𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔗π”₯𝔲𝔀𝔀𝔦𝔰π”₯ β„œπ”²π”€...

By vonize-Arie

Shut Up & Listen book FOUR. "Why doesn't he want to play with me anymore?" The question this twenty somethi... More

π•Ώπ–π–Š π•Ώπ–π–šπ–Œπ–Œπ–Žπ–˜π– π•½π–šπ–Œπ–Œπ–Žπ–˜π– π•­π–”π–“π–Š
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: main cast
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: supporting cast
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch01.2, homecoming
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch02, what's thicker?
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch03, woke him up
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch04, lovesick
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch05, try me
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch06, wtf
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch07, feelings don't understand time
𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch08, the beast is loose

𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch01.1, homecoming

989 24 9
By vonize-Arie

ch01 : homecoming
part 1

<sade>

Sunday
june 5,
Around noon

𝕾𝖆𝖉𝖊́ sat in the drivers seat of the silver Ford Taurus listening to Dame's enthusiasm over the coming day. He was eager, but she saw drama. "I don't know about this shit, Dame. You sure you ready to just throw yourself in?" She asked him.

"What you think, Georgie?" He turned around to see his three year old daughter in the backseat, "I just here to play with Mani. Tha's my bestie."

"Yeah, whatever. Y'all trippin'. This only our first family reunion. And I haven't met most of them. So, I'm kinda excited. And y'all need to be excited too. Know why?" He asked.

"Why?" Georgie asked.

"Well, Georgie did you know daddy has a sister?"

"Nope. What her name?"

"Aajané."

"Her same last name to you?" The three year old asked.

"Nah, her last name is Lovejoy, now." He responded.

"That's cute! Can my name be love and joy?" She gushed at the name causing Sadé to laugh.

"Baby girl, you don't like our last name?"

"I guess. It's the same as Grandoll so. That's still cute too." Georgie reasoned. "Why I didn't see her before?"

"You know what? I haven't seen her since she was your age. So me and you are going to meet her together. Are you excited to have another auntie?"

"Only if her can dress. Because my auntie Chey can dress so cute and so do my mommy sister. So she have to be cute like us."

Sadé shook her head at her daughters banter. "You want McDonald boo?" She asked her.

Georgie snapped her head dramatically, "I thought we wasn't gone eat fast food no more? That's what you was saying to Aunty Chey!"

"Girl, stop listening to me on the phone. You want a happy meal or no?"

"I'll pass. I just eat at the barbecue."

Sadé shook her head again, laughing at her daughter. "Chile, we ain't raising her right. Obviously because she don't know that you eat before the cook out!"

Dame laughed too.

"You want McDonalds?" Sadé asked him.

"I'm not really hungry."

"See, you not helping my case at all." She complained, then looked at him, " You just nervous. I'm making both of y'all eat. I don't want to hear nobody complaining about how hungry they are later." She said, pulling into the long drive-thru line. "Is Cole gone be there?"

"I mean, he was invited. But, I don't know if he'll show."

"Was your friend invited?" She asked, referring to Dame's girlfriend.

"It's a family thing. I'm attending with my family." He said, motioning between her and Georgie.

"I already told you, I don't really mind. That's your girlfriend. You need to start inviting her to stuff."

"I mind though. I respect you and my daughter. And so does she."

"Okay, but at some point, y'all gotta admit that is a serious thing. Right. It's been like two years since y'all been official. If you decide to marry her, how is that gone work?"

"IF I marry her, she'll be family. Then, it won't be an issue anymore."

"Welcome to McDonalds, go ahead when you're ready."the woman at the restaurant yelled through the intercom.

"You don't owe me nothing, Dame" she assured him.

"The baby in the car, Sadé. You know she pick up everything. We can talk later, Aight."

Sade cruised along the bridge as the crossed the Detroit River. "Look at the water Georgie." She cooed, driving slow enough for the three year old to take it all in. Moments later, they were passing the clock at the entrance of Belle Isle. The next five to ten minutes were spent driving around the island, road after curve after backway after dead-end until they finally found where they were supposed to be meeting the rest of the family.

