myself believing it because it was the truth.

"I was panicking... hoping it wasn't her, and then when I reached that place, I saw Alice unconscious at a little distance from the car. I won't lie, she was severely injured, but it didn't look like she had suffered any burns. It was as if someone pulled her out of the car before it exploded. That was when I noticed another body in the car. The face was burned beyond recognition. We tried to match her DNA in our records, and it turned out it was Alice's."

"What the-"

"I am not lying! I didn't set that up! I couldn't believe it myself because Alice was right before my eyes, alive and breathing, and when she woke up, she didn't remember a single thing about herself."

The weight of the truth seemed so palpable, I found myself reaching out to the edge of the wall to maintain my balance. I crouched down on the floor, my mind blank with that revelation.

"Your grandfather Ford was there. He was the one who got her the new identity."

"The entire Ford family is in on this?" I blurted out, unable to keep the surprise out of my voice. "Why?"

"Because... Ariel was a real person. She died a few years ago. Ford wanted to protect his granddaughter, so he decided to give her that identity. People were after her, and if she appeared unscathed out of the blue, she would have been in danger all over again. We needed to hide her. I just chose whatever option was available to me then."

"And you didn't think in the slightest it was necessary to inform her family about it? Inform Kaidon?" Despite the complexity of the situation, I couldn't keep the rage out of my voice. I was seething with resentment against him for having ever trusted him in the slightest.

"She wanted to get away from him. She asked me for that, I didn't. We needed people to believe she was dead. Without you and him desperately trying to find her killers, it would have been impossible! I did whatever I had to do to protect her," His palm slapped his chest as the guilty expression in his eyes turned to conviction. "I trained her. I made her strong, confident; I moulded her into a fierce weapon against our enemies. She doesn't need saving anymore! You can think whatever you want, but I am not going to apologise for that. None of you could have done a better job than I did."

Even though I always disliked Seydon for his deceitful nature, somewhere deep down, I acknowledged that she needed someone like him. It didn't necessarily have to be a romantic relationship, but she needed him to help her break out of her cocoon. Father always hid her, Kaidon treated her like a fragile piece of artwork, and I was always licking my wounds. Despite all the betrayal and lies he weaved, I couldn't deny that he turned her into a formidable woman.

I sat down with my back to the wall, my knees bent before me. My elbows rested against my thighs while I massaged my temple.

"We need to tell him. He is miserable."

"And what do you think will that achieve? She doesn't remember anything! Believe me, I tried all treatments. Therapy, medicines, hypnotism, I even took her to the scene of the accident, for Christ's sake!" His frame mirrored mine as he slid down on the floor opposite me. "I won't lie. I prayed, I fucking prayed that she doesn't remember when she sees Kaidon again, and she didn't. But seeing my brother suffer like that every day, seeing her inability to love me back, I can't help but hope her memory does return one day. For her sake. For my brother's sake. But until that happens, it's going to be pointless. I need to know if she is prepared to go back to him. It's not our decision to make, Alex."

"This is sick!" I cursed as I sucked in a breath. "You are asking me to ignore my sister!" Hot tears burned behind my eyelids, threatening to spill at the drop of a hat. I was happy she lived, but I needed to keep her safe. I needed to honour her wishes. That meant I could not recognise her as my sister. I couldn't see her every day or greet her with more than a 'hello'.

"The Fords are tough enemies, Alex. We wouldn't want to go about antagonising them. When they offered the identity for her, they made it clear that I could not reveal it to anyone, at least not until she remembers it herself. It could kill her mother! Gianna Ford. She took her daughter's death hard. She believes Alice is her daughter, and if we take that away, who knows what will happen to her!"

Aunt Gianna was a kind soul. I knew Ariel loved her more than anything in this world. I doubt the love would reduce if the truth is revealed. The only thing we'll do is hurt that poor mother.

"Fuck!" The word left my mouth like a bullet from a gun. I had the urge to break something, tear things off because I needed an outlet for my rage. "We need to get this over with. We need to find that woman, Riannon! I can't think of anyone other than her who could have staged it all!"

Seydon's eyes narrowed at me, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Who?"

I squeezed my eyes with my thumb and forefinger. I hated that woman. She disappeared like the wind. Why did she leave only me with the memories? Why couldn't she have wiped them off from my head too? I wouldn't have had to live with the burden then.

I wouldn't know where to start then either.

"She was this woman with the power to wipe off memories," I mumbled. "She was a Cross."

"What?" He screeched, his voice echoing in the dark alleyway, but the streets were empty with no one to hear our conversation. "How do I not know about this? Oh right... wiping memories... makes sense... was she from a different family?"

I lowered the hand hiding my face, and looked him straight in the eye as I answered. "She was Rihanna's sister."

His face contorted into a puzzled expression. He didn't try to hide the fact that the math didn't add up right. He opened his mouth, probably to ask, and I answered before he could voice out his doubt. "My guess is as best as yours."

"This is such a nightmare!" It was Seydon's turn to go through a meltdown. "I just want to go on a vacation and never come back. When this all gets over-, if this all gets over, I am taking a long break."

I chuckled, my mind agreeing with his words. Every day was a challenge, but tonight was especially demanding. If I could get a day off all this bullshit, I'd take Rihanna on a long drive. The day this is over, I'll surrender myself to her.

