The Maze Runner Brothers

By RubyRoundhouse17

Thomas and Edward are sent up into the maze together, unable to remember anything apart from their names and... More

Cast
Entering the Maze
Welcome to the Glade
We're Brothers!
Ben's Banishment
Into the Maze
A Night in the Maze
The First Girl
The Clue inside the Griever
The Girl Teresa
A Night in the Pit
A Possible Way Out
The Brother's Adventures in the Maze
Alby Remembers
Attack on the Glade
Regaining Memories
The Ultimate Decision
The Fight to Freedom
The Flare / Gally's Death
Edward
Two Young Boys
Something Stranger
Finding Answers
Escaping
The Mall of Cranks
Ruins and Memories
The Lightning Storm
A Bargain and an Attack
Bridges and Tunnels
Another Chase, Another Group
Sweet Moments
The Crank City
Rescues
The Right Arm
Reunions, then Attacks
WICKED Wins!
Hope
Amelia
Jerry
Stephen Sr.
Danielle
The Non-Immunes
Love and Comfort
The Last City
Reunions
The Father's Box
Goodbye Grievers
Sneaking into the City
The Plan: Teresa
Sneaking into WICKED
Reunited at Last
Is it too Late?
City Chase
Final Words from Father to Sons
The Final Showdown
The Safe Haven

The Strange Compound

282 6 2
By RubyRoundhouse17

Hello. Sorry for taking long. Hope you all enjoy this chapter.

"Thomas? Thomas! Tommy wake up!"

Thomas woke up. He saw Newt's head towering over him with a desperate hand clutched to his shoulder. "Get up! Come on!"

"What? What's going on?"

"We're here!" Minho's voice echoed.

"We've arrived!" Teresa shouted.

"Where?!" Thomas didn't get an answer. Instead, he was pulled up by Newt and Minho just as they felt the helicopter they were was landing. They were ushered out of the flying vehicle.

It was dark outside and soldiers were shouting at them to get inside a giant compound standing in the middle of the desert. Thomas saw guns firing out into the dark but what were the soldiers firing at. Just then he remembered someone.

"Ed. Edward!" he turned around and tried to run back to the helicopter but the soldiers grabbed a hold of him. "Let me go! That's my brother in there!"

"He's fine!"

Thomas didn't believe him. Peering over their shoulders, he saw the doctors lifting a stretcher with Edward still on it. His eyes were closed and he was unresponsive. Thomas tried desperately to get to him but he felt a new pair of arms pull him away.

"He's alive!" Newt argued. "Now come on! We've gotta get inside!" he pulled Thomas towards their group as they rushed into the giant building where two large steel gates were closing.

As Newt pulled him away, he turned his head and saw the doctors pursuing them as they carried Edward. They entered through the doors and Thomas sighed in relief when the doctors got right in with his brother's unconscious body.

Everyone around him panted with exhaustion. Newt, Minho, Teresa, Winston, Chuck, Frypan...and the dozen boys who had survived the maze with them. They were safe. For the time being. Thomas looked ahead of them. They were in a colossal compound with machinery and many strange men. Thomas held his breath. What had they gotten into now?

He turned again to his brother. He saw the doctors lifting him onto a rolling bed. They had placed an oxygen mask over him and he was being rolled away.

"Edward," he tried to run after him but Newt held him back. "Get off me!" he struggled to break free.

"He's alive," Newt ushered. "He's going to be fine,"

Thomas saw there was no point in arguing. He wanted them to disappear around the corner. He stood still, ignoring Newt's comforting hand on his shoulder.

Teresa approached them. "HE's gonna be okay right?"

"He will," Newt said positively. "These guys saved our lives. They'll save him too,"

"I hope he still has a fighting chance," Chuck said. He was crying a little.

"He will Chuck. He has to," Newt hugged him to comfort him.

"Hey guys..." a soldier came up to them. "Why don't you follow me?"

The Gladers gave glances at one another.

"It's all right. You're perfectly safe now," the man assured.

The Gladers decided to trust him and followed after him. But Thomas stayed where he was looking off to where Edward had been taken.

