,wallflower' • BRIDGERTON

By spookyjoji

hope buckingham dear gentle-readers, a new pretty face has entered the gates of london... will the desperate... More

• character •
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30

chapter 1

6.2K 125 3
By spookyjoji

【1】

SUNSHINE.

For a moment that's all Hope could see, and it was... sunlight. The hot hissing rays nearly blinding her completely till she was left utterly vulnerable. It was like the sun was insulting every fiber of her being and gave her no sense of mercy.

It was four years ago, the day Hope's life had changed. She'd been living with her father alone since her mother dropped her off on the porch stairs of their estate. Her father never told her much about her mother, just that she was arrogant and cowardly when it came to motherhood.

Hope was never one to live in comfort, either. She was raised being a hair above lower class, so she's had to work for what she wanted a lot harder than anyone else. She was also taught that she needed to be reserved, closed—like an uninteresting book someone left on a bookshelf, never to be touched again.

And she was content with that... maybe.

Her life changed when her father arranged for her to live with the Bridgertons, who were known for their captivating looks. In all honesty as soon as she met them she felt like she stood out like a sore thumb, or she was incredibly washed out from their pretty porcelain colored skin and rosy cheeks.

Her father sent her off to find a husband of worthy status and riches. Hope obliged because she adored her father, and if she could provide him comfort by marrying for riches then so be it.

Her black carriage road through the roads of London and she peaked through the side windows, noticing pedestrians watching her choice of transportation. Again, she wasn't exactly rich, so her carriage was rusty compared to the others in this side of London. The carriage slowed down before coming to a complete stop in front of a beautiful three story brick house. It was surrounded by other houses that were likewise, it was like it's own town.

Hope's heart jumped up a beat, seeing her carriage door open revealing a foot man with a beige tail coat and a dramatic white wig. He extended his hand for Hope to take—she gulped.

"Ms. Buckingham." He addressed her politely.

She adjusted her dress, which was beige and had tiny red rose's embroidered on it. Hope took the man's hand and stepped out of the carriage to see the Bridgerton's all lined up at their front door, most held smiles but some held serious expressions. Hope smiled nervously before walking up to them all.

She bowed graciously. "It is very nice to meet you all, my father sends his thanks for letting me stay here until further notice." She said, looking at the Viscountess, Mrs. Bridgerton—the well renowned widow. The woman before her smiled warmly before bowing as well.

"I know your father had his reasons, but I am honored to provide you housing. Please—meet my children." She said, signaling to the heap of children behind her. A little boy and girl ran up to her with excited grins, they looked to be at least 8 years of age. The girl had curly brown hair that was pinned up into pigtails and she wore a pretty pink dress.

"We are very happy to have another girl in the house." She said. The boy nudged the girl in the elbow. "She is very happy to have another girl in the house." He said, followed by a roll of his eyes. The Viscountess pulled the children away with an embarrassing grin.

"Don't run the girl away before she's had a chance to unpack her things!" She says.

"This is Hyacinth and Gregory."

Hope extended out an arm in defense. "Do not worry, I am accustomed to this. My town had lots of children running around the place, trust me—this makes me feel more at home." She grins, before a girl with strawberry red hair approached her and bowed.

"I am Daphne, pleasure to make your acquaintance. You are a ruby, truly." The pearly white teeth she had sparkled as she greeted the woman. Hope smiled shyly, she has never been called ruby before. If felt flattering but... unusual in a sense.

There was man who looked a bit older than Daphne who approached her, he had a round face and kind eyes. "Colin. Very nice to meet you." He said. A man nudged Colin out of the way with a playful smile.

"I'm Benedict Bridgerton, the better, more favorable Bridgerton to be more specific." He said, grabbing Hope's hand softly and placing a chaste kiss on her knuckles. The siblings all scoffed. "Brother. Do not embarrass us, please." A more serious looking man stood behind Benedict, he looked to be the eldest out of them. His jaw was clenched as his eyes landed on Hope.

