Azmaish-e-Ishq

By ChalWahanJaateHain

Heer Qureshi and Salaar Riaz have been best friends and next-door neighbors since they were in diapers. Life... More

Aesthetics
Ch. 1: Blue Butterfly Latte
Ch. 2: Honey Macchiato
Ch. 3: Fall Equinox Formal
Ch. 5: Secrets and Dates
Ch. 6: Cinnamon Brewn
Ch. 7: Snickerdoodles
Ch. 8: Friendsgiving
Ch. 9: I Love You(s)
Ch. 10: Wounds
Ch. 11: Double Date
Ch. 12: The Photo Wall
Ch. 13: Home Decorating
Ch. 14: Wedding Bells
Ch. 15: The Vanishing Act
Ch. 16: Nikkah
Ch. 17: The Red Ghost
Ch. 18: The Grand Affair
Ch. 19: The Paper Balls
Ch. 20: An Unwanted Visitor
Ch. 21: Confrontations
Ch. 22: Chai & Kebabs
Ch. 23: The Husband Card
Ch. 24: Jenga
Ch. 25: Healing Isn't Linear
Ch. 26: First Date
Ch. 27: Unfinished Business
Ch. 28: Jealousy
Ch. 29: Rihan
Ch. 30: BBQ
Ch. 31: Kashmiri Chai
Ch. 32: Frog Becomes a Prince
Ch. 33: Stargazing
Ch. 34: Treehouse
Ch. 35: Kiss of Death
Ch. 36: Beauty and the Beast
Ch. 37: The Pond
Ch. 38: The Envelope
Epilogue

Ch. 4: The Scammer

359 18 12
By ChalWahanJaateHain

Heer's P.O.V.

"I thought we agreed we wouldn't ever bring it up again!" I exclaimed with red cheeks as I tried to catch up to Salaar, who was laughing at my flustered state while walking to his car.

"What? That we've kissed before?" he further emphasized.

"Salaar!" I looked around, "Shh!"

He suddenly paused and I bumped into him before he turned around.

A smirk tugged on his lips, "You don't want other people to know that you and I, Heer Qureshi and Salaar Riaz, have kissed on the lips?"

This man! The way he kept repeating it over and over!

My eyes widened, "Salaar. Riaz."

He watched me with amusement, "Would it bother you? For others to know?"

I made a sarcastic face and folded my arms, shrugging, "Oh, of course not. It's not like people have the hardest time believing we are just friends anyway," I gave him a blank stare, "Did you already forget what we just endured? Every single person inside thought I was your girlfriend. If anyone hears you, then- And it doesn't count! We were in preschool! It was one time. We didn't know any better until our teacher saw and yelled at us."

He sucked his teeth before teasing, "Doesn't change the fact I was your first kiss."

I scoffed, "No need to feel so special. I was also yours."

He lifted an eyebrow, "So, it counts?"

"No!"

"You just said you were my first ki-"

"Stop saying it out loud!"

He chuckled before looking into my eyes tenderly with a smile. I feigned a scowl and was about to hit his arm when he trapped me into another wrestling position so my back was to him.

"Why am I even friends with this man?!" I muttered.

He placed his crown back on my head, "Because I'm the best."

"You're the worst."

"Sure. The worst in being the worst, making me the best."

"Bravo. What logic," I said monotonously.

He observed my face over my shoulder as he kept me caged to him.

"But you're the actually the best, Heer. Thanks for coming with me tonight."

I couldn't help but smile up at him, "You're welcome."

He returned the smile, "I owe you one."

"Mm," I pretended to contemplate before looking at him and responding in an innocent, playful manner, "You can pay off your debt now. Ruby's is on you."

He sighed lightheartedly, "Alright, but you are the richer one of the both of us, Ms. ProudOwnerOfYourVeryOwnCoffeeShop."

"Ah ah, you can't talk your way out of this. The bill is all yours."

He chuckled, "Fine!"

I looked down at his arms around me, giggling, "Ab chhod bhi do!"
(Now let me go!)

He dropped his arms as he said jestingly, "Chhodne ke liye nahin pakda tha tumhein."
(I didn't hold you to let you go.)

"Wah! Apne baaton par kitne qaim hai aap."
(Wow! You are so truthful to your word.)

