,wallflower' • BRIDGERTON

By spookyjoji

hope buckingham dear gentle-readers, a new pretty face has entered the gates of london... will the desperate... More

• character •
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30

chapter 9

1.3K 38 3
By spookyjoji

【9】

"You must come with me." Benedict asked with a look of slight panic. I shook my head. "I shall let the men who placed themselves in this predicament fix there problems." I said, fully intent on what I was saying. Benedict sighs before crossing his arms.

"I am unable to disappear from the crossfire of there problems, and I feel that if I am alone I shall go insane. Hope, please." He practically begged. I breathed in, rubbing my temples. "It seems I can never say no to you, dear Benedict." I said, it was nearly dawn already and I wasted my energy on the problem at hand.

We took some private horses over towards a wide open plain. The Duke was already there and Anthony had two pistols with him. I nervously walked side by side with Benedict, was this really about to happen? We're these two men about to risk their lives over marriage?

There was a man standing near a big oak tree with an eccentric white wig. Anthony walked up to the him, he seemed to be in a hurry.

"Doctor, I appreciate your attendance and discretion." Anthony said with a nod. "You have my blunt?" The man asked, Anthony handed the man something I could not see very well due to distance. The man hummed.

"Very well. Try not to go dying while I am present." He said, Benedict quickly stepped forward. "If the goal is merely to wound, where should my brother aim?" Benedict asked, borderline nervously. The older man scoffed.

"You think you have the skill to guide the path of a moving bullet? Then you are either a fool or the king's finest marksman. Which is it?" He said, I looked over at Benedict's face, his worry only broaden. I nibbled my bottom lip, my heart pounded as it was nestled into my chest.

Anthony looked over at his brother before leaning into his ear. "I have one last matter to discuss with you." He whispered. Benedict sighs. "You have already provided ample instruction. I shall contact the solicitor and safeguard our sisters' dowries, as well as Hope's." He was about to continue but he was cut off by his older brother.

"An additional task." He said.

"In the top drawer of my desk you shall find the name of a lady. If I die, you must ensure she is provided for. Do you swear?" He said with his usual stern look. The words if I die, hurted Benedict beyond injury. "Benedict, do you—."

"I swear..." The man said, a silence nestled in the air. Anthony reached into his pocket and pulled out a watch... his long departed father's watch. He opened Benedict's hand and put the item inside. Benedict glanced down at the watch and Anthony placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Brother—." Before he could respond fully Anthony walked away. "That is all." We're the words he left him. I watch him leave and I looked back over at Benedict, who was staring down at the watch. I couldn't stand it.

This had to stop, men and their unthinkable decisions are about to turn this family into ruins. I could not let that happen. I watched the Duke approach the Vicount and I clenched my jaw and watched them each get handed a pistol.

They practically glared at one another as they stood in place. "For what it is worth, I am sorry." He said, it was genuine, I could feel it. But Anthony was not one to forgive easily. "Your apology is worth nothing to me." He swiftly said. They turned there backs to one another and my body began to light on fire, like the rays of sun bursted through the clouds and claimed me as victim.

I breathed in, I could see the old man I met and Benedict turn their backs, walking away from the fight. I could feel Benedict's confused look as I watched from nearly a five feet away.

"Ready!"

"Ready!"

The took one, two, three, four... five... six.

Seven, eight, nine... ten steps away from one another before turning around. The Vicount pointed his pistol at the Duke, while the Duke... aimed for the sky! Anthony's pistol shook before he pulled the trigger.

I ran over towards Anthony and grabbed his wrist, pushing his pistol towards the ground and the bullet pierced the ground with a bang. I could hear the sound of a horse neighing, right along with it I could hear Daphne yelling with fright.

Me and Anthony landed on the ground due to the sudden weight of gravity.

"Hope!" I heard Benedict yell. I puffed out air and turned my back around, so I was lying down. My face was scuffed with dirt. "HOPE! WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU GET IN THE MIDDLE—." Before he could finish I stood up.

