Starry Friend

By Pinkrose2333

With a passion for taking care of kids and a desperation for some sort of work experience I find a job and th... More

How to Begin/Exposition
Step One: find a job!
Orientation seems...sketchy
Yellow Blur
Instinct Moment
Reluctant and Hesitant

Day 1: Be Useful!

6 0 0
By Pinkrose2333

Sun gave me a quick rundown on how to sign the kids in and make sure there was only one guardian assigned for pick up. There could be an emergency contact and an alternative person over eighteen who could sign a child out, but explicit signatures were required. All first time guests signed a waiver and seasonal pass holders swiftly went through the procedures with practiced ease.

Surprising enough, I think I got the hang of it!

After the 12:30pm freeze on sign ins I was finally able to make my way down the employee stairs into the play area. Kids couldn't be signed in again until after nap time, in order to ensure all kids had enough wind down time before rest and no one would disturb their sleep.

I honestly didn't know where to start, the place was just so lively. Now that I was able to get a good look at the place, I would have loved it if I were younger. I still appreciate it, but I know for a fact this chubbiness is not going to fit through that play structure.

Sun spotted me and waved me down.

"Little ladies and tiny gentlemen, I have an announcement!" He wasn't going to-

"I'd like to introduce you to my new friend!" oh no, he is.

"This is our new friend Rose, she's going to play with us all day! And she's going to help with nap time too!"

The kids stayed quiet for a moment. Oh no, do they automatically just not like me!?!? Oh gosh what if I actually am repellent for children, will I ever get to open that orphanage if no one is happy with my presence? What if-

"She looks like my momma"

What?

"No! She looks like a star! My momma says that people with little dots on their face become stars!" huh, I've never heard anyone say that about freckles.

"Noooooo! Both are wrong! She looks like a princess. My dad says that princesses always wear a flower in their hair so the hunning-birds know where to fly!" crochet flowers suddenly mean princess status?????

Okay I wasn't expecting that?

"You dumb-dumb! It's called a hummingbird!"

While Sun tries to quell the warring kids, a small little girl pulls on my pants.

"They're all lying, you look like my big sister. She is very nice, but mom kicked her out of the house when she got a bad grade. My big sister brought me here today though, she says as long as people have nice eyes they are good people. You have pretty eyes so you are a good people"

What do I say to that???

I bent down so I was at eye level with her, "your big sister sounds very nice. What does she like to play with you?"

"Big sister plays tag with me!"

"Oh? Should we ask Sun to play tag?"

"Yea! That way the kids yelling over there can be happy again!", a very observative girl.

"Oh Suuuun!"

Sun stops his struggle to reign in the troubled kids when he hears me. He turns his head slightly indicating his attention and soon the other two kids follow.

"Little...." oof, forgot to ask her name, she notices and whispers, "Abby".

"Little Abby suggests we play tag!"

"Wowowow little Abby that's a great idea! What do we all say?" he gestures towards the kids, who respond with practiced conviction, "thank you Abby!".

And so the longest nine games of tag were played...

~~~~~~~~~~

The little ones were finally beginning to wind down. I'm glad. I could not stand to run around for another round of duck duck goose. I totally forgot I wasn't fit.

"Rose?"

I mumble a little humm in response.

"Nap time is in a few minutes and you'll be meeting Moon"

"Oh! Your dual AI partner right?"

He seemed surprised for a moment and continued explaining how nap time usually works.

"I think I can handle that, thank you Sun"

I spreaded out most of the mats and soon a low robotic voice began counting down.

5...4...3...2....1.

The lights began to dim, then fully turned off after a few minutes. Glow in the dark stars I had never noticed before, began to glow and little night lights were suddenly activated. It looked like we were in space.

There was a small sound of shifting metal and soon a dark figure seemed to loom in the dark.

Careful to keep my voice down I managed to get his attention, "hello my name is Rose I am the new hire"

He hardly regarded me with a glance of his light blue eyelights then continued to check over the kids and make a head count I assumed.

"I am Moon. Please leave the surveillance of the children to me. If I should call you, be ready at a moment's notice, but otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you didn't walk around too much", his voice was soft and smooth, but I could tell he didn't really want me around.

"you're the boss, Mr. Moon. I'll be sure to stay out of your way"

As silently as possible I made my way to the corner of the play area, nearby a little starry lantern. Maybe next time I should bring a book, or would turning the page disturb their sleep?

Mr. Moon was very diligent when looking after the kids I found out. The second one of the restless sleepers made themselves known, he was quick to scoop them up and hush them quietly. It was so fascinating watching him work to be honest. The atmosphere was so different from when I played with the children with Sun.

Maybe there could be something I could do for the kids with Mr. Moon then? I shouldn't jump into anything without him approving, but there are a lot of kids here who don't seem to want to go to sleep.

While Mr. Moon was singing a lullaby to a young boy I was beginning to doze off a bit too.

That is until a tiny hand gripped my arm, it was Abby?

"Miss Rose? Usually my big sister holds me until I fall asleep. Can you tuck me in"

"uh, I-, don't you think Mr. Moon would be better at this than me?"

"Moon is really nice, but I want you to do it...please"

Awwwwwww, I just can't. I'm sorry Mr. Moon. Don't off me in front of the kids, but just let me have this please.

I picked up the tiny child and cradled her in my arms until we reached the mat area. I gotta put in an order for cots one of these days, those do not look comfy, no wonder so many kids can't sleep.

I held her until she yawned and snuggled into me. How tiny must this child be in order to fit in my arms perfectly?

While having my maternal instinct moment, I feel a gaze brush over me. Looking up, my suspicions are confirmed when Mr. Moon stood only a meter away from me.

"Abby should be on her mat" he spoke so quietly I couldn't hear him at first.

"She said her big sister holds her until she sleeps" I say in the quietest voice I could muster, Abby nor any of the children around us seemed to stir, so I guess I could pass with a soft enough voice.

"So she sought you out?" he spoke, confused.

"she said I looked like her big sister"

"then continue" he said as he silently leapt away. I mean it wasn't like I was going to drop her the second she fell asleep???? What did he expect??????

Not long after, the same low robotic voice returned and counted down.

Mr. Moon looked back as me as he started to rouse the little sleepers, "It was nice to meet you little star"

5...4....3...2....1.

WHAT WAS THAT-

Ohhhhhh, that's right, I'm wearing a little glow in the dark stars. I totally forgot the reason I was almost late! The shirt I've been wearing is almost like a pj, it's got stars and roses and little clouds printed everywhere. I wanted to match the theme, but I totally forgot the stars glow in the dark!

And then lights dimmed on, after a few minutes turned on fully. That's a nice feature, let's your eyes adjust before plunging you into pure darkness, or too bright light. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.8K 884 24
Them, just THEM. anyways heres the plot. You work at the Fazbear Pizzaplex and you have to do a majority of the jobs, such as cleaning some areas, ta...
272 16 13
You sneak into the pizza plex as a joke, all games and fun right? You couldn't be more wrong. Come along and explore feelings of fear, love, and oh s...
11K 257 51
Things haven't been going so well in the pizzaplex.As nobody wants to be the assistant in the Superstar daycare.But then one of the employees finds a...
102K 2.6K 37
You had just lost everything. Your friends, your family, your job, all of it except for your house and life. You were about to end it all when you sa...