Hustle (Sample and Bonus Chap...

By AYClaudy

South Eastern University: Where the football players are royalty and Andrew Fayden is king. College was supp... More

Hustle
1: Naive
2: Work For It
3: Only Talking
4: Truth
WARNING
NOW PUBLISHED Ebook and Paperback
1: Naive (ANDREW'S POV- Bonus Chapter )
16: Almost/ 17: Distraction (Andrew's POV Bonus Chapter)
See Me (Andrew's POV- Bonus Chapter)
Warning (Drew POV Bonus Chapter)
28: This Time (Drew's POV Bonus Chapters)

5: Tattoo

251K 8K 2.1K
By AYClaudy

There's no relief outside the bar, no break in the sea of people. The cover of darkness is non-existent with the lights shining from the bars along the square. I try and repress the tears by breathing in the night air, but it is humid, sticky and thick, and I only choke on it-that and my humiliation.

I reach for my phone as I weave through the groups of people waiting to get into the bar, but my fingers freeze on the screen. I can't call Rose, that'll only prove what he said.

"Brook, wait," my friend's voice breaks out behind me and I pause, turning to locate her in the crowd. She slips through a wall of people and stops in front of me, confusion swirling in her eyes. "What are you doing? Why did you just leave like that?"

"I-" My voice cracks and I take a breath, but it sounds like a sniffle. I will myself to stop, to stop being so pathetic, but that only makes it harder.

"Hey," She reaches one arm out to my shoulder and rubs. "What's wrong? Did your mom text back?" She pulls me into her tiny, but tight, embrace. "It's okay to go out, she'll get over it."

"It's not that." I pull away and swipe at the tears that were stupid enough to fall. "Kyle..." I lift my hand to the bar, unable to form what Kyle had said.

"He's a jerk, everyone knows it. Ignore him." She smiles, one of those tight-lipped smiles that scream pity and grabs my hand. "Lets go clean up and go back in. Don't let him bother you."

"No." I plant my feet, not following as she steps away. "It's more than him being a jerk."

"Brook, come on." She pleads, impatience slipping in to her tone. "This is my last night to spend with TJ before he's gone all weekend. Just stay a little bit longer."

"They don't want me around. TJ's friends were tasked with keeping me away from you two."

Her head tilts and eyes scrunch in puzzlement. "What are you talking about?"

"The whole reason Andrew paid attention to me last night was so TJ could get you alone, and then tonight that was supposed to be Kyle's job, but like you said, he's a jerk, so he just cut straight to it and told me." Or maybe he's just the only honest one.

She scratches her nails through her purple locks, pulling the strands over one shoulder as she looks back at the bar. "That doesn't make sense." She turns back to me, denying it all with a stubborn shake of her head. "Kyle's just being an ass. I've already told TJ I would spend the night with him tonight."

That snaps me out of my own head, and I focus on my friend. There's an excitement brightening her lovely eyes, but there's also a nervous twitch to her smile.

"Wow. You two are getting serious?"

"I'm just making some good memories." She shrugs one shoulder. "The team has a reputation for more than just winning games. I know what this is. But I'll take him, while I got him." There's an echo of sadness in her words, betraying her careless act.

"Oh."

"Come on, let's go in and talk to TJ. I bet Kyle's full of it." She smiles a genuine smile and steps towards me.

"No. I'm going to go. I'm over tonight. Even if Kyle is lying, I still made a fool of myself in there, crying in front of him." I blow out my frustration, I wish I hadn't cried, but I've never really had control of that.

"I'll leave with you, let me just go get my things and say bye." The way she sighs hurts. She's just as annoyed with me as the boys were.

I try to give her a smile, since she's clearly willing to sacrifice her fun night for me. "You don't need to leave. Stay if you want. I've got homework to do anyways."

"Really?" She's instantly brighter.

I nod, holding back the warnings I want to give. Doesn't matter what intentions you have, it's not a good idea to stop people from doing what they want. It only backfires. But the concern thickens my throat. "Text me though if anything changes- if you need anything."

She hugs me with a little squeal. "I will, but everything will be okay, I know." She pulls back and points her finger at me with a mock stern tone, "You text me when you get back to the dorm, let me know you made it safe."

I nod and turn to go. We had promised when we went out together we would leave together, not even a month later we were breaking that promise. But she had already made up her mind, and I just wanted to go to bed. And I didn't want to be the girl that ruined everyone else's fun.