"Come on," Newt gently nudged him forward. "He'll be fine,"

Thomas went along with him but remained as quiet as a mouse. The group of boys and one girl followed the soldier to a giant room behind a steel door where to their delight they saw a table of food. The sight made their mouths water and their appetites ignite; they hadn't eaten anything proper in days.

"Eat this food. You must all be very hungry. You'll be moved somewhere in a few hours but for now, eat and rest," the soldier instructed.

Instantly the teenagers sprinted toward the table and devoured the food. Except for Thomas who looked behind and saw the man close the door. A throbbing feeling gave his skin goosebumps; he didn't know why.

There was meat and vegetables and salads. No one could stop eating anything. Thomas however, who sat between Newt and Minho didn't touch a single crumb.

"Come on Thomas. You should try and eat something," Teresa from across from him said.

"Teresa's right Tommy. You're gonna need your strength," Newt failed to convince him. "Come on. This food is delicious and we haven't had proper food for days,"

Thomas didn't move.

"He's going to be fine," Chuck said. "Newt said it so himself,"

"I should be in there with him," Thomas said.

"You really wouldn't want to," Newt said.

"No. I made a promise to him that I wouldn't let anything to him. I can't break that promise. Not after..." he paused.

The three closest ones stared at me.

"After what?" Newt asked curiously.

"Nothing," Thomas shook his head.

"Uhh...it's not nothing," Chuck correctly implied. "You can tell us, Tom,"

Tom raised his head. "I had this dream....on the helicopter. When I fell asleep,"

"Do you remember some things?" Teresa asked.

"Not much," Thomas shook his head. "I don't want to talk about it now," he grabbed a piece of bread and started munching on it so that he wouldn't speak. He stayed quiet for the next hour whilst everyone gorged on their food. They sat down on some seats and boxes to rest after all they had been through the day before.

Thomas was the quietest. Newt never left his side. He just stayed beside him to give him comfort. So did Chuck.

An hour after their meal, the doors opened revealing a tall man with greying hair, bristles, and a pair of rat teeth. He gave Chuck the quivers so Thomas gave him his hand.

"No need to be afraid," the man assured. "Follow me,"

Trusting him, the group followed him back into the compound.

"I am the reason you're alive and I intend to keep it that way. You can call me Mr Janson. I run this place. For us, it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes,"

"That means you're taking us home?" Thomas asked.

Janson shrugged. "A home of sorts. Sadly, there won't be anything left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge outside the Scorch where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?"

The teens were speechless.

"Why would you help us out?" Minho inquired.

"Let's say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target as no doubt you've noticed," they came to a door with the sign 'main access' printed on it. "Beyond this door is the beginning of your new lives," he slid his card down a panel and a screen glowed green. The door slid up.

"Mr Janson..." Thomas spoke up. "Where is my brother?"

Janson stared at him.

"I assure you...your brother is in safe hands. My surgeons through this corridor just got to do some operations and then he'll be as good as new. Now time to do something about that smell,"

To their delight, there were showers and piles of new clothes to change into. Teresa was given her own bathroom, say her gender. All the boys barged into the washroom, tore off their clothes and wet themselves under warm water.

Thomas on his own took off his dirty, sweaty shirt. He reached over to touch the scar on his back. That mark would forever be a reminder of the dangers, the horrors he had faced in the Maze. With his brother. Before taking off his pants, he reached into the back pocket and pulled out the pendant he had found in the Maze.

The letters N + T sent a strange tingle up his spine every time he looked at them. Like they were sparking a memory long buried in his mind. He didn't know what strange feeling lit up in his chest but whatever it was, it was powerful. And it felt almost as if he had been reliving it again with someone. He tied the pendant around his neck and entered the shower and washed.

After ten minutes of scrubbing and soaking himself, he stepped outside. He was the lost boy again. He dried himself with a wet towel and dressed in some dry clothes. It felt good to be wearing something clean and then dried his hair. Once he was ready, he just wanted to stare at the white marble walls hoping whatever memories had been triggering in his mind on that helicopter would reflect off the shiny surfaces.

"About time you were ready," Newt's voice spoke from behind him.

Thomas was a little shaken. "How long have you been standing there?"

