Kenzie Gilbert: The Tormented...

由 BeckySmolder

Kenzie Gilbert has just been through a summer of hell and heartbreak. Her fiance and two of her best friends... 更多

1: Second Year Of College
2: Dinner In Atlanta
3: Swimming Hole Party
4: Stefan's System
5: Corn Mazes & Vampire Hunters
6: The Hospital Fundraiser
7: Friendsgiving
8: Drink, Drank, Drunk
9: May 10th of 1994
10: Holidays & Hospitals
11: Twin-Napped
12: Life's Too Short
13: Bonnie's Birthday
14: All The Goodbyes
15: New Hair, New Me
16: Warehouse Rave
17: Don't Get Mad, Get Even
18: Prison World 1903
19: Scull Bar Soap Opera
20: Vampire Proof B&B
21: Talking About Cures & Weddings
22: Momma, Son, & Wifey Time
23: Runaways & Reminiscing
24: We're Both Sorry
26: After A Lifetime, I'll See You Again
Book 7

25: Ric & Jo's Wedding

628 27 8
由 BeckySmolder

Chapter Twenty Five

I sighed softly, running a hand through my hair as I made my way back into Jo's room. She was sitting on the edge of the exam table. "The doctor got the test results back. The babies are fine, you're fine. He thinks it was just–" I was in middle of speaking before she cut me off.

"An acute panic attack, brought on by stress, pregnancy, and a severe lack of food?"

I smiled, "Doctor, right. Yeah, that's basically what he said."

"What are the chances of you being an amazing maid of honor and keeping this mortifying episode to yourself? I don't want to worry Ric."

"Of course," I grinned broadly, lying through my teeth. Elena had called Ric and he was on his way here. "Why don't you get your purse and go sign your discharge papers? I'll bring the car around and meet you at the entrance."

"Okay."

I hurried out the room, pulling out my phone to call Ric. He answered quickly, "Kenzie? Where are you? What room is Jo in?"

"Don't come," I blurted tactlessly. "She's fine."

"What? I'm here," he said as I reached the elevator.

"I'll meet you out front. Just wait for me," I replied, hanging up and pressing the elevator down button repeatedly, impatient as ever. Once the doors opened, I rushed in. And then quickly made my way to a flannel wearing Ric outside the entrance. "You don't look wedding ready."

"Really?" He scoffed. "Elena's on the phone."

I looked down at the phone in his hand as he put it on speaker, holding it between us. "She's fine. She had a panic attack. It causes shortness of breath, hence her fainting. She doesn't want you to know, Ric. So you can't tell her I told you."

"As in she doesn't want to get married to me panic attack?" Ric exclaimed.

"No, as in it's her wedding day and she has two small humans growing inside her, and she can't self-medicate like you, Bourbon-Breath," I quipped, smacking him on the arm.

"Well, thank God. I mean... I saw her fall, and my first instinct was 'vamp' to her, but I couldn't, and then I saw her hit her head, and I wanted to give her vampire blood, but I couldn't," Elena shared with us.

"Wait, so are you having second thoughts?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"No, because then I thought, "What would a human do?" Kenzie took her to the hospital and it was left to the doctors to do their job, and it felt oddly empowering. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Ric smiled, looking at me.

"How amazing it feels to be human again! At first, I was worried that it might take the edge of my senses, but it's the opposite. I feel...connected to the world again. I feel..."

"Alive?" Alaric filled in.

"Yeah," my twin sighed, sounding the most content than I've ever heard anyone, ever.

"That's because your life has purpose again. It's finite, and it's... pretty much the greatest feeling in the whole world."

I winced. So my life didn't have purpose? Eye roll, okay. "You need to get out of here, Ric. I told Jo I was bringing the car around. You can't see her until the wedding," I interrupted their cute little human conversation. Ric looked at me incredulously, obviously wanting to see his fiancee, but he couldn't. "Go!"

***

I walked over to Stefan who was inside, sitting on a couch with Maverick standing on his legs. My heart nearly exploded as Stefan held him steady and made him dance. "Hi," I greeted him, walking over and taking a seat beside my husband.

"Hey, where's Jo? Is she–?"

"She's okay," I assured him. "Thank god, because I tried to feed her my blood but it didn't work."

"What do you mean it didn't work?"

"She didn't wake. Didn't drink."

"She was unconscious, it happens. If you waited a little longer, I'm sure it would've been fine."

