Just Revenge (#1)

By lovebirds15

I looked at his eyes and put up a strong face. His eyes bore into mine as much as mine into his. It was like... More

Story Details
The Heartbreak
The Blackmail
The Torture Period
The Womanizer
The She-Devil
The Hospital
The Challenge Accepted
The Old Friend
The Difficult Client
The Argument
The Saturday Night
The Angry Boss
The Friend's Advice
The New Secretary
The Two Rooms
The Bet
The Best Birthday Ever
The Mandatory Shopping
The Because
The Fear of Losing
The Changed Man
The Wife
The Sister
The Complete Story
The Back to Normal
The Duke's Party
The Amelia Lawson
The Mistake
The Special Squad
The Night Before
The Break-In
The Sweet Revenge
The Dinner Plan
The Knocking Sense
The Pretending
The Most Awaited Moment
The Epilogue
Author's Note
New Book
Missing Them

The Annual Function

11.2K 378 99
By lovebirds15

Amy

I looked at myself in the mirror one last time before leaving the room. Tonight was the annual function and I was getting ready for the party. The dress was looking really pretty and I had paired it with rose gold heels. I wore diamond studs and had a watch on my wrist. I had pinned my long hair in a french knot. I had applied a light make up and looked simple yet elegant. Just the way I like it.

I smiled and decided to go and wait in the living room. Just as I opened the door of my bedroom, Aaron opened his door too. His eyes fell on me as my fell on him. I blinked as I looked at him. He looked devilishly handsome. His perfect jawline was covered with a light subtle. He was not wearing his spectacles today and his freshly gelled hair looked amazing.

He kept staring at me making me slightly uncomfortable. I gulped and walked out asking with confusion, "What?"

He just shook his head and continued staring at me walking out of his room.

What's wrong? Is there something on my face? I did double check when I got out though.

I pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and averted my eyes slightly before looking at him again. My eyes widened in shock as I realized something.

"You are wearing a black suit?" I asked him with shock before I could stop myself.

"No, I am wearing pink", he said sarcastically rolling his eyes.

"Well, your friend did say you should go for blue", I shrugged.

"Thousands of people tell me millions of things everyday. If I start to follow all their advices, I will be on streets in no matter of time", he scoffed.

"Then, what was all that 'Of course' , 'Definitely', 'I agree', 'You are always right' on the cash counter?" I asked imitating him.

"I do what I want to. But, that doesn't mean I have to announce it to them", Aaron snorted and I rolled my eyes.

I was smiling slightly on the inside. I don't know why but I felt like laughing. Poor Grace. She thinks Aaron listened to her. What was it again? You will break hearts in blue. Tomorrow's news will break her heart.

"Stop grinning", Aaron said making me purse my lips. "Aren't you getting late? H..How are you going? Cab?" he asked slowly.

"No, actually. Luke's picking me up", I shrugged.

He gave me a nod, "Right. Your long lost friend."

"You can leave if you want though. I have my keys. I'll lock the house. He will be here any minute", I said.

"What makes you think that I am waiting for you? I just have some work", he said and sat down on the couch playing a game on his cell phone.

Seriously? Playing a game on his phone is his work? It is his company's party. He is the host. Ideally, he should reach early. But, he is also the CEO. So, his wish.

I just shrugged and texted Luke.

"You've worn heels again? I swear this time if you fall, I won't be there to catch you", Aaron said again.

"These are the platform ones. I'll manage", I glared at him. Why is he trying to make small talk?

"You bought new ones?" he asked.

"Old or new. How does it matter to you?" I asked getting frustrated. I am done with him.

"Just saying don't fall", Aaron shrugged.

"Even if I fall, how does it matter to you?" I asked him angrily.

"Of course, it matters", he said.

"Why? Why does it matter?"

"Well, I..." he just trailed off as usual.

