Rhythm of Heartbreak

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul with one fervent desire: to bind herself to Shaun forever. She dedicates herself to... More

Prologue: Inner Turmoil
Chapter 1: Meet Jess Lynn
Chapter 2: Cracks of the Present
Chapter 3: Tension Building
Chapter 4: The Raw Betrayal
Chapter 5: The Aftermath
Chapter 6: A Glimpse of Talent
Chapter 7: The Talent Scout
Chapter 8: The Audition
Chapter 9: The Task at Hand
Chapter 10: The Debut
Chapter 11: The Bootcamp
Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude
Chapter 13: Music and Party
Chapter 14: Under the Spotlight
Chapter 15: The Duet
Chapter 16: The Confrontation
Chapter 17: Awkward Encounters
Chapter 18: Complicated Dynamics
Chapter 19: Harmonies and Discords
Chapter 20: The Drunken Kiss
Chapter 21: Songs and Lyrics
Chapter 22: Conversation and Chances
Chapter 23: Regrets and Heartache
Chapter 24: Good News, Bad News
Chapter 25: A Heart Divided
Chapter 26: Fleeting Moment
Chapter 27: Unspoken Desires
Chapter 28: Into the Storm
Chapter 29: Tangled Melodies
Chapter 30: The Portrait of the Fallen
Chapter 31: Shattered Illusion
Chapter 32: Shadows from the Past
Chapter 33: The Dilemma
Chapter 34: Unraveled Secrets
Chapter 35: Entanglement
Chapter 36: Shattered Reflections
Chapter 38: New Place, New Connections
Chapter 39: Serenade and Shadows
Chapter 40: Farewell and Finality
Chapter 41: Echoes of Redemption
Chapter 42: The Healing
Chapter 43: Mending Hearts
Chapter 44: Facing the Spotlight
Chapter 45: Rhythm of Love

Chapter 37: New Beginning, Hidden Wounds

111 4 4
By avidnovela

Shaun's face was etched with guilt. He knew his actions had caused Jess's suffering. His selfish choices and narrow focus had led to attacks on her from all sides. The weight of his regret felt heavy, a consequence of his greed that had hurt Jess, who was innocent.

"Hey," she tried to smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"When was the last time you ate?" Shaun asked, his touch warm and caring.

"Shaun..." Jess's composure broke, and she burst into tears. Her pain felt endless, and she wanted desperately to forget Rick and return to who she was before.

Shaun wrapped her in his arms again, murmuring, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Jess." His voice was full of regret.

Seeing her cry hurt Shaun deeply. He wished he could fix everything magically. Though he knew pain was part of healing, being the cause of Jess's distress was a torment in itself.

"I'm such a loser," Jess said, letting out a humorless laugh.

She wished she could find comfort. Jess understood that emotional pain had a purpose—it was meant to teach her. She had resisted pain for so long, and now, when she faltered, it felt overwhelming. Avoiding it would only prolong her suffering; she needed to face it. But where to start?

Her thoughts were tangled when Shaun kissed her. In his embrace, she felt momentarily safe, a brief escape from her turmoil. But she couldn't help longing for Rick. His voice, his eyes, and his laughter haunted her. The comparison was cruel—Rick's presence lingered day and night.

She pulled away from the kiss, wiping her tears. "Shaun, we should stop."

Though hurt, Shaun nodded. He guided her back to the living room and settled her there. "Don't move. I'll make something for you," he said before heading to the kitchen.

Jess followed him, her thoughts drifting. "I remember how you used to not let me in this kitchen," she said.

Shaun chuckled. "You used to burn everything. How could I trust you back then?"

"But I got better. I learned new dishes, and you liked my cooking eventually..." she said, her voice faint.

Shaun smiled and gently touched her face. "Yes, you did. That's who you are, Jess. You don't give up. You get better."

Jess sighed. "I'm stepping away from the music industry, Shaun. I need to heal before I can continue. I can't keep feeling this way."

Shaun's face fell. He wanted to convince her to stay, but his actions had caused too much damage. He had aimed to hurt Rick, but the impact had landed on Jess instead.

"I have no words. I'm deeply saddened by this," he said, his voice defeated.

Jess shrugged and bit her lip. "Well, when it rains, it pours," she said, hugging Shaun one last time.

"I'll probably see you someday," she added, her voice filled with uncertainty.

Shaun nodded, unable to find more words.

As Jess thought about her situation, a glimmer of hope started to shine through. She decided to let this experience teach her something, accepting her current weakness but promising herself strength for the future. Despite the pain Rick's memory brought, she was determined to face it. She believed that only the strongest can choose their battles wisely, and this was hers.

With quiet resolve, she prayed for strength and wisdom for the path ahead.

Saying goodbye to the recording label was unexpectedly emotional. Jess had never thought she'd experience so many meaningful moments in such a short time. Despite everything, she had no regrets about taking risks and being bold.

When she entered the room, she was met by sad faces—Bennie, Sussie, Marlin, and Alexander were there, their expressions full of sympathy.

"We're so sorry for all the chaos in your life," Sussie said softly.

Jess managed a small smile. "You don't have to go, you know that, right?" Alexander added, trying to comfort her.

She shook her head gently. "Too much damage has been done, and I don't want to drag the label's reputation through the mud. It wouldn't be fair to everyone here," she explained.

"Where will you go?" Alexander asked again.

"I'm not sure yet. I'll see where this newfound freedom takes me," she replied, pausing. She thought about asking about Rick but decided against it, knowing it wouldn't change anything.

"You're always welcome here," Bennie said sincerely. "Come back if you ever change your mind."

Jess nodded, hugging the four people who had changed her life. She thanked them for the opportunities and the memories they had shared.

As she left the building, she wiped away tears and tried to calm herself. This was the start of a new chapter, away from the spotlight. She had never felt completely at ease there. Now, she just needed to move forward without looking back.

Later, Jess went to Fred's Diner to let them know she'd be leaving for a while. Fred, always respectful of his employees' privacy, gave her a warm hug and wished her luck. Jose and Leny were there too, and they shared what might be their last meal together for a long time.

The next day, Jess visited the hospital to finalize her mother's transfer request. The media frenzy had escalated to the point of harassing Kris, which was affecting her recovery. Jess's top priority was protecting her mom, and moving away seemed like the best solution.

"Are you okay with leaving everything behind?" Kris asked, concern in her voice.

Jess smiled, hiding her sadness. "Of course, I'm not blinded by fame, Mom. Besides, I haven't reached a point where fleeing means I'm losing big time," she said with a light laugh.

"Come here, Jess," Kris said, opening her arms. "You don't have to pretend with me. I know you're hurting, and if this is the best way for you to heal, then let's do it together. I know I've contributed to what you're going through, so I'm here for you—as your mother and as your friend," she assured her.

This time, Jess's smile was genuine. "Thank you, Mom. I appreciate that."

Kris gently tapped Jess's head and asked, "So, where are we headed?"

Jess winked and whispered, "It's a surprise..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 1.4K 29
Two individuals who are polar opposites of one another. "You are a pain in my eyes, Sunny." Find each other in the most unexpected times. But as tim...
Damaged By .

Fanfiction

590 53 12
"You fed me fear, I spoke to God I was living my dreams through your eyes Building my life on your lies, yeah You just laughed when I cried.. " Jess...
9.1K 640 62
It starts at a concert. For years, the haunting melodies and darkly poetic lyrics of Oliver Rose and The Thorns have provided Madison solace and insp...
34.1K 1.3K 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...