Rhythm of Heartbreak

Oleh avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul with one fervent desire: to bind herself to Shaun forever. She dedicates herself to... Lebih Banyak

Prologue: Inner Turmoil
Chapter 1: Meet Jess Lynn
Chapter 2: Cracks of the Present
Chapter 3: Tension Building
Chapter 4: The Raw Betrayal
Chapter 5: The Aftermath
Chapter 6: A Glimpse of Talent
Chapter 7: The Talent Scout
Chapter 8: The Audition
Chapter 9: The Task at Hand
Chapter 10: The Debut
Chapter 11: The Bootcamp
Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude
Chapter 13: Music and Party
Chapter 14: Under the Spotlight
Chapter 15: The Duet
Chapter 16: The Confrontation
Chapter 17: Awkward Encounters
Chapter 18: Complicated Dynamics
Chapter 19: Harmonies and Discords
Chapter 20: The Drunken Kiss
Chapter 21: Songs and Lyrics
Chapter 22: Conversation and Chances
Chapter 23: Regrets and Heartache
Chapter 24: Good News, Bad News
Chapter 25: A Heart Divided
Chapter 26: Fleeting Moment
Chapter 27: Unspoken Desires
Chapter 28: Into the Storm
Chapter 29: Tangled Melodies
Chapter 30: The Portrait of the Fallen
Chapter 31: Shattered Illusion
Chapter 33: The Dilemma
Chapter 34: Unraveled Secrets
Chapter 35: Entanglement
Chapter 36: Shattered Reflections
Chapter 37: New Beginning, Hidden Wounds
Chapter 38: New Place, New Connections
Chapter 39: Serenade and Shadows
Chapter 40: Farewell and Finality
Chapter 41: Echoes of Redemption
Chapter 42: The Healing
Chapter 43: Mending Hearts
Chapter 44: Facing the Spotlight
Chapter 45: Rhythm of Love

Chapter 32: Shadows from the Past

116 5 2
Oleh avidnovela

Jess turned toward the door when she heard a loud knock. She opened it cautiously and found Evelyn Lee standing there with a box of cookies.

"Jess," Mrs. Lee said warmly, "I've been meaning to thank you for covering for me when I was unwell."

Jess smiled and took the box. "You're welcome, Mrs. Lee. I hope you're feeling better now."

"Much better," Evelyn chuckled. "But I have another favor to ask. My cousin is getting married today, and I promised to go. The owner of the house you used to clean needs housekeeping before he returns from his trip. Could you fill in for me today? I promise this is the last favor."

Jess hesitated. She wasn't planning on doing housework today.

Evelyn continued, "I'm worried he might not hire me again if I turn him down. The job pays well, and I need the money for my prescriptions."

Seeing Evelyn's desperation and realizing she had no other plans, Jess agreed with a sigh. Evelyn's face lit up with relief, and she gave Jess a tight hug. Jess chuckled at her neighbor's reaction.

Jess decided to take the bus, feeling nostalgic about her old routine. The sunlight warmed her face as she traveled, and she smiled at the familiar sights.

Arriving at the house, Jess used the spare key Evelyn had given her and started tidying up. The house was as beautiful as she remembered. As she maneuvered the vacuum, she accidentally bumped into someone behind her.

Turning around, Jess gasped. "Rick?"

Rick stood there, towel-clad and dripping wet, clearly surprised to see Jess.

"You're not Evelyn Lee," he said, his surprise evident.

Jess's gaze lingered on his exposed chest, and she felt a rush of affection. "She asked for my help. She had other plans, and neighbors help each other," she explained, though she wasn't sure why she felt the need to justify herself.

Rick smiled and teased, "I thought this was a surprise welcome home."

Jess blushed at his playful comment. Rick pulled her close and kissed her, making her legs go weak with emotion.

"I missed you," Rick whispered.

"I missed you too. Why didn't you tell me you were back?" Jess asked.

"I was planning to surprise you later, but you beat me to it," Rick said with a grin. He hugged her tightly and bit her earlobe, making Jess moan softly.

"Let's go to the bedroom," Rick suggested, his breath warm against her ear.

Jess shook her head. "I'm here as an employee. Mrs. Lee asked me to clean, and I need to do it properly."

