holy ground [j.h]

By bennettcaufieldinc

and right there where we stood was holy ground. More

coming soon
CAST
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 1

2.5K 27 23
By bennettcaufieldinc

August was my favorite and least favorite month of the year. August is so peaceful because there's not much to do for the majority of it. There's no Fourth of July holiday to celebrate, and you're in the rhythm of summer. But of course, the flow has to be cut off by school every single time. The wave of summer was crashing on the shore, and I was about to be a senior. My mom hasn't shut up about it since my sister is already in college and I'm the youngest. 

I had decided to spend this last Thursday of summer in Caroline's bed, binge watching "The Vampire Diaries." I was wrapped up in the blankets of her bed with her French bulldog Georgia, and I couldn't really ask for anything better. My eyes were glued to the screen in anticipation as one of my favorite scenes in the show's history played out before my eyes. Maybe it's because my name is Elena or something, but I swear this show has some sort of magical effect on me. 

"Make my heart a better place! Don't tear me down!" I sang along with the TV, waving my arms like I was at a concert while Damon and Elena danced at the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, making my best friend laugh. Caroline's personal concert was cut short by the Beecher front door being swung open, and the voices of Caroline's twin brother and his friends echoed up the stairs. I should have been expecting them, I spent almost every day with Johnny and Caroline and know his hockey schedule inside and out. I turned my head to make a comment about what Natasha had made for dinner, but noticed the zoned out look on Care's face. Trevor had this effect on her since we were freshmen, I couldn't hold in my laughter.

"Care! Elena! Come down for dinner!" Caroline's mom yelled up the steps, which shook her from her daze and she turned to look at me. 

"You know, you could try, and hear me out on this one, talking to him?" I laughed. 

Caroline turned to me with a devious look in her eyes, "And why don't you try talking to Jack?" Yeah, she got me there. 

"That was uncalled for." I said quickly, immediately crossing my arms over my chest. Did I find Jack very interesting? Yes. Did I often find myself having mini strokes in his presence? Yup. Caroline pulled herself off the bed, adjusting her cropped t-shirt.

"Come on Lains, I was kidding." She stuck her tongue out at me to solidify the fact that she was joking, but now she had made me nervous. I could barely string together a coherent sentence most of the time. It was getting better because I had been exposed to him so much in the last year and a half, but still, it wasn't great.

"No. I will continue to watch my doppleganger on Netflix." I said confidently, turning my attention back to the TV in an attempt to ignore my current situation and remain in Caroline's bedroom. It wasn't really a viable option, considering the fact that Natasha had announced my presence in the house when she yelled for us to come downstairs, but I would rather stay here than face him. 

"Come on."

"No." 

Nothing was going to make me move my ass from this bed to that kitchen table.

"Fine, I'll just get Jack to come to come carry you downstairs. Jac-"

That'll do it.

I leapt across the bed karate style to throw my hand over her mouth and cut off her words. I think it was the fastest I've ever moved in my entire life.

"You might be Satan. Like actually, I think you're the devil." I laughed at her ridiculousness. This is why she is my very best friend.

"I know." She grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled me out of her room and down the stairs, and I couldn't really struggle out in the open. I headed into the kitchen behind her as she sat down and the only open seat was between her and... Jack. Oh god, I'm going to throw up. I carefully moved to the seat and sat down like the chair was made of glass. I don't think I took a single breath the entire time. His familiar voice filled up my ears and caused goosebumps to sprout up all over my skin. 

"Hey Elena." he said so nonchalantly, but I choked on air as he addressed me. My knee jutted out to the side to make contact with Caroline because how could he just speak to me out of nowhere? Is he trying to fucking kill me dead in the middle of the Beecher family's kitchen?

"Hey, Jack." I said trying to keep my voice even, but I could feel my cheeks heat up as we made eye contact. I hate everything. 

We were talking about the boys upcoming season, and they all seemed pretty excited for it. We were hearing the highlights of the night's practice, when Caroline decided now was the time to chirp them. 

"You guys are talking a big game about this season, when I could still take you."

I laughed at her comment, turning to face Jack. A wave of confidence washed over me in that moment, courtesy of Caroline. "Are you just gonna take that shit, Captain?" I teased quietly, tilting my head on the last word. Jack opened his mouth to speak but was beat by an enraged Alex.

"No. Absolutely not. This is blasphemy." He declared, slamming his hands on the table. Jack looked wildly confused and much to my surprise, he leaned in dangerously close to my ear.

