The King's Obsession ✔️

By Midika

Having survived the River, Akara wakes alone, and with a decision to make. Find Marek, the mysterious hunter... More

ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
Epilogue

TWENTY NINE

1.7K 84 3
By Midika

Word Count: 1394

~Akara

I stare up at the steps leading onto the temporary stage, shuddering.

The last thing I want is to be here, in this Jade Province village, expected to pretend like I'm marrying Tai. But if I want any chance of saving Marek's life, I'm going to have to act, until I can get that antidote myself.

"Take my hand," Tai encourages.

I stare down at it, knowing where he plans to lead me. "Do I have to?"

"Maintaining appearances, right?" He offers a smile, but I don't return it. I've dressed in this ridiculous garb to please him, so for now, I have no other choice but to plaster a smile on my face and gaze up at Tai like he's the love of my life, because we are about to step on stage before an entire village of people.

Sliding my hand into his, I allow him Tai to lead me carefully up the stairs and onto the stage, to stand before the people, who merely stare up at us blankly, waiting to decide whether they want to trust us or not.

They have survived a rebellion, which cannot have been good for any of them. I understand why a lot of them are angry.

Tai squeezes my hand. "Hello everyone, it is great to be back."

Nobody says anything. Some glance between each other, expressions solemn, while others just blankly stare between the two of us. I wish I could scream at them for help, tell them none of this is real, and that I need them to save me.

But there is a chance none of them are on my side.

"As you all know, rebels took control of this Territory, however my sister has been taken into custody, and I have taken over reign again as the rightful King," Tai explains, unintentionally sounding boastful to the point I could roll my eyes.

Again, everyone remains still, unconvinced.

"I understand a lot of you are angry for what happened, and Vaia will be executed publicly as a result," he continues.

This seems to spark more of an interest, people breaking out into murders, some even looking excited. So much for Vaia being for the people. It seems her influence has caused more pain than good here. I may not like Tai, but I am glad for the hold Vaia had over innocent people, and that they may be better of with Tai.

"For now, Akara and I will be ruling together, as we will marry in a month's time, and it will actually happen, this time," he says, garnering a few laughs.

I force a smile onto my face, letting Tai wrap his arm around my waist, tugging me closer.

I think he is going to continue speaking, but instead, I feel his fingers brush against my cheek, turning my face toward him. Every ounce of me wants to pull away, but I can't, knowing what is on the line as he draws me into to kiss him.

As his lips press against mine, I let my eyes flutter closed. It's a polite kiss, for everyone to see, but it feels nothing like how it used to feel, kissing Tai. It's devoid of all feeling, of all love.

He pulls away, smiling, but I'm haunted, forcing myself to appear happy, when my insides are turning over uneasily.

"Tai..." I whisper, wondering what people would think if I slit his throat, right here, in front of everyone.

"Akara," he warns lowly.

He doesn't have to say it, that I need to maintain appearances. I just hope he can see how angry I am through my eyes, before we turn back to everyone.

Tai looks over everyone. "Now, everyone-"

He's cut off, as something slim comes whizzing through the air, and strikes me between my chest and shoulder, sending my hurtling back onto the floor of the stage.

Pain blooms at the site of the wound, my entire body curling up on reflex. It's an arrow, lodged into my shoulder, blood streaming from the wound, staining my clothing. Screams and shouts echo through the air at the sight of me being hit, seemingly from out of nowhere.

"Akara!" I hear Tai yell, at my side in an instance.

"I've been shot..." I groan, cradling the spine of the arrow, hands shaking. It hasn't killed me yet, at least, but with all the blood pouring from me, I can feel my luck slipping away from me, the edge of my gaze starting to blur.

Tai's guards shroud me, before picking me up, carrying me off the stage and behind it, laying me on the grass. I wince, trying to breathe through the overwhelming pain, but there is no escaping it.

"Go and find who shot her...But bring them back alive, I need to talk to them," Tai growls, gesturing at his guards. They all nod, rushing off.

Just as the round the stage, another figure comes around, looking frantic.

I must be dead, because that can't be Marek.

Sure enough, he's approaching, staring at me with panic. Of course he was nearby, watching. I knew he wouldn't leave the province, even if it meant putting his life at risk. He's always close by, making sure I'm safe, never getting too far away.

"Are you okay?" he asks as he comes closer, until Tai steps in front of him, blocking his view of me.

"Get away from her," he snaps.

"Let me see her," Marek demands. He could see Tai hurtling for the floor if he wanted to, but he's smart enough to realise the consequences of that, even without all the guards swarming around.

Tai presses his hand to Marek's chest, unbothered by the anger that ghosts across Tai's face. "She's my wife..."

"No, she's not," Marek growls, gritting his teeth tightly. "Get out of my way."

He shoulders Tai out of the way, coming to my side. Tai looks as though he wants to protest more, but one of his guards emerges from the side of the stage, looking as though she have news on my assailant, thankfully pulling his attention away from us.

"Are you okay?" Marek asks, looking at where the arrow is still lodged into my skin. The wince on his expression tells me everything I need to know. He has felt this pain before, and considering how expertly he wields his own bow, he is aware of the kind of damage that it can do to someone.

"I've been shot. I think I'm going to die," I mutter. I swear the metallic taste of blood still lingers in my mouth.

Marek grabs my hand, using his spare one to cradle my head. "You're not, alright? This looks like a flesh wound."

"You need to go, before you make Tai angry," I insist, looking at the King's back. His paitence will wear thin, and he will have Marek imprisoned again, except this time, it won't be so easy to strike a deal with him.

Marek looks over his shoulder grimly, knowing I'm right. "Meet me on the forest line in three days. You should feel better by then."

At least he's optimistic, I think, nodding. "Okay..."

"I'm going to find who did this. And I'm going to kill them," he assures me.

If there is anything I believe, it's that. Marek won't stop until he's found who fired that arrow, and he will make them pay in the most horrific of ways.

He gives me a lasting look, as he lets go of my hand, and stands. Tai is just turning around as Marek vanishes behind the stage, untraceable to his guards if he decides to send them on a hunt for him.

Tai appears at my side, where Marek was kneeling only moments ago. "Come on, let's get you back to a healer."

"This is your fault, Tai," I breathe, trying not to succumb to the pain, to the darkening edges of my gaze.

He winces, expression pained, but his eyes are unreadable. "I know, I'm so sorry Akara."

I hold his gaze, even as unconsciousness tugs at me. All I can do is hope that I wake up from this.

💙••💙

Remember that you can always find this story 10 chapters ahead on Radish (:

You will find it under King's Possession Season Three!!

~Midika 🐼💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77 5 32
In the enigmatic realm of Lawrence City, Milia grapples with the sudden disappearance of her husband, unveiling a web of mysteries. As she delves dee...
2.6K 290 34
After carelessly promising to marry the king of monsters, Elle wakes up to find herself trapped in a kingdom of mythical creatures. Soon she discover...
3.3K 38 43
With the worst wedding day and captured with the enemy. Zoe has to figure out her forced proximity with this cold hearted dragon for all eternity.
352K 7.2K 31
A nameless slave has endured her fair share of suffering over her nineteen years. Her whole life has revolved around keeping the farm animals safe an...