Why is he acting like this? For the last one week, Aaron's demeanor has changed. He shouts less and talks more like he cares. Two days ago he even asked me if I slept well. What is going on with him? I am sure some days later he will again have his mood swinging and he will yell at me for no reason. I am not going to get lured this time.

Before either of us could say anything further, my cell rang. It was obviously Luke.

"Luke?" I asked picking up.

"Hey, Amy. I am downstairs already. Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yes, I am all done. I will come right away", I told him as I hanged up.

I grabbed my purse and keys and left the house without giving Aaron a second glance. I took the lift and went downstairs. I went to the main gate and out to see Luke's car already waiting for me.

"Hey, beautiful", Luke smiled as I got in.

"Hey, handsome", I told him as we hit the road.

"I am sure Aaron must have had a heart attack", Luke laughed.

"Really? You think? He didn't even say anything. Just kept staring at my face", I said rolling at my eyes.

"Ah, so he was too mesmerised to even talk", Luke winked at me.

"Luke, stop it, okay? There is nothing like that between us. He hates me and I hate him", I told him angrily.

"If you say so", he shrugged casually.

"No, dude. How many times do I have to tell you? I mean everything else he did since our marriage was okay. Making me run around, disrupting my sleep, cooking and cleaning, that is not something I would hate him for. The blackmailing, I can understand. He had to keep me there somehow if he wanted to succeed in his Mission Revenge. But, cheating? I cannot let go of it. Every time we are close to each other, I recall him with Jasmine or Ruby. I see Jasmine, with her minions from school, laughing at me. Laughing at how pathetic I am that no one loves me. I trusted Aaron that he would never do something if I would tell him that it would hurt me. I am unable to trust him anymore after those three weeks. I don't think I can let go of it even if somehow the reason behind his revenge turns out to be something massively heart wrecking. Love can't exist without trust", I told him feeling slightly sad.

"Fine, fine. Let's talk about something else, okay?" he said raising his hands in surrender.

"Yes, let's talk about your promise. You remember it, right?" I asked smiling again.

"Yes, the secret. It is not that juicy, okay? You will know by the end of the night", Luke smiled.

"Finally!" I exclaimed.

Soon, we reached the venue and we got out of the car. It was a really porsche place. The cars lined up for valet parking looked extremely expensive. All executive style.

As we went inside, we reached the hall. There were so many people. Some were from our company, some were business partners and some were clients. Everyone person in suit was wearing nothing less that Armani. The room was shining due to the expensive jewelleries and bags that the women carried. If it didn't have the noise of the chitter and chatter, i would have really felt out of place.

"This room screams money", Luke whispered.

"Yes, I feel like we have to act really professional tonight", I whispered to him.

"That's not true. There is going to be dance and stuff too. These people maybe porsche but they are humans too and this is a party", Luke told me.

"There are so many people here", I told him looking around.

"Yeah, and to think of it they are all employees in New York office or business associates. Thank god, plus ones weren't allowed tonight else, it would have been pack in here. I guess we are over a thousand already", Luke told me.

"Oh, there you both are!" one of our colleagues waved at us.

"Oh no!" I whispered to Luke. "I swear if they start again..."

"It's okay, Amy" Luke chuckled as he pulled me along as he walked to them.

"I swear your friends are blind, Luke. They think something will happen between us. I mean seriously? Me and you? Firstly, I am married and I have a ring on my finger right now. They are unable to see it? Secondly, -"

"You two are together again", a girl said suggestively.

"We came together", Luke said and I glared at him slightly. Why did he have to say that?

"Of course, you did. You guys are always sticking together", Jason said.

Before I could reply, suddenly, everyone around us went extremely quiet and started hustling. I turned around to see that Aaron had walked in. Of course, that explains it all. The CEO just walked in.

The way he walked in with long strides and people tailing behind him, you could smell the authority from anywhere in the room. There was smile on his face as people around greeted him and yet he reeked of arrogance. He had a welcoming behaviour and yet, everything about his way said that he was in control.

"He is so handsome", Stacy said behind us.

