Do You Believe in Ghosts? (Tr...

By T-Night

The monsters are real. They roam this land. They terrorize the citizens. No one knows where they came from or... More

Missing Heroes
The Immune
Sonic the Hedgehog
Cold
Discussions
Icy
Starving
Connecting
Meditating
Hiss
Spirit
Partner
Demons
Shadow the Hedgehog
Scorched
Pressure
Problems
Try
Healing
Pieces
Blue
Assassins
Crossing
Silver the Hedgehog
Bleeding
Crowned
Aware
Selfless
Light
Wounded
The Brotherhood
Broken
Nightmares
Resilience

Heartbeat

3.7K 205 361
By T-Night

A/n: Hear ye, hear ye! Real quick announcement: ShiftingStar  is going to be DRAWING the first chapter of Do You Believe in Ghosts? in comic form, which is absolutely amazing, and not only that, but she's drawing the three hedgies in ghost form! Those drawings, when finished, will be posted on each chapter with the Hedgehog's name.

So, get hyped!

And...don't kill me at the end of this chapter.

Shadow had an odd look on his face when (Y/n) entered his cell several days after the incident in said cell. He didn't look like he wanted to dig his claws in and feed, so she closed the door, leaning against it.

"I'm fine," he said before she could ask, though the odd look didn't leave his face.

"You look like you swallowed something, and the fact you jumped to that before I asked implies you're not," she responded, tilting her head. "What's up?"

Shadow's hands lifted, one to his chest, the other to his neck. (Y/n) stepped over to him and got onto her knees, pulling the hand at his neck into her lap and glancing curiously at the one touching his chest. She met his gaze and he blinked slowly.

"No heartbeat," he murmured quietly. "I never knew how important it was to feel that, to know that at least some part of me was at least remotely mortal." He looked down at his hand. "Will we live again?"

"I'm not sure how it's going to work," the (a/t) admitted. "Since you died by such...unnatural means, I think it's certainly possible you'll be returned to your normal state, the way you were before." Shadow lifted his eyes wearily to hers. She sighed. "But...things never will be the same." She lifted her free hand and pulled Shadow's away from his chest. "Either way, Shadow. You will live again."

There was an awkward moment of silence before (Y/n) pulled her hands away, blowing out a breath. "So," she said, pressing her hands to her knees, "you up for another round of meditating?"

That broke the awkward atmosphere as Shadow groaned, dropping his head. "Please, no," he said, pressing one hand to his face. (Y/n) laughed.

"What? You don't like attempting to achieve inner peace?" She opened her hands, grinning cheekily as he peeked up at her. "I'm a great meditating partner. No inner turmoil, here. Pure, remember?" He shook his head. "I can see it, Shadow. That little tiny smile you crack when you're faintly amused. Come on!" She leaned back on her hands, tilting her head up to the ceiling. "I know you want to. You really want to."

"You're getting me all wound up." She pushed herself off her hands, blinking in surprise as Shadow leaned forward to meet her. He lowered his head slightly. "I suppose I'll meditate to wear it off."

"Good," she said, managing to keep her voice neutral. "Lock that ghost up." His mouth quirked upwards wryly as he settled himself across from her, closing his eyes and setting his hands lightly atop his knees. She copied his position, hesitating briefly before closing her eyes.

She needed to connect with Shadow. She knew she hadn't, or assumed she hadn't based on the intense feeling she'd gotten that signified she'd succeeded with Sonic. But Shadow was different, a point Rouge had repeatedly made.

We're...friends, she thought. But maybe he doesn't think that. It probably has to be two way. She scrunched up her face, attempting not to break.

"Shadow?" she finally said, opening her eyes and hugging her knees to her chest. The dark hedgehog cracked one eye open, then shut it again, humming softly. She took that as a go-ahead. "What do you think of me?"

"I believe I was close to achieving your so called inner peace until you interrupted me."

"Sorry." They lapsed into silence and Shadow opened his eyes, tilting his head to the side.

"Why are you asking?" She shrugged, feigning innocence. "(Y/n)."

"Am I a means to an end to you? A salvation? A...a friend?" Shadow stared at her, his lips parting slightly.

"I don't view you as something to be used, if that's what you're asking," he said slowly. She could tell there was more he wanted to say.