He opened my door, "Azmake toh dekho, meri jaan."
(Test me and see, my life.)

"Zaroor, kyun nahin?" I then feigned a mesmerized expression, pressing a hand to my chest, "Lekin, 'meri jaan?' Haaye, main fidah ho gayi!"
(Sure, why not?.... But, 'my life?' I've fallen for you!)

I got into the car then asked, amused, "'Meri jaan'... Pehle kabhi nahin suna."
('My life'... I didn't hear it before.)

He sat in the driver's seat and twisted the car keys in the engine, "Bechari. Tumse koi pyaar nahin karta hain kya?"
(Poor girl. Does no one love you?)

His laugh echoed as I smacked his chest lightly, "Salaar! Pehle kabhi nahin suna tumhein kehte hue!"
(Salaar! I never heard you say it!)

After we sat in our usual booth at Ruby's and stuffed our faces with our favorite burgers, fries, and milkshakes, we began driving home.

"Ruby's always hits the spot," I rubbed my stomach while Salaar turned into our neighborhood, "Thanks, Sally."

"Don't mention it... Heer?"

"Hm?"

"Why don't we end tonight like the way we ended prom?" a smile tugged on his lips, "In true Heer and Salaar fashion?"

I checked the time on the dashboard, "But it's almost 11."

He shrugged, "Ami and Anne haven't given us a call asking where we are yet."

"True. Okay," I grinned.

He smiled and drove past our houses.

I slipped off my heels and he took off his blazer then we both got out of the car. Salaar and I began rushing forward to the playground in the park of our neighborhood.

Yes. After our prom in secondary school, we both didn't want to go home, so we came here and thoroughly took advantage of the empty place that's otherwise swarming with tiny children.

We both climbed up the rock wall then sat down at the top of a double slide.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Yes."

"One, two, three!" we both slid down.

"Which next?" he asked after landed on our feet.

"You choose."

"The seesaw."

We both ran towards it and sat on opposite ends. Our laughs flew away in the air as he and I lifted into the air alternatingly. We eventually went back to the rock wall and climbed up. I trotted across the wiggly suspension bridge while Salaar glided down a pole.

I approached the monkey bars at the end of the bridge. Salaar walked over and watched me from below.

"Go on," he encouraged.

I had zero upper-body strength. I couldn't go beyond the first two bars for the life of me.

I frowned, "You know I can't."

"Just try."

I gripped the bars and my body simply dangled in the air.

"I can't go any further."

Salaar jumped up and grabbed on to two bars next to mine. He began doing pull-ups.

"Show off," I muttered under my breath.

A smirk tugged on his lips because he heard me.

"Do one."

I tried to lift myself to no avail, "My arm muscles are burning!"

He jumped down and then wrapped his arms around my legs, holding me up so I can continue across the monkey bars.

"Thanks, Sally," I smiled.

"You're welcome."

He then spoke up as we reached the middle of the bars, loosening his grasp, "I'm going to let go now."

"No!" I squealed, placing a hand on his shoulder while holding on to one bar.

He chuckled.

"Sally, c'mon," I whined.

"Maybe you should start training with me."

"Okay okay! Maybe I will," I glanced wearily at the rubber ground, which suddenly appeared as though it were 100 km away.

"Your arms are noodles!"

"Hey!" I bumped my ankle against his knee.

Big mistake.

He held me tighter and I quickly placed a hand on the back of his head protectively as we toppled down. He landed on his back with me in his embrace.

"Are you alright?!"

I peeked through my tightly shut eyes and found him searching my orbs.

I nodded, "Are you?"

"Yeah, but are you sure?" he sat up and took my hands, scanning them before also checking my lower legs for any scratches.

"I'm sure, Salaar," I observed his concern-filled face.

I looked down and realized I was sitting on his lap. I cleared my throat and got off, standing up before helping him up.

"You aren't doing that again, Heer."

Again, he'd gone serious, the same way he had when I'd brought him the Philly cheesesteak sandwich.

"I'm fine, Sally," I reassured gently before cracking a small smile, placing my hands on my hips, "And aren't doing what again? Make you lose your balance or the monkey bars?"

He rolled his eyes, "Both."

"We'll see about that!" I attempted to lock him in one of his wrestling positions miserably.

"You're doing it wrong," he laughed.

"No wonder it's not working," I mumbled from behind him.

