Never Without You │ BOTW mode...

By Finnclarkson

A relationship between an internationally praised athlete and a straight A student who hates any kind of atte... More

Quick Welcome Back!
Different
Your Fault
One More Day
Just the Two of Us
Broken
I Had So Many Reasons
Birthday Candles
Make a Wish
Tell Me Everything's Fine
Expelled
The Heart of Hyrule
Consequences
A One-Time Thing
Drunk
No Means No
Fool
I Do
You
Do It Again
Happiness
There's Nothing Wrong With Being a Virgin
A Dead Sparrow On The Pavement
Hey
Overthinking is a Waste of Time
Letting Go and Moving On
3F
Aryll
よろしくおねがいします
宮本リンク
みらい
おやすみ
コンビニ
夏祭り
ルト
過去
新しい関係と古い傷跡
立ち呑みやま
祇園 小森
Hero
Good Person
Bad Person
Breaking Up
I haven't been honest about Ruto
All the Things that Hurt Us
Breath of the Wild
Mount Lanayru
Slumbering Power
Just Feel
Never Without You
While We Were Gone
Hyrule University vs. Karusa Valley
You and Me, No Lovers
A Smile on Revali's Sour Face
Kiroh
Taking a Shower
Can't Always Get What You Want
Homeless
Another Smiley Face on the Glass
Mía
Death Wish
Not Safe
Prison
Consent
Taking a Life
Already dead
Everything I Do is For Us
I'm Not Going Anywhere
If you could snap your fingers and make it all go away
Flowers and Chocolate
Bus Stop
Deku
I Vowed to Protect Your Daughter
We're Not Friends
Temptation
Nobody to Blame
Love Can Take Many Forms
Therapy
A Complex Puzzle
Lemonade
Shad
Bonfire
When She Gives Her Heart to Him, She Breaks My Heart in Two
The Crying of Lot 49
Eternal Riddler
Ramses
Game of Doors
Brothers
We Are Getting Married
Bumblebee
Tennis Ball
I Made Sure of That
Thanksgiving
Just For One Night

A Good Day

6.8K 193 815
By Finnclarkson

I so rarely eat breakfast in the company of Father that it feels like a special occasion each time. Or a punishment. Fortunately, today it's neither. We are just having breakfast together as any ordinary family would. Without any hidden intentions or plans. Well... Almost. I need to find a way to bring up golf.

We are sitting at the large table outside. The maid set the table with two plates, two sets of silverware, two glasses of orange juice, and two napkins, yet she somehow managed to present food for eight people. How are we supposed to finish all of this? I see every kind of fruit, from pineapple and strawberries to kiwi, bananas, and blueberries. Four plates of pastry and freshly baked croissants, and two pans with scrambled eggs and bacon. What a waste.

"How did you sleep?" Father asks across the table. Here comes the usual small talk, mandatory for social gatherings.

"I slept fine, thanks. I was exhausted after the wedding and fell asleep right away."

"Did you have a good time last night?"

"Yes. The wedding was delightful. Link was wearing a suit, I think you would have enjoyed seeing it."

"Judging by the tint of your cheeks, it's safe to say you liked it much more than I would have," he returns with a smug smile. Who is this man?!

"Father!" I scold, trying not to blush any further.

"I apologize," he returns with a calm smile.

So far he seems to be in an incredible mood. I still feel awkward when he tries to make jokes but I truly appreciate his efforts of being more laid-back around me.

"What about you? Did you have a good day yesterday?"

"I had one very unpleasant phone call," he sighs. "But two very pleasant ones, so I mustn't complain. I may be able to sell another property on the east coast."

"Oh! That sounds great!"

"More promising news: my most recent stock investment has doubled over the past week. I have faith it has continued growing over the weekend. But I won't know until tomorrow morning."

"Sounds like you had a positive ending to a very busy week!" I note, still waiting for an opportunity to bring up golf. Looking at the fated city in the distance below, an idea pops into my head. "The weather is balmy today. Not a cloud in the sky and nearly a complete absence of wind. Quite fitting for golfing, wouldn't you agree?"

"Indeed."

"Speaking of which. I was wondering if... Are you still planning on going to the club today?"

"I am."

"Could I come along?"

"I thought you weren't very fond of golf."

"Well... I'm... I'm not not fond of it. It's just that... Since Link is still in rehab, it is one of the few sports that wouldn't strain his body as much. I thought it would be a good activity for the two of us. Perhaps it will benefit his recovery."

"Would you like me to invite him as well?"

"If you don't mind, I'm sure he'd like to tag along."

"Very well," he says with a quick raise of his brows. "I suppose I can bring you two along."

"Cool, thanks!" I chirp. I didn't expect him to agree so quickly! Wait, why is he giving me a criticizing look now?

"What? What did I do?"

"Don't say cool. It's slang."

"Actually, every dictionary will define it as low temperature. Just pretend I was referring to the eggs being cool," I try to joke but our relationship is clearly not ready for friendly bickering. I falter beneath his serious stare. "I won't say cool again," I nod, lips pressed together.

"Thank you."

