𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐒...

By saintsansa

𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃, 𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐃. 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐆𝐎. 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐍... More

from the mouths of pigs.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
epilogue.

eighteen.

1.8K 101 48
By saintsansa

..⃗.  [i know the end] 𑁍ࠜ ・゚ˊˎ

╰┈ [you wrap your name tight around my ribs and keep me warm. i was born for you.]
╰┈benjamin alire sáenz

SHE HAD NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE SOMEWHERE MORE THAN THIS PLACE. Her heart raced and her hands grew sweaty. Even from backstage, she could hear the crowd outside talking amongst each other. Running a hand through her hair, she sighed. "Calm down," she muttered to herself as she paced back and forth, "all you have to do is go out there, shake her hand, smile and wave. That's it. You can do that." Biting her bottom lip, she felt her stomach flipping in on itself. She should've known a crowd this big would show out. She was sure that, even if Don had lived, Bella might've won. The city loved her. They revelled in her no bullshit attitude. She admired it, she had to admit.

A small body slammed into hers, thin arms wrapping around her waist. Looking down, she smiled at the small form of Tim. "Hey, bud." She greeted the boy, her own arms wrapping around him. His mother slowly followed behind, joining them at the side of the stage. "Hey, Marie. How've you guys been?"

The woman offered a forced smile. "We've been better... just trying to get by, y'know." Siobhan nodded, understanding completely. "I'm so sorry about your parents. I meant to call you, but we've been so busy..." She trailed off, a frown playing on her features. The frown lines at the corners of her lips were deep from use.

Siobhan waved off the woman's worries. "I understand. To be honest, I haven't been feeling very social so I probably wouldn't have answered anyway." She chuckled politely, looking down as Tim pulled back from the hug. His hand slid into hers, squeezing it tight. "What about you, Timbo? Do anything fun recently?"

He shrugged his shoulders before shaking his head. "Do you think the Batman will be here tonight?"

Marie rolled her eyes, groaning quietly. "That's all he's talked about since Don. He's been obsessed."

With a soft chuckle, Siobhan turned her attention back to Tim. "I doubt it, bud. He's probably got a lot on his plate tonight." The boy visibly deflated, a small frown playing on his lips.

"Are you giving a speech? I know Bella wanted to bring us out to offer her condolences. Is she doing the same with you?" Marie asked.

Siobhan shook her head. "I told her I'd donate to get some projects off the ground. I think she just wants to thank me. Figured I should show that I'm still alive... sort of."

Marie nodded. Her expression was one of empathy, a total understanding. The two women had lost so much in the past week. Born with pain and made to carry it their entire lives, she thought. It wasn't fair that they had to deal with the fallout of their loved ones' actions. The bearer of all consequences, women were. A soft sigh escaped Siobhan's lips as she turned back towards the mayor-elect. "She'll be a good mayor." Marie spoke, taking a step forward to stand next to the woman. "Better than Don, that's for sure."

"He had his moments." Siobhan shrugged, a joking smile on her lips. To her left, Tim squeezed her hand again, resting his head against her hip. The three fell into a silence as they watched the mayor-elect begin to speak to the crowd. The audience watched with admiration as the woman spoke with passion, sincerely thanking them for getting out and voting.

"I'd actually love to thank a friend of mine who, with her generous donation, has given me countless opportunities to help this fine city." Bella turned to wave Siobhan onto the stage. The woman pulled her hand free from Tim's. With a deep breath, she began to make her way onto the stage. The lights nearly blinded her, following her every step towards the podium. Her hands grew sweaty and her heart raced. If she didn't know any better, she'd think she was having a panic attack. "Siobhan Dumont has promised a donation of one million dollars to fund various projects such as our Feed the Homeless project and our Save the Children project. Thank you, Miss Dumont." The crowd cheered.

Siobhan forced a smile, waving to the audience that she couldn't really see past the lights that beat down on them. Her hand reached out, shaking Bella's. "I'd love for you to say a few words." Bella leaned down, speaking into the microphone but aiming the words to Siobhan. The woman's eyes widened slightly, discreetly shaking her head. "Just a few." Bella mumbled, away from the microphone.

With that, Bella let go of Siobhan's hand, stepping to the side to let her have the microphone. Biting her bottom lip, she cleared her throat. "I, uh... I didn't expect to be saying anything tonight so... please bear with me." Her eyes darted around the large room in some vain attempt to look for a familiar face. It was a sea of strangers, barely visible through the spotlight on her. "I've always believed that Gotham was a city worth saving. Uh... too many people have thrown Gotham to the side, deeming it a lost cause. With my parents gone, I knew that I could use, um... use this opportunity to do something in, uh... in their honor." Her voice began to shake with nerves. "I'm glad to be able to offer some sort of help to the city that I've loved since I was a child."

Turning back, she motioned for Bella to return to the podium. The woman sent her a thumbs up, gesturing for her to continue. With a sigh, she slowly turned her attention back to the audience. "Uh... Y'know... sometimes I'll just go into the city and, uh... people watch. It's nice to remind yourself that, um... that everyone has their own lives. That we all have our own problems that might seem like the end of the world." She swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. "I think that once we realize we're all people and that we all have our own struggles that we'll all be better off. On a path to sympathy and empathy alike."