He seemed to radiate a kind of dominant energy you could either love or hate.

"I'm Anthony." He said simply. Hope gave him a soft nod, suddenly she saw a girl standing boredly on the stairs of the porch. "Pleasure. Now mama can I please go back to doing anything else?" She said with a sarcastic grin. Mrs. Bridgerton rolled her eyes before signaling for everyone to get inside.

"Supper is nearly prepared. Everyone inside.."

She pointed at the three eldest sons.

"Help her with her luggage please, and bring them to her bed chambers. Darling, let's get some sustenance in you, I know you have traveled so far." She said, aiding Hope as she entered their home. Hope nearly dropped her jaw as she was greeted with a huge ballroom with wooden floors and cream colored walls. It looked smaller from the outside, how was this possible?

"Your home is... breathtaking. I never knew houses could be built this big. Your home is not what meets the eye." Hope chuckles excitedly. The woman next to her smiled softly before shrugging her shoulders, "It holds a lot of fond memories here, but nothing is compared to our original estate back home." She says, almost as if she was reliving those memories. Hope glanced at Mrs. Bridgerton.

"Now, your bed chambers are up these main stairs, and then you turn to your left and it's the first room on the right side." She said before scurrying off somewhere. Hope sighed comfortably, knowing that she was going to adore it here. She went up the long stairs that were just too big to be real. She suddenly stopped once she got up to the second floor.

There was a picture on the wall of the entire Bridgerton family, the painting captured their attractive but innocent looks. These were all of the people Hope just met, they looked greatly noble and accomplished, Hope couldn't help but stare.

"We just had this painted, but once we get another family portrait, you'd represent the Bridgerton's this season." She heard Benedict behind her which made her turn. He had a soft smile on his lips before it turned into a cheesy grin. "Best of luck on avoiding the mama's." He said before walking towards where her chambers were held.

Hope sighed, she knew that she'd have to deal with the ravenous mothers who desperately wanted their daughters to marry this upcoming season. And she knew that she'd gain jealous enemies when she was called upon.

If she was called upon.

Dear gentle-readers,

A new pretty face has entered the gates of London... will the desperate mamas try to rip her from the arms of the rich bachelors of the season? Or will she remain a single, humble, second born? In my, oh-so-humble opinion ... this ruby in a bank full of diamonds will blossom into a fine young lady.

But, that all depends on if she can catch the eye of a suitor, as well as the Queen.

Lady Whistledown is rooting for you... Ms. Buckingham.

four years later

Hope was now a fully grown woman, and it was her first season of the year. Mrs. Bridgerton believed that Ms. Buckingham should be comfortable at the estate, before she is thrown out to the rabid dogs.

There was a tradition every season that the Queen would pick her her diamond. A woman who was the fairest of them all, everyone knew that whoever was chosen would be deemed more desirable to all. Hope and Daphne were both searching for a suitor and they were both about to visit the Queen. As all of the eligible girls this season are.

Hope walked out of her room, wearing a white dress with gold trimmings. Her curly hair was pinned up in a braided bun, diamond hair pins were decorated within in. Two strands of hair adorned the frame of her face. She breathed in, she knew that meeting the Queen was like being sent to court. You had to be deemed innocent or guilty, or in these circumstances, diamond or no diamond.

Hope walked down the wide hallway, she straightened up her white silk gloves.

She passed by a recently updated family portrait, she was painted to stand just beside Colin, she wore a burgundy red dress and her hair was pinned up as always.

Benedict, Colin, Gregory, Eloise and Hyacinth were all downstairs in fancy suits are dresses, waiting for the two ladies of the hour. Benedict rubs his temples. "Are they still not ready?" He said. Eloise walks up to him with an irritating expression meanwhile Francesca stood next to Colin, crossing her arms.

"They've only been readying themselves the entire night." She comments. "You mean their entire lives." Eloise comments with a huff.