I wait a few seconds before cautiously glancing back at him. I catch him smiling at himself. So he did understand my joke and, even if he didn't want to admit it, he enjoyed it! With a suppressed smile of my own, I stretch my arm over all the bowls and plates to pick up a strawberry with my fork. This is a good start to the day. A great start even!

After breakfast, I text Link that we are going to pick him up at noon. Father and I get dressed for golf. He insisted I wear the outfit he bought me years ago; a marine blue miniskirt, a white polo shirt, and a white visor cap. This doesn't feel like me. It's so... sportsy. I wonder if Link will like it more than my usual choice of fashion.

We leave the house at 11:30 AM. Ever since I got my driver's license, I have barely spent time with Father in one vehicle. It was always dreadful and something I tried to avoid at all costs. But today I somehow looked forward to it. He even keeps the radio off to converse with me during the drive.

I give him directions to the frat house, pretending he didn't find out its location by stalking me last year. When we get there, Link is waiting in the driveway, dressed as usual; black Adidas shorts, an Olympics t-shirt, and a black cap. He's wearing his knee brace too.

We park on the other side of the road. I lower the window and wave at him across the street. As soon as our eyes meet, his jaw drops and he walks over to us.

"Hey," I greet him joyfully.

"Nice car," he gasps, mesmerized by the design of the vehicle. Once he gets into the back, Father turns around to shake Link's hand.

"Good day, Link. Glad you could join us."

"Thanks for letting me come along today."

After a few minutes on the highway, I decide to turn on the radio to fill the silence but Father turns it down pretty immediately.

"So, Link," Father says, glancing at him in the rear mirror. "Have you played golf before?"

"Not much," Link answers. "I know the rules though."

"That is... a start," Father tries to be nice. I wish I was sitting in the back with Link. I'd secretly hold his hand, make our knees touch, and smile at him from the corner of his eyes.

The rest of the ride is fairly quiet. I try to start some small talk here and there, but it feels so forced that I decide to just stay quiet until we get there.

I haven't been to the country club in years. I only have bad memories of this place like Father yelling at me for using the wrong golf terms, while simultaneously talking business with his colleagues.

When we get out of the car, Father talks to the caddies and greets a couple of his 'friends'. Meanwhile, Link walks up to me to give me a quick hug.

"What's this for?" I ask pleasantly surprised.

"I wasn't able to properly greet you in the car," he smiles and whispers, "I'd kiss you if your dad wasn't around."

"I'd kiss you back," I blush.

"You look cute today by the way. I like it when your hair is up in the thingy," he says, pointing at his own hair.

"The thingy? You mean a ponytail?"

"Yeah," he laughs. "I like it like that." His fingers grab a few strands of my hair and awkwardly place it over my collarbone. "Sorry, I'm acting so weird," he chuckles. "I'm just happy to see you."

"It's only been a few hours," I quietly laugh, probably even more zealous to see him.

"I know. Still. I like being close to you." He bites his lip and takes in my whole appearance. Flustered, I tighten my hair and enjoy the sight of Link's flushed cheeks.

"How are you feeling today? You're wearing your knee brace, is everything okay?"

"I always wear it when I do sports."

"So everything is fine then?"

"Everything's great," he assures me with a smile.

Once the caddie has arrived with our clubs, we move to the course and stop at the first hole. Father goes first, followed by Link. He gets the ball pretty close to the hole, gaining one of Father's rare compliments. They seem to be getting along splendidly. I love that Link doesn't change his whole personality in presence of Father. Sure, he acts more respectful and mature in some ways, but he doesn't change his style, his vocabulary, or treat me any differently. And I think secretly Father appreciates that sincerity just as much.

"I'm up," I say, walking up to the caddie. He hands me a 9 Iron, perfect for the distance. After my pitch, the ball rolls up towards the hole and finally comes to a halt not far from Link's ball.

"Holy shit, you're good," Link comments with a perfect mixture of a confused and impressed look on his face. I look at Father, expecting him to scold Link for his language, but instead, he gapes at my ball with the same look.

"I thought you said you were bad at golf," Father says, now looking at me.

"I am. I suppose you must be worse," I cheekily stick out my tongue and he chuckles as he rolls his eyes at me.

This is actually enjoyable! I love this day already! I never imagined hanging out with Father like this, let alone in the company of my boyfriend! This is surreal!

"You look happy," Link whispers during one of the drives between holes.

"Because I am." I take his hand into mine and share a smile with him. "Father is in a good mood today. Would you still like to talk to him about... the situation?"

"Yeah, I think today is a good day. I'm nervous though."

"Mhm, me too."

After the 18th hole, we head for the restaurant. On our walk past the little park area, Link's eyes go wide when he spots the pool and gym.

"This place is so fancy. Maybe I should come here more often," he says in awe.

"Becoming a member isn't exactly easy," Father replies, crushing Link's heart. We enter the restaurant, a bright and lavish building. "Would you two prefer to dine indoors or outdoors?"

In perfect synchrony, Link and I answer "Outdoors".

"Really?" Father wrinkles his nose.