"Here, let me help you."

I raised an eyebrow with suspicion.

"Put both of your arms over my shoulders."

I did as I was told.

He then crouched a bit before placing his hands behind my knees and lifting me up.

I giggled with surprise as he began piggy-backing me to the car.

"Yeah. We're going home. I'm not taking any further risks. I'm sure Anne would want me to bring her only daughter back home in one piece."

I teased playfully, "Party pooper!"

"Noodle arms!"

"Weak knees!"

"Uh-erm-"

"Hm, that's what I thought."

The following morning, I came down to pack my breakfast when I overheard Anne and Baba just after he got off the phone.

"Her health's deteriorated even more. I was thinking of booking my flight for day after tomorrow."

"Yes, you should go, canım (my dear)," Anne nodded encouragingly.

"I would feel better if you went with me, aşkım (my love). Abba and Mama have been wanting us to visit too."

"And leave Heer alone? How can we, Immu? She can't come with us either. She just opened Hayat. And we will have to stay for at least two weeks since we'd be going after so long. Like you said, Abba and Mama have been waiting for us."

I made my presence known, "What happened?"

"Tumhari chachi ka tabiyat kuch dinon se nasaaz hai, beta," Baba informed.
(Your aunt has been unwell the last few days.)

My infamous chachi whom I'd never met or seen and who wasn't actually related to my father. All I knew was that she is close and dear to him.

My eyebrows pulled together with concern, "Is she alright?"

"I won't fully know until I visit her."

I turned my head towards my mother, urging her gently, "Anne, you should go too. I'll be fine."

"Bebeğim (my baby), how can I-"

"Aiza Ami and Rashid Uncle are literally next door. Aise padosi hone ka phir kya faida agar aap dono beparwah hoke na jaa sake toh?" (What's the point of having such neighbors if you two can't go without a worry?)

My parents stared at each other as they contemplated.

"Seriously, both of you should go together. Baba, you're always busy with work, so you barely have the chance to visit Dadajaan and Dadijaan. They'll be very happy. I'm sure it'll mean a lot to Chachi too."

Anne wet her lips and sighed, "Let me think about it. I'll make a decision by the evening."

Baba and I nodded.

I began transferring my breakfast into a container.

"Where are you off to, tatlım (my sweetie)?"

"Hayat."

"But it's Saturday. You're always working, heera (diamond)."

I pouted, "I know. Being the owner, I have to go in when there's nobody to work on the weekends. I was off yesterday though."

"Take tomorrow off in case your Baba and I are going on Monday."

"Will do. Let me know what you decide, Anne. Bye-bye!" I pecked their cheeks.

"Bye!" they both called after me.

Anne texted me later on during my shift that she was indeed going to Pakistan with my father, and that too, for three weeks at my grandparents' behest.

"Imran Bhai, Halima, befikar hoke jao (go without a worry). I will look after Heer and prepare all her meals. She can even stay in Seher's room with us at night," Aiza Ami reassured, caressing my head.

Ami had come to the airport with me to see my parents off on Monday morning.

"Thank you, Aiza. Because of you I'll be able to breathe more freely," Anne smiled at me before stroking my cheek and kissing my forehead.

My parents gave me a talk about being careful, prompt in answering their calls, and not staying out too late. I hugged them goodbye then drove Ami home.

"Are you going to Hayat, Heer?"

"Yes, Ami. Just to check in on things."

She clicked her tongue, "Not until you have lunch with me. Come inside."

She got out of the car without leaving a chance for me to protest. I followed her inside and helped her prepare the meal. Salaar happened to come home from university for lunch and joined us.

We plopped onto the sofa after we finished eating.

"You won't be scared at night?" he lifted an eyebrow.

"No, why would I be? I live upstairs anyway. I have the whole floor to myself, so it sometimes feels like I live alone."

"But what if you, I don't know, hear some noises?"

My forehead creased, "What kind of noises?"

He shrugged, mischief flashing in his eyes, "The floor creaking when you're all tucked up in bed, a door slam shut at 2 in the morning, footsteps in the hallway while you're trying to sleep, or, who knows, a child's laugh while you're in the bathroom."

"Ami!" I whined.

"Stop trying to scare her, Salaar. I'll send you to sleep at her house and she will be here."