My thoughts spiralled back to my sister. I wanted to see her again, I wanted to talk to her, treat her better. I had never been polite to her in my life, but just for tonight, I wanted to make her smile. I wouldn't even mind getting scolded by her.

I didn't notice when the tears sprang down my cheeks, and my nose dripped when I let a breath out. A folded handkerchief landed on my face out of thin air. I shot up my gaze and noticed Seydon chuckling. "Your sister's alive, and you got to throw punches on my face. This should be your best night so far."

"Shut up, asshole!" I crumpled the silky piece of fabric and tossed it back to his face. "I may have been understanding, but the day Kaidon learns, you are gonna end up dead. Better be prepared for that because I sure as hell won't hold him back."

He chuckled again like a madman, but I knew the thought must have tortured him. Now I could understand why he broke off the engagement- why he pushed her off to Kaidon. He loved my sister as much as he loved his brother but decided to choose him over her.

"How are we going to find this memory-erasing woman?" He whispered, his voice laced with sincerity.

"I have no fucking clue! Even Rihanna doesn't remember shit!"

His gaze dropped to something at a distance. He was probably considering alternatives. He would have connections that I wouldn't. It was better to leave this to him.

"My uncle... Eldon Cross... We'll have to find someone who knew him. Who was a part of his life after he left the order."

I got cornered by Kaidon as soon as we stepped back inside the bar. He looked like a mess, and he probably didn't even notice the bruise on my jaw from Seydon's fist.

"Ariel is drunk."

And...?

"She is rambling on about hair products!" He grumbled.

Fuck!

I mentally facepalmed when the realisation hit me hard in the gut like a tank colliding with a wall.

Does she still ramble on that nonsense?

"That...It's a Ford thing. All Fords talk about hair. They are obsessed." I tried to sound as convincing as possible. I hated to agree with Seydon, but he was right. It would make absolutely no sense to tell him the truth until Alice regained her memories.

"They do...?"

"I do it all the time. We even caught Griffin mumbling about his hair once."

I had a sinking feeling in my stomach as I lied to him. We were a team, but apparently, Seydon was my new teammate. As much as I wanted to tell him the truth, my sister came first for me.

We spent the next one-hour drinking and chatting. My eyes kept gliding back towards my sister. I smiled at whatever she said. My mind studied her features, the subtle things that had changed over the last few years. She became prettier and stronger; she changed for the better - obviously not something I would ever admit to her, but my heart swelled in pride. She survived and retained her cheerful nature despite all the bullshit she faced. I was proud to be her younger brother.

When it was time to leave, and she turned away from my sight, my hand instinctively reached out to hold her back. I felt like she would go, and I wouldn't get to see her again, and the mere thought troubled me. It wasn't something I intended to do, but once the bullet was out of the barrel, there was no going back.

"Let me drop her. I'll bring her home."

Kaidon's intent stare didn't give away his thoughts. But the long pause he took before responding to me was all the answer I needed. He was suspicious. I wanted to give a better excuse, but the thought of meeting my sister again made me numb.

"Oh... Alex!"

Alice-Ariel- I needed to make sure I didn't give her away- she yanked on my hair, making me remember all the times we fought as kids. "Do you want some hair tips from me?" She staggered from left to right, and I let her lean against my chest.

"I want to talk to her about something. About Rihanna."

"She doesn't look like she is in a state to have a logical conversation right now."

I couldn't hide my disappointment. I wanted it bad. I wanted to spend just a few hours with her to make up for the shitty things I had ever said to her. Her loss had made me realise how much I needed her in my life. "Kaidon... Please..."

"Alex, are you hiding something from me?"

He knows. He fucking knows!

I looked at her. I felt her warm breath through my shirt as she sighed. I had over a foot of height on her now, unlike five years back. I was more than capable of protecting her, not that she needed me, but I still felt a sense of relief flutter through my veins at the thought of being stronger. It sucked to be weak, to be a child.

"No... I am not." I helped her to the passenger seat of my car. Something made me stop on my track, and I turned around to add, not sure if it would have the intended effect or if I would make things worse. "I got that test done again. You were right. It wasn't a match."

"Sure."

I couldn't pinpoint if he genuinely believed me or had reservations. I couldn't read his emotions anymore. At that moment, I felt like the thread connecting us snapped. It was like a tacit understanding that we wouldn't be partners anymore.

But I didn't care. I had my family back.

Author's Notes: Thoughts, anyone? I feel like I have been writing too fast, but I hope I am not coming out as rushed, am I? That's the last thing I want for this book. Anyway, I have started working on another story which I'll post once this is done. I hope I can get some support on that too!

Also, please feel free to point out any incoherent thoughts in this chapter so that I can correct them later. It's 2 AM in the morning here, and I couldn't sleep until I had completed this chapter. I could have made mistakes XD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 17.5K 51
One comes from royalty, and one comes from poverty. Yet the same shadows follow them everywhere, leading them right to each other and their destiny. ...
110K 12.1K 63
(BOOK #2 in the Secrets of Aristol series.) It's almost been three months since Elouise's birthday. Although she's kept herself distracted by Beatric...
2.2K 127 32
Vengeance. It is one of the most hazardous addiction. Burning in the flames of vengeance doesn't happen on its own, it's requires a reason or in the...