Just Revenge (#1)

By lovebirds15

I looked at his eyes and put up a strong face. His eyes bore into mine as much as mine into his. It was like... More

Story Details
The Heartbreak
The Blackmail
The Torture Period
The Womanizer
The She-Devil
The Hospital
The Challenge Accepted
The Old Friend
The Difficult Client
The Argument
The Saturday Night
The Angry Boss
The Friend's Advice
The New Secretary
The Two Rooms
The Bet
The Mandatory Shopping
The Annual Function
The Because
The Fear of Losing
The Changed Man
The Wife
The Sister
The Complete Story
The Back to Normal
The Duke's Party
The Amelia Lawson
The Mistake
The Special Squad
The Night Before
The Break-In
The Sweet Revenge
The Dinner Plan
The Knocking Sense
The Pretending
The Most Awaited Moment
The Epilogue
Author's Note
New Book
Missing Them

The Best Birthday Ever

12.3K 347 63
By lovebirds15

Amy

"You did what?!" Luke shouted making people turn their heads in our direction, "Amy, are you mad? You slept on the floor? Do you know how cold it was last night? There was a thunderstorm. You could have-"

"Luke..." I squeezed his hand and signalled make him look around. Everyone in the lunchroom were giving us weird glances. We gave them apologetic smiles and I ushered him to a corner.

"Luke, let me complete. I did sleep on the floor but, then I guess sometime in the middle of the night, Aaron shifted me to the bed", I told him with a light shrug.

"Good, at least he is not insane like you", he said glaring at me.

I scoffed and asked, "Really? He is not insane? You do realise that we are here discussing all of this because of his initial insanity, right?"

"Yes, but at least he knows when you need to-"

"That's not the point here. The thing is that when I woke up today morning, I yelled at him and taunted him for putting me on the bed-"

"For which I totally support him", Luke cut me off making me give him a pointed look.

"Sorry, continue", he said rolling his eyes.

"So, then I argued with him, told him that I hoped he was happy to win the bet and I went for a shower. But, after breakfast this man came in and said that he is there for delivering a couch which Aaron had already ordered yesterday and the delivery was late due to a manufacturing issue. Also, now that you told me there was thunderstorm last night, I understand why he put me on bed", I told him wincing slightly.

"So, basically, you blamed him for nothing?" Luke gave me a smug look.

"Yes."

"And now you are sorry?"

"Yes."

"And you want me to tell you what to do?"

"Yes."

"You want to apologize to him?"

"Yes."

"You still love him?"

"Y-What?!" My head snapped at him so fast, I think I would have had a whiplash.

Luke laughed, "You were on a roll. I thought I'd try."

"You think this is funny?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"Well, it is slightly", Luke shrugged.

"There is nothing like that, okay? We don't even talk to each other like we used to anymore. We just act cordial with each other so that it doesn't get unbearable", I told him with a frown.

Luke just smiled at me and nodded. There was something in his eye though that didn't settle well with me.

"Can we get to the problem at hand?" I asked him with pleading eyes.

"What problem? You know you are sorry. You know you want to apologise. Then, go do it", Luke shrugged.

"Luke... you don't get it. It is not that easy. If we were the old Aaron and Amy, I would have gone and said it a long time ago. But, things have changed now", I said with a groan.

"What has changed? You are still the same Amy and you made a mistake. Owe up to it", Luke said with a look of confusion.

"Luke? He is not the same old Aaron who would just say a 'It's okay' and we would be over it. He has changed. I don't know how he will react. Besides, he too has done a lot of wrong stuff since our marriage but, he has never said sorry to me. Not once. Why should I then?"

"He has his own reasons. You yourself said a while ago that you think he wants you to hate him. Maybe one day when he comes to his senses and is ready, he may come clean. It is his problem. Forget him for a moment. I know that you will not stop feeling guilty until you say sorry to him. Do you want this guilt to eat you up?" Luke asked.

I shook my head in a no. Whatever happened yesterday may not be that big of a deal after everything Aaron did, but I feel that I ought to say sorry.

"Then, you know what to do", Luke shrugged and we continued eating.