He laughed in response.

I folded my arms and pouted.

He hugged me as he continued to chuckle.

"Heer."

He poked a finger in my ribs.

I turned my head.

He tried to pull my arms down, but I kept firm.

He sighed, slipping out his phone, "Look at this. Seher Api sent a picture of the mehendi that she got done. You like henna, right?"

I glanced at his phone from the corner of my eyes.

"Do you know who did it?"

I looked at him.

"I did. She came late last night just to get it done for a wedding she has to go to. I can do yours too."

Salaar's amazing at doing mehendi. Studying architecture, he has a really good hand in art. He discovered his talent when I asked him to do it for me one time when we were really little. His lines are so straight and designs so meticulous that people ask which professional I get it done from or if I used a stencil.

I perked up and smiled, nodding eagerly.

A smile of his own formed on his lips as he gazed at my eyes tenderly.

"I'll do it tonight after dinner."

"Okay. I'll start heading off to Hayat now."

I bid him and his mother goodbye then went to my café until closing. I stopped by their house afterwards and ate with them then Salaar did my mehendi.

I could feel him watching my face while I admired the design.

"Thank you, Salaar! I really love it," I beamed.

"You're welcome," he smiled softly, "This cone stains quickly, so you won't have to stay up that late for it to dry."

"Yay! Can you take a picture on your phone? My battery's running low on charge, but I want to post it on my story after you send it to me."

He nodded and grabbed his phone. He held my hand ever so gently, mine resting on his, as he took the photo.

Uncle and Ami urged me to stay but I refused and told them I would call if I needed anything. They watched me go while I walked over to my front door. Ami then called to make sure I locked the doors and closed the windows before heading upstairs.

After I peeled off my mehendi and got into bed, I posted the picture on my Instagram.

I was very pleased with the bright red stain. Hopefully it will last long.

I got comfortable under the covers when my phone buzzed with a notification. It was from Haniya, who slid up on my story.

My eyebrows nearly lifted up to my hairline after I read her message. I switched on the lights and studied my hand.

I then immediately rang Salaar. He picked up on the second ring.

"Salaar Riaz, tell me that's not the face of a frog on the bone of my wrist."

Had Haniya not messaged me about it, I would have thought it was just a normal spiral design. It hadn't caught my eye. But of course, she noticed it since I tagged him in the picture and because I called him a frog in front of her.

I was met with a roar of laughter until he finally got out, "It took you this long?"

I gritted my teeth, "Listen, I'm tired. I had work today and I have work tomorrow too. Baat hi nahin karni hai mujhe tumse. Ja, phone rakh!"
(I don't even want to talk to you. Go, hang up!)

He chuckled, "Khair, tumse kaun baat karna chahta hai?"
(Who wants to talk to you anyway?)

"Arrey, rakh phone!"
(Hang up the phone!)

"Tu rakh!"
(You hang up!)

"Main hi rakhti hoon!" I ended the call.
(I will hang up!)

A weary Haniya walked into work the next morning while I was trying to scrub the frog away from my skin.

"Uh, Heer?"

"Yes?" I looked up at her.

"I just bumped into the property owner and he gave me this to give you. I told him you were inside and that he could just give it to you directly, but he handed it to me and drove off."

I dried my hands and took the sheets from her.

As my eyes scanned through the documents, all I understood was that it was saying something about the down payment being due. However, I knew all of it had long been paid and sorted.

My shoulders slumped. Baba wasn't even in town for him to help me. I was growing more and more confused as I read the document's fine print.

"What should I do?"

"Maybe you can call your dad."

"Baba's busy today."

He and Anne were visiting Chachi today.

I added, "But you're right. Maybe I'll call him later on when he goes back home and I'll try to send him pictures of the documents."

She rubbed my shoulder, "It'll be okay, Heer. Don't worry about it."

"The papers say I owe the money by next Monday! That's in 6 days. I don't even get why or what the money is for! Everything's been paid for, Hani," I looked at her dejectedly.

"And if you don't pay in 6 days, then?"

"It says I'll have to stop operations and vacate the property."

"What?!"

My lips quivered as my eyes flooded with tears. I was scared. The papers listed a large sum. I was afraid of losing Hayat. I worked so hard to open it and it's been my dream for so long. This had to be some mistake. Baba and I made sure all the finances were taken care of.