A hand rested on her shoulder, pulling her back. Bella stepped forward, thanking Siobhan for her words. With that, she turned and retreated to the backstage. A shaky hand ran through her hair as she returned to Marie and Tim's sides. "Jesus, that was hell." She mumbled, her voice rough and raspy. Marie chuckled, her hand reaching up to rub the woman's back in a small comfort.

Bruce stepped into the asylum room, his boots heavy. He neared the large window in front of him, the steel door on the other side slowly opening. The man on the other side was small, tiny compared to the image of fear he'd built up in the city. The white and orange jumpsuit looked big on him, hanging loosely off of his frame. His glasses reflected the fluorescent light above him. Part of him still couldn't believe it. This man had cultivated such fear, such loathing in the city. But he was so small. He was sure that he could break the man's jaw with one hit. This was the same man that had strung up Siobhan's parents, had strapped a bomb around Gil Colson's neck, had forced ravenous rats to chew off Commissioner Savage's face. But now sat a small man, helpless.

A small smile began to creep onto Edward's face. Here he was, the Batman. His partner in crime. His confidant. The man he'd admired for almost two years now. Excitement filled his body as he stared the masked man down. He remained seated, his smile only widening. "I told you I'd see you in hell." He lifted his arms, showing off the handcuffs binding his wrists.

"What do you want from me?" Bruce asked, his gaze never leaving Edward's face. The speaker crackled from years of use.

"'Want?'" He shook his head. "Oh, if only you knew how long I've been waiting for this day. For this moment." His eyes glanced up and down, taking in the all black tactical suit. But he found his eyes drawn back up to the mask. A mask much greater than his. A mask that was recognizable anywhere, by anyone. A mask he envied. "I've been invisible my whole life. I guess I won't be anymore, will I? They'll remember me now. They'll remember both of us."

Bruce remained silent, staring down at the man from his spot against the wall. His mind raced as he digested the man's words. Both of us... He didn't like the sound of it. It left a sour taste in his mouth, metal and copper, thick like blood. How Edward had thought the two of them would even be comparable was beyond him. He wasn't like this man, killing for the fun of it all. He was a protector, not a predator.

"Bruce... Wayne..." Edward spoke, his voice halting all of Bruce's thoughts. His heart nearly dropped at the name. "Bruce..." he drew it out, "Wayne..." For a moment, he fell silent, exhaling loudly as his eyes fell shut. "Y'know, I was there that day. The day the great Thomas Wayne announced he was running for mayor, made all those promises. Well, a week later, he was dead and everybody just forgot about us. All they could talk about was poor Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, the orphan." His jaw clenched for a fleeting moment, his gaze sharpening. "Orphan."

Letting his eyes fall shut, he shook his head. Anger had now replaced his excitement. Anger at the billionaire that had escaped his fate. Anger at the people who had focused all of their attention on the boy who had it all. "Living in some tower over the park isn't being an orphan. Looking down on everyone with all that money. Don't you tell me." He shook his head again, more in dismay than in anger. It all had seemed like some big joke when it had first happened, Thomas and Martha Wayne's murders. But then the weeks passed and the orphanage they'd been shoved into had gotten worse, and no one had seemed to notice. Their eyes were too glued to the billionaire 'orphan.' "Do you know what being an orphan is? It's thirty kids to a room. Twelve years old and already a drophead, numbing the pain. You wake up screaming with rats chewing at your fingers. And every winter... one of the babies die because it's so cold. But, oh, no," he drew out, smacking his lips in frustration and sarcasm, "let's talk about the billionaire with the lying, dead daddy because at least the money makes it go down easy. Doesn't it?"

Bruce's jaw clenched under the man's scrutinizing gaze, darting down to the floor. It felt like he could see right through him. Like his biggest secret had been released to the press. Like there was someone waiting for him, ready to rip his mask off and laugh in his face. "Bruce... Wayne..." Edward drew out again, his voice growing louder. "He's the only one we didn't get." Bruce's eyes darted back to the man in the jumpsuit. "Him and that Dumont girl. She's a stubborn one. Though her parents were the main goal. Her and Bruce Wayne... the wonder children of Gotham. The shining jewels..." He practically spit their names in disgust. "But we got the rest of 'em, didn't we?" There was a pride in his words, in his tone. Like some kind of camaraderie. "All those slick, sleazy, phony pricks."

Taking a step towards the glass, Bruce let the small fluorescent light illuminate him. Edward leaned forward in his chair, fully taking in the suit. More importantly, the mask. "God... Look at you." He whispered, his wide eyes looking up in wonder. "Your mask is amazing. I wish you could've seen me in mine. Isn't it funny? All everyone wants to do is unmask you, but they're missing the point." He shook his head in disappointment. A disappointment with the idiots of the city. "You and I both know. I'm looking at the real you right now. My mask allowed me to be myself, completely. No shame, no limits."

"Why did you write me?" Bruce finally spoke, his glare fixed on the small man in front of him.

Edward's smile never faltered. Bruce's glare remained unnoticed. "What do you mean?"

