Heirs Unapparant | A Miraculo...

By EveryWhichWayzz

"It's nice to meet you too. Now, run for your life!" ༒︎༒︎༒︎ Nicholas Lahiffe... More

Preface
Prologue: A Line in the Sand (خط في الرمال)
♕︎ Part 1 ♕︎
Chapter 1: Legends and Lore (الأساطير والمعتقدات)
Chapter 2: All That Glitters (كل ذلك البريق)
Chapter 3: Portent Fate (مصير نذير)
Chapter 4: Out of the Frying Pan (من المقلاة)
Chapter 5: Sentry Mounting (تصاعد الحراسة)
Chapter 6: Changing of the Guard (تغيير الحرس)
Chapter 7: The Bird and the Beast (الطائر والوحش)
Chapter 8: Razor's Edge (حافة الحلاقة)
Chapter 9: First Encounters (اللقاءات الأولى)
Chapter 10: Cloak and Daggers (عباءة وخناجر)
Chapter 11: Premonition of Fate (هاجس القدر)
Chapter 12: Catch Twenty-Two (قبض على اثنين وعشرين)
Chapter 13: Skyfall (سقوط السماء)
Chapter 14: A Cry to the Night (صرخة إلى الليل)
Chapter 15: Birds Of a Feather (الطيور على أشكالها)
Chapter 16: Writing On the Wall (الكتابة على الجدران)
♕︎ Part 2 ♕︎
Chapter 18: By the Bell (بالجرس)
Chapter 19: Drawing to the Bitter (الرسم على المر)
Chapter 20: Security Breach (خرق أمني)
Chapter 21: Red Notice (إشعار أحمر)
Chapter 22: Icarus (إيكاروس)
Chapter 23: Destiny's Melody (لحن القدر)
Chapter 24: Know Thine Enemy (تعرف على عدوك)
Epilogue: Heavy Is the Head (ثقيل الرأس)

Chapter 17: Butterfly Effect (تأثير الفراشة)

98 3 23
By EveryWhichWayzz

5 years later...

The sword came slicing through the air, the silver blade blazing in the last fading light of day.

His eyes narrowed as he spotted the oncoming danger and his body moved instinctively to react, bringing one arm, firmly attached to a tailfeather dagger of his own, swinging backward to counter and narrowly sliding away from the blow. He hastily side-stepped to the left, twirling behind his attacker, weapon at the ready, Lorr's strong mentality commanding him through his movements. He responded easily to these orders, backing and jabbing, countering every swing brought on by this powerful frontal attack.

"Good," Su-Han granted, twirling his weapon before tossing it to his other hand and coming right back in for the attack, forcing Griffon closer to a high wall, "but you're going to have to be quicker than that!"

The younger holder felt the solid concrete collide with his back, but before he had time to register this change, he was forced to parry a blow aimed directly at his head. The Celestial Guardian grunted at the biting collision of metal, his scowl growing even more resolute. Nicholas tensed, knowing far too well what that look meant, and clung to his dagger more firmly.

The two rivals sized each other up for not the first time and, Nicholas suspected, not for the last.

Wait for it, Lorr whispered. Wisdom deals not the first blow out of hatred. Let him make his move and then proceed with your counterattack.

Easy for you to say, man. You're not the one out here putting his rear on the line. But he obeyed nevertheless, watching, waiting, for the elderly (but not any less spry, to his immense surprise) man to make his next move. And he didn't have to wait long either. Su-Han came at him again, lunging for his shoulders with the intent of forcibly tossing him away from the field into the curious and rapidly expanding crowd composed of hundreds of wary eyes.

Many had gathered to see this fight, a confrontation of two of the greatest warriors the Guild had ever produced. It was well-known knowledge that Su-Han rarely involved himself in the training of paladins, especially outsiders. He had made that palpably clear the first time they had clashed and Nicholas had ended up on his back with a sprained wrist and multiple bruised ribs for his efforts. He hadn't been able to impress the Guardian then and he had waited, trained, and prepared for the day when he would once again get his chance to meet the man in combat and prove himself once and for all.

