Creation Begins with an I, De...

By CrashOfWorlds

Error and Ink are two Gods, one of creation, the other of Destruction. One is a tattoo artist, happy with his... More

Fried Chicken and Video Games
Guilt
Creation Meets Destruction
Emo Love Advice
"We'll Regret This In The Morning."
Playing Mute
'Inky'
'Mr. Perfect Nurse'
Official and Illegal
Suspicious
You're Replaceable
Hospitals Are Fun!
Idiot of the Highest Order
Kidnapped
"Stick The Knife Back In, It Might Help."
Philosophical Nonsense
Mr Monochrome and his Misplaced Brother
Act Serious For A Minute, You're Being Held At Gunpoint Now
'Crossing' The Line
Reverse Child Kidnapping
99 Problems and People are Every Single One of Them
Your Local Drug Dealers
The Air Has The Consistency of Ice Cream
Starbucks Group Therapy
Perfectly Ordinary Library
Why Does Everyone Have a Million Secrets Now
Drunken Latino Meltdown
Normal Day at the Office
Randomly Generated Conversation Topics
Is It Supposed to Look Like That?
Ordinary Family Dinner
Bowls and Bullets
A POSITIVE announcement about the future of this book
Exciting News! (+Exclusive content preview!)
THE REWRITE OF THIS BOOK IS OUT NOW

Feeling Like We'd Rather Not Feel at All

1.9K 51 274
By CrashOfWorlds

Hi guys! Just wanted to thank you for all the votes and comments on the last chapter! Nice to see the support coming back into this. I appreciate every comment you guys left <3

Beware. I'm editing and uploading this at 11pm. If there are mistakes just point them out and i'll deal with it later lmao.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was as if the shower head had actually began spouting out blood.

Smelling strongly of blended copper and iron, the cold water swirled down the drain beside Error's feet. For the longest time, he stood with his arms on the wall, head bent down as he allowed the water to wash over his wounded shoulder.

Although the temperature left him shivering, he'd tried hot water- but the steam had carried the metallic scent of remorse up to his nose.

At least the cold water was soothing to the burning that the wound caused.

Eventually, he stopped the shower- just in time to hear aggressive pounding at his front door. Sighing, Error pulled a towel over his face, rubbing harshly.

By the time he'd got to the door, dressed in only a pair of shorts, Cross was about ready to recreate The Shining, knife poised.

Ink pushed through first. "Let me see," He demanded immediately.

Cross closed the door behind them, and set on the table the wooden box with the leaf on the front. Error didn't notice this, as Ink was now commanding him to bend down so that he could see his shoulder properly.

"It's not even really bleeding anymore."

"No, but that doesn't make it okay!" Ink huffed, "Let's go sit down."

Ink had begun healing Error before they'd even properly made it into the next room. Falling down onto the sofa, Error muttered, "I don't need help."

Cross still hadn't said anything, loitering in the doorway.

"So, tell me then!" Ink begged, "What happened?"

"I was just... Out doing my job. And some of those Divinity Seeker people were there."

"How many?"

"Seven."

"And they're dead?"

"All of them."

While he wasn't particularly comfortable, the healing magic did help Error relax into the sofa slightly.

"And, you know-" Ink looked down, "I'm sorry. For earlier."

"No, it's okay. I didn't mean to get mad, I'm just-" Error cut himself off.

"Just what?"

"Just..."

"You aren't really feeling better yet?"

"What do you mean?" Error narrowed his eyes.

"From that breakdown you had," Ink replied simply.

"No." Error suddenly pushed himself back, and off the sofa, "No, I'm fine."

"I'm just saying, maybe you're still a bit... you know, fragile!"

Cross winced. "Can I talk to you for a second, Ink?"

"I am not," Error hissed, "Fragile."

"Uh," Ink hesitated, "One second, Error."

Error stormed out of the room.

"Ink." Cross folded his arms.

"What?"

"You know Error. And if there's one thing he doesn't like, it's being treated like he can't handle things."

"What do you know about him?" Ink blinked. "You've known him for all of two seconds."

"And so have you! But it's obvious that he's not gonna have that sort of conversation!"

"But it's true- he is still kind of a mess."

"Yeah, but you can't just-" Cross groaned, "You can't tell him that it's obvious."

"I wasn't trying to upset him, I was just trying to point out why he's..." Ink cut himself off, "Yeah, maybe you're right."

"Stay here. I'm gonna go talk to him."

Cross made sure to bring his wooden box with him.

Error was in his room, pulling a hoodie on while sat on the bed.

"Hey," Cross knocked on the open door.

"Hm?" Error acknowledged him vaguely. He left the hoodie unzipped, showing the middle of his cracked ribs. Thankfully, they looked a lot better after Life's healing.

"You alright, amigo?"

"I'll be fine." He huffed. "I'll take some painkillers."

"I'm not worried about your shoulder," Cross approached Error, "You seem stressed the fuck out."

"Stressed," Error pointed at him, wide-eyed, "Not fragile."

"I said stressed, and that's what I meant."

The monochrome skeleton took thew silence as an opportunity to sit down next to Error on the bed.

Error got up immediately, drifting toward the window and opening it with a click. Standing with his back to Cross, he gazed outside.

"You good?"

"It's just hot in here."

"It's not that hot, buddy."

Error turned around, leaning against the windowsill. "If you say so."

"You look flushed, actually," Cross got to his feet again, "Maybe you should take those painkillers."

"I'm not really in any pain." He was quickly dismissed. Error's fingers subconsciously traced his sternum.

"Okay." Cross said quietly. Naturally, he didn't believe Error, but her certainly didn't press harder for the truth.

There was a knock at the front door. It was quieter at the back of the apartment where Cross and Error were, but they both still looked toward the doorway, synchronized.

"Ink will get that, I'm sure." Cross assured.

"Guys!" Ink called, seconds later, "Guys, we have a problem! Or- not a problem, sorry, Four."

"Four..." Error whispered, holding his breath in anticipation.

Cross set the wooden box down on the bed. "Wait here."

Error didn't like taking orders from Cross. Not because he didn't respect Cross- he did, just not in the same way he respected Four. He remained where he was, though not because Cross had asked him to.

He needed to get his story straight.

'I killed seven human Seekers. But that was only because I was doing my job- wait, I wasn't supposed to start doing that until tomorrow... But maybe he'd see it as me getting ahead of the workload?' Error's fingers dug into his sternum now, as the feeling of tightness got more intense, 'That would be reasonable... if I had any clue as to whether that universe was even on the damn list.' He shook his head. It wouldn't sound good out loud. 'So, I didn't check the list, but I still destroyed a universe... and then seven Seekers... directly after the King told us not to...'

Error had to focus on breathing in order to maintain a normal rhythm now. 'You're over-complicating this,' He told himself, 'just tell him the truth.'

The truth.

Error's least favourite option.

"Error." Four entered the bedroom, followed closely behind by Cross and Ink. The pair were reminiscent of puppies, perusing Four eagerly and somewhat blindly. 'Eavesdropping' was clearly not a term that came to mind for either.

Error was startled. Pure, panicked confusion led Error's tongue astray. "I didn't mean for- they were just there- I mean, it was a st- he doesn't really think that-?"

Ink turned to Cross, face screwed up in utter perplexity.