"All those cards."

"I told you," Edward started, "we've been doing this together. You're part of this."

"We didn't do anything together."

"We did." Edward slightly shook his head. "What did we just do? I asked you to bring him into the light, and you did. We're such a good team."

"We're not a team." It made him sick to think of the two as a team. Him and Alfred were a team. Him and Siobhan were a team. Him and Selina were a team. But not him and Edward. Never him and Edward.

"I never could've gotten him out of there." He gestured towards his body. "I'm not physical, my strength is up here. I mean, I had all the pieces, I had the answers. But I didn't know how to make them listen." His cuffed hands reached up, resembling a sinner begging for forgiveness. But in his own eyes, he was the god, asking for sinners to pay for their trespasses. "You gave me that." He stood up from his seat, leaning forward to look through the glass separating them.

"I gave you nothing."

"You showed me what was possible." Edward practically begged for the masked man to understand him. "You showed me all it takes is fear and a little focused violence." A pit formed in Bruce's stomach at the man's words. Had he really inspired a serial killer? Had his efforts to clean up the city backfired on him? "You inspired me."

"You're out of your goddamn mind." Bruce bit out, his glare sharpening.

Edward's face dropped. "What?" His voice cracked slightly under the weight of his newfound idol's harsh words.

"This is all in your head. You're sick, twisted."

"How can you say that?"

"You think you'll be remembered?" Bruce found himself spitting out insults, blinded by his rage. Rage at himself and at the man in front of him. To think he'd caused so much suffering. To think that he was the reason behind Siobhan and Alfred's misery. It was all bubbling to the surface, infecting everything he touched, every word he spoke. "You're a pathetic psychopath, begging for attention-"

"NO!" Edward shouted, shaking his head.

"You're gonna die alone in Arkham, a nobody-"

"No, no, no, no! NO!" Edward shouted as his hands reached up to cover his ears. He needed to block out Bruce's beratement, refusing to hear any of it. It wasn't fair. This wasn't fair. "This is not how this was supposed to go!" He shouted as he began to pace the small room he was confined in. "I had it all planned out! We were gonna be safe here! We could watch the whole thing together!"

"Watch what?" Bruce's eyebrows furrowed.

"Everything!" Edward shouted back at him, his own glare shooting daggers into the masked man's armor. A tense silence washed over the two. As he stared Bruce down, he began to put the pieces together. The man hadn't figured out the plan with the seawall. "It was all there. You mean, you didn't figure it out?" He began to near the window again, the chains around his ankles clattering together. He breathed slowly and heavily. "Oh, you're really not as smart as I thought you were. I guess I gave you too much credit."

"What have you done?"

"What's black and blue and dead all over?" After a brief silence, Edward leaned closer to the glass. His nose pressed into it and his breath fogged it. "You." He leaned back from the glass. "If you think you can stop what's coming."

"What have you done?" Bruce demands again. His eyes watch as the man began stepping back, belting out a pitchy version of Ave Maria. His fist slammed into the glass, demanding him tell him what he had done. But the man continued to sing, high pitched and ignorant to the man's shouting.

Siobhan ran a hand through her hair, watching her new mayor speak to the crowd.

A man in a suit quickly pushed past them, making his way onto the stage towards Bella. The three watched in confusion as he leaned down to whisper in her ear. Bella's face dropped as she slowly nodded. "O-Okay... Alright, everyone, we'll need to remain calm, but it seems there's been an attack on the seawall." The crowd began to grow rowdy, panic beginning to settle amongst them. "Everyone please remain calm. This is the best place for us to be in this kind of situation. I'll be right back." She turned and made her way backstage, the suited man close behind. Her hand grabbed Siobhan's arm, pulling her away from the group. When the two were far enough away, she leaned in. "They caught Riddler. But apparently he planted bombs around the seawall."

"Jesus," she whispered, her arms crossing over her chest, "are they evacuating people?"

"They're bringing most of the city here. They said the streets will flood in the next hour."

A pit began to form in her stomach. Her mind drifted back to Bruce, back to Alfred and Dory. Slowly nodding, she bit her bottom lip. "What's the game plan?"

"I don't know." Bella rubbed her face, disregarding any makeup she wore. "I was hoping maybe you had an idea."

Siobhan wanted to scoff in shock. "Me? Why would I know what to do? You're the mayor now. Here's the red carpet, honey."

Bella groaned quietly, her hands cupping her face. "Fuck!" She hissed as she dropped her arms at her sides.

People had begun crowding into the Garden, fearfully telling others about the water that was making its way into the city. Tensions were high, only growing from there. Panic filled every crevice of the conference center. Police had begun to enter the building in a vain attempt to calm the panic.

As they stood there, trying to think of a plan, Lieutenant Gordon and two police officers approached them. "Lieutenant Gordon! Just the man I needed to see." She let out a breath of relief, pushing her hair out of her face. "What's the plan? Isn't this the safest place to be in the event of flooding?"

He shook his head. "This seems to be a targeted attack. Maybe a way to draw as many people here as he can."