"Yeah, but I couldn't risk it. She's pregnant and I was worried for the ba–"

"She's pregnant?" He cut me off, brows raising.

"Yes," I whispered, holding back a grimace. I forgot he didn't know. I'm surprised he didn't but, how could he? I didn't tell him. He's not exactly in Ric's good graces yet either. He doesn't know Jo. And well, he's been on everyone's bad side honestly. "With twins."

I watched his face carefully as he processed everything. From shock to acceptance to more shock. "Wow, congratulations to them," he said, looking at me with an unsettled smile.

"You want a baby," I stated, reaching out to place a hand on his delicate cheek. "I know, Stef. I do too actually." His eyes widened and he started to grin. Oh, that beautiful smile and those perfect teeth. Making him happy made me happy.

"Oh, Stefan!" A shout came, interrupting our moment.

"Elena," Stefan frowned, looking between us.

"We'll talk later," I whispered, unable to fight my own smile. I kissed his cheek then snatched my nephew from him. "Hi, handsome!"

Stefan stood up to speak to Elena, "Hey."

"Is he around?" She whispered.

"No, he needed some time to think."

"That sounds very ominous," she said.

"You talked to Damon?" I growled, narrowing my eyes on my husband, "Really, Stefan?"

"You said no fighting today," he told me, point at me as well.

I shook my head, rolling my eyes. "Fine."

"You don't want him to take it, do you?" Elena asked gently, placing a hand on his arm.

"Remove your hand or I'll rip it off you," I warned her. They both looked at me in disbelief but she surely, dropped her hand. I smiled at them while my twin scoffed.

"It's not up to me," Stef answered her, hands in his pockets as she shrugged.

"Stefan, I'm not him," she chuckled. Clearly like I, she saw right through his feigned indifference. In his defense he was right. It's not up to him. And who would expect him to want his brother to take a cure and leave him for eternity. "You can tell me how you really feel."

"Look, of course I don't want him to take it. He's my brother. The thought of losing him is..."

"Yeah, I know. So, what do you think he's gonna do?"

"Well, you guys never knew Damon as a human," he said, looking from her to me. "He was aimless. Always searching for something more. Sweet and earnest to a fault, but never strong. That came later, when he found himself, when he truly became Damon. He loves being a vampire, and I just don't think he'll ever give that up."

Elena sighed, nodding, "I don't want him to give it up and regret it or resent me."

They didn't give Damon enough credit. He wasn't a child, he knew that this was a big decision. But he made his choice. He was sticking by it. I don't know how you can love someone and yet when they want to spend their life with you, reject it? Why wouldn't my sister want him to take the cure. I get having some doubt, but it was like she said earlier, she was killing her relationship, making Stefan try to talk Damon out of this. It was insane and insensitive. He's willing to give up something so big for her and all she does it make a con and con list. There were no pros. But they both failed to realize one thing: she was his reason. She was the one pro. That was enough.

My sister asked for her son and I handed him over. She said something about going to call Bonnie who still wasn't here. Stefan sat down next to me, taking my hand. "I know you didn't want me to say anything to Damon, but I had to. He's my brother," he said and I nodded.

"I know," I whispered, moving closer to him. "I was trying to protect you from facing it too early, but I truly believe he's going to do it."

"You do?" He frowned.

"I love being a vampire. But if you were human, I'd give it up," I explained, pressing my forehead against his and climbing into his lap. "I love you more than anything. More than being strong. I fell in love with you, when I was weak and at my lowest. But I wouldn't have given you up to feel the way I do today. You're the reason, I am in a better place."

Stefan smiled sadly, "I'd give up anything for you too."

I gave him a matching halfhearted smile, staring into his eyes. Realization was, we were losing Damon. Maybe not technically, and maybe not today but him being human changed our perspective. Hell, it changed everything. "I love you," I said, pressing my lips to Stefan's.

"I love you too," he said, kissing me again, deeper. I moaned softly, slipping my hands into his soft hair. God, I missed this. Just falling into one another. Not because of longing, sexual frustration or after a fight. We were two people in love caught up in a moment.

"There's an hour until the wedding," I panted against Stefan's mouth.

"No," he mumbled back but then kissed me hungrily.

I tugged on his hair, pulling from his mouth, "I'm in a dress. We won't be late."

"No."

"Please, daddy," I purred, biting his earlobe.