The three of them sat in the car eating their burgers and fries with all four of the doors open. It was a hot day—98 degrees. Dame watched people pull up to the lot. He saw no familiar faces except for some he recognized from the photo albums in his grandparents' house. Then, he saw Lonnie pull up with an unfamiliar guy and Jah in the car with him. He tensed up. The last time he'd seen Lonnie was, well he couldn't remember. But, when he saw him, he thought of everything that went down that summer, including Cobe being killed.

"Sade." He said, still watching the three men across the lot. She followed his gaze. "You think this is a mistake introducing Georgie to all this so early?"

"She don't have to know everything, Dame. Just that it's her uncle."

"He killed people, Sadé." He said as low as he could, fearing his daughter still may be able to hear him, he turned the radio up a bit. "He a monster. It's like, I hated how Maverik treated him when it came to Reese, but now I feel the same way about my kid being around them. And I know that shit ain't right." He shook his head. All his excitement had gone down the drain. Instead of butterflies, he was feeling something tugging at his insides. "I feel like I gotta shit." He mumbled, watching the three men make their way over to the shelter. A few people got up, greeting them with smiles and hugs.

He looked at his daughter sitting in the backseat. "She deserve to live a life ignorant to all the evil shit in this world. I don't want her to grow up as fast as I had to."

"Just don't overthink today, aight? It's just a lil party with a few bad people but mostly good people with good intentions who are excited to see you after all these years. And, you're getting to see Aajané for the first time since y'all was kids. Don't let that nigga ruin shit for you. And I mean not one muthafucking thing— he already took enough from you. Don't let him take your joy too."

"Period." Georgie added from the backseat.

Sadé's mouth fell agape, lookin at Georgie. "See, she just be all up in grown folks convos. We gotta get her some damn ear plugs." She laughed.

"Cole here." He exclaimed, looking at the big blue bronco across the way. He stepped out the car and leaned down so only his head was peeking into the car at his baby, "I'll be right back, baby." He said, kissing Georgie on her forehead.

He heard his name being called behind him, but he kept walking as if he didn't. He knew who's voice it was. He knocked on the window of Cole's truck and got in. "Yo, pull off real quick." He urged Cole, seeing Lonnie waking across the lot. As Cole pulled off, he texted Sade to take Georgie to the park on the other end of the island until he got back.

"We gotta talk, real quick."

Cole narrows his eyes at his brother, "okay?"

"I like this new shit. When you get it?" He complemented the brand new Outer Banks Ford Bronco they were riding in.

"It was a gift from a partnership I did with Ford last year."

Now Dame was narrowing his eyes at Cole. "I ain't been able to catch up witchu since the accident."

"Who said it was an accident?" Cole laughed, looking over at Dame realizing he wasn't laughing. "I'm just playing, damn."

"What happened?"

"It really was an accident forreal though. I been clean for a minute. I was clean for about a year by then. But I ain't know I wouldn't be able to try the same shit, you know? What I was doing before was too much for me not having done it in so long. They said that's what causes a lot of overdoses. Niggas relapsing not realizing that their body basically did a hard reset."

"That's what they said in rehab?"

"Yeah. How you been though? That Sadé in the car?"

"Yeah, her and the baby."

He nodded. "You told her yet?"

"Nah, I don't really think it's her business."

"How not?"

"Nigga, can we just talk about something else." Dame resisted with a sigh. Cole watched him for a moment before changing the subject.

"You know what they say about Comas? Like how some people live a whole other life and some people are conscious the whole time but just can't move or talk?"

"Sure." Dame responded, distracted by his thoughts.

"I ain't experience none of that shit. I was in a coma for five days."

"Okay?"

"I felt like I went back in time. It felt like a dream though."

"What you dream about?"

"That summer after my pops died. Really the whole year up until Lonnie got jumped and Cobe got shot. I relived the whole thing. But I wasn't just seeing it from my side. I could see everything that was happening. Like, it was some shit none of y'all told me was happening. I don't know what the fuck else was real, but everything that happened for me that year happened exactly the same. So, I think everything else was real too."

"Shit."

Cole nodded. "Hell yeah. It kinda felt like I read niggas diaries or some shit. Or like I was watching y'all from a distance like the CIA." He chuckled lightly. "It was very eye opening. Yours was the most interesting."