"But you caught the Riddler?" Bella's eyebrows furrowed. With a huff, she shook off the question. "Look, I'll go calm the crowd so that we can get everyone in."

She moved to step past Jim, but he stopped her. "It's not safe for you here. For either of you." His words directed to both Bella and Siobhan. "We need to get both of you out."

"I'm not going anywhere." Bella scoffed.

"We're under attack, ma'am."

"Exactly!" She exclaimed, frustration evident in her tone and face. "That's the problem with this city. Everyone's afraid to stand up and do the right thing. But I'm not. So, excuse me." With that, she pushed her way past Jim, leaving him and Siobhan behind. Her heels clicked against the stage as she made her way towards the podium. The once orderly crowd had devolved into mayhem. People littered the stands everywhere, no longer in their seats. Panic burst from the seams of the building. Jim and Siobhan quickly approached the curtain, watching carefully as Bella neared the podium. "Everyone, everyone, if I could just get your attention! Please! I just need your attention!" Her voice began to die as her eyes slowly moved up towards the lights. Above them was the large screen displaying her name and face. On top of that stood a masked man, rifle in hand. Her face dropped as she took a step back.

A shot rang out, a bullet lodging into her shoulder. The crowd screamed in horror as the men began opening fire on the crowd. Jim rushed the stage, shielding Bella's body with his own. Siobhan followed after, helping him carry her backstage and out of view of the shooters. The crowd began to disperse, running to hide from the sea of bullets that was raining down on them. They set Bella down on the floor, Jim looking up for a clear shot at one of the men. Siobhan held her hand down on Bella's shoulder, her hands beginning to soak in the blood.

The glass ceiling began to shatter under an explosion. Both Jim and Siobhan looked up to see the imposing figure of the Batman drop down from the roof, landing on the large walk path that the men stood on. She silently thanked whatever higher power there may be that he was here. She turned to face Jim. "Go help him! I'll stay with her." Jim hesitantly nodded, pushing himself off of the floor to grab a police officer, telling them to get him up there.

To her right, Tim and Marie huddled together, hidden away. Tim pulled from his mother, running up to wrap his arms around Siobhan. Marie quickly followed, crouching next to Bella. "Is there anything I can do to help?" She asked.

"Hold her shoulder. Keep the pressure." The woman did as told, replacing Siobhan's hands on Bella's wound. Pulling back, Siobhan reached down to rip a piece of fabric from the bottom of her dress. "It's amateur, but it'll do until the paramedics can get to you." She spoke as she began to tie the fabric around Bella's shoulder.

"Look out!" Bella shouted.

Before they could react, a hand grabbed a fistful of Siobhan's hair, ripping her back and knocking Tim away from her. A masked man dragged her onto the stage. "Get the fuck off of me, you asshole! I'll fucking kill you! Fuck you!" She shouted obscenities as she attempted to free herself from the man's grip. As he dragged her to the middle of the stage, her gaze focused on a large noose slowly being lowered towards where they stood. Her eyes widened. "No, no, no! Please don't do this! Please don't! I can pay you, just please don't do this!" Tears began to spill from her eyes as she watched the rope grow closer.

"You're what's wrong with this city." The man practically growled, voice muffled under his mask. "You're a cancer. And you should've been rooted out with your parents." Her eyes dart around the area, looking for anything. A large shard of glass sat a few inches from her head to her right. Grabbing the shard, she slammed it into the man's leg. He cried out as he fell to the floor. She climbed on top of him, her fist slamming into his face with little expertise. All she knew was that she needed to hurt him enough to keep him down. Gripping the glass shard tightly, she slammed it into his chest.

Arms wrapped around her, trapping her arms at her side and lifting her from the floor. Her body squirmed and wiggled, fighting tooth and nail against whoever held her. "You're gonna hang for that." A man growled in her ear, carrying her towards the noose. Hot, fat tears streamed down her face as he carried her behind the noose. Her eyes searched above the screens at the fight going on. Part of her prayed he'd see her, save her like the hero she knew he was. But maybe this was it. This was her time. All of her actions, her parents' actions, had led her here. Maybe the third time was the charm, that they'd finally beaten her. Fate caught up to her, ghosts nipping at her heels.

One of his hands grabbed the rope, wrapping it around her neck. Once the rope was tightened, it began to raise. Her hands scratched at the rope in a vain attempt to pull it off. Her feet kicked furiously, barely missing the man that was now below her. Tears streamed down her face as she began to choke.

On top of the screen, a foot slammed into Bruce's side, knocking him down. A grunt escaped his lips as he rolled forward, narrowly avoiding a man's bullet. Grabbing a dropped rifle, he slammed the butt into the man's face, knocking him down. As he spun to hit another man, his eyes focused in on a woman struggling against a rope tied around her neck. Slamming the man down, he pulled out a small batarang, throwing it towards her. A pair of hands grabbed his cape, slamming him down onto the floor and dragging him away.

