The Woman at The End of The W...

By VRLove7

Vanessa Taylor, a sassy blue haired, tattooed cosmetologist with a mouth of a sailor was born and raised in O... More

authors note
prologue.
new message.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twentyone.
twentytwo.
twentythree.
twentyfour.
twentyfive.
twentysix.
twentyseven.
twentyeight.
twentynine.
thirty.
thirtyone.
intermission.
thirtythree.
thirtyfour.
thirtyfive.
thirtysix.
thirtyseven.
thirtyeight.
thirtynine.
forty.
fortyone.
fortytwo.
fortythree.
fortyfour.
fortyfive.
fortysix.
fortyseven.
fortyeight.
fortynine.
fifty.
fiftyone.
fiftytwo.
fiftythree.
fiftyfour.
fiftyfive.
fiftysix.
fiftyseven.
fiftyeight.
fiftynine.
sixty.
sixtyone.
sixtytwo.
sixtythree.
sixtyfour.
intermission 2.0
sixtyfive.
sixtysix.
sixtyseven.
sixtyeight.
sixtynine.
seventy.
seventyone.
seventytwo.
seventythree.
seventyfour.
seventyfive.
seventysix.
seventyseven.
seventyeight.
seventynine.
eighty.
eightyone.
eightytwo.
eightythree
eightyfour.
eightyfive.
eightysix.
eightyseven.
eightyeight.
eightynine.
ninety.
ninetyone.
ninetytwo.
ninetythree.
ninetyfour.
ninetyfive.
ninetysix.
ninetyseven.
ninetyeight.
ninetynine.
intermission 3.0
onehundred.
onehundredone.
onehundredtwo.
onehundredthree.
onehundredfour.
onehundredfive.
onehundredsix.
onehundredseven.
onehundredeight.
onehundrednine.

thirtytwo.

1.6K 39 9
By VRLove7

Daryl gently rubs my arms, "Vanessa, I'm leavin' in a bit." He mumbles. I groan, rolling over. I glance up, seeing him leaning over the bed, peering down at me. He's dressed in his regular button up shirt, jeans, and vest. My heart skips a beat when I remember the dynamics between us has changed. "I'll be back as soon as I can," he promises. For just a second, fear slices into my soul, I bring my hands up to cover my face. I take a moment to deep breathe through the panic.  The last time he made a promise like this, he didn't follow it through. "Don't go there, Blue. Now that I have ya, I ain't lettin' ya go without a fight."

"Sometimes I hate how well you know me." I yawn.

Last night, he had moved the stuff of his that he had discovered in my extra bedroom into mine. Though, I guess that makes it our room. If we didn't already share a cell before this, I would be uncomfortable. I realize, relationships might move differently at the end of the world compared to what they normally would. He was already planning on living in my home, anyway.

I prop myself up with my arm, the blanket falls from around my shoulders, exposing Kelly's oversized shirt. "Hey, Dare. I have a question." He bites his lips curiously as he sits on the edge of our bed. "You know, I learned a little about patching people up under Hershel and Kelly's been training me in all things violent. Can you teach me to how to track and live off the land? Just in case this all falls apart."

He nods. "Of course. I figured it was only a matter of time before ya asked." I watch as he frowns.

I shake my head. "I just thought the prison was going to last longer than it did, that's why I didn't ask before. Things got away from me." I didn't expect to be stranded and separated.

"We'll start when I get back." He presses a small kiss to my lips before he walks out the bedroom. Deciding to take a page out of the Beth's book, I choose not to say goodbye. I believe he will come back home. I need to believe it.

I groan, rubbing my face. I peer around my room as I decide it's time to start my day. Footsteps trekking up the stairs alerts me that someone is inside my home. Grumbling, I realize I'm stranded without my weapons. Thankfully Kelly has spent a lot of time showing me different scenarios with hand-to-hand combat.

I silently stalk out of bed, positioning myself flat against the wall next to the doorway. Once the shadow reaches my bed indicating that whoever it is, is lurking in the doorway. I kick their legs out from the under them. I place my foot against their throat the second their back meets the floor.

"Holy shit! Glenn!" I breathe out, realizing my mistake.

"Daryl said you were still in bed." I offer my hand, helping him stand. "I forgot to let you know I was here. I'm sorry. Good to know you're still always ready for a fight." He smirks.

"What the fuck are you doing here this early?" I cross my arms, watching him.