***

"Sigma Delta?" the turning in my stomach wasn't pleasant at all.

Rose shakes her head, large grin splitting her face. "Recruiting isn't officially till spring, but they said we should think about it."

"We?" I was sure I probably wasn't mentioned.

With a click of her tongue, she plops on my bed, bouncing me a little. "Yes we." She knocks into me with her shoulder. "They said you were sweet, they all wondered where you went last night. Forget about what Kyle said, everyone knows he's a jerk. But he's their teammate. The players are out of town anyways, but the girls invited us over tomorrow."

Tatum, Layla, and Deena had seemed nice, but the idea of a sorority, of putting myself out there like that, made all my insecurities raise to the surface like filthy oil in the bay, unable to rid myself of it. But I'm suppose to try new things. That's my goal, right? "Okay."

"All right." She claps her hands together and rubs like she's starting a fire. "Not for nothing, but I was starting to worry. You've been slacking on our mission this semester. Remember, we're supposed to be living it up, trying new things, breaking out, making the best memories we can."

"If you say so." I give her a teasing grin. "How's your memories from last night."

"The best. And that's all I'm going to say about that." She presses her lips together like she means it, and then bursts. "Except lets just say, everything about him is proportional. And he's got great stamina."

I'm turning red, I know it. But I can't help but hang on whatever information she's giving. And my embarrassment only eggs her on.

"He could lift me, and bend me, and his fingers-" her words brake into giggles as I cover my red hot face with my hands. "I'm sorry, I forgot I was talking to virgin ears. But I'll say this one last thing," she sighs, and I can't tell if it's exaggerated or completely genuine, "It was perfect. He was unbearably sweet, too. Did you see, he let me where his jersey home?"

She was showered and changed now, but I knew the jersey was hung up in her closet. And a warm happiness filled my heart for my friend.

"That has to be a good sign. That has to mean something," I encourage.

"Maybe." Her smile tightens and she shakes her head. "But maybe not." She closes her eyes and when they pop open she changes tracks and stands up. "What are we going to do tonight? Let's go get that tattoo we were supposed to get last weekend. I need a tattoo to celebrate."

I take a breath and rise to my feet, feeding off her excitement. "Sounds good to me. A tattoo will definitely be something new. Lets do it." I shake my vibrating limbs, pumping myself up.

"But first, let's do a power hour to rally." She opens the mini fridge that's within reach in the small, square space of our dorm and swings back around with two beers, handing me one of the blue cans. "I've got a power hour mix on my phone- hold on."

"Maybe just a power twenty." I crack the can, needing the liquid courage.

"Sip." Music starts in the background and Rose sits down on her bed. "Twenty it is, as long as you finish the beer in that time. All right, next drink to new experiences and awesome roommates." She lifts her beer and the song switches, signaling time for another drink.

***

The light fabric of my sun dress rubs against the healing tattoo on my stomach, a tiny scar. It swishes with every step I take, an itchy burn is a constant reminder, but it isn't actually unpleasant. It gives me confidence, reminds me that I can be anyone I want now. A new me, for a new place.

I need the extra confidence as I follow Layla into Sigma Delta's living room. It's not like the frat party the other night after the game. The room is full but not overflowing. It's at a level where you can't just disappear in a crowd, and anxiety is already snaking into my beating heart.

"Brook. Rose, you made it." Deena rises from her seat, a wine glass in hand, and adjusts her tight skirt as she approaches us. She leans in and gives Rose a kiss on the cheek and it shocks me when she does the same to me, and her hand stays on my shoulder. "Glad you came out. Where'd you go last night?"

"Nowhere." I shake my head and run my fingers through my hair, trying to shrug off my nerves. "Back to my dorm and did some homework."

Layla's dark eyes meet mine with a sympathetic, but doubtful, look. "We know Kyle was being- well Kyle. Don't let him get to you. He can be harsh, but he's like that with everyone. Really, he's not so bad when you get to know him."

I freeze, wondering what they knew and if they saw or if Kyle told them.

Deena barks out a laugh. "No. He stays an asshole, you just get use to it- Forget about them. Do you want a drink?"

"Yes." Rose speaks up and I nod in agreement.

I scan the large grey and pink living room as we walk through it, towards the kitchen. "Is Tatum here?"