"You two are insufferable! Dueling just to settle an love quarrel?! You might as well have the mental capacity of a piece of silverware!" I yelled, looking down at Anthony with a slight scowl. I suddenly felt a pair of hands cupping my face roughly.

"WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT, HOPE? WHY?!" Benedict yelled right at me, stress was painted across his face that he went pale almost. I stared at him, absolutely starstruck. He pulled me into a hug and I held in a breath.

Have I fixed the problem or escalated the matter?

"I require a moment with the Duke." Daphne said, making Benedict part from me. Anthony was going to deny her request before Daphne repeated herself with stern notion.

"Make it brief." Benedict said before looking at me, I looked down in shame. "Are you finished being a martyr?" He said. I sighed before looking up at him. He looked off to the side, I could tell he was not pleased with my heroic actions.

"You nearly gave me congestive heart failure. Never, do that again, Hope." I heard him say, I could hear the more normal, more playful, version of himself come out a little. Anthony approached the two of us quickly.

"We must resume before someone should find us." He said. I sighed and watched the Duke walk back towards where he once stood earlier. Daphne stood there completely bewildered, or... no... she was thinking.

"There will be no need to resume." She said, her eyes looked somehow sympathetic. What the Duke said must have touched her heart. The men stopped and looked at her. Daphne gulped softly. "The Duke and I are to be married." She said. My eyebrow raised and my mouth went slightly agape.

Dear gentle reader,

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this other is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure, to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted.

The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials... an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar; true love, or concealing a scandal.

I laid in bed, I didn't go to sleep at all last night so I woke up nearly completely drained. Nearly. I gotten dressed for the day and decided to add a little of the red I've grown to love to my gown.

Today felt... slightly different than all the others.

Benedict and I were taking a morning stroll along a path that was full of people all over the Ton. I caught many stares of people wondering if I was still on the path of inevitable marriage, indeed. I breathed in, looking over at Benedict.

"I shall attend this art charade of yours. But... what on Earth could I expect?" I asked, he looked over at me, I could see something in his eyes. Something sinister. "Oh, I will not be the bearer of spoilers, dear Hope." He said, I looked forward, grabbing Benedict's arm and wrapping it with mine.

"So I should expect myself to be slaughtered piece by piece by angry villagers who envy my status?" I asked playfully. Benedict gasped dramatically. "However did you know? I shall think you are a witch of some sorts. We must travel to get a tree." He said, accelerating his steps. I chuckled and kept up with his walking.

It seemed the request for a marriage license has been denied by the Archbishop himself. But, it did not seem right.

Daphne, Anthony, Simon, and I all stood in the main ballroom. "Denied!" She said, completely bewildered. It was unusual for a marriage license to be denied. "What on earth for?" Daphne asked, it seemed her heart was absolutely racing.

"For some reason the Archbishop of Canterbury did not think he owed me an explanation." Anthony said, Simon stood behind him rubbing his temples. "If we are to wait weeks for this wedding, it gives Cressida Cowper, not to mention Whistledown and anyone else, far too much time to uncover the truth of what happened in that garden." Daphne said, she looked over at the Duke and was going to approach him before Lady Danbury and Mrs. Bridgerton came into the broad ballroom.

Lady Bridgerton welcomed the woman with a pearly white smile and open arms. "Welcome! Welcome! Is everyone as famished as I?" Lady Bridgerton said, looking over at us, who did not share her same excitement, I'm afraid.

Lady Danbury examined our expressions one by one. "Now, this is far too grim a mood for the celebration I was counting on. What on Earth is the matter?" She asked, glancing between us all. Mrs. Bridgerton gave Anthony a look, which caused him to talk.

"We have been denied our request for a special license." He said, Mrs. Bridgerton looked stunned. "What?" She said.

"The archbishop did not see a need." The Duke said, Anthony made his way over to his mother's side. Lady Danbury breaths in. "It is not the archbishop. It is the queen. Perhaps she has taken your rejection of her nephew to heart, or perhaps she is simply bored. Either way, it does not bode well for your daughter's social future, nor any of the Bridgertons, for that matter." She says with a raised eyebrow.