The rope snapped, dropping her back down to the stage. Her lungs burned and her throat ached deeply. She was sure there had to be some damage to her windpipe or her voicebox... anything, really. Her body slammed down on the stage, pain shooting throughout her back and head. Behind her, the walk path above her began to collapse, the steel wires holding them up being cut. The masked man on the stage ran over, climbing on top of her. His fist slammed into her cheek before his hands wrapped around her neck. Her hands reached up in a vain attempt to knock the man off, but he remained steadfast. His grip around her neck tightened. Her body began to grow weaker, tired. Part of her didn't feel like fighting anymore. But if she gave up now, then what was the point? What was the point of everything? Why did she go through nothing but pain, just to be taken out the second she was a little happy?

A steel bar hit into the man's side, knocking him off of Siobhan. She gasped for air, her entire body burning. Her body scooted away on the stage. Looking around, her eyes focused in on Tim holding the steel bar, his eyes wide with fear. Her breathing was wheezy and labored; her hand reached out to him, asking for the bar. The young boy's shaky hands gently placed the bar in her own shaky hand. Pushing herself up off of the floor, she made her way towards the masked man. She loomed over the man, her eyes glaring down at him. "Take off your mask." She ordered him.

His eyes darted between her glare and the steel bar in her grip. His hands reached up, pulling off the non-prescription glasses and the mask. Cling wrap glued his dark hair down. His bright eyes wide with fear as she stared down at him. His features were unsuspecting, non-threatening. If she'd seen him on the streets, she wouldn't have given him a second thought. And maybe that's why they were so angry. They didn't stand out. With a clenched jaw, she spit on him before raising the steel bar. He flinched back, his eyes shutting tight in preparation for the impact. But it never came. She simply stood there, staring down at him with a frown. "You're gonna die in prison a nobody. Just like how you lived." She slammed the bar into his face, knocking him out.

Dropping the bar to the floor, she turned around to see Tim still standing there. His eyes remained wide as he stared down at the unconscious man. Approaching him, her arms wrapped around him, lifting him from the ground and carrying him backstage. Marie waved for them to follow her, leading them down off of the stage and under it.

A boot slammed into Bruce's back, sending him stumbling. The man on the walk path began scrambling backwards as Bruce continued his long and heavy strides towards him. Grabbing a shotgun, the man quickly aimed and pulled the trigger. The shot flung Bruce back, his back slamming into the metal walkway. His body rolled off of the edge, his hand barely catching himself. All of his weight, all of the armor's weight, remained heavy in his grasp. A grunt escaped his lips as pain spread throughout his entire body. Looking down, he could see the long way to the floor below. The crowd continued to disperse and hide, screaming as they watched him dangle from the edge.

The masked man breathed heavily as he pushed himself up, gathering ammo for his gun. A new sense of power washed over him as he slowly made his way towards Bruce. His eyes glared down at the costumed man. His boots were heavy on the metal as he came to a halt just above Bruce. Opening the chamber, he began to slide the ammo into place. Slowly, to savor the moment. Bruce stared up at the man, wondering if this could be his last moments. If he'd failed the city he'd tried to save. If he'd been the creator of the city's doom. His mind drifted back to Siobhan and their dance in the kitchen. How her hand had rested over his heart, calming it. How her head had rested against his shoulder like he was her only sense of comfort. If he could go out with that memory in mind, he might die a happy man.

A body slammed into the masked man, knocking him over. A boot slammed into his face, throwing him onto the floor of the walk path, barely conscious. Selina leaned over, her hands grabbing Bruce's as she struggled to pull him back onto the stable walk path. He groaned quietly in pain as he helped pull himself up. Pain coursed through his entire body, oozing into every crevice. He collapsed onto the metal path, his vision fading in and out. "Shiv..." He mumbled, his head turning to the right to look towards the stage. His entire being feared that he'd failed to save her, that she was hanging there for all to see. But there was no one on the stage except for an unconscious, unmasked man. Relief flooded him - at least he'd done something right, he thought to himself.

Selina shushed him, her worried eyes taking in his grim appearance. His consciousness slipping in and out, a grunt of pain occasionally dripping from his lips. She wasn't sure what to do, how to help. Could she just sit there and watch? Was that all? Her eyes searched his face, desperately clinging to some hope that he'd shoot up, right as rain. But as his eyes began to slowly shut, she felt panic settling into her bones. Tears began to build in her eyes as she looked down on him. Her breathing was shaky as she leaned down, gently pressing her lips to his.

As his eyes began to flutter open, a masked man grabbed Selina, throwing her to the ground. Bruce lifted his head, watching as the man dragged her away from him. He attempted to move, his entire body sore and weak. His hand searched his utility belt, pulling out a large syringe. He slammed the syringe into his leg. His heart began to race as the adrenaline coursed through his veins. Pushing himself up, he made his way towards the man, grabbing him and throwing him off of Selina. "You should've let us hang that Dumont bitch!" The man shouted at Bruce, his voice laced with rage. "Riddler was right, they're all a cancer!"

Bruce's fist slammed into the man's face, sending him to the floor. His fist began repeatedly hitting him, ignoring the pain the began to spread throughout his knuckles. All he saw was red. Everything begins to drown out, his only focus on the blood that begins to leak out the side of the man's mask. "Hey! Hey!" A voice shouts from behind him, a hand grabbing his shoulder. Bruce flinches back, his fists raised. His gaze focuses in on Jim and Selina, staring at him with shock and suppressed fear. They'd never seen him like this, so vengeful. "Take it easy, man." Jim spoke, his voice low and calm.