Cole watched Dame for a reaction, "I don't think I ever realized how much you was going through on top of everything I was putting on you, Dame. I was high as hell most of the time, but I can't even blame it on that. I should'a known better than to think just cause you was calm that you was straight. I missed Georgie birth because I was on some bullshit."

"You missed her birth because you were heartbroken and depressed. I ain't ever trip over that."

"It don't matter. I should'a been there for you. And how I acted about you and your pops at first was dumb as hell too. You always there for me and I don't always reciprocate or or appreciate you enough for it."

Dame looked out the passenger window silently. It was a few minutes before either of them said anything else. They'd parked and found an empty place by the water. They sat together on the grass, this being the first time they'd been in each other's company in the last year or so. "Remember what I told you?" Cole scrunched his eyebrows. "What you I told you the day you we came home from our birthday trip." Cole nodded, remembering. "Well, it wasn't exactly what happened."

"What you mean?"

"I told you Lonnie was dead." Cole nodded his head. "Well, I lied."

"What you mean, nobody lies about niggas dying?"

"Aight, I know it's fucked up." He said, looking Cole in the eye. "He was close to it. He got fucked up pretty bad. When he got discharged, Uncle Mac and Maverik made him leave the city. He been gone ever since."

Cole still hadn't said anything. He just stared at Dame as he spoke.

"Cole, I'm sorry I ain't tell you the truth. He wasn't supposed to have contact with anyone here just in case they were being watched or something. You know, for safety. Jah said it was better for you to think he was dead and Uncle Mac agreed." He kept trying to explain more of the situation to persuade Cole that it was all in his best interest, but Dame could feel the energy shifting between them. "It's been a few years, and everything seems to have calmed down so Uncle Mac is letting him visit. He gone be at the cookout today." He mumbled. He just knew Cole was about to fly off the handle. But, Cole didn't over react like Dame expected. He barely got the words, "Fuck you." out.

"I had to swear not to say anything to you." Dame shamefully defended himself.

"So it's them over me now?" Cole asked lowly, hurt evident in his voice.

Dame shook his head, "Them niggas don't play, Cole. I'm not part of that world and neither are you. I lied to you to keep you from ending up like Cobe. It's all love, Cole. I'm always gone do right by us, you just gotta trust me."

"How you tell me to trust you in the same breath as a lie?" Cole asked, shaking his head at his older brother. "I don't care about a whole lot no more, Dame. But that shit right there?" He shook his head, walking away. Dame didn't follow him. He sat at the edge of the water contemplating the damage he knew he'd caused.

Over on the other end of the island, Sadé was on the phone with Holly while watching Georgie go up and down the jungle gym. "Yeah, I'm at the park near the giant slide. I don't mind watching Mani too if you want to bring her over so Georgie don't have to play with these random kids."

"Okay, I'll bring her over. I got some popsicles in this cooler in the trunk for them. Is it alright if she has some?"

"Yes, and I need one too. Out here sweating up a storm. I'm trying to see if Cheyenne gone bring Rosie down, but Little got a baseball game this afternoon. I told her she could stay with me while she take him to the game, so we'll see." She informed Holle, referring to Three who had 'rebranded' himself as Little C rather than Three as he got older and became more fond of his father.

"Girl, she probably trying to find an excuse to avoid this awkward ass cook out. Shoot, I wish I had a baseball game to go to!" She laughed. "Where's Damon? He over there with the guys already?"

"Nah, him and Cole went off somewhere. They'll be back over there in a few minutes."

"Oh okay, we'll I'm passing the horse statue right now so I'll see you in a few." She said, and they hung up. Just seconds later, her phone rang again. It was an upset Dame.

He began talking immediately saying, "Sadé. I really fucked up."

"What happened?"

"I had to tell him. I didn't want him to get caught off guard, seeing him today. But, fuck. I should've told him way back when."

"You want me to talk to him?" She asked only getting a sniff as response. She could tell he was holding back tears. "Hold on, I'm about to call him." She said hanging up and immediately calling Cole. He answered right away, "Cole. Where you at? I just talked to Dame."