"That's not always going to work," he groaned, his hands slipping up my dress, up my thighs.

"As long as it works today," I whispered back before kissing down his neck.

***

Stefan and I shared a look as Elena and Damon came stumbling into the wedding room. We were waiting for the two. Along with Matt and Bonnie who haven't shown. Couldn't be reached either. And the wedding was going to start without the best man and my twin. But here they are.

"Well, I hope it was worth it," Caroline hissed as Elena picked some straw out of Damon's hair.

"We should've done it in a barn," Stefan whispered to me.

"You always get adventurous in the dirties places," I grumbled, giving him a disgusted look.

"You guys too?" Damon smirked.

"Wedding magic," I laughed and he held up a hand for a high five. Stefan shook his head and Elena tried to stop us. But it didn't work.

"She couldn't keep her paws off me," Damon winked.

"Ick, gross! Guys! Not the time, okay? Have you seen Bonnie or Matt?" Caroline asked, looking at the two since Stefan and I already told her we haven't.

"They're not here yet?" Elena gasped worriedly.

"Ohh, just go, go. Go, go, go," Caroline groaned. Then she gave us all a shove. Stefan tried to back track but I clung to his arm. I was supposed to walk alone, Damon with Elena and Matt with Bonnie. But with two missing, who cared.

Elena and Damon behind us stumbled, switching places. I snorted, glancing at the two idiots over my shoulder. When I went to face forward, I stopped, looking at Stefan who's eyes were already on me. We held eye contact as we descended down the aisle. "You have sex hair," Damon whispered as we made it to the front.

I heard Jo scoff, smiling as the four of us took our place. Elena and I hand in hand, standing behind Jo while our respective brothers stood on the opposite end of the altar behind Alaric who pat Stefan on the back. "And so?" Ric whispered to Damon.

"Looks like I'm joining the human club," Damon filled him in, leaning towards his friend. "It's a big night for both of us."

"I'm proud of you."

"You, too, buddy," Damon said. Their bromance was so cute.

The music changed and all eyes moved to the entrance. The guests all stood. Including Tyler who was wincing as Maverick was in his arms, pulling his hair. Next to him sat Liv. Then the rest of the room was packed with the Gemini coven. I was just glad Jo's father showed up. He was walking her down the aisle. And wow, did she look gorgeous.

Her hair was in a low bun behind her head, holding her long veil. Her dress was in a similar style to mine. Strapless, tight at the top with a loose skirt. But hers had small layers of tulle. And over the white dress was a lace print, glittered in silver. It was stunning. Equal parts simplistic and enchanting.

I felt my eyes water as I looked from her nervous smile to Ric's teary gaze and his grin. Oh, this was the happiest day of his life. He deserved this. Jo made it to the altar and her father Joshua took his seat. The couple then joined hands, locking on each other's glowing faces.

"Welcome, family and friends, on this magical evening to the wedding of Alaric Saltzman and Josette Loughlin. Josette and Alaric have prepared their own vows," the reverend began.

Ric cleared his throw then, Neither one of us should be here right now. We've spend our life dodging fate and beating the odds. But, because we did, I got to meet you, the most beautiful, hilarious and intimidatingly brilliant woman I have ever known. You inspire me, you've shown me that happiness is actually something that I can have in my life. And so..." Ric paused to pull her ring out of his pocket. "I promise to be with you, and love you, and to dodge fate with you for the rest of our lives," he finished, sliding the ring on her finger. Wow! What a rock.

"Josette?" The reverend spoke up, gesturing for her to speak next.

Jo sniffled, "Oh god, that's a tough act to follow." Everyone laughed as she carefully wiped her face of her tears. "Here it goes: Alaric Saltzman, you are..."

Jo paused, and I suspected she needed a moment to catch her breath. She was nervous, how couldn't she be? Ric just brought everyone close to tears. Jo gasped loudly, alarming me immediately. Her face started to crumbled as if she was in pain. "Jo? What is it?" Ric asked, grabbing her by her hips as she started to sway. I took hold of Elena's arm and pulled her forward. I didn't want Jo to faint again. "Oh, my god. Jo?" Ric gasped.

I froze as I saw blood pooling in the middle of her dress under her chest. What the hell? "Oh, god no," Ric was saying panicking the same time as Jo screamed out in pain. Appearing right in front of me was Kai holding a knife covered in blood. "Oh, my God! No, no, no. Jo," Ric cried as Jo collapsed in his arm, him falling to the ground to hold her.