The bets had been spreading throughout the temple for weeks. Nine to one Nicholas was expected to get creamed.

That was their mistake for Nicholas now knew why he had failed that day and so many times following. Brute force hadn't been the answer then, not when the man was ten times more skilled than him and had been in contact with every miraculous possible at one point or another (he was over a thousand years old after all) and it wouldn't be this time either.

This time, he was ready.

This fight had dragged on long enough already. 

One blow, that was all he needed. One connection and the challenge would be over for good.

"Now!" he bellowed, diving for the pavement, landing hard on his stomach and promptly bracing himself to avoid what was to follow, a well-thought-out plan days in the making, one last trick to prove he could be just as clever at the Celestial Guardian.

Su-Han spun to see what the exclamation had been warning. He froze as a blur of red and black vaulted from above them on the rooftops, fists already blazing in a discharge of orange and yellow, to land in an offensive stance, power building around his form. Shaggy blond locks nearly hid the haughty smirk of success and Nicholas could almost sense the force emitting from his partner.

Su-Han slid out a foot, bracing himself for the inevitable, and brought his hands out to parry, though what bare flesh was going to be able to do against a condensed five-hundred-degree ball of raging fire, no one quite knew.

"Overdrive!" Grimm screamed, pitching the attack with as much force as he could muster.

Nicholas took off for safety, pelting out from underneath the man's steely glare and twisting back to pluck three more blades from his tail plume, expertly tossing them to embed into the man's garments and sink into the wall behind, pinning Su-Han in perfect range of Milo's blast as the Overdrive expanded outwards, spiraling straight toward the Guardian who looked...oddly unconcerned.

What the diddly was this?

Oh kwami, Nicholas realized with a jolt of horror as he met Grimm's petrified gaze. He's been expecting this the whole time!

Abort! Abort! Lorr screeched as he too suddenly comprehended what was about to happen. It's a trap! Nicholas, get out of here!

"Milo!" Nicholas yelled, waving his arms wildly in the effort to get the young man's attention. "Wait for a—"

But it was too late. Far too late. Su-Han smirked as the fire raged down upon him. In two quick sweeps of his hands, the blast was immediately redirected, careening off to the side and speeding right toward Nicholas instead, their perfect plan of victory immediately turning to despair.

"Griffon!" Milo shrieked, already running for his teammate. "Look out!"

"Whoa!" Nicholas yelled, rapidly reaching for his final two blades and holding them up in front of his face fearfully. The orange of the flames crashed through his closed eyelids and he braced himself for impact and to feel his skin sizzle from his bones. "Lorr!"

The kwami chittered something but Nicholas couldn't understand the chirps and clicks, though he suspected it was some kind of kwami curse. He didn't have time to try and figure it out anyway, as the fire was upon him now. The heat rushed across his face and he swallowed back a petrifying scream as the force of the impact shook his core. His hands shook and his knees turned to rubber. There was an eruption of white...

...and then the fire was gone.

Silence befell the arena and ashes rained from the heavens, but no pain consumed his being. He was not on fire, shrieking as his skin melted from his skeleton. The smoke disapparated and the fireball had vanished.

Nicholas! Lorr squawked over the dragon hero's panicked shouts as Grimm continued to run across the arena at full speed, horror etched across his face as he waved his hands in a desperate attempt to quench the flames. Nicholas, look at your hands! Your daggers!

Dazed, and much too weary to try and argue, Nicholas did as he was told, slowly lowering his gaze to the two weapons clenched tightly in his fists. He felt the energy coursing through the handles even before he saw the ominous glow from within the tips. Something about them...was different. He'd had these powers for almost five years now. Had they always had this weird glow?

