The Taste of Home

Від sandydragon1

Goat sucker. Overgrown lizard. Monster. Miguel is all too familiar with the many names humans have for chupac... Більше

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Fan Art!

Chapter 39

475 99 375
Від sandydragon1

Humid air pressed on Miguel as he wandered down the sidewalk. Most humans were either asleep or visiting bars at this hour, with The Crimson Goat's staff usually among the latter. They'd be at The Iron Cactus by now, bantering over baskets full of wings and, in a few cases, bottles of beer.

He wasn't with them tonight. He was alone, by his own choice this time.

How could Alejandro say such things? He'd never been one to sit back and tolerate the rift between humans and chupacabras before. What had happened to the man who had always stood up for what was right no matter how uncomfortable the situation was?

Miguel had happened.

With so many reasons to worry about Miguel all the time, perhaps Alejandro didn't have the energy to do the same for other chupacabras. Or maybe Miguel was only the exception, not the rule. Alejandro had always stood up for him, but had he ever done anything for other chupacabras outside of the job he was so willing to cast aside if it meant Miguel would be safe?

Miguel tilted his head toward the stars and growled, earning glares from the pedestrians who crossed the dimly lit street to avoid him. That couldn't be right. His Moonbeam wasn't like that.

Was he?

The stars held no answers for him. As bright as they were, they were as distant as always.

The footsteps rapidly approaching behind him were far less so.

Miguel yelped as a thick-fingered hand grabbed his shoulder.

"It's just me!" Ralph loosened his grip. "Yeesh, what's got you so stiff-spined? I've been trying to get your attention, but it was like talking to a sack of potatoes."

"I've had a lot on my mind," Miguel said with a shaky laugh. He forced his spines to lay flat as he bowed his head. "I already know I was a terrible partner tonight. You don't need to tell me."

"What, that little spat?" Ralph snorted. "That was nothing. I don't expect you and Alejandro to be all hugs and cuddles all the time, despite how hard it is for you to keep your hands off each other."

Miguel stared at his feet, his claws scraping against the pavement. If it wasn't a big deal, then why did he feel like he was walking around with only half a heart? What would he do if he couldn't make Alejandro understand how much the restaurant and everything it represented meant to him?

He didn't want to think about it.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" Miguel asked. "Shouldn't you be at The Iron Cactus?"

"Nah, told everybody I have too much of a headache to bother with that tonight. Besides, I've gotta show you something."

"With a headache?"

Ralph sighed. "If you keep being dense, yes. It's called lying. Now stop asking so many questions and come get in my car. We've got a bit of a drive ahead of us."

While Alejandro's car was perfectly pristine other than the claw marks Miguel had accidentally left in his seat, Ralph's was an utter mess. He had to sweep a heap of crumpled-up fast food wrappers onto the floor just so Miguel could sit, and the stench of caked-on grease clung to every crevice. "I'll throw 'em out later," Ralph said with a wave of his hand as Miguel bent to grab the trash. "Now, buckle up. We don't have all night."

Heavy metal music blared through the speakers the moment Ralph turned on the ignition. Miguel winced as the whole car trembled with the vibrations. "Can we at least turn that down?"

"What, is Black Sabbath too good for you?" Ralph lowered the volume just enough for Miguel not to feel like his bones were trying to shake themselves out of his skin before zooming down the road.

San Antonio's crowded skyline soon gave way to a vast emptiness as Ralph drove them out into the countryside. For a long while, they were met with nothing but pastures dotted with the occasional cow.

Then towering metal loops came into view.

The closest thing Miguel had ever seen to an amusement park was Zest Fest's rides. They'd been impressive at the time with their neon signage and ecstatically screaming riders, a surefire recipe for excitement and sensory overload.

Those were nothing compared to the roller coasters spiraling before him.

Great spines of metal twisted through the sky. Rust crusted the rides' remains, leaving only the long-forgotten litter of spare change and broken sunglasses that had been violently separated from their owners.