"I wonder if his wife came in today", someone else spoke and I shifted my weight on the other feet.

"I really want to see her too. I mean I think she must be really pretty if he fell for her", Stacy said.

"I think she must be very snobbish. Hence, she never appears anywhere. She think she is too good for everyone", some guy said.

"I think she is just shy."

I looked at Luke and he looked back at me. We shared a sly smile. This was so funny. They were talking about me and had no idea.

"Hello, everyone", Aaron's voice made me look around to search for him. He was talking over the mic. Everyone greeted him in unison.

"Welcome to the seventh annual celebration of Kingston Designs", he said and everyone cheered. "Yeah, it's been a long time. I was twenty-one when I took over this company from my dad. We were just a small firm back then. We were known in only ten states and our headquarter was a small building in Nashville. In the last seven years, we have grown to become the best company in the continent and expanded to five other countries in Asia and recently started in Europe. We have covered a long way but we still have a long way to go. So, keep working hard. Now, no your CEO is not going to bore you to death tonight with his speech", Aaron said making everyone laugh.

Aaron continued, "Neither am I going to talk more about work. Tonight is for celebration and I will let you all celebrate your hard work. For the people who want to discuss business, there are tables and lounges upstairs. For the drinkers, there is the bar. Anyone who wants to take fresh air, there is a patio and a beautiful garden outside and for the party people, there is DJ. The food is for everyone though. So, make sure you leave some for others. Just a few special mentions before I let you all go. Thanks to the board of directors for letting me take the necessary risks. Thanks to my parents for supporting me. Thanks to all of you my employees for working so hard and getting us here and thanks to my brother for being who he is. Lastly, but not the least, thanks to my dear wife, Amelia Kingston."

It is for show, Amy. He doesn't mean it. I reassured myself as my heart skipped a beat. I don't know if it was a coincidence but as soon as he said that, he looked at me straight in the eye. It had to be a coincidence. There are at least a thousand people here. How can he spot me in so many people?

Everyone clapped as he was done with his speech. Aaron gave the mic back to the manager and everyone soon dispersed into their own groups. The music started playing and some people started dancing.

"I wanna go talk to him. He is something I really look upto", Jason said.

"Me too. We wouldn't get this chance again", Stacy said.

Some people went to see Aaron while Luke and I started talking to others about random stuff. After a while, I was done talking and eating. I was waiting silently in a corner and looked around. The party was in full swing. Everyone was laughing and enjoying. Luke was lost again. I noticed Daniel had also come to the party and was talking or more like flirting with a girl. Aaron was on the opposite side of the hall surrounded by people. So many people had so much to say to him.

"Amy, where were you? I was looking for you", Luke said appearing in front of me.

"Looking for me? I was searching for you since last hour", I told him.

"Well, I was busy mingling around with people unlike you who is standing here. Anyways, do you wanna dance?" he asked me.

"Sure", I smiled and took his hand.

We walked to the dance floor. We started dancing and mixed with other people dancing in groups until eventually the song changed to a slow romantic one. Everyone started dancing in pairs. Some people left the dance floor. I decided to get off the floor too. I turned to leave but Luke stopped me.

I looked at him with question.

"Dance with me. Just like in high school", Luke said pulling me closer.

I smiled, "Just like in high school."

I never had a boyfriend in high school. I was a wallflower back then too. So, even back then, in parties and prom nights, I used to be left alone. So, every time there was a slow romantic song played, Luke and I would dance with each other. I smiled as the memories flew back.

We started dancing and laughed at how we were still bad at this. The song ended soon but, the next song was a similar one so we just continued.

"Amy, why is...I mean...have you ever...." Luke spoke after a few seconds as we continued dancing.

"Hmm?" I looked at him smiling to notice that he was looking at something behind me and frowning slightly.

"Wait a minute. Amy, does Aaron know that I am gay?" Luke tilted his head slightly to look at me.

"Umm...I don't know. I have never told him though. Why?" I asked frowning.

