The Beauty Of Rose

By yahsss

**DRAFT MOSTLY** FOR FANS OF BRIDGERTON Rose Axel is deformed from the burns she endured from her father. Her... More

W E D
S H A DO W S & S E CR E T S
K I N
F E U D
A R I D E
A B A L L PART 1
A B A L L PART 2
A B A L L PART 3
T H O R N S
S P I E S
T H A N K Y O U
C O U N T R Y S I D E
L E T T E R S
D E V I L - PROMO
D E V I L
FURY
F I R E
T H E G E O R G I A
T H E G E O R G I A 2
T H E G E O R G I A 3
T H E G E O R G I A 4
B E L L E D E LA BALLE
M O O N L I G H T
B R I S
B A N E
M A N O R
P A R L E R
W E D D I N G
W E D D I N G N I G H T
M O R N I N G
C O N T R A C T
B E T R A Y A L
A F T E R
R E V E L A T I O N
P I G
B L O O D
E N D
Discovering the Devil

C A K E

611 22 0
By yahsss

XXVII

"THAT IS HER UNCLE," Matthew said softly. "How do you know him?"

"He wrote a letter here a couple weeks back," Archie responded casually.

Matthew couldn't help feeling annoyed at his step-father's nonchalance. "What did he say?"

"It said he would greatly appreciate it if we would expedite the dissolve of your marriage. Apparently you're a callous man who has caused his niece much heartache."

Matthew tensed at the epithet, particularly because it wasn't  a lie. Rose's uncle was clearly trying to ensure her divorce was successful. That could only mean he stood to gain from it. Probably, financially, Maybe even sadistically. "Why didn't my mother tell me about the letter?" Matthew asked, shifting the conversation topic.

"She didn't read it. Once she saw the name 'Axel' she threw the letter out. It was I who read it."

"And you didn't tell her?"

"She didn't want to know." Archie smiled. "Your mother is very stubborn."

"So she is," Matthew muttered. As if on cue, his wife and mother entered the dining room. Their dresses were covered in mud. "What on earth happened?"

Rose smiled. It looked thin. "We picked flowers."

"These are some of the prettiest petunias I've ever seen," Mary added, depositing in the flowers in a nearby vase. "How were you boys getting on?"

"Splendidly," Matthew said. "Is there a reason you had to speak with the two of us separately?"

Mary shook her head at her son. "You act as if we executed something sneaky on purpose, son."

Matthew shrugged. "Didn't you?" His gaze flitted to his wife. Unfortunately, her countenance betrayed nothing.

"I'm not scared of a young couple," Mary stated breezily. "If I had something pertinent to ask, I wouldn't need tricks." Her eyes settled on the tumbler on the table. "Why are the two of you drinking spirits so early in the morning? Have you no shame?"

Matthew raised his arms in defense. "You've taught me better than that, Mother. It's your husband who enjoys whiskey in the early hours."

Mary walked over to her husband and swatted him on the head. "What is wrong with you? How many times do I have to tell you to stop drinking in the morning?"The lord and lady began to bicker, ignoring the other couple in the room. Matthew looked over at his wife, who looked like she was trying her best to swallow a smile. He got up from the table to join her side.

"It's like we're not even here," Rose whispered.

"I know. If it were me, my mother would've already called me rude ten times over. But now that it's her..." Matthew trailed off.

"It's always different when it's you. When you're the one arguing with your husband or wife..." Rose paused to briefly glance at her husband. "The rest of the world falls away."

"The world doesn't fall away when you argue with the person you love." Matthew recalled their  confrontation when she'd asked him to leave her alone. "It quakes." Matthew watched her eyebrows crease in confusion through her veil. The simple reflex made his heart jump.

"Not all arguments are heart-wrenching. Sometimes it's just...lively conversation. A kind-hearted jab to chest." Rose jutted her chin toward the progressing row. "You've never argued like that with Victoria before?"

"No." Any heated words exchanged between the two of them always exploded into chaos. "Never."

"Hmm." Rose avoided his eye. "Everyone is different."

There wasn't a trace of pity or condescension in her voice. But it didn't prevent Matthew from feeling bristled by her comment.