"Why do I have to be like this? Why can't I be like others and not bother?" I groaned and Luke chuckled smackingmy head lightly.

"Oh! In all my problems, I forgot to ask. Your secret. What is it?" I asked him.

"I'll tell you next week at the company's annual function party", Luke smiled.

"Come on, I can't wait till then. Tell me, what is it?" I asked.

"I can't tell you, Amy. At least, not just like that", Luke blushed slightly.

"Luke.." I looked at him smiling suggestively.

"Later, Amy", Luke looked at me.

After lunch, we went back to our floors. Since the big Spanish project was over, everyone was shifted back to their old desks. Everyone but, me. Since, I am Aaron's temporary secretary, I still work on his floor. But thankfully, we ain't alone. There are other executives on the floor too.

I sat on my desk thinking of how to initiate this conversation with him. What will I tell him if I go in? He might mock me even more or completely ignore me. He hasn't even called for me since morning. He is obviously avoiding me.

Actually, he probably knows that this is killing me. Maybe that is why he is ignoring me.

You really want to accuse him of something again right now? my conscious asked me.

Yeah, yeah, fine. Stop taking his side.

I'd just find some way later in the day. He might even call me in for work. I shook my thoughts away and pushed myself to concentrate on work. But, my thoughts wandered again. Tomorrow is his birthday. Not that it would change anything between us. Just, I was surprised that I forgot. Maybe because after what he did for me on my birthday six months ago, I had thought I'd do something good for him too. But, looks like none of it matters anymore. He might not even remember it.

Six months ago...

'Good Morning. Happy twenty-fifth birthday, Mel.'

A smile spread across my face as I read the message on my phone from the love of my life, Aaron. I had so many texts from so many people but nothing made me smile like this one. I quickly dialed his number. He didn't pick up though. Maybe he is busy in office. It is a tuesday morning after all. I'll call him later.

Just then my phone pinged again.

'You wanna reach to me? Let's play a game.'

I looked at it confused. Game?

'I give you clues and you go to the places until you eventually find me, okay? '

I just waited for his next message.

'So, first of all. Go get ready.'

I chuckled lightly and quickly took a shower. I wore a light pink knee length dress that I had bought a few weeks ago for my birthday and applied a light makeup, basically gloss and mascara. I wore white pearl studs and my sandals.

My phone pinged again and I went to check.

'Okay, now go to the place where we always hang out.'

The coffee shop. I smiled as I thought. I took my purse and got out of the house.

"Peter?" I asked surprised when I opened the door.

"Amy, Happy birthday", Peter said giving me a hug.

"Thanks. What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"Boss has asked me to drive you around today. Take you wherever you wanna go", he answered smiling at me.

"I have my own car", I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, but it's your birthday. His words not mine", Peter answered and we walked to the car.

"So, where to, madam?" Peter asked.

"The Mathilda's Cafe", I told him the address of the coffee shop.

We drove to the coffee shop and when I entered inside, the manager greeted me. When I told her my name, she smiled and guided me to our usual table. The table was decorated and my favourite coffee and waffles were already ordered.

"Happy birthday, miss", the manager said giving me a box and left. I sat down and opened the box. It had a little white teddy bear with a red bow. I smiled at it and my phone pinged again.

'Enjoy your breakfast, love. Hope you liked your gift. With this, I promise you to always make you smile.'

I chuckled and I ate my breakfast. It was yummy as always but I wish Aaron could be here. As soon as I was done, the phone pinged again.

'Next clue, where we finally became friends.'

The orphanage, I smiled as I thought. I got up and went out of the cafe and told Peter where to go next. We drove there and I walked to the door. I went inside and saw all the kids waiting for me.

"Happy birthday, Amy", all of them yelled.

Suddenly, a small boy ran to me with a few balloons in his hand. He offered the balloons and a box of chocolates to me and said, "These are for you."

I told him a thank you and my phone pinged again.

'I promise to always be your best friend and always make you admire me. Next place is where we met the second time.'

The art gallery.

Soon I left the orphanage after reading a story for the kids like I always do. I told Peter the address of the gallery.