Glancing down at the masked man, Bruce pushes himself up, takes a step away from him. Jim leaned over, pulling the mask off of the barely conscious man. Blood leaked from his nose and mouth. Pieces of sandy blond hair peaked out from under the cling wrap, sticking to his face. The man looked pathetic in that moment, just a man you'd pass by on the streets. "Who the hell are you?" Jim asked.

"Me?" The man breathed, wheezing echoing from his lungs. "I'm Vengeance."

Bruce felt that familiar pit forming in his stomach once again. Edward's words echoed in his mind. A reminder that this was his fault. That, without him, these men wouldn't have had this symbol to hide behind. For a moment, he thought that maybe it was time to retire the Batman. That if he could cause this much chaos, this much suffering, was he really doing anything good for the city? Or was he simply infecting it, watching it fester like a nasty wound? Putting a bandaid on a broken leg, his father would say.

The lights in the conference center began to flicker off, plunging the entire building into darkness. A wave of water crashed through the glass doors, knocking the large stage over. They all watched as the water took over the building, claiming it as its own. The crowd screamed in panic as it washed over them, tearing down metal like it was paper. Wires connecting to the lights were severed, swinging wildly as they sparked about. Bruce stared at one of the large wires growing closer to the water. If just one spark touched it, everyone would be gone. He'd have failed again.

Nearing the edge of the walk path, he shot his grappling hook towards one of the metal poles that held up the lighting equipment. He launched himself over the railing, swinging towards the wire that hung down. As he held onto the wire, he pulled out one of the large batarangs from his chestplate. In that moment, he didn't care what happened to him. He only cared about righting his wrongs, about doing one good thing for this city that he cared so deeply about. With a final breath, he cut the wire. The electric shock sent him back, him and the dead wire falling into the water below.

Under the stage, Siobhan held Tim tight to her. Her free hand was intertwined with Marie's, squeezing as she let her eyes shut tight. The water had begun to rise and the twisted metal above them had them all trapped. Bella stood across from her, her arms clinging to a metal pole keeping her afloat. A wince occasionally crossed her face at the dull ache in her shoulder. The entire building was plunged into darkness as a police car fell deeper into the water, dimming its flashing lights. Tim clung to her, his face buried into her shoulder.

Red light illuminated the area, slowly growing brighter. The twisted metal was lifted out of the way, revealing the Batman standing over them. Her eyes widened and a breath of relief dripped from her lips. He held his free hand out to them. They all looked around, nervous. But Siobhan waded through the water, Tim staring up at the costumed man. Her hand grabbed his gloved one tight, pushing herself up. She set Tim down on the section of debris, her arms flinging around Bruce in a tight hug. His free arm wrapped tight around her, holding her flush against him. "You're alive." She breathed, burying her face into his neck.

Pulling back, she sent him a watery smile, her eyes flooding with tears of relief. Her hand reached back out to grab Tim's, stepping to the side to help others out of the hole. Holding up the flare, Bruce began to lead them towards the emergency escape to the roof. Most of the building had already evacuated up to the roof. A hand clung to his arm as they waded through the water. He could recognize her touch anywhere, even through the thick armor he wore.

The entire group made their way up the stairs towards the roof to join the rest of the city. The National Guard had been called to help evacuate and relocate those who couldn't stay. Siobhan's hand gently wrapped around Bella's arm, pulling her to the side, away from the crowd. "I can donate my house to the city. It's got ten bedrooms, and more rooms could be converted into bedrooms for others. For those who can't get back in their homes. It's up on the hill, by Wayne Manor."

A smile grew on Bella's face. "I knew you were a good person, Shiv." Her good arm wrapped around the woman and pulled her into a hug. It was a kind and friendly hug, one that Siobhan hadn't been used to, but she found herself smiling. Despite the pain that rushed through her body, despite the horrors they'd all just been through, she smiled. Pulling back from the hug, Bella went off to gather the police officers and the news crew.

Siobhan approached one of the National Guard, offering to help however she can. The man handed her a duffle bag of water bottles and an armful of blankets, asking if she could pass them out. Her feet carried her throughout the roof, stopping by every group of people and offering them waters or blankets. Their surprised expressions did not go unmissed by the woman but she couldn't bring herself to mind. After all they'd been through, it was hard to bring herself to care about those little things.

Across the roof, Bruce offered his own assistance to the National Guard, helping carry those who were injured to the stretchers. As he set the woman down, her hand clung to his arm. Fear filled her eyes as she stared up at him. They were all scared, he could tell. Just as scared as he was. In this moment, he saw what Siobhan had been talking about at the diner. How everyone had their own lives, their own problems. How they all had their own private insecurities, their own fears, rational or irrational. His gloved hand gently grabbed the woman's, offering an encouraging smile. The woman slowly let go of his arm, allowing the men to strap her into the stretcher. His eyes watched as she disappeared into the helicopter.

