The King's Queen | βœ”

By XclusivelyA

*Book 3 in the Soulmates Series* "There will come a time when you must endure difficult trials that will put... More

Author's Note
About The Crysauralian Empire
Origin Families and Their Corresponding Origen Ranks
Recap of The Prince's FiancΓ©e
Prologue I
Prologue II
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50 Pt. 1
Chapter 50 Pt. 2
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 Pt. 1
Chapter 55 Pt. 2
Chapter 56 Pt. 1
Chapter 56 Pt. 2
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 32

6.1K 478 134
By XclusivelyA

I waited another day; another day that drew by so tormentingly slow. Jackson still hadn’t been able to get a hold of Demetri and we were growing more restless by the minute. It was time I took matters into my own hands. I had to go back to Crysauralia and get word of the emperor’s plan to Ashton. It was risky, seeing as I hadn’t shifted yet and it was only a matter of time before I did, but there was no other way.

“Luca’s back now,” Rosaline mentioned after breakfast. “He came back early this morning but you were fast asleep. He didn’t want to wake you.”

“Where is he now? I need to talk to him.”

“I’m sure you have a lot to say to each other.” She nodded. “You’ll shift soon, very soon.”

“That’s exactly why I need to speak to him.”

We went to Luca’s office after we were finished. His warm embrace greeted me as soon as I stepped through the doors. He inhaled deeply before releasing me with a smile. “Elizabeth, it seems like forever since I’ve seen you.”

“Well,  forever was just three days ago.” The corners of my lips tilted up to return his smile.

“Still, it’s so rejuvenating to see you again. I feel like I’ve just taken a sip from the fountain of youth,” he joked.

I walked with him over to his desk, fiddling with my fingers a bit. I didn’t know how he would take my request but this was a matter that required great urgency. I decided to break the ice a little first.

“How was your meeting with the other Origins?” I asked, perching on the edge of the chair across from the mahogany desk.

“I didn’t see them.” A deep frown crossed his face. “I thought some members of the Dagon and Elfwind families had gathered in the East but there were no signs of them. The Association must have gotten there first.” He loosened his tie with a sigh. His eyes flitted to Rosaline, who immediately stepped forward; ready to do anything he wanted. “Rosaline, you didn’t let them know that I was back yet, did you?”

“Of course not.” She shook her head. “I’ve kept your return a secret as you requested.”

“Good. If word that I was alive got out among the Origins, then no doubt the Association would start to move. I have a plan but I need the element of surprise on my side.”

I stared at the ground, feeling disheartened by the cruelty of the Origen Association. Of course Emperor Caden would have found some way to be involved in it.

“I sense you have a question for me, Elizabeth,” Luca spoke up.

I stared at him, my lips parted in surprise. “Origins can sense thing like that?”

That earned a low chuckle and his eyes gleamed in amusement. “No, my dear, but I know you have something you want to ask me. I can tell. Call it a father’s intuition.”

I smiled softly at that. It still felt weird but strangely satisfying having him right in front of me. I’d love to introduce him to my adoptive parents, but they would probably find his youthful appearance concerning. He could pass for mid-thirties at most, not exactly the age where he could father a twenty-one year old.

“I do have something I want to ask…” I trailed off, unsure of how to tell him that I needed to go back to the country of his sworn enemies and risk shifting at any moment. “There’s something important I need to do and I’m the only one who can do it.”

“What is it?” He asked, gesturing for me to go on.

“I have to go back to Crysauralia fo- Please hear me out,” I continued quickly as his eyes widened and Rosaline let out a dramatic gasp behind me.

“Have you lost your mind?” She asked incredulously. “Aren’t you aware of how risky that would be?”

“I am,” I answered, “but there’s someone who’s in far more danger than I am and I need to help them.”

“That doesn’t matt-” She argued, but Luca held a hand up to stop her.

“I’m curious to know who could be so important that you’re willing to risk your life for them.”

“It’s Prince CaVaughn,” I admitted. “He’s in danger but he doesn’t know it.”

