Saving Grace

By WildOne22

Grace always knew that she was special. She was under the anointing and from the tender age of five, she has... More

Introduction
Cast List
Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Chapter 1

175 21 3
By WildOne22

I was craving a cheese patty and a cocoa bread. It has been on my mind all day and I've been trying to ignore my craving. Walking out of my room, I go to join my mom on the living room couch.

She was watching Greenleaf, but I don't know why. It was filled with so much drama and doesn't really resonate with our true Christian values. She knows daddy would throw a fit if he saw her watching it too. However, it's not my business what the deaconess want to indulge in, so I shut my mouth.

Placing my head on her lap, I started to squirm.

"What is the issue now Gracie? Why you come out here to bother me?" She asks, running her hands through my hair.

When I didn't respond, she continued to question me. "Are you in pain my baby?"

I shook my head no. "I want a patty mommy." I whined instead.

She laughs out loud but says nothing further.

I roll my eyes at her but ensuring that she doesn't catch me doing it. Despite me being a full fledge adult, I know not to pass my place with her. She will thump me in my eye.

"Mommy I want a patty." I say again. Why is she ignoring me?

I started to poke her stomach once I realized that she was ignoring me.

"Lawd God Grace! Mek mi watch the likkle show in peace nuh man." She says frustrated.

Feeling some type of way I got up from the couch, heading back to my room. The thought of the patty now not so appealing to me.

I wish that I was allowed to take public transportation. I would have taken a taxi into the town already to get my patty. Sighing deeply, I started to watch a few WhatsApp status to take my mind off the patty fiasco.

After a couple of minutes I got bored, so I locked my phone and closed my eyes.

I'm not sure when I fell asleep but soon I found myself in a familiar room. It was bright, with lights beaming down on me, making it hard for me to open my eyes fully.

Suddenly, I heard a voice. That voice that was calling my name when I had passed out in church. It was reading. Listening keenly I could make out that he was reading a bible verse.

"Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD."

After much concentration, I could recognize the verse. However, I'm not sure why this stranger's voice kept reading this verse to me.

Waking up suddenly, I found my self in cold sweat. My clothes and bed linen were all soaked through. Getting up, I quickly got out of the wet clothes, walking into my adjoining bathroom for a quick shower.

While in the bathroom the strange dream kept replaying in my head. What was God trying to tell me? Where are these dry bones that I need to speak to? And why am I now determined more than ever to go get those patties?

After my shower I got dressed and took up my purse and phone. I had an itch that won't seem to go away and I'm determined to investigate it. My spirit is telling me that I need to be at Tastees right now.

In the living room I meet my mom still planted by the TV. She looks up at me, and does a double take when she sees me.

"Where are you going?" She asked. Her tone a bit accusatory.

"To buy patties." I say as I sit down on the opposite couch to strap up my slippers.

"Somebody coming for you?" She asks and I shook my head no.

"Nope, I'm gonna see if I can charter a taxi or call Biggz and hear if he's working today." I tell her.

I know she wasn't pleased with my answer but I don't care right now. I have to leave.

"I don't like that Grace. Mek mi go get ready and bring you then." She says about to get up.

I put my hand up to stop her and shook my head. "Mommy, by the time you get ready the patty place lock. I need to leave now." I explain.

"But Grace, you know you can't take the taxi. Hear what, take my car but please be careful and hurry up and come back before your father reach home" she says, getting up for the key.

I smiled lowly as I'm never allowed to drive, despite their being cars available in the yard. I know my mom is risking a lot by giving me her keys, but I'm excited to be able to drive myself.

Starting up my mom's 2020 Suzuki Grand Vitara, Marvin Sapp's Thank You For It All, blasted through the speakers. I turned it down a bit as I backed out of our driveway. Pulling up to the security post, I waved towards the day shift security before speeding out of the community.

As I drove along I started to whisper a prayer. "Father God, I don't know what this is but I'm trusting you to lead me and protect me. I'm putting my faith in you. Use me as a vessel for your glory. In Jesus name. Amen."

