An Age Old Promise

By reddiamondtulip

Waking up in a new time but same place. The last memory was an unfulfilled promise to an old friend More

Author's Note
I
III
IV
part 2
V
VI
VII
VIII
part 2
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
Closing Note

II

38 1 0
By reddiamondtulip

~Reinhard's P.O.V~
"When I get better... we will have that cruise..." I remember shouting and an explosion. I remember chasing and shooting and I remember being in pain. There was only ringing in my ears and it was getting louder and louder. I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was the sky but it was grey. I immediately sprang up and it didn't take long for me to realize I was laying on the street.

I stumbled when standing up and people were looking at me curiously. "Wait!" I inspected my side and I didn't feel a thing. No shards, no cuts... nothing.

~Natalie's P.O.V~
"Rain again, huh?" I looked at the sky and it was dark again. End of year weathers don't really give a break, don't they? I just got back from a record store and I got a sweet CD copy of a new release that old Korean band who made a comeback recently. I love how each members' color schemes represent each season. Weren't there five of them before?

As usual, I took a walk back and there was a small crowd just past the memorial. I went over to check out of curiosity and I couldn't be luckier. There was a guy, a tall one... probably almost six feet with a neatly swiped blond hair and he was wearing the uniform. The uniform was similar enough of an Einsatzgruppen uniform and the guy looked strangely familiar. Like straight out from the history book.

I managed to slipped myself through the crowd and pulled the guy out then ran to a nearby alley. "This is the third time in this lifetime..." I muttered at myself while catching my breath when we got to the alley. I looked at the guy and I don't want to believe it's actually him. "Hey... sorry for dragging you—-". "Administrator!" he suddenly hugged me out of relieve.

"Vielen Dank für mich Rettung!" he happily thanked me. "I never thought I would see you again." He looked at me with a big smile in relieve. "Um, excuse me... but who are you talking about?" I asked. "It's me! Rein! Don't you recognize your best friend, Anna?" that nickname sounds creepily familiar but he was implying that I'm this "Anna" person. "I'm sorry but that's not my name." and I hate to break the bad news.

"No, that can't be..." he let me go and his face turned to disbelieve. "I know my best friend." He insisted that his friend would never pull a prank like this to him. I apologized again that I'm not the same person who he thinks. "Let's get you out of here.". "Where are you taking me?" he asked with a bit of fear in his tone and I told him we're going back to my place. "It's not far from here. Come on!" I added with a small smile.

I remember a shortcut in the alley that cuts to the street close to my apartment. I really need to do a small interview to make sure who this guy really is. "Where are we?" he asked. "We're in Prague." I answered and added, "I'm not surprised that you don't recognize it.". "What is that suppose to mean?" he asked back. 'Jeez... cut some slack with the sass, will ya?' my thoughts countered back the sass he threw.

Both of us made it and I opened the door. "I'm back..." I announced myself. "Come in." I invited him in. "Do you share the place with someone else?" he asked. "No, I share the place with myself.". "Then why did you do that?" I paused for a bit. "It's... a habit." I got an excuse out and added that just in case if someone broke in and hide inside. "Take a seat. Make yourself comfortable." I gave my permission.

"Is there anything you need?" I asked after he sat down. "Why are you being nice to me?" he suspiciously asked. "Well..." I told him that he's my guest and I'm treating him as one. "Is it wrong to offer my hospitality?" I threw a counter point and he didn't answer back. "Then may I use your shower?" he changed his question. "Sure." I directed him to the bathroom and he went in to clean himself. I grabbed a clean towel and left it on the door handle. "It's on the handle!" I informed. "Thank you." He replied from inside.

I dug through my wardrobe and he's in luck. I found the Kraftwerk tee I got as a gift and the suit trousers I accidentally bought along when I was looking for a suit vest. I went back to check and he was done. "Oh—-you're already done." I quickly looked away. Good thing he has the towel on or this would be much more embarrassing. "Are you alright—-". "No, no I'm fine!" I cut him off and told him to change in my room. "It's right in front of me and I'll take care of your uniform.". "O...kay..." we walked passed each other and I warned not to wreck my room.

"Good grief that was close..." that was really a close call. I know he's attractive but I didn't think he would be that hot. His uniform was put on the side of the sink, almost like it was thrown. I sighed a smirk and picked them up. The pants were an easy fold and I inspect the uniform. I carefully pulled out all the medals and I inspected the patches. "The Obergruppenführer insignia?" I recognize the rank patch and I recognize the patch on the arm. "Sicherdienst patch? You've got to be kidding me..." I quickly and neatly folded the shirt.

I exited the bathroom and the blond exited my room and I can't believe the clothes I picked out fits him. "Thank you for lending this... to me." He was unusually flushed. I quickly shook my head, "You're welcome. I'll get yours cleaned.". "Wait!" he stopped me. "What did you do to my medals?". 'Proud guy, aye?' I sighed a smirk and told him to relax. "I didn't throw them to the toilet." And half teased.

"Right..." I walked back to the living room after putting the uniform in the laundry. "Do you need anything else?" I asked and he said he wanted a drink. I went to the kitchen as fast as I got out with a glass of water. "Here you go." I gave him the glass and sat down. "Now if you don't mind me asking some questions...". "Is this your interrogation technique?" he suspiciously asked after taking a sip. "I just want to make sure of some things." I nonchalantly answered.

I asked the general things, like his name, date of birth, age and when he last lived. He claimed to be Reinhard Heydrich and though his answers matched from what I read... I'm still not convinced. Then I asked about his activities in the party. "Obergruppenführer... Gestapo... Sicherdienst... The Man with the Iron Heart..." I wrote down every point. All of his answers were spot on and there were even things that I missed. "And is there anything you remember before waking up?" I asked my final question.

"I remember an explosion and I was in pain. I remember laying on the hospital bed." He answered then he paused for a bit. "I remember the promise before everything went dark." He continued. I asked what it was and he promised a cruise to his friend when he got better. "And this friend of yours was this Anna, yes?". "I've answered your questions..." he took another sip, "Now you answer mine."

He then asked my name, age and if I have any siblings. "Natalie Midner, I'm in my mid 20s." I answered. "I have a younger sister and used to have an older brother but we rarely talk about him." He asked why and I told him that dad doesn't like talking about it. "And how do you know about me?". "I took history as my major and main focus is the party." I explained. "Your name implied that you are not a local." He suspiciously pointed out.

"Nope." I shook my head. "I'm British-Australian.". "Then why are you helping me?" he asked that old question again. "I wanted to help because... I want to be more open-minded." I answered. "I thought that maybe this time will work again." I smiled to myself. "What do you mean 'again'?". "I'll tell you about that later." I flashed him a teasing smirk.

"You're really just like her..." he sighed a smile to himself. "Would you now tell me about your friend?". "I will tell you that later." He threw back my answer. "Hey! That's cheating!"

A.N : I decided to put the main thing faster than I used to and take some measures along the way. I think it'll do well and I already laid out how the dynamic both characters will be. That's all for the note and I'll see you in the next chapter! RD out!! Boi!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Time Traveler By Branden

Science Fiction

216 24 14
Branden gets a text from his best friend to see something he made. Shortly after returning from the military, he decided to go visit his friend and s...
621 38 16
Friendly neighbourhood Spiderman senses that he's gonna trip, he catches himself, but he still ends up falling for someone.
32 0 1
A man wakes up from the dead with no memory of his previous life.
450 16 9
Y/n has never believed in love, he isn't into it, his sister is worried about him, always saying that she thinks he might be depressed, y/n doesn't b...