“I missed the part where that’s our problem,” Rosaline hissed.

“Now, now, Rosaline,” Luca appeased before she could get even more riled up. His eyes held hints of confusion but other than that I couldn’t tell what he was thinking. Ezra had been silent throughout the entire conversation but I had a feeling he would side with Luca. “What is this about, Elizabeth?”

“I’ve just found out that Ashton’s brother is in danger and I need to go back and warn them. It’s about the Association,” I whispered the last part.

“The Association,” Luca murmured, closing his eyes for a few seconds. “They found out that he is a hybrid? That Malekh Luciano,” he shook his head, “the first thing he does after gaining Eleanor’s ability is to change a DeLorentes. You don’t have to worry about the DeLorentes child,” he said. “His father will handle the situation.”

“His father handling it is exactly the reason why I have to go. He’s planning on offering CaVaughn up to the Association to prove his loyalty to them. They’ll kill him if he goes to Gregoria.”

Luca seemed to contemplate that before heaving another sigh and leaning against his chair. “I’ll leave it to Malekh to handle. He should be back by tomorrow.”

“There’s no time to wait. CaVaughn could be in Gregoria by then. I have to-”

“Stay here,” he finished. “You have to stay here. It’s too risky for you to even step foot in Crysauralia right now.”

I stared at him in disbelief. “CaVaughn will die if I just sit by and wait!”

“I’ve made it a point not to interfere in matters of the DeLorentes,” he said. “Getting mixed up with them right now won’t do us any good.”

“Us?” I asked, my voice colder. “I think you meant to refer to yourself. Unlike you, I care about what happens to him.”

“I’m only trying to protect you.”

“Can you? If you’d been there like you were supposed to, then you could have done something about my mother dying. You promised to protect her and you couldn’t. Maybe you should stop making promises that you can’t keep.”

“Elizabeth, that’s enough!” That came from Ezra whose eyes were wide with disbelief. Rosaline stood beside him, her jaw slack and for once she was speechless.

A muscle clenched in Luca’s jaw and sorrow clouded his features as he stared at his steepled fingers with a sigh. “I understand that you’re angry but you’ll understand soon enough just how dangerous they are, Elizabeth. You’re right about me being unable to save Isabelle, which is why I’m willing to go to any lengths I can to save you.”

“Well, you’re fifteen years too late for that. The DeLorentes’ are already a part of my life whether you like it or not.”

He swallowed hard at my words and sighed. “I don’t care much for that family, but if it’s what you really want, I’ll contact Malekh immediately.”

“I’ll tell Malekh myself,” I spat and turned on my heels. “I’m going to my room. Don’t call for me.”

I walked out of the office and my knees immediately felt like jelly. I pressed a hand to my heart and let out a shaky breath at the performance I'd just put on. Callie would have by proud of my acting. I couldn’t believe what I just said to Luca. I could see the pain in his eyes and that hurt me. I wanted to apologize and tell him that I didn’t mean it, but I couldn’t do that yet. I was going to Crysauralia whether he liked it or not. Hopefully my words would be enough to make him leave me alone for a few hours.

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes, knowing that he might never forgive me for what I said to him and I ferociously blinked them back as I made my way to my room. I never saw Ezra pass me but when I got to my room he was already by the door, waiting, with a displeased frown on his face.

“I want to be alone,” I murmured. I looked away from him, still blinking back my tears.

He walked over to me and I was sure an angry lecture was in store, but instead he brandished a handkerchief from his pocket and dried my tears. “Your father would never want you to cry.”

“I said some horrible stuff to him.” I sniffed.

“It’s nothing he hasn’t been telling himself over the years. You might think he doesn’t care but Luca is trying his best to protect you. He's been through a lot. You’re all he has left.”

“He has the other Origins too.”

Ezra was silent at that. “You’re-”

What he was saying was cut short as Rosaline appeared in front of me, her face contorted in fury. If there was ever a time where I should be afraid of an Origin, it would be right now. She looked just about ready to rip my head off my body… and was she faster than usual?