"I shall run upstairs and see what's the matter with Hope, her heart probably stopped beating with nervousness. Perhaps it will hasten at least her along." Colin said, making his way up to the main staircase.

"Colin, wait. I'll do it." Benedict said, walking with him.

"She likes me better than you, Benedict." Colin commented with a sense of confidence.

"Did she say that?" Benedict asked with a raised eyebrow. "Everyone says that." Colin said. The boys always had a quarrel on who Hope appreciated most, since she was practically their eternal guest they'd have to treat her with the upmost respect. But, mostly they'd treat her like how they would treat a friend.

Eloise groans before stomping her foot.

"DAPHNE! HOPE!"

No one moved, you could nearly hear the air shift. "YOU MUST MAKE HASTE!" She screamed before she turned to look at her brother's with a sarcastic grin. "Should you think she heard me?" Benedict shrugged his shoulders before looking off to the side, scratching the back of his neck.

After a couple of seconds Hope and Daphne appeared from the hall and walked down the stairs. Their long white dresses dragged behind them as they walked down, the servants giggled softly. Hope nervously glanced around, once she was where the rest of the siblings were she was quick to straighten the puffed sleeves of her dress. She frowned uncomfortably.

"How on Earth do people wear these things every social season?" She said, Benedict approached her side and faced away from her, putting out his arm. He grinned. "May I?" He said. Hope stood still, looking at Benedict before she strained a smile. She held onto his arm and they made their way outside.

Everyone went outside and they could spot other young girls with white dresses and gold trimmings file out of their houses with nervous mama's at their side. Nervous but also competitive looks we're shared between them all, even though they hid them behind sweet smiles and pearl necklaces.

Their carriage was right in front of the entrance to their home. Benedict aided Hope into the carriage as well as his sister, Daphne. He turned to look at his mother who gave him an irritated expression. "Any sign of him yet?" She asked, knowing she was awaiting her eldest son, Anthony. Benedict sighed before putting on black leather gloves.

"Should your brother wish to be obeyed as Lord Bridgerton, he must act as Lord Bridgerton. Where is he, Benedict?" She asked. He straightened his jacket. "I do not know." He lied, he knew his brother was shacked up with a mistress, of course. But, he couldn't tell his mother that.

They traveled to this huge creme colored palace that had tulips where the eyes could and could not see. The carriage stopped just at the entrance and she stopped out of the carriage, her eyes skimmed over the landscaping, her eyes nearly stayed permanently on the estate itself. A soft smile adorned her lips.

"Anthony! You are here!" She heard Daphne say behind her with made her turn her head. There stood Anthony, messy hair and flushed expression. Hope knew he had to have been doing "extracurricular activities". He wouldn't have been late unless stated otherwise.

"Of course I am here, Sister. I'd never miss such an important day for the two of you and my family." He said. Mrs. Bridgerton fixed her diamond bracelet. "No you would just be late for it." She said.

Hope tilted her head playfully. "Doing... what exactly?" She said, knowing Anthony wouldn't answer her. Benedict walked up behind her. "Extracurricular activities, I suppose. I once read that blood flow in the hips works wonders for the nerves." He slyly comments, making Hope and him chuckle. She covered her mouth, hiding the widening smile that just wouldn't falter.

"Hush." Mrs. Bridgerton said, which made the two of the cough awkwardly.

Anthony gave them both a deathly glare before he held out his arm for Daphne to take. "Shall we?" He said. Daphne grinned before holding her mother's arm as well as her brother. The walked towards the open doors of the palace. Colin approached the two with a sigh. "You two are insufferable as always." He said.

"We are on our best behavior, right, Benedict?" Hope said, standing completely still. Benedict nodded his head like he was soldier ready for battle. The two boys held out their arms and Hope took them both and they escorted her inside.

Dear gentle-readers,

Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen.

May God have mercy on their souls.