"Surely we must be able to do something?" Mrs. Bridgerton said. Lady Danbury agrees with a nod before looking straight at Simon and Daphne. "Give her what she wants. Attention. Appear before her yourselves and make a personal appeal. But she will not respond to begging and she can sniff out even the faintest whiff of insincerity, so do not lay it on thick."

"Tell her you are in love, plain and simple and true." She looked the two as they began soft eye contact. "You can do that, can you not?" She asked, gaining their attention. They hesitantly nodded their heads.

"Good." She said with a confident but harsh tone in her throat. "Now, where is the dinner I was promised?" Lady Danbury said, looking over at Mrs. Bridgerton who chuckled warmly. They left the room, as did we all.

Me and Benedict traveled to this humble part of town during the night. It was time for him to charade me I suppose, with his words of art and literature. I wore a pink long sleeve silk robe that covered my skin from the needle-like wind.

My hair was stretched down along my back and the top half of my hair was pinned back. We walked side by side and we approached a seemingly freshly painted black door. We heard accented music behind the walls of this white brick building. I was incredibly nervous that a group of eccentric artists were going to paint me: a guest member of the Bridgerton's.

Benedict knocked on the door and we could hear more muffled revelry. The door opened agar and I saw the same man who's art Benedict mistakenly criticized in front of, standing right before us. My eyes widened slightly. He looked up and smiled brightly.

"Bridgerton! I am so glad you came." He said. Benedict smiled back effortlessly. "I dare not miss it." He said. The man looked over at me and his eyebrows furrowed curiously.

"You have brought a guest... Miss Buckingham, it is an absolute pleasure to meet you. I have heard many things, thanks to Mr. Bridgerton, of course." He said. I glanced over at Benedict with a shy grin. "All good things, I hope." I said, he chuckled before softly nodding his head.

"Please, come in." The man said, stepping aside and letting us in the well lit house that was filled with people. The walls were decorated with paintings of half naked women and men and my face flushed.

"Make yourself at home." He said, walking just in front of us. "I would show you around, Ms. Buckingham. But I am sure you already have an amazing guide already." He said, walking away. I suddenly spotted a woman with a sheer purple night gown and she looked at Benedict with a sort of mischievous lustful expression.

She walked into a room near by and I followed her. I approached the entry way of the room and watched as sensual women danced with different colored night gowns curving every part of their body. I watched with a kind of wonder, I never thought that a woman could reach this level of... freeness.

I heard Benedict call my name and I turned my head around. He notions for me to come with him, I followed. He walked over to another room and I looked inside. My mouth went agape as I saw a man with raven black hair and a short beard, barely even noticeable.

He was completely unclothed. Barren of clothes right before my eyes. And he was being sketched by another man. I couldn't even fathom the fact that a man could ever be so vulnerable.

I gulped deeply.

"What are you doing here?" I suddenly heard a very noticeable voice say behind me. I turned to see Madame Delecroix in the most—dare I say—scandalous clothes. She had a black lacy corset, almost covering her... curvaceous breasts.

She wore matching all black knickers and her curly hair was dressed up into a high bun.

"I'd never thought I would see Miss Hope Buckingham here at a place like this. No wonder you have not been in Lady Whistledown's pamphlets. You are clearly on a path of finding yourself." She said, taking a long inhale into the long pipe she had resting in her hands.

"I would certainly describe my visit as that, I suppose." I said, nervously glancing down at my feet. She smirked devishly, something I had never seen. "Do not be nervous ma chérie. I am sure Mr. Bridgerton will give you a... warm... welcome." She said, looking over at him, as if she was insinuating something I couldn't exactly catch.

"Very amusing, Delacroix. But, we are not here for the more sensual festivities." He said, grabbing my hand and pulling me away from the woman. "Good luck." I hear her say.

We walk down another hallway and I could see dozens of people kissing their life away. Or... doing something else... They were barely clothed and I could see things I have not seen before.