“Never in my two hundred years have I seen a more ungrateful child!” She yelled. “Do you have any idea what you said to Luca? To your father?! You’ve been an adult for a year and you think you’re old enough to give your father a lecture?”

“I’ve been an adult for three years,” I reminded her.

She exhaled lowly and rolled her eyes. “You don’t even know anything about your own people but you want to wedge yourself in the affairs of the DeLorentes. Origins become adults at twenty, not at eighteen like humans do. We are not the same and our traditions are different. That’s something you should spend time to learn instead of throwing a temper tantrum like a spoiled brat!”

“I need some time to myself,” I murmured. “I want to be alone for a few hours.”

“You,” she spat, turning to give Ezra a withering once-over. “You baby her too much, Ezra Gaignory! Luca doesn’t want her being so weak.”

“Luca wants her to be happy and so do I.”

“Look at you playing the benevolent godfather,” she scoffed and turned to me. “You, go to your room and reflect on your actions. I want a detailed apology ready for Luca by dinnertime.”

“You’re grounding me?” I asked, half in disbelief and half in relief. This worked out better than I thought.

“For lack of a better term, yes. Don’t you dare come out until you’re ready to apologize.”

“You can come out whenever you want,” Ezra assured me. “Luca doesn’t intend to make you a prisoner.”

“This is why we don’t get along.” Rosaline narrowed her eyes at him. “You don’t do what’s best for Luca.”

“What’s best for Elizabeth is what’s best for Luca,” he stated simply.

“What’s best for Luca is what’s best for Elizabeth,” she argued back.

I backed away from them, pointing my thumb in the direction of the room. “I’m going to go ground myself if that’s okay.”

“Go,” Rosaline snapped.

I quickly went to my room and closed the door behind me with a sigh. My heart felt heavy, laden with guilt but I didn’t have time to let it consume me. My eyes frantically scanned every inch of the room.

“Are you in here?”

“Is this the part where I jump out and say ‘boo’?”

“Garrett!” I breathed a sigh of relief. I glanced behind me warily and lowered my voice. “Thanks for coming!”

“Don’t thank me,” he grouched. “I’m not doing this for free. If your Origin dad finds out, I’m as good as dead.”

“They won’t find out,” I stated confidently. “We’ll pop in and out as promised.”

“If this goes south, I’m high-tailing it out of there without you.” He narrowed his eyes at me. “I’m not your bodyguard anymore and I have someone I need to protect.”

Someone?” I echoed. “I thought you said the Spade Kingdom had something you wanted.”

“What are you, a grammar coach? Anyway it’s none of your business. You’ll really talk to Malekh about getting me what I want?”

“I will when he gets back.”

“And you’re sure he’ll listen to you?”

“I’m not proud of it, but I do have something I can use as leverage.” I flashed him a bashful grin.

“I don’t even want to know.” He sighed and extended a hand to me. “We need to come back before the seal breaks which can happen anytime now. Ready to go, angel eyes?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” I took his hand and exhaled.

I’m sorry, Luca

*°*

Hey, lovelies! Thanks for reading!

Elizabeth is in the running for an Oscar. Did you fall for her performance of being angry with Luca? What was your reaction?

Garrett is helping Elizabeth to go back to Crysauralia. Thoughts on this?

Is she making the right choice by returning to Crysauralia?

Leave a comment and a vote ☆ if you'd like and I'll see you in the next chapter ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 193 39
General's Daughter Prince of Aizaica kingdom And a arrange marriage! Elyse Madden a sweet but Tempered girl, Daughter of General Cyrus is forced a ma...
24.8K 848 37
Confronted by deeply suppressed feelings of love and grief, Danielle, a fierce young independent Cake Shop owner, tries to find the meaning of life...
1.3M 68.7K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
155K 9.2K 37
Book #2 of the Damned series. With Juliet's return, everything is flipped upside down. Still weak from her revert to her true form, she may not...