Hearts of Stone (BOTW Modern...

By Wolf00Link

Things are looking bleak when Link is forced to return to Castle Town for a new job opportunity, and even ble... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 12

93 6 1
By Wolf00Link

"Do you think I should go with the cobalt, midnight, or baby blue?" Zelda asked, quirking her head as she held three dresses up to the mirror. 

Link glanced up at the choices, shrugging vaguely before returning his attention back to his book, "They all look good to me," he supplied. 

"You're no help," Zelda sighed and peered at the dresses again, eyes sweeping over them. She hummed to herself and walked over to her bed, holding the darkest of the three up next to Link's face, "The midnight really goes nice with your eyes," she murmured, nodding to herself. 

"Am I going to be wearing the dress?" Link asked with a chuckle, turning a page with a small flick of his finger. 

"No," Zelda rolled her eyes and sat down next to him on the soft comforter, tucking her legs underneath herself, "but we do want to look good at the gala. Speaking of which, do you have a suit yet?" she let her head drop onto his shoulder, fingers drumming against his knee. 

"Not yet," he replied nonchalantly, "I'll get one later this week though." 

"We should go there," Zelda murmured, pointing to the pictures on the pages depicting sprawling ruins, piles of rubble now home to some of the rarest plants in Hyrule.

"I'll add it to the list," Link smiled, jotting down the name next to a plethora of others, the paper filling at an impressive rate, "though, I'm not sure we'll be able to see all this in a year," he mumbled under his breath. 

"We might just have to go back," Zelda murmured in reply, warm breath against his cheek as she nudged her nose near to his ear, "I certainly couldn't complain if we extended this little trip either." 

Link grinned wider, turned his head, and placed an obnoxiously loud kiss on her cheek, earning a small giggle from Zelda. He peppered a few more playful pecks across her jawline, intent to then return to his book, but Zelda clearly had other plans. She grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him back in before he could even complain, not that he would anyway. He quite enjoyed the new and increasingly more common feeling of Zelda's soft lips against his own. It felt all too easy to drift away in the blissful feeling, letting her carry him away as she pulled him closer, hands slipping into his hair. It was a surprise to them both when Link pulled away after only a few moments, his brows knitting and his ear turned toward the hall. 

"What is it?" Zelda asked, vaguely out of breath and face still flushed, "is something wrong?" 

"No," Link shook his head, pulling his arms from around her and sliding off the bed, "I just thought I heard someone's voice."  

"It was probably just Twi or Dusk," Zelda insisted, watching with a disappointed expression when he walked to the door. 

"No, no," Link pulled on the handle and stuck his head into the halfway, straining his ears, "It sounded like Time." 

Zelda followed him and set her head against his shoulder, face scrunched as she tried to hear the voice he'd been talking about. It came again only a few seconds later, muffled words and a hearty laugh, both of which Link recognized instantly. He didn't waste another moment, grabbed Zelda's hand, and pulled her to the stairs. 

"I swear that's Time," he told her hurriedly, "why in Hyrule is he here though?" 

Zelda just shrugged, her face bewildered as she followed him down the stairs. The two made it to the main floor, Link dropping her hand as they wandered toward the front hall, the voices growing near. Sure enough, when they rounded the corner a familiar shock of golden hair greeted them. 

"Time!" Link nearly bowled the older man over when he sprinted and threw his arms around him, "when did you get here?!" 

"Hi there Wild," he chuckled and twisted to give him a proper hug, easily scooping him off his feet and popping a few backbones in the process, "just got in this morning." 

He set Link back down, holding him at arm's length, eyes looking him over-or rather eye. He'd gotten a rather nasty injury to the eye when he first worked for Nohansen Industries as a 'glorified treasure hunter'- at least that's what Time had called it. One day a stalfos snuck up on him and managed to land a blow, leaving him with a jagged scar across his right eye and rendering it nearly useless.   

"I-," Link breathed, not entirely sure what to say, "why are you here?" 