"I was gonna wait 'til the "death do us apart" bit, but it seemed a little on the nose. Am I right?" The psychopath had the nerve to taunt everyone here.

"You motherfuck–" I was in the middle of saying as people started to rise and Damon moved forward. Suddenly a piercing screech of a whistle blew in the room with the raise of Kai's arms at his side. I clutched my ears at the crippling pain.

"Miss me? No? Oh well," I heard Kai as the piercing noise stopped for a minute.

In a flash I was across the room, grabbing my nephew from Tyler. I wanted to get him out of here. I heard Elena scream my name before the sound of glass breaking filled the room. The windows blew with the force of magic, wind swarming around everyone and enough to make me stumble to my knees.

"Ah!" I cried out in pain, one of my hands catching me from falling forward landed in glass.

The chandeliers all came falling down next and sparks flew from the electric with another wave of magic. I curled my body around Maverick who was scream-crying. I had to shield him from the wreckage at all costs. "Kenzie?" I heard Stefan as an arm wrapped around me.

I briefly looked up towards him, "I'm okay."

"Stefan? Stefan!" We heard Damon. Both of us looked to see Damon a few feet away with Elena's head in his lap. Stefan was to his feet first, helping me up. The place was wrecked and people were getting up and leaving. Or passed out in the rows of seating.

"Stefan? Kenzie?" A voice came. We both froze to look at Caroline calling us. Her forehead bleeding it looked like. I ignored her and hurried over to Damon and Elena. "She won't wake up," Damon told us.

"Oh, my God," Caroline said."She won't wake up. I don't understand," Damon repeated as I got on my knees next to them. I checked her pulse with one hand. She was still breathing. He clearly had tried to feed her his blood. Kind of like I did with Jo."Get her to the hospital," I said. "Now."

Damon's eyes widened in disbelief as if he just realized how obvious that was. "Yeah," he mumbled. Stefan helped him to stand up as he was cradling my twin in his arms. Once he was on his feet, he took off in a flash.

"She's human, what if she doesn't–?" Caroline was saying before she was cut off. Behind her and Stefan stood Kai who snapped their necks with a flick of his wrists.

I was frozen in fear. I had my nephew in my arms, clutching my shirt and petrified into soft sobs in my neck. I couldn't fight Kai. And I didn't want to die at the moment. "Nothing personal, but this is a family matter," Kai told the bodies now on the floor. Then he looked at me, squinting his eyes and tilting his head. "Now what to do with you?"

"Kai," I mumbled, taking a step back.

We were soon surrounded by a bunch of chanting witches. His coven. Kai sighed, looking around at all of them. "Let me guess, Prison World?" Kai questioned, assuming the spell.

"Sanguinem filio. Sanguinem effurgarex perpetuum," the chant went.

"I mean, you can't kill me. Or else you all die too, right," Kai said.

I snuck around behind him to Ric who was sobbing on the floor. I crouched down beside him, biting into my wrist of my free arm. I placed it against Jo's mouth just for pretenses. But I couldn't hear a heartbeat. But my ears were still ringing from all the recent noise.

"Look, I fed her my blood earlier. Maybe... Maybe she's in transition," I told Ric, rubbing his shoulder to console him.

"This ought to do it," Kai said loudly, catching my attention. I looked up just to see him stab himself with a large piece of glass, right in his carotid. He slowly dropped, gagging on blood to his death and then the witches around slowly one by one fell too, ending their chant.

"Love!" A voice called out. I turned to see Enzo at the entrance. I stood up slowly, in disbelief. I was so happy to see him right now. I stumbled forward towards him, collapsing in his arms as he embraced me. "I got you, love. I got you," he said, kissing the top of my head as I slowly crumbled. It was like all my strength faded with a sense of relief. I could feel the strong arms of the devilishly handsome man who was sweeping me off my feet to carry me away from this disaster.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

"Of course. What are mates for," he said, looking down at me in his arms. Then he smiled and I couldn't help but smile back. It didn't matter that the whole night went to shit. I was okay, Maverick was okay. Everything would be okay.