"Come again?" Four blankly stared.

"I didn't actively- they were there!"

"Kid, calm the fuck down, I don't know what you're trying to tell me."

Of course, Error only managed more stuttering. At least Four picked up on one thing; Error was frequently glancing at the skeletons in the doorway.

"Go." He commanded. Cross didn't need to be told twice, scurrying back down the hall while Ink bit his lip as if holding back words. "And close the door on the way." Four met Ink's eyes.

The artist looked away quickly, and did as he was told.

"Speak," Four lowered his voice after he was sure the door had closed, "And I do mean speak, not whatever you were just doing."

"I didn't mean for it to happen," Error's voice quivered, "What did I do? Where was I?"

"UnderFell."

"Fuck," Error whispered, putting a hand over his mouth and looking to his side while his other arm was crossed.

"Hey," Four placed a hand on Error's shoulder, guiding him to sit down on the bed just like him and Cross had been for a split second. Error stayed put this time. "It's alright."

Error was speechless. He had never- not once- heard Four speak in such a gentle tone. "What?" His voice cracked.

"I noticed that you took the liberty of putting the void in the collection room. The world is salvageable, you don't need to worry."

"I didn't know what to do with it," Error looked down, thinking back to the small orb that had survived the fight with the Seekers, "I almost destroyed it."

"It's all good. We already sent Reaper and Glitch out, which reminds me- INK!" Four yelled.

A few seconds of waiting, and then Ink creaked the door open. "Sir?"

"Fuck off to UnderFell please."

"But-"

"Now."

"Yes, sir..."

The door closed, and for a few moments Ink could be heard talking to Cross- complaining, by the tone of his voice.

"You left blood all over the collection room floor."

"I'm sorry."

"Are you okay?"

"They shot me, that's all."

Four rolled his eyes. "I didn't realize I needed to teach you how to dodge a bullet with magic. Show me the wound."

"Ink cleared it up pretty well," Error murmured, slipping his hoodie off his shoulder.

"He did." Four examined it, "You'll be fine." He drew the hoodie back over the injury.

"Sure." Error put his face in his hands, elbows resting on his knees. "I'm fine."

Four was quiet.

They were both quiet- until Error drew a shaky breath.

"You need to leave," He choked, keeping his face covered with his arms, "I don't- I'm not... okay," Sniffing, he repeated himself. "I'm not okay."

Four's face fell. What could he say? He cleared his throat. "I... I'm really sorry, kid. I don't know what to say."

"Leave. Please." The smaller skeleton uttered, "You don't need this. Not again."

"I understand how you feel."

"NO!" Error screamed, lunging forward and grabbing Four by the collar, "NO, YOU DON'T!" He let go, expecting Four to react. He remained calm.

"Tell me why I don't."

"I DON'T CARE IF YOU WERE DESTRUCTION ONCE!" He spat, pointing aggressively at him.

Cross poked his head around the door. Error hadn't even noticed, though Four had.

"I HAVE A BOYFRIEND WHO MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M NEVER ENOUGH," Error continued, fury and anguish dancing in his eyes, "I AM THE ONLY DISAPPOINTMENT OUT OF THREE SONS! I DON'T HAVE EVEN HAVE A JOB!" He started shaking again, and his voice began to crack more frequently. "I will never know anything other than the life that I have. All I do is kill and destroy and fight fires that can't be extinguished. At least you went somewhere," He stepped forward, "At least you're one of the big guys now, huh? Was it worth it?"

Four made no attempt to respond.

"WAS IT?" Error launched himself inches before Four's face, "DO YOU FEEL BETTER NOW?" They stared into each other's eyes for a few moments before Error laughed weakly and inhaled sharply, "January eighth, 1807." Error raised his hands, miming quotation marks, "I'm tired."

Closing his eyes, Four sighed.

"Me too. I am so, so tired. All I am is a killer and a liar." Error folded his arms, "How long until you replace us?"

Four put his face in his hands.

"I don't want this anymore!" Error's anger dissolved into a sea of pain. It dripped into his voice, raw. "This," He pointed at his cracked ribs. Four looked up. "This is not my fault! And you get mad at me for not wanting to see a doctor? How would that look, Four? How do you walk into a doctor's and show them that?"

Cross stepped into the room. He didn't say anything, but Error at least noticed him now- though he didn't acknowledge him.

"And those Divinity Seekers? What can I even say about that? They're literally hunting us, I only had to be in UnderFell for about twenty minutes before they found my exact location. And- by the way- they have the multiverse teleportation system tapped, so there's that. They know exactly what universe we're in. So, who knows, they might do me a favor," Error shrugged, smiling mournfully, the corners of his mouth twitching. "They might just come and kill me in my sleep."

The room went completely silent. So silent that they were deafened by ringing in their ears.

Error sniffed, sitting back down beside Four. He sat staring straight ahead, breathing heavily.

Cross was the next to move. He crept towards the bed carefully, mindful of Four. The God did not do anything more than look at him briefly.

So Cross reached for the wooden box that still sat there. He set it back down in between Four and Error.

Turning his head and wiping a lone tear from his face, Error looked from the box, to Cross, to Four, and back to Cross, who nodded and pointed at the box.

He opened it.

Four glanced inside with Error.

"I don't really know what you're going through," Cross cleared his throat, "But I know stress. And I don't cope with it well on my own."

Four clicked his tongue, still staring at the contents of the box. "I... can think of less healthy ways to cope."

When Error made no move, Cross stepped in. "Bowl, blunt, or joint?"

"I haven't smoked a bowl since I was about seventeen." Error smiled weakly.

"Then maybe you should try it again." Cross returned the smile, and set about making up a pipe.

Whilst he did so, Cross looked up at Four and risked asking, "Do you want...?"

Four thought for a moment. He then reached into the box, and withdrew what seemed to be a pre-rolled blunt. "You got a lighter?"

**

"-and I mean, frankly, he could have said something before doing all this."

"I get it, Glitch," Ink sighed, "And I honestly mean it when I say that I don't understand what goes on in his head half the time."

"Nothing normal, that's for damn sure," Glitch said through gritted teeth, carefully taking the soul which floated above Reaper's hand.

"He could definitely be better at communicating." Ink replied, dragging his paintbrush along the floor with one hand, using the other to hold the floating orb.

Reaper remained silent, swiping his scythe through the soul which hovered in front of him.

"It's difficult to describe him..." Ink trailed off.

"Inconsiderate comes to mind," Glitch growled.

"I guess so. I mean, he's not a bad person, he's just..."

"Selfish."

Reaper spun around and made eye contact with Ink.

Ink shrugged. "If you want to call him that..."

"Are you serious?" Reaper laughed darkly, "You're not gonna stick up for Error?"

Ink eyed Reaper for a moment. "Nobody was talking to you."

"He's your damn boyfriend, and you can't even back him up when he can't hear you?" Reaper stared in disbelief. "I bet you went over there and acted super fuckin' concerned, didn't ya?"

"I was concerned."

"No, you weren't." Reaper spat. "You know, I was talking to Nightmare last night, and-"

"Oh, well then." Laughing, Ink stopped painting for a moment, exchanging amused looks with Glitch. "You were speaking with Nightmare. No offense, Reaper, but that poisonous snake will really get into the skull of someone like you."

