Rhythm of Heartbreak

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul with one fervent desire: to bind herself to Shaun forever. She dedicates herself to... More

Prologue: Inner Turmoil
Chapter 1: Meet Jess Lynn
Chapter 2: Cracks of the Present
Chapter 3: Tension Building
Chapter 4: The Raw Betrayal
Chapter 5: The Aftermath
Chapter 6: A Glimpse of Talent
Chapter 7: The Talent Scout
Chapter 8: The Audition
Chapter 9: The Task at Hand
Chapter 10: The Debut
Chapter 11: The Bootcamp
Chapter 12: Magnetic Interlude
Chapter 13: Music and Party
Chapter 14: Under the Spotlight
Chapter 15: The Duet
Chapter 16: The Confrontation
Chapter 17: Awkward Encounters
Chapter 18: Complicated Dynamics
Chapter 20: The Drunken Kiss
Chapter 21: Songs and Lyrics
Chapter 22: Conversation and Chances
Chapter 23: Regrets and Heartache
Chapter 24: Good News, Bad News
Chapter 25: A Heart Divided
Chapter 26: Fleeting Moment
Chapter 27: Unspoken Desires
Chapter 28: Into the Storm
Chapter 29: Tangled Melodies
Chapter 30: The Portrait of the Fallen
Chapter 31: Shattered Illusion
Chapter 32: Shadows from the Past
Chapter 33: The Dilemma
Chapter 34: Unraveled Secrets
Chapter 35: Entanglement
Chapter 36: Shattered Reflections
Chapter 37: New Beginning, Hidden Wounds
Chapter 38: New Place, New Connections
Chapter 39: Serenade and Shadows
Chapter 40: Farewell and Finality
Chapter 41: Echoes of Redemption
Chapter 42: The Healing
Chapter 43: Mending Hearts
Chapter 44: Facing the Spotlight
Chapter 45: Rhythm of Love

Chapter 19: Harmonies and Discords

163 6 3
By avidnovela

"What are you doing on my floor, Shaun?" Jess asked, stepping out of the elevator with a suspicious tone. She wondered if Rick had seen him.

Shaun, caught off guard by her attitude, tried to stay calm. "I was waiting for you," he said smoothly, though he was uneasy.

Jess raised an eyebrow. "And why would you do that?"

"Because we still have a song to finish," Shaun explained, trying to sound convincing.

Jess was still skeptical but decided to let it go for now. She sighed, hoping there hadn't been any more trouble between Shaun and Rick. "I'd rather not do this right now or with you, but since we have no choice, I'll put aside my feelings until we finish this. But I expect full cooperation. Can you promise that?" she asked firmly.

"Of course, anything you need, Jessie," Shaun said smoothly. "But where were you earlier?"

"That's not your business," Jess replied, shifting the topic. "But if you must know, I was at the beachfront, working on the inspiration for our song. Want to hear what I came up with?"

"Sure, let's hear it," Shaun said, sounding genuinely interested. "But since we're already on your floor, could we stay in your room? I need some peace."

Jess hesitated but then nodded. "Alright, let's go inside." She unlocked her hotel door and motioned for Shaun to come in. He sat on the couch, and Jess handed him a cold drink, which he gratefully accepted.

She set up her laptop on the table and sat on the carpet, her excitement showing. Shaun moved closer and joined her on the floor, smiling as he watched her enthusiasm.

"So, what's your big idea?" Shaun asked.

"Well, since the song is about both of us, I thought we could start with our desires, fears, and what motivates us," She explained.

Shaun nodded. "That's a good start. We should also tell a story with the lyrics. Maybe the chorus could show our shared journey in music, even though we started for different reasons."

Jess smiled. "I like that. We can do your part in the first verse, mine in the second, and then bring it together in the chorus."

"Exactly," Shaun agreed. "Do you have any ideas for the melody?"