Where are you Aaron?

When I reached the art gallery, I saw that it was close. But, soon a man came to me and told me to follow him. I looked at him skeptically and was contemplating on what to do when my phone pinged.

'Go with him.'

I mentally laughed at how he understood what I was thinking.

I followed the man as we went inside the art gallery from the backdoor. The hall of the gallery was decorated and on one of the walls there were hanging pictures. Our pictures from all twelve months of our relationship. There were our pictures and some were with his family and some with a few close friends. My phone pinged again.

'You said you would rather hang pictures of family and friends in your home. You became a part of my family even before I realised it. I promise to make more such beautiful memories with you.'

My eyes watered as I realised that he remembered it from that time when we met here.

'Where are you, Aaron?' I texted him.

'All in good time. Also, it is already lunch time. Next clue, where you agreed to go out with me.'

That Italian rooftop bar, I thought.

I found the man who guided me inside and he told me that he would send all those picture frames to my apartment by the day's end. I asked him to take me outside. As soon as I got in the car, I told Peter to take me to 230 Fifth Rooftop.

Obviously, Aaron had already booked the table for me and ordered the food too. He just has to be the perfectionist. I ate my lunch silently and grumbled slightly too. Even though all this was fun, I wanted to spend the day with him. I miss him. He hasn't been in town for days and now this hide and seek.

'Stop grumbling. I will see you soon. Put a smile on that face. It doesn't suit the birthday girl to be angry.' I stared at the text in shock.

'If you can see me, it means you are somewhere near too. Why are you not appearing in front of me then? I texted back.

'Where's the fun in that?' he replied. I rolled my eyes.

"Ma'am?" The manager called me.

"Happy birthday. This is for you", he said handing over a small box to me.

I opened the box and it had a pair of beautiful diamond studs. They were princess cut diamonds fixed in white gold. I picked my phone to text Aaron but, received one from him instead.

'Before you say, this is very expensive, it is a gift for you from your boyfriend. With it, I promise to always protect you like I did that night.'

'Aaron, it is not needed really.' I texted back.

'You lost yours that night and this is a replacement. Now, finish your lunch and go to the place where we first met.' he texted back.

I finished my lunch and asked Peter to drive me to the graveyard. I walked to the lake and sat at the bench where we had met. I smiled as all the memories from that day came back to me. My phone pinged again.

'That day, I approached you because I didn't like it when I saw you crying and if it is up to me, I'd never see you cry. But, things might not always be good. I promise to always listen to you and always be there for you.'

'Aaron, I need to see you. Now.' I texted back as I wiped a tear that dropped from my eye.

'Come to where we first kissed. Oh and there is something for you below the bench.'

I bent down and laughed as I picked up the handkerchief and water bottle.

I went to the car and told Peter to drive to Coney Island. It is already mid afternoon and the place is far. It will obviously take a while to drive to it. I relaxed in the back seat as the days even replayed in my mind. I smiled and was really happy. This was indeed the best birthday ever.

When we reached Coney Island, I almost ran to the beach area. It was already sunset and the place was getting darker. I saw a table with two chair and some decorations near the spot where we had kissed for the first time. I ran to it and I looked around. I looked at my cell phone expecting a text. I was disappointed when I didn't get a text.

"Looking for me?" Aaron asked behind me and I turned with a bright smile.

I ran to him and hugged him.

"Happy birthday. Hope you enjoyed the day", he said as we pulled apart.

"I did, thank you. But, I would have enjoyed more if I had you around. I wanted to spend the whole day with you", I pouted.

"Why just the day? You are going to spend your whole life with me", he smirked.

"Well, I haven't agreed to anything yet", I shrugged and turned to go near the table. Aaron stopped me and when I turned around, he smiled and got down to his knee.

"Aaron-"

"Amelia, in the last one year and four months that I have spent with you, I have had more fun than all the years combined. You gave color to my life. You make me smile. You have become a daughter to my parents and a sister to my brother. You are the first thing on my mind everyday when I get up and the last thing before I sleep.You are a part of every dream I have for my future. I am unable to imagine my life without you in it. So," Aaron stopped and removed a box from his jacket and continued, "Will you do the honors of fulfilling all those dreams of mine? Will you make me the happiest man on your birthday? Will you marry me, Mel?"