No, you feather-brain! Lorr cried in exasperation. Your power is the precise opposite of Trekk's! You fight with wisdom and honor over vengeance and blind trust, thus your weapons can absorb Milo's! 

Wait, seriously?

It's a tactile safety mechanism, the kwami went on hastily as Su-Han started toward them once again, not looking at all phased or apologetic for what had just transpired. In the event that something were to ever happen to one holder, the other would be able to adopt those given powers, even for a short while. Let me show you.

"That was a clever trick, Lahiffe," Su-Han called, his voice seeming to ring off of the mountainside as everyone watching fell deafly silent. He sheathed his blade and folded his arms to stare down at the two now grown men as Grimm finally reached his side and just barely managed to restrain himself from throwing his arms around Nicholas gratefully.

"I'm so glad you're okay. I am so, so sorry! I almost hurt you! It was reckless and stupid of me," the blond hissed, but Nicholas was not paying him any attention, his attention solely focused on the Celestial Guardian and the very disappointed look the two of them were receiving.

Nicholas felt his heart sink. He had failed again, hadn't he?

Again, came the little voice in the back of his mind. This was the fifth time. How many more would it take for him to figure out what it was the Celestial Guardian was looking for? Five more? Ten? The rest of his life

 "Clever," Su-Han went on without missing a beat or taking into consideration the fact that Milo had been speaking at all, "but foolish. While it is true that you decided to problem-solve this battle in a way I feel is especially unique to you," He eyed Milo distastefully, "you did not uphold the requirements of the battle; which was to find a way to defeat me alone. This challenge is over!" he announced, raising his voice so the watching crowd could hear. And then he lowered it once again so that only Nicholas could hear the hammering words to follow. "And you have lost once again."

Anger boiled through his heart and his hands tightened around his blades even as he felt Milo's comforting arm around him. He watched, speechless, as Su-Han turned and swept away to rejoin the numerous crowd, even as it began to dissolve, the thrill of competition and adrenaline fading away once more to the mundane. 

"You have not yet earned your place amongst our ranks," came the last resounding criticism over the sound of distant storms and the roaring of blood in his ears. "You may try again next year. Perhaps then you will be ready."

"Nicholas," Milo began softly, trying to distract the Moroccan from his devastation. "Maybe this isn't as bad as--"

"GAAAAH!" Nicholas roared, throwing his tail daggers to the earth as soon as the master was out of sight. Instantly, they released the contained power of the overdrive and exploded into small eruptions the size of a small C4 bomb. Neither boy flinched, however, their eyes firmly focused on the pavement before them and the crushing results of their defeat.

"I can't..." Nicholas went on, his voice trembling. Milo sighed and side-hugged him tighter, seeming hesitant and unsure how much affection to give the grieving man...or rather, how much would be accepted before he found himself on his back in the dirt. "I can't do this anymore!" he wept. "Five years! It's been five years, Grimm! What am I missing? What do I have to do to get him to pass me and tell me about my father? It's not like I am asking for the keys to the kingdom here or anything! I mean, I don't even really care if I become a Guardian! I just want to know what my father was doing here and what he saw in this place and right now, I don't see any appeal at all!" 

"Okay," Milo muttered, ducking his head as a number of curious eyes followed the holder's outburst. "Let's...let's just get out of here. We can talk later. Come on. Let's just go." 

Nicholas nodded silently, allowing himself to be dragged away from the clearing back toward the barracks. A dark-haired figure moved from the masses, hurrying over and shielding the two from the onlookers, his brown and black-striped kwami not far behind.

"Come with me," Rikard spoke quickly, leaning over Milo to gently take Nicholas's arm and tug both males away from the courtyard. "Over this way. Keep up. I think there's something the two of you need to see. Bandd," he added sharply, glancing over his shoulder at the raccoon. 

"Yes, Master?" 

Nicholas started at the gravelly voice coming from the little kwami and he shot Milo a shocked glance. "Did...did that kwami just...talk?"