"I want something like that one day," Rose said quietly. If he hadn't been paying attention, he might've missed it.

"A woman like you deserves more than a husband who must be lectured like a child."

"Don't demean your stepfather. All you men are like children. I'm sure you have some beastly habit worse than Lord Thomas'," Rose chided.

The only beastly habit Matthew could think of was his newfound affection for his wife. "I have no such habits."

"You're a liar."

"I'm am not a liar. The only reason you think that is because you have some beastly habits of your own?"

Rose's eyes connected with his. "Such as?"

Matthew looked at her dark brown orbs, obscured by annoying film. He wanted to rip it off. "Touching people inappropriately. Even when they ask you stop."

Rose didn't answer for a moment. Matthew looked nervously down at her. His reply had been dangerous one, he almost wanted to take it back. "You didn't want me to stop," Rose said slowly. "You loved every second of it."

Heat zapped through Matthew like lightning. The ghost of her kisses singed against his skin. "I asked you to stop," he repeated. His voice had fallen to gravelly depth. "It was inappropriate."

"Maybe, she shrugged, but it's not a habit. I've only ever done it to you."

"What are the two of you whispering about?" Mary asked. Matthew and Rose turned to the direction of their hosts. Mary and Archie were now the ones looking at them. His mother was wearing a knowing grin he knew too well. She arched her eyebrows. "Well?"

"The two of you," Matthew answered silkily. "Arguing in front of your guests is rude."

Mary didn't even look annoyed. "It looked a little more heated than a conversation about the two of us."

"Well it wasn't."

"Hmm." A housemaid entered the dining room and set more and tea and cakes on the table. "Thank you Anne," Mary said. She plucked a powdered treat from the tray and took a bite before immediately wincing. "Anne."

The housemaid looked nervously at her mistress. "Yes?"

"Who made this?"

She bent her head to avoid Mary's gaze. "I did, ma'am. Is it not to your liking?"

"No, it tastes terrible." Mary's eyes narrowed. "And we both know you weren't the one who created this disaster, you only serve the food. Who are you trying to protect?"

"I assure you ma'am—" the housemaid started.

"Don't make me cut your wages," Mary threatened.

The housemaid reddened. "It was Jade, ma'am."

"Well that's that," Lord Thomas cut in. "That's the third time she made a mistake with the food this week. We can't have her anymore."

"No!" Anne exclaimed. She braved a pleading look at her employers. "Jade is one of the best cooks in there! She's just...a little distracted lately."

"With what?" Mary asked patiently.

"She was supposed to get married this week. Only...there was an argument with her parents about the groom. They refuse to pay the dowry because of it. The poor girl is beside herself."

"She should listen to her parents. Young girls always fall in love with vagabonds at that age," Mary remarked.

"The groom in question is a houseboy, ma'am. Tommy Lanks."

"Tommy's a nice boy," Mary mulled.

"He is, ma'am. He's wonderful to her."

Mary looked between her husband and Anne. "Still, my husband is right, this can't stand. Tell her this can't happen again, otherwise I won't have any choice but to relieve her."

The housemaid gave a grateful curtsy. "Yes ma'am."

"That girl won't stop making mistakes until she's married," Rose pointed out.

"She will if she wants to keep her job," Archie said.

"I could pay for it," Rose said suddenly.

Matthew peered at her in surprise. "Why would you do that?"

"A young lady is in love and can't marry because of money. I have money. Why shouldn't I pay for it?"

Matthew was wordless. All three of them stared at her in shock. "Are you sure?" Archie finally asked.

"The dowry of a kitchen maid can't be that expensive. I'm very sure." Rose glanced briefly at her husband. "As my husband, you technically hold the purse strings. You can take it out of my divorce settlement."

"That won't be necessary," Matthew and Mary said in unison. They both looked at each other.

"That won't be necessary," Mary said first. "I'm her employer and you're my daughter-in-law. I should be the one to pay it."

"You don't have to, Mary. I wasn't trying to force you into something," Rose argued.