"What do you mean 'someone like me'?" Reaper heaved his scythe over his shoulder, whacking it into the floor beside Ink. It left a deep mark in the freshly-painted soil, and shaved it of its grass.

Ink tutted, bashing Reaper's scythe out of the way with his paintbrush as he began to go over the mess. "I just painted that part!"

"What did you mean by that?" Reaper repeated, gritting his teeth.

The artist sighed, smiling condescendingly. "You're not the brightest, Reaper. You know that."

"I know I'm not smart," Reaper's fists clenched, "But I know my own mind. Whatever Nightmare told me, I agreed with it because now I'm seeing it with my own two eyes."

"Okay!" Ink replied sweetly, dragging his paintbrush over the end of Reaper's cloak as he sauntered past. Reaper scoffed, pulling up his cloak to see the grass-coloured stain.

Glitch's smile faltered after watching Ink ruin the God of Death's clothes. He lowered his voice ad Ink started to outline a tree in the air with a pencil. "Was that necessary, Ink?"

Ink's smile remained. "He can run back to Geno to get the stain out for him."

**

Error was barely even listening to the conversation happening around him. The sounds they made were muffled and his vision was hazy.

But he didn't mind.

As he lay back on his bed, he spread out and found he was finally able to breathe. The air he drew in smelled strongly of cannabis and was thick and heavy- but he could breathe it. Deeply and slowly.

"-yeah, I know. Error?"

"Huh?" Error sat up slightly, looking thoroughly dazed.

"You are so fucking high." Cross cracked up, snorting.

"No, I'm just..." Error's vacant smile made Cross laugh again, and Four hum with amusement, "I'm chill..."

"So, Four, I gotta know," Cross leaned forward, "Why are you doing this?"

"The same reason you two are doing it." He responded simply, toking on the blunt. "Weed was my poison before whiskey."

"Really?" Error asked, grinning, "Because you seem really attached to your whiskey."

"Well, we all have our coping mechanisms." Four's smile faltered.

"Yeah, not Error, apparently." Cross coughed.

"I do!" Error snickered, "I just bottle everything up and then I have crippling breakdowns!"

"Yeah, but that's not coping. That's just suffering." Four's tone became more serious.

Error shrugged, smile still present. "Works for me. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do, because talking about it makes me uncomfortable, and when I get uncomfortable..." He sighed, face finally becoming more solemn, "I start panicking, and then I run away, and then..." He broke off, staring at nothing in particular.

"That's why weed is so good. You don't have to tell it what's wrong, it just helps anyway." Cross replied.

"As does alcohol."

"Yeah, I'm not convinced," Error said gravely, "Alcohol makes you forget your problems. Weed helps you face them, but it never leaves you in a good position sober."

Four looked between Cross and Error. "Sounds like..." He slipped what he was holding inside the makeshift ashtray that Error had provided (an empty beer bottle), "You'd probably do better at your job without those kinds of feelings getting in the way."

"Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying." Error replied, "Guilt and regret- I'm pretty sure they're the worst things for someone in my position."

"You can say that again." Four eyed him, his fingers brushing against his own chin.

"Whose phone is that?" Cross asked, sitting on his knees as he listened.

"...Mine." Error reached into his pocket. "It's Reaper- Hi Reaper, what's up?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm with Nightmare."

"...On what?" Error asked. His phone wasn't on speaker, so Cross listened intently, trying to hear what was said. Four didn't seem to care at all, producing his own phone, getting up and walking out of the bedroom door.

"Ink. About Ink."

"You're gonna have to do better, Nightmare has a lot of opinions about the guy."

"He's horrible. He just spent a whole half hour talking shit about you with Glitch."

"Talking shit?" Error repeated, "What kind of shit?"

"It's more what Glitch said. But Ink didn't even stick up for you- in fact, he agreed with most of it-!"

"Yeah, yeah, alright- but what was said?"

"Well, they both agreed that you were selfish, and-"

"Selfish?" Error almost choked, bewildered, "That's- What?"

"They also said-"

Error sighed. "Actually, I don't wanna know."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

Cross looked at Error, and mouthed, 'Who?'

Error shook his head, miming for Cross to hush.

"Also, Ink might have permanently fucked up one of my cloaks. I'm not that mad, but it was rude."

"How?"

"Oh, he painted over it with his brush, and then he said I could run back to Geno to fix it."

"Ooh," Error winced, "Yeah, that's not gonna come out, buddy. But that comment about Geno was also not warranted-"

"-And then Ink called Nightmare a poisonous snake, and told me that someone 'like me' could easily be controlled by him."

"He said that?" Error sighed.

"Mhm, ask Glitch- wait, no. I don't think he likes you very much. Hey, how's your shoulder?"

"It's fine. Listen, I'm gonna go call Ink up, okay? I'll get back to you later."

"Okay!"

Beep.

"Ink." Error turned to Cross. "It was about Ink."

"He's been acting real strange today."

"Tell me about it." Error again held up a finger to make sure Cross was quiet as he began to ring Ink.

It rang. For thirty whole seconds. And he didn't pick up.

"Not answering," Error replied.

And then the door knocked.

Cross and Error hurried to the door, Cross perhaps more enthusiastic than Error.

It was Ink, being let back in by Four.

"Hey!" Ink beamed at Error.

Error narrowed his eyes. "Hello."

"Hey, your eyes look a little... big. Are you high?" Ink smiled at him.

"What did you say about me to Glitch?" Error asked coldly.

"Oh," Ink was caught off guard- only for a moment. He then cleared his throat, regained control, and spoke, "Well. Glitch wasn't really happy about you causing chaos at ten at night. But! I did try to defend you!"

"So you didn't call me selfish?" Error crossed his arms, his voice low. "Because that would be rude, considering how much of my life I spend running around after other people, wouldn't it?"

"Excuse me, but what the fuck happened here?" Four interjected.

"Nothing, just Ink shit-talking me, apparently!" Error's low tone quickly escalated into one of annoyance.

Four rolled his eyes, sitting down at the kitchen table and returning to his phone.

Ink sighed, pushing past Cross and walking into the hall. "Come and talk to me when you've stopped being ridiculous," He called.

"Am I being unreasonable?" Error complained to Cross.

Cross shrugged hesitantly.

Just before Error had chance to follow Ink, the front door knocked again. Cross got it this time.

"Error!" Nightmare yelled, pushing straight past Cross, not even acknowledging him in the slightest. Reaper trailed in after, closing the door before his eyes darted between Cross and  Four.

Four watched, saying nothing.

"Nightmare," Error was certainly surprised, "Reaper, what are you guys doing here? I just spoke to you, Reaper, you didn't tell me you were coming?"

"I swear, Error," Nightmare growled, pushing Error against the fridge. Their skulls were inches apart. Nightmare whispered, "I know you've been out of it. I know you're not doing good." He poked Error in the chest, "But I care about you. We both do, Reaper and I, and we aren't going to let you be used by this prick anymore- because that's all he's doing! He's using you!"

"Nightmare, I-"

"Who?" Ink appeared around the edge of the door which led out of the kitchen.

Nightmare let go of Error immediately. Hissing, he lunged forward, fury burning in the shape of purple magic glared in his eyes. "YOU!" He slammed Ink to the floor, punching him square in the face.