"Fuck Dame. He a fucking liar. He sat in my fucking face multiple times and lied to me. You know how many times I was crying and shit and he felt comfortable to keep lying in my face and got the nerve to act like he did some good fucking deed? Just lying like it ain't shit. And he do shit like this and want to say shit ain't change between us. He a fucking hypocrite and I'm tired of his bullshit! I'm not coming back. Fuck him and his dumb ass family."

"Cole listen. I hear you, for real. And you're right. That's real fucked up that he let you believe  your friend was dead. Okay? I been said that shit was wrong, but he say he had a good reason for it and I trust that he did."

"So everybody knew but me? Alright." He laughed, "See this shit so fucking  funny. So y'all had me out here looking like a dumbass. Y'all so fake, dawg. I swear to God, fuck all of y'all. Fuck y'all cuz y'all always trying to play me like I'm a fucking kid or some shit. I'm 'bout grown as hell and every single one of y'all lying to me like I'm three."

"Cole, just come back and we can hash everything else out afterwards."

"Fuck no." He hung up. She rolled her eyes knowing Cole was coming back despite the theatrics. He probably never left the island in the first place. She smiled big seeing one of the twins walking up with a stroller.

"Kalil!" Georgie screamed, running across the playground to meet her uncle. "What are you doing here?" She asked, holding his hand while they both walked over to where Sadé was sitting.

"Mommy! Look!" She yelled, looking up at her favorite uncle. How she could tell the difference between Kalil and Kwame amazed Sadé because she's still confused herself.

"Hey Twin!" She exclaimed, getting up to hug the teen.

"What's up, Sadé." He smiled before being pulled away by Georgie.

"Girl! Ditch these babies with the twins and come get something to drink with me!" Holle yelled, walking down the path to Sadé. "You will never believe, I saw a drink truck. Like an ice cream truck but with liquor." She said, excitedly.

"Girl, we can drink for free at the cookout."

"I ain't tryna go over there just yet. I guess I'll just sit my little self over here with you and watch the kids. You doing alright today?"

"Yeah, it's a nice day so far. Regardless of the drama."

Holle nodded, "That's good. My day ain't been nothing but drama. I had to fight to get the baby today. It's supposed to be Maurice weekend but that dummy picked up an extra shift. Like, why would you do that when I told you I ain't a damn babysitter. Then, iLeah mother calling me talmbout, what she going over there for if her daddy ain't there. Like bitch! Reese ain't her only family. I swear, this the problem with teenaged parents. They mommas and daddies think they supposed to be raising the babies too. Nah, they figured out how to make a baby they can figure out how to raise them too. Give them the space they need to figure all that shit out themselves!"

"I know that's right."

"By the way, I love what you did with baby girl hair. That's beautiful."

"Cheyenne did it. Sis is talented. Georgie never sits still like that for me. That's why she always got a lil ponytail with bobos when I do it!" She laughed.

"Well she needs to get in Imani's head. I want her to get some black girl styles." Holle nodded excessively.

"Ain't ILeah and them Black?" She looked at Holly with big eyes.

"You wanna tell them?" The two of them burst out laughing.

"Ooooh you wrong for that!"

"Hey, I just tell it like it T.I. Is. Honey."

Sadé jumped up out of her seat, grabbing Georgie quickly, "Oh my God, what they doing?" She exclaimed, looking at a large group of people not ten feet away from them. They were getting louder and rowdier by the second.

"Hell nah. Boys!" Holle yelled as the two of them quickly approached the twins and the girls. She urged them to pack everything back into the car and they left the playground finding their way back to the lot where the cookout was taking place.

"And that's why I don't do the hood any more. As soon as I could afford to leave, I  never looked back. I'm too old for that shit now."

"We'll buckle up, honey. You bound to see a couple more fights 'fore we leave." Sadé added, leaving Holle as the two of them parted ways to their separate cars.

Cole came over to the car offering to help with the babies when they arrived at the spot where everyone else was. "You good?" Sadé asked him, getting the diaper bag out the car. She looked at him noticing he wasn't looking her way at all. She followed his gaze and saw that he was looking at Lonnie who was huddled up with his two brothers and two other men. "You going to talk to him?"

He didn't respond, he just looked away. "You need me to carry anything?"