"Then what do you think?" He shifted closer and one of her ears twisted back.

"I'll tell you..." He looked down, his ears flattening against his head. "If you let me feel your heartbeat."

"What?" She blinked several times; Shadow didn't lift his head, seemingly embarrassed. "I mean...alright?" She lifted her hand, then thought better of it and pulled back. Shadow finally looked up at her, his ears perking. "Go ahead, I guess."

It was another moment of him seeming to register her consent before he tentatively reached out and grasped her wrist, gently prodding until he found her pulse point. One of his ears twitched as he brushed his fingers gently over her wrist. He looked up to meet her gaze questioningly and she nodded. He reached forward, hesitating before rather abruptly pressing his hand against her chest above her heart. On instinct, she grasped his wrist, closing her eyes briefly.

"(Y/n)..." She opened her eyes again and tried to meet his gaze, but his eyes were locked on their hands. "I think that you are chosen. Not just because of your purity, but because of your heart, your drive and dedication. You are someone to be admired, and...I do." He pulled his hand away from her chest and hers slid off his wrist. Shadow kept his hand raised, one ear twisting backwards. "May I...?"

(Y/n) paused, unsure of what he was asking, before realizing what he meant. "Uh, y-yeah, sure," she said. She rested her hands on the ground behind her as Shadow shifted closer yet again, his hand brushing her neck softly. She refused to flinch, watching him steadily.

"Are you afraid of me?" he asked quietly. She shook her head and his index and middle finger found her pulse point in her neck. She forced her breathing to be even as heat bloomed through her from his touch. "How?"

"Because I know you don't want to hurt me," she whispered. She leaned towards him, lifting her hand to brush her fingers along his forearm. "Despite what you may think, Shadow, you are good. I believe that, and I refuse to be afraid of a part of you that doesn't belong to you."

Shadow stared at her, then his hand on her neck shifted to gently cradle her jaw and pull her closer. Her eyes widened slightly and she was suddenly acutely aware of every feeling and sensation.

"(Y/n), do you trust me?"

She did. "I do."

A moment of tense silence, then the barest brush of his lips across her own. The heat was enough to steal her breath, but the sensation itself forced her to brace herself against the floor. Her eyes fell closed and she leaned towards him. Shadow pressed closer, though each movement was tentative.

This is not what you're here for. He's possessed. He's not fully himself. This is not what he needs.

(Y/n) pulled away from him, sucking in a deep breath. "I have to go," she said breathlessly. Shadow's eyes opened slowly, his ears slowly standing up. She pushed herself hastily to her feet and stumbled to the door, only glancing back as Shadow called her name softly.

"I meant it." She stared at him with wide eyes and flat ears, her whole body burning, and she wasn't entirely sure if it was wholly from the unnatural heat permeating the air. She opened her mouth, her hand pressing to the door.

"I'm sorry," was all she managed to get out before hurriedly opening the door and slipping out into cooler air. She leaned against the door to the cell, pursing her lips and squeezing her eyes shut. Her thoughts crowded into her mind all at once and she rubbed at her face, the heat pressing into her.

She needed to cool down. She forced herself to her feet, stumbling to the door of the bunker and dragging it open. She nearly fell down the stairs, collapsing to her knees and taking shuddering breaths.

"(Y/n)?" She couldn't manage to look up as Blaze hurried down the hall, her hands bracing the (a/t). "What happened? Great Chaos, you're burning up!"

(Y/n) just barely lifted her gaze to the princess's, her lips parting slightly before her eyes rolled back in her head and everything went dark.

~

She startled awake with a loud gasp, opening her eyes only to shut them again against the blast of freezing air on her face. Her whole body, actually. She groaned, someone propping her head up and pressing a glass to her lips.

"Drink, hon." (Y/n) cracked her eyes open, throwing a hand over her face. "Lay off a little, Omega. She's awake." The fans dialed down and (Y/n) pulled her hand away, fumbling for the glass. Rouge helped her empty it, setting it aside where Blaze appeared to refill it.

"What happened up there?" the princess asked, handing the (a/t) the refilled glass and sitting on the bed next to Rouge. "You've never overheated like that before."

"You probably have heat stroke, at least," the bat added helpfully.

"He..." (Y/n) hesitated, wondering how much she should tell them, before telling herself, out with it! "He kissed...me?" Rouge's jaw quite literally dropped.