Luke chuckled and said, "Promise me that if tomorrow morning you find my dead body, you will let the police know that it was your husband."

"What nonsense! Aaron could never kill someone", I said frowning at him.

"He is definitely planning my murder right now though", Luke laughed.

"Why?" I asked with confusion.

"Well, you know..." Luke gave me a pointed look, which then turned into a shocked look as he noticed the confusionon my face.

"Seriously, Amy?"

"What?"

"Your husband is jealous as hell, girl. He is burning with rage as we speak," Luke almost shouted at me.

It took exactly five seconds for his words to register in my head before I burst out laughing.

"Oh...oh my. You are kidding, right?" I asked Luke, catching my breath.

"No, I am not. I have been noticing it for a couple of days. At first, I thought I was mistaken too because, well, it is not possible for me to like you like that. But, now that you are telling me he doesn't know, I think he thinks like everyone else too," Luke said.

"Luke, even if he thinks like that, he can't be jealous. Aaron never gets jealous. Besides, he doesn't care what I do", I argued.

"Well, look for yourself", Luke said and turned us around so that now I could see Aaron and Luke's back was facing Aaron.

"You are delusional, Luke. Aaron isn't even looking at us. He is busy talking to the man in front of him. In fact, his back is facing us", I told Luke rolling my eyes.

"Oh god! Amy, you still can't read people, can you?" Luke said shaking his head at me.

"Now, listen to me and look carefully. Aaron is a businessman, Amy. These men never show their true feelings on their face. He has to be cryptic about it. So, obviously his expressions will never give away what he is thinking. Observe his body though. Look at how tightly he is holding that glass in his hand. Don't look straight away. But, if you hover your eyes over the mirror in front of him, you will notice he is looking at us from there."

True to his words, indeed Aaron was looking at us from afar. He was smiling and talking to the man yes but, everytime he nodded or spoke, he subtly shifted his gaze to the mirror and kept an eye on us. His grip was so tight that I thought the glass would break any minute.

"He has a smiling face, but look at his jaw. It is clenched as hell. He is really angry. I am sure if you go and see him from closer, you will see his eyes burning with fire," Luke continued.

I didn't respond as my heart started beating faster. A shiver ran down my spine as I observed Aaron more. Aaron was indeed jealous. He did not like this at all.

"No, Luke. I think we are mistaken. I mean, if he is jealous, he would try to cut in, right? He would do something about it," I argued even though somewhere I believed that he was right.

"I can prove it to you that he is on the verge of walking to us and punching me on the face. Wanna bet?" Luke asked.

When I didn't respond, Luke pulled me closer and whispered in my ear, "Laugh like I told you some amazing joke. Just think of something funny and laugh."

I played along and noticed Aaron's right hand clenched into a fist.

Before I could respond, Luke kicked my leg, making me slip, and then pretended to hold me from falling.

I turned to face Luke and said, "What the -"

"Sush. Look at Aaron. I bet he must have turned around instinctively," Luke cut me off.

Indeed, he was right. Aaron was looking straight at me now. His eyes were burning with anger, and he was clearly holding himself back.

The song ended, and I got off the floor. I almost ran to a corner and grabbed a juice. My heart was beating so fast right now that I think it will burst. I gulped down the juice in one go.

"Amy -"

"Luke, this is not okay. Why is he jealous? Why is this affecting him so much? Why does it matter to him? Why did he get so angry when he saw us together?" I asked him fanatically.

"It's okay, girl. He is your husband. Think from his point of view. His wife doesn't have any feelings left for him and the only thing bidding her to him is a bloody contract that she couldn't care less for. To top it, his wife is always sticking to this guy who she claims to be her best friend. The best friend is a handsome guy and don't know when he will sweep her of her feet. Obviously, he is jealous", Luke tried to make me understand.

"Husband? Wife? Have you forgotten everything? He just married me for revenge. There is nothing going on between us. He hates me", I told him.