***

Enzo and I were driving in his car. I was in the backseat with Maverick who had cried himself to sleep. Enzo went back in after rescuing me for Caroline and Stefan. Surprisingly, they were both unconscious. But there necks were snapped so it seemed a bit deliberate. Enzo also said he saw Damon who was taking Elena to the hospital. She hit her head and passed out, which is why I kept the baby. Care was passed out in the front seat and Stefan in the back beside me.

My husband's head twitching caught my attention. "Stef?" I called out, reaching for him as he sat up in his seat, green eyes looking at me confused. He slowly came to, moving close to wrap one arm around my shoulder and his other hand cupped my face, kissing me quickly. "Hi," I smiled as he pulled back just enough to rest his forehead against mine.

"I was so worried about you," he whispered.

A small groan was heard next. I guess Caroline was waking up. "Good, you're both up. Sorry to be indecorous, but you were both solidly unconscious when I pulled you from the wedding mayhem," Enzo said.

"Where are we going?" Stefan asked, looking around the car bewildered.

"Elena!" Caroline screamed.

"Keep it down," I hissed, covering Maverick's ears. "Sleeping two year old back here."

"Elena is in the hospital with Damon. Kai is dead, and all the Gemini's are going down with him. And I grabbed Kenzie and you, Caroline because I cared. Stefan because I need his help to deal with a bigger problem."

"There's a bigger problem?" Caroline scoffed incredulously.

"Yeah, you and I being in the same car," I spat. "He should've left you with the rest of the trash from the destroyed venue."

"Kenz," Stefan scolded. Caroline didn't bother to face me or retort. She crossed her arms and sat forward, shutting up for once in her life. "Be nice," my husband whispered in my ear.

"Make me," I quipped. His eyes met mine and he smirked. I narrowed my eyes back, I was not playing with him. This wasn't a flirty moment. I despised Caroline. She tried to steal my man, and she slept with him after making him turn off his humanity. As far as I was concerned, she was absolute scum.

It took us another 20 minutes to reach a storage yard. Enzo filled them in on the ride. Lily was there searching for her heretic family. Kai met them in the prison world. He supposedly brought them back when he escaped. With Lily's help apparently. When we got there, I left Maverick sleeping in the backseat while Stefan and I got out together to face his mother who was in front of us checking a storage unit.

Hand in hand we approached her as she yelled into the empty metal box, "Valerie? Malcolm?"

Stefan sighed as she shut it. "Get in the car, please," he said. As if it would be that easy. The woman was unhinged.

"1702 Route 12," she blurted out frantically. "That's... That's where we are, right?"

"Do I look like Google maps," I scoffed. "Lily let's go."

"He said they would be here. They're probably scared out of their minds."

"Who are you talking about?" Stefan asked, beyond irritated as she walked off to check a nearby unit. It wasn't often I saw him this mad. He was frustrated. Minutes away from losing his temper.

"My friends. Kai brought them back when he escaped that prison," Lily told us. She opened the door to this unit and looked inside. Empty. "They're here, somewhere."

Stefan sighed again, exasperated, "He lied to you. There's nobody out here. You made a deal with a sociopath, and now a lot of people are dead. You're wasting your time!"

Lily walked off and before Stefan could follow, I moved in front of him. "What?" He asked me.

I raised a brow, "Don't take that tone with me."

He frowned, "I'm sorry, baby."

I placed my hands on his shoulder, "I'm only here because I wanted to make sure that she didn't get her so called friends back. But if they're not here, we're wasting our time too. Elena is in the hospital. That matters more."

"You should go then, be with her," Stefan said gently, an arm going around my waist.

"And leave you? Out of the question," I replied, looking at him confused. "No, I want you with me. Please."

"Give me a few more minutes then."

I nodded, "Of course."

He kissed my forehead and then stepped around me. I followed though. I didn't trust his mother one bit. Not with anything or anyone for any reason. We found Lily checking another storage unit, peeking her head in currently. "Let me guess, not there either," Stefan said.

She stepped out, closing the door. "Did you come all this way to mock me?" She asked.

"No, I came here to put you back in your cell where you belong."

"Do I look like a Ripper, Stefan?" She quipped.

"Yes," I answered.

She huffed, "I've said repeatedly that the hope of being reunited with my family is enough to overcome the urges."

"Would you please just stop it with the word family?" Stefan snapped. I was a little shocked with his outburst. He was pissed. But now I understood. He wasn't just annoyed like I was about this situation. He was emotional about her relationship and feelings for the heretics. "They're just a bunch of random people that you happened to sire!"

