Outside The Box

By Hamsterfungus

"The truth lies outside the box." After America and Canada has fallen due to ongoing conflicts many years ag... More

Prologue: The Recording
Chapter One: Normal Mornings
Chapter Two: Praying Pianos
Chapter Three: Unwanted Memories
Chapter Four: Banes Point
Chapter Five: Seven Years Later
Chapter Seven: A Living Doll
Chapter Eight: Celebration
Chapter Nine: Dancing Firelight
Chapter Ten: Going Home
Part Two Chapter One: Memories to Forget.
Part Two Chapter Two: Unspoken Details
Part Two Chapter Three: Downpour
Part Two Chapter Four: Layer of Dust
Part Two Chapter Five: Guilt and Fear
Part Two Chapter Six: Hushed
Part Two Chapter Seven: Listening In
Part Two Chapter Eight: Uncertainty
Part Two Chapter Nine: Incandescent Lights
Part Two Chapter Ten: Anticipation
Part Two Chapter Eleven: Fatherly Love
Part Two Chapter Twelve: Roses
Part Three Chapter One: Blood of The Father
Part Three Chapter Two: Wedding Bells Brings Mourning Flowers
Part Three Chapter Three: Praying Violins
Part Three Chapter Four: Three Times
Part Three Chapter Five: Inside the Box
Part Three Chapter Six: Love
Part Three Chapter Seven: Fate Catching Up
Part Three Chapter Eight: Star Dusted Sky
Part Three Chapter Nine: Outside the Box
Part Three Chapter Ten: Normal Afternoons
Part Three Chapter Eleven: A Mother's Duty
Part Three Chapter Twelve: Memories to Remember
Epilogue: The Recording

Chapter Six: Upside Down

2 0 0
By Hamsterfungus

December 7th, 2084- 11:14 AM.
Ainz Daniels.

       I kicked one of the soldiers that grasped my bonded wrists in the shins and went to kick another before my legs were restrained and bonded together, too. With my vision concealed by what feels be a burlap sack, I grasped for any information with my other senses. I heard the soldiers muttering amongst themselves; however, their words were nothing more than muffles beneath this sack. The pungent smell from the sack over bared my nose and I nearly vomited just from it as if something died in here. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to die in here, too. I tasted the iron along my tongue from where I think I bit my tongue during the scuffle.

       All my senses are failing me. I had to trust that I knew where we were going. I know this city like the back of my hand.

       My feet dragged along a smooth surface before they were lifted from the ground and banged against something cold. I hear more shuffles followed by a door closing. A low rumble caused the platform beneath me to tremble slightly before a sharp motion tugged me to my side. We were on some sort of vehicle.

       With my limbs tied together, I couldn't sit myself up, so I focused on which direction we were headed. Left. Right. Right again. Left. We were going in a zig-zag pattern. Perhaps they were making sure we weren't being followed.

       The longer the trip was going, the more difficult it was to breathe. The stench of the burlap sack overtook me, and a pounding headache thumped against my skull along with some dizziness. I prayed I didn't throw up in this dead animal's tomb.

       The vehicle halted to a stop and the soldiers began talking amongst each other again but was quickly shut up by someone. I only assume it was Jan.

       What is Jan thinking right now? He just helped kidnap one of Joss's friends and yet he was wanting forgiveness from her. He is never going to get it at this point.

       The rumbling stopped and it wasn't long before I was once again dragged to my feet and carried off to some unknown location. No matter how long I thought about it, I have no idea where we were. My feet dragged along crumbling concrete before it changed to the smooth texture of tiled flooring. They slumped me into a chair and tied more rope around the back of the chair and across my abdomen.

       At this point, my breath was nothing more than wheezes. I swear my head was about to explode or float away by how dizzy I am.

       "Ainz Daniels." A familiar voice said. My wheezes halted. "You were easier to get a hold of than I originally thought."

       Xavier Coles.

       I didn't bother to ask for demands, so he kept talking. "I am going to make this simple for you, Mr. Daniels. If you tell me what I want to hear, then the faster you can go back to your mundane life in Grayson's Tides." I hear his booted feet thump against the floor as he rounded behind me. "Do you know anything about the origin of the Infected?"

       I shook my head, unable to utter a word let alone a breath. I was suffocating.

       "I really thought you would know considering your parents were the heads of the Infected worshipping cult. Such a shame, that tragedy. All those bodies... All that information left forgotten..." He paused a moment. "Except for the lone survivor. A fifteen-year-old boy being left to his own devices in the world with important information. That is, until he met a certain someone's daughter."

       I choked on my own saliva, followed by a whimper.

       "You cannot tell me Joss hasn't told you anything. You have been together for almost a decade, and she hasn't told you anything regarding the Infected?" Xavier waited for my response again, but I physically couldn't answer him. "I thought she would at least tell you where the Infected came from? But I guess she learned from her two past mistakes."

       Joss knows where the Infected came from and she never said anything about it? I always knew she was hiding things from me, but not that. Does she not trust me?

       I heard muttering come from in front of me followed by a gunshot. My ears rang and I shuddered. Xavier made an annoyed sound before placing his hands on my shoulders.

       "All the game pieces are on the board, and I won't let my daughter's idiotic decisions make me lose this game. The fate of the world and my family's reputation is at stake. I hope you'll be mature enough to understand that." He said softly in my ear.