"NIGHTMARE, NO!" Error threw himself forwards and out of the door, skidding down beside him and trying with all his strength to pry Nightmare off Ink.

"Fucking hell..." Four put his face on the table.

Cross and Reaper burst out into the hallway where Error still couldn't free Ink. Nightmare was now strangling the artist, choking him with both hands while pinning him down with one knee. "You ASSHOLE! You are NOT going to play mind games with him, I swear!"

Reaper dropped down beside Error, shoving him aside as he now grabbed Nightmare by the waist. He tore him off effortlessly. "Calm down, Nightmare!"

"I WILL NOT CALM DOWN!" He hissed, slapping Reaper's arms away. On the floor, Error had put an arm behind Ink to help him sit up. Ink's face was covered in a purple substance, and Nightmare's pale bones had also been sprayed too. "What the fuck is this?" Nightmare spat at Ink, gesturing to his forearm, which was covered in the purple substance.

"Paint," Ink gasped. He was still coughing, a hand around his neck.

"Then why does it burn?"

"Defence mechanism," Ink choked out.

"Defence- you're gonna need more than that to keep me away, asshole!" Nightmare groaned. "Fuck, that hurts." He muttered.

"Then let's get it off," Cross took his hand gently and led him down the hall.

While the other three stayed in the hallway, they could hear Nightmare talking.

"Thanks- wait, Cross? Why are you here? Four? Jeez, what is going on here?"

"You okay?" Error was now helping Ink to stand up.

"Yeah, I'm good."

Reaper folded his arms and glared at Ink.

"I didn't say anything, Reaper!" Ink jumped to his own defence.

"I didn't say anything either," Reaper spun around and drifted back to the kitchen.

"Your friends are psychos." Ink said, eyes hazed as he looked back at Error.

"They care about me." Error replied. They met each other's eyes for a few moments before Ink's gaze fell. "Do you?"

"Of course I do..."

"Ink, I have to be honest. This isn't working."

Crash.

"What was that?" Error yelled, running down the hall where the noise had come from.

Spluttering, Ink called after him, "What do you mean this isn't working?"

Reaper shoved Ink aside as he followed Error.

In the bathroom, Cross was pressed up against the bathroom cabinet, his own knife pointed at his chest by Nightmare. "That's not how this is going to work, Cross."

"Nightmare, stop attacking people!" Sliding between them, Error raised his hands.

"He tried to tell me I was overreacting. He said that me and Ink could get along if we tried." Nightmare said simply.

"Give him back his knife."

"Error."

"Give it back."

Nightmare glared, but handed the knife back to Cross, who flashed Nightmare a venomous look as he retreated to the doorway. Error stepped aside.

"You know what scares me, Error?"

"Not a lot?" Error sighed.

"No. Not a lot." Nightmare took a step forward. His eye sockets went dark, his pupils losing their purple glow. "But Ink? Half the time, he doesn't feel anything."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean what I said. He told you he loved you right in front of me. He felt nothing."

Error looked back at the doorway. Ink stood, staring blankly, both eyelights turned plain white.

"Nothing," Nightmare repeated, laughing humorlessly, "He can lie to you so easily. I don't care about whether he loves you or not, but think about it! What else can he lie to you about? Hm?"

Error looked at Ink. Ink looked at Error.

"What?" Error said eventually.

"He's a freak!"

"Funny how you come up with that conclusion, and Dream couldn't." Ink replied, unfazed.

"That's a good point." Error murmured.

"Oh, my- Fine! I'm calling Dream!"

And Nightmare did just that.

"Hey, everything okay?"

"No, it isn't."

"What's wrong?"

"Just get your ass over here. Now."

"To yours?"

"No, Error's."

"Nightmare, what is going o-"

"Dream. Get over here. Now."

Beep.

Nightmare hung up on his brother, then turned back to the group.

"So anyway," Reaper emerged again, "Why was Four here?"

"Was?" Error narrowed his eyes.

"Well, he's not here anymore."

"You mean he just left?" Cross muttered, walking back towards the kitchen.

"We need to do something about-" Error waved his toward the group, "-this."

"Not until Dream gets here."

"Fuck's sake, Nightmare."

"He's gone!" Cross yelled.

"Maybe I should invite Glitch round, get the whole squad here." Reaper suggested, a smile forming at the corners of his mouth.

"No." Ink, Error and Nightmare chorused.

Reaper raised his hands, snickering.

"I wanna talk to you," Error grabbed Nightmare's arm, dragging him out of the room. He only let go of him when they were in Error's room, door closed.

"God, it smells of-"

"Pot, I know." Error cut him off, "Because Four was in here smoking it with Cross and I."

"What?"

"Exactly!"

Nightmare stared at Error. "That's... I don't think that's good."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean- sure. Four cares about you, but is he really going to sit there and do that with you guys? Especially since Cross is mortal."

"Well, I guess the answer to that is yes, considering that's what happened."

"Or he had an ulterior motive."

"Like what?" Error folded his arms.

"Well, I'm not him, so how would I know?"

"Nightmare?" A familiar voice called down the hallway.

"Well, he was fast." Nightmare muttered, pushing past Error.

"Nightmare- Nightmare, wait!" Error tripped over a stray wire on the floor from his PC, falling into the door. "Shit- Nightmare!"

"Are you okay? Is anyone hurt?" Dream asked, clearly panicked as he scanned Nightmare up and down.

"No, we're okay-"

"Then why did you need me here so quickly?" Dream was flustered. His cheeks flushed faint gold, and he was slightly short on breath.

"Ink!" Nightmare roared, causing Dream to wince at the piercing volume of his brother's voice.

"What the fuck do you want?" Ink stormed out of the bathroom, Cross following tentatively.

"Ink? Cross?" Dream's confusion was audible.

Ink locked eyes with Dream. The pair stared for a few moments, Dream eventually cocking his head slightly to the left. Ink shook his head very slightly as Nightmare started talking. "Dream. Please, tell me," Dream's eyes were still on Ink as the artist gestured to himself, then formed an 'X' with his hands. Nightmare seemed not to notice. "Do you feel anything coming off this bastard? At all?"

Dream finally looked away from Ink. "From who? From Ink?"

"Yeah."

"Feel what?" Slowly Dream's eyes trailed back to Ink. The artist stared back, eyes wide.

"Come on, Dream." Nightmare stepped forwards, "You must have been thinking the same thing as me!"

"I'm... Confused."

"So am I," Error growled.

Ink remained quiet.

Cross exchanged a confused look with Reaper.

"Error." Nightmare approached him. "I want you to imagine something for me."

"I'm not gonna-"

"Just imagine this for me. Imagine that the Trinity kill off your brothers or something."

"Nightmare!" Error exclaimed, annoyed.

"Just picture it!"

Error sighed, staring off into space for a moment. Though his face remained the same, Nightmare clicked his fingers and grinned triumphantly.

"See? You can feel that, can't you, Dream?"

"Mhm," Dream sighed. "Yes."

"See, Error- a normal person- feels negatively when presented with a reason to feel that way," Nightmare approached Ink. "Ink. I want you to think about someone you love having their soul ripped out and crushed."

"I don't need to do that." Ink replied simply.

Nightmare growled and threw himself at Ink again, slamming him against the wall. 