Pulling onto the main road I hit the gas pedal, speeding up. I have to be at tastees soon, the spirit demand it. I had wasted enough time.

I knew I was special from a young age. I would hear voices in my head telling me to do things such as pray for someone, or just to give them encouraging words.

With two parents who are leaders in the church they quickly recognized that I had a gift. They had to teach me how to listen to the voice of God and carry out his demands. I've been getting messages like these since the age of ten.

I try to remain humble with the gift that God has given me. After all he said in his words, whosoever that humble themselves, shall be exalted. My faith however, has been tested and through this test, the voice of God has been quiet.

I totally understand though, you can't minister to anybody when your faith is low. And my faith has been on E over the past year. I was angry at God and he has been far removed from me. Until a few weeks ago, when he came to me in a dream.

I was taking my afternoon nap when he called me by name.

"Grace..." I had been shocked to hear that voice after so long. In my mind I had responded, "yes lord?" After a few seconds of silence, he spoke again. "Draw near to Isiah."

I have been reading the book of Isaiah since then. I'm not sure what he is preparing me for but I was ready to work again, despite my circumstances.

Pulling into the Tastee at Clock, I parked my mom's car. Pulling up my mask and sanitizer, I headed for the door of the establishment. Funny enough, being inside the restaurant, I no longer had the strong craving for the patty.

A sudden calm came over me as I waited in the line. I ordered a cheese patty and cocoa bread for myself and a jerk chicken patty. Sighing at the total that the cashier read out to me, I handed her my card.

There was a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach, the longer I waited. Suddenly the entire area was overcome with noise as the muffler of a car kept sounding off those popping sounds. Along with the loud popping was the blaring of one of those awful songs that glorified scamming.

Looking out to where the noise came from, I saw a red Infiniti speeding into the plaza. Shaking my head at the reckless driving, I turned back around listening out for my number. Finally, my ticket number is called and I grab the bag from the cashier with a slight smile.

Hurrying out of the patty shop, I clung open the door about the step outside but I collided with someone else. The force of the hit had me disoriented for a bit and a fall hard to the ground.

The patties and coco bread went sailing out of the bags as my elbow hits the hard concrete, shooting pain through my arm.

"Jesus Christ!" I winced

My entire body tingled with sensation as I slowly assess my predicament. My elbow was on fire, my back hurt and the patties that I was craving were on the floor already being attacked by ants. Bummer.

I felt a gentle touch on my arm and I jumped slightly. Looking up I am met with the concerned face of the guy who I assumed I bumped into.

I looked him over briefly. He had locked hair, that hang slight over his shoulder . He was dark skin and clean shaven. He smelled nice, probably an expensive perfume as he had on an authentic polo shirt and blue cut off Jeans and a new Clarke's. His hands were neat and he had on a ring on one of his pinky finger.

I knew I was staring but something about this guy intrigued me. I didn't want to put him in a mold but when you are from Montego Bay, there are certain characteristics that are aligned with a certain group of individuals. He looked like the type, though I can tell he's trying to be inconspicuous.

"Hey, you fell pretty hard there, are you okay?" He finally spoke, looking me over as if he's checking for any damage.

I froze at the sound of his voice. That voice! I recognize it from the one in my vision and I start to shake. Scrambling up from the floor, I quickly darted around him and ran through the door.

I was shaking by the implication of what my mission from God is. Getting into the car, I sat quietly around the wheel as I was unable to lift my finger to start the car. Leaning my heads against the staring wheel, I started to pray.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.8K 435 28
𝘢 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘴
840K 73.1K 103
Ryleigh Stevens? yeah that's me.. Come along with me on life's adventures. What adventures you might ask? You'll just have to read on to find out 😉...
69.5K 8.4K 58
The Grants are back and they are in for more growing pains.
28.6K 2.1K 41
Dejah has never been an outspoken person, some see her as an introvert and some see her as a nerd. Her timid nature makes her look weak and her virid...