"I just came in," Newt narrowed his eyes. "I see you're wearing the pendant you found,"

Thomas felt embarrassed. "Oh my sorry. I was going to take it off,"

"No. Keep it on. It looks good on you,"

"It looks good on you. I don't think she... or he would mind,"

Thomas accepted. "Okay," Truthfully he was glad but he didn't know why. "I see you're wearing yours too. And that locket half,"

"No way was I going to part with these," Newt said.

"I'm sure we'll come close to finding whoever gave you your pendant and your sibling. I bet they'll be very happy to see you,"

Newt was touched. "Come on," They walked outside and saw everyone else waiting for them. Some looked annoyed.

"What took you long Thomas?" Minho asked.

"I had my mind on things," he said.

"Thomas...would you relax?" Teresa argued. "Edward will be fine,"

"It wasn't about him,"

"That what was it about?" Minho nosily questioned.

Thomas was quite uncomfortable. Luckily Newt walking right next to him stepped up. "I don't think that's any of our business," he argued. "Let's just let him be. He's been through a lot. And so have we all,"

They entered a large white room with medical items and running machines and hospital beds. Doctors awaited them.

They were taken to seats to get injections, and some blood samples were taken. They were also given requests to run on machines to test their stamina. Thomas had just been given an injection when a young man came up to him. He had a stiff but strong posture like Janson and he had short black hair and plain cheeks. "Would you follow me please?"

"Sure," Thomas stood up and slowly followed him out. He turned around to see everyone's faces to let them know where he would be. He saw Teresa on a bed behind curtains, Minho running on a machine, Chuck getting given a drink, and finally, Newt, who would be injected with a serum. His dark eyes on him made him feel safe and reassured.

Thomas followed the man down the hallways to a small room at the end. The man opened it with a card. "Here. Janson will be with you shortly,"

Thomas entered taking into his new surroundings. The door closed behind him. It was locked. He sat quietly inside the square-shaped room in front of a desk. The door opened revealing Janson who entered, carrying a file.

"Thomas, thank you for seeing me. Sorry for the inconvenience; I was just hoping we could have a few moments to chat in private, away from the others. Well, I won't take up too much of your time. I may only have one question. What do you remember about WCKD? You're not in any trouble; we're just having a conversation. I'm just trying to understand.

"Understand what?

"Whose side are you on?" he demanded.

Thomas held his breath for a second. And then answer. "I remember I used to work for WCKD,"

"I take it your brother worked for WICKED too," Janson said next.

Thomas gently clenched his fist.

"Relax. No harm has come for Edward I assure you. I just want to know about the two of you,"

"We both did," Thomas regrettably said. "I remember that they sent us into the Maze. I remember us watching our friends die in front of us. I'm on their side," his last sentence was bold and firm. He regretted his past but now he wanted to be who he was now.

"Interesting. You say you both worked for WCKD, but they sent you two into the Maze. Why would they do that?" Janson questioned.

"I don't know. Maybe you should've asked 'em before you killed 'em all," Thomas answered.

"Do you remember anything else?" Janson continued interrogating him, lacing his fingers together.

Thomas was speechless.

"Do you remember what your past life was? Before you worked for WICKED? Do you remember your family? Mum? Dad?"

Thomas wanted to answer, but his head's instinctive voice told him no. "No," he shook his head.

Janson wasn't surprised. "Very well," he stood up.

"That's it?"

"For now," he answered blankly. "Now...you and your friends have been cleared to join the others," he opened the door.

"Others,"

All Janson answered to that was, "You'll find out. Soon you'll be moving onto greener pastures,"

Thomas stood up slowly and walked out, feeling Janson's eyes pressed to his retreating back. For some strange reason, he felt very nervous. And he didn't know why. He encountered the young man again and he led him further on to a pair of large blue doors at the far end. The young man opened it. "Your friends will be waiting for you," he said a little emotionlessly. His tone made Thomas tingle again. Nonetheless, he entered, finding himself inside a massive cafeteria where there were numbers of boys and girls eating around tables. He scanned the room to look for his friends.

"Hey, Thomas!" Chuck came running up to him. "Thank goodness. Come on this way," he grabbed his hand. "You're not gonna believe this. But we weren't the only Maze,"

"What?" Thomas asked.

"They were sent into Mazes and then they had to find their way out just like us. Come on!" Chuck pulled him over to a table where their friends were. Teresa however was missing. Thomas sat between him and Newt.