Lily was taken aback. "We spent a century and a half together. We're loyal to each other. Our relationship is a deeper bond than I have ever known. What other word would I use?" She questioned seriously.

"Lily, you either come with me right now, or you're out of my life," Stefan said then. My jaw dropped. Who was he? He was forward and strong and sexy because of it. God, I loved when he was angry and took charge like this. "Do you understand me? Your son."

"I'm sorry," she said with only a second of hesitation. Then she stepped around us, walking away and calling out, "Malcolm, are you here sweetheart?"

Stefan in a flash had grabbed her, pinning her to a wall with his arm pressed against her throat. My eyes widened. "Stefan," I mumbled unsure of him right now.

"What did you give Kai?" Stefan asked her.

"I thought you were leaving," she choked out.

I moved in, placing a hand on his shoulder. "She can't answer you if you won't let her breathe."

Stefan dropped his arm but still held her in place. "Tell me what you gave Kai in return for your family," he demanded from his mother.

Lily with that stupid innocent, scared look answered hesitantly, "I gave him my blood."

My phone suddenly buzzed and I stepped away to look at it. A text from Ric, "TY WEREWOLF. KAI VAMPIRE." I gasped, grabbing Stefan by his arm. "We need to go now," I told him. "This night is out of control enough as is."

Stefan looked at Lily behind us before sighing in defeat. "Okay, let's go."

***

I stared at Damon in disbelief. He said Kai was just there. Tyler bit him. He wanted to know how to fix it. Then he told Damon what was wrong with Elena was a spell he put on her. She was now linked to Bonnie. But as long as my best friend lived, my twin would stay asleep. She wouldn't wake until Bonnie died.

"And he said if we try to magic our way out of it, both girls die," Damon informed Stefan, Caroline, and I. My jaw dropped and Stefan's arm wrapped around me. I hugged my husband back tightly. "Bonnie's doing a locator spell now to find him. And I will beat him until he undoes this spell. I won't choose between them."

"If he doesn't undo it, there is no choice," I said, pulling from Stefan. "Bonnie lives."

"What happens to Maverick?" Caroline spoke up and I winced. Matt was just here to pick up his son from me. Poor baby had a long night and needed some much needed rest. And I was afraid there would be more bad night's for my nephew. He'd miss his mom if we couldn't fix this. And he'd miss her for majority of his life.

Tears pooled in my eyes and I hugged Stefan again, crying into his neck. This wasn't fair. Not at all. Elena had a son! He needed her. She shouldn't miss him grow up. But killing Bonnie? That wasn't an option. It couldn't be. Not after everything she's done for us all.

Stefan rubbed my back until I calmed down. Caroline and Damon left us alone in Elena's hospital room. I ended up by Elena's bedside, holding her hand. "I need to call Jeremy," I stated, scrambling to my feet. He missed the wedding. Thankfully. But he was on his way here. And I needed him to hurry. I needed him here.

"I'll call him," Stefan told me.

I shook my head, "No. I need to hear his voice."

Stefan nodded, standing beside me as I made the call. "Hey, Kenz," he answered. A small sob left my lips. He sounded so carefree. I hated having to bring him bad news. "What's wrong? Are you hurt? Is it Stefan? Cause I'll kick his ass when I–" I laughed while Stefan cleared his throat.

"Not Stefan," my husband said.

"Oh. Hey, Stefan," my brother greeted.

"It's Elena," I told him. "She's... there's a spell on her."

"What do you mean? What spell?"

"She's now sleeping beauty. Her life was linked to Bonnie's by that psychopath Kai from the prison world."

"Wait, what?"

"Elena can't wake up until Bonnie dies."

"Oh, my God."

"I know," I cried, leaning against Stefan. "I don't know what to do, Jer."

"I can't even believe this. What about Mav? And Damon?! He can't kill Bonnie. And... And that means I'll never see my sister again. Bonnie and I both will die before Elena wakes."

"It's going to be okay," I said, sniffling. "We will get through this Jer. I promise you."

"Kenzie," he whimpered. My heart felt like a hand was wrapped around it. I wanted to protect my little brother from everything. But this was a pain, a loss he had that I couldn't fix. And the idea of not having my twin, made the world feel wrong. Dead wrong. Flipped upside down, the Earth was flat wrong. She drove me insane most of the time but she was my other half. We spent our whole lives together. We did so much together. I didn't want to spend any of my years without her in them.