Standing up, his eyes searched the roof. A familiar frame became the focus of his gaze. A large duffle bag hung from her shoulder, looking too heavy for her to carry. He made his way over to her. His hand grabbed the strap of the duffle bag, startling her. "Jesus, you scared the shit out of me." She breathed, her hand resting over her racing heart. "Thanks, I think my shoulder was ready to fall off if I had to keep carrying that." Her arm slipped under his, pulling him along with her to continue passing out waters and blankets.

The two came to a stop near the edge of the roof, out of sight of the crowd. "You did good today, Batman. You're a savior to them now. Something to believe in rather than something to fear." Her eyes gazed up at him, really seeing him. A small smile played on her lips as she ran her eyes along his features. But the smile quickly fell when she noticed faint tears building up in his eyes. "What? What happened?"

"I thought you had..." He trailed off. His eyes darted away from her. "I thought I'd lost-" His words stopped as her arms wrapped around him, pulling him into a tight hug. Her lips pressed gentle kisses to his jaw, reminders that she was still there, that she was okay. A soft breeze washed over them, blanketing them in a cool calm. His arms wrapped tight around her, holding her flush against him.

As she pulled back, his arm remained wrapped around her, holding her tight. A playful smile grew on her lips as her hands rested on his chest. "Now, Mr. Batman, you know I have a very handsome and very powerful boyfriend."

"Sounds like a lucky guy."

She chuckled. "Tell me about it." Standing on her tiptoes, her shoes lost and forgotten, she pressed her lips to his. His eyes fell shut as he let himself relax against her. The ache in his muscles was ignored as he pulled her impossibly closer. He'd needed this, this reminder that she was alive and he hadn't failed her. That he'd saved her. That she still saw him and still loved him. He let himself be consumed by her, become vulnerable for her. He wanted to spend every waking moment reminding himself that she was still there, that she'd always be there.

Pulling back from the kiss, she smiled brightly. "You can't save everyone. Part of the gig." She shrugged her shoulders, her hands still resting on his chest. "After they get everyone out of here, I was gonna head back home, make sure Alfred and Dory are okay."

He slowly nodded, his eyes drinking in her features. "I need to see someone first. Then I'll be home."

She pressed a kiss to the corner of his lips, pulling herself out of his arms and taking the duffle bag from him. "Be safe."

"I'm always safe."

A chuckle escaped her lips as she turned to return to her duties, comforting those who were shaken. Bruce let his eyes linger on her for a fleeting moment before he turned to leave. As she passed out bottles of water, she could hear Bella speaking to the press, to the city. She told them that they would rebuild, not only the city but the confidence in authority, as well. The woman told the press that Siobhan had donated her house to the city, that it would be used as a local shelter for those displaced by the flood. She sent the woman a thankful smile before returning her attention back to the press.

A soft sigh escaped her lips as she watched the last of the citizens be taken off of the roof by helicopter. She neared one of the soldiers, a grateful smile on her lips as he helped her onto the helicopter. It took off, raising her above the underwater city. She hated to say it, but it looked beautiful. The way the rising sun reflected off of it. It almost looked ethereal. Like a renaissance painting that she yearned to run her fingers along. The helicopter carried her away from the flooded city, closer to the outskirts where her old house sat.

The helicopter hovered over the one of the open roads, dropping a ladder down for her. She thanked the men before climbing down the helicopter. Once she was off, she tugged at the ladder, watching them pull it back up and take off, leaving her alone on the road. Rubbing her face, she pulled her hair into a low ponytail before trekking her way up the hill towards Wayne Manor. A yawn raked through her body as exhaustion hit her full force. What she'd thought would be an hour or two at an inauguration had turned into an all night terrorist attack. She was sure Alfred or Dory would ambush her with questions the second she stepped inside.

Making her way up the driveway, she pulled the keys to the door out of her bra. She unlocked the door, pushing her way in and locking the door behind her. "Bruce? Shiv?" Alfred's voice called out from the bedroom he stayed in.

"It's Shiv." She called out, setting the keys down in the bowl next to the door and made her way towards the bedroom. "Bruce had some business to do. He should be home soon, though."

"I was just watching the news. Are you two alright?" His wide eyes took in her disheveled appearance.

Running her hand along her face, she sighed. "Riddler blew up the seawall and a bunch of guys shot up the Garden. So... normal day in Gotham, y'know." A tired chuckle escaped her lips as she leaned against the doorframe. "Do you need anything? I can go make you some food or coffee or something."

He shook his head. "I think you need to get some rest." His voice laced with worry.

Slowly nodding, she sent him a thumbs up. "That sounds like a good plan." She started to turn to leave but stopped. "If you need anything, don't be afraid to wake me. It's really no big deal."

Alfred shook his head as he watched her leave, making her way upstairs. Her feet dragged against the hardwood floors. She entered the kitchen, opening the cabinets to search for ingredients. Grabbing one of Alfred's cookbooks, she opened a page to a red velvet cake. A soft sigh slipped from her lips as she began mixing ingredients.