After nearly suffocating in a room full of girls two years younger than Hope, it was finally time for her to present herself to the Queen. She had put a tall white feather in her hair that stood like a flamingo in a body of water.

The Queen sat proudly on a red velvet throne, she had nearly six luxuriously dressed handmaidens by her side. She looked to be already bored and uninterested, a smug expression sat snug on her face. "Miss Prudence Featherington, Miss Philipa Featherington, and Miss Penelope Featherington, all presented by their mother, the Right Honorable Lady Featherington." The announcer just beside the closed doors that led into the room.

Tons and tons of people from all over town watched as the doors opened, revealing three girls with flaming red hair. Two of the girls had nasty expressions except for one. The three girls walked down the open area that led right towards where the Queen was stationed.

Once they we're up there you could already tell they were terrified. Murmurs could be heard from a mile away. They bowed graciously but their intense mama judged one's stance so she pushed down their shoulder, making their bend deeper. The Queens face turned nasty and she shooed them away without a second thought.

The all stood before one of them stumbled onto the ground, passing out. The attendees all gasped.

Once the area was cleared from unconscious redheads the next lady in waiting was announced. "Miss Daphne Bridgerton, presented by her mother, the Right Honorable, the Dowager Viscountess Bridgerton." His voice was muffled behind the closed doors. Hope stood just behind Daphne with Colin on her right, she was right after her. She breathed in slowly before looking at the red head in front of her.

"The Queen will have her diamond of the season, Daphne. I promise you." She smiled warmly. She could see Daphne's eyes look to her side, a grin worked it's way on her pink lips. She looked forward before the doors open and she walked alongside her mother and kept her head leveled.

The attendees all gawk at her looks, Daphne was a hair above being angelic.

Once she stood in front of Her Majesty she bowed gracefully before standing straight. A silence rang through the room and the Queen examined her before she stood onto her feet, with the help of a handmaiden, she approached Daphne before cupping her face softly and placing a chaste kiss on her forehead.

"Flawless, my dear." She said. Daphne's eyes practically twinkled at her comment. She bowed once one more as the Queen went back to her seat. She turned to look her mother, holding in as much excitement as she could.

"Did that truly just happen?" She whispered.

"Keep smiling, dearest. They are watching you... now more than ever." Her mother said quietly, the two of them both exited, whispers could be heard from ever man, woman, or even child. A silence nestled before the announcer cleared his throat.

"Miss Hope Buckingham, presented by her household member, third eldest son Colin Bridgerton."

The doors open revealing Hope and Colin attached by the arm. A soft smile was on her lips as she made her way towards the Queen, her heart beat like an annoying drum. Her eyes stayed on Her Majesty because if she looked anywhere else, her anxiety would skyrocket.

Once she stood in front of the Queen she let go of Colin and bowed deeply, the gold necklace just above her bosom twinkled. Her head stayed low and she kept herself in a bowing position. She squeezed her eyes shut and breathed out, she heard nothing but silence.

And she hated it.

Before she knew it she felt the softness of silk go under her chin. She opened her eyes as her head was tilted upwards slowly, she looked innocently to see the Queen above her. She couldn't believe it, there was not a nasty expression at all, she was free of it.

"My, my. I may have to choose the diamond of the season... but you are a ruby beyond recognition."

That's all she said before she went back to her throne. Hope's body was still, she couldn't believe it, the Queen called her... a ruby beyond recognition. Not only did Daphne Bridgerton catch the Queen's eye, but so did her sister-from-another-mister, Hope Buckingham.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 1K 13
Elizabeth Windsor and Anthony Bridgerton despise each other with a passion, but a turn of events lands them to form an agreement. They would help one...
1M 28.1K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
41.3K 996 46
Why does love always seem to breed where it is forbidden? That is a question Benedict must ask himself, as he finds himself developing feelings for...
278K 7.3K 41
Elizabeth Sheppard Has never been one for traditions. She is smart, artistic, and has a bad temper. She is a girl who is cultivated by the love stori...