"I'm open to your expertise," Jess said. "I'd prefer something slow and acoustic, to let the story come through."

Shaun was impressed by Jess's creativity. Seeing her so passionate reminded him of how brilliant she was. "I'm glad you're my partner," he said sincerely.

Jess felt a lump in her throat but kept her feelings to herself. Instead, she focused on their work, surprised by how well they were connecting.

As Jess moved to the balcony for better focus, Shaun watched her, admiring her concentration and the way the setting sun highlighted her features. Regret washed over him, wishing he could mend their broken relationship.

"Are you done writing?" Jess asked softly from the balcony.

"Not yet," Shaun replied, still focused on his notes.

She came back and sat next to him on the couch. She showed him her draft, which was touching and vulnerable, "hey listen to this." 

"You used to be the force that made my life going, But you poisoned my love
as I continued believing
You wondered where my affection went, where it went?
As my emotions for you were all spent."

"Wow," Shaun said softly. "This is beautiful. But who's this guy anyway?" he asked, trying to lighten the mood.

Jess rolled her eyes. Shaun, seeing her reaction, took her hands in his and said sincerely, "I'm sorry, Jessie, for everything."

She nodded, pulling her hand back, and thought, I haven't forgiven you yet, Shaun. She then returned to her notes, focusing on their work.

Shaun continued writing, his mind still on how to repair their relationship. He stretched his legs and accidentally inched closer to Jess, who had fallen asleep on the couch.

Her serene expression and the way she rested peacefully captivated him. He brushed a stray strand of hair from her face, hesitating as he considered kissing her. But just as he leaned in, a loud knock on the door startled him.

He stood up and opened the door to find Rick. He looked surprised as he glanced into the room.

"Shut up; she's sleeping," Shaun said sharply.

Rick raised an eyebrow. "Then why are you still here?"

Shaun smirked. "I don't know how much you know about Jess and me, but we're more than just childhood friends. Sharing a space is normal for us."

Rick's expression darkened as he realized there was more to their history than he thought. Jess stirred awake and saw Rick.

"Rick, come in. I must have dozed off," Jess said. She gave Shaun a questioning look wondering why he was blocking the doorway, realizing his actions he reluctantly moved aside.

Rick entered and set a pizza box on the table. "I figured you hadn't eaten yet," he said. "Why don't you have a bite before you continue?"

Jess gratefully accepted the food. "Thank you, Rick. I was too tired to even think of food."

Rick smiled and then turned to Shaun. "You're welcome to have some too."

Shaun sat back down on the couch, his posture showing silent tension. Rick helped Jess set up plates and utensils, commenting on her smile with a playful pinch on her cheek.

Jess blushed, clearly flustered. "What's with the cheek pinching?" she asked.

Rick laughed. "The dimples are my weakness," he admitted, making Shaun bristle with jealousy.

Jess tried to move past the awkward moment, focusing on setting up for their meal. The tension between Shaun and Rick was thick, and Jess found herself caught between them. As they started eating, Jess tried to break the ice. "What's going on between you two?"

Both men fell silent, exchanging uneasy glances. Rick spoke up first. "There's a campfire near the shore tonight—games, music, just hanging out. Want to come?"

"Hmmm... yeah, I guess," Jess agreed. "It'll be nice to enjoy it before the boot camp ends."

"Count me in too," Shaun declared.

Rick shot him a sideways glance. "No one invited you."

"Well, I'm inviting myself," Shaun shot back, unbothered by Rick's sarcasm.

Jess sighed inwardly, anticipating a lively evening ahead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 84.6K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...
Damaged By .

Fanfiction

590 53 12
"You fed me fear, I spoke to God I was living my dreams through your eyes Building my life on your lies, yeah You just laughed when I cried.. " Jess...
1.4M 391 1
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
187K 11K 38
(Completed) With a past and now a present, can they have a future? Once again Bethany is planning the foundation's annual winter gala and the last pe...