"How'd it go with Janson?" Newt asked.

"Oh, he just...asked some questions. Not that big of a deal. Nothing really happened,"

His words weren't exactly swaying Newt.

"There was this big loud explosion," a boy across them named David said. "And then these guys came out of nowhere. They started shooting up the place. It was intense. They pulled us out of the maze and brought us here,"

"What happened to the other people? The ones you left behind in the Maze?" Newt asked.

"I don't know," David answered. "I guess WICKED still has them,"

"Were there monsters in your maze too?" Thomas asked. "And did you have to crack codes?"

David stared at him. "Yes," he answered. He was a little flabbergasted by Thomas's question.

His answer made Thomas feel very guilty. But Chuck consoled him, facially reminding him he was not the person he was before the Maze anymore.

"How long have you been here?"

"A couple of days," another boy answered. "That kid over there has been here the longest," he pointed to a lonely boy on a lonely table wearing grey with a hood covering his hair but his face remained visible. "Almost a week. His Maze was full of nothing but girls. Some guys are just lucky,"

Thomas stared at the boy. He narrowed his eyes. He had seen him before.

Janson appeared into view. "All right everyone you know the drill. When I call your name, you come up and line in an orderly fashion," He called out a list of names. Then people walked up to them. None of the Gladers was called up. "All right that's everyone for now,"

Everyone still sitting down groaned.

"Now don't get discouraged. There will always be tomorrow. Your time will come. Go on. Eat up,"

Thomas and his friends watched Janson and all the kids walked through a shiny pair of compound doors on the other side of the cafeteria.

"Where are they going?" Minho asked.

"A farm of sorts. They can only take a few people at a time," David said.

As they talked, Thomas saw through some windows, Teresa walking beside his brother on a hospital bed. He had an oxygen mask over his mouth and some tubes. "What the hell?" he shot off.

"Tommy?" Newt called after him.

Thomas tried to walk through an open door but a soldier stopped him. "Hold it right there?"

"Where are you taking my brother and my friend?"

"Your brother just needs some final check-ups and your friend just needs a few more tests. You'll be reunited with them later,"

Thomas was unsure.

"It'll be all right Tommy," Newt promised, coming to his side. "Come on. We'll see them soon," Thomas turned to him, still anxious as ever. "I promise," Newt's face was sincere with soft eyes.

After they finished their meal, the Gladers were escorted to a giant compound bedroom with bunks.

"Dibs on the top bunk," Minho leapt onto the first top bunk he could see.

Chuck climbed up and laid down. "This is much comfier than a hammock," he relaxed.

Newt and Thomas watched together as everyone got into some bunks. They saw one was left.

"So, you want top or bottom?" Newt asked.

"You pick," Thomas insisted.

"Okay. I'll take the top,"

"Be my guest," Thomas gestured to the bunk ladder and Newt climbed up. "Hey, Newt? I just wanted to say thank you,"

Newt stared at him with a confused face. "For what?"

"For keeping me reassured,"

"It was nothing. I would have felt the same way too. Now, why don't you get a bit of rest? I'm sure Edward and Teresa will be with us very soon," He climbed up the bunk and Thomas laid down under the bunk underneath him.

For some strange reason, he loved sharing a bunk with Newt. He didn't know why. It was just some feeling long buried in his head. He tenderly touched the pendant that Newt let him wear around his neck. He loved wearing it. For a third time, that feeling gave him vibes but for a third time, he couldn't recall a single memory in his head that could explain why.

That's Chapter 22 done. I hope you all enjoyed it. I would love to hear your opinions if you have any. Will be back very soon with the next chapter. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 295 38
When the Greenie came up into the Box, none of the Gladers expected them to be a girl. But when unusual things started to happen, some of the boys s...
2K 24 21
Eight months after The Last City fight, the gladers find their home in the safe haven, safe from WCKD. Everyone had found their mental peace, everyon...
2.2M 59.8K 42
❝But now I know that wherever we are, or whatever we're doing, we'll always have each other.❞ You woke up in the Maze two years ago with no memories...
85K 1.5K 31
Skylar got sent up to the Glade the same way everyone else was sent up. In a moving box. There are three things different about her though, 1. She's...