"No, she had some dance audition in Orlando- I think she's spending the weekend at home after that," Deena turns back to explain.

Layla nudges me and speaks in a soft voice. "Don't worry about Tatum. She may have a thing with Andrew, but she wont hold it against you that you messed with him."

"Wh-What?" I choke on my words.

"Shit." Rose grabs my hand. "I'm sorry. I forgot I told them about what Kyle said and about Andrew pulling you away Wednesday night."

My mouth opens, but no words form.

"Tatum and Andrew had left by that point, so she doesn't even know." Deena lays out the facts with her hand on her hip and deep red curls bouncing. "But if she's fine with him banging Layla and half the female population, I'm sure she'll get over you kissing him."

I cover my face with my hands, stomach turning sour.

Rose pumped my hand with hers. "It's not like it's your fault anyways. You didn't know he was in a relationship then."

"Oh, they are not in a relationship," Layla interjects. "They are friends, or something. She shuts down about whatever they are, or whatever they were to each other. But they are both single. You did nothing wrong."

"Here, take a drink." Deena hands me a glass of white wine. "Forget about it. Let me introduce you two around."

***

"I need the credit and service hours for my med school application," Scott explains as he pulls out his phone. "I've been meaning to contact you since you dropped off the information in our class at the start of the year." His blue eyes glance up at me. "But I lost the paper. Is it too late to sign up?"

"No, it's not too late. Here let me get you the information now." I riffle through my purse and find my phone on the bottom. "I can air drop you the application. You can also stop by tomorrow and start if you're free. It's at the south gym." It was a relief to talk about this. Small talk had been slowly eating away at me, wearing on me. Plus, we needed more guys at the clinic. We needed more people in general, since kids kept signing up, but our staff was staying the same.

"Scott, I see you've met Brook." Deena sidled up to Scott, brushing the shoulder of his button up shirt. "Brook is thinking of pledging with us in the spring, right Brook?"

Scott looked from Deena to me with a wide grin. "Really? I'm a Sig."

"That's our brother Frat." She winks at me from behind him so he doesn't see. "Scott's a senior brother and you graduate in the spring, right? Pre-med?"

His smile slips as he narrows his eyes at her. "Yeah. I do."

"You two should exchange numbers." She glances directly at our phones in our hand.

I let off a nervous laugh and Deena only smiles like she's innocent. If she's trying to match us up, she's making it really awkward. "I was sending him information about the child development clinic I work with on Saturdays."

He clears his throat and slides his hand over his blonde hair to the back of his neck. "I'll stop by tomorrow, Brook." He lifts his beer to Deena. "See you around." And then he walks away.

"Ohh girl. That's a good one. Pre med and from our brother frat. I can't wait till you pledge." She links her long skinny arm through mine, leading me back to the kitchen where Rose and Layla are.

I'm not even sure when I had made the decision to pledge, it just seemed assumed now, and I didn't contradict them.

"Are the football players in a frat?" I convinced myself I was asking for Rose, because my sexy green eyed player was supposed to be out of my mind.

Deena smirked and looked down on me like she could read my thoughts, and knew who I was really curious about. "No. They're their own brothers. Coach wont let them run. But they're accepted at all frats, all sororities too."

***

I was still feeling the effects of staying up too late and waking up too early on Monday morning as I drag a net of various balls up the steps of the south gym. It's not heavy, but it's large and awkward. I try to pull on the bag, but it stretches, even if I hold it over my shoulder it drags on the concrete.

I get it up the few stairs and am fighting to hold the door open and pull the bag through when a hand reaches down from behind me and lifts the bag away.

"Let me." Andrew's voice is instantly recognizable. So is his scent and heat. I would of known it was him even if he hadn't spoken, even if I hadn't turned around and looked directly into those forest green eyes.

But, oh lord, I don't look at the eyes for long because he's shirtless and sweaty. His olive skin has a sheen as it stretches over his muscles, perfect muscles, with scattered tattoos on his shoulders and chest.

He grins at me, the bag tossed over his shoulder like it's nothing.

"That wasn't heavy. I wasn't struggling because I can't lift it. I can lift it. I'm not that weak. It's just balls with air. That's not heavy." I look away, flustered, embarrassed, but the heat running through me is more than that. I'm turned on standing this close to him, having his eyes run over me, wishing it were his hands. I slap down the traitorous thoughts.