"Do you want to take the rest of the day off? To try and figure this out?" Haniya asked sympathetically.

I heard the front doors open, so I turned around to dry my eyes futilely.

As the footsteps drew nearer, Haniya took a step back and glanced at the customer then at me.

"Heer?"

I turned back around.

Kamran. It had been a little over a week since I last saw him.

"What's wrong?" he studied my wet eyes as his eyebrows furrowed.

I sniffled while shaking my head.

"You're a lawyer, right?" Haniya asked him.

He nodded while observing my face intently.

"Maybe you could ask him to look over the documents for you. He can explain what's wrong," she whispered to me.

I looked at Haniya before shifting my gaze on Kamran.

"What documents?" he questioned.

I stared at him as I contemplated.

Maybe he was just the person I needed to help me. He was a corporate lawyer after all. He would understand it better.

"Heer?" he took my name gently, searching my orbs.

I handed the papers over to him and explained what I took away from them and how the money had all been paid. He read through them carefully.

"You said you paid everything, then you will be fine, Heer," he comforted.

A slight feeling of relief spread through me. Coming from a lawyer, it was reassuring.

"Do you have the original contract papers and receipts?"

"They're at home."

"I would need to see them before moving forward."

"Oh, I can go home and then bring them here-"

"I actually have to go meet with some other clients and I won't be free until 9."

My expression faltered.

"But I'm still going to help you, Heer."

A small smile formed on my lips, which he returned.

"Would after 9 be too late for you?"

"No no! I want to get this sorted as soon as possible. We could meet back here."

"Great."

Haniya began tending to other customers at the register, so Kamran and I moved to the end of the counter.

"What other documents should I bring?"

"I'll text them to you," he slid out his phone, "What's your number?"

I recited my phone number and he sent me a message stating his name so I could have his.

"I should head out. I'll see you tonight."

"Wait. Don't you want a drink?"

A smile tugged on his lips, "I didn't necessarily come in for one, but I wouldn't mind."

"Oh... Then?" I asked timidly, my gaze glued to the tabletop.

"I stopped by twice last week."

I looked up at him.

"You weren't in nor was Haniya, so I couldn't ask her about you."

About me!

"Do you have particular days that you work?"

I cleared my throat softly as I tried maintain the eye contact while suppressing a smile, "I don't have a set schedule. I come in some mornings, check in randomly, or cover for when my other employs can't work... I hope you still found the drinks good on your last two visits."

"I didn't order any. I've been spoiled by a particular barista, so I wanted the drinks made by her."

"Oh."

My pink cheeks were on full display to clear any doubts if I was indeed blushing.

"Would you then like another drink of the day?" I asked quietly.

"Please," he took out his wallet and gave me his card.

As I made his drink, I watched him from the corner of my eyes. He unlocked his phone and saved my number as, "Heer Qureshi 🦋🍯"

A butterfly and a honey emoji. They were symbols for the drinks I've made him, the blue butterfly latte and the honey macchiato. He was a clever man.

Haniya appeared next to me as I handed him a hazelnut iced coffee.

He gave both of us a nod before leaving with the drink, smiling softly to himself after he took a sip.

"You have a date tonight," Hani stated slyly.

As much as I wanted to go into the kitchen and squeal about my entire encounter with Kamran just now, I kept it cool, "I don't. I need his help. I have an appointment with him."

"Blah blah blah," she gestured with her hand before she took my own, "Let me see your mehendi! Wow, Salaar did such a good job. He's so talented! Can you please ask him to do mine? Under that excuse, he'll hold my hand. His hand in the picture looked so soft. Was it?!"

"Get back to work, Hani!"

"But are his hands soft or not?!"

"Haniya!"

"Fine!"

Once my shift was over, I checked in with my parents via video chat, just as I had done earlier yesterday and today before work, and had dinner with Ami, Salaar, and Rashid Uncle. I then went home and showered before getting ready and returning to Hayat with the papers Kamran told me to bring. I told Ami that I had to close the café then meet up with someone. She warned me to not stay out too long.

I didn't tell any of them about the notice from the landlord. I wanted to see what Kamran was going to suggest first, then I'd inform my parents. Perhaps it would help them feel less worried.

