Stuck In Time

By StephanieMcnear

Lyra was living her life as a single mother, when her world gets turned upside down. Finding herself in the p... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9

Chapter 3

295 8 0
By StephanieMcnear

Standing in darkness, not able to see a thing. Opening and closing her eyes made her know that it made no difference. Taking deep breathes, straining to hear anything. Closing her eyes, knowing it changes nothing but tries to remain calm. She wonders what she's doing here. Not remembering what caused her to be standing in nothingness.

Sitting down and pulling her knees to her chest. Resting her head on them. The silence starting to get to her. The feeling of being alone started to fade.
Footsteps could be heard echoing all around her. Pulling herself closer, pushing her eyes into her forearm. A light slowly getting closer along with the footsteps getting louder.

Coming to a stop in front of her. Feeling the figure in front of her coming closer, she could hear them kneeling in front on her from the rustling of their clothing. Fingertips pushing her hair back on both sides of head, before gently grasping the back of her head and chin. Pulling her head upwards, she could hear a feminine chuckle.

"Open your eyes child. For I will not harm you." Snapping eyes open, widening as big as they'll go. What kneels before her is a woman. Well somewhat, she looked like a woman. Her hair was different patches of red, gold, white, and black, and instead of human ears, they were floppy and the same patchyness as her hair. "Who are you? Where am I?" Lyra asked. Wanting to back away but was frozen and stiff.
Looking down at her, the woman's head tilted to the side, examining her. She started to stand bringing the girl with her.

Feeling herself being pulled up, her arms and hands pulled against her chest. Giving her a sense of security. They stared at each other, before the strange woman smiled at her. Using one hand to pet her hair back giving her a gentle look. "You are where you belong." Still smiling down on the young girl. "And where would that be?" Still confused, not understanding why she was here and could not for the life of her remember why she's there. "Home."

The world around them brightened drastically. All around them was miles of desert and a large river surrounded by foliage. The strange woman put her larger hands on hers, pulling them away from her body. Holding them in her hands, she turned and the world moved quickly. Almost like fast forwarding, tens of thousands of people building massive buildings, walls, roads, pillars, temples, gardens, homes, and farmland. Lyra started feeling lightheaded from the fast movement, before it finally slowed.

All around her people were going about their day. The other woman was still holding her hand before walking forward pulling her along. The world started moving fast again till it was nighttime. Both were standing in a room lit up by torches. In the room were two women, one standing on the balcony looking out, another standing not to far watching over the other. She looked just like her, nothing like the one she was standing by. Watching the woman at the balcony tightening her fists and turning her head away. The other her moved over and layed a hand on the other woman looking to where she had.

As Lyra and the strange woman watched the two. Both women watched on as the women in egyptian clothing stiffened. She jumped a little when the larger woman pulled her closer. She was able to see what the others seemed so disgusted about.

Across the way on another balcony, a man and woman were kissing. Then seeing them jump apart. The man moving to one side to hide. While the woman positioned herself by a statue. The curtains closed, almost obscuring the view. Another man with a headress on walked in, and pointed at the woman. The man from before came behind the other. "Medjai! My father needs your help!" Screamed the finely dressed woman. The one by her now gripping a hand on her shoulder and balcony. Both women watched the woman he was yelling at first strike the man when his back was turned looking at the other man. Lyra screamed as the finely dressed woman screamed leaning too far over the edge, only the other her screamed a muffled name and grabbing at her and being pulled over as well. She stood there watching fingers holding the ledge slipping then were gone.

Lyra wanted to help, but the strange woman held strong. Before she could blink they were standing on a cliffside overlooking the desert. The woman released her hand and walked closer to the edge. "What was that?! Why would you show me that?!" Lyra shrieked out. Stepping away from her. "I brought you home." She looked at Lyra like it was an obvious thing. "What do you mean home?! I just saw three people die!" Lyra screamed. "You have already seen that have you not. Having memories of past lives and visions past, present, and future were your blessing." The strange woman stated. Before Lyra could say more the woman cut her off. "You were given a gift. Many will want it." "You say they were memories or visions. What about the man I see?" "I can't tell you that now."

Walking further away from her to look out over the desert. She didn't seem to care that the she had dropped to the ground. "You say my future. What you showed me was my past then." Looking her over seeing the nod. Breathing started to quicken, feeling the world darkening. "You will learn. We will meet again." Turning to her. "Wait! Who are you?" The woman gave her a smile. "Hathor." The world around her darkened before she felt nothing.

Dreams came and went. She would remember waking up but only for a few moments before sleep claimed her again. When she finally came to. She could see light through her lids. Feeling someone pressing something cool to her forehead alarmed her.

Her eyes shot open, as well as sitting up. Seeing another woman in the room, half her face covered but could see from her brows and eyes she was startled. The other woman tried speaking with her, but the words seemed weird to her. The woman was speaking a different language, but what scared her were when the words were starting to form sentences she could understand. Eyes shooting around the room, seeing but not seeing. The other woman tried to get her to calm down, but Lyra screamed in terror before jumping from the bed and running.