"Uh...yes?" Rikard replied, blinking at him in confusion. "Kwami can talk. They understand every language in order to best match with their assigned holders. Bandd," he went on, directing his conversation back to the bright-eyed animal. "Why don't you see if you can distract the Celestial Guardian for a bit?"

"Of course, Master," Bannd agreed, bowing slightly. "But how do you suggest I prolong his attention without inducing his wrath?"

"Enlist Luupa to help you or something," the young man suggested, waving a dismissive hand. "Have him talk about one of his food frenzies. Su-Han will love that. It should keep him busy for a few hours." He smiled wickedly and both Nicholas and Milo snorted. 

Revenge could be so sweet sometimes.

"As for you two," Rikard went on. "I think I might know a way to help you get the answers you've been seeking. You've been here long enough. I think it's time you learn what it is we are really up against."

"Finally," Milo breathed, picking up his pace to chase after the teenager. 

"Kwami can talk?" Nicholas exclaimed again, still very confused. You can talk? he went on to Lorr.

Most of us can communicate in such a way, came the bird's uneasy answer. However, there are...those of us who...find this method of communication...difficult to master.

Are you saying you couldn't figure out how to speak? Nicholas inquired as he followed the other boys around the backside of the temple toward the western front. There wasn't much out there besides a few small settlements and the ocean so why Rikard would want to show them something out there was beyond his understanding.

That is one way of putting it, yes.

But you're the kwami of wisdom! I thought learning things was literally in your job description!

You're making this conversation a lot more uncomfortable than it needs to be, you know, Lorr muttered. So I can't speak. What about it? I find this method of communication just as effective as words.

Nothing, man. I just...I kind of always figured all kwami communicated this way. It's...just a little surprising, that's all. Nicholas tried to shrug it off even if Lorr wasn't going to be able to see. I don't think anything of it. It's cool, I swear.

Hmmph. You are aware I can read your mind, correct? 

Yes, and that's another thing for which we are long in need of discussion. But later. Right now, I want to know what has Rikard all riled up. 

Suit yourself, Master. Rest assured, I shall be present if you should require my assistance. 

"Duly noted," Nicholas said aloud, causing Milo to jump a little. "Talons Down." 

"Dude," Milo complained as he too dropped his costume and Trekk emerged from his camera bag, blinking eerie obsidian eyes toward the three males. "You have got to start warning me before you do that! I feel like I am going to be electrocuted whenever I'm around you!"

"Huh. I didn't realize I made such an impression on you."

"You wish!" Grimm laughed, knocking him playfully in the shoulder. "You may be Mr. Holder Whatsis of Wisdom and Soon-to-be Ruler of Your Father's Legacy Blah Blah, but I still remember that scrawny kid from the seventh arrondissement who could barely figure out which end of a sword was up without stabbing himself with it. And don't forget who gave you that miraculous in the first place. You're welcome." He turned to walk backward and bow dramatically.

"You're just jealous because I'm better at using my powers than you," Nicholas snarked right back, drawing a sharp breath and forcing on a smile to push back the gnawing gut feeling of failure. 

"Ha!" Grimm laughed. "In your dreams, Robin."

"Hawkeye."

"Eh, bird, bird, same difference, really."

"You are a sad, sad human being."

"What, just because I don't know superheroes? Might I remind you that we are superheroes? Those guys aren't real."

Nicholas gasped, pretending to be wounded. "You mean all those nights staying up until three in the morning memorizing every movie and every hero's name meant nothing to you? I thought we bonded."

"We watched movies with basically the same plot over a cheesy pizza we stole ingredients to make from the nighttime kitchen staff," Milo pointed out. "There were so many other things we could have done. Like slept. Sleep. Sleep is good."

"Sleep is boring."

Rikard gave them the weirdest look. "This is the oddest conversation I think I have ever heard."

"Oh, just wait," Milo joked. "With Nicholas, it tends to get better."

"Kalimati, man, it was one time! I was drunk!"