"Blasphemy? What does that mean?" I could feel his breath on the side of my neck and I had to take a pretty deep inhale to try to remain calm. I leaned down to his ear, the scent of his Abercrombie and Fitch cologne filling up nose and clouding my brain for a minute. 

"It means like, not true." I said as assuredly as I could manage, whispering back to him. It was weird to do something so intimate obviously in front of everyone, and I could feel a blush fan across my cheeks once again. 

Jack nodded confidently at my words, offering me a fist bump under the table, which I obviously reciprocated. If a top NHL draft prospect offers you a fist bump, you accept the fist bump. "Yeah. Blasphemy."

"Jack, you just had to ask Elena what that word meant. Shut up." Caroline said, making everyone at the table laugh. I patted his knee under the table, turning to face him once again.

"It's okay Jack." I smiled at him, and he returned the favor. It lingered for a moment as neither of us wanted to be the one to turn away, but upon hearing Trevor and Caroline's exchange, I had to do it. 

"Is that so?." Trevor said confidently to her, and my jaw pretty much dropped. That was flirting. In broad daylight. That was definitely new too, but Caroline was doing impressively well in the situation. Leave it to Johnny to kill the flirting mood and turn the conversation back to hockey, talking about all of the road trips the team had planned. His trip of choice to discuss was Boston, and everyone was getting involved. 

"I love Boston, I can't wait for that one." I smiled. Caroline and I had already talked about it with our parents, we were going on every road trip with the boys. Of course Care was going, and it would be absurd for me to be home without literally any of my friends. 

"Wait, you're coming to Boston?" Jack asked, capturing my eyes. His eyes were, shockingly, wide with... happiness? He was happy that I was coming to Boston?

"Mhm. If that's okay with you, Captain?" I teased, smiling at him with raised eyebrows.

"That is definitely okay with me." He smiled back, and took a pause. "Are you coming to just Boston, or anywhere else? We have lots of road trips like all over the place." He rambled.

"I'm actually coming on all of the roadies, with Care." 

"Oh! That-that's cool. Really cool. Can't wait." He said, and even I couldn't miss the excitement creeping into his voice.

"Yeah I'm excited. Don't let me down on the road, can't hide who you're there for when it's an away game." I joked, nudging his knee with mine under the table.

"I aim to please." 

Well Jack, you're achieving that goal pretty consistently. 

After dinner, it was just me and Caroline cleaning up the kitchen while the boys played video games. We were working in comfortable silence, that I was itching to break.

"Okay, I'll be the one to say it. What the fuck was the whole "Carrie can't handle the smoke' thing he had going on tonight?" I said while scraping a plate.

"I have no idea, probably just Trevor being Trevor." Caroline tried to brush me off, but I could hear the faint excitement in her voice.

"No. Flirting. That was flirting, Caroline Mae." I said with a matter-of-fact tone because I was right and I knew it. That is not how you talk to your friend's twin sister. 

"Quit. And what was that? Whispering in your ear for word definitions?" She brought up Jack using me as a human dictionary and I couldn't help but blush again. 

"Okay, that was cute. I mean, it came from a place of stupidity, but it was cute." I couldn't stop thinking about the smell of his cologne and the feeling of his lips so close to my ear, and I knew that there had to be something going on. It was our senior year. Senior year is supposed to be the best year of a teenager's life. I turned back around to face Caroline, "This is our year, Care. Senior year."

"Senior year, our year." She replied, earning a smile from me as she bumped my hip. I laughed out loud as I scraped the next plate clean of pasta sauce, shaking my head as I heard Jack scream at the X-Box. God, I can't wait for school to start. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

186K 9.6K 28
Cierra Rose takes on the Villa.
1M 32.5K 78
"𝙾𝚑, 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖! 𝚃𝚠𝚘 𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝚗𝚞𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜! 𝙸𝚝'𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢'𝚛𝚎...𝚍𝚘𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚕𝚐ä𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑...
57.3K 2.5K 37
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐣𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐤, 𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐬; 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢'𝐦 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞�...
341K 12K 74
𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐧𝐞. gilmore girls universe. 𐙚 | B L U E ˖⁺‧₊˚♡˚₊‧⁺˖ ─── blue eyes like the sea on a cold, rainy day ❝ 𝘉𝘓𝘜𝘌 𝘌𝘠𝘌𝘋 𝘉𝘌𝘈𝘜𝘛�...