"Eugene is working on something I don't quite understand that might help with the community. He needs something so, I'm going on a run with Aiden, Nicholas, Noah and Tara. Maybe Eugene. I need you to come with me."

I run a hand through my hair, "you don't trust two out of the five." It was hardly a few days ago when he and Aiden got into a heated argument that ended in my taking down Aiden while Daryl laid into Nicholas physically for assaulting me.

He nods. "Sort of. Eugene can't kill the walkers. I hate to say it but he's a coward. I know how you work. I know you'd have my back."

"Okay, let me get ready, and talk to Wren. I'll meet you in an hour."

After informing Wren that the salon will be closed for the day, I head off, in search of Glenn and company. I traded in Kelly's shirt and a pair of shorts for my leather pants, knee high boots, long sleeve black top, billowing cardigan, with my weapon holsters in place around my waist and across my back. The red scarf is secure around my neck. My hair hangs loose as it would any other day. Rick once mentioned I remind him of a feminine version of Death in my new walker ass kicking outfit. Of course, I took it as a compliment. Who wouldn't?

I make a small pit stop over at Olivia's, taking my weapons back into my possession. She doesn't say much of anything as I return them to their rightful holding spots. I share my goodbyes. Barely two minutes later, I spot the white box van being filled with possible needs and necessities for our trip. My eyes flick to Noah and Eugene, who is refusing a gun from the darker man.

"Oh, no, thank you." Eugene shakes his head, looking at the gun like it has somehow offended him and his ancestors.

"Just take it." Nicholas scoffs.

"Come on, you got to protect yourself." Noah pleads.

"Not if I don't go." The man with the mullet refuses.

I smirk, "from my understanding, he's going to depend on us to keep his ass alive anyway." Eugene throws a scowl in my direction. "Tell me I'm wrong, mullet man."

Aiden stalks out of the garage, unamused by what he's hearing. "We're not driving all that way so we can just drive back with the wrong shit."

"It's a dozen of these." Eugene holds something up for all of us to see and examine. "They are consistent in appearance across manufacturers. The shit will be right. I will install said shit. Then the grid will be fully operational again."

I roll my eyes, taking a box out of Maggie's hand. I spend the next few minutes helping load the van, getting it ready for the run.

"Vanessa, come over here, please." Deana calls over. I peer over my shoulder, seeing Aiden glare at me as he walks away from his parents. Curious, I stalk over to her, my heels clacking with every step I take. "You're going with them." It was more of a statement then a question.

"When someone in my family thinks they need my help, I oblige." I shrug. "Jesse worked two days in a row and there wasn't anything on the books, so I shut the salon down for the day."

"Your family comes first then."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Thank you. I know I have you working in the salon, but from what I heard, you're also helpful on runs. I feel better knowing you and Glenn are going together."

Without knowing what to say, I spin on my heels. Maggie grabs my arm, pulling me close. "Take care of Glenn and yourself. Please. Come back to Daryl and I." She whispers into my ear.

"You know, I will." I smile at the woman I consider my sister.

"Daylight's burning. Let's go." Aiden announces, jumping into the front seat of the vehicle.

Glenn exchanges some parting words with Deana before getting into the back of the van. I follow him in, closing the door behind me. Aiden starts the car; loud booming dubstep style of music begins to wash over us. I groan, putting my head between my knees. This is annoying.

"Great, another mix." Noah whines.

"Helps draw them away." Glenn offers. "Hey Ness." I pick my head up, looking over at the Korean. I notice Noah and Tara are locked in their own discussion while Eugene watches the four of us in front of him. "So, you and Daryl?" I cock my head at him, baffled, before it dawns on me. "Like, together as a couple?" He specifies his question.

I feel heat rush to my face. "Yeah."

A huge grin breaks out along his face. "Finally! He did seem happy this morning. You do, too." His eyes flick to the rest of our group. "I want you to stay with Tara and Eugene if we get separated. If they find themselves in a rut, it'll help level the playing field since he can't kill the walkers."

"You got it."

I open the back door of the van, jumping out while the others file out behind me. Aiden stops at my side, watching me wearily. I guess, someone isn't comfortable having me here in his company. I shrug, it's no skin off my nose. I'm here because I was asked to be here. Glenn wanted someone he trusts to have his back when he's unsure of those who find themselves in our presence.