Rick laughed and pinched her cheek. "You're adorable. Let me change, and I'll help you with the cleaning." As he walked toward his closet, he jokingly added, "Would you consider wearing a sexy maid outfit to indulge my fantasy?"

"Rick, you're insane!" Jess exclaimed, laughing as he disappeared into his bedroom.

True to his word, Rick helped Jess finish the cleaning quickly. Afterward, Jess tossed his used clothes into the washing machine and joined Rick on the couch, where he was watching a soccer match.

"You really like soccer," Jess said.

"Yeah, I played a lot when I was younger and a few times at university," Rick replied with a smile.

Jess snuggled closer to him, and Rick kissed her forehead. "I like having you around."

Jess remembered Alexander's comment about Rick being a troubled soul but quickly pushed it aside. "I should get a high rating for house cleaning and a tip too," she joked.

"I have a better payment in mind," Rick said, leaning over her. Jess giggled as he playfully tried to pin her down.

"Stop it," she said, laughing as she tried to push him away.

Rick rested his head on her chest, and she played with his hair. "How's the album coming along?" he asked, his voice muffled against her.

"It's going well." She paused. "There's a duet with Shaun Hays," she admitted, deciding to be open.

Rick tensed. "Shaun again? Is he the only artist available for the duet?"

Jess touched Rick's face to ease his jealousy. "You don't have to worry. Even though we have history and I care about him, it's only because I consider him family now, nothing more."

Rick's eyes softened. "It's not that I don't trust you; I'm just struggling with him being so present in your life. I need time to process it."

"I love you, Rick," Jess said suddenly, surprised by her own words.

Rick's face brightened. "About time you said it. I love you too, Jess Lynn." He kissed her again, and they embraced warmly.

"Will you stay over tonight?" Rick asked hopefully.

Jess smiled. "I will if you feed me."

"I'll make sure to feed you well and satisfy any hunger you might have," Rick said with a playful glint in his eye.

She chuckled.

Later that night, Jess woke to Rick's mumbling. She turned to see him twitching as if trapped in a nightmare. Gently, she touched his face. "Rick, you're having a nightmare."

Rick's dark hazel eyes snapped open, and he clung to her, panting. "I'm sorry for waking you."

"It's okay. I'm here," she assured him, trying to soothe him.

Rick confessed, "My nightmares are always the same. I can't escape her, even in my dreams."

Jess wanted to ask more but decided to wait until Rick was ready to share. "You can tell me when you're ready," she said softly. Rick wrapped her in his arms, resting his head on her neck.

"I'm starting to like this, Jess. I might ask you never to leave my side," he murmured.

Jess felt a deep desire to be with him always. "I love you," she replied.

Rick's breathing slowed as he drifted back to sleep. Jess closed her eyes, feeling her love for him grow stronger.

The next morning, she woke up alone in Rick's bed. She quickly put on one of his shirts and went to the kitchen, where Rick was cooking breakfast. He greeted her with a smile and a kiss.

"Good morning! You look lovely in my shirt. It's my favorite after-sex look," he teased.

Jess blushed deeply. "Adorable," he said, kissing her cheek. "I'm almost done cooking. Do you want to shower first?"

She nodded, and he promised to get her clean clothes. After a relaxing shower, Jess emerged to find Rick's neatly folded clothes. As she changed, she noticed a semi-open door leading to his closet. Curious, she explored it, marveling at its organization.

Her joy turned to shock when she saw a photo of a child and a woman. Her hands trembled as she tried to calm herself. She walked back to the kitchen, her face pale.

Rick noticed her distress. "Are you okay?"

"Rick, can I ask you something?" she said, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Who is your mom?" Jess asked, her hands growing cold.

Rick's expression hardened. "Why do you want to know?"

"I'm just curious, wanting to know you better," she replied.

Rick took a deep breath and said, "My family history isn't a fairytale." He cleared his throat. "My mother is Iris Adrian."

Jess's eyes widened in shock. The name echoed in her mind as she stood frozen, unable to comprehend the revelation.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

6K 198 22
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...
35.2K 1.3K 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
25.3K 814 37
Megan had the perfect life-a life with a loving husband, a beautiful home, her dream job, and anything she could ever want for. That is, through the...
201 0 10
Cassie, a 30 year old female who has her life together, finds herself unexpectedly questioning what she wants in life, and who she wants. She has a...