"Let me go." Ink demanded with a somewhat flat tone.

"Nightmare, stop it!" Dream rushed forward, "Stop!"

"You're being a dick! " Cross shouted.

Error did make an attempt to jump in again, but Reaper held him back. "Reaper, get off me!"

"No. I wanna see this."

Nightmare put a hand to Ink's skull, and his eyelights flared up purple. The artist's eyes widened yet faded. Leaning forward, he whispered continuously, chanting in some sort of quiet rhythm beside Ink's 'ear'. Ink was frozen, entranced.

"This is fucked." Error said hoarsely.

Suddenly Nightmare let go and broke the trance, and Ink slid to his knees, dazed.

The twins both stood over him, identical looks of curiosity spread across their faces

"Nope. Nothing." Nightmare's menacing smirk returned as he turned to Error. "Nothing! He feels nothing."

"Yes, he does!"

Nightmare's smirk diffused as quickly as it had come. "What?"

Dream folded his arms, eyes narrowed as he glared at his brother. "Stop lying! You won't get Error to stop liking Ink over a lie!"

Error now glared too. "Nightmare, you're starting to piss me off, buddy."

"No, I-!" Nightmare looked around the room in disbelief. "Wh-? Nobody- No one believes me?"

"No, because you're lying and I can sense it- both Ink's feelings and your lies!"

"Dream, why are you lying to me?" Nightmare recoiled in offense.

"What?" Dream pulled the same disgusted expression as his twin. "No- what? You're lying to me!"

Cross and Error exchanged bewildered looks. This had never happened before. The twins never got confused about things like these; their detection of emotions was always hyper-precise.

Their expressions remained identical as they began to protest over each other, "No, you're-!"

"Why-?"

"I'm not even-!"

"Why would you do this?"

"Wh- No!"

"Nightmare!" Dream hissed, stepping forward and getting in his brother's face, "You remember our promise?"

"Me?" Nightmare scoffed, how about you?"

Ink pushed himself off the floor, stepping behind Dream. The God of Positivity stared into the eyes of his brother. "We promised never to misuse these powers, Nightmare."

"Yes, we did!" Nightmare stepped forward too.

"Guys," Cross jumped forward, "Look, maybe one of you is just confused-!"

"No," Nightmare refused to break eye contact with Dream. The twins were inches apart, equally venomous scowls set upon their features. "I don't get confused. Not ever."

"And neither do I," Dream lowered his voice.

"Boys," Error cut in, "We've all had a rough time lately, right? We're all a little tired." The twins were shooting daggers at him, but he continued, "Night, maybe you're a little... worn out, not thinking straight?"

"I am fine. And so are my powers." Nightmare gritted his teeth.

"Maybe he's right, Nightmare..." Dream winced, expression fading to one of slight compassion.

"No!" Nightmare looked around the room desperately. "No, this isn't fucking fair!"

Reaper remained silent. He didn't trust himself to get involved; his social skills were limited at the best of times- he really had no idea which twin to trust. Nightmare was his friend, but... Dream was probably the more honest one...

Cross inserted himself between them, putting a hand on each of the twins' shoulders. "Guys, stop! This isn't worth fighting over! What if Dream was picking up on Error's feeling? Or Nightmare's senses were clouded by..." Cross' eyes darted around, "...The tension in the room?"

"That's happened before!" Error's tone was abnormally high pitched as he chimed in. "Yeah, remember that time when you guys couldn't tell whether it was me or Reaper who was upset?"

Reaper found the conversation more relevant to himself now. "Yeah! At Starbucks!"

The twins traded glances. "Yeah..." They looked down.

"Right!" Error pushed on, "Do you think, Nightmare," He nudged him, "That could be what's going on here? Too many people, too many emotions, not a lot of space to differentiate."

"That could be it." Dream nodded.

Nightmare looked at Error. There was no way it could be accurately described- it wasn't hateful, nor was it warm. His eyes were blank yet somewhat unreadable, and his mouth twisted into a downward position that Cross and Reaper couldn't discern. "Yeah." For the first time in what felt like forever, Nightmare's voice was unemotive. Hollow. "That must have been it." Brushing past Error and Cross, he glided towards the door, closing it gently behind him.

"Oh, no." Dream sighed. "He's upset."

"Fuck. I haven't seen him like that in ages." Error muttered.

Reaper frowned. "What now?"

"I'll go after him-" Cross started towards the door, but Error pushed in front of him.

"No. Let me."

"He seems calm enough, I can-"

"Cross," Error held a hand out. "You're trying to help, I get it. But you don't know him like I do. He was not calm just now. What you just saw," Error pointed at the door, "Is Nightmare on the verge of blowing the fuck up." Zipping up his hoodie, Error went after him.

"Nightmare!" Error called, running out onto the street after Nightmare, who kept walking at a moderate pace. "Night!"

"Mm?" Nightmare replied, turning around. His face remained totally unreadable.

"Talk to me."

"I'm okay." Nightmare replied, voice eerily level. He began to walk again.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna just..." Error followed, matching Nightmare's pace. "You'll talk. I know you will."

The pair walked in silence for the better half of two minutes, walking down the street and starting down another.

"I don't believe it."

Error stopped beside Nightmare, saying nothing.

"It's..." Nightmare turned to him, corners of his mouth twitching. "Why is he lying to me? He's my brother. He's my twin. He's supposed to be the first person to have my back. And he's lying to me."

Error nodded, folding his arms. "Mhm."

"And you and Ink," The God of Negativity scoffed, "That's just- well it's a disaster waiting to happen- no, it's already happening! He doesn't care, and it's not that I care about your love life, but I care about you!" He clawed at his skull, groaning, "I care about you, Error! You're like my second brother! And I hate everything that's happening!"

"What specifically?" Error spoke calmly.

"Your pothead boyfriend already has you back on weed! He's already landed you in the hospital! He hates me, and I'm your best friend- I've had your back since we were six-!"

"I know."

"-And he hates my very fucking existence!" Nightmare's voice began to grow exponentially in volume. "And I hate his! But he's so weird! He gives me all the wrong signals- but I didn't wanna say anything else because I care about your happiness and he made you happy!" He dug his fingers deeper into his skull. "Goddamnit, Error, can't you see- he's not making you happy anymore!"

"I'm sorry you feel that way." Is the best that Error could manage.

"You're sorry that... I feel this way?" Nightmare's eyes grew wider. "You're sorry? That I feel-?"

"Nightmare. You seem confused- Ink and I are fine."

Nightmare's jaw began shaking from being clenched so hard- just like his fists. His eyes twitched. He suddenly screeched, swinging his arm at the streetlight next to him, purple magic making it bend slightly on impact. "I AM FINE!" He roared, pointing an accusatory finger at Error, "I AM NOT CONFUSED! MY POWER IS FINE! I KNOW WHAT I FEEL! AND I KNOW WHAT I HEARD! I HEARD YOU IN THE HALLWAY!"

"Hallway?" Error repeated.

"Oh, Ink," Nightmare mocked, snide expression presenting itself, "I don't think this is working!"

Error looked down. "You were in the damn bathroom."

"But you weren't quiet!" Nightmare laughed humorlessly. "Oh, Error! How you piss me off!"

"I'm sorry." Error sighed. "I just want my life to stop... falling apart. I have a relationship, and it's starting to crumble too, and..." He shrugged.