I couldn't stop the tears flowing from my eyes. I didn't even think twice before saying, "Yes."

He slipped the ring on my finger and got up as our lips met in a kiss. Aaron picked me up and twirled me around. When we broke the kiss, the sky lit up with fireworks just like the ones in my stomach right now.

"I love you, Aaron."

"I love you, Mel." We said at the same time.

Indeed, the best birthday ever.

Present...

My cell phone vibrated distracting me from my thoughts. Mom?

"Hey, mom", I answered,

"Hey, Amy. Are you very busy?" mom asked.

"No, not much. Why?" I asked shifted on my chair.

"Umm, so your father and I were thinking that since we are leaving tomorrow afternoon, we won't be able to celebrate Aaron's birthday. So, why don't we do something tonight? You know like at twelve?" mom asked.

"Uh..." I was trying to find an answer.

"It won't be much. Just I'll make his favourite dish for dinner and you can bake a cake for him which he cuts at midnight", mom said.

"Mom...I...actually...." I was lost for words. I didn't know what to say. I hadn't even made up with him yet. I don't know what his demeanor is and I definitely don't know how he will react if I agree to this.

"I wouldn't have even thought of this but, Daniel is back and I thought we could do it for Aaron as a family. It's his first birthday after you officially became family", mom continued while I was still thinking, "But, Amy, tell me if it is a bother-"

"No, it's okay. I will do it", I said cutting her off. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. They are my family and I love them.

"Great! Send me a list of everything you need so that we can get it from the store. Also, let's keep it a secret from Aaron, okay?" she said and hanged up after I hummed positively.

Great! Now, I have to go ask the devil to let me go home early. But, at least now I know how to start the conversation. I will also try to tell him sorry somehow.

So, I sent her the list and walked to Aaron's cabin. I knocked on the door and heard a come in. I went in and saw Aaron standing near the window overlooking the city.

"Did you get it, Mr. Phil-" Aaron said turning around and stopped when he realised it was me.

"Why are you here? I didn't call you. I have no work for you right now", Aaron said turning his back at me.

"I...I came...to..", I gulped.

"Make it fast. I don't have time", Aaron said walking back to his desk without looking at me.

"I need to go home early today", I bit my lip.

"Why?" he asked still avoiding me.

"I...I am not feeling well", I lied.

Aaron snapped his head to look at me. "Why? What's wrong? I told you not to sleep on the floor. You caught a fever, didn't you?" Aaron asked taking two steps in my direction.

"No, I don't have a fever. Also, about that, I...I wanted to..to...", I tried to say sorry avoiding his gaze.

Come on, Amy. Say it. How difficult can it be?

Since he just kept looking at me, I continued, "I didn't know that you had really spilled the juice. I also didn't know that there was a storm last night. I thought you did-"

"It's okay", he just cut me off and turned to go back.

"It's...okay? Are you not angry?" I asked him guiltily. How is he not angry after everything? I know that I would be. I'd want him to say sorry.

"Why should I be?" he asked me.

"I accused you for something you didn't do", I told him honestly.

"Yes, and a lot of people say a lot of things about me. I can't be angry at everyone", he told me with a frown.

I am just one of those lot of people to him? I thought but shook my thoughts away instantly.

Aaron continued, "They judge me because they don't know me and you judge me because you don't trust me. There's no point of being angry when someone doesn't trust you."

"Trust has to be earned, Aaron", I muttered before I could stop myself. Well, anyways, I didn't say anything wrong.

Aaron scoffed, "You want to turn this on me now? Let's face it, Amy. You have trust issues. You never really trusted me completely", Aaron frowned at me.

"I did before you broke it", I told him looking straight in his eyes.

"No, you didn't. If you would have, you wouldn't have said what you said last night. You would have known that I would have never done something like that."

"You have done worst things, Aaron. You have lost my trust after our marriage", I gritted.