I closed the store earlier today, promptly at 9, so Kamran and I could concentrate with no disturbances. I prepared a drink for him while I waited for him to arrive. Just as I finished, I found him knocking on the doors.

"Hi," I let him in.

"Hey," he smiled.

"Thank you so much for wanting to help me, Kamran. You just had such a long day, and yet-"

"You helped me in my time of need," he said as he looked into my eyes, "and I'd be happy if I could return the favor."

I smiled at him, "Thank you... Please, have a seat."

He sat down and placed his laptop on the table from his bag. I brought him his drink and all the documents.

His eyes lit up at the warm beverage, "Thanks, Heer."

"You're welcome. Have you eaten dinner?"

"Yes, I had a dinner meeting. Have you?"

"Yeah." I sat down in front of him and he went through the papers while asking me questions and taking sips of the drink periodically.

He folded the wrists of the sleeves covering his muscular arms. A few strands of his dark hair fell onto his forehead as he deeply concentrated on all the sheets of paper and his laptop.

I watched silently as he continued reading the documents and searching the internet.

It felt like an hour had passed when he finally took my name, "Heer?"

"Hm?" I perked up, having been feeling a bit tired myself from working most of the day.

His eyes continued moving across the laptop screen, "Do you have a boyfriend?"

My mouth fell open slightly.

I wasn't expecting that question.

He looked up at me.

"No."

He gave me a nod as a smile tugged on his lips before focusing back on the laptop.

After a few minutes, I mustered it in me to ask, "Why?"

"It's important to gauge all angles while studying a case."

A romance angle in my down payment case?

I cleared my throat quietly, "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"I don't."

So, he was single.

"Why?" he smirked.

"I, uh-" my phone began to ring.

Thank you, Ami!

I received the call and went over behind the counter, "Assalamwalaikum Ami."

"Walaikumsalam. Ghar kab aa rahi ho, beta? Ab 10:30 baj rahi hai. Mujhe pata hai ke kabhi kabhi tum aur der tak baahir hoti ho, lekin ab Bhai aur Halima ghar par nahin hai aur tum akeli gayi ho, toh fikar hoti hai mujhe, meri bachi."
(When are you coming home, dear? It's 10:30. I know that you sometimes stay out later, but since your parents aren't here and because you've gone out alone, I get worried, my child.)

"Sorry, Ami. Thodi der mein hi aa rahi hoon. Ghar pahunchte hi phone karoongi."
(Sorry, Ami. I'm coming in a little bit. I'll call you once I reach home.)

"Agar aur rehna hai toh main Salaar ko bhenj doon?"
(If you want to stay out longer, should I send Salaar?)

"Nahin nahin. Shukriya, Ami. Main kuch hi dair mein nikal jaoungi."
(No no. Thanks, Ami. I'll leave in a little bit.)

"Okay. Bye, beta."

"Bye."

I returned to Kamran.

He looked up at me, "The guy's a fraud."

"What?!"

"Are you aware that the previous landlord sold the property to the current one last month?"

I nodded.

"It seems as though the previous owner didn't do his research before making the deal. This new guy, Steven Vance, has a record for scamming people. It appears you are his next victim."

My eyes widened.

"You fulfilled all the requirements and necessary payments and you have all the receipts as your evidence. The new landlord has no basis for asking you for another down payment. He's trying to scam you and is doing it for personal gain. Furthermore, what also demonstrates he's a fake would be the fact that his notice doesn't state that he will take you to court for failure of paying the fee if you don't make the payment. He isn't allowed to make you vacate the property."

I gasped silently.

He stood up and looked into my eyes seriously, reassuring, "There's nothing to worry about."

I gave him a small grateful smile in response before querying, "What should we do?"

"Well, you can go to the police or," he tilted his head with a mischievous smile.

The next morning, Kamran picked me up from my house after I texted him my address and we pulled up in front of the landlord's office.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked him as we approached the main doors.

"I am. Are you?"

"He's a scammer. What if he tries some funny business and something happens?"

"It'll be fine, Heer."

I searched his eyes.

He blinked at me reassuringly while taking my hand into his. I watched our hands as he gave mine a gentle squeeze before letting go.

"Just stick to the plan."

I nodded and followed behind his tall figure.

We entered the building and went up to the second floor then knocked on the landlord's door.

A short balding ginger-haired man in a plaid shirt and brown pants creaked the door open, "Yes?"