"Nah, I got it. But, Holle has a cooler in her trunk she might need help with." He nodded and walked over to where Holle was parked. Cole's absence was quickly replaced with Dame's body. He stood beside her watching the same group Cole was just watching. "You better apologize to Cole. He's really hurting, for real."

"He don't care nothing about an apology. Just gotta let him vibe through it."

"Y'all nigga's weird, I swear." She rolled her eyes. "He just got back from rehab, stupid. You know what vibing through it really means for him?"

"Aight. Alright. I hear you."

"Do you?"

"Fuck, Sadé. Yes, I hear you. I know I fucked up, alright? I shoulda told him sooner, but that's irrelevant right now. Imma fix it, just not today."

"I'm just saying, I think this lil 'reunion' gone be harder for him than it will for you, now."

"Where is Georgie?" He asked, looking for an escape route.

"Over there with the twins. Cole over there too."

Holle replaced Dame, watching him walk over to where his daughter and niece were. "If I've learned anything about them boys, it's that they got each other through anything. I've seen Damon drop a lot of things that were important to him  just to be by his brothers' side. I mean even for Maurice and the twins. He always puts family first."

"Yeah, but which family is he putting first?"

Holle sighed. The two women rested their backs on the car with their arms crossed, looking over the scene of the cookout. Over at the grill was a group of men. There stood Maverik and Cliff and behind them were their eldest sons and nephews. They were watching the lot waiting for the rest of the family to roll up.

"I know you fucking lying." Sammy stood up from the picnic table. "Nah, somebody tell me I'm tripping. I know that ain't who the fuck I think it is." His eyes were just about bulging from his face. He stepped back, shaking his head. We paced back and forth near the end of the table.

"Carti. Get up. Look over there. The nigga with the cooler."

"Hell nah, man." Carti stared in disbelief, hitting his brother's arm in excitement.

Sammy started laughing hysterically. "Who y'all looking at?" Jah asked, standing up with his cousins. "Who?"

"I know that ain't who the fuck I think it is." Sammy repeated. "Is that Luke James?" He asked lowly. "What the hell?" He asked, looking around. Lonnie stood up, looking in the direction the other three men were. The name struck him. "Yo, what is he doing here?"

"I don't know." Lonnie mumbled and Jah looked at him.

"Y'all need to chill the fuck out. That's just Cole ugly ass." Jah said, annoyed at their excitement over the man.

"You a hater." Sam defended.

"How I'm a hater."

"Oooh, chill guys it's just Cole." Sammy mocked him.

"And he called him ugly?! Nigga, you ugly." Cartis added, not even looking in Jah's direction.

"Yo momma, nigga." Jah replied.

"Ya daddy, bitch." Cartis yelled back.

"Your Bald Headed granny, bum."  Jah retorted, "And that's Dame brother." Jah changed the subject, turning back to take his seat. "Get used to his annoying ass if y'all gone be staying in town."

"The fuck he do to you?" Sammy asked, looking at the disdain Jah carried on his face for the celebrity. "Oh shit, he coming over here!"

"Be cool, Sammy." Cartis put his hand on his brothers shoulder while they watched Cole walk over to where they were. He sat the cooler down on the table and turned around. The entire table grew quiet when he approached. He looked at them and they looked at him until he turned away to walk back to the car.

"I was this close to him." Sam said, putting his two fingers together illustrating the closeness. Cartis sucked his teeth and returned to his seat at the table.

Jah laughed at Sam's enthusiasm. "Y'all embarrassing as fuck." Jah complained, staring down Cartis and Sampson. "Too old for that shit, man. And Sammy you way too fuckin' big to be spazzin' like that over somebody."

"Ayo, chill bro." He heard from across the table. Jah's youngest brother, Makaveli was watching him intently, assuring he'd stop bothering Sam. "It's all fun, my nigga. Have fun."

Jah waved him off. "You been out for five minutes talkin' 'bout fun."

He bumped his forearms to Lonnie , "What's his problem, yo?" Makaveli asked Lonnie, who hadn't been paying them any mind for the last several minutes. He followed his gaze and saw he was also stunned by this, 'Luke James' character. "So who is this man anyway?" He asked nobody in particular. "He like a celebrity or something?"

"He a singer." Cartis told him. "He fire too. Old school rnb vibes, for real. We gone have to put you on to the finer things in life now that you free, Veli." Carti added.