"No, no." Mary waved her hand. Matthew knew the last thing she wanted to do was participate in affairs of her staff. That, he knew his mother believed, was beneath her. But Mary had principles And, more importantly, she wouldn't let her daughter-in-law show her up. "It's my household, and my servant. That should've been my first thought."

Matthew could feel his wife smiling. "We should call the girl and tell her the good news," Rose suggested brightly.

Mary tinkled her bell to do just that. The same housemaid returned. "Tell Jade I need to see her immediately." Anne's face fell but she did as she was told. Jade returned minutes later with a tear-streaked face.

"I'm so sorry for the cakes, ma'am," she choked out. "It won't happen again. There's no excuse for my mistakes lately. I p-promise..." Mary held up her hand for silence. The kitchen maid quickly shut up.

"Anne told me the cause of your distress, and I must say, it simply won't do." Mary smiled. "Since your parents refuse to pay for your dowry, I'll be happy to do it. You and Tommy will make a happy husband and wife."

Jade's eyes widened in shock. Matthew was very sure she might faint. "I cannot. I couldn't possibly accept. That's a over years worth of wages and I couldn't..."

"It's a gift, Jade," Mary interrupted. Although her tone was cheery, Matthew could hear the waxing impatience. "And I won't take no for an answer. I'll miss your cakes too much."

"This is very kind, ma'am," Jade said. "Very kind. But I could never accept it."

Matthew sensed his mother was minutes away from a scowl or this girl's dismissal. "There are few opportunities in life where you can claim total happiness with no consequences," he chimed in. "If you don't say yes, you'll always regret it." Jade regarded him with tearful eyes. After a breath, she sank to an incredibly low curtsy. Don't fall to your knees, Matthew thought. That would just make his mother more irritated with her decision. The kitchen maid appeared to know her mistress, for her knees never touched the ground. She rose gracefully the next second, her eyes humbly on the ground. "I will be eternally grateful, ma'am."

Mary manufactured another cheery smile. "You can go back to the kitchens now, dear. No more bad cakes."Jade returned to her post, and Mary's smile visibly faded. "I should change out of these clothes. You too, Rose. We look dreadful."

"You're right," Rose agreed.

"And you should accompany your wife to her rooms," Mary said, directing her gaze to her son.

"I'm sure she remembers the way," Matthew said.

"And I'm sure you'll be a gentleman and do as you're told," Mary bit out. Matthew couldn't help but smile. That generous donation had really eaten at her.

Rose quickly took his arm. Let's go before she explodes, the gesture said. The two of them did just that. Once they were out of earshot, they both bubbled in laughter. "I didn't mean to, you know," Rose said after they were finished. "I had every intention of paying for it."

Matthew's heart warmed to know he was married to someone so kind-hearted. Victoria would never do such a thing. His mother had been hard-pressed to do it. But Rose... "I know you did."

"That poor girl better not make another mistake. I feel like she'll invent a reason to get rid of her."

"I'll make sure she doesn't," Rose promised. They'd reached her door now.

"You're not afraid of my mother, are you?" Matthew asked.

"Every wife lives in a degree of fear of her mother-in law." Rose was staring at him, and she must've seen the gleam in his eye because she said, "But I'm also not a wuss. What do you have in mind?"

"Something marvelous."

A/N: I'm so sorry for running behind on my updates!! I'm super excited for the final chapters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 127 12
π‘ͺ𝒂𝒏 𝑰 π’ˆπ’ π’˜π’‰π’†π’“π’† π’šπ’π’– π’ˆπ’? π‘ͺ𝒂𝒏 π’˜π’† π’‚π’π’˜π’‚π’šπ’” 𝒃𝒆 π’•π’‰π’Šπ’” 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒉, π’•π’‚π’Œπ’† π’Žπ’† οΏ½...
1.5M 42.7K 35
FOR FANS OF BRIDGERTON. To save her family's reputation, Isabella must impersonate her twin sister to deceive her sister's husband in a scheme that d...
209K 5.3K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
7K 263 10
Love and Politics | Benedict Bridgerton x Reader ______________________ The regency era of the 19th century is filled with surprises and secrets...an...