Bruce let his armor fall to the cold floor of the cave. His hand reached up to run through his hair, damp from sweat and water. Glancing at the journals, he left them untouched, deciding to leave it for tomorrow. His finger reached up, pulling out his contact lens and setting it on the player. He paused the screen, shutting off the computer. His fingers peeled his black undershirt off, tossing it in the pile with his armor. A hand rubbed his face as he entered the elevator.

Leaning against the wall, he let his eyes fall shut. He just wanted to curl into bed and sleep. As the elevator came to a halt, he moved past the door. He neared the stairs, stopping when he heard a clatter in the kitchen. His eyebrows furrowed as he made his way towards the kitchen. By the oven stood Siobhan, bent over and staring into the door of the oven. "What are you doing?" He asked, his voice raspy and quiet.

"Making a cake for Alfred." She simply answered, not taking her eyes off of the baking cake inside of the oven.

A small, tired smile grew on his lips. "You should be in bed." He took a few steps into the kitchen, leaning against the counter. "We should be in bed."

Her hand waved him off. "Once I give this to him, I'll be up there." She straightened her posture, turning to look at him. Their faces flushed as her eyes were drawn to his bare chest. Bruises and scars littered his skin, stories of his victories and his failures. "You don't have to stay up. You can go to bed. God knows you need it more than me."

He rolled his eyes, stepping forward to wrap his arms around her, holding her back to his chest. His warm body held her cold one. Perpetually cold, he'd always found her. Goosebumps made permanent homes on her skin. He pressed a soft kiss to her temple, holding her tight against him. He wanted to keep her in his arms, hold her until they were six feet under the ground. Part of him liked to imagine this would be their future, his arms around her, his love enveloping her. All of this love he once held for his parents with nowhere to go, no one but Alfred to take it. So he gladly gave it all to her, put all of his eggs in one basket. If he could've married her right then and there, he probably would have. Happily got down on one knee, begged her to marry him. Knowing her, she'd politely decline, claim she'd make a bad wife. Or maybe she'd cry with joy, wrap her arms around him and litter his face with kisses.

"You're quiet." She mumbled, her eyes still on the cake.

"I'm always quiet."

"Not with me." She chuckled quietly. "You never seem to shut up around me."

"I was thinking about marrying you." He whispered, his head resting in the crook of her neck.

She laughed, shaking her head. "I'd make a horrible wife. You'd divorce me in a month. And then I'd get half your money."

A smile grew on his lips, pressed against her skin. "Then I guess girlfriend will suffice." He mumbled, his arms tightening around her.

The oven timer began to beep. She reached over, turning the oven off and opening the door. A wave of heat washed over them as she pulled the cake tin out and set it on top of the stove. "I don't suppose I'm a very good one of those either." She muttered, her attention on the cookbook in front of her. "Hand me the icing over there, please." Her hand gestured to the small bag of icing. Bruce pulled his arms from around her, reaching over and handing it to her. His eyes watched as she slathered the cake in white icing, a small tube of food coloring next to her.

Her fingers worked carefully with a butter knife, spreading and smoothing out the icing. She'd always been so passionate about everything she did. No matter how small it might seem to others, it meant the world to her. Even as a kid, she would try her hardest. He thought that maybe it was her way of trying to gain love from someone else because she knew her parents were a lost cause. It nearly broke his heart, to think that she'd gone so long without anyone to tuck her in, read her a bedtime story, press a kiss to her forehead. He'd at least gotten that before his parents had died. But she'd never experienced that. He watched her grab the tube of food coloring and begin to write words on the top of the cake. 'WELCOME HOME ALFRED' it read.

"Alright," she whispered, setting the tube down and taking a step back to look at it, "want to help me bring it to him?" Bruce nodded, grabbing the tray and following her down the stairs to Alfred's bedroom. They neared the open door, Siobhan gently knocking on the doorframe. The man looked up to see the two of them enter, cake in hand. His eyebrows furrowed, asking them what it was for. "We're glad you're back, Alfred. So I made your favorite. Red velvet with white icing."

Bruce set the cake down on a small table next to the bed, pulling it in front of the older man. A large smile spread on Alfred's lips as he looked between them and the cake. "I don't... I don't know what to say." His words came out as watery whispers, tears building in his eyes. "Thank you. Sincerely." Siobhan's arms wrap around the man, pulling him into a tight hug.

Taking a step back, Bruce watches the two hug. The most important people in his life. The two who saw every side of him and loved him unabashedly for it. The ones he saw in his future, by his every side. A smile grew on his lips, one of the largest he'd mustered in nearly a decade.

For a moment, - one that joined his growing collection of moments - he enjoyed being Bruce Wayne.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

812 165 26
"Sugar, spice and everything but nice. Cooked up on the flames of vice." [Barbara Gordon] [Started: 02/06/2021] [Completed: 02/12/2021] Cover made by...
707 17 2
With Gotham seemingly unsecured, an unlikely partnership forms.
80.7K 2.5K 21
"Bruises that are ugly And painful Are more than skin deep." Pattinson!Batman X Detective OC
13.9K 132 23
Damian wayne x y/n oneshots You can request others if y'all want It doesn't matter Hope you enjoy it. Request are open ⚠️ Warning ⚠️might contain Cu...