"On what? High-C? Did someone spike your raspberry lemonade?" Milo teased. "Oh, oh! I got it! Your chocolate milk! That's how they did it, isn't it? They poured something into your chocolate milk. Well, gig's up now, I know how you did it, might as well come clean while you still can."

"Okay, first off, I am twenty-one, you know. I think that makes me of age in your country. And second; I still hate you because I prefer my High-C and you do not get to knock my lemonade in any shape, form, or manner."

"Yeah, I know," Milo went on shamelessly. "That's why you keep me around, isn't it?"

"I mean, how else am I going to burn the pants off Su-Han one of these days when I finally beat him?"

The blond exploded into laughter while Rikard looked unsure whether to laugh along with him or be absolutely appalled by this sense of humor.

"It would beak a very tough situation," Milo laughed. "You would have to have a lot of talon to pull it off."

"Shut up," Nicholas groaned. "No puns. Please. You know I hate them."

"Don't lay an egg, man, I just chiding you," Milo teased. "Wouldn't want you to fly off the hinges on me."

Nicholas's right eye twitched. 

"One day, I'm going to kill you for these past few years of nothing but this type of torture."

"No, you won't. You love it. Admit it."

"I most certainly will not do anything of the sort."

 Rikard groaned and rolled his eyes as the group started down a winding path that led away from the main courtyard to a smaller collection of settlements at the mouth of the lagoon. The air went from hot and stuffy to just-as-hot-and-stuffy-just-with-a-twinge-of-salt-in-the-breeze. Nicholas liked it here. Oftentimes, when he'd had time to himself to go exploring, he'd find himself walking along the shore. It reminded him a bit of the Seine and of home. He'd spent hours sitting on the docks, wondering what Nino and his mother would be during this time of the year and how they were holding up without him. Had Layla gone out and gotten a new job? She'd always talked about being a nurse or a veterinarian. What was Nino doing now? He would have been about eleven by this time. Was he in middle school? Had he managed to make any friends? Was he still friends with that Marinette girl? She'd been cute and they'd seemed to get along well. And what about the baby? How was Chris? Nearly five, he suspected. As ornery as he had been as a child or better behaved like Nino? Nicholas suspected the first. Nino had been a little too easy as a baby, there was no way they would get that lucky twice.

I miss them, he'd confessed once as he sat on the hill, overlooking the vast body of water. Below him, he had just been able to make out the village children running and playing in the meadow, kites flying high and buckets of water at the ready to pounce unsuspecting allies. I wish I could go back. Just once. Just so that way, they could know I am all right and that I didn't abandon them. I hope they don't think that's what I did.

They are intelligent beings, Master, Lorr had assured him then. They would not believe something so terrible of you. You informed your kin of your intentions to discover the root of your father's disappearance, did you not? I am sure they can rest easy knowing that you are continuing on your mission.

He was six, Lorr, Nicholas argued. I hardly think he's going to remember any of that now. He probably thinks I left him because I didn't care. He pulled his knees into his chest and sighed heavily. I don't know, man, I just really miss them.

Understandable. Loneliness is a common human emotion. Just do not allow it to block out all that you have learned that is good.

I won't, Nicholas promised. I need this. This is the best way to get answers and one way or another, I'm going to get them.

"Hey, dude, you with me? You're...doing that phasing thing again. You know, the one where you are blatantly not paying attention to anything anyone is saying to you? Yeah, that one. You zoned, bro."

Nicholas blinked, honing back to the present in time to catch Milo's concerned glance. When he was offered no explanation for the apparent confusion, he inhaled as calmly as he could muster and instead tuned in to his surroundings. They had long left the walls of the temple, electing to travel down a winding gravel path to a series of small huts near the water's edge, simple fishing homes to the outsider's eye, even though they were, in fact, much more on the inside. An entire department of the most recent and newest technology known to mankind to be exact.