       He said more, but my head became all foggy before I fell into the deep and dark abyss.

----------

       I woke up to be met with Jan's crystal blue eyes. He held the burlap sack in his hand and rope in the other. I laid on the tiled floor with my wrists all red and bruised from the rope. It took me a moment to realize what happened until I found myself vomiting on the floor.

       Jan knelt beside me and waited until I was finished before speaking.

       "I'm sorry." Was all Jan said.

       "Don't you dare say you're sorry." I said with venom in my tone as I struggled to stand up. "Just take me out of this damn building."

       Jan led me silently out of the building, and I noticed that he was the only one left in the area. "Where are your other buddies? Out to kidnap Bex or something?" I mindlessly stroked my sore throat.

       "No."

       "No? What do you mean 'no?' I highly doubt Xavier would send out his lackeys just to kidnap me?"

       "We are only following his orders, Ainz. It was nothing personal."

       "I know. But perhaps you should stop obeying his orders once in a while."

       We rounded a corner, and a busy street came into view. "I can't." Jan said.

       "What do you mean by that?"

       "Ainz..." Jan said my name sadly. "By disobeying Xavier's orders, we aren't just committing insubordination. If we don't follow him then we will die. I have a family I want to protect from him." I glanced at Jan, and he looked at me with worried eyes. He was telling the truth. "People tend to go missing in Xavier's squad before they are swiftly replaced by someone new. Leah and I only made it this long in his squad because of our mindless devotion to him. I know that those that go missing are killed and I never want to see Leah's blood on his hands."

       I remember the gunshot that rang out earlier and now I understand that it was probably a soldier not being "devoted" anymore. I didn't see the body, so I wonder what Xavier did with it?

       "Wait. How come you're the only one escorting me?" I asked as we pushed pass a crowd of shoppers. "Isn't Xavier worried that you'll do something to me?"

       Jan looked at me again before watching ahead of him. "Xavier isn't worried about me anymore. I have been in his squad since I was sixteen and he knows about the people I would lose if I ever tried something. He knows I'll do whatever he orders me to do."

       We made it back to the bar Joss and I found Bex in, but Jan stayed concealed behind the corner of the building opposite it. I glanced back to the bar to see Regina, Bex, and Joss lounging around an armored vehicle. I spun around to face Jan once more. "Thanks for being honest with me. I understand now what pressure you guys are under."

       Jan shook his head. "I was only following Xavier's orders."

       "I know, but eventually you might want to think about disappearing on your own. Or we'll do it for you."

       "Is that a threat?"

       "No, but I can make it one if you want?"

       Jan chuckled slightly before he waved me off and disappeared into the shadows of the building.

       I joined up with Regina, Bex, and Joss at the vehicle with Joss inspecting me from head to toe.

       "What happened to you? Did you fall into a sewer pipe or something?" Joss motioned at my mated hair, my face with crumbling dirt, and my disheveled clothes. She sniffed me, too. "And you smell disgusting."

       I chuckled softly. "I got lost and fell into someone's back porch. You know how weird the houses are around the hillside." It wasn't a very believable lie and I know Joss sees right through it, but it seems she was lying about things, too. Plus, I didn't want Jan to get into trouble with Regina since that would blow Jan's entire cover.

       Joss only glanced at me suspiciously before climbing into the vehicle.

----------

       We sat on metal benches facing each other in the back of the truck. None of us uttered a word with each other; no doubt all of us were anxious to get home. Regina is personally driving the vehicle accompanied by a few of her squad members. The rest of them stayed behind to keep an eye on Xavier's squad.

       I wonder what Xavier did with the body. From checking the clock in the vehicle before we left, it was only a couple hours in the time I left the bar and when I met back up with the group. Where in the city does one dispose of a body that quickly and undetected?

       The truck abruptly halted to a stop and all of us exchanged confused glances before Regina told us through the small window leading to front to get out of the truck. We obeyed her orders and rounded to the front of the truck to investigate.

       My throat constricted as I realized where Xavier disposed that soldier's body.

       In the middle of the road, the soldier laid limp on his back with a gunshot hole in his head. He was naked from the waist up with a symbol carved into his bloodied chest. An upside-down club like the symbol used in playing cards was engraved into his flesh with the blood around it pooling all over him and the road. I recognize the symbol and so does the entire nation of Glenmont.

       It was the symbol of Renfrew; the nation Glenmont has been at war with for eighty years.

       Xavier knows that we left Banes Point and has already sent out a threat to us, but why did he etch the Renfrew symbol into this soldier, this pawn? I glanced over at Joss, and she did not appear shocked like the rest of us. It seems as if the symbol was all too personal for her.

       She also had the face of someone that was hiding something. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 207 27
Anna finally escapes her tormented past and has hope for her future, but as lies spiral on and life becomes a reality she realises that everything is...
30.4K 1.1K 36
Sequel to The Stand In. ****** "Elle! You can't be serious?!" I turn, glaring at him with fury. "Deadly! How could you let it go this far? What was t...
352 71 48
Althea Alinac is of fae origin, born into royalty by Fae parents, yet mysteriously has human healing abilities, this anomaly has left her in the dark...
2K 184 32
(Book 3 of The Zoshan Chronicles) [Editing in Progress] What would you do to silence the lies? How far would you go? After taking matters into her ow...