"I have always looked after you." Nightmare approached him, his voice quivering. "I have always done what I've thought was best for you. I know I'm not the kindest, but, My God have I tried to help you."

"I know. Thank you." Error bowed his head, his own voice cracking.

"And I know you're trying to salvage this relationship because it was good. It was healthy. But not every relationship could survive the strain we've all been put under the past few weeks." Nightmare put his hands on Error's shoulders. "You need to let it go. He doesn't love you. And I don't think you love him."

"I do..."

"Do you?" Nightmare locked eyes with him.

Error's eyes were glassy and flitted around everywhere that Nightmare was not. "I..."

"Mhm." Nightmare's hands remained where they were. "I don't care what people think about me. Truthfully, I never have- and you know that. I don't care if Ink hates me. I don't care if everyone in that room hates me- well, I don't have to worry about Reaper. He's loyal enough."

Error couldn't find anything to say.

"You know what- we were fine before this whole group became a thing!" The sudden jump in Nightmare's volume startled Error, "You were fine without Ink! I was happy with it just being me, you and Reaper! I didn't need to get to know Cross! I didn't need him walking into my life and being all mysterious and weird and attractive!"

"Oh. Is this about-?"

"And I certainly didn't need him fucking my brother."

"Wait, what?" Error had forgotten about that ordeal, but the real shock came from the fact that someone had gathered the courage to tell Nightmare about it.

"And the fact that Dream also had the audacity to tell me the morning after!"

"What? Dream told you?"

"Did you know about this?"

"Um... do you want me to say no?"

Nightmare rolled his eyes.

"You know- you are a hypocrite."

Error was not given any other response than a swift slap across his jaw. A meaningful, well-executed slap.

Nightmare turned away as Error rubbed his cheek with a groan. "Night, wait!" He'd began storming back the way they'd came. "You can't deny it, though!"

"THIS ISN'T THE SAME THING!" Nightmare roared, flying back at Error, knocking him straight over. He had him pinned down on the cold concrete.

Error tried to scramble away, stunned. "I'm sorry!" He didn't quite understand what he was apologizing for, though.

"Cross isn't like Ink." Nightmare stated, glaring.

"They're like- best friends!" Error frowned, trying to pry Nightmare's hands off him.

"YOU-!" Nightmare let out a frustrated howl, "YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

"I'm-!" Error was cut off by a punch to his cheek. "Fuck!"

"YOU WON'T GET RID OF THAT TOXIC ASSHOLE! YOU ALL TRIED TO TELL ME I WAS LYING JUST NOW!" He sprang up to his feet. Suddenly his voice dropped to a whisper, his eyes screaming madness, "You tried to convince me that I don't know- but I know!" His rapid tone was unsettling. "I know what I felt- or what I didn't feel!

"You're mad at Ink, why are you taking it on me?" Error caught his breath and pushed himself away again.

"I'M MAD AT YOU! YOU WERE THE CATALYST FOR ALL OF THIS!"

Crack.

Nightmare had stamped on Error's wrist. The God of Destruction masked his pain with a barely audible gasp. "Stop."

"Get up." Nightmare spat, but Error was already doing so. He glanced at the darker skeleton's injury- a small split in the bone ran up his wrist to his forearm.

"I'm not gonna fight you."

"You are really ungrateful, you know?" He stepped forward, pointing. "I'm trying to help you."

"I appreciate all that you've done for me," Error raised his arms, backing away from his advancing friend, "But this is my decision, just like your relationship with Cross is yours."

"There is nothing between Cross and I! I am not stupid enough to make the same mistakes you did!"

Error watched Nightmare carefully. From the corner of his eye, what looked like a black tear began to peak his eye socket, contrasting with his white face. "Calm down."

"I will when you start listening to me!"

Nightmare hardly had chance to blink. Error tore through the space between them in a glitchy teleport and forced Nightmare back against the brick wall in the alley. "Calm down," He repeated, "Your eye."

Hesitantly, Nightmare raised a finger to his eye. He felt the thick substance in the corner of his eye.  "Oh, I'm sorry," His voice venomous, he sneered, "Perhaps you should stop making me so angry." He smirked as from the other eye, a stream of this thick, black, gooey substance emerged.

"Stop!" Error hissed, looking frantically towards his apartment- silently praying Dream would come out to assist.

Alas, he didn't.

When he turned back around, Nightmare's eyes were no longer their gentle lavender hue- but bright, piercing cyan. The substance started to coat his skull, then falling over his left eye, creeping down to his neck. When he spoke, his voice was deeper, echoing and raspy. "I'm sorry, Error. But that Ink, he has to go."

"No-!" Error chased after Nightmare, who began striding back over to the apartment, goop still slowly coating the bottom half of his body. "Fight me instead! You're angry!"

"You just asked why I was taking out on you." Nightmare chuckled, turning around. His body was now entirely encased in the black goop. "And I am angry. At all of you."

"You are not acting right! At all!" Error got in his face, yelling, "Why are you acting like this?"

"I have held in this hatred for him for so long."

"Take it out on me, then! I revoke my statement- do your worst!" Error spun around, taking a few steps back and raising his arms. "Try me!"

"I shall, if you continue to irritate me."

Nightmare's cold, formal manner was unlike him- perhaps only the formality.

"Fine!" Error crossed his arms. "I want you to know that I would appreciate you keeping out of my business a lot more than you helping. And I wish you'd never involved yourself in the things you claim to have helped me with." His voice was mechanical- no emotion, no hesitation.

From his back, four tentacles slithered out- tall and strong, they twitched as if they had minds of their own. "What?"

"You heard me."

Nightmare bared his teeth- contrasting with his blackened face. "How dare you."

The tentacles struck before Nightmare had moved- lunging forward in attempt to curl around Error's body, but he dodged, just receiving a slap from the tentacle instead. In turn, Error teleported away, taking position up on a streetlight where he shot down numerous strings, most of which were able to cling to different tentacles in attempt to restrain them. Nightmare hissed and his tendrils lumbered wildly, snapping some of the strings; only one tentacle remained detained.

Error jumped, landing on top of the brick wall he'd earlier pinned Nightmare to. He watched for a moment as Nightmare's tentacle freed itself after a struggle- how could he scare Nightmare off without hurting him?

Short answer... he couldn't. Not like this.

"Come down here!" Nightmare demanded, booming voice echoing down the alleyway. "Stop hiding up there!"

Disappearance usually meant that one's foe would re-appear behind them- that's what Nightmare thought he knew. But when Error did, he was not behind Nightmare as anticipated.

In fact, Error had remained exactly where he was- teleporting only up into the air high enough not to be seen before coming straight back down to his starting place.

A dirty trick he'd used on Four before. If it had worked on him, it would work on Nightmare.

Before Nightmare could even turn back around, Error had dived down, attaching strings to the nearest streetlight and swinging down on it, kicking Nightmare in the back so that he fell- not to the floor, but he did stumble and trip. "You bastard-!" One furious tentacle wrapped itself around Error's ankle, yanking him down, but Error's strings wrapped around his wrists to pull back toward the streetlight he was connected to. Unfortunately for Error, he misjudged the strength of one tentacle.