I'm relieved to be on a run with Glenn. I was only able to escape those gates twice; for provisions for the salon and to bring everyone back to the community. I've been itching to get out and kick some dead motherfuckers' ass. I hate sitting on the sidelines, pretending like everything is all daisies and sunshine.

Tara's voice brings my attention to the building in front of us. "That's it there?"

Aiden nods, "that's the warehouse. Looks like that door is our fastest way in and out."

"We should know all the exits first. So, there's a plan if things go south." Glenn disagrees.

"Glenn's right. We need the sweep the perimeter before we come up with a solid plan in case shit hits the fan." I pull down my hood, looking at the scene in its entirety.

"Already got one. It's called going out the front." Nicholas shakes his head. I scoff, he throws a glare. Fucking idiot.

"Noah, heads up." Tara points out the walker snarling, heading in our direction.

"I got it. I've been dying to have a little fun." I reach back, dragging one sword out, sauntering up to the corpse. "Hey ugly, you hungry?" I taunt, motioning that dinner is served. Smirking as it lunges, I bring my sword down, locking its forehead on the blade. The sound of its foreboding groans ends. I bring my leg up, kicking it off. For good measure, my heel stomps the walkers face into oblivion. "Awe, baby, you're dirty." I fling the blood off before returning my sword to its sheath.

"You're scary." Aiden's wide eyes find me. "Glenn's right, we should do a perimeter check. Know our exits just in case."

"She is, that's why I asked her to come. She's good on runs." His brown eyes find Nicholas. "Trust me; you want her on your team, instead of being against you." Glenn smiles at his discomfort, patting me on the back before walking off with Noah.

I pull out both swords, letting them hang at my sides. "Tara. Eugene, you're with me. Let's go." I bark. Tara nods, following me in the opposite direction of our companions. It only takes her a few seconds to reach my side, walking in tandem with me.

"C'mon Eugene!" Tara calls over her shoulder.

"You know he's scared of me." I whisper, keeping my eyes trained on the world around us.

"Yeah, I know."

"So, you're aware, I'm on record as stating that I should not be here. You well know that I'm not combat ready or even for that matter combat inclined." Eugene shouts after us.

"You don't say." I grumble.

"You never are till you are. But you got to start pulling your weight. You know, I did. Vanessa clearly is." Tara gently expresses.

"Yeah, but I've also been with Rick and company for a long time before we got separated."

"All things being equal, I do believe my weight's been pulled. I got you all to DC, which, in this man's opinion, is damn near nirvana by current standards." Eugene continues spewing his bullshit.

"Wait, didn't you lie to get you guys here?" I whirl on him, pointing my finger accusingly at him. He sputters at my sudden attention. "Yeah, Old Abe filled in me. They got you here. You were deadweight. Your highness." I return to the task at hand, keeping my eyes on the world around us.

"Right. Except you didn't get us here. We got you here." Tara argues.

"But were it not for me and my mention of this city's potential for home and hearth, not a one of you would have had the vision to come here, let alone the cojones to travail such a fraught and punishing pilgrimage. And that, sister, is a fact. That's as cold and hard as they come."

Growing tired of listening to this shitshow, I mumble, "Someone contact Area 51. I think they might be missing one of their aliens. God, you're really that much of a little bitch?" Tara chuckles at my words.

"Yes, I am. I told her I was." He gestures to Tara.

I scoff, eyes finally landing on Glenn, indicating that step one is done. He motions for me to run ahead, meeting him at the door. He nods, as I open it, banging along the door and wall.

"Give it another second. It's a big place." Glenn holds a hand up, listening. "There could be some inside."

"So let's say they are. Let's move. Let's be safe." Aiden's words ring with false confidence.

Glenn shuts the door, leaving us surrounded in the dark. "All right. Okay, let's move." He hands over a flashlight. I turn it on, stalking next to him before heading down an aisle alone.

I crouch, listening to faint snarls, "they are stuck behind something." I whisper. My eyes slowly size up the building around me. "Anywhere."

"How do you know?" Aiden questions, still unsure about my crashing their little party.

"She doesn't. I do think she's right. But they aren't here. All right. Hey, let's go. Eyes up." Glenn orders.

I meet the others at the end of the aisle as we silently round a corner. I smirk, seeing the walkers trapped behind a fence. Aiden turns his attention on me at the sight before us. Behind him, I watch Eugene and Tara stalk down a separate aisle. I quietly follow them, the flashlight in one hand and my sword in the other, keeping an eye on their back.