He grinned up at his oldest brother, still sporting his shaggy hairstyle and leather jacket. Time had always been the 'cool' older brother- albeit a bit immature- though he'd been the closest thing Link had to a father figure after his own died. As soon as Time had turned eighteen he'd left the orphanage to pursue his life of adventure, visiting as often as he could. Since then he'd kept that lifestyle, never staying in one place too long and moving from job to job, making his visits that much more special. 

"Oh you know," Time shrugged with his usual lopsided grin, "I always get invited to the gala, even though I don't even work there anymore," he slung his arm across Link's shoulder, "you both are welcome, by the way," he smirked at Twi, "I was such a great employee you two got a shoe in for the other companies."  

"I would hardly say that," Dusk responded cooly from her place leaning against the wall. 

"Ah, Zelda," Time moved and caught her up in a big hug, despite her protests or the small frown on her face, "have I ever mentioned that you're my favorite sister-in-law?" 

He grinned and set her down, his eyes roaming and landing on Zelda. She met his gaze nervously, eyes returning to the scar marking his face, hands fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. 

"Now who do we have here," his eyes took on a mischievous glint as he glanced sideways to Link, "this must be Flora, who I've heard so much about." 

Zelda sent an almost pleading glance to Link before she was swept up in a bone-crushing hug, her expression almost pained. Link shot a glare to Twi who was holding Roh and watching the whole ordeal with amusement. There was only one place Time must've been getting his information from because it certainly hadn't been from Link. 

"Welcome to the family," Time finally set Zelda back down and gave her a wink, before clasping his hands together and looking around at the surrounding faces, "who's hungry?" 

With that, he set off for the kitchen, leaving the four other Hylians in the hall to exchange varied looks. Dusk clearly wasn't as amused as her husband, Zelda looked dazed and Link felt both delighted and confused. He shrugged then grinned at Zelda, hurrying after Time who was already in the kitchen, helping himself to the contents of the fridge.  

"You really came back for the gala?" Link asked, sliding onto a stool at the counter, a doubtful gut feeling telling him Twi probably told him to come and meddle. 

"Pretty much," Time shrugged, adding the last touches to a sandwich he made in record time, "though I was curious about this new Zelda," he stuffed the sandwich into his mouth, "had to make sure my baby brother's girlfriend was alright." 

Link stared icily as Time chewed his food with the biggest grin he'd ever seen, "We're only friends," he tried, "I thought Twi would have told you that." 

"He did," Time replied after he swallowed, "I believed him until you guys walked in." 

"That doesn't even make sense," Link scoffed, grabbing the cheese his brother hadn't used. 

"I know the look," Time shrugged, "I can't believe you actually have Twi fooled though." 

Link glanced over his shoulder to make sure said someone wouldn't walk in, "Honestly," he muttered with a chuckle when the coast was clear, "neither can I."   

The two exchanged giddy grins. Link had to admit he was glad not to keep it from Time. Unlike Twi, he wasn't exactly the pushy type and he knew how to keep a secret. Plus there was the added bonus of watching Twi becoming increasingly more irritated when Link and Zelda simply acted neutral towards each other when in his presence. 

"So," Link started, picking up some lunch meat and nibbling at it, "what have you been up to recently." It was a genuine question, not a poor attempt at small talk. With Time, it was always guaranteed to be an interesting story. 

"Well-," Time started between mouthfuls. 

His phone buzzed in his pocket and he held up a finger to pause the conversation, licking off his fingers as he dug into his pocket. He grabbed his phone and set it on the counter, trying to hide a smile as his eyes skimmed over something. 

Link watched him carefully, the pieces falling into place, "Who's that?" he asked, already leaning over to glance at the phone. 

"None of your business, that's who," Time shot back, snatching the device despite the mayo on his hands and taking another bite. 

Link smirked, waggling his eyebrows teasingly, "You actually only came back so you could see Sheik at the gala, didn't you," he teased, having seen the name on his phone. 

"I sheed it wes non yor bishnesh" Time responded, his mouth full of sandwich, his face red and wearing a scowl." 

Link was prepared to continue his teasing, but Zelda walked in and took a seat next to him, still eyeing Time almost suspiciously, "Did I hear right?" she asked softly, glancing towards the Hylian once again stuffing his mouth full, "you know Sheik?" 