It gripped onto him still, causing Error a gasp of pain as his foot cracked, feeling suddenly very limp and weak. Though he hadn't commanded them to, his strings instinctively swarmed the culprit tentacle like ants to a hill, tightening it until Nightmare howled in pain and retracted it.

Error had just enough momentum to swing himself over the top of the streetlight and rest there, his injured foot dangling off the top of the post as he sat.

Growling, his aggressor clicked his fingers. It was as if he had melted- his whole body falling to liquid which moved as a unit, trickling down the street and onto the base of the post, scaling it.

"Shit..." Error's high ground was no longer safe. Teleporting again, he found himself in the air, falling down quicker than he'd like; the floor was his enemy now- he couldn't possibly fight standing with his injury. He took his only viable option- grappling from streetlight to streetlight to keep stay in the air.

But he wasn't out of reach. Nightmare could see he was hurt and discovered his strategy quickly. Once again turning to goo, he spun up around the next light Error would go to- and the pair met at the top as Nightmare solidified. "Hello."

Error didn't have time to react as Nightmare's tentacle truck him across the skull- suddenly he was falling, and he was far too disoriented to tell how fast or where to teleport, and he-

He was on the floor.

Having landed on his previously injured shoulder, Error grunted in pain as he pushed himself up. His skull hurt, his wrist, his chest- but all he had to do was wear Nightmare out, he figured.

"Stay down. I'm going to find that boyfriend of yours."

But he didn't. He found that he was frozen.

Error was sat on the concrete, arm outstretched, fingers pinched. "You're staying here."

And indeed, he was. Nightmare's soul was hovering in front of his body, in Error's magic grasp. "Let go."

"I don't want to hurt you."

The squid-resemblant glared. "Give it back."

"I don't think I can do that." Error beckoned the soul forward, and to him it floated. Nightmare had to follow- the feeling of being separated from one's soul was not a pleasant one.

"You have three seconds to give it back."

One.

Two.

Thr-

"Fuck-!" Nightmare was tackled to the ground by a black and white flash.

"What the fuck is going on?" Cross yelled, knife poised above his head with both hands as he pinned Nightmare down.

"Get out of here, Cross." Error hissed from behind.

"You shouldn't be here," Nightmare spoke over Error, "Fuck off."

"What are you fighting about?" He dropped the knife to his side. It clattered against the street.

"That's none of your business!"

"He wanted to hurt Ink," Error replied simply, glaring.

"Nightmare, you can't."

"DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO!" Cross was cast aside far easier than he was expecting himself to be. A tendril had slammed into his side, and he practically flew, rolling multiple times on the floor. 

Nightmare wasted no time in snatching his soul back- Error's magic had weakened with distraction. With Error's edge over him gone, he whisked the skeleton up with his tentacles, restricting his arms especially, since he knew that Error's fingers were his primary control over his strings. "I don't care what you think is going to happen," He breathed, "I'm going to-"

Swish.

Nightmare roared in pain. He no longer had a grip on Error, but not because he let go.

Because the tips of all four tentacles lay on the floor beside him.

Cross was breathing heavily, standing over Nightmare. His knife has stained with black goo and his eye was glowing red, a target symbol formed. "Get up, Error."

"I don't think I can."

Cross looked over his shoulder at Error, who gestured down at his ankle- which definitely looked out of place. Nightmare remained on the floor, his tentacles writhing and oozing a more liquid version of what they were made of.

"Nightmare!" Dream sprinted over, jumping over the severed ends of the tentacles, "What happened? Why are you corrupt?"

Reaper could be seen scrambling out of the apartment too- but Ink remained back at the doorway, watching blankly.

While Cross and Reaper helped Error to his feet- each putting an arm around him- Dream had began chanting something quietly, holding Nightmare's goopy hand in his own in his own.

"I'm okay, I'm okay..." Error cast aside Reaper's worried questioning.

"Ink!" Cross said as he helped Error step into the doorway, "Um, his ankle- and I think his wrist, right?"

"Mhm..." Error's response came weakly.

He was lowered down onto the sofa by Reaper as Cross pointed out the disjointed bone on Error's leg. Ink wordlessly crouched down beside Error as green healing magic swirled in his palms. Pressing them to the bone for a moment, he finally spoke, "It's not broken. It's dislocated. I can fix it."

Reaper's eyes widened. "Are you sure? Should I call Geno?"

"No, we don't need Geno." Error groaned.

"Are you sure?" He repeated, panicked.

"Yes." Ink and Error replied.

"Well- Someone get the man some painkillers or something!"

"Reaper! I'm fine! Guys, is Nightmare okay?"

"Who cares?" Ink scoffed. "I'm gonna crack it back into place in three seconds."

"Okay, but I care! You know, he's my best friend, and I- AH, SHIT!"

"I warned you!" Ink frowned sympathetically.

"Mhm..." Tiredly, Error leaned back. The pain was not nearly as bad now, despite his skull aching.

"Can we do anything?" Cross gestured to himself and Reaper.

"Not unless you can heal." Ink replied shortly.

"Haha, nope." Reaper stepped back.

"Uh..." Cross waved his hand and his knife disappeared. Rolling his black sleeves just past his wrists, he closed his eyes and focused.

Ink and Error exchanged looks.

Suddenly, Cross drew apart his cupped hands to reveal two glowing green orbs. "Yeah, I think I can!"

"You never told me you could do that." Ink muttered, stepping aside.

"I've never really needed to..." Cross replied. "Uh... where do you want it?"

"Do his wrist. I'll fix up that shoulder again."

So the pair worked quietly as Error tried to relax. Reaper was still on the verge of dialing Geno when two voices could be heard entering the hallway.

"...really need to keep your temper under control!"

"I'm sorry."

"Sure."

"I am!"

"Tell that to Error- not right now! Stay here."

Error sat up and the other two stopped healing. Reaper's eyes widened.

"Um..." Dream cleared his throat, entering the room. "Hi. Nightmare's out in the hall."

"Is he okay?" Error asked.

"He's alright now, I... calmed him down." Dream looked down, as if in shame. "I feel like this is all my fault."

"How?" Ink tutted, moving to his friend's side.

"I..." The God of Positivity looked around for a moment, pausing. He re-evaluated his words. "It just... I shouldn't have let him get so mad, you know? I could sense something was wrong outside..."

"Nightmare," Error yelled from the sofa.

Everyone fell quiet.

"...Yeah?"

"Come here."

It took five hesitant seconds before Nightmare's footsteps could be heard approaching.

He poked his head around the door. His bones could be seen again-though they weren't his usual bright white. They were stained a cloudy grey- Error, Dream and Reaper were all familiar with his bones taking this colour on occasion, the others were not. "Hello."

Error waved him over to the sofa. Though reluctant, Nightmare slowly approached. 

"Out," Error commanded of the rest of them. Reaper was the only one who obeyed the first time, scurrying off into the next room. "Out." He repeated, sternly. Dream grabbed one of Cross' and one of Ink's hands, leading them out.

"I'm..." Nightmare tried to find some words- any words at all. "I'm not- I don't- Well, I-"

"I get it."

"Huh?"

"I understand." Error spoke calmly, looking Nightmare in the eyes. "I know that you don't like him."