"This one here." Eugene stops, pointing at a box. I put my back to them, looking for any possible attacks from the dead or live. My eyes land on a walker in army fatigues; it stumbles upon Aiden. I groan in annoyance as he takes a few shots at it before I realize we are all fucked.

"Eugene! Get down!" I have a split second to drag him down as the walker explodes, shielding his body with my own. He brings his hands up, blocking my face from the flying dust and debris. "How the hell are they in charge of runs? Idiots." I spit. "Fucking spoiled brat. You're going to get us fucking killed."

I stand, I spot Tara on the ground. Fuck. The snarls of the walkers have me barreling down the aisle cutting down the dead that escaped from their cage before they can reach us. Glenn's frantic voice brings my attention back to Eugene, he's struggling to take one down while another is creeping behind him. Swearing, I pull my gun out, realizing I won't make it in time, aiming for the one corpse closest to the man with the mullet. Glenn takes down the Eugene is struggling with.

"Get to that office." Glenn orders.

Noah reaches for Tara, "I'll get Tara. Go!"

I take up the rear as we all rush into the office that is located a few feet from where Aiden is laying against a wall with a pipe through his chest. I wince at the sight. This is going to be bad once we get back to Alexandria. I close the door behind us. I stalk up, standing next to Eugene as he panics, glancing down at Tara. I rub his shoulder as I indicate that I'd appreciate if he moves over, so I can look over our friend. Grateful I had asked Hershel for some medical training.

"How's she doing?" Glenn questions.

"She has head trauma. She's losing blood fast." I offer, my hand moves her head around, allowing me to get a better look. "Fuck Aiden and his smart ideas. Who the fuck taught him to do something so reckless cause I want to have a few words." I scowl.

Noah's eyes watch me work. "How do we stop it?"

Nicholas peers over at us after watching his friend on the outside. "Med kit was in Aiden's pack. It got blown to hell."

"Of course, it did. Does anyone have any other bright ideas?" I slam my fist down on the table, glaring at him. "No one? Awesome. Cause we are fucking losing her."

Glenn winces at my tone. "There's another one in the van."

"Sorry." I grumble. My anger is getting the best of me. I need reign it in before I do something as reckless as our fallen friend.

"We need to get her there." Eugene urges.

Glenn nods. "All right, we'll get her there."

Aiden's faint voice bounces around us. "Help! Somebody!"

"Oh, Jesus." Nicholas grows pale. I cock my head at him. Did he even check for a fucking pulse?

"He's alive?" Glenn walks over to the window, watching Aiden struggle.

"I checked him. I-- I thought-- We've got to get him."

"Sure you did, Nick. Slimy little fucking roach." I mutter. "Glenn, you go with him. Noah, you too."

Glenn spins around, facing me. "Are you sure?"

"Go, save him. She'd do it. I know she would. I'll stay with her. I'll keep her safe, I assure you. I will." Eugene straightens up.

"I'll stay with them." I promise the man I've known for a long time now. "We got it handled here."

Glenn, realizing they are in great hands, begins to bark orders; I hang my head waiting for them to get the show on the road. I hate not being in the thick of it, but these two people need me more than Glenn does. I just hope this doesn't come and bite me in the ass.

I watch the window from my position across the room. Once Glenn reaches Aiden, I turn my attention to Eugene. "If you carry her, I can lead you to the van."

Eugene nods, his twisted face looks down at Tara. "I take no responsibility for this. I told you what I was. You should've listened. All of you, you should've listened." He gathers her in his arms, tossing her over his shoulder.

I quietly open the door, motioning to him that it's clear. A walker lunges at him, I make a move to take it down. He stops me, informing me that he's got it. I stand back, waiting. After three shots, it's down. A second corpse stumbles into his path; he continues to cut it down.

"Good job, Eugene. Let's do this together. Let's save her." I offer him some hope filled words. "You take right flank, I'll take left."

We work together for a few minutes until we break through the door, making a beeline to the van. I open the back door, allowing Eugene to set her in. He stops me from jumping in and tending to her. "I got it." I agree, standing at the door, keeping my eye out for possible threats. Once he is down, he gets into the driver's seat while I take the passenger.

"If not for you, my proverbial goose would have inevitably been thoroughly cooked to perfection, if not a little well done." Eugene offers as he starts the car without looking at me.