Running out of the building she was in, the sun blinded her for a moment before looking around. Panic started to build up. Men and woman dressed in robes and shawls. Sand everywhere. People were stopping what they were doing to look at her. She took off again after hearing the woman calling for her. As she ran, men in black robes came. Seeing the swords attached to their hips frightened her more. Turning around and racing around a few buildings down and running towards one that was a little ways off.

Not even twenty feet from the building. She was tackled to the ground. Tears started falling from her eyes as she screamed and struggled against whoever caught her. Trying to hit and kick whoever it was, two large hands grabbed her wrists slamming them to the ground. She could feel them swing a leg over her thighs to restrain her more. Still crying and screaming she tried to thrust her hips up to throw them off but they held fast. They were speaking to her, but she heard nothing but her fast breathing, screams, and heartbeat. Feeling her hands being brought over her head in one hand. The other covered her mouth to quiet her screams. The person moved closer and as she breathed in she could smell sand, a manly musk, and a campfire. She felt her strength leaving her. Most likely the adrenaline leaving. She lost all reasons to fight. Eyes focused in, only to see the face of who caught her making them widen. A face she never thought was real. Tanned skin, tattoos on both cheeks and his forehead, trimmed goate and mustache, strong jawline, and long dark wavy hair. She just stared taking him in. He was breathing hard either from the chase and fighting her. His brow drawn in frustration or irritation she didn't know. Her eyes were drawn to his lips as he spoke. "Calm yourself." He looked down at her with those dark brown eyes. They almost seemed to pull her in, she felt her body give in even more and relax. Seeing she was calmer he leaned back a bit and let go of her mouth. "Do you understand me?" He asked, which she just nodded. Seeing her just staring, he got off her then picked her up and headed back to his home. His brow released its tension only for a moment before hearing his name being called.

Ardeth was sitting with the elders. He felt tired from not sleeping but did not show it. They called him to discuss the foreign woman. "Why would you bring a foreigner to our village." One of the elders said loudly. "She was out in the desert unconscious." He answered. Looking at their reaction. "Unconscious? What if she was with one of those archeologist?" He stayed strong with his words. "She was alone. We were doing rounds when the lighting flashed over the city of the dead and struck down." The elders looked more concerned with the mention of the place. "The city revealed itself. We headed there straight away. When I found her, she was injured. But no signs anyone else had been there." The elders started talking amongst themselves. Speaking louder. "She knew my name." Silence was brought among them. "She knew your name. Have you met her before?" Before he could answer a scream was heard.

He quickly got up and moved to the exit. Seeing his fellow villagers looking in the direction of his home. The elders rushed after him as he made his way to where the scream came from. Seeing some of the warriors running he stepped in. "What is happening?" "The woman. She ran from your home." Cursing to himself, he ran just before he reached his home he saw her running around one of the buildings. Making his way in between the buildings, he saw her running towards the lone building. Pushing himself to move faster, he closed in on her. Coming at her from an angle grabbing one arm and the other around the waist, twisting to bring her down. He tried to talk to her but she screamed, cried, and started fighting him. Hissing as she punched and kicked at him he snatched her wrists and brought them down. Hearing her screams made him feel guilty for the fear she was most likely feeling. With her legs still kicking he needed to restrain her. When both of her legs were down for just a moment he climbed on top of her. Feeling her struggle under him brought a warmth to him. Feeling her move under him, he was able to feel her pressed against him. When she screamed again. He brought both of her wrist into one hand and covered her mouth with his free. Once he was leaning down he tried soothing her. The fight in her did not last long. She looked at him with wide eyes. "Calm yourself." Seeing she was somewhat calm, he slowly lifted his hand from her mouth only to lay it by her shoulder. Leaning away just a bit. Looking her over, she was breathing hard, but the warmth he felt left him seeing tears in her eyes. Almost as if she saw nothing or most likely dazed. Taking a chance since she didn't respond to him before. "Do you understand me?" He asked quietly, not wanting to spook her. When she nodded he let out a breath. He was still breathing hard from the chase,  subduing her was another thing. She had a fire in her. Her hits, though being from a woman, did hurt a little. Looking her over for any more injuries, he noticed her breathing strained her breast against the clothing. Her hair flared out around her head a fiery red. Looking down at her face, he caught her eyes examining his own face. The look of disbelief, recognition, and complete fascination said everything. She knew him.

Just from seeing her face he could see exhaustion settling in. Letting go of her wrist to kneel beside her, she didn't move. Only keeping her eyes on him. Lifting her back in his arms, one of hers laid on his shoulder while the other across her stomach. Making his was back to his home. The elders called to him but he kept walking.

The elders watched in both concern and confusion. They know Ardeth had come to them about the dreams he had of a woman. Witnessing the interaction between the two, they knew this was her. As they let let him pass. They discussed amongst themselves before turning to the lone building to visit the old seer that resided there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.4K 693 20
Mae thought she had her whole life planned out, she was going to marry her long time boyfriend, have a family, and just live this perfect life. But h...
242 86 25
A story revolves around a dark fantasy world
Reader By Anjie Kendall

Science Fiction

146 2 21
Beatrix doesn't live in a normal world. Not any more. Seventy-five years ago, the lights all over the world went out. And when they came back on, pe...
40 5 53
Lessa's world is turned upside down when she is pulled into a new world and told she is supposed to save it.