"He...he what?!" Even Blaze looked surprised.

"The heat from that, plus maybe the gravity of the situation, probably led to...that." (Y/n) gestured around her somewhat frantically, her ears pinning back. Rouge and Blaze exchanged a glance.

"Why would he do that?" Blaze asked carefully. The (a/t) threw her hands up.

"Why not? He's desperate to feel something, and I'm the only one who can get close." She hugged herself. "Of course he would kiss me."

"No, that can't be right," Rouge said, tapping her chin. "Shadow never does something without a reason, possessed or not. Regardless of whether or not you can get close, (Y/n), Shadow isn't a sensation seeker."

"Rouge, he can hardly feel anything. I wouldn't be surprised," (Y/n) said wearily.

"Shadow wouldn't use you like that. I know he wouldn't." She looked up at the bat, blinking.

I don't view you as something to be used, if that's what you're asking.

"Maybe you're right," the (a/t) said slowly. "But...if you are..."

"Shadow the Hedgehog has fallen in love with you," Rouge said, a sly note entering her tone. Her mouth quirked up in a half smile.

"Rouge," (Y/n) whispered, her eyes wide. "What do I do?"

"Perhaps you should take a break," Blaze suggested gently. "Consider moving to the Assassination Zone for a time?"

"No," (Y/n) said, rubbing a hand down her face. "I can't leave Shadow without a connection, which...if he really feels that way about me...why didn't I feel the connection forge?"

"Two way street, hon," Rouge said, placing her hand over the (a/t)'s. "Maybe you don't feel that deeply about him yourself."

"I...I don't know." Her breath hitched and she pressed the heels of her hands to her eyes. "It doesn't make sense. How could this have happened with a ghost inhabiting him? Sonic never..." She grit her teeth; Blaze reached out and grasped both of (Y/n)'s hands in her own.

"Breathe," the cat murmured, sucking in a deep breath and prompting the (a/t) to do the same. "It's alright. You're safe."

"But what do I do? If I reject him, that might take away his hope and give the ghost more leverage, and then I'll have to start over, and I don't have the time or the energy or-"

"Hey, (Y/n)!" Rouge placed her hands on the (a/t)'s shoulders. "Shadow will be okay. Just breathe."

"You...actually believe that?" (Y/n) asked, pawing at the tears gathering in her eyes.

"That Shadow will be alright? Of course! (Y/n), you've shown me hope in the darkest of times. You got him to get out of that cell and fight for us. I didn't think any of this was possible, yet here we are. You've only shown here that there is hope for us all." Blaze nodded in agreement, smiling softly.

"You should get some rest," the princess said after a moment. "We'll sort the rest of this out in the morning." She brushed a hand across (Y/n)'s forehead before standing. "Omega will stay in here to monitor your temperature and keep you cool. Come and get us if you need anything else."

"Okay," the (a/t) said quietly. Rouge slowly stood up and stretched her wings out, moving to follow Blaze out of the room. "Rouge, wait!" The bat glanced over her shoulder questioningly. "Will you...will you stay with me? I don't..."

"Want to be alone with your thoughts?" Rouge smiled gently and returned to the bed after closing the door and flopping onto her side next to (Y/n). "Been there."

She attempted a smile, but it came out forced. "Thanks, Rouge," she whispered. The bat nodded, closing her eyes.

"Anytime, hon. Try and get some rest." (Y/n) nodded, though she knew the bat couldn't see it, and folded her hands over her chest. She would deal with this in the morning, feelings and all.

But for now, she was content to fall asleep next to a friend with the feeling of her steady heartbeat beneath her fingertips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 295 17
(SONICX MALE Characters x FEMReader) 15-year-old (Y/N) is a talented girl. 13 years old when they graduated from school, and they have talent in many...
137K 3.2K 18
Amy Rose has grown tired of chasing Sonic and decides to stop pursuing him. She never notices that Sonic had been in love with her the entire time, a...
374 27 17
Hey, I'm Sapphire - a human-hedgehog hybrid born in a human world. This is my life, through my eyes, from when I was fourteen years old. Note: contai...
1.1K 28 15
Sypnosis: Long ago, in a far away land of Mobius, there were a group of kingdoms that are each ruled by a king and queen, and are united by an allian...