"After our marriage, you say? Okay, let's put these four months aside for a while. What about before that, Amy? What about before the marriage? Did you honestly trust me completely?" Aaron asked taking a step forward.

"Yes, I did", I told him confidently.

"Then, why did I not know about Jasmine Trent?" he asked me and I looked at him in shock.

Aaron continued walking towards me while saying, "Tell me, Amy. Why did I not know about her until that night? Why had I never known about Luke Thompson before the day you joined office? Why do you always avoid talking about your school? Why did you hide such matters from a person you loved enough to marry? Isn't that what it means to trust completely? You tell the other person about all your weaknesses?"

I gulped and took a few steps backwards as Aaron was getting nearer. I took a breath to gain my strength and said, "You have no right to accuse me. You were not completely truthful to me either."

"Agreed, we both did hide things from each other. Yet, there are certain things that I can say with complete trust that you can never do them and I have never ever accused you of doing those things. You have known me for as long as I have known you, Amy. To me you were my enemy. I was never supposed to trust you and yet, I think I trust you more than you ever trusted me. I have never hidden basic stuff like my best friends and worse enemies from you. You knew it all, Amy. Despite everything", Aaron said as he had now cornered me against the wall.

"I thought I knew what you could and could not do too, Aaron. I thought I could trust you too. I wouldn't have accused you of those things. But, you have changed. You have become this man who is a complete opposite of the man I knew. He was sweet, kind, funny and caring. You have hurt me like nobody could ever hurt me. You know why? Because, unfortunately I trusted you more that I ever trusted anyone", I told him as a tear fell from my eyes.

"Then why not tell me about it all, Amy? If you trusted me so much, then why?" Aaron asked again.

"Because that was the maximum extent I could go to! There are things about me that I am not comfortable sharing. Many of them. I had already pushed myself enough when I had told you the stuff that you know. You don't have to know everything before marrying someone. You need to know important stuff which I had already told you. I didn't know that one day my past will come biting back and my husband will be the one standing against me, using it", I gulped as the tears flew freely down my cheeks.

"A person that has so much effect on you, good or bad, is an important fact to share with your husband, don't you think?", he asked with a frown, looking at me in the eyes.

"What difference would it have made? Why are we even discussing this?" I asked frustratedly wiping my tears.

"Because, I could have lost you that day. I could have lost you because you couldn't trust me enough", Aaron yelled back.

"Lost me? Really? Since when do you care, dammit? You didn't care when I yelled that night. You still had your fun that night with her. God knows, if I had told you earlier, you would have used her sooner. Maybe you would have just gotten her home every night instead. Fuck, I am sure that if Daniel hadn't warned you against hurting me, you would have probably still continued your so-called torture. Lost me, my foot. You are just a heartless man I am misfortunate enough to deal with", I spat at him and tried to walk away from there.

But, Aaron held my arm and pulled me back. Aaron held both my arms tightly and pulled me toward himself. "I am heartless?" Aaron scoffed and yelled at me, "You wanna know what being heartless is? Think about the past. If I were a heartless man, I would not have got up in middle of the night to check on you. If I were a heartless man, I wouldn't have ordered for that stupid couch yesterday. If I were heartless, I wouldn't have bothered to take you to the hospital that night. If I were a heartless man, I wouldn't have spend sleepless nights on it. I would have slept peacefully. If I were a heartless man, I wouldn't have saved your life. I could have left you in that tub. I would have just paid off the officials to hide the whole thing, just like-"

I pushed him away from me in anger and yelled back, "Then, why didn't you? Why did you save me?!"

He glared at me, "What the fuck do you mean by that?"

I scoffed and said, "Exactly what you understood. Why the fuck did you save me? Why not let me go? That's what you wanted anyways, correct?"

"Just stop it, Mel," he told me.

"No, you stop it. Stop pretending that you care when you don't. Stop trying to make me go crazy by oscillating between being good and bad. Stop trying to avoid it and tell me, why did you save me?" I asked him with angry tears blurring my eyes.

"So, what did you want me to do then? Leave you in there?" he gritted at me.

