Rhythm of Heartbreak

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul with one fervent desire: to bind herself to Shaun forever. She dedicates herself to... More

Prologue: Inner Turmoil
Chapter 1: Meet Jess Lynn
Chapter 2: Cracks of the Present
Chapter 3: Tension Building
Chapter 4: The Raw Betrayal
Chapter 5: The Aftermath
Chapter 6: A Glimpse of Talent
Chapter 7: The Talent Scout
Chapter 8: The Audition
Chapter 9: The Task at Hand
Chapter 10: The Debut
Chapter 11: The Bootcamp
Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude
Chapter 13: Music and Party
Chapter 14: Under the Spotlight
Chapter 15: The Duet
Chapter 16: The Confrontation
Chapter 17: Awkward Encounters
Chapter 18: Complicated Dynamics
Chapter 19: Harmonies and Discords
Chapter 20: The Drunken Kiss
Chapter 21: Songs and Lyrics
Chapter 22: Conversation and Chances
Chapter 23: Regrets and Heartache
Chapter 24: Good News, Bad News
Chapter 25: A Heart Divided
Chapter 26: Fleeting Moment
Chapter 27: Unspoken Desires
Chapter 28: Into the Storm
Chapter 29: Tangled Melodies
Chapter 30: The Portrait of the Fallen
Chapter 31: Shattered Illusion
Chapter 32: Shadows from the Past
Chapter 33: The Dilemma
Chapter 34: Unraveled Secrets
Chapter 35: Entanglement
Chapter 36: Shattered Reflections
Chapter 37: New Beginning, Hidden Wounds
Chapter 39: Serenade and Shadows
Chapter 40: Farewell and Finality
Chapter 41: Echoes of Redemption
Chapter 42: The Healing
Chapter 43: Mending Hearts
Chapter 44: Facing the Spotlight
Chapter 45: Rhythm of Love

Chapter 38: New Place, New Connections

117 5 1
By avidnovela

Jess and her mother, Kris, arrived at the beach house with a mix of excitement and nervousness. The house was simple and charming, painted a faded blue with white trim. It sat comfortably by the sea, its front porch with old wicker chairs looking out over the sandy beach.

Inside, the décor was basic but cozy. The living room had a floral couch, some mismatched chairs, and an old rug. A small wooden dining table was tucked into a corner.

Jess took a deep breath as she walked inside, hoping this place would be a fresh start. She wanted to leave behind the pain of her past with Rick and find some peace here. While Kris began unpacking, Jess went out to the back porch to look at the beach.

The shore stretched out with soft sand, seashells, and driftwood. As Jess walked along the water's edge, the salty breeze and the sound of the waves helped calm her thoughts. She focused on the beauty around her, hoping it would ease her inner pain.

Suddenly, she saw a man walking along the shore. He was leaving footprints in the sand and smiled warmly at her.

"Hey there!" he called over the sound of the waves. "Nice day, isn't it?"

Jess smiled back. "Yeah, it is. I'm Jess."

"Nice to meet you, Jess. I'm Liam," he said, offering a friendly handshake. His grip was firm but kind, and his eyes were warm.

They walked along the beach together, chatting easily. Liam talked about the local area and mentioned his family's pub called "The Salt & Sea."

"It might not look like much from the outside," Liam said with a chuckle, "but it's got character. And the food's pretty good if I do say so myself."

Jess was intrigued. The idea of a local pub where she could meet people and settle into the community sounded good. "That sounds nice," she said. "I've been looking for new places around here."

"Why don't you come by and check it out?" Liam suggested with a smile. "We've got live music tonight. It's a great way to get to know the area and meet some friendly faces."

Jess thought about it. She wasn't sure if she was ready to dive into social activities, but Liam's easygoing nature and the idea of meeting locals seemed like a good distraction. "That sounds good," she said. "I might just do that."

Later that night, Jess and Liam arrived at the pub. The place had a cozy, relaxed vibe with soft lighting and a warm atmosphere. The wooden bar and simple décor made Jess feel welcome.

"You own this place?" Jess asked as they approached the bar.

Liam winked. "Not entirely. It's a partnership," he said with a smile.

"It's nice. You've done a great job," Jess said as they sat in a booth. They ordered drinks to start their evening. Jess reminded herself to be careful with alcohol—she wanted to avoid any drama like she had with Rick.

She tried to shake off her doubts. Liam had been very kind, and his gestures were gentle.

As they waited for their drinks, Jess wondered if Liam had a romantic interest in her. She looked at him again and noticed his smile was infectious.

"Are you doing okay?" Liam asked, noticing her change in mood.

Jess quickly met his gaze and forced a smile. "Yes, I'm fine. Thanks," she replied, trying to push away her unease.

"So, what brought you to this place?" Liam asked, twirling a shot glass between his fingers.

"Just needed a change," Jess said, sipping her drink carefully. The strong liquor warmed her throat, and she laughed, "Wow, that's strong."

Liam laughed too. "That's our special mix. Is it too much for you?" He looked at her with concern in his eyes.

Jess almost choked as she looked into his hazel eyes. They reminded her of Rick's. "Hazel eyes! You have hazel eyes!" she exclaimed.

Liam seemed surprised for a moment but then smiled. "Yeah, it runs in the family," he said, amused by her reaction, though he didn't know why it mattered so much to her.

"Sorry for blurting that out," Jess said with a small grin. "I was just surprised. There aren't many people with hazel eyes."

"But you found me, didn't you?" Liam said with a hint of curiosity, leaving his comment open to interpretation.

"Cheers!" Jess said, lifting her glass to change the subject. She wasn't ready for any romantic talk, especially while she was still dealing with her feelings.

She took a deep breath and said seriously, "Liam, I just want to be clear. I'm here to get away from something and someone. I'm not looking to start any relationships right now. It wouldn't be fair to anyone."

Liam listened quietly and then nodded. "Sorry if I came on too strong. I didn't mean to. Let's just be friends, Jess. No strings attached." He offered his hand for a handshake.

She laughed, feeling a bit relieved. "Friends it is."

As the evening went on, they chatted more about the town's history and the harbor's role in the local economy. Liam mentioned his cousin inspired him to open the pub, but Jess wasn't too curious about the details. For now, she enjoyed the simple, genuine connection she was building with Liam.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 85 24
Meet Ella Marcus, a young inconvenienced teenager who became what she didn't want to be at such a young age. Meet Gabriel Jerry, a teenage playboy wh...
16.3K 2.2K 45
[Featured in Official Romance Reading List] [Featured in Official TeenFiction Reading List] [Featured in Official YA Reading List] [Featured in Offic...
35.2K 1.3K 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
5.3K 293 28
Amelia Claire, your typical beauty who's innocent and sassy at the same time. Shawn Whitman, who falls in love with the innocence she carries, the m...