A single chupacabra armed with a crowbar stood outside the amusement park's gates. Most territory guards were among the bulkiest females in their pack, working as a team to escort visitors onto the pack's territory and chase off intruders. This lone male had no backup save the long piece of metal in his hand, yet his spines bristled as if he had his entire pack supporting him.

Ralph stopped the engine.

"We should probably head back," Miguel said, his spines digging into his seat as he eyed the territory guard. With muscles like those, he could crush the two of them like a pair of bad eggs. One good swing from that crowbar, and they'd join the debris littering the pavement. "I don't think they want anyone so close to their territory."

Ralph rolled his eyes. "Relax, we should be fine."

"Should?" Miguel squeaked. Why in the stars' name had Ralph brought them here?

Ralph got out of the car with his arms spread wide.

The territory guard bared his fangs and cast aside his crowbar. As the muscular male entered a hunter's crouch, Miguel pushed against the car door. Locked. He swore under his breath, fumbling to undo his seatbelt with trembling claws as he mentally prepared himself to crawl out the driver's side. Ralph could best Miguel in a fight any day, but he'd be damned if he let him fight another chupacabra alone.

He wasn't fast enough.

The territory guard tackled Ralph, wrapping his arms around him. Ralph slapped his back, but the chupacabra didn't flinch.

Instead, he started laughing.

"Long time no smell!" The territory guard gave Ralph an exaggerated sniff before wafting his hand in front of his face. Now that he was so close, Miguel could see bits of metal jutting out from his snout. "Still seeing that girl of yours? Her stink's all over you."

"Nah, we broke up. She got pissy when I told her I wouldn't ditch The Crimson Goat." Ralph shrugged. "Sucks, but I'll be okay."

"Her loss." Ralph miraculously didn't wince as a smack on the back nearly knocked him over. "Guess she doesn't know prime mate material when she sees it."

"Quit trying to kiss my ass, Ignacio. You still owe me twenty bucks!"

Ignacio put a hand to his chest in mock offense. "First time I see you in weeks, and you're asking for money?"

"Maybe one of these days you'll actually have it," Ralph said with a smirk.

"You're lucky I don't charge your friend an entry fee." Miguel sat bolt upright as Ignacio approached his side of the car, tapping on the window with a claw. "Your little friend. Please tell me he's not planning to go into the ring tonight."

Ralph roared with laughter. "Fuck no! We're just here to watch."

Ignacio groaned. "You're not fighting either?"

"Sorry, but we've got big stuff planned at The Crimson Goat. Can't cook my ass off if I get it beat, can I?" An unfamiliar hesitancy entered Ralph's voice. "Could you get me an audience with Valentina tonight?"

Miguel let out a squeak that was half bewildered and half anxious. He'd never met Creosote Pack's leader, but he'd heard enough about her from Isabella to know she was as fierce as she was unorthodox. Regardless of how Ralph knew her, there was no telling how she'd treat a packless male.

"I don't suppose you brought any bacon, did you?" Ignacio feigned disinterest as he examined his claws, but his twitching smile betrayed his bluff. "I'll see what I can do, but you might have to wait a while."

Ralph's shoulders relaxed. "Thanks. I owe you one."

With some not-so-gentle coaxing from Ralph and laughing reassurances from Ignacio, Miguel left the car and entered Creosote Pack's territory.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

Wake of the Dead | One Від Lupine

Наукова фантастика

27.9K 1.5K 36
#1 in LGBT 9/23/21, #1 in Horror 9/23/21, #2 in BxB 9/23/21, #1 in ZombieApocalypse 9/23/21 Killian's eyes flickered up to Jasper. In the afternoon...
SUGAR (bxb) Від Anna Nikol

Романтика

1.1M 50.1K 66
This story is complete ✅ Casey is a nerd, but the charming, cute type. He evades college parties like the plague. Who knew he would accidentally jump...
57.4K 3.1K 32
ROMANCE Clark, an eclectic bookstore owner, is choosing to take up some night classes to brush up on his Spanish in the hope it will broaden his hori...
5.3M 175K 69
Black Moon Series Book #1 Warning: Mature content, graphic language, gay, polyamorous French food is my healthy pleasure. Sex is my stress-relief ple...