"That's bullshit, Amy. Do you think I saw Aaron getting jealous today? I have been noticing it for months. I didn't want to say it because I wanted you to realize it by yourself. But, both of you are just idiots. Him more than you, but still both. You can see only what he is miserably trying to show you. All I have heard since I've met you again is that Aaron says that he hates you. But, all I have really observed is that he cares for you. You believe he hates you because that is what he says. But, what about the things that he doesn't say? What about the things that he does? Don't they matter? A man who hates his wife doesn't care whether she sleeps on the bed or the floor. A man who hates his wife doesn't value her opinions and wishes on every single thing he does , including the color of his suit or some design that he drew for a client. Running to you was the first thing he did when he came to know about his parents' accident. Doesn't that explain anything about how important you are to him and how much he trusts you? In a crowd of a thousand people, his eyes found you in a second. Even while talking to some way more important people, he was watching over you. Every minute, every second of this party, he was subtly looking at you, making sure you were okay. Now, I don't know about you, but all of this definitely tells me that he doesn't hate you," Luke said in a go.

He took a breath to calm himself and continued, "Look, I am not saying forgive him for cheating on you or anything else. Don't do it. Ever. Not for cheating on you. If you forgive the cheating, I will be the first person to stop you. I am just saying that he is lying to you about his feelings. He cares for you, and you do mean a lot to him. Definitely way more than just revenge. You say love can't exist without trust. Yes, but jealousy can't exist without feelings, Amy, and Aaron Kingston is clearly jealous."

Suddenly, Luke's phone started ringing and he picked it up. He excused himself and I was finally a lot calmer.

But, I was still confused. Why does it matter to him? Why is he jealous for someone who he hates so much? It was just last week he kicked me out of his room. It is impossible that he suddenly developed feelings for me out of nowhere. So, if he did feel for me then why did he do that? And if he feels nothing for me then why does he care?

I looked around searching for Aaron. But, I couldn't find him.

"Amy, let's go", Luke said holding my hand and pulling me with him.

"Where?" I asked.

He dragged me to the garden area. The garden was pretty much empty. There were a few people scattered around but, it was a huge garden so it was mostly empty.

Luke dragged me to a secluded area. I saw a man standing there already. He turned to face us as we reached him.

"Luke?" I said slowly with a questioning look.

"Amy, this is Connor. Connor this is my best friend, Amelia. The one I have been wanting you to meet for a long time. Amy, Connor is my fiance", Luke smiled proudly and I squealed in delight.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! Congratulations! When? How? This was that big secret? How dare you say it was not that juicy! This is amazing. Where did you both meet? Why didn't you tell me before?" I asked so many questions at a time. I was just too happy for him.

"Well, it was nice to meet you too, Amelia", Connor said with amusement.

"Oh, you can call me Amy. You are practically family now", I told him giving him a hug.

"Thanks, Amy", Connor smiled.

"Tell me everything. Why didn't you tell me before? Why didn't you make us meet before?" I asked Luke showing fake anger.

"Well, you know how my family reacted when I came out, right?" Luke asked me sadly and I nodded.

Luke's parents never welcomed it. They were too orthodox and never supported it. He practically just had us since he ever came out in open. He was bullied a lot too in high school because of this. Until, one day he finally stood up bravely and told them off. He left his home as soon as he turned eighteen and started living on his own because he thought that he could never live with his parents after how they behaved with him when he came out.

"So, when I told Connor about it after we started dating at the university, he got scared. He didn't want to tell his friends and family for a long time. So, when I moved to Nashville for my job, we decided to break it off. But, after two months of me being here in New york, we met again and we realised that we are meant to be. We kept it a secret until he was comfortable. Remember that day when I told you to meet me for lunch? He told his family a week before. They were really supportive and they accepted it readily. So, that day I was going to propose to him at lunch. I wanted you to be there but, you couldn't make it. Then, I didn't want to just drop the bomb on you. So, I decided to introduce both of you today", Luke explained and shrugged.