I scoffed, "Yes, why not? Actually, it would have been better that way. You would have won so easily and, I wouldn't have had to deal with you every day at least. I wouldn't have had the constant reminder that I loved the wrong man. I wouldn't have had to fight my emotions, my heart, rack my brains, live in a cage of my thoughts, look at the one person I trusted the most ruin my life, lie to everyone around me and yet, hope that someday I would be happy and free again. I would have been gone so far away from everything. From you. Tell me, Aaron. Why did you save me? Why did you take me to the hospital? Why didn't you just leave me there in the tub to drown? Why did you not just let me di-"

The words died in my mouth because within a second his hands were cupping my cheeks and his face was dangerously close to mine.

It was like he wanted to stop me from saying anything further by just kissing me. But, he stopped at the last second. His lips were almost on mine. One wrong move and they'd meet. I was holding my breath. My throat felt dry as I looked at him slowly through my lashes. His eyes were closed and he audily gulped. When he opened his eyes, they were filled with fury. There was a mix, actually, a mix of rage, fear, disgust. His eyes met mine and I was still looking at him in anticipation and fear. I think I was slightly shivering too. Or maybe it was just him shaking in anger.

Slowly, his eyes left mine and fell on my lips. I gulped again. My gaze shifted to his lips too. It felt like it was just two of us that mattered anymore. I had this strong desire to kiss him too. I don't know why. Maybe I just miss it. I miss his lips on mine. I miss the love and passion between us. I miss the want. Aaron closed his eyes, ready to lean forward and I closed my eyes too.

Then, as if it was meant to be, someone knocked on the door bringing us out of our trances and back to reality.

We pushed away from one another as realization dawned on me about what I was about to do. I rubbed my hands on my face as I was chasing my breath.

What was I about to do? How did I forget about everything? Why did I feel like it was just us in that moment and nothing else mattered? What the hell? What if something would have happened? Damn it, Amy. You came here to say sorry and what were you gonna do? Shit. Stupid, stupid, stupid Amy.

Just then the person outside knocked again.

I was still in shock as Aaron walked away to stand near his desk and cleared his throat.

"C..Come in", he muttered.

The man walked in with a bag. "Sir", he said handing the bag to Aaron.

"What..What is it?" I heard Aaron asked him. I was still looking at the man avoiding to face him.

"Sir, it is what you asked for", the man said trailing his eyes to me. He gave me a curious look and smiled slightly. I was to dazed to respond so I just nodded.

"What did I ask for, Mr. Phillip?" Aaron asked confused.

"Sir, the heating pad. You said your back was aching a while ago", Mr. Phillip replied slightly confused and shocked.

"Oh, yes. Yes, thank you. Sorry, I forgot about it", Aaron told him with a nod and he left.

There was pin drop silence in the room. No one dared to say anything. After a second, Aaron walked to the door while I was still rooted to my spot.

"You can take the rest of the day off", Aaron said and left the office.

I finally released the breath I was holding as relief washed over me. I ran to my office and sat down in my chair. I drank water and shook my head.

How the hell did we reach from avoiding each other to a point of kissing is beyond me? To top it, I didn't even do what I went in for. In fact, I almost did something that I shouldn't do. Fuck it. I need to get it out. I need to get that almost kiss out of my head.

I racked my brains as I scolded myself for getting lost in the moment. I collected my belongings and left the office to go home.

***********************************************************************************************

Hello Readers,

Another update.

Hope you liked it.

Don't kill me for the almost kiss.

Please vote, share and comment.

Heads up! Next week, the update might be a little late. Will try my best though.

Thanks for reading.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 132K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
1.7M 71.5K 70
It's time to fall for cocky, charming, and handsome Billionaire! Or is it? Anyways, life gives you what you never expected out of it in the mess wher...
144K 7.6K 28
"To the heartbeat that quickens at your touch, a melody only our souls can truly dance to..." IZHAAR: Sanity to my Insanity and Peace to my Chaos. (B...
741K 22.4K 40
β€’ BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES β€’ β€’ COMPLETED β€’ β€’ STANDALONE β€’ ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...