"Where are you going with these?" He quirks his brow, ignoring my rambling.

"To the storage closet in the gymnasium." I point in that direction, heart kicking up as I follow behind him, taking in the view of his back. Large wings span across his shoulders, something written in between them, but it's not clear with the bag over his back. I try to keep my eyes raised, away from his bare back and gym shorts. But even the damp curls on his neck are sexy and add heat to my blood.

"I have the key." I step in front of him to unlock the storage room and step out of the way so he can pass through.

"What are you doing with this stuff?" He asks as he sets the bag down in the closet.

"They were donations for the clinic on Saturday."

He turns to me fully, hands empty now, and his eyes travel over me like he's not listening to a word I say.

"You got that tattoo?" His eyes stop on my stomach.

Only a thin slice of skin is showing, since my arm is stretched to the door handle of the closet, but he had zeroed in on the barely seen ink under my top and skirt. I drop my arm and pull my shirt down, covering it. "Yeah."

"Why?" he shakes his head. "You didn't want it."

I scoff. "Yeah, I did. That's why I got it."

He steps to me like he owns me and lifts the edge of my shirt to expose the top of the star. The ink is surrounded in red healing skin.

He's so close to me, his fingers grazing and tickling my skin. His presence clouds my thoughts and my reaction are too slow, like I'm moving through a fog. But I step back, gasping for air and making his hand fall away.

"Thanks for your help." I close the closet door.

He leans against the wall to the side of me, arms crossed, watching as I lock the storage room back up. And his gaze makes it take longer, since my hands are shaking.

"Why didn't you come over last night with your purple haired friend?"

"Rose?" I step back, like I'm going to walk away, but I can't seem to get my body to turn, trapped under his gaze. "I don't follow her around. You don't have to worry about entertaining me so she can hang out with TJ."

His eyes narrow, but a slow smile stretches his lips. "Are you angry?"

"I- uh-I'm just saying." I step back into the open space of the gym, but he matches my step, not giving me space to think. "you can leave me alone now. You don't have to worry about me blocking your friend."

He laughs and it vibrates through me, liquefying my muscles as I struggle to maintain my anger.

"I'm not worried about anything. Maybe I helped him out some by pulling you to the side, but maybe he was helping me out too."

I close my mouth and nod. "Right. Well, I've got to go." I was about to combust from nerves. He was some sort of devil is all I could think, to have such power over my body. It wasn't fair how calm and cool he stayed.

"Where?"

"What?" I spin back around at his question.

"Where do you need to go?" He speaks each word slow and clear, taking steps to be right in front of me again. "What are you doing later?"

I shake my head and hold my breath, trying to remember what words are and how to speak them when all I want to do is touch the lines in his abs and trace the ink on his shoulders and chest.

One hand slips behind my neck and he lifts my head to meet his eyes. "This isn't about your friend, Brook. She's not around right now. So answer me, because I want to see you later."

--------

A/N

I made the silly decision to attempt two stories at once, because they both want to be told. Turns out i'm not nearly that bad ass. I can't handle it. It physically hurts to climb out of one story and get into the other- They are worlds apart and there's jet lag and what not, so then it takes a day to adjust to my new surroundings before I can write again. Bottom line, it slows me down and stifles the stories.

I've got to bottle one up and give the other room to be told. So the question is which one? TRASH or Hustle?

Both are equally interesting in my mind, and neither are epic stories that will take a long time to tell (like outside the ropes) so I should be able to finish quick after I focus on one.

You guys get to decide. I have a feeling this one will win because you all are more vocal and I love that- otherwise reads and votes are about equal. I'm a people pleaser- I can't even deny it. But I will update TRASH tomorrow and see how it does. Then I'll start focusing on one or the other.

I apologize for having to put either story on hold, but it won't be for long (maybe a month or two) and it really is best for the stories in the end.

Ready, set- vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 74 35
People say when you love something, it's hard to stay away no matter what; it could be a deadly disease and you still won't be able to stay away. Fro...
180K 4.8K 43
It was one of those celebratory nights of Chris and his teammates at , the local dinner. They were a whole chaos of drunkards and noise but people d...
10.1K 117 6
-BOOK 2- The second book in the series of "Thrill in Danger" books. Nothing lasts forever. Happiness always comes to an end. People come and go. T...
4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...