"Well, yeah, but-"

"I'm sorry about what I said." Error cut him off, "I'm really, truly sorry. And I do mean it when I say I lied. I wanted you to be angry at me instead of Ink because I was scared you'd hurt him. I truly appreciate everything you've done for me over the years."

Nightmare folded his arms and looked down. "Yeah, I... sure." He still lacked his words.

"What's wrong?"

"Hm?" The God of Negativity halted.

"You never get so mad so easily. What is it?"

The skeleton shut his eyes tight, as if Error and his question would disappear if he couldn't see them.

"Come sit down," Error propped himself up so that there was room next to him.

He obeyed. 

"Talk."

"I'm- it's not like I- I really don't- it's-" Nightmare gave up and groaned, punching his leg in frustration when his tongue failed him yet again.

"Stop." Error sighed. "Think. Breathe."

Nightmare didn't like being lost for words, but he despised being vulnerable more than anything in the world. And right now, he felt it for sure - what with Error's eyes set intently on him, and the sense of guilt setting in.

That and the fact that he never felt anything less than pathetic after transforming from his corrupt to passive form. It was as if he'd had his very divinity stripped from him every time it happened.

"I don't... know. I'm so angry, and I don't even know why..." Nightmare trailed off.

"You do. You hate Ink."

"No-! I mean, I'm angry all the time lately. And it's really hard to hold it in."

Error said nothing, watching him closely.

"I'm sorry, Error." Nightmare sighed. "I don't think my powers are acting up, though! Yeah, we're all tired, but- but I have never not been able to detect an emotion I've actively been focusing on detecting!"

"So that's what set you off?"

"I guess!" He waved his hands wildly, "It's so- unlike me! It would never happen!"

"I don't know. I can't detect feelings, so... I don't know which of you was wrong."

There was a solemn silence. It lasted at least thirty seconds before Nightmare looked back at him and said, "You can't do this right now."

"Do what?"

"You don't have the energy to listen to my problems."

"I never said that!" Error protested.

"Shh!" Nightmare jumped up, hushing him. "You're too tried, aren't you?" He didn't sound offended or even accusatory.

"I'm... A little tired, yeah."

"You're drained, and you're uncomfortable with the way things are going right now."

Error met his eyes, gazing at him quizzically as he rested his chin on his knuckles. "Why are you looking so deep into this? Into me?"

"Drained, upset, confused," Nightmare clapped his hands together, "Uncertain, numb, frustrated, anxious-!"

"Stop!" Error groaned, shaking his head and burying his face in his arms, "You know I hate when you do this!"

Nightmare's eyes lit up as he sprung forward. "But I can feel it! I'm not lying to you- see? I can feel everything."

Unimpressed, Error glanced up, his mouth still covered by his sleeve. "You're still trying to prove that my boyfriend just doesn't have emotions?"

"Not that specifically- moreso that I am not wrong."

"You asshole." Error leaned back against the arm of the sofa, "I wish I didn't feel."

"No, you don't."

"I do!" Error stuck his arms up. "I do, because then life would be so much simpler! We could get on with our jobs without having to worry about what we might feel later- and not just that, but everyday stress- gone! You get me?"

"But then you can't ever feel happy again."

"I haven't felt happy in a long while."

Nightmare smiled at first, assuming Error was joking. Then he saw Error's solemn face. "Oh." Not really knowing what else to do, Nightmare clicked his tongue and suggested, "Do you want a hug?"

Error almost cracked a smile. "I hate you." And still, he leaned into Nightmare, and the pair embraced. Loosely, and somewhat shakily, but it was an embrace nonetheless.

Having his skull resting on Nightmare's shoulder, Error's view was of the kitchen door. It was all he could really see. But out the corner of his eye, he could have sworn he'd seen something in there- which was fine, it was probably just one of the guys.

Except he also could have sworn that they'd all gone down the hallway.

And nobody else save for himself had a black, skeletal arm.

The door was cracked open just enough for him to glance at the kitchen table. There was a person, he could see it. But the black arm was met by another arm- a white one, but they were coordinated so well that as the white hand held down something on the table, the black hand seemed to write with what looked like a golden fountain pen.

"Nightmare," Error whispered, letting go of him while never looking away from the hands in the kitchen. A tsunami of dread flooded his soul. "Nightmare, am I psychotic, or is King Multiverse in my kitchen?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MINI RANT ALERT

You have NO IDEA.

NO.

FUCKING.

IDEA.

HOW HARD IT IS-

TO WRITE 9,500 WORDS OF STORY WHICH:

-Happen in the same hour or two

-Happen in the same setting

-Have six alternating characters which you constantly have to remember exist

-Contain two character breakdowns

-Contains a fight scene which has an IMMEDIATE forgiveness scene

So you're probably thinking "OH BUT BROOKE WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF?!?!"

Because PLOT, GUYS.

I needed this all to happen the way it did

Admittedly I wrote this all very quickly and because I hate this version of this book I'm being a bit sloppy now, I must admit

I do want to rewrite it but I'd lose all my readers AHA

anyway. im sorry it was so rushed. I just want to get to the next chapter so we can make all this shit that happened relevant.

yes, im aware this chapter was boring. my bad guys.

also it was badly written. so is the whole book.

rant over.

--------------------------

So. You guys still keeping up with the plot?

No?

Me neither tbh.

Thanks to all who joined the Discord and got involved in the decision making for this chapter! <3

https://discord.gg/UExZC4acvC

So. I introduce a new character next chapter.

WHO COULD IT BEEEEEE

im so tired and i still have to edit this piece of shit. later guys. (update, i have edited it but not very well please ignore how bad it is)

̷p̷l̷e̷a̷s̷e̷ ̷j̷o̷i̷n̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷d̷i̷s̷c̷o̷r̷d̷ ̷i̷ ̷r̷e̷a̷l̷l̷y̷ ̷n̷e̷e̷d̷ ̷p̷e̷o̷p̷l̷e̷ ̷t̷o̷ ̷m̷o̷t̷i̷v̷a̷t̷e̷ ̷m̷e̷ ̷b̷e̷c̷a̷u̷s̷e̷ ̷i̷ ̷g̷e̷n̷u̷i̷n̷e̷l̷y̷ ̷c̷r̷i̷e̷d̷ ̷w̷r̷i̷t̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷s̷ ̷b̷e̷c̷a̷u̷s̷e̷ ̷o̷f̷ ̷h̷o̷w̷ ̷m̷u̷c̷h̷ ̷i̷ ̷h̷a̷t̷e̷ ̷m̷y̷ ̷w̷r̷i̷t̷i̷n̷g̷

-Brooke

im too tired to think of anything to put in the white space.

head empty, all i know is that i think the reason Error and Nightmare both had breakdowns was because of me. sorry boys </3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 874 13
Ink, the God of creation who feels nothing. Error, the God of destruction who feels too much. Fate's chosen child and cursed abomination. When a b...
59.6K 2.5K 21
Looking for a creepy place to play games, Nightmare brought his friends to an abandoned mansion, ignoring the rumors about it being haunted. It didn'...
45.7K 1.3K 20
This is my first story so my apologies if it is trashier than the multiverse itself. This story is also very inspired by other people so don't flame...
118K 4.5K 22
(Inspired by @harrish6 book "Healing What Has Been Broken") (Previously known as I Can't Let Go...) Error is the Forced God of Destruction. Ink is...