They were the real-life examples of the metaphor; don't judge a book by its cover. Insane, but yet, just as effective. No one would suspect such an innocent-looking place to house some of the most powerful beings in the universe and that was just how they liked it.

"Nicholas?" Grimm repeated.

"What?" Nicholas responded, breaking out of his trance again in time to grab the door of the nearest hut and slip through, the others right behind him.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he abruptly turned away from the room displayed with dozens of lights and monitors to gaze evenly down at the blond who, though he stood at six-foot and was a good four inches shorter than his counterpart, continued to stare at him in concern.

Nicholas found that very unsettling. "I'm fine," he insisted before the blond could begin to explain what was troubling him. "I just don't like to lose, that's all." He rubbed his arm shamefully and averted his attention to Rikard as the younger man pushed past them and made himself busy at one of the monitors.

"I get it," Milo told him. "It's unfair how Su-Han treats you. Maybe it's to push you to be better, maybe it's just out of spite, but you can't let him stop you from fulfilling your purpose. You came here to learn about your old man. Don't let him get in your way, not after you've put all this work in to find out the truth."

"I don't plan on it," Nicholas assured. "I know I should be patient, but I'm just sick of waiting. I mean, would it kill him to crack a smile once in a while? You know, just something to show me that he doesn't hate my very guts? Nothing spectacular. I'm not asking for his job or anything. Just a sign of appreciation here and there would be nice."

"Well, I might not be able to help much on changing the Celestial Guardian's feelings toward you" Rikard cut in, leaning back in his swivel chair and folding his arms behind his head smugly. "But I think I might have an idea on how to get in his good graces."

"How?" both Milo and Nicholas said at once.

"Observe," Rikard went on, beckoning them over to the computers. Both kwami peeked out of their holder's clothing as the males obeyed, each taking up a side surrounding the teen to peer at a darkened screen; a cut-freeze frame of a dark silhouette of a cloaked figure trudging down a dark alleyway. A thick hood and dark clothing as well as a thick backpack could not hide certain distinguishing features, such as short, layered hair blowing in the breeze and the sharp glint of moonlight off what Nicholas could only suspect were glasses.

"Who is this?" he inquired, leaning up and squinting to get a better view.

"Do you remember all of those small raids that took place on the southern fronts a couple years back?" Rikard asked. "The ones everyone suspects were by a group of miraculous thieves intent on finding their way into the temple?"

"Of course," the man answered with a frown. "The entire place was on lockdown for a week."

"Yes, well, the entire organization has been oddly quiet for some time now. Su-Han suspects they may be trying to gather reinforcements to begin a second frontal attack on some of our distant outposts."

"And this person is a possible asset in this plot?" Milo gathered.

"Precisely."

"So, what do you want us to do with them?" Nicholas asked. "It's not like we can exactly prove their involvement."

"Well, not yet," Rikard admitted, "but if you went and, you know, somehow convinced her to trust you, I'd be willing to bet you could find out a lot about her and then you could tell us whether or not she is a threat."

Nicholas blinked. "I'm sorry, what? Her? Did you just say--"

"So our target is a girl!" Milo laughed gleefully. "Oh, this'll be exciting! Nick is just amazing with girls!"

"I'm really not," Nicholas muttered under his breath, "and please don't call me that again."

"And Su-Han has given us permission to go?" Milo went on, totally ignoring the holder.

"Well, he gave us permission to send whoever we thought would be best for the mission," Rikard chuckled. "And I just so happen to think that the two of you would be perfect. Plus, Nick here is always complaining about not finishing his education. This would be the perfect opportunity to make up some of that stuff."

"Don't call me Nick."

"When do we leave?" Milo asked excitedly.

"First thing in the morning would be preferable," Rikard answered as he swung around to face them once more, a goofy grin spread all the way across his face. "Gentlemen," he cackled. "Go pack your things and prepare for departure. The two of you are going to college."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307K 6.8K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
240K 6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
563K 12.5K 39
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.