Rhythm of Heartbreak

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul with one fervent desire: to bind herself to Shaun forever. She dedicates herself to... More

Prologue: Inner Turmoil
Chapter 1: Meet Jess Lynn
Chapter 2: Cracks of the Present
Chapter 3: Tension Building
Chapter 4: The Raw Betrayal
Chapter 5: The Aftermath
Chapter 6: A Glimpse of Talent
Chapter 7: The Talent Scout
Chapter 8: The Audition
Chapter 9: The Task at Hand
Chapter 10: The Debut
Chapter 11: The Bootcamp
Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude
Chapter 13: Music and Party
Chapter 14: Under the Spotlight
Chapter 15: The Duet
Chapter 16: The Confrontation
Chapter 17: Awkward Encounters
Chapter 18: Complicated Dynamics
Chapter 19: Harmonies and Discords
Chapter 20: The Drunken Kiss
Chapter 21: Songs and Lyrics
Chapter 22: Conversation and Chances
Chapter 23: Regrets and Heartache
Chapter 24: Good News, Bad News
Chapter 25: A Heart Divided
Chapter 26: Fleeting Moment
Chapter 27: Unspoken Desires
Chapter 28: Into the Storm
Chapter 29: Tangled Melodies
Chapter 31: Shattered Illusion
Chapter 32: Shadows from the Past
Chapter 33: The Dilemma
Chapter 34: Unraveled Secrets
Chapter 35: Entanglement
Chapter 36: Shattered Reflections
Chapter 37: New Beginning, Hidden Wounds
Chapter 38: New Place, New Connections
Chapter 39: Serenade and Shadows
Chapter 40: Farewell and Finality
Chapter 41: Echoes of Redemption
Chapter 42: The Healing
Chapter 43: Mending Hearts
Chapter 44: Facing the Spotlight
Chapter 45: Rhythm of Love

Chapter 30: The Portrait of the Fallen

110 5 3
By avidnovela

Jess's hands shook slightly as she examined Rick's face for bruises, her mind still reeling from the chaos earlier. She gently applied a cold compress to his injury, her worry evident.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, her voice filled with concern.

Rick gave a teasing smile, his eyes still bright despite the swelling. "This is nothing compared to the trouble you're putting me through now," he said, pointing to his injury. Jess's cheeks turned red with a mix of embarrassment and affection.

Rick reached out, pinching her cheek and placing a soft kiss on it. "You look adorable when you blush."

"Rick, stop it," she said, though her tone didn't sound very serious. She cleared her throat, trying to change the subject. "Are you going to press charges?" she asked, her voice steady despite the storm of emotions inside her.

Rick looked at her, his expression serious. "Do you want me to?" he asked, his gaze intense.

Jess took Rick's hand and placed the ice pack back on his face. She walked toward the kitchen, her mind racing.

"Do you want some tea?" she called out, trying to buy herself a moment to think.

Rick simply said, "Yes," and settled back on the couch, his eyes following her every move.

When Jess returned with two cups of chamomile tea, she placed them on the table. "Here you go."

Rick took a sip and then turned to her. "Do you want me to press charges?" he asked again, his tone softer this time.

Jess studied him, trying to understand his feelings. "I wasn't the one who got punched," she said. "But maybe it's best to talk things out. Both of you are important in the industry. This scandal could be damaging."

Rick's eyes narrowed slightly. "Are you defending him and his career?" he asked, a hint of irritation in his voice.

Jess was surprised by his reaction. She was worried about Rick's reputation too. If the media found out everything, it could cause more problems for both of them.

"This isn't about Shaun," Jess said firmly.

Rick stayed silent, clearly still angry. Jess shook her head, frustration showing. "Rick, what do you think this is between us? What do you think of us?" Her voice wavered, her heart struggling with the uncertainty of their relationship. His jealousy had made her hope for something more, but she needed clarity.

Rick's face was serious as he looked at her. Jess held her breath, waiting for his response. Was this just flirting, or was there something more?

"What do you think of what we have, Jess?" Rick asked gently.

Jess lowered her gaze, her heart racing. She was torn between being vulnerable and afraid of embarrassment. "You confuse me, Rick. You make me hopeful, but I don't know where to draw the line. You've never told me what you want." She continued, her voice trembling, "I don't even know what you like, what your favorite food is, or where your family is."

For a moment, Jess saw panic in Rick's eyes before he quickly covered it with a smile. He reached out and pulled her close. "So, you want to get to know me, is that right?" he murmured, his fingers brushing her neck.