Putting up such a façade that I began to feel like I was in a movie, Kamran spoke with confidence, "Lawyer Kamran Khan. This is my client, Heer Qureshi. She is the owner of the café Hayat, of which she leases the property from you."

He looked at us suspiciously, "Do you have an appointment?"

"No-"

The man attempted to close the door, but Kamran held it open.

"I reckon that you wouldn't want to delay matters any further once I disclose the point of concern, Mr. Vance," Kamran challenged.

With that, we entered the room once the landlord stepped back and took a seat at his desk reluctantly. We sat down in front of him across the table.

Kamran cut to the chase and slid a folder over to the man, "It appears my client has been falsely charged a down payment sum that is higher than the original amount that has already been paid in full. Upon acquiring this property last month, all documents pertaining to your lessee should have been transferred to you. A copy of all transactions made by Ms. Qureshi should be in your possession."

Mr. Vance's face fell as he opened the folder and found pages and pages of reports detailing his previous scams and copies of my lease contract and payment receipts.

Kamran leaned back in his chair, "Your attempts to scam my client has resulted in emotional distress. Ms. Qureshi maintains full authority to sue you on such an account. If not, she may opt to inform law enforcements of your intent to commit fraud."

"No, please!" Mr. Vance panicked, peering at us with horror.

"Then I would suggest that you dismiss the notice sent to Ms. Qureshi and avoid committing further misdemeanors with not only my client, but your other lessees as well."

"Done! Done! Please, Ms. Qureshi, don't take any action! Mother will kick me out of the basement!" he pleaded.

I bit my lower lip to stifle a laugh while trying to maintain a straight face.

Kamran turned his head towards me, his eyes trailing over my features with soft eyes before clearing his throat and getting back into character, "Ms. Qureshi, what course of action would you like to pursue?"

I leaned closer to his ear and pretended to whisper, just like he had instructed me last night.

He nodded and I moved back.

"Out of the goodness of Ms. Qureshi's heart, she chooses to avoid taking any action, but my client will not hesitate to get the police involved if there are further occurrences."

Mr. Vance stood up, so Kamran and I did as well. He took my hand and shook it vigorously, "Thank you so much, Ms. Qureshi. I apologize for the inconvenience. There will be no further mistakes on my end."

I retreated my hand quickly and nodded.

Kamran took the folder back and led me outside.

As soon as we exited the building, we turned to each other and burst into laughter, engulfing each other in a hug.

I then froze, looking down and realizing that I was in his embrace, and moved away.

"Thank you so much, Kamran. You really saved me and my family. My parents aren't in town and I was afraid of burdening them with this and having to deal with it all alone, but you helped me out of everything. I really appreciate it."

"Of course."

"How were you so sure that things wouldn't have gone wrong?"

"The bloke lives in his mother's basement. I had no expectations of him putting up a fight... By the way, none of my cases are this interesting nor do I usually practice my degree like this, so I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone how I went about this case. This was an exception," he chuckled.

I giggled.

His eyes became tender as he watched me, "I'm glad I was able to bring your smile back, Heer."

My smile transformed into a shy one before I tried changing the topic, "How much is your fee? I won't let you go without paying for your services. You took time out of your busy schedule to he-"

"I won't take money from you."

"Kamran-"

"I'm serious."

"Come on. Just tell me or send me an invoi-"

"There is one thing."

"What is it? Tell me."

He took a step closer and his gaze lingered on my face before he looked into my eyes, speaking in an enamored, soft tone, "I find you very beautiful, Heer... I'd be honored if you found any slight interest in me and would be willing to have dinner with me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

583K 16.8K 81
"I'm taking another wife", Mehmal's heart broke when her husband announced. " I love you, Mehmal. Taking another wife doesn't mean I wouldn't love yo...
671K 54.4K 55
[wattpad featured story] For Rabail her entire world revolves around the ideals, traditions, and honor of her family, but fate brings her face to fac...
28.2K 1.3K 19
"Go and meet your bride, son. She is waiting in my room. She is on fire." Di said smiling and I sighed smiling while all just laughed. "The time I t...
22.8K 834 56
Makhfi: Adjective. hidden, secret, concealed 6 lives on a journey for success, will they succeed in their goal or not. /The story revolves around 2...