"Listen, your family. I might not have been there when you joined the group, but if Rick says your family, that's what you are. I'll protect that. I know you had some reservations about me since I left a great first impression, but as long as you are with us, you are under my protection. I won't hesitate to kill or fatally maim any type of threat that comes knocking on our door."

"Well... if that is where your inclinations truly lie despite our initial tensions in crossing paths,  then it would only be logical for me to extend a similar type of sentiment in your direction... though seeing as I am not quite so inclined to physical altercations, as it were, I will instead gladly offer you my likewise assistance in any intellectual pursuits, quandaries or situations that would otherwise be classified as 'in a pickle'. As you know, that happens to be more within my metaphorical wheelhouse... please do not take offense to the fact that I cannot guarantee my participation in any given altercation on a combative level, but as a tactician and resident shining intellect, my skills are more or less at the disposal of our continuing mutual benefit."

I chuckle, "okay, Eugene. Glad we are on the same page."

He maneuvers the van to the front door, seeing Glenn, Noah, and Nicholas trapped in a small hoard of the dead. He begins to lay on the horn, bringing their attention to us. I laugh, enjoying this new side of Eugene. I roll down the window, placing my torso out the small hole, shooting down the walkers that follow us.

With the mission at hand over and done with, we sit in silence, waiting for the others to catch up. I fiddle anxiously with my fingers. Until Nicholas swings open the door to Eugene's side dragging him out. Swearing, I jump out after him.

"Either you come back with me, or you stay here, and you die with your friends. Those are your choices." He threatens.

I grab the slimy worm by his shirt, trying to pull him off when he elbows me in the nose followed by a blow to the side of my face. "Fuck, you cock sucking waste of flesh and bones." A second later, he's throwing Eugene on the ground, making a choice, I stumble over to Eugene, making sure he's okay.

Nicholas crawls into the driver's seat, but Glenn seemingly appears out of thin air tossing him out, punching him in the face. I glance around, noticing Noah is nowhere to be seen. Fuck, we got two casualties and one needing medical attention.

I drove us back; Glenn filled us in. I tighten my grip on the wheel, knuckles turning white, keeping my cool until we break through the gates. The tension was thick until we got back to Alexandria.

I turn off the van, stalking out, walking around to the back as Glenn shouts for medical attention for Tara. I drop each of my weapons with every step I take. I know I'll kill him if I don't strip myself of my pointy, deadly possessions. I throw open the door, dragging Nicholas out as he's beginning to stir.

"C'mon asshole!" I bark. Once his back hits the pavement. "Because of you, Beth died for fucking nothing." I straddle him, punching him in the face over and over as his blood begins to coat my hands. "Your ugly ass got the drop on me twice, killed our friend, Deana lost her son because of your cowardice." I straighten up, pulling him with me. I slam him against the side of the van. "How many others lives have you fucking destroyed because you're too much of a pussy to fight for people you are supposed to fucking fight with?" I punch him again, not caring that I could be killing him with my hands. "You put my family in danger!" I scream.

Hands try to pull at me, but I have my feet firmly grounded. I'm not budging. "Vanessa, enough." Rick's voice meets my ears. I ignore him, as I'm seeing red.

"I don't care! He's nothing." I spit. "Noah is dead because of him. He wanted to leave Aiden behind! Couldn't even be bothered to check on him! He shouldn't be allowed to take runs with other people!"

An arm wraps around my waist, pulling me away from the worm, throwing me over his shoulders. I see red hair in the corner of my eye. I pound on his back. "Put me down you big dumb ugly motherfucker. He's why Noah and Aiden fucking died. Eye for a fucking eye, you slimy little roach!" I zero in on a wide-eyed Nicholas, screaming.

"Keep talking dirty to me, Daryl might get jealous." Abraham teases. "Are you hitting me? I can barely feel it, come on, fuck me up, I thought you were a badass! You need to calm the hell down. I'm taking you somewhere to cool off."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 4.7K 72
" Children shouldn't play with guns." " Who said I was playing ?" Maya Rosewood was twelve years old when the turn happen. Dead rose to eat the livi...
4.8K 140 31
When Rossary decided to move away from home and to Atlanta, Georgia, she never once thought the world would end. Along with her friend, Matthew, Ross...
312K 9.2K 104
[seasons 4 - 11 ] STRANGERS TO FAMILY, 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙥 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙫𝙞𝙫𝙤𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙜𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙬𝙖�...
7K 137 50
after a fight one night your life fall apart, he said you weren't good enough. Year after that night you were watching the news and the shit was hit...