The two nodded, "She would visit the orphanage with her mom," Link answered, seeing that Time's mouth was still full, "and Time's had a crush on her since he was like ten," he added with a snicker. 

"As if," Time scoffed in response, showering Link in breadcrumbs, "at least I didn't cry whenever I saw her because I thought she would steal my teeth." 

Zelda glanced between them, eyebrow raised, "Excuse me, what?" 

Link tugged at his bangs, face growing extremely hot, "It's a long story," he mumbled, content to now drop the conversation surrounding Sheik, "so uh, Time, you were saying? About what you've been up to." 

Time stuffed the rest of the sandwich into his mouth, shrugging before speaking, "Some guy offered me a job overseas. Helped him find some long-lost family heirloom or whatnot. Just the usual really." 

Zelda eyed him curiously, fidgeting with her earring as she thought, "You wouldn't happen to be the Link who found Termina and all those ancient masks...would you?" 

Link saw Time beam as he brushed off his hands, "Why yes, I am," he said politely. 

Zelda looked awestruck, her mouth gaped open, "Really?" she breathed, "What was it like? Did you- I..wow." 

Time was still smiling as he stuffed his fixings back into the fridge, his mouth clamped shut as Zelda mumbled something under her breath. 

"He won't even tell me and Twi much about it," Link nudged her with his elbow, "says we wouldn't believe half the stuff that happened even if he told us."

"And you wouldn't," Time shot back, blowing a strand of hair from his eyes, "even I don't believe it sometimes," he mumbled, frowning.  

Zelda glanced at Link, "You really have quite the successful family," she murmured, eyes flicking between the two, "Time is basically a legend within Nohansen Industries, and Twi's work with the Twili and Moblins for Hyrule United is some of the best out there," she smiled softly and nudged Link back, "and of course Mr. star archeologist over here." 

Time hummed in agreement and leaned against the counter and smirked at Link, clearly amused when his face flushed red. 

"I think I'll go now," he stood up straight, adjusting his back with a loud crack, "I have some souvenirs for the kiddies and about a pound of spicy chocolate for Twi," he winked at Link, "the stuff that makes him cry, ya know." 

Zelda and Link both made a move to get up, but Time stopped them with the raise of his hand. 

"No, no, you two take some time, go have fun. I can distract Twi and Zelda for a while," he ruffled Link's hair and fixed Zelda with a stern gaze, "just make sure you have him home by ten, alright," he wrapped his arms around Link for one last slightly painful hug. 

"Ahg, Time," Link choked, air refusing to enter his lungs as he fought against him, "let go." 

"But it's been so long since I've gotten to see my little baby boy," he teased, planting a loud and wet kiss on Link's cheek, "I've just missed you so much." 

Zelda tried to suppress a giggle as Link struggled in the larger man's arms, reluctantly giving up and going limp, glaring over his arm. After another hair ruffle, Time let go shaking his head and mumbling something about needing to 'toughen him up'. He waved casually and left them alone in the kitchen, his voice ringing through the house as he called for Roh and Zara, promising them all sorts of sweets and goodies.       

"Well, he seems nice," Zelda grinned as Link attempted to fix his hair, "certainly a lively soul." 

"And an annoying one," Link chuckled, but in all honestly he wouldn't have it any other way. 

"So," Zelda started, leaning in and scooping up his hand, "do you really think he could keep everyone occupied for a while." 

Link smiled fondly, "No doubt about it." 

Zelda's smile widened and she gently brushed his bangs from his eyes, " Should we take him up on his offer then?" 

Link only nodded, already pulling Zelda with him and out into the hall, both barely containing their smiles. Life was certainly bound to be more eventful now that Time was in town, but that also came with its perks. It had been far too long since their whole 'family' had been together that Link had nearly forgotten how peaceful it felt, despite the fact that something was bound to either blow-up, shatter, or get stolen when all three of them were together. Until that point, Link was simply going to enjoy the extra time being bought for them.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 2.1K 31
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
137K 559 36
PLEASE NO HATE! U READ THE TITLE IF U DONT WANNA READ DONT READ!
633K 30.2K 54
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
952K 16.3K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...