My mouth agape, I heard sounds of incredible pleasure. We passed through them all as if they were but merely paintings on the wall. We went into a different room that was calmer than the rest. It had an open floor in the middle of the room and surrounding around it were chairs.

Each one was filled with a man or woman and in front of them was an easel. This was it, I breathed in, trying to calm my pounding heart.

Benedict looked down at me. "There is nothing to be afraid of. They don't bite." He said, with that same sly grin he's always had since I've met him. I glanced up at him. An older looking woman, who looked to be nearly the same age as Lady Danbury walked up to us with a grin.

She had short wavy black hair and freckled skin. "Bridgerton, I am not surprised to see you again." She looked over at me before clapping her hands together once. "The lady of the hour, Ms. Buckingham." She said, bowing slightly.

Benedict scoffs. "Ms. Diana, please. We are not in the right establishment for proper greetings." He said, the lady, Diana chuckled.

"I see. Well, Ms. Buckingham is just gonna stand in the middle there and release her robe." She said before making her way towards her easel and chair. I gulped deeply. Benedict stood directly in front of me. "I will be right here, if you feel a bit anxious just tell me straight away." He says before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the middle of the room which had a platform I was responsible of standing upon.

There was also a marble bench that was trimmed with dark green vines.

We got onto the raised level surface and I faced away from the bench, Benedict directly in front of me.

"Alright." He muttered to himself before backing away from me. My eyebrows furrowed with fear as I saw him go, inching closer to a chair and easel. He finally sat down and took off his tailcoat, revealing a long sleeve white button up.

I nervously looked around at the artists who were preparing the canvas. Some looked directly at me, expecting me to make a first move. I looked back at Benedict.

"Benedict..." I said softly, my eyes discreetly begging for him to come back.

He picked up a charcoal pastel and his eyes trailed up at me. He stopped suddenly and looked at my expression. His face softened and he put down the charcoal piece and stood up. He walked up to me and placed a hand on each one of my shoulders.

"Are you alright? Would you like stop?" He asked, practically whispering. I breathed in. "It's just... terrifying that I'm unburdening myself in front of complete strangers. This is strange to me, Benedict." I said, nibbling my bottom lip in hopes of quieting my mind.

"Imagine they are not there, as if they are but paintings on the wall. Only recognize me as real, then, you will not be afraid. If you are unable to do so I swear to you this event will be last thing on your mind." He said, I smiled slightly. I nodded my head and he smiled warmly before walking away, glancing back once. He went back to his chair.

My shaky hands made there way down to the silk rope that tied together my robe. I unfastened the piece of fabric and the robe loosened. The pink silk slowly fell from off my shoulders and slid down my body. The fabric hit the ground with an unnoticeable thump.

The painters around me looked... nearly enthralled. Wait... they we're enthralled?

everyone's point of view

The robe revealed a red bralette that pushed up her breasts nearly perfectly and her matching red silk knickers. Her stomach was exposed to everyone in the room. Hope gulped deeply and breathed in, glancing down at her slippered feet.

Benedict smiled as warm as could be, he could hardly pay attention to the charcoal getting into his fingernails. He was just so extremely proud that Hope would even dare do this kind of thing, the Ton would certainly deem this as... scandalous.

Hope sat upon the marble bench and titled her head away looking up into the ceiling. She rested her hands in her lap loosely. Benedict was the first to begin sketching, which made the other artists snap out of there haze and begin their piece.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 27.4K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
56.9K 3.6K 13
-𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 ᵉᵈʷⁱⁿᵃ ˢʰᵃʳᵐᵃ '𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙗𝙚�...
31.4K 528 11
Starting first season of Bridgerton Addison Wilson daughter of Viscount Henry Wilson and Viscountess Veronica Wilson is set out to go on the marriage...
260K 6.8K 41
Elizabeth Sheppard Has never been one for traditions. She is smart, artistic, and has a bad temper. She is a girl who is cultivated by the love stori...