He nodded, now also watching Cole as he crossed the grass with another cooler. This time he was followed by the twins and the girls. Dame and Sadé appeared right after them. "What's good, Cole?" Maverik asked, walking towards Cole, his hand out for dap. Cole didn't respond except by clasping hands with the older man. Mav put his hands up, "what, you ain't speaking to me, now?"

"What's good, Mav. How you been?" He asked dryly, looking around noticing everyone was now staring at the two of them. Mav nodded, "I been aight, Cole. It's good to see you healthy. Look like you picked up a lil weight too. That's good, man. You look good."

Cole nodded. "Feel good too."

"That's what's up. I'm proud of you." He nodded, bringing him in for a bro hug.

"Thank you, Mav. I really appreciate it." He smiled, standing at the table beside him. He then mistakenly made eye contact with Jah who waved him over. "What's good?"

"I got some number one fans for you over here." Jah rolled his eyes at his own words, putting his hand up pointing at his cousins, "You got Sammy and Carti over here fangirling over yo ass. They up here visiting from where ever the hell they live." He shook his head.

He dapped them up and went through the usual meeting fans routine. They took a few selfies and then Jah pointed across the table. "This my brother Makaveli. Makeveli, this is Cole." He watched Lonnie while introducing Cole. Lonnie had a stoic expression which was hard for Jah to read.

"What's up, bro? I ain't know y'all had another brother." Cole greeted Makaveli.

"I been locked up for a minute, Yo." He laughed.

"Oh word? Me too." Cole laughed. "Lemme stop. It's good to meet you." He dapped him up. Now he was standing right beside Lonnie. He hesitantly put his hand out and Lonnie, equally as hesitant, dapped him up. "How you been?" He asked, lowly. Lonnie just nodded his head. The two of them looked at each other for a few moments. Until Cole looked away. "Aight, Imma catch y'all later." He said loudly enough for everyone to hear before jogging back to his car. He left promptly without objections from anyone.

"Aaaalright." Cliff looked around, wondering if anyone else felt as awkward as he did about that exit. "See we got a lil tension around here somewhere." He said, gripping Lonnie's shoulders, smiling hard. If there's nothing else he loves doing, he was going to tease Lonnie.

"Where's my wife?" He asked, checking his watch. "So you're Dame?" Cliff asked Dame who was standing off to the side with Sadé. "I don't even know why I had to ask. You're a spitting image of your mother. I'm ya uncle. Everybody calls me Cliff. Me and ya pops is play cousins." He stood with his hands on both of Dame's shoulders, taking in his appearance before bringing him in for an old school hug. They hugged for a few moments before Cliff let go. "Damn, it's good to see you nephew." He nodded.

"This is Sadé." Dame said, holding her hand, "She's my baby's mother. That's the baby over there. Her name Obadiah but we call her Georgie."

"Hmm."

Sadé laughed, "I wanted to name my first child after my grandfather and Damon wanted her to have his name too. So, instead of giving her two last names, we made it her middle name." She nodded, "Obadiah George Craighead." Dame and Sadé said at the same time. They laughed.

"I like it." Cliff nodded, approving of both the name and the chemistry he was witnessing. "I can't wait for you to see Aajané, Damon. Luna would be so proud of y'all." He nodded with his hands in his pockets, "all three of you." He added. He walked back over to the grill where Maverik was standing and checked his phone. "Evis Ann said they 'bout five minutes away." He announced.

tbc
op:04.18.22
rp:04.24.24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301K 10.5K 35
Down-low, bi-curious thug, Delontae "Smutt" Williams, has had curious thoughts about sexual activities with the same sex for quite a while. He comes...
445K 4.2K 6
Butterfly gets her heartbroken but finds romance again, with Isaiah who lives on the wrong side of the tracks. --- Twenty-three years old, Butterfly...
4.5K 271 25
Warning: Mature audiences only. "I love you," he whispered seductively in my ears sending chills throughout my entire body. I was more than in love...
94K 5K 26
πŸ”ΈPart Two of Texas Rollercoaster..... Jaysean got a little southern piece of mind when he was shipped off to Texas. He was sent there to get his act...