She did just become human again. Of course in 60 some years I'd lose her. But it would hurt less knowing she lived a long and happy life. This? This was cruel. She'd miss Bonnie, Jer, Matt, Tyler, and Ric. She'd never see them again. She wouldn't see Maverick grow up. She wouldn't be there as my maid of honor at my wedding. She wouldn't be around to watch any kids Stefan and I adopt grow up either. Time stood still for her. Yeah, she could be a doctor later and Damon could wait for her. But everyone would spend all the years she slept, missing her.

"I need you here, Jeremy," I stated. "We will find a way, together, okay?"

"Okay," he said softly.

"I love you."

"I love you too, sis."

"Where you at now?"

"Still at the airport. Delays after delays. I'll get there as soon as I can."

"Okay. Look, I hate to give you bad news and leave ya, but... I hate keeping things from you. I want you to be prepared just in case... we can't fix this."

"Go, I'm... I'll be alright."

"I can't wait to see you," I said.

He chuckled softly, clearing his throat. "I'll be there soon, Kenzie."

"Okay, bye," I replied, hanging up.

I turned to Stefan, smiling. He raised an eyebrow at me, "You feel better?" He asked me. I nodded. Talking to my little bro did make me feel better. Made me feel lighter. He brought me the most comfort. He made me stronger. We always leaned on each other. We struggle together, we thrive together. This would be no different. We would get through this.

"I have you and I have my brother... I'll get through this," I whispered.

I turned back to Elena, moving to her bedside and grabbing her hand. The tears filled my eyes again. My twin, my younger by minutes sister. This wasn't fair. I didn't know what I'd do without her here. She was my shoulder to lean and cry on, she was my best friend even when she got on my nerves. I loved her. We've overcome so much together, especially since meeting the Salvatores. This shouldn't be how it ends for her. She didn't do anything to Kai. She deserved to be a mom, live her dream as a doctor and open back up our dad's doctor's office, and she deserved an epic love, she hasn't had one thus far and I do believe it's Damon for her. I couldn't bare the idea she couldn't live that perfect life. It's all she ever wanted, to be a doctor, a mom, and a wife—A perfect combination of our parents.

Just then a knock came to the door. It was Damon who was slipping into the room. I sniffled quietly, wiping my eyes. "Bonnie found him," Damon stated.

"I want to go with you," I said.

"No," Stefan piped up quickly. "That's a bad idea."

"I agree," Damon told me. "It's not safe."

"I can't just sit here and let him get away with this! It's my sister. My twin. If anyone's fucking going, it's me," I told them both firmly, standing from my seat. I then looked at Damon, raising an eyebrow. "We going together or shall I call Bonnie and chance beating you there?" I asked him, crossing my arms.

He looked at Stefan, who I couldn't see. Then he sighed, pulling his keys out his pockets. His blue eyes were filled with a storm when they landed on mine, "Let's ride, sidekick."

~Picture: Ric & Jo on their wedding night

So ummmm... I haven't worked out all the kinks to this plan. But I have somewhat of an idea of how I want this all to go. Unfortunately Jo did not make it. And well—spoiler alert—Elena probably will be sleeping for awhile. It seems messed up. But, such is these people's lives. I just kind of imagine Kenzie stepping up as Maverick's mom... which may be a deciding factor on how the rest of the series go.

But what's everyone thinking and feeling now?? What about the twins? 👀 I kind of have an idea about that. Even though honestly, part of me has no idea where this story is going. I just let it flow, rather than plan 🤫

But anyways... last chapter will be the last of this book and then onto BOOK 7–The Possessive Twin 🧡🧡🧡

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

78.9K 2K 27
Kenzie Gilbert is dead. Gone is the mute, depressed teenage girl she was before she met Stefan Salvatore. Left behind was the young woman she became...
18.3K 650 16
"You know that she's a vampire now? So, she remembers who you are? It's been over a year, Klaus. She doesn't love you. You can't actually think that...
107K 2.8K 24
Kenzie Gilbert has been secretly keeping a long distance relationship with Stefan, who was whisked away for the summer with evil hyrbid, Klaus Mikael...
611K 11.1K 60
Cameron Ace Gilbert. The younger sister to elana, but older sister to Jeremy. The middle child. the forgotten child. Elena and pretty much everyone e...