"It's a perfect day to eat outside, why wouldn't we?" I ask him.

"Because of the bees and pollen."

"Bees only sting when in danger and are extremely important to humans," I note.

"I know, Sweetie," Father says in defeat and leads us to the back terrace.

The white wooden flooring goes well with the framed photos on the restaurant walls but the outside area is even prettier. Plants and lanterns decorate this area along with a perfect view over the golf course. We sit in the shade of the pergola with slim rays of sunlight finding their way through the vines and flowers growing overhead.

Once we have ordered our drinks, Link and I exchange a look and a tiny nod, agreeing that now is as good a time as any.

"Father," I begin, losing confidence as soon as his eyes land on me. He is sitting across from us, studying the menu.

"What is it?" He asks, noticing our nervous expressions.

"Er... Link and I, we... we wanted to discuss something with you." Immediately, Father's posture changes, his brows furrow in caution, and only the goddesses know what horrible things may go through his mind at this very moment. "It's about school," I quickly add to remove all other assumptions.

Relief softens his features. "What about school?" He asks, looking back and forth between the two of us until his eyes finally settle on Link.

Link begins, looking as calm as someone in his situation could be. "Due to my injuries, I lost my sports scholarship. It was a full-ride scholarship, so now I have to somehow come up with money for tuition."

"How much?" Father asks. He can probably guess where this is going.

"Well, um... Each academic year costs about $80,000..." Link says, bravely holding eye contact.

"Have you applied to other scholarships?"

"Mh..." Link scratches the back of his head, trying to find the right words. "My grades aren't really... good enough for a non-athletic scholarship."

"So you are in need of financial aid."

"International students can't apply for financial aid..."

"That is unfortunate. How do you plan on financing school?"

"Zelda and I went over some of my options but none of them get me even close to what I need in order to pay for HU. And after everything we've been through, I really don't want to transfer schools."

"That would be a shame indeed."

"So we were thinking that... Well, it was her idea that maybe I could apply for a job at one of your businesses to help save up some money for school. I know I'm not really qualified for a high-paying position or anything, but I'll literally take any job to make this work somehow."

"Let me stop you right there." Father repositions himself and leans forward just a tad to rest his elbows on the table. "You are here on an F-1 visa. That prohibits you from entering the workforce in the States."

Link's shoulders drop, his chin falls. "Right..."

"And even if I hired you and helped you obtain a work visa, there is a deadline for tuition payments. You would have to earn the money by the end of May and that just isn't possible in your case."

"Right," Link repeats in despair.

"Let me write you a check," Father suddenly suggests.

Link's head shoots up and his body stiffens. "No," he retorts impolitely. "I mean, thank you so much, but no."

"You need the money," Father states confused.

"Sure but I don't want you to give it to me."

"I'm sorry, weren't you just asking me for a job?"

"Yes, but–but then I would have earned the money. I don't want to just take it."

"How come? I am offering."

This again... I want to jump in but interrupting their conversation seems like the wrong move.

"I really appreciate it, but I can't accept a gift of so much value," Link explains.

"Who said it would be a gift? I expect you to work for it. You will just get paid in advance."

"Oh," Link ponders. "Are you sure? I mean, would that really be okay? How can I work for you if I'm not allowed to work in the US?"

"You will work for my international division. During the summer, one of my companies in Japan will hire you. Everything will be legal that way."

"Okay, yeah, definitely, that–that sounds great," Link nods with gratitude written all over his face. "Thank you so much."

I bite my tongue, trying not to frown. I'm so grateful for Father's help, but a tiny part of me is disappointed that Link will be working during our trip to Japan. But that part is minor. I'm mainly just happy that Father is willing to work something out with Link! Even though I'm still wondering how Link will be able to make enough money in one summer...

"Thank you, Father." For now, it's good enough to know that Link will be able to continue his studies at Hyrule University.

"After all the trouble we went through, it would be a shame to see Link go." Father looks at Link with a serious but lenient mien. "I expect your GPA to go up next semester."

"Yes, of course," Link answers like a soldier and nods, looking slightly intimidated.

"Excellent," Father concludes and puts the menu down. "What do you say we stick with drinks here and dine at home instead."

"All three of us?" I ask confused.

"Of course all three of us. Link and I have business to discuss and payments to make."

(Hey guys!! First of all, thank you so much for 50K reads! Secondly, I'm traveling for a few weeks ✈️ but don't worry, you'll still get new chapters on Wednesdays and Saturdays!! Just not sure at what exact time I'll be uploading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 123 12
what happens when two so called enemies get drunk one night and it changes their lives forever? Do they become lovers? Do they agree on forgetting ab...
10.5K 353 14
It all started when they moved into the dorms. A friendly game of truth or dare gets complicated, and things take a turn for better or worse. What ha...
12.9K 478 19
. Chifuyu Matsuno, a middle schooler who had met a mysterious person, Baji Keisuke. He had liked baji ever since he had protected him but, it all wen...
19.3K 190 18
UA students, their parents, pro heroes and previous OFA users watch superhero media. (Starting over since the first one get deleted out of nowhere)