Jess closed her eyes, overwhelmed by his touch. "Yes," she whispered.

Rick's face came closer to hers, his warmth surrounding her. "You can ask me anything, Jess," he said, his voice full of promise.

Her eyes fluttered as his hands moved over her shoulders. "What sports do you play?" she asked, gasping as his hands slipped inside her shirt and touched her back.

Rick leaned down, his lips brushing her neck. "Soccer," he replied.

Trying to catch her breath, Jess asked, "What do you do for fun?"

Rick's kisses moved to her cheek. "Swimming and playing the drums," he answered.

Jess smiled, imagining Rick in swimming trunks. "What do you like the most?" she asked softly, her eyes half-closed.

Rick's lips met hers in a kiss, and Jess responded, their mouths moving together. The excitement of their closeness was undeniable, even though she had lost count of how many times they had been this intimate.

"You," Rick whispered against her lips, giving her another kiss.

"Wait, what was that?" Jess asked, gently pushing him away.

Rick winked. "You, Jess Lynn, are the one I like the most in the world."

Jess's cheeks turned bright red. Despite her attempts to hide her joy, she couldn't stop smiling. Relief washed over her as her doubts and insecurities melted away.

Rick looked at her with sincerity. "I wouldn't be spending time with you and being close if I was just fooling around. I like you, and I want you. You make me feel things too. Shaun's jealousy drives me crazy. I want to punch him every time he looks at you."

Jess's eyes widened in surprise. As the reality of his words sank in, she smiled and clung to him, kissing him passionately.

"I like this honest side of you too," she said with a light laugh. Rick laughed too, embracing her tightly and gently cradling her on the couch.

************

Jess was jolted awake by the ring of her phone. Groggy and disoriented, she reached for it on her bedside table, her eyes still heavy with sleep.

"Hello?" she answered, her voice barely audible.

The response on the other end snapped her awake. Her heart raced as she listened, jotting down notes with trembling hands. It was the agency she hired to find her father, Adam Logan. They had a lead—finally. Jess felt a surge of excitement mixed with anxiety.

She glanced at the clock and realized she had less than an hour to get ready for her meeting with the detective. Energized by the news, she jumped out of bed and rushed to the shower, her mind buzzing with anticipation.

At the coffee shop, Jess was greeted by a warm, cozy atmosphere. The place was charming, and she made a mental note to tell Rick about it later. She spotted a man waving from a corner table and walked over with a warm smile.

"Good morning, Miss Lynn," the detective said as they shook hands.

"Thank you for meeting me," Jess replied, her gratitude clear.

"Of course, I'm glad to help," he said, motioning for her to sit.

Jess took a seat across from him as he handed her a folder. Her fingers shook slightly as she opened it and pulled out several documents. She looked back at the detective, eager for answers.

"Adam Logan died 23 years ago," he began, his tone serious. Jess's heart sank at the news.

"What happened to him?" she asked, her voice a whisper.

"It was a murder case," the detective continued. Jess gasped as he described the details. "According to the police report, he was stabbed by his partner or girlfriend during a fight."

"What happened to her?" Jess asked, her voice trembling.

"She died as well," he said. "She took her own life right after."

The tragic end to Adam's life hit Jess hard, leaving her feeling faint.

"Are you alright, Miss Lynn?" The detective's concern was clear.

Jess nodded, though she struggled to speak. "Do you have a photo of the woman who killed Adam?" she asked quietly.

The detective pulled out a photograph of a woman. Jess examined it closely. The woman was striking, with a confident look and a hint of mischief.

"What's her name?" Jess asked, her voice trembling.

The detective looked surprised. "You don't know her?"

Jess shook her head. "No. Who was she?"

The detective's eyes showed recognition. "She was a well-known singer. Her name was Iris Adrian."

The name meant nothing to Jess. The reality of her father's fate hit her hard, and her hopes of reconnecting with him seemed to vanish. She was left with questions and uncertainty about her mother, Adam, and Iris.

Taking a deep breath, Jess sighed heavily, feeling the weight of her disappointment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 8K 66
Samantha Heed has done nothing but work as hard as she could in life. Becoming a veterinarian and owning her own clinic by the age of twenty-six, Sam...
26.9K 566 23
What happens when you're in love with two guys at the same time. You love them both but you can't be with both because thats not right. Relations bec...
34.9K 1.3K 28
"So... what about us?" he asked, and I looked at him, a bit bewildered. "What?" I inquired. "You and me... what are we, Sera? You know how you affect...
2.1M 84.6K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...