"Oh my gosh! I am really happy for both of you. Congratulations!" I smiled at them.

"Thank you", they both said in unison.

"You both have my blessings", I laughed.

"Ah! We feel so privileged", Luke joked.

"It is getting cold outside. Why don't you come in?" I told Connor.

"No, he doesn't work here. So, he doesn't want to come in. He had to sneak in here", Luke said.

"So, that's what you were doing for one hour", I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Yes", Luke ran a hand in his hair.

"And he was there at the club too?" I asked again.

"Yes, we were busy together", Luke blushed a little.

"You've got a long list of lies, mister", I jabbed a finger at him playfully.

"Sorry, Amy. Luke was dying to tell you about it since he met you the first time at the office. But, I told him to hold back for a while", Connor said sheepishly.

"Oh! You can repent for it by coming over for dinner sometime. I would love it really", I smiled at him.

"Sure. Definitely", Connor said.

"Oh, by the way, when's the big day?" I asked suddenly.

"We haven't really thought of it yet but, soon hopefully", Luke smiled at Connor.

They looked so much in love. It made me so happy and sad at the same time. I was happy for them and sad for myself. I recalled the times that Aaron and I looked at each other with so much love in our eyes. I wish it was all true.

"Amy?" Luke waved in front of my eyes.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Connor is leaving", Luke said.

"So soon?" I pouted.

"Yeah, he has work tomorrow and he shouldn't be here for long. Someone might find out", Luke shrugged.

"Well, why don't you go too then?" I asked Luke.

"Me?"

"Yes, I mean-" I was cut off by Connor's phone ringing.

He excused himself and I continued, "Yes, I mean he is here for you right. You should go. The party is almost over too."

"But, what about you? How will you go home?" he asked.

I clicked my tongue and said, "I'll go. I'll book a cab. Don't worry about me."

"Sure?" he asked and I nodded.

"Thanks, Amy", he said and hugged me.

"Congratulations", I said hugging him back.

"You are the best", he hugged me tighter.

"I know", I smiled.

"Love you, little one", he said finally breaking the hug.

"I am not little", I glared at him. I missed my step in the grass and my ankle twisted again. I lost my balance and Luke caught me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

But, before I could respond, I was snatched away from Luke's hold.

"Thank you, Mr. Thompson. But, I think my wife is fine now", Aaron glared at Luke and held my wrist in an iron grip.

"Sir, I-" Luke began but Aaron cut him off and turned to look at me.

"Let's go", Aaron said with a look that clearly said 'I dare you to say otherwise.'

He didn't even give me a chance to reply before giving Luke one final glare and pulling me along with him. He was walking so fast that I had to almost run behind him. I turned to look around and gave Luke a sorry smile. Luke just gave me a thumbs up as to say best of luck. I saw Connor come back, and I turned my head to face ahead before I would fall again.

This is going to be a long night.

***********************************************************************************************

Hello Reader,

I reached 5K reads. Never thought I'd see myself here. Thanks to all of you.

Hope you liked this chapter.

I know most of you want to kill me for the cliffhanger. Do it at the end cause there are more to come.

What do you think? What's coming up next?

Also, so far, considering the votes, The Womanizer is the most hate chapter and The Saturday Night is the most loved one. If you guys think any other chapters deserve more credit and haven't voted for them already, go back and do that.

Please share, vote and comment.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I didn't know Luke Thompson is actually a person until recently. Bridgerton fans would know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4M 198K 78
"You told them you love me ,huh?" He asks with a raised eyebrows, jaw hardened and eyes narrowed at the shy girl he has hated all his life. She was a...
742K 22.4K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
361K 13.8K 46
Amelia was working in her dream job. Good job, good pay, and good boss! Then, something changes and life takes an unexpected turn. Welcome to the unp...
219K 13.9K 41
His Peaceful life turned chaotic the day she stepped into his life. She